main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! from downtown Keldabe, on a cool, kind of overcast but the sun is peaking through a bit now. It's a Victory afternoon! Welcome on into the Rancor Pit, we're the Guardians of the Galactic Cup. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you!"

"Will the show live up to that game yesterday?"

"Wha...? Well I won't go that far. Not much can live up to that game."

"So awesome throughout, what a sendoff for one of the greats."

"But we will have a damn good show. In fact we'll have head coach..."

"And starting half forward in yesterday's game."

"...Ryi Kor'le on later in the show to share her thoughts on what was a classic game of limmie played yesterday."

"For sure, it's actually official now too now by the way. I saw HSN Classic was replaying the game as an "Instant Classic" as I was on my way to work."

"Aww man. Why didn't you tell me? I would have loved to have seen the play by play for that game."

"It'll be on again I'm sure."

"Yeah. But what a game to see live right?"

"Amazing."

"It was. Great back and forth struggle between two titans all wrapped up in the emotion of this being Alana's last ever visit to the Meshla Vhetin."

"They mentioned that on the holo-cast, that for as long as there has been a Mercs team in the ELL there has been an Alana Glencross to oppose them."

"Oh wow, Yeah I hadn't thought of that."

"Truly truly an amazing career."

"She'll be missed. She actually out scored Kor'le yesterday, but it didn't matter because we won. Wow what a victory, and the game itself was great too!"

"It was epic."

"I loved how the players kind of cleared out there in the middle of the second half, just let Alana and Kor'le go at it."

"That was bad limmie, but I know the fans enjoyed it, and the players out there did too I bet."

"Not every day you get to see two living legends..."

"That kind of live up to the legend"

"...go at it like that for the last time."

"I think they just stood back there for a bit to really appreciate what they were witnessing."

"I think after that game we all appreciated it, not only what we were watching, but what we are going to miss after this season."

"Going to be a strange new world next season."

a few segments later

"Welcome back, as promised in the show's open we are very fortunate to have Mercs head coach Ryi Kor'le here with us on the BlasTech No Disintegration hotline. Coach Kor'le how are ya feeling this afternoon?"

"Hello aruettise. I'm a little sore, not ashamed to admit that, but feeling good. Great team win for us yesterday."

"OK, yeah the win was great, the other players played great, but let's face it, this game was all about you and Glencross facing each other one last time. Had to be an emotional game for you right? How did you feel during and after the game?"

"Aay'han."

"Excuse me?"

"The team president?"

There was a loud sigh that could be heard over the hotline now. "No you aruetiise savages, Aay'han, it's a feeling. It's...hard to explain to non-mando'ade."

"Wait so the wife of the Manda'lor is named after a...."

"OK, so go ahead and try Coach."

"It's that perfect moment in time, right where mourning and joy meet. It's..."

"Difficult to explain?"

"Yes. But that entire game, all of it from every missed tackle to every score. Every point given up to every blocked shot. All the blood and sweat and even the tears afterwards. It was..."

"Aay'han."

"Yes."

"You mentioned tears Coach. Can you tell us what you and Alana said to each other after the game ended?"

"No."

"Ummm No?"

"That was a private moment, played out across the Galaxy no doubt, between someone I consider a vod now. I won't be sharing it."

"A sister? You two have had some contentious moments in the past. Especially right after you both entered the league."

"The impetuousness of youth combined with our competitive nature. We've both been through a lot since those early days. Grown and matured, and we're both better for it. Our rivalry taught us so much."

"That competitive nature was more than evident yesterday, you look like you could still play. Any thoughts of staying on as a player-coach?"

"No, none. I love the game of meshgeroya, and I still enjoy playing, but I am in a different place in my life now. When I left the game, it was...under hard circumstances and i know there are those who say i retired too early..."

"Prime of your career."

"...and I don't regret that decision. But I never had a chance to say goodbye to the league, not the way Glencross is right now."

"So you're saying..."

"Yesterday was not only a chance to play a great rival one last time, it wasn't just to say goodbye to her, but it was a chance for myself to let go and say goodbye to playing meshgeroya as well."

"Aay'han, I think I get it now."

"Aay'han."

There was a moment of awkward silence in the studio that was sent out over the wave.

"OK. So. Great win, and gives the Mercs a winning record after their first home stand of the season. But now you have three tough road games ahead of you, starting on Ylesia next week. Any thoughts?"

"This is the crucible in which this team will be forged. We're the defending champions and I know we are getting the best look out of every team in the league as they come gunning for us. Ylesia was a great host to us the last time we played there, the memories made winning our first ever Galactic Cup will never fade. But I expect them to be not quite so hosipiatble this time around."

"No kidding, after that you have to travel to Kashyyyk, undefeated Kashyyyk, have..."

"We just lay them one week at a time Justin. You know that. Once we get past Ylesia, then I will worry about the wookiees. Until then though, we have the Lightning to concern ourselves with."

"OK, about the Lightning then. I know it's early in the season, but they are a first place team and hold the league's third best defense. How do you counter that, especially given our lack of depth at the Full Forward position?"

"Well, we signed Arcus in an attempt to address that. Given yesterday's unique circumstances we treated that as a bye week for him, and just had him learning our schemes and getting himself ready for the rigors of professional meshgeroya."

"So that's why he didn't play yesterday, but he'll play this week?"

"That's right. He'll start this week against the Lightning and will be our starter going forward throughout the rest of the season."

"Any chance Langdon comes back?"

"She's in treatment for her knee, and there is a pretty good chance she will be back in a few weeks. But it may take some time to get her in playing shape, We'll see, team doctors should know more about that in the coming weeks."

"And what about Johnnie Limm...Lieznam? Any timetable on his return?"

"He is finishing up his rehab program now and should be released to our care soon, possibly even later this week. When he gets back we have a spot waiting for him as our backup Full Forward. We have an excellent motivator in Coach Er'Mey who will be making Lieznam's continued progress his personal pet project."

"Oh boy."

TAG: No One.

[​IMG]

Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Geoff Copin
    Royal Limmie Grounds, Ta'a Chume'Dan, Hapes

The Pirates took to the field ready or as ready as they would be. Geoff couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off about his team. They didn’t necessarily look like the Commissioner’s Trophy winning team they were last year. To be honest they hadn’t been that team since the crushing loss to the Mercs in the Skywalker Conference finals. Maybe that’s what it was; the loss so close to the Cup finals stole their will, stole their determination. Could it be that simple? Did his whole team have the yips? Where they so in their heads that they couldn’t focus?

Right away the offense was on point, driving at the net hard with speed but, the C-Bucs were ready for that stonewalling the advance. The front six didn’t give up though eventually putting one in the back off Rime’s foot. The Pirates were in the lead for the first time in ages. The feeling didn’t last. Boutros, who was still starting even after the illegal hit on Langdon, was out of position leaving the C-Bucs an open lane to the goal. They took it without hesitation. Qazi collected the ball and shook his head at Boutros. Geoff shared the sentiment the full back was clearly out of position another rookie mistake from the supposedly veteran Sabah.

Rime, Logan, and Vayan set to work trying to take the lead again. Moving quickly to the net harrying the goal with shots but, they were either off target or stopped easily. It hurt to see them struggling so hard and not get rewarded for their fight. Geoff looked to his assistant, the Devaronian was doing her best to remain stoic but, he knew it was eating at her. The defense that she had spent so much time on was being picked apart and she could do nothing about it. The head coach pinched the bridge of his nose and just looked on as the Buccaneers scored another goal.

The half backs were putting up a good fight Mikia was still making smart plays and hard hits. Rhodri did his best to organize the defense and stay strong in the middle. Ponie was holding down the left side putting herself in the way of the advance. Despite their valiant efforts the back line was making their jobs difficult Brian, Boutros and Samia couldn’t keep good coverage on their marks leaving them wide open for long passes from in front of the half backs. It was the same story as last year but, the offense couldn’t produce enough to offset the massive amount of points the backs were giving up.

As the clock began winding down the first half the game felt almost impossible to win at this point, not with the way the defense was playing. The offense was still going full out with the ‘All In’ but, it was still a losing battle against the stiff opposition. Else managed to get some space in the middle and couldn’t advance further. She looked left and right to her linemates neither was open. Her window to move was fast disappearing. With no other option she carefully dropped the ball from her hands and brought her foot up to punt it through the uprights.

The half ended in a lopsided score with the Pirates only able to put up a paltry five points with an additional bar point by Seiji. The coach was very disappointed in his team, and in himself. They were better than this, he was better than this. At the rate they were going the Pirates would be last in the league again, a feeling they thought they had put behind them but, was now staring them dead in the face. He hated this feeling, this feeling of powerlessness, the game was already decided and the team knew it. He wasn’t going to give in though, his first season had taught him that, you never give in, keep fighting.

“Kala,” he called out to the Kerestian “come in for Samia, Bel” he said addressing the other rookie defender, “Change out with Boutros and Scott, relieve Qazi.” The rookies weren’t going to change much but, they needed experience and now was as good a time as any.

The teams returned to the field more ready to get this over with than to play but, they were there and the crowd was cheering. They had every right to be excited their team was dominating the team that put the final nail in their coffin last season. The ‘Black Spot’ had become the ‘White Spot’ in be seen in the mass of dark blue and black, their black flag still waving. Geoff considered himself lucky to have such loyal fans. The even with game well out of reach for the Pirates but, the fans never stopped flying the flag.

Maybe the faith was rewarded because soon after the start Logan got a lucky bounce right in front of him and hammered it into the back of the net. It wasn’t enough but, it was something. The C-Buc answer was stopped at the back line by Kala taking up all the room on the right. Finally some defense. Sadly the back line only worked in fits and starts, sometimes in perfect position to stop the play other times, tricked by feints or pump fakes. Scott held up well showing how he earned the nickname “Brick Wall” but, this wasn’t college ball he couldn’t stop every shot and he still faced plenty.

The game remained as lopsided as it had been but there were still flashes of the team from last year. Whether it was Rime making an excellent pass in the ‘pack’ or Marky making a nice steal in the midfield they still had the talent but, it wasn’t on all the time. Like something prevented them from showing it. Maybe it was the fatigue, maybe it was the pressure but, it felt like something was holding the team back. Hopefully it could be sorted out but, it would have to wait for the next game this one was a loss didn’t take a genius to figure that one out.

Vayan got cut off from the others and couldn’t backtrack, with options limited he made the right call and booted the ball above the bar. As the final minutes ticked by Geoff waited for the game to end when something surprising happened. Scott made the save and waited for the signal to pass back out, getting the affirmative from Brian, the rookie netminder made an over hand throw to the back who played it with his feet around his mark. A swift boot up field got it into Ponie’s capable hands. The veteran half back moved deftly up the pitch muscling past the forwards and into the midfield. Dumping off to Marky she planted a pick for the younger player giving him a good run into the offensive zone. The dark skinned middie passed to Else. With time almost out she sent the ball off her foot and over the bar.

It was a last act of defiance, something the Pirates did often. A final flash of talent just before the game ends. It was both heartwarming and painful to witness. On the one hand it showed that they hadn’t fully given up but, also proved that they could have played a much better game from the start. After the final horn and accompanying fanfare the teams shook hands and the Pirates surrender the red ‘True Marauder’ flag, it’s black skeletal figure laughing at them as they did so. Maybe now things would get better. The Pirates had not won a game since taking possession of the crimson cloth, or maybe it was just wishful thinking. Either way, this game was done, it was time to prepare for the Miners, one of only two teams the Pirates have yet to beat and Geoff had a plan. He didn’t know if it would beat them, but at least it was something different.

TAG: jcgoble3

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Briar Thorne
    Week Two, shortly after Chandrila game

“Yes we’ve had good attendance, but I think we could do a little better,” Briar told a meeting of her staffers via holoconference from her apartment. “Fans like giveaways, that usually works.”

“But Ms. Thorne, giveaways are sometimes hard to gauge when the fanbase isn’t very engaged with the team they’re following,” the director of marketing commented. “In recent years, we haven’t drawn enough to really make a marketing ploy like that successful.”

“Which is the exact reason why we should be doing it,” Briar said, unmoved. It seemed perfectly logical to draw fans out with free giveaways. Lower-level teams were famously using items to bring in more fans, and a few Elite League teams gave out stuff (termed “swag” in the modern parlance) to fans in attendance. “If we start losing fans, we might be able to lure some back through promotional giveaways.”

“What kinds of things would we be looking at? Lightball has the market on giveaways because they have so many pieces of equipment. Ball, bat, helmets . . . the list goes on.”

“We’re not looking to sell trading cards, Carl, we just need to get fans to come through the turnstiles,” Briar said. After all, lightball was mostly concerned with “game-used” memorabilia that was placed on trading cards. Briar had once been a small-time collector of Limmie cards, but then gave it up when she realized it was more economical not to spend all her money on disposable items like cards, no matter how fun they were to collect and trade, and instead invest in something concrete like college. That decision had paid off handsomely, as she was now here; collector Briar Thorne probably would be living in her parent’s basement, working a menial job at a convenience store. “But we’re limited by this territory because of the magnitude of the giveaways we would have to promote. We can’t give away wall calendars, because we’re already into the season . . .”

“And the swimsuit calendar is too risqué, even though we could raise some serious interest with it,” Aebatt Zargana commented. This was the third year the players had decided to organize their own swimsuit calendar shoot and release. Multiple Holozine companies had come calling to use Senator players as models for various shoots. Christine Gamble had been a model for a fitness ‘zine called “Muscle Maximum” in addition to her sporting goods sponsorship from Adlidas Company. Anya Amasova, once voted the Senators’ “sexiest player” according to an online fan poll (run through the unofficial “number one Senator fan site on the HoloNet” Black Hole Club), had done some modelling work as well for various commercials. So the Senator women were no strangers to the world of marketing and advertising . . . but swimsuit calendars would be wildly inappropriate giveaways at games. Briar didn’t care about the “children’s morality” argument that was bandied about, because in her opinion people just liked to complain about anything and everything, but the logistics of such a giveaway, plus its implications, made the option creepy as hell. So that was off the table.

Twenty more minutes went by, yet nothing concrete was confirmed. They did everything from t-shirts to team Holos, but none of them really stuck in Briar’s mind as being a winner giveaway.

“What else have other teams done?” she finally asked.

“Well, the Starkillers released their ‘Starkiller Strong’ towels during the offseason,” Carl said. “Fans always like to wave things around when they get excited.”

“Wait, what do they call them?” Briar asked, now intrigued.

“ ‘Strong Towels’, I think,” Carl replied. “They have the usual ‘Starkiller Strong’ branding.”

“Hm, I like the idea,” Briar said, nodding her head slightly. “We’d have to come up with our own version, obviously, but I like the idea.”

By the end of the day, plans were put in place to give out towels to the fans showing up for the Rim War game against Nar Shaddaa in two weeks’ time. A contractor was added to the operation the next day, and by the time the team returned from Rydonni Prime, the towels were ready to be handed out.

When the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers entered the confines of Senator Stadium, they would see the wall of black towels with the following words on them in bright orange font:

Terrible Towel

Prior to Rim War Game

Minutes before the game began, Briar watched the stands with satisfaction. The “Terrible Towels” were flying with great force, black swallowing up the stands as the fans waved them around. Of course, no Smuggler fans had been given one, since they were a rival, and this was a Senator idea. No need to let the Smugglers steal this concept; not of the towel itself, which Ralltiir had brilliantly conceived of, but the slogan. Carl was one for marketing slogans, so the “Terrible Towel” would be a first step in that direction. Or at least he hoped it would be, and wouldn’t go like the Senator alternate jersey and see a devastating blowout loss in its last outing.

“I must say, we might be on to something with the towels,” Tela Loni said from her seat to Briar’s left.

“It’s just one game, Tela,” Briar reminded her head scout. “We’re not out of the woods yet on their use. Their overall success will be predicated on whether or not fans that have them now bring them back next week.”

And then there was the game itself. Two storied franchises were ready to tangle down on that field. The Smugglers had absolutely destroyed the Senators in the season finale last year 40-8, and it was clear to Briar that the Senator players left over from that game wanted blood in return. Christine Gamble especially had a wild look in her eyes, that kind of “second gear” that star players went into. It was almost like a blood rage, just a more controlled version of it. Or at least Briar hoped so. The Smugglers loved to hit, and if Gamble obliged, things could get ugly. The GM had always been distasteful to the idea of smash-mouth Limmie, where physical violence was more important than playing the game. The Miners had never used that kind of approach, and they had won three titles. But she had begrudging respect for the Smugglers because they were another top franchise. That was all she would give them, though, because she wanted to see the Smugglers go down in flames amongst the crescendo of “Terrible Towel”-waving fans.

If the towel gimmick worked, Briar would have to personally thank Madelyne Vigo for the idea when they played the Starkillers later this season. Or, whoever had come up with it, because Briar wasn’t sure whose idea it had ultimately been. She probably wasn’t the only one with a headache trying to keep all the Vigos and their dependents straight in her mind.

IC: Christine Gamble

Christine had never seen such a tidal wave of towels in the stands before, but she had to admit that it was pretty cool. There was something about the black towels that made them different, the color change to differentiate them from the Starkiller towels. Plus the Senators had always marketed themselves as “using black first” as a team color, so it fit along those lines. She looked down at her black home uniform with its orange highlights. Although she could have found better employment elsewhere in the league the prior season, there was something about these uniforms . . .

Her attention was interrupted when Mick Steele approached his starting spot. The rookie would be her matchup today. He was tasked with running the offense like Mylessa McCloud once had. Christine doubted the man could ever truly live up to that high standard, but it didn’t make him any less dangerous. She would make sure that he wouldn’t get the chance to make plays today. The real tricky matchup today was at left corner with Zen Keisel, the former Smuggler, against Shady Lerouex, and then the half back line against Broussard. Klay Mettews drew that assignment, but Patricia Meter and Jamee Meels were instructed not to underestimate Stan Marin or Sa’Akhuun, the Helmsman winner from college the prior year.

Then there was midfield, where Windreaver and Romax would square off at the top midfielder spot, and Shaw and Swann would be the second midfielder battle. Then it would be Montes against Leed in goal for the two teams, and Anna Konder against Leia Adama with Ben Dayharvest dealing with recent upstart Zuzu Nuun on the other side of the field. So it would be an all-out battle out there, experience in some spots for both teams betrayed by inexperience and youthfulness at other positions. Neither team really had an advantage, but both were coming off losses, and only one could win. It was another Rim War, and Christine was ready for it.

TAG: Vehn, Runjedirun (for mentions of the Starkillers and the brilliant towel idea)

Trieste, Vehn, jcgoble3 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Keli Sen
    Week Three, Prior to game vs. Eriadu

Needless to say, Keli was not happy with how her team was playing. They were flat on offense, uninspired at midfield, and crappy at best on defense. Oola Ban, the only goalie on her roster, looked lost out there, and the former Starkiller was lamenting not having a backup goalie to lean on should Ban continue to fail. The Force were now 0-2, along with her former team in Tatooine at the bottom of the league standings. Something had to change, or else she wouldn’t do well. She had heard that Pamila Korthe had stuck it out here despite little success, but that was because she was a formative figure in the Thyferran community. She had taken them back to the Elite League, but Keli hadn’t done that. For all intents and purposes, she was a nobody to the Thyferran fans until she proved that she could be the winner the fans wanted to finally see after many long seasons of losing and failed opportunities to win in the postseason.

The struggles on offense were everywhere. Mala Bonero, the Selonian forward, had a goal in the first game of the season, but just reeked mediocrity. Marrett Wingo wasn’t cut out for the starting corner forward position, and wasn’t doing well. The only players on offense who were getting it done were newcomer Hyde Los and rookie Harper Rice. Rice looked like he had a future at the next level, but was still raw and needed more development time before he was ready to face the big time. Los had some talent, but likely wouldn’t be much more than bench fodder at the Elite League level. So the Force needed some additional weapons on offense, and Keli wasn’t sure these options were available off her bench.

So she called in to Jed Ortmeyer that week to ask for funds to sign new players. Jed agreed with her wholeheartedly, but was unsure of who to sign. There were plenty of candidates out there, but finding the ones they needed was the trick. So Keli spent part of the day scouring the free agent lists for multiple leagues, looking for plug-in players. She had Jed contact a few of them, but they didn’t bite for whatever reason.

Then she got to the old Elite League veterans who might be looking for another shot at the league. The Kuna sisters, Litan and Syra, former Lightning and Senator players, agreed to sign for the veteran’s minimum, with outright assignments to Thyferra. As far as they were concerned, the Futures League was better than other alternatives for the season, so they had signed without much hesitation. That gave Keli the upfront punch her team needed, two veteran players who could help Los and Rice develop while also giving other teams something to think about.

When the Force took the field at Byree Clearing to take on the Thunder, the Kuna sisters were in uniform and ready to start at right corner and full forward, respectively. Their journey back to the Elite League started here, and Keli was glad to have them. They had both won a Galactic Cup with Ylesia in 273, so they had tons of experience. Now it was to see if they still had it, or if their best years had passed them by. The coach didn’t expect a ton from them, but if they could give her solid effort, that was all she could ask them for. Right now, the Force needed a win, and hopefully the new acquisitions would provide a boost for a struggling offense. The defense needed a fix as well, but that probably wasn’t as easy at the moment to plug and play new players.

TAG: Rebecca_Daniels

jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  5. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Mylessa McCloud
    Senator Stadium

“You forget about last week,” Mylessa said as she prowled the tunnel.

“You forget about what the Rangers did to us and you focus on what you’re going to do to the Senators,” Mylessa added. “Some of you remember what its like to win a championship. You cherish that memory but I want you to know I’m not satisfied with the dreams of the past. I want us to focus on creating realities of the future. So here’s what we’re going to do…”

Mylessa explained the game plan the only way she knew how. She tried to keep things simple for the rooks but they’d have to pick it up sooner or later. This was Elite League Limmie but it also went by a different name: early leave loser. It was a what have you done for me lately kind of business and most people didn’t make it past year three. Mylessa didn’t have many games left in the season to tinker with the offensive system. Either they clicked now or they needed to go back to the drawing board. Meredith had made it clear to her over the weekend that something had to change. Something had to give. Nar Shaddaa could not win games that they fell behind on. They weren’t built to play catch up. They were built to dominate.

“We got this, McCloud,” Mick Steele said as he wrapped an arm around Sal’Akhuun.

“Hit them hard and sink’em low,” Gargova Brousard crowed.

“Just play the game I know you can play,” Mylessa said as the team took to the field.

The stands were jam-packed with Senators fans. A few splatterings of burgundy and black were present for the annual Rim War game. The game was going to get ugly. The game was going to get physical. Not to mention the all-time series between the two teams was tied at 8. This game could turn around the season for either franchise. This game could point one team in the right direction.

“Nice towels,” Meredith dryly commented.

“They’re going to need them to mop up the blood,” Mylessa responded.

Both ladies looked at one another and smiled.

They were ready.

Tag: Jedi Gunny

6. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines

• League announces that Financial Square Arena in Cambrielle, Ralltiir, will host 280 Galactic Cup Final
    • Lokensgaard comments before Core War game: "Financial Square is going to be a great venue for this game. We're proud to bring all of the Final Week festivities to Ralltiir."
    • Senators resign Syra and Litan Kuna (CF, FF, respectively) and assign them to Thyferra
    TAG: Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

Jedi Gunny, Runjedirun and Vehn like this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

What We Learned: Week 3

We’re inviting reader comments this week: what’s the best Elite League stadium to tailgate at? Seriously, we want to hear your opinions because we need to get out of the office and party it up a bit.

Bakura Miners – This team can’t just be Alana Glencross. Sure, we know this is her swan song, but there are fourteen other players on the field and, as hilarious as decaquintuple coverage on Glencross would be, maybe the whole team should play this week?

Carratos Pirates – The problem with going all in when you play sabacc is that when you lose, you don’t have any chips left and you have to buy back in. So, anybody on Carratos want to loan the Pirates some creds? They swear they’re gonna pay you back.

Chandrila Patriots – In case you forgot, Reina Kether is a good coach. Teams don’t just flip the score like that without good coaching.

Coruscant Senators – Is it disappointing that the Senators allowed the Monarchs to break out this week? Yes. Is there shame in letting Vesper Lynd do it to you? No. Does that make it feel any better? No. How many of our own questions can we answer with yes or no? Three. Darn. Streak’s over.

Denon Demons – Li Roy!!!!!!!!!! We shake our fist at you for we knew we shouldn’t have started you in fantasy this week.

Hapes Consortium Buccaneers – This is what we’ve been waiting to see from Tendra Nalo. Let the Ingbrand campaign begin.

Kashyyyk Rangers – If the Rangers are this good, then why were they ever kicked out of the League in the first place? That’s what we want to know. Lokensgaard, seriously. Just swing by the office some time and answer our question. We’re sure you don't have anything better to do.

Mando’ade Mercs – Do it Ryi. Just come back like Trey Till. Doooooooo itttttttttt.

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers – We were going to complain about the Smugglers’ maddening inconsistency...but honestly this means that the team is now ripe for a reality holo show. Real Limmie Players of Vertical City. Maybe someone will flip a table over at team dinner or something.

Ralltiir Starkillers – Yes, it was a rivalry loss, but the Starkillers have come too far as a franchise to panic at the first loss of the season. Just ignore the beings parachuting out of their top floor offices in Cambrielle. That’s just a fire safety drill or something.

Rydonni Prime Monarchs – We don’t say this often so enjoy it: we were wrong. Vesper Lynd is what this Monarchs team always needed.

Ylesia Lightning – Now Mirik is just messing with us. It’s the magic offense. Now you see it, now you don’t.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Vehn

8. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Madelyne Till

It was a long ride home. Louise cried the entire trip. Tomas sat next to me with his headset on listening to a program on his data pad. He either didn't hear or chose to ignore my requests to climb back and check on his sister. I was shocked when I pulled into the driveway and Trey's speeder was already there.

Trey was on the sofa in the living room watching the holo. I sped by him as I headed to the kitchen with Louise to get her some milk. Once she had calmed down and began to drink I headed into the living room. "Any requests for dinner?" I asked calmly.

Trey requested a meal heavy in carbohydrates. He needed fuel for the game tomorrow. I made a salad for myself. We ate in relative silence. After dinner Tomas went for a swim. Trey and I sat on the couch taking turns holding Louise while we watched a holo.

It took a long time, but eventually Louise fell asleep. Tomas had finished his swim and had gone upstairs to play holo games in his room. Trey carried Louise upstairs and placed her in her crib. When he came back downstairs it was obvious he had only one thing on his mind. I felt his hands on my body. He seemed cool and confident. It was as if he had put our earlier confrontation behind us completely. I wasn't ready to forgive him so quickly for undermining the importance of what our franchise could do for the community. I was also worried about Tomas wandering downstairs to get a snack from the kitchen or any other reason, so I pulled away.

"What's the matter, Maddie?" He asked in a surprised tone.

"The Starkillers are my franchise," I said crossing my arms over my chest. "I am going to recognize those children before the game tomorrow. In the future I would appreciate it if you would voice any concerns you have in private. You undermined me in front of my son and several staff members."

"I have a game to win tomorrow. A very important game. We lose two in a row and the players begin to lose their confidence in their play. You understand that, right?"

"It's your job to coach those players. If a simple ceremony to recognize deserving children of their accomplishments throws you that far off your game, maybe you shouldn't be coach."

Trey let a whistle escape under his breath, "Man you're tough. Any chance I can break through this wall and get some lovin' tonight?"

"That's a bold request," I shot back. "Only if you promise to stay out of my way while I do my job tomorrow."

"Agreed," he said moving closer to me again.

When we were finished Trey immediately retreated to the bedroom to get some much needed rest. I stayed behind to fix the pillows on the couch. Realizing that I had a rare moment of peace I picked up my data pad to check my messages. The most recent message was from the commissioner’s office. I could tell it was a heavily protected communication. Just to open it I had to enter a Starkillers ID code and my personal password. I wasn't expecting any bad news, but the what if's began to multiply in my head. Had a player been arrested again? Caught for taking an illegal substance? We didn't need any setbacks this week, of all weeks. Much to my relief and surprise the message was to inform me that Ralltiir had been awarded to host the Galactic Cup game and other festivities that were to take place during the week leading up to the game.

I felt excited and burdened all at once. I began to make a list of things I needed to do immediately after tomorrow's game. Set up a meeting with as many local hotel owners who would participate. I needed them to set aside blocks of rooms at reasonable prices. I also needed them to put in bids for hosting the teams that would play in the game, the all star players and award nominees. I needed to meet with the board of public transportation to discuss how they would handle the increased volume of passengers for the week. Local law enforcement would have to be contacted and private security firms would be needed to assist them. All stadium employees needed to be informed of the dates of the All Star and Cup games as soon as possible. I expected capacity crowds at both games. I wanted a full staff. There would be no write ups about long concession lines or overflowing trash receptacles. Suddenly Louise's cries interrupted my thoughts.

I raced upstairs to see if I could quiet her. I changed her and rocked her. She calmed, but she remained awake. I brought her downstairs and told her the news while I heated her a bottle. I reclined in an easy chair to feed her. At some point we both fell asleep. The smell of fresh caf woke me the next morning. I walked into the kitchen and Trey poured me a cup. "Rough night?" He asked.

"Quite the opposite," I beamed. "I received a message from the commissioner’s office last night. Ralltiir has been selected to host the Galactic Cup this season."

Trey put down his cup and put his hands over his ears, "I can't hear you. I'm 100% focused on playing the Rangers this evening."

I let a laugh escape and took a long slow sip of caf. Since we had a night game Trey and I were able to share breakfast. He even watched the baby while I took a swim before he left for the stadium. I flew over midafternoon with Tomas and Louise. Louise had barely left my side since birth. Even while I had been swimming this morning she was in Trey's arms on the pool deck. In order to conduct the ceremony on field before the game I had planned to leave Louise in the owner's box. There were more than enough capable adults up there to take care of her. Andres' parents, Ty's mom, Georgia, and Lucie were all making themselves comfortable when I got there with Louise. Mrs. Fortune was eager to hold Louise. I wasn't prepared for the empty feeling I had when I walked out of that box without my baby girl.

When I got down to the field security was already waiting with a few of the children who had arrived early. It was hard to focus on the task at hand. All I wanted to do was ride that lift back up to my box and retrieve my little girl. I reminded myself that the crowd noise would overwhelm her and that I had a responsibility to be here. I resolved to do my best. I had the children lined up in the tunnel as the players came off the field from their warm up session. Some of the older less shy children waved at the players. Ty ran over to greet them. Bat and Kara Sureysh quickly followed suite. I could see agitation in Trey's eyes. I walked over. I wanted to reassure him that this would be positive motivation for his team. Instead he looked at me sternly and said, "If we lose today Maddie, it's on you."

Shocked I shifted my focus to the children. "Wish the players good luck," I instructed. "It's time to go get your awards," Tomas held hands with the youngest and everyone followed me out to the sideline. I walked out to centerfield. "Welcome to Financial Square Arena," I began. The crowd erupted with applause. "This evening your Ralltiir Starkillers," again I was forced to pause while the crowd roared. "Will be facing the number one ranked team in the ELL, the Rangers of Kashyyyk," several boos came down from the stands. "Before the game begins we would like to take a moment to recognize the top students from each grade level in
    Cambrielle's education system. Each of these students has put in hours of study time to earn the privilege of being recognized here today. Please give a warm welcome to our academic achievers," I said extending my arm so the children would know to proceed to center field. The crowd applauded wildly and began to twirl their strong towels. I recognized each student by name and presented them with a personalized Starkillers jersey.

Once all the children had received their awards I made one last announcement. "Ladies and Gentlemen I have breaking news from commissioner Lokensgaard. The commissioner has awarded Ralltiir the privilege to host the 280 All Star Game, ELL Awards Ceremony and the Galactic Cup will be played here at Financial Square Arena." The crowd went absolutely nuts. The volume on field was deafening, if you looked into the stands the towels were likely to make you dizzy. My job done I turned around and let our regular announcer take over to introduce the teams. As Tomas and I quickly led the children back through the tunnel I heard the announcer's voice over the speakers. Spencer had announced games last season, briefly I wondered how he was doing at this moment right now. I rejoiced knowing he would be home for the Galactic Cup game. He wouldn't miss that for anything.

Once the children were safely escorted to their seats I decided to run back into the tunnel. I had one last thing to do before being reunited with my daughter. Trey had said that if the Starkillers lost it would be on me and I didn't take that lightly. The team was waiting while the Rangers were being introduced. I stood in front of them. "Your coach doesn't think you can handle the distraction of a few youngsters being recognized before a game. You go out there, show your coach, those kids, the planet of Ralltiir and the entire Galaxy who the number one team in Limmie really is." I looked over at Trey and shot him a look that said, they're not going to lose on my account.

Ty rose his fist in the air. "Don't worry mom," he called out. The entire team burst into laughter. Despite my best efforts I blushed. The announcer had finished introducing the Rangers, so I quickly slid out of the tunnel and boarded the lift up to my box. I rushed in the door and retrieved my little girl from Mrs. Fortune's arms.

"I missed you," I said squeezing her gently. I walked towards the front of the box to take my seat. "Go daddy go," I said as I pumped her little fist. "Your brothers are down there too," I explained. "There's Bartholomew," I said as I pointed towards the offense. "And Andres. Ty is back there by your father." I leaned back in my chair, "Go Starkillers," I said to no one in particular.

Tags: None

Jedi Gunny, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Salis D’aar, Bakura

Another game was coming up and Geoff was spending another night away from his home and his wife. He lay on the hotel bed just staring at the ceiling. This road trip had been nothing but heart breaking for the team. Three straight losses, worst record in the league right now, and all their stats were in the basement. They were essentially same sorry state as 278, except they at least had one win in their first three games. He felt like he was treading water just struggling to keep his head up above everything that was happing. The defense was failing and the offense was ice cold.

Thankfully he hadn’t run into that Bothan again, though maybe he’d have some insights into what was wrong. The coach made a fist, no, this wasn’t some external force acting on his team. This was his failure, he had failed to adapt to the changing game. He kept using the ‘All In’ well past its usefulness. It was time for something else. He slammed his closed hand on the bed. He had a plan, something new from his team. Would it work, maybe not but, you never know until you try. The thought wasn’t all that comforting but, it’s all he had.

The plan was to have three midfielders, Gabby, Marky, and Masters play tight in the middle with the intent to play them as a forward defensive line to prevent the ball ever getting into the Pirates zone, or at the very least limit it. The weak back line would be reduced to two players either Samia and Boutros or Bel and Kala or some other combination. Geoff was worried about his veteran full back though. Boutros had been acting out of sorts lately and it showed in her play. It started with the penalty on Mandalore and continued with the sloppy play on Hapes. At practice she seemed fine but why was she so off when it came game time.

He couldn’t think about that now, there was another change to his attack. The half forwards had proven themselves adept at making accurate long range shots on goal he planned to use that to his advantage. It was a variation on the ‘Half In’ alternate play that Rime sometimes called for on the field. The three forwards would still charge the net but, not with the intent to score. They were merely a distraction, a screen. The real threat was the half forwards. With the a bunch of bodies in front of the goal it would be difficult to see the ball coming but, from longer range the goalie would have more time to react and block the shot.

That was supposing that they were aiming for the goal. This was the insane part of his plan, goals were of second priority, he planned to win the game with bar points. It would be slow, and wouldn’t help his points scored but, it bar points where harder to defend against and easier to make. Did this idea make him popular amongst the forwards? No, the play didn’t rely on them to score like the ‘All In’ did. This was designed with Leigh, Else and Seiji in mind. Else had the kick to put the ball through the uprights from where ever she wanted. Leigh had some speed to put some distance between herself and her mark, just enough for a quick punt. Seiji had good field sense, knew were everyone was and where they were going to be.

A major flaw in the play was the midfield, Marky and Gabby weren’t use to playing with a third. Also they would be going against Alana Glencross probably one of the best midfielders to play the game. Sure her team was having a rough go of it but, that just meant that their desire to win would be great, Alana’s more than most. This was her last season, and Geoff was sure she wanted to go out on a high note. Also the Miners had been a team that the Pirates had yet to beat. They had crushed the Pirates both times and were the first to break the ‘All In’.

He continued to stare listlessly at the tiles in the ceiling beginning to count them trying to ease his mind. Reminded him of a holo-novel he once read, most likely for school, where a man was kept in a prison cell so long he had begun to name the stones that made up his walls. The coach had a chuckle, this wasn’t a prison, nor did it feel like one. He felt tired but, no matter what his eyes wouldn’t close. His brain wouldn’t turn off. He kept replaying the last three games, the close game with the Starkillers, the devastating losses to the Mercs and C-bucs.

Was this going to be another in a growing string of embarrassments for the team or was this the moment things turned around. There was also a third option that even if they win here there was still plenty of time for nothing to go right. This could be their only win this season, how would that go over on Carratos. Would the board be calling for his head? If he was being honest he might like the relaxation a bit of unemployment would bring. He might even move to Bilbringi so that Laura could be nearer to her work.

This was all hypothetical of course. Schnitt would fight tooth and nail to keep Geoff on the team and shadowy group that pulls the strings didn’t fire him after the first season and the last year hopefully built up some goodwill that would help him weather this storm. He crawled under the covers of the bed and rested his head on the pillow. His mind was still racing, worrying about whether or not his mad plan was going to work or not, unsure of how his team will be received when they return home and, concerned about the Pirates fate this season. After hours of tossing and turning, finally the coach got some sleep.

Tomorrow was going to be rough.

TAG: Trieste

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Good probably not morning where you are by the time you read this...but it's morning where I'm typing it so I've got that going for me. Bonus rolls for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, and Ralltiir.

Week 4 Results

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Coruscant Senators (9-8)
    Mando’ade Mercs at Ylesia Lightning (39-14)
    Kashyyyk Rangers at Ralltiir Starkillers (3-30)
    Chandrila Patriots at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (5-17)
    Carratos Pirates at Bakura Miners (18-5)
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Denon Demons (7-23)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Vehn

11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sub–GM Post

Uh, yeah. As busy as I was today, this totally slipped my mind. Sorry for the delay. Bonus rolls this week to (points in parentheses): Concordia Crusaders (28), Tatooine Sandskimmers (30), and Thyferra Force (32).

Limmie Futures League – Week 3
    Week 3
    Eriadu Thunder at Thyferra Force (22–11)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers at Gallinore Firedrakes (30–19)
    Concordia Crusaders at Byblos Red Wings (7–25)

TAG: CPL_Macja Bardan_Jusik Rebecca_Daniels Runjedirun Jedi Gunny

12. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

To the writers and editors of what we have learned:

I challenge you to attend as many tailgating parties around the Galaxy as you can between now and the Galactic Cup. Once you have rated those other franchises on their tailgating experiences, come to Ralltiir. We are not just hosting the Galactic Cup we are also hosting the Galaxy’s Biggest Tailgating Party.

Gates will open 12 hours before game time. All vehicles will be searched so leave your weapons at home and come early. You can bring your own stoves and ingredients. Attend a class on the spot taught by Ralltiir’s own chef Fenton Tobles. Lean to make Ralltiir’s famous spicy nacho dip and other stadium favorites including: Fortune’s Famous Fries, Bartholomew’s Long Distance Brat’s, Stun’s Goal Stopping Sushi Balls, Coach Till’s Chocolate Toffee Iced Caf, Lucie’s Lettuce Wraps and Ty’s Terrible Tuna Towers. Or if you want to let us do the cooking stop by any of our concessions. We have permanent stands built outside our stadium to accommodate those who are not culinary inclined.

But don’t fill up on too much food or drink. You will want to participate in the fan’s ultimate punt pass and kick contest. Prizes will be awarded to fans who can punt, pass or kick the furthest. We will also be awarding prizes for the best decked out speeder, loyalist fans, best dressed fans, and Limmie trivia contest winners. For young fans there will be face painting, bounce houses and complementary cotton candy.

Finally I am challenging all GM’s to a thirty minute dunk station challenge. Fans line up to dunk your own or your rival team’s GM. I’ll be leading the way as the first to sit in the tank. A list of participating GM’s from around the league will follow closer to game day.

Hope to see you in the parking lot!

-Madelyne Till (Ralltiir Starkillers Owner and General Manger)

TAGS: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Rebecca_Daniels Vehn Trieste

********Please PM me if your GM (or owner or appropriate staff member) wants to participate in the dunk contest. Consider this your invitation.********

Jedi Gunny, jcgoble3, Vehn and 2 others like this.
  13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"Live downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm, Victory afternoon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit, we're the Guardians of the Galactic Cup. I'm Ken Kitterich in for Randy, he's Justin Pitt. The best in the business, Liz Baker on the boards, with some no name intern on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you."

"That was pathetic."

"I thought it was good," Liz piped up.

"Good? that was horrible."

"Well the next time Randy calls in sick you can do the intro."

"I should have done the intro."

"Randy said he wanted Kitterich to do it."

"What? Why?"

"He knows you would mess it up."

"I would not!"

"Really?"

"OK, well not any worse than what Kitterich just did!"

"I thought he did good."

"Thank you."

"You two ganging up on me?"

"EYUP!" came the simultaneous reply.

"Going to be a long long show."

"Yes, yes it is."

"Well we could always change the subject. I don't know. Talk about yesterday's game or something."

"Oh that's a great idea Kitterich, lets do that."

"Oh boy."

"Hey it was a great game, good won for the Mercs."

"Third in a row after dropping the season opener, and it looks like the team is finding its rhythm."

"Especially rookie sensation La'Bron Jaing."

"He had what? 11? 12 points yesterday?

"Yeah it was 12, to go along with ten assists."

"Rookie of the year candidate?"

"Too soon to tell, but it's going to be tough for him."

"Being a developmental system player and not a high draft pick is going to hurt him in terms of votes there, but so long as he gets us wins, who cares?"

"True enough."

"And despite a rocky start in his first ELL game, him being familiar with the system is paying dividends now. His chemistry with the corner forwards was amazing. Mereel was a stud yesterday and Arock was rocking."

"Eight points apiece for them."

"Their play really let the middies hang back and help the defense hold the Lightning to just 14 points."

"That's right at Ylesia's season average thus far which is 15 points per game."

"Still a good effort from a defense that has been scuffling a bit this season compared to last anyway."

"The loss of K'Karlsson is still being felt, though Hadon is starting to play up to form."

"Katan had a career year last season too, he was bound to come back down to earth a bit this year."

"With the way the offense is playing right now, the team can afford a slight downturn on defense."

"Yeah, but I worry about the offense still."

"How so?"

"Well is this sustainable?"

"Hard to say, I mean this was a great offensive game, and they have been getting better every week."

"Yeah, ever since that stinker in the first game where the Mercs managed just four points they have been averaging almost 33 points a game, and haven't scored less than 27."

"Like I said earlier, it's too early in the season to tell just how good, or bad, this Mercs offense will be. It all rests on Jaing's play. There are days where he makes you ask yourself Daryc who? And then there are days like week one where you wonder if this guy even belongs in the league. Now right now we have seen more f the former as opposed to the latter, and frankly i think that really is more the player that jaing is. But he is going to have his bad weeks, especially in his rookie season, and how the team weathers those starts is going to tell you whether or not we have another playoff run, or even title run, in store for us this year."

"That's more than i have ever heard you say at one time."

"You should listen more often then."

"Burn."

"Ouch."

"Yeah that wasn't fair, just channeling my inner Randy today I guess."

"Yeah that's something he would have said. So looking forward to next week."

"Going to be tough, Kashyyyk has been playing well all season."

"Well until yesterday, the Starkillers destroyed them."

"Ralltiir is always tough. When do we face them?"

"Week seven, our next home game."

"Ouch, tough road trip."

"Well next week against the Rangers will be for first place in the Conference, Worse still, if the Rangers win they also clinch a winning conference record as well as giving them the head to head tie breaker against us should it come to that."

"So it's early in the season, but it's already a must win for the Mercs?"

"I wouldn't go that far. Winning here for either squad doesn't guarantee a postseason berth, but it does give the winner a huge leg up in the race for the playoffs."

"Should be a great game, a hard hitting game. One that plays into both team's strengths, but the advantage has to go to the home team there. Playing in front of their won crowd, with a chance to hand it to the defending champions? Going to be tough to stop."

"Lets not forget either, the last time the Mercs played on that field it was their 277 loss to the Miners in the Galactic Cup Finals."

"I'd like to think that winning ti all last season has wiped away some of the sting of that loss, but I know it hasn't. That was a title game they could have won."

"Well let's hope Johnnie limmie is over it."

"Liz?"

"We just got confirmation from the Mercs front office that he has been cleared to play this week. No word yet on how ready to play he will be or how many minutes they are looking to get from him, but..."

"Yeah, for an offense that scored 39 points yesterday Ariota didn't look all that great out there. Two turnovers, a tackle and just one point scored."

"Seemed the Mercs were keeping the ball away from him most of the time and going to the hot hands at the corners."

"Well with Langdon still out, look for Johnnie Limmie to get some reps. Hopefully Coach Er'mey can whip him into shape, because against that Rangers team, we are going to need all the help we can get."

TAG: Rebecca_Daniels for her take on our game.

[​IMG]

14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Morning Headlines

• Patriots GM announces she will participate in the Galactic Cup Final tailgate dunk tank
    • Kether: "It'll be an easy way to part Senators fans from their credits...for a good cause of course."
    • Rangers GM Quoiswa says he'll participate, but warns that fans may not like the smell of wet Wookiee
    • Bak10 Commissioner Kerry Trieste says she'll participate if the Starkillers will let her
    • Trieste: "They might want to put some extra time on the clock for me. I've got a lot of beings from politics who will camp out overnight to get the best of me for a change."
    • Miners chairwoman Regan Eldred announces that she has informed Quinn Cundertol he will participate in the dunk tank unless the Miners post a winning record in 280
    • Miners must go at least 5-2 in their remaining 7 games for Cundertol to avoid dunk tank
    • Jolla Pic says she's not sure that's an incentive for the team to win
    TAG: Jedi Gunny Runjedirun

15. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura

It was time, time to play one of the most storied teams in ELL history, on their home turf. Geoff’s hands shook in anticipation. It was the first test of the new play system for the Pirates. It didn’t have a fancy name like the ‘All In’ and maybe it never would. Hopefully it would tip the scales in their favor. The coach looked to his half forwards. They were huddled together working out their attack plan. They knew how important they were to the game and they took it very seriously. They didn’t want to let the team down. Leigh, Else, and Seiji, broke from the little talking circle and looked up at Geoff. Their faces were determined, shoulders loose, and heads nodding they were ready.

At the other end of the locker room Kala and Bel were getting set to start again as the two rear guards for the Pirates. It was another gamble on Geoff’s part but, Boutros had proven to be a little cold right now maybe best to give her a rest for this game. Maybe she’ll get over this streak. Tian, how was back to her cheery self, gave her large rookie colleague a big grin and a thumbs up. The Kerestian returned the thumbs up but, maintained his grim facial expression. Bel checked his laces once more then looked at Kala. The both shared a knowing nod then turned to the coach.

Geoff smiled weakly. His team appeared ready but, he could still see that they were nervous. They were still getting over three losses in a row and their spirit was low especially Rime, Logan, and Vayan. The three main forwards had been shut down and were getting frustrated, it was a major reversal from the previous season where they were racking up the points and having accolades showered upon them. Logan took another deep breath, the young forward had gotten used to being the center of attention after winning the Salbukk award and Comeback Player of the Year Award, which some on Carratos were pushing to have renamed the Manx Award. It was an impossible dream but, that didn’t stop them.

As the team took to the field the three midfielders stood tall across the middle, Geoff didn’t envy them. They had to contend with a very strong pair and he doubted Glencross would be fazed by the extra player in her zone. It took a bit more time than it should’ve to get Masters integrated with the Teaics and they still didn’t quite have the same chemistry as the twins alone. The match started and the Pirate middies rushed to get setup. Gabby covered right side, her brother on the left and Masters watched for a passes between the two Miners.

Gabby got a little out played by her mark giving the Miners time in the Pirates defensive zone. Every second a blue and gold jersey spent in the zone made the coach nervous. He had trust in his half backs but, they can’t stop everything. Even with three players the back line was weak, and now two rookies stood, outnumbered, in front of Qazi. Thankfully it didn’t come to that as Mikia brought Ronan to the ground. It was a close call and the coach hoped there would be only a few of them. His team needed a win today just to keep alive.

Rhodri took possession and passed up to Masters. With three bodies to cover the Miners pair of Glencross and Pic couldn’t lock down the middle to keep the pressure on the shaky Pirates. The Brentaal native cut up to the offensive zone and tossed it over to Leigh. The youngest half forward rushed to the middle checking her angle to the uprights. Once in a place where she couldn’t miss, Leigh executed a turning kick that sent the ball above the bar for the first point of the game. It was just one point and it would take a whole lot more to win against the Miners, but it was a start.

The next play Gabby put a hard hit on Glencross, something she wouldn’t have done if it was just her and her brother, knocking the ball loose. It was eerily similar to the first time these two teams met, Gabby had taken the veteran down hard and Alana was a hair slow getting up. Thankfully that didn’t happen this go around and after seeing the Miners/Mercs game last week Geoff knew the Miners captain was tough as nails. Masters collected the fumble and gave the ball to Else. She only had a moment before her marker, center half back and owner, Falene Trieste closed the gap. In an instant Else rocketed the ball between the uprights for another point.

The rest of the half the Pirates kept to the game plan contain the offense in the middle pass to the half forwards who then very quickly try to put up a bar point. It was slow going and the defense faltered a bit with the Miners getting past the half backs and scoring a goal but, focus on the bar point seemed to put the defense on unfamiliar ground. They were still able to block shots or take the attackers out before they could get a shot off but, this was a completely different system from the ‘All In’ that made the Pirates famous, or infamous depending on your point of view. As the first half ended, the two teams walked to their locker rooms with the visitors in the lead 7-3.

During the break Seiji was rubbing his shoulder, he had taken a hard hit trying for a bar point. His line mates were similarly sore and bruised. They weren’t necessarily use to this level of defensive attention. In the old system their job was to rush the net and pass to the forwards that crossed in front of them, rarely did they get the chance to put a shot on goal. Now they were the linchpin of the offense, and the other team knew it. The Miners knew what to expect, they wouldn’t be fooled or taken off guard by this long range style.

Tian seemed interested in the half forwards gazing almost in awe of them. This was nothing new for one of the odder members of the team. The young Pantoran often looked with an almost childlike wonder at her older teammates like a little sister basking in the glory of her older siblings.

“You guys are awesome,” She said without a hint of sarcasm,

“Thanks Tian,” Else replied “but, we’re just making bar points, nothing special about it.”

“No but, you make it look so easy.” Leigh gave a bit of a chuckle then winced in pain.

“It’s easy to kick the ball toward the uprights.” She said rubbing her ribs, “It’s hard to get the space to make that kick, especially when they’re on you like adhesive. You have to fight sometimes and you lose those fights sometimes.”

“I thought of a name for it,” Tian responded smiling,

“For what,” Seiji asked a little confused in the sudden change of topic.

“The attack we’re using, I call it ‘The Broadside’” The excited rookie answered spreading her hands above her head in an arc as if putting the word on a sign of some sort. Logan snorted,

“Coach, you’re not actually going to name it that, right?”

“I don’t actually have a name for this attack,” Geoff said crossing his arms “I can’t call it doubling down or any other gambling terms like the ‘All In’, because none of them accurately describe what we are doing here. Broadside is vaguely linked to Pirates so it’s as good as any name.”

“But, it’s so lame, how about ‘Bombard’.”

“Aren’t they kinda’ the same,” Marky chimed in,

“But, ‘Bombard’ sounds why cooler,”

“It doesn’t roll off the tongue like ‘Broadside,’” Tian called out defending her position.

“It doesn’t matter what we call it,” The coach said ending the argument, “It’s working, let’s stick to it but, be ready for a change back to the ‘All In’.”

“Yes coach,” was the forceful reply.

Back on the pitch the Pirates kept to their game plan, making long range kicks for bar points. As Geoff suspected the Miners were tightening up on the half forwards, making it very difficult for them to get space or time to fire off a shot. Under pressure Seiji made a hard kick that didn’t have the loft needed to make it over the bar. Instead in bounced fast off the cross bar and, in an extreme stroke of luck right to Logan. The full forward swung his arm in an over hand motion hammering the ball toward the bottom left corner. Lizbet was close but, not enough to stop the goal.

With three additional points the Pirates now had a good lead, the best they’ve had in ages. Leigh grew it even further with another point. The Miners were still having issues trying to punch through the midfield and past the half backs, to get into striking range. They managed it a couple of times but, were only able to get bar points out of the drives. In those moments Kala and Bel stepped up covering as much area as they could mostly cutting off passes or completely blocking the advance. The coach was honestly surprised that they held up that well, he half expected them to be overwhelmed instantly.

Seiji put up another bar point, followed soon after by another one by Else. The sounds of Dead Man’s Chest could be heard from the ‘Black Spot’. It was a little too soon in Geoff’s book to call this game over just yet. The Miners could still have some tricks up their sleeves. Then there it was, Glencross juked Gabby out of her cleats and passed around Mikia to Ronan. Kala stepped up looking to cut off the pass to Fiesta. Mikia was fast on Ronan’s heels limiting the forward’s time to make a decision. The Chiss made the best decision available and passed to the wide open Zonka. Just what Kala was waiting for, as soon as the ball started traveling toward the full forward, the rookie took off like a shot toward the player. Zonka didn’t have time to make a play before he was taken to the ground by the huge being.

Returning to the attack Leigh messed up a point attempt that ricocheted off one of the goal posts to Vayan, who was as surprised as anyone to end up with the ball, merely bumped it past the net minder for another three points. As the clock wound down, it looked like the Pirates were going to win their first game of the season. Seiji and Else scored two more bar points towards the end and the defense held the Miners scoreless for a long time. This game probably didn’t change the fact that the Pirates were still last in the league but, maybe it was the start of a turnaround. If they could win every remaining game, they could make the playoffs again. Geoff knew that it was wishful thinking but, sometimes it was good to hope and this way they avoid a possible winless season.

In the hand shake line everyone had nothing but, warm feelings for Alana, especially the former Miner Ponie. This couldn’t be the way the Miners captain envisioned her last season starting but, she seemed to be enjoying herself soaking up every last moment. Geoff could respect that, even if things weren’t going your way it helped no one to get too bent out of shape about it. He thanked the veteran midfielder for a good game and after the handshakes were done he headed to the locker room to get ready for another game on the road, this time on the Smuggler’s Moon, Nar Shaddaa.

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Alana Glencross
    Pregame, Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar

To Alana, it was still the early quiet of game day. Fans had not been let into the stadium yet, but all of the game day operations were beginning. It had always seemed a low hum of activity, the anticipation building towards a game day. The Pirates were coming to town and despite the fact the Miners had yet to lose to them, Alana was sure they weren’t going to step aside to let the Farewell Tour roll through unabated. If anything, they were going to be loaded for bear this time.

Before Alana began her warm up routines, she had been requested to take a brief walk through the stadium concourses with the chairwoman of the team, Supreme Court Justice Regan Eldred. For Alana’s part, she thought appointing the Justice was one of the smartest things Falene could have done. Eldred cared deeply about the Miners, having served as its Chairwoman during the Civil War (an event the teenage Alana had watched unfold on the holo), and it freed Falene from being bogged down in the administrative workings of the team, even if those were supposedly handled by Cundertol anyways. Eldred was smart too. There were rumors--always the sort of rumor that no one ever knew where they’d heard it, not even Alana--that she had almost been named Taoiseach of the Noble House instead of Kerry Trieste. Alana wondered what the galaxy would have looked like today if that had been the case.

“You of all of the Miners know the Noble House the best,” Regan said.

“You keep asking me to ref your game,” Alana said, referring to the tradition of the annual Trieste family limmie game played at their wooded retreat in Prytis. Alana had served as the ref for several of them at the family’s invitation. She usually didn’t have to do much in those games other than put the ball into play. It afforded her an inside look at these rich beings, ones who were widely believed to hold this planet largely in their thrall. It was interesting to witness them banter amongst each other, not unlike the Glencross family table in Ojai did. They didn’t seem much like masters of the universe when they were trash talking each other playing limmie.

“It’s hard to find someone else impartial,” Regan said, “I suppose we’ll release you from that duty when you retire. We’ve got an entire team to pick from for replacements. Could even make Valerii do it. But that’s not why I wanted to talk to you. Though the Miners are a business, it’s a part of our family. We’ve owned the team longer than any of us have been alive, even Kerry. This team, the players on it, you mean something to us. We try to do right by you when we have to make tough decisions.

“I wanted to thank you for everything that you’ve done for the Miners and for my family. I may not speak for the whole Noble House, but I do speak for myself.”

“You’re welcome. I feel like I should thank you for something, for letting me play, you know.”

“We had nothing to do with it. Roslyn found you. Cundertol made you captain. We trusted them.”

“Then thank you for not micromanaging the team and for finding good general managers,” Alana said.

“That we can take credit for,” Regan said wryly. They left the concourses, ready for the tramp of feet and press of fans, and headed down towards where the Miner locker room and facilities were located. “It’s odd, this season really does feel like something’s different. It’s not just because you’re leaving. The Noble House box is much more empty these days.”

“It is? Kind of disappointed to hear that.”

“It’s not anything to do with you,” Regan assured Alana, “It’s just that ever since she became Commissioner of the Bak10, Kerry is beat from flying around the planet to catch as many of those games as possible. The Lynds have been going to Monarch games for seasons now, so they haven’t been around for a while. Last season my sister in-law Mandy Syfred began taking her kids to Denon for their games. Why Ronan tolerates that is beyond me. My youngest brother, Oisin, has always indulged his wife with Smuggler games, has pretty much ever since they were married. Thank heavens he saved May from that, at least.”

“She’s a good doctor, you know,” Alana said.

“So I hear. Now, this season the box is even emptier because my sister in-law Nessa is all aflame with Chandrilan Patriotism. During the offseason they asked her to stand for the Board of Governors again and she won. It seems they never agreed with her having resigned in the first place after the demotion. Her kids follow her to Chandrila for games, as one would expect. Anyways, that leaves Declan and Ayn--even if they weren’t Miners fans they’d have to pretend to be in elected office--and their children. Then there’s me and Atticus and my daughter Trixie. I’d throw my son Quentin in, but if there weren’t a war on right now I half expect he’d be at Marksmen games with the Ypres.”

“Your son knows the Ypres? Or is it Ypreses?”

“Beats me. He knows one of them, Corrie. Kaitlyn Vehn’s younger sister. Still don’t understand the exact relation, but they’re both William Ypres’ kids for sure. She’s back in the RTO doing relief work right now. Terrible business, that. Not just the war, but what she’s dealing with. Civilians uprooted. Good work, but hard work.”

“I’m sure.”

“So it’s a big, empty box these days,” Regan continued, “I might just have to invite the Court to come so I have some more company. Speaking of which, ordinarily I would make a veiled reference to this year’s elections and their impact on my nephew and his wife given the Miners’ current record,” Regan said, “but the truth is that your Farewell Tour is going to engender enough positive press that it will likely deflect too much in the way of any negative impact.”

“You won’t mind if we try to keep winning, though?” Alana quipped.

“Certainly not,” Regan agreed, “For all I know the combination of your last season and another Galactic Cup could make one of them Prime Minister. I don’t think they’d mind.”

“Hold on, I need to get my cleats from here. I had them put on longer ones with the morning rain,” Alana said, pressing the button for the equipment room door. Alana stepped inside as she spoke, still looking at Regan.

When her head came around she exclaimed in surprise, “Horst!”

Nearly concurrent was the Supreme Court Justice’s similarly shocked outburst of, “Trixie!”

The captain and the chairwoman had surprised the pair in the midst of extracurricular activities from which they were now disentangling themselves. Trixie had grabbed a jersey--given its size it looked like Horst’s--and Horst had grabbed an equipment bag to offer some modest, if makeshift, covering.

“Patrixa Eldred what are you doing?!”

“I thought you knew what this was, Mom,” Trixie said in her usual challenging way, “or did you adopt me and never tell me about it?”

“Horst--I...I am not entirely sure what to say right now,” Alana said, realizing that in her surprise she actually didn’t know what to think about the current situation. She wasn’t sure there was anything wrong, but on the other hand she wasn’t sure it was a smart idea with a limmie game to play.

“Mrs. Eldred, so glad you’re here. I’ve been meaning to tell you that you’ve got a really hot daughter,” Horst said in his usual earnest, perhaps oblivious way.

“Trixie you’re still in university!” Regan shouted, “You shouldn’t be running around with an older being like that!”

“He’s only five years older than me,” Trixie retorted.

“That’s a quarter of your age!” Regan replied angrily.

“Wait...that means when I was a freshman in high school you weren’t even in middle school?” Horst said blinking, “But that means that we couldn’t have been friends when I was in high school because you weren’t in high school when I was…”

“That’s the crux of my point!” Regan agreed, though the newfound agreement between the two didn’t seem to improve her attitude towards Penn.

“Okay, everybody, can we just hold on a second?” Alana said interjecting herself gently into the middle of the dispute, “I realize this feels like an urgent issue, but there’s a limmie game that’s not too far off. Perhaps we should focus on that for the moment and get back to the shouting after that?”

Horst smacked his head. “That’s right, we totally have a game today, don’t we Alana!”

“This conversation is not over,” Regan said. The remark was mainly directed at her daughter.

“It wouldn’t be if there was anything to discuss,” Trixie said.

“We’re all Bakurans so we know what a truce is when we see one. Let’s leave this for the moment, okay?” Alana said, attempting to prevent a further flare up, “Well...except you Horst, but you’ve played in enough Truce Day games I think you get the idea.”

“Hey Alana, who are we playing again today?” Horst asked, now dressed enough to be able to leave the equipment room.

“Carratos,” Alana said, “Remember? Coach said you’re covering Logan Manx this week. You know, the MVP of last season?”

“Oh yeah! I forgot. Is he any good?” Horst asked.

Alana wasn’t sure what she should be more surprised at: that Horst asked that question or that a fellow UBCS Blue Bird was sleeping with someone who had to ask that question.

Alana smiled as she shook hands with Pirates after the game. They’d finally broken through not just on the season and against the Miners as a franchise. She wished them all well with the rest of their season, the reigning MVP Logan Manx and head coach Geoff Copin included. Copin had brought out an entirely new look today and it had worked. Alana did not exactly appreciate the extra midfielder to contend with. It had limited her options on the day and the Miners had been unable to capitalize where they outnumbered the Pirates elsewhere on the pitch.

As she came off the field, Alana fumed inside. 1-3 on the season. Losing to a previously winless team. She just sat down in her stall and clutched a towel, twisting it around in her hand. It was as much rage as she could allow herself to express. She was the captain of this team. Yelling and screaming was something that inexperienced rookies could do. She had to keep it together. She was the great Alana Glencross. Three time champions didn’t get the luxury of venting their feelings. Balancing on the pedestal that the galaxy had put you on was a delicate act.

This was not how she’d wanted her swan song to go. She knew that she was blessed, that she had been more successful than most. Just having played this long was a gift. But she didn’t want to go out with a whimper. She wanted to go out with a bang. She wanted to show the galaxy she was leaving on her terms, not a player who hadn’t know when her time was over. No, she refused to believe it. She still had this season left in her. She was going to leave on her terms.

The towel ripped halfway in Alana’s hands. She looked down at it.

“Should have used that strength on the third midfielder,” Niskat Deenever joked.

“I’ll remember that next week. Who do we play?” Alana asked.

“Rydonni Prime. Their house.”

With a sudden wrench, the towel ripped the remainder of the way through.

Of course they played Rydonni Prime next. Of course they did.

TAG: CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Senator Stadium

It was called the “Rim War” for a reason.

The Smugglers and Senators were both out for blood in this game, and there was plenty of it being shed as the two teams grappled on the field at Senator Stadium. Neither team was giving an inch to the other side, leaving it all out on the field. Defenders smashed forwards to the turf mercilessly, great saves were made on plays that probably should have been goals, and tempers were flaring up. It made for an amazing spectacle for the crowd in attendance today, most of them waving their “Terrible Towel” as the action intensified from the opening kickoff.

Christine had done a number on Mick Steele today. She had made the rookie eat turf so many times she had lost count, continuing to hound him. There was no way she would let the protégé of Mylessa McCloud, or at least her successor, get the better of her today. At one point, Steele got the ball, but Christine popped it loose with a vicious shoulder bump that knocked Steele down to the ground. “That’s how we do it in this league, rook,” she said. Whatever juices were flowing in her mind to open the game were flowing like a river of lava on Mustafar. She wasn’t going to let the Smugglers win. They couldn’t afford another loss.

The defensive struggle was taking over all aspects of the game. The Senators’ duo of Leia Adama and Zuzu Nuun were being absolutely dominated today, Adama not finding any room to operate, and Nuun turning the ball over time and again as the Smugglers set up their defensive pressure. When Adama had a chance to take a shot, Jayla Leed was there to intercept the ball. The former Senator still hated her former team for giving up on her, although what more she had to prove against them was beyond anyone’s guess. After all, she had won two Galactic Cup titles and a Commissioner’s Trophy since the trade, not to mention three straight wins over the Senators. There was nothing more to prove. Nuun at one point in the first half got yanked from the game and got an earful from Sunlua Zan, the offensive coordinator. The rookie went to the bench and sat there with a towel draped over her head for the rest of the half.

On defense, the Senators were taking the Smugglers to task as well. Christine and Zen Keisel were eliminating the opposing corner forwards, and the half back line that had been the subject of much question coming into the season was holding its own. Patricia Meter, probably the most maligned of the half backs, finally looked like the Helmsman winner she had once been coming out of college. Jamee Meels was also making a big impact, and Klay Mettews, his blonde hair flying in the ponytail as he rocketed around the pitch, was literally everywhere. His tireless work ethic would probably be ignored by much of the rest of the galaxy because his team wasn’t winning, but the rookie certainly knew how to play. It reminded Christine of herself as a rookie, having everything to prove and leaving everything out on the field. Rookie reserves Eddie Munster and Chestnut Reeser, in their stints, were also locking things down.

But the major battle was in the middle of the field. Erin Windreaver and Alysha Romax were in a titanic struggle for the ball every time down the field, and it was almost as if Shaw and Swann stopped what they were doing to let the two veterans tangle it out. Windreaver had won Cup titles more recently, but Romax had the Cup title from a decade before, and had the experience edge over her counterpart by many years. Every loose ball in the middle of the field was up for grabs, and the two veterans beat each other up to get to it. For every shot Windreaver put it on Romax, the Hapan dished it back out, or George Wulson did when he came into the game to spell the older midfielder. Swann, a second-round pick in the Draft, was holding her own against Shaw, but few took notice as the second midfielder battle was a lot less glamorous than the matchup of the top-stringers.

At halftime, Christine walked into the locker room and immediately had some bacta rubbed onto her elbow by Tama Wor. The Carosite was running around the locker room as fast as he could to treat all of the players before halftime ended. Becki Morlan, battling her former teammates, had a battered elbow from all the times she had taken shots to that arm from defenders and from using stiff arms, and Natasha Ehlers, in her first career start, had a bloody nose. Wor had to clog the rookie’s nose up with a tissue to stem the bleeding, but there was little he could do. This was about as physical a game as anyone could have expected coming in, and the fans were certainly getting their money’s worth.

The second half played out about the same as the first half, physical play from both sides being the mantra with few scores. Morlan finally had to leave the game after another hard shot, and when she came back from the locker room in sweats, it meant her day was over. Ehlers was able to get open and rocket a shot into the back of the net for three to tie the game up at 8.

Then things got frantic. As the minutes ticked down, the crowd’s intensity grew to a fever pitch, knowing that the next score might be the winner. Both teams knuckled down on defense, not letting anyone get through. The substitution cycles for the Senators kept their backs fresher than the Smugglers at times, but it made little difference. The Smugglers emphasized starters logging heavy minutes, and their conditioning was top-notch despite the continuing stream of hard body blows. Every pass was liable to be picked off, every loose ball a scramble, every moment ticking off the clock another battle. This was what Limmie was all about, two hated rivals going after it with each other, not giving an inch. This would be looked at after the season as an instant classic, one that would go down to the wire.

And then the Smugglers scored a bar point late. Camille Montes wasn’t able to get the ball as it sailed over the bar, just barely getting over her outstretched palm. She even landed hard on the ground because she had jumped up so high. But the score was 9-8 Smugglers, and there was little time left on the clock. A timeout was called, and when the play came back in, things were down to the wire. Twenty seconds left on the clock greeted the Senators out of the timeout.

Coach Carelle put extra forwards onto the field to add extra firepower to the offense. “We only need one!” he told his forwards. “I think we can win this in overtime!”

Christine wasn’t sure if her team could survive overtime. After all, they were young and inexperienced, and for all the heart and guts they had out there today, the Smugglers were just the better team in experience. It wasn’t said, but the forwards knew they had to go for a goal here. That was their only chance. A bar point would be looked at, yes, but a goal would end this thing outright. They had to try.

The ball came in to Adama, but she was covered by a double team. Twisting around, she was able to find a safety valve option in a dump-off pass to Ehlers, but the double team switched onto the rookie, and she was swamped by them. She tried to run out of the trap, but another Smuggler player got onto her. Off in the far corner of the field, Zuzu Nuun found herself wide-open, and she jumped up and down to try and get her fellow rookies’ attention. But with the roar of the crowd, her cries were muted, and Ehlers couldn’t hear a thing.

Christine watched from the bench as the action went down. “Pass the ball!” she and pretty much every Senator fan yelled at Ehlers, but the Smuggler trap had her in tight. Finally Ehlers saw Nuun and lofted a pass up, but the pass was wobbly. Nuun jumped for the ball, but Ben Dayharvest, who had come over when he noticed Nuun wide open, jumped up at the same time and ripped the ball down from out of the air.

Come on . . . ball in the air . . . ball in the air . . . no! NO! NO! Turnover! was how Christine’s mind saw it as Dayharvest made the catch.

Then the horn blared. The game was over, a cataclysmic sixty minutes now over with a costly turnover. Ehlers collapsed onto the turf in exhaustion, bruises all over her face and arms. That had been the story of this game.

As captain, Christine knew she couldn’t have asked for more from her team. In a defensive battle like this, they had held their own. But it just wasn’t enough today. It seemed like it was never enough. And thus the rebuilding project went on, but not without its close games. The Senators were coming out to play in every game thus far; Christine knew that if they could just find that next gear, these games would start turning into wins. Maybe they, despite all the losses, were building something after all. It seemed like a pipe dream, yes, but at the moment, after yet another loss, it was a small comforting thought to Christine as she left the field.

TAG: Vehn

Runjedirun, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Mylessa McCloud
    Senators Stadium, Coruscant

“You stay focused,” Mylessa said addressing the offensive unit. “You know what you need to do to put these guys down. I know, I know, they’re putting up one hell of a fight, but you hit them hard right in the mouth. You match them blow for blow. Take no prisoners, you hear me? Keep pushing.”

“Yes ma’am,” replied a chorus of voices.

“We’re going to-“ Mylessa stopped as she looked over at Meredith Chambers-Vayne.

Something wasn’t right. Meredith was clutching her stomach and looked uncomfortable.

“Hey, you okay?” Mylessa asked.

Meredith looked up and replied, “She’s coming. I’ve contacted Polis. You’re in command now, Mylessa McCloud.”

Mylessa felt a brief stab of panic. She wasn’t ready to lead the Smugglers. Not as an interim coach. How long was Meredith going to be out? How long was she going to have to keep things together?

“Meredith?”

“Yeah?” Meredith weakly replied as Polis Vayne came to her side.

“I don’t know if I can do this,” Mylessa said.

“Yeah you can. I know you can,” Meredith replied. “Win this one for me, will you?”

Mylessa turned back to her team and buried her fear. It was time to finish this game. It was time to win another Rim War.

IC: Meredith Chambers-Vayne

Cracken Plaza Hospital, Coruscant

Several Hours Later

“She’s beautiful,” Meredith said as she cradled her newborn girl.

“Takes after her mother,” Polis said as he kissed Meredith on her forehead.

“Thank you for being here with me today,” Meredith said as she looked up at Polis.

“You kidding? I wouldn’t miss this for the world, Rim War or not,” Polis replied.

“That was one hell of a game,” Meredith observed.

“Yeah it was. I’d say both teams were evenly matched,” Polis said.

“I never did see who won,” Meredith commented.

Polis looked out the window at the bustling Coruscanti skyline. He shoved his hands in his pockets and sighed.

“That bad, huh?” Meredith said thinking the Smugglers lost.

“Well,” Polis said scratching the back of his neck as he returned his gaze to Meredith, “it turned out okay for the Smugglers. You guys won by one point. Late game failure by Natasha Ehlers. Threw up a duck that was easily picked off.”

“Sounds to me like she was swamped,” Meredith said.

“She was,” Polis replied, “drowned in a sea of burgundy and black.”

Meredith returned her attention to their newborn daughter. Their daughter’s tiny fingers wrapped around Meredith’s index finger and that brought a smile to the faces of her parents. They loved her. They loved her more than anything.

“I should be pretty happy about beating your team, Polis,” Meredith said, “but I’m not. Right now, this little girl is the only thing I care about.”

“I’m glad you’re feeling merciful,” Polis teased.

“Watch it,” Meredith replied, “or I’m going to repay you for that punch way back when.”

“You know Ryi Kor’le got back on the field,” Polis pointed out. “Maybe after all this is said and done…”

“I don’t think so, hubby. Our playing days are over,” Meredith reminded her husband.

“Right,” Polis said, “but you think the league would-“

“No,” Meredith reiterated. “And before you say something else we’re going to call her Daisy.”

“Daisy?” Polis repeated.

Meredith nodded and kissed Daisy’s forehead. Daisy briefly opened her eyes, brilliant blue, and examined her new world.

“Daisy,” Polis said again and then smiled, “I like that.”

“I thought you would,” Meredith said.

“She’s absolutely beautiful,” Polis observed. “Looks tired, though.”

Meredith gently rocked Daisy to sleep and whispered, “Goodnight, my angel.”

Tag: Jedi Gunny (who gave me special permission to use Polis for this post)

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post
    Limmie Hall of Fame, Empress Teta

It had been a couple of years since fans of the sport had last gathered here. This year the word had been that it would be worth their while to show up and they came in droves from all corners. They were here to see greatness honored. They would not be disappointed.

The Hall representative approached the podium. “Our first inductee is a group of players. In 270, twelve limmie players honored their commitment as military reservists in the Rydonni Prime Defense Force. Joined by the Head Medical Trainer, General Manager, and Vice President of Operations and 11 former players, this group left behind the glory of professional limmie for the duty of defending their homeworld. In 271, they paid the ultimate price for their service. The Limmie Hall of Fame inducts the Fallen Fifteen of the Monarchs family in 280.”

Fans cheered for these players who had put nation ahead of self and credits.

“Our second inductee was an ELL all-star in five consecutive years, including three starting appearances. She was nominated in back-to-back years for the Salbukk Award. She was nominated twice for the Duchess Eldin Award, including winning that in 278. Captain of the Premiership-winning Ralltiir Starkillers in 271, the Limmie Hall of Fame welcomes Loren Jul.”

A modern great was entering the Hall and the fans in orange and blue were ecstatic that a player who had meant so much to the team would be getting her due.

“Our third inductee was on three Commissioner’s Trophy winning teams and played in eight Galactic Cup Playoffs. He was nominated for the Salbukk once and the Duchess Eldin twice. He was a four-time all-star and started twice. He is a three-time Galactic Cup champion and the one of only two beings in the Silver Age to win the Numifolis Award twice. Gentlebeings, the Limmie Hall of Fame welcomes Aron Rodders to the Hall.”

If 280 hadn’t been a season of celebration on Bakura before (despite the current travails on the limmie field), it certainly was going to be one now, and the Miner fans on hand were getting a head start.

“Our fourth and final inductee founded what is now one of the great limmie franchises of the galaxy, but his work extends far beyond the bounds of one team, benefiting the sport as a whole. He suggested the institution of Monday Night Meshgeroya and was a key proponent and advocate for creating an annual Elite League Limmie All-Star Game. He has experimented in attempting to bring better player safety to limmie without compromising its core ideals. Though he sold the team in 278, he did so by creating a community ownership model that put his team in the hands of its fans. As owner he won a Premiership and he continues to represent the shareholders throughout the galaxy. The Limmie Hall of Fame welcomes Beskaryc Taab this year.”

It surprised no one that this announcement was greeted with cheers of, “Oya! Oya! Oya!” from the blue and silver.

The Hall was starting this decade with a bang.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja Runjedirun

Vehn, Runjedirun, Jedi Gunny and 4 others like this.
  20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Power Rankings, Week Four
    1. Kashyyyk Rangers – Despite the loss this week, the Rangers are still the top team in the rankings. Now that the grace period is over, we’ll see if they can stay here.

2. Mando’ade Mercs – We knew the media reaction was overblown after the Week One loss. The Mercs are rolling now.

3. Denon Demons – Still on top in the Solo Conference. Sounds like last year, before they nosedived from a sure playoff spot to out of the postseason entirely. Surely they can’t let that happen again, can they?

4. Ralltiir Starkillers – Without much of a shock to anyone, the Starkillers are off to a good start! I think it would be more news if they weren’t in first place (or a tie for first) after this many games.

5. Rydonni Prime Monarchs – Two wins in two weeks puts the Monarchs back in the driver’s seat. Again, this just proves how big Vesper Lynd is to the team.

6. Chandrila Patriots – We’re not sure what to make of them. But we’re pretty sure we said that last week, so we’ll just put it in quotations and take royalties from every use of it after this. See that, other news networks? You owe us money after this!

7. Ylesia Lightning – In order to make sure we don’t have to pay ourselves royalties, we’ll just say that the Lightning are a very mixed bag. A very mixed bag.

8. Nar Shaddaa Smugglers – It feels weird when you say the Smugglers don’t need Meredith Chambers to win a game for them. After all her wins, you’d think the opposite would be true, but that was the fact this week. Also, congratulations to Meredith for the new baby, but a win is also a big thumbs-up for the burgundy and black.

9. Coruscant Senators – And the slow fall to the bottom continues. We like their energy, but it’s not enough to give them wins. Might as well get the seat warm for the top overall pick; they have a habit of getting it in recent years. And then squandering it.

10. Bakura Miners – Since they’re the Miners, and they would sue us if they were last in the rankings (which makes this whole exercise no fun), they’re here. Also, since we know they’re just playing with us, they’ll get better. Anyone want to make a bet that the Miners go on to the postseason and win the Cup? The odds might seem long, but this is the Miners we’re talking about. Never bet against them.

11. Carratos Pirates – Picked up their first win of the season, and a blowout win over Bakura on the road is a big deal. And it again took some innovation for them to win. Maybe they should just throw out their playbook and make it up as they go along. Yeah, that’d be great. They would have no idea what they are doing, but if they win, go for it.

12. Hapes Consortium Buccaneers – Can we just say “Meh?” That’s kind of how we saw the C-Bucs do this week.

TAGS to Bardan_Jusik, Runjedirun, CPL_Macja, Rebecca_Daniels, Trieste, jcgoble3, galactic-vagabond422

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

What We Learned: Week 4

To say that we are ridiculously excited that Madelyne Vigo still reads our column (seriously--we thought we’d lost a reader for life after that thing that we’re never going to talk about again) AND she invited us to what sounds like an awesome Galactic Cup Final Week is an understatement. This was such a big deal that it forced our editors to give us credits to go tailgating. BEST JOB EVER.

Bakura Miners – In a “we kind of almost not really called it moment” the Pirates basically double covered Glencross all game and won. See ELL? There is a way to beat Glencross.

Carratos Pirates – A good coach might come up with one good scheme in their entire career. A great coach can put together two. Granted, it’s only the first victory, but this new Pirate attack, the Broadside, might just revolutionize limmie. Also, won’t it be hilarious if a team loses 30-2 and it turns out that it’s a double shutdown because the Pirates only scored points over the bar? Do it. Do it. Do it.

Chandrila Patriots – Because we are not going to flagrantly borrow from our colleagues at the Power Rankings, we absolutely know what to make of this Patriots team. They’re going to flirt with a playoff spot all season long, a lot like our interns when they’re supposed to be working.

Coruscant Senators – Being in close games is step one to winning close games. And you know what they say--one step forward, two steps back. Or is that the other way around? Wait, this sounds like a dance lesson and none of us remember our middle school cotillion lessons. Which one is the butter vibroblade again?

Denon Demons – Seriously, why are we the only beings talking about Ware Vulf? He’s scary the way he locks down that net. Like horror movie scary. Frankly, without him the Demons wouldn’t even be in the ELL right now.

Hapes Consortium Buccaneers – So now all the Bucs need to do is find a hot shot defender who’ll fix all their problems on that side of the ball. I’m sure that they can totally steal a top talent rookie outside of the Draft again, right? That happens all the time.

Kashyyyk Rangers – Wet Wookiee smell. We can’t stop laughing about this.

Mando’ade Mercs – If Jaing is going to be this good, then it’s really unfair that he went to the defending champions. That’s like a Mandalorian saying, “Yeah, I really need this second flamethrower.” Actually, no, now this all makes sense.

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers – Next week Mylessa McCloud is going to be the offensive and defensive coordinator. And then she’s going to be the general manager. And then she’s going to put the cheese on the nachos at half time and valet park our speeders and she’ll ref the game. Also, she’s going to coach the other team too. Seriously though--has anyone ever gone from on-field player to interim head coach in less than a season--and then won a game? That’s pretty impressive.

Ralltiir Starkillers – How does Ralltiir respond to losing? By beating the last undefeated team left and hosting the Final. If somebody broke up with Ralltiir, they’d probably turn around and start dating that really hot being that you’ve always wanted to date but were too scared to ask out.

Rydonni Prime Monarchs – Remember how big of a hole the Monarchs were in? Well even with Vesper Lynd back they’re still last in points scored. We’ve already started an office pool to see how high the Monarchs can get by the end of the season with Lynd back. The over-under is sixth place.

Ylesia Lightning – When goalkeeping is your biggest worry and you’re the Lightning...well, you should be worried. You should be. Also, Yoda is now the new goalkeeper’s coach for the Lightning. Points lead to goals. Goals lead to losses. Losses lead to suffering.

Runjedirun, Jedi Gunny, Vehn and 3 others like this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

It all began with a bar point from Nina Odette. A bar point that was answered with a goal from the opposing Kashyyyk Rangers. Bartholomew took no time returning the favor by putting 3 points on the board himself. Our defense tightened. Not a single point was to be scored by Kashyyyk for the rest of the evening. While the Starkiller offense was having no trouble putting points on the board against the Ranger defense.

By the time it finally ended we had put up 30 points. Most of the children in our box fell asleep during the second half. I stopped by the locker room briefly on my way out to congratulate the team on their win. As soon as I got home I placed Louise in her crib and crashed in my own bed. I never even heard Trey come in.

Louise woke me before dawn the next morning. Trey slept later than usual, but immediately after grabbing some breakfast he headed to the stadium. The players had the day off. Ty and Lucie bought T.J. over so he could swim. Word got around. Soon Justyne and Fortune arrived with Zoey and Marty. Not long after that Bat and Georgia also made their way to the house with Serene and Tyffanie. It was nice to have so many of my children and all my grandchildren home. Justyne, Lucie, Bat and I set up shop to begin preliminary plans for hosting the Galactic Cup and other festivities right on the pool deck.

Justyne and Bat began to build a holo page dedicated to all the events we were hosting and ticket sales. I began to panic. “Who’s going to keep this site up?” I asked. “You know good and well I don’t have computer skills.”

“Georgia is good with computers. She keeps that blog of the girls. She has millions of followers at least and her site never crashes. I’m pretty sure she built it herself,” Bat offered.

I don’t think Georgia was very happy about being volunteered. But she willing took notes on all of our ideas and told us she’d have it ready to go live by the end of the week.

With the game being away this week and Georgia working on the holo site I felt less needed. Trey was rarely home so Louise and I attended Tomas’ Limmie practices and I started cleaning house more. The day before the shuttle departed for Hapes I noticed that Tomas had never started painting in the den. All the furniture had been moved to the middle of the room. We had purchased a light blue paint, but not a single can had been opened.

I decided to ask him about it at dinner that evening. “Did you forget that I asked you to paint the den?” I asked shortly after we had been seated.

“No,” Tomas answered with a shrug before shoving a large forkful of food into his mouth.

“When are you going to start painting, then?” I asked.

Tomas shrugged and continued to chew.

“If it’s not done by the time the Starkillers return from Hapes, you’ll be painting while your teammates are practicing,” I threatened.

“I can’t decide if the color is right,” Tomas argued.

“What do you mean? Two weeks ago it was the color you chose.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t change the color. There aren’t enough memories of Dad in the house,” Tomas replied.

“So this is about your father?”

“I don’t like the way Coach treats you,” Tomas said shocking me. “During that rehearsal last week. He thought he could just order you around. Why do you take that?”

Part of me wanted to break it to Tomas that his father often did the same thing. I thought better of it and tried another approach. “Everyone treats me that way. Even you,” I reminded him.

“You need to stand up for yourself,” Tomas told me.

“I’m standing up for myself right now. You paint that room like I told you or you suffer the consequences.”

“Bat plays professional ball. He never practiced when he was my age.”

“He walked onto his own team. A move that was never approved by me. You want to play in this organization. You’ll play in college first.”

“That’s not fair.”

“It’s what your father would have wanted.”

“I doubt dad would have wanted you to get remarried,” Tomas shot back.

“Tomas, that’s enough,” I said trying to keep my lip from quivering. It was no use the tears came anyway. Silently we both ate what we could and cleaned our plates. I took Louise up to her room. I didn’t bother to put Louise in her crib. I snuggled in the bed with her and fell asleep.

The next morning I didn’t feel much better. Despite the lumps in my chest and throat I showered, dressed and headed to the stadium after dropping Tomas off at school. I met with Georgia. Her site design was exactly what I envisioned. We released the schedule of events for the week.

Monday: All Star Player Meet and Greet with fans Klivian Hall
    Tuesday: All Star Game Financial Square Arena
    Wednesday: Media Day Klivian Hall
    Thursday: ELL Awards Ceremony St. James Theater
    Saturday: LFL Championship Game Financial Square Arena
    Sunday: “Galaxy’s Biggest Tailgating Party” Financial Square Arena
    Sunday Evening: Galactic Cup Financial Square Arena

We set up individual ticket prices for each event and several package combinations. When the site went live I also sent a electronic message to the What We Learned Column. Their article had given us the idea for the tailgating party. Next and most nerve wracking of all I sent a personal message to each GM and owner inviting them to participate in the dunk tank challenge. My children had come up with the idea that we could raise a lot of funds by putting me and other figure heads of the ELL franchises in dunk tanks during the ELL tailgating party. The idea was for fans to donate at least 50 credits to Starkiller Strong for a chance to dunk their GM or perhaps the GM of a rival team. I gave the owners and GM’s the option to choose a charity of their choice to take for their time spent in the tank.

I shook when I sent those messages, for fear that no one would reply. What if I had to sit in that tank to be humiliated alone? If the Starkillers made the play-offs again and lost before the cup the line to dunk me would be kilometers long. “It’s for the fans mom,” Lucie explained. “The publicity alone will make it worthwhile.”

Deep down I knew Lucie was right. I was feeling much better by the end of the day. We had already received word from Kashyyyk, Carratos, Chandrila and Bakura that they would send representatives. Trey set up a private table with a meal for us to share at the stadium restaurant. My older children watched Louise while we dined. I let Trey voice his confidences and concerns with the upcoming trip to Hapes. He was confident that Kaat wanted nothing more than to stop every goal shot towards her for being overlooked by her home planet as a ball player. He was confident about how well the offense was clicking. He beamed over the consistent play of rookie midfielder Chira Moun and said it was honorable of Chira to allow the press to give all the credit to Hovechar without complaint.

Trey’s concerns were his team’s over confidence. Just because Hapes had struggled so far this season didn’t mean they weren’t deserving of being in this league. They had beat the Pirates who had kept us on our heels to the final buzzer in week one. Trey also hated long flights. He already had his mind set on an upgraded shuttle for next season. After hosting the cup he figured we should be able to afford one.

I listened to Trey’s concerns. I kept my argument with Tomas to myself. I also chose not to voice my insecurities about putting myself in a dunk tank. After our meal we all headed to the spaceport. Once the shuttle was out of sight Lucie and T.J. followed me and Louise home. Tomas was at practice. Ty had insisted on having Lucie and T.J. stay with me since her baby was due in a few weeks.

We all went to watch Tomas compete in a Limmie game the following day and enjoyed a dinner out. The next morning while Lucie and I were clearing the breakfast dishes T.J. disappeared. At first we thought he was playing an unannounced game of hide and seek. When several minutes passed without him responding to our calls I panicked and ran for the swimming pool. T.J. was not in the pool, lying on the bottom or anywhere on the deck. Frantically we searched the house until I heard a scream. Lucie had found T.J. He was painting the furniture in the den.

Lucie was beside herself. She reamed T.J. out, set a chair in the corner of the living room and told him to sit, like some sort of domesticated animal. I went to study the crime scene for myself. The damage was worse than I thought possible. Paint was spilled on the carpet and stroked all over one of my best sofas. A sofa Martin had imported from Naboo. After careful examination I realized that the paint had been spilled on the carpet long before this morning. I t was dried and set in. There was no paint on the walls. T.J. couldn’t have opened a new can of paint himself.

Tomas was still in bed. I knocked on his door loudly before barging in. “Get up Tomas!” I instructed.

“What the hell? I’m sleeping.”

“Don’t speak to me that way. What did you do to the den?”

“I was mad at you. I threw some paint on the floor. It’s not like you can’t afford new carpet. Get out of my room.”

“T.J. found the open paint. The sofa is ruined now too,” I stood in Tomas’ room trying to compose myself. “Besides, you can’t go destroying property just cause you’re angry.”

“I told you to get out of my room!”

I wasn’t Lucie. I knew if her son told her what to do she’d have an answer. I didn’t have an answer. Before Tomas saw me cry for the second time in one week I turned and left. Lucie had Louise. I couldn’t face her either right now. I went to my own room, shut the door and wept.

Hours later there was a knock at my door. “Mom it’s almost kick-off. Aren’t you going to watch the game?” Lucie called.

“I’ll watch in here,” I called back. “You can bring Louise if she’s too much trouble.”

Lucie tried to open the door, but I had locked it. After the knob rattled a few minutes it opened. Lucie had used a pin from her hair to pick the lock. “Mom you have to get up,” she said coming in towards the bed. “Louise needs you, the team needs you, Coach needs you, I need you,Tomas needs you even if he is too stubborn to admit it.”

“Lucie, I can’t...”

“Mom you have to. You can’t retreat from life when it gets too hard.”

I didn’t think I could. I hadn’t moved from where I was lying on the bed. My thoughts drifted to Spencer. Obviously he didn’t need me. The Sandskimmers had won last week and he hadn’t even called to tell me the good news. No, I reminded myself. Lucie was right I had to make the negative thoughts stop. I had to make them stop now. I turned and looked at the chrono. Only five minutes until kick off. “Where’s Tomas?” I asked.

“In the living room with T.J. and Louise. We cut up raw vegetables to eat as snacks. T.J. isn’t allowed to have any junk food. All his privileges have been pulled for the day.”

“Lucie he’s 3.”

“And he’s going to learn that he has to pay for his mistakes. Are you getting up or not?”

"Lucie can you give me enough time to go down to the studio? I haven’t danced since before I found out I was expecting Louise. Maybe it will make me feel better,” I tried to explain.

“Sure mom,” Lucie answered. “We’ll let you know what you miss.” Lucie turned and left. I headed towards my closet. I located my dance shoes, a skirt and matching tank. Getting dressed lifted my spirits. I practically ran down the stairs.

As I walked by the living room T.J. called out, “I sowwy grandma.”

“That’s okay sweetie, I’m sure you and Tomas will find a way to make it up to me,” I said looking in Tomas’ direction. “You cheer hard for your daddy and I’ll see you in a bit.”

“Okay,” he said cheerfully. I continued on down the hall to the dance studio. When I got there I flipped a switch. Lights eliminated the room. I flipped another and music began to play. My hips moved first, than my feet, it came back quickly. I felt freed of my burdens all at once. Maybe, just maybe, I could handle this.

Tag: jcgoble3

Trieste, Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Briar Thorne

Achoo!

Briar wiped her nose once again, completely sick of having to continue this exercise. She had developed a cold during the week, and had decided it was best to stay at home instead of going to the stadium for the Senators-Demons game. While some in her position would have gone anyways, she had been dealing with a very sore throat all week, coughing, and sniffling, so the doctors had advised her to remain at home. There was no reason to expose her front office staff or the players to the virus; both groups had enough on their collective plates as it was. They didn’t need more issues like getting sick before the Ylesia game that was the home finale.

So Briar sat on her bed watching the Holo. She had never watched Senator games in her spare time with the Miners unless she absolutely had to, and never had seen any of the pregame material. And she wasn’t impressed by it, but she guessed there wasn’t much to talk about when your team didn’t win a lot. Obviously things were wearied by the constant losing, and it had spilled over into how these kinds of shows were run. The anchors, Flynn Carp and Ozzy Rytund, were trying to keep things positive by commenting on how close the Senators were to beating the Smugglers the prior week, but there was no masking how mediocre this team really was. Briar had known coming in that this would be a large project, and that things could easily turn south. Yes the team had kept things close in their first four games, but they had a 1-3 record to show for it. For as much as progress could be made in that vein, coming close still wasn’t the same as winning. For Briar, who was used to winning, it was a hard pill to swallow to deal with these losses. At least the Miners were further down in the standings at the moment, although Briar knew better than anyone not to take much stock in that. The Miners would rebound; it was only a matter of when. She couldn’t say the same for the Senators.

The Denon Demons were on the docket today for the home team. Sitting on top of the Solo Conference, the Demons were once again relying heavily on defense to win games. Ware Vulf had allowed only 10.25 points per game against him, which would challenge the Senator offense mightily. They had problems scoring against Nar Shaddaa, and Briar wasn’t sure if that was because Jayla Leed had been that good, or if cracks had started to develop in the Senators’ offensive game. The franchise had gone through a lot of offensive struggles in recent years, if ‘struggle’ could even begin to describe the 277 fiasco, and there was no telling if one bad game was the final reveal of a flawed offense or just an off game. The larger issue was how the Senators were missing two starters in Becki Morlan and Anya Amasova for this game. Morlan had gotten injured in the Smuggler game with an elbow issue and would be sidelined the next two weeks, and Amasova was still dealing with family issues back home in the Consortium. Making matters worse was that Natasha Ehlers, the spectacular rookie forward, was doubtful for this game with the bruises she had sustained in the Smuggler game. The training staff advised that she sit out this game due to a contusion on her leg, so she likely would be held out. That left the half forward job to Ava Killenger, the veteran who would see her first start of the season. But she wasn’t flashy, and right now the Senators needed a spark. The Smugglers had shown the rest of the galaxy how to shut down the newly-improved Leia Adama and the talented but raw rookie Zuzu Nuun the prior week, and undoubtedly the Demons would follow a similar blueprint. So the impetus was for the other Senator forwards to score some points and take pressure off their stars. If Killenger, Lorykk Fey’limm, Vail Pin, and Laura Cellen could provide some scoring punch, then Adama and Nuun would likely find ways to burn the Demons. That was where this whole game depended, because the Demons wouldn’t give up any cheap points. Sugnok Umanh was a bruiser at full back, and would make Adama have to work for every play. To fill in depth, Hyde Los, a former Mercs farmhand, had been called up at half forward, but he likely wouldn’t see much playing time.

Unlike the prior season, the Demons were scoring at a decent clip in addition to playing solid defense. Li Roy Jinkins was the key to their offense, so the Senators had to play good defense in order to win. It meant that the corner back duo of Christine Gamble and Zen Keisel would have to lock things down, and the half back line would need another good game in them. Camille Montes had done well against the Smugglers in goal, and would be relied on to keep the Senators in this one. It was a lot of pressure, but Briar was at least comforted by the fact that the Hapan was a veteran and had played a lot of games. Still, she didn’t have a great track record, so a lot was left to be desired by that shortcoming.

” . . . and we’re left to wonder if this kind of start can continue against the Demons,” Carp said on the Holo.

“I think it can. The Sens just need to play their game, because they’ve been doing it already this season. Once they got themselves in gear during the Kashyyyk game, they’ve been keeping things close. And that will serve them well. They just need to be intense and be hungry,” Rytund, a Duro, said.

Isn’t that the truth, Briar thought to herself as she blew into a tissue. It would be weird to sit home and watch a game, but it was her only recourse. Not even watching the game would be tantamount to her either not caring or giving up on the season, and Briar Thorne was not one to do that. No, she would stick it out, even when her body ached and told her to get some sleep. Maybe at halftime she would take a nap; a fifteen-minute break wouldn’t hurt.

As she propped herself up on pillows, Briar prepared herself to watch the game. She had laid out a bottle of cough syrup for herself, along with plenty of liquid. A sandwich was also there for her to munch on, but it was meant to be bland and boring. Limmie was more important than anything here, even her hunger; she just hoped that the cold wouldn’t be the knockout blow today. Hopefully that would be provided by her young rookies-driven team against Denon. Hopefully they would finally win that tight game and gain confidence going into the Ylesia game.

Senator Stadium

The box felt strangely empty without Briar in it, the others noticed as the game was ready to kick off. Polis Vayne, the team's owner, was also out after his wife had given birth the prior week during the game. He was home with newborn Daisy. “Feels quiet,” Aebatt Zargana, the assistant GM, commented to the other front office staff.

“I bet she’s watching it at home,” a staffer commented.

Tela Loni walked to the back of the box. “Where are you going?” Aebatt asked.

“I feel like crap,” the head scout said. “It’s morning sickness. I’ve had it a couple of times already the past few weeks. Just not during a game like this.”

“I didn’t know you were pregnant,” Aebatt said.

"Well, I was trying to keep a lid on it through the rest of the season, but I guess the cat's out of the bag," the scout commented.

“Congrats. But also, feel better soon, got that?”

“Oh, don’t worry about me,” Tela said. “As Briar always says, worry more about the team, and not any one of its parts. That includes me. I’ll be fine.”

She hoped as she made a quick retreat to the refresher that those words were indeed true.

Christine knew this was a big game. A win here put them back at 2-3 and into the thick of the Solo Conference race; a loss here would pretty much doom them. With a back-end five game road trip to finish off the season, this was a must-win game in her opinion. Losing here would make it a race to the bottom for all intents and purposes. After having to sit through three top picks in four years, Christine was sick of losing. She wanted to win.

So she let her teammates hear it in the locker room that she wanted them to fight hard. She hoped it wouldn’t be a problem for them to have motivation to win this game, but a little bit of extra incentive didn’t hurt. If they followed that advice, she couldn’t tell, but she hoped that they would.

Her matchup today was Tsulkalu, a former Merc. The Wookiee would give her all sorts of fits most likely, so the defense was prepped to make sure that the large forward wouldn’t get her choice of shots. With the size advantage she had over Christine, it would take some muscle to prevent her from trying to take over. But this was the kind of matchup that Christine had been signed to a long-term contract for; she was the Senators’ best defender, and thus had to take on the hard assignments.

Because as much as the media scoffed at it, in some weird way, the Coruscant Senators needed Christine Gamble. Her overall role on the team was still uncertain, but without her, they would be a whole lot worse off. And that was a fact.

TAG: No One

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Salis D’aar, Bakura

As the Pirates prepared to head out to Nar Shaddaa Geoff did a quick head count, one was missing, Jace.

“Has anyone seen Jace?” He called out,

“I knocked on his door,” Boutros answered “he said he’d catch up later.” The coach checked his chrono, their departure was in about a half hour. He should be here by now. Geoff sighed,

“I’ll go round him up, you guys get packed up.”

“Better hurry coach,” Logan said tapping his wrist, “we’re on the clock.” Geoff gave an understanding nod and made his way back to the hotel the Pirates had stayed. After knocking, he heard some stumbling around.

“Be right there,” a Jace’s voice replied slurring his words. When the door opened the coach’s face soured from the stench of alcohol emanating from the room. “Oh, hey coach.”

“Don’t hey coach me, we need to get going.”

“If you can’t already tell, I’m in no shape to go anywhere, much less the Smuggler’s Moon.” He paused for a bit to stare at the ground. “Not like you need me anyways.” The corner back lifted his head again. “That just slipped out, little drunk right now.”

“Your room smells like a distillery, I’d say you’re more than a little drunk.”

“You caught me. I guess I kinda forgot to stop partying last night.” Geoff ready didn’t have the time to lecture or council his player.

“Alright let’s get you packed up, we don’t want to be late.” The coach stepped into the rather messy room and began picking up errant pieces of clothing and putting them into a bag.

“Whoa, coach you’re not my mom you don’t have to do that,”

“You said yourself you’re in no condition to go anywhere so I’m helping you out, I’m not going to leave a player behind.”

“This aint the military man, I’ll just catch a later ship.”

“And let you miss at least a day of practice, no way.”

“It’s not like you need me there.” Geoff stopped for a bit and gave a sidelong glance at Jace. “What it’s true, Schnitt drafted that Kala guy and Samia’s heathy, you don’t need a third string back.”

“We have plenty of need for you, what if two backs are out, what would we do then?”

“Great so I’m just a spare, I guess I should be use to that. I was only hired because you guys needed someone to fill a place.”

“Hey, you didn’t just fill a space, you saved our first season, without you we would’ve had to forfeit the rest of the season. Last year you stepped up again when the team needed you.”

“Yeah on the worst back line in the league. We were terrible.”

“You have to remember you were behind probably the best half back line that season. Everyone compared you to them, and that wasn’t fair.”

“We’re still terrible, even if we had four people in the back, we’d still suck.” Suddenly something occurred to Geoff. The Smugglers had a rather middling offense this year but, that didn’t mean it could come alive against the Pirates. Also the coach didn’t want what happened to the ‘All In’ to happen to his new long range strategy. Maybe he had another game plan knocking around in his head.

“Wait, say that again.”

“What we suck,”

“No before that,”

“If we had four backs instead of three, or two, it’d never work. We’d have to pull a player from somewhere more important.”

“I think it just might, if we use the same sort of offensive attack but with a beefier back line,”

“Coach this is the drink talking, don’t take it seriously.”

“Hurry up, we’ve got some long practices ahead of us.” Furiously Geoff stuffed the rest of the clothes into the bag and ushered Jace out the door. On the shuttle ride to Nar Shaddaa he worked out the finer details.

____________________________________________________________________________________
    Vertical City, Nar Shaddaa

“You’re insane coach,” Logan called out in a small meeting room near a practice facility. “Four backs, and only five forwards, we won’t be able to score at all like that.”

“Hear me out, sure it will be slow going but, with what we learned with the plan last week,”

“I believe you mean with the Broadside.” Tian shouted,

“I still think Bombard is better,” Logan retorted,

“Both of you be quiet,” Rime cut in ending another argument over naming rights, “coach is talking.”

“Thank you,” Geoff paused for a bit to allow the room to settle, “Alright as I was saying with what we learned from the last game we can still win with mostly bar points and quick possession times. I think this back line formation can smother the opposing offense making it easier to win with few or no goals.” Gabby’s hand shot up in the back of the room.

“Isn’t that why we had three midfielders last game?”

“You’re right but, you also played more defensively than usual. This plan frees you up to be more offensive and leave what gets past you to the half backs and backs.”

“Really,” Mikia chimed in, “we’re going to hinge everything on the backs, a little reckless don’t you think, especially against the Smugglers.”

“So was using the ‘All In’ against the Mercs, I’m not saying it isn’t a risk, if we attack the same way every time they’ll get wise and then we lose three games in a row, I don’t want that to happen again.”

“Do you plan on coming up with a new game plan for every match up?” Vayan said arms crossed.

“If I can keep thinking them up and they seem feasible, yes.” The room went silent.

“This must be what going mad feels like,” Brian called from the center. The room erupted into laughter, he was right. Geoff must be going mad, to think he can come up with six more game plans for his remaining games but, nothing worth doing was every easy.

TAG: Vehn

25. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Vesper Lynd
    Limmie Hall of Fame, Empress Teta
    The Fallen Fifteen Induction Ceremony

As the owner of the Monarchs, Vesper was informed of the impending induction of the Fallen Fifteen. But as she was not on the team, let alone the planet, when these brave souls paid the ultimate price for freedom, she did not feel it would be fitting to speak on their behalf. Initially she turned to their former field commander, Uda Nazug, but he recently accepted a commission as The Admiral of the Namaryne System Fleet and was indisposed. Her second choice was hesitate to accept such an honor, but after sleeping on it for a night she agreed to be the one to accept the award on their behalf.

Dawn Solo slowly made her way up to the podium, accompanied by the other war vets of the Monarchs, Beks Vidda, Mia Silas, Lex Silas, and Edu Ovando. Solo seemed nervous to Vesper, normally a stoic presence in the dressing room and a fiery voice on the sidelines, it was odd to see her this way. After a few moments she appeared to have steadied herself and began her speech.

“When Ms Lynd approached me about making this speech, my knee-jerk response was to respectfully decline. But, after letting that moment pass, I asked for some time with which to consider my decision. I went home and pulled out a footlocker which I hadn’t opened in nearly a decade. Inside, it contained items, which even to this day, instantly brings me to tears.”

Vesper could see her eyes were starting to water, even from her seat.

“When my eyes fell upon them, I was instantly transported back ten years. My brothers and sisters, that who these folks are that stand with me and those we immortalize today, left their homes with the knowledge that some of us were not going to be coming at all and that all of us would not be returning whole. These fifteen are more than just players and more than just patriots, they are all heroes.”

Solo’s voice started to break.

“Nine years ago they were honored with the second Zumtak\Vigo Award and I said these exact same words which ring true today. This…” she looked up into the crowd, “this is for not only the Fallen Fifteen, the Fourth Fleet, and the Second Fleet. But this is for all my brothers and sisters in every single one of the Armed Services across the Galaxy and their families. If there is one thing that we all take away from this today, I hope it is this one simple truth.” She paused as she choked back the tears that threatened to come streaming down her face. “Freedom isn’t Free.” With that, she rejoined the four who had accompanied her on stage and they returned to her seat.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----
    Monarchs Stadium, Rydonni Prime
    280 ELL Week 4, Memorial Day, Monarchs vs. Patriots (17-5)

The Namaryne system hymn solemnly finished playing and the traditional reading of the deceased Monarchs who served in the name of freedom names began with the Fallen Fifteen:
    Lorli Boxey
    Hahn Emaldo
    Riv Emerik
    Nash Hareilly
    Endra Hawk
    Cota Lorley
    Austin Pence
    Gage Rango
    Ila Rieger
    Pia Riise
    Ali Senow
    Inus Socca
    Sasha Tarik
    Ahcas Yzoj

They were then followed by those who died outside the line of duty:
    Gary Berrina
    Jaren Strick
    Tev Undolo

As Vesper looked across the field she found it fitting that they would be facing off against the Patriots as
    they were memorializing true galactic patriots. But as the match trudged along she felt something strange, something that was all but foreign to her three years ago when she played in defensive struggles. She was winded, completely fatigued by the close of match. Vesper was still out of shape.

She needed to fix that before the Blue & Gold Bowl next week, or Alana Glencross was going to have an easy retirement present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.