main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• On last night's episode Rurra Eshka'mos announces that The Nightly Show will broadcast from Kenobi Field for a special event celebrating the Mets' first-ever home game in Elite League Limmie
    • "This is an historic event," Eshka'mos said, "which will completely devalue by our very presence. It should be awesome"
    • Game will be played against the Bakura Miners
    • Miners previously played a preseason friendly at Kenobi Field in 275 and lost 28-33
    TAG: Rurra Eshka'mos, because he totally reads this game

2. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

IC: Shady Lerouex
    Dac

She'd seen him backstage. There was no way, at his age, he could compete at the Elite League Level. Somehow he'd impressed the scouts enough to earn a spot here at the draft. Even crazier was the fact that he spoke on that slow Southern Basic drawl. Something about him was familiar. Something about him stank of dirty politics. Something about him reminded her of a time that was better left forgotten.

"It is my pleasure to announce that with the fifteenth pick in the 282 draft," Mylessa McCloud said, "the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers select, James Underwood, Forward, Brentaal College of Commerce."

[​IMG]

Shady's mouth dropped. James shook hands with Mylessa and headed backstage. "You going to be able to keep up with us, Old Timer?" Shady asked. She noticed he walked with a slight limp. "Pain not going to slow you down?"

James turned and leaned slightly toward Shady. His words came out slow, forceful, maybe even a little intimidating. "There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong, or useless pain. The sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no patience for useless things."

Shady nodded.

"You'll do just fine here."

As James walked past Shady, he gave a double-knock on the door frame leading backstage. She tilted her head.

How odd....

Tag: Jedi Gunny

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Rowdy Roosey

Rowdy had long-since fallen asleep on the couch, and it was only the insistent pinging from the alarm she had set on her mobile device marking that the Senators were on the clock to wake her up. Bleary-eyed and tired, she watched the Holo screen in front of her while she fumbled to reach the device and get it to turn off that annoying ping. Sometimes apps like that were nice, and it had certainly woken her, but did it have to keep doing that? She got the memo already, no need to keep bothering her.

Finally she got the ringer to turn off, and she laid her device back on the sofa with her. The Pirates had made their pick, and the Senators were on the clock. She hadn’t seen many of the picks ahead of her because she had been out cold, so she had no idea who was left on the board. The ticker at the bottom of the screen probably had the information she needed, but right now she didn’t care. Did the Senators go for offense on this pick? Midfielder? Defense? They certainly wouldn’t take a goalie, since they already had Leed.

“ . . . the Coruscant Senators select Aaltoides Minte . . .”

One look at the new Chagrian full back told Rowdy all she needed to know about the rookie. He looked laid-back, and was chewing something in his mouth in a rather contented fashion. That kid now stood between her and maybe making the roster as a defensive back, because everyone knew that the Senators needed a defender to replace Deluxx. Minte would try to take that full back job, meaning that the Senators would have two full sets of defenders on the roster. Rowdy had secretly been hoping that the team wouldn’t go that way, picking a defensive player, but now they had. The new reality meant that Rowdy would now likely be fighting for a roster spot with Thyferra. It wasn’t a bad gig; after all, the Force’s defensive coordinator was quite a stud when it came to planning defensive strategies. But it wasn’t the same as making the big time in the Elite League. It meant that she had more competition come camp.

When Rowdy Roosey had competition, usually the other party lost. But would this be the first time she ever lost out to a competitor? Could she beat Minte onto the roster, or any of the other backs trying to make it to the big club? Those questions would be answered soon enough, or the mystery deepened. Either way, Rowdy knew she would have to fight to have a shot at this, and if there was anything she was good at, it was fighting.

When the Miners were up on the clock, Rowdy checked her datapad. She found a message from one of her gym partners, one of her closest friends.

You watching the Draft? was the question.

Yeah. Never realized how much I would care about this thing until now.

You could take that Minte guy. Doesn’t look too tough.

Dunno. I’m still new to this sport. He has the experience, so it’s gonna be a tough fight.

When have you ever backed down from a fight?

Rowdy was going to reply, but the Miners were making their selection, so she stopped. They took Seemee Plabol out of Tatooine, giving them a half forward. Now the Smugglers were up on the clock.

Never. He’s not going to get a pushover in competition by any means. But at least he’ll be a challenge. Haven’t had one of those in a while.

Ha ha. You’ve got the ego down pat.

You think I can’t take him?

Nah, I know you can. Just look at you, though. You’ve got the galaxy eating out of your hands, literally.

Just the way it should be, Rowdy texted back.

The Smugglers, when they took their pick, took James Underwood out of BCC. Something about him didn’t quite add up. After all, Rowdy thought that he would be . . . well . . . younger. But he looked a lot older than he should have for a draftee. And there was something in his countenance that she didn’t like. But she shook that thought off. It was probably just her.

Then the Senators were on the clock. Rowdy sat up a little closer to the screen, hoping that the team would decide to pass on another defender. After all, they had some issues on offensive depth, especially down at the Futures League level. The Force’s offense had once again come in last place in the league rankings, so getting a new forward there would be of major utility. If Briar Thorne saw that, she would make the right move and take a forward. There might not be any left on the Top Rankings by the time their next pick came in.

Who is your franchise taking?

Dunno. Hope it’s not a defender. Need all the help I can get.

Still can’t believe you’ve gotten me watching this thing religiously. I used to watch, sure, but now I really have to care.

That’s what happens when your best pal is playing under the big lights.

You aren’t in the ELL yet. You’ve got a ways to go.

I intend to make a splash.

Then the announcers mentioned that Briar Thorne was coming to the podium. It hadn’t taken long for the Senators to make their decision, obviously. Underwood must not have been on their draft board, and Rowdy was silently thanking them for that. She didn’t like the looks of that guy.

“With the fifteenth pick in the 282 Draft, the Coruscant Senators select Hela Montego, forward from Vertical City University,” Thorne said.

When the camera panned to the audience, the first thing Rowdy saw was a rather determined-looking Twi’lek come forward, her black dress not hiding the multitude of black tattoos on her bright red skin. There was a slight resemblance to a famous Sith Lord in there, at least in the skin tone and number of tattoos on the skin. Rowdy hoped the new pick wasn't a Sith in disguise; that would get ugly.

[​IMG]

IC: Briar Thorne

Montego was no joke, that was for sure. As soon as the Twi’lek came up onto the stage, Briar could see the multitude of black tattoos on the rookie’s skin and headtails, arrayed in intricate designs that seemed very foreign to her. Plus, the look on her face was determined, but also a bit morose. Montego was the exact opposite of Minte; the Chagrian had looked passive, almost completely disinterested. Montego, on the other hand, had a quiet defiance in her facial expression, plus enough body art to have kept a tattoo parlor in business for several days straight. Obviously, she had some axes to grind with someone, or something. Briar just had to hope it wasn’t her.

“Welcome to the Senators,” Briar said to the Twi’lek, not quite sure what the response would be.

The Twi’lek just nodded. “I look forward to this chance to write a good chapter for myself,” she said. It was obvious to Briar that the new rookie was a very focused individual, whether that was for the right reasons or not. Hopefully she wouldn’t be a problem, or else Briar was in trouble.

Looks like someone who is going to fight for things, just like you.

Yeah, tell me about it, Rowdy replied back. Montego was going to be a mystery figure to her for the next few months, the silent and tattooed Twi’lek obviously having some issues to deal with. She looked like a good fighter in the ring, a good challenge for the defending champion. But the arena would be a Limmie field, and Montego was a forward. Then again, if Rowdy played defense, then she might match up against the rookie in camp at some point. That would likely be a battle to remember.

I guess we’ll both see how good we are, Montego, Rowdy thought to herself as the Starkillers went on the clock to finish the second round.

TAG: Runjedirun

Runjedirun and Vehn like this.
  4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Lucie Vigo-Allin

I came down the steps it was about midway through the second round now. Finally both boys were asleep. “Any more midfielders taken?” I asked absentmindedly as I cuddled in next to Ty on the couch. I didn’t look at Ty though, my focus was on his ankle. It was up on the caf table obviously swollen from another early attempted work out. “I told you not to run today.” The words came out

“It doesn’t hurt, Luce. To answer your first question it still looks like we could get a decent midfielder with this coming pick. I know our trades with Mandalore have been less than favorable in the past, but maybe this one is going to work for us. You saw how quickly the good defenders went in the first round. Besides with Fortune finally out of the picture maybe your sister will have better luck with a defender…OW! Lucie that ankle hurts!”

“I barely touched it, and you’re damn lucky my sister is not here she would have re-broken it.” Okay so maybe I shouldn’t have kicked his bad ankle, but I just wanted to prove he was lying, and his comment was completely uncalled for. He knows how broken up my sister is. This new baby is bringing out the worst in me, probably another boy.

IC: Ty Allin

It took a lot more will power than I would ever admit not to reach out and coax my ankle. What was Lucie thinking? The comment was meant to be a joke. She had no sense of humor recently. With the first two pregnancies she had been so overjoyed. This one was different. Just a few more months, once she holds that baby all this will melt away, I remind myself.

“Finally we’re up,” I announce as Lucie’s mom takes the stage in Dac. I look down at Tomas’ blog he’s on Dac held up in a hotel room with his little sister, but he’s still anxiously awaiting his mother’s announcement. To those of us on the inside of the organization there is no surprise…

“With the 16th overall pick of the 282nd Elite League Limmie draft the Ralltiir Starkillers take Kioan Vilnius, Midfielder from the Bakura Fleet Academy.” I sigh in relief and give my wife a firm kiss on the side of her face. She pulls away and gives me a cold stare.

“I’m going to bed,” Lucie says. “Glad it worked out for you.”

Tag: CPL_Macja

Vehn, Trieste, jcgoble3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post
    Dac

"With the nineteenth selection in the 282 draft, the Rydonni Prime Monarchs select Anti Barbuda, Corner/Full Forward, University of Bakura, Cape Suzette," Lokensgaard announced.

"The Mando'ade Mercs are now on the clock for the next two selections."

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja

6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Beep

Beep

Beep

I could finally make out a sound in the darkness. It was a confounding thought, really, because it sounded creepy, almost ethereal. They say that when you are close to death, that you sense strange things. But am I close to death, or am I dead?

Finally, I can open my eyelids a slight bit. My pupils are bombarded with a blinding white light. Is this it? Have I moved on to another realm? Am I dead? I try to open my eyes a little more, but the blinding tone is relentless, and forces me to close my eye shut again in a hurry. That probably wasn’t such a good idea, now that I think about it.

Finally, with that same beeping sound in my ears, I try to open my eyes a bit again. They are met with the same white light that had forced me to close my eyes moments before, but now it’s a bit less harsh. Of course, that’s probably relative, since going from complete darkness to having a wave of intense white light flood your vision is a very disturbing change. And, of course, it makes no sense. I can’t really feel what’s going on; it’s like a dream, a dream of black and white and nothing else, darkness and blinding light fighting against each other for supremacy of my eyeballs.

Then I hear another sound, what sounds like a voice coming from the endless white void in front of my struggling eyes. I can’t quite make out what it is; aside from the strange beeping sound that is echoing through my sensations, it’s a different sound, a lot less harsh, less metallic, less artificial. It sounds organic, something I can’t quite comprehend. What is the meaning of this? What exactly is going on?

Finally, I can make out a bit of what is being said. “Al - - a” is what I hear. I’m not quite sure what that’s supposed to mean, but I guess if I’m close to death, all the logic of everyday life is off the table. The struggle of life and death transcends logic, apparently.

“Alysha . . .” is what I can make out after a few more failed attempts. This is something I can try to process. But what does it mean? What does the voice in the distance want?

“Alysha?” came the voice again.

Ok, there’s definitely something going on here. I know I should understand what that means. Something about it seems familiar, I just can’t place it.

Oh, wait . . .

I finally snap awake, my eyelids flinging themselves wide open to let all the blinding light in. For some weird reason, I can still hear the beeping sound, but things feel a bit more . . . well, I don’t know how to describe this, but I guess normal would suffice, although I don’t know if I can really call this kind of sensation normal by any means. Again, life knows no bounds when it comes to what is logically ‘normal’ and what isn’t.

“Alysha, you’re awake,” said the voice.

Am I awake? I look around myself weakly, my eyes finally cooperating with me. I’m in a white room . . . sitting in a bed . . . beeping in my ear . . . a hospital? That would explain a lot, it really would. I can see a woman dressed in white looking at me with a concerned look on her face. I want to speak to her, but my mouth fails to accurately portray what’s going on in my mind. So what I say comes out a garbled mess.

“Ah, you’re awake and speaking,” the woman said.

‘Speaking’ is putting it optimistically I think to myself. I want to say something, and this time I’m able to hit the nail on the head. The words come out right.

“Wha . . . wha . . . going on?”

“You’re in the hospital,” the woman said. “You’ve just come around after the meds wore off.”

So I guess this goes to my big question: why am I sitting in a hospital bed? Why would I be on meds of any kind?

“Wha . . .” I ask again, still confused about why I am here.

“You were playing in a Limmie game, and you collapsed on the field.”

It was like a stick of explosives blew up in my mind. Without knowingly doing it, I shoot out of my bed-sitting posture and am now sitting up, my breathing ragged. I can feel my legs again, and my arms are both there, that’s good. But the biggest part is that I know who I am and why I am here.

“What happened?” I ask again. I need answers.

“You collapsed, and very nearly died. If it hadn’t been for some quick thinking, you wouldn’t be here now,” the woman said.

And now I know what she is speaking of. I can remember the play in my mind: something wasn’t quite right, so I threw the ball away, and then . . . I can’t explain it, just falling into an unconscious state . . . that’s the last thing I can remember.

“You’ve been out of consciousness for five days,” the woman said.

“Five days?” I ask.

“Please sit back, Ms. Romax. It won’t do you any good to sit up; you need your rest,” the woman said. She used her hands forcefully to push me back into a sitting posture in the bed. At least I could feel that and understand what she did.

“Five days?” I ask again. “Why was I out for five days?”

“Once you were admitted to the hospital, we got you into emergency surgery. It took two procedures, and one of them was two days ago. The doctors decided it would be best to keep you out of consciousness for a while. I know it seems callous of them on the surface, but it made good medical sense. How do you feel?”

“Tired,” I say. It’s true; my body aches, now that I can feel it again. And then there’s a sharp pain shooting through my legs. Good to be reacquainted with you again, legs, I think. “And my legs hurt.”

“Coming out of an unconscious state is a hard process on the body. It will take some time for those effects to wear off. But the important thing is that you are conscious, breathing, and talking. I think the doctors will be glad to know you’re doing fine.”

“What was wrong with me?” I ask.

“Heart defect,” the woman said. “If we had known about it years ago, we could have done something then. It’s unfortunate that it almost killed you.”

I sigh and let my head sink into the pillow. Those were not the words I want to hear, that I could have died. Somehow I was saved, but I still don’t know how or who. I guess there are some questions that have yet to be answered.

“Some of your teammates came by to see you yesterday,” the woman said. “They left you some things, but I suggest you get some sleep before you look at them. I think it would be beneficial for your health.”

“Right . . . sleep . . .” I say. Now my head is swimming, and I can feel a great sense of sleepiness overcoming me. I don’t put up much of a fight, and I slip into unconsciousness once more, back to the dark place known as the void of sleep.

Several Days Later

“Ms. Romax, your recovery has gone very well over the last few days,” the doctor says. I am sitting up in the bed now, fully conscious and understanding of everything going on around me. I seem to be back to normal, for all intents and purposes. The only things that are different are the huge bandages on my chest where the procedures were done on my heart. “Given how tense things got at times, we did a remarkable job on the surgeries, and you should be able to leave by next week.”

“That’s good,” I say. My eyes look over to the small pile of things my teammates left for me on the side table. I can see the card that my fellow midfielders signed for me, the nearly-empty box of chocolate candies that management left, and the garish-colored card that Christine Gamble must have purchased. Only she would find that kind of thing funny. I have never truly understood that girl; she’s a different personality, that’s all I can say.

“But, Ms. Romax, there is one thing that we need to tell you,” the doctor continues, his voice becoming very solemn. “While we were able to patch up your heart, and there should be no more issues with it, we suggest that you retire from Limmie immediately.”

“What? Why?” I ask.

“We aren’t sure if the patches will last the rest of your life,” the doctors says. “Surgeries like this can ‘fix’ things, sure, but it seems too risky for you to keep playing. I’m sorry, but that’s just the way things are.”

“So I can’t ever play Limmie again?” I ask.

“I’m afraid so.”

Frak. I sit back down on the bed and sigh again. So this is how my career ends, with a medical problem nearly killing me. When I joined the league back in 267, I thought that I might be able to write a storybook ending for myself. And, now that I’m at the end of my career, I know that the storybook finish was just a false goal. Instead, my body stopped me from being able to finish things on my own terms. Alana Glencross got to go out on her own terms, but I won’t be able to do the same thing. A wave of frustration sweeps over me. I can’t believe this is happening.

“It might sting now, but we hope the edge will be taken off with time,” the doctor remarks. “It’s for your own safety.”

“Not fair,” I mutter to myself. “Not fair.”

When I finally get discharged from the hospital, I come out a very different woman. Things are going to be a lot different from now on. Instead of playing in games, I will instead be forced to watch them at home or on the sidelines. Every time I see Grace Organa, Maddy Swann, Duncan Gabbert, or whoever else might replace me make a play, I will know that it could have easily been me out there making that play. A cruel twist of fate has changed my life, and I don’t think it’s for the better.

But one thing remains. I don’t want to go out like this. This is not how I want to be remembered, the player whose career was ended by a medical problem. I want to have my storybook finish. And I’ll be damned if I don’t give it another try, whatever it takes.

GM Approved

Name: Alysha Romax
    Species: Hapan
    Homeworld: Hapes Prime
    Birth Year: 247
    Relationship to Team: Player
    Physical Appearance:

[​IMG]

Biography: Alysha Romax began her Limmie playing at an early age, like many girls her age in the Hapes Consortium. Good enough to make it through the youth ranks, she scored a rare scholarship to the Royal College of Hapes as a half forward. During her college career, she played half forward for most of her career, although she also was a strong midfielder. Her talents were noticed by the local scouts for the C-Bucs, but the team did not tender an offer to the young graduate when it came time for her to turn pro.

But the Coruscant Senators did. With General Manager Gark S'rily, already showing shades of the brilliance that would someday make him a Limmie legend, and his staff offering her a contract, Alysha took the opportunity following the 266 season to sign with the Elite League club. While the coaches and scouts knew that she could play midfield, they signed her on as a half forward, a position Alysha thought she would play during her entire career in the pros.

Things changed only a few games into the 267 season. When the Senators benched ineffective starter Ollie Pry'kesh two weeks into the season, Alysha was pressed into service as a starting midfielder. The rest of the season was tough on the entire team, with not much being accomplished by the young rookie despite earning valuable playing time. By the end of the season, her job seemed to be up in the air. However, the team jettisoned Pry'kesh that offseason, handing the starting job back to Alysha alongside fellow youngster Davo Mysilno. Their faith was rewarded when the team stormed from the fifth seed through three playoff games in order to win the 268 Galactic Cup, Alysha playing beyond her previous level during the entire season. She also made major strides during the playoff run, making potentially the play of the season for her team when she controversially out-competed Bakura's Alana Glencross for a wobbly pass in the middle of the field before finding open teammate Izzi Polakaya open near the Miners goal for the winning score in the league Semifinal.

Alysha's career took off from there. She played for the Senators in 269 before becoming one of the players to sit out the 270 season in protest due to the Calo Mornd situation, and then played for S'rily's Wroona Islanders team in 271 that won the Inner Rim Limmie League title. With the return of the Senators to the Elite League in 272, Alysha remained a starting midfielder, and had several solid seasons. After the retirement of longtime captain Dirxx Horstse after the 273 season, Alysha became the new team captain. She held this mantle for the next two seasons, but the pressure was too much for her. After the famous meltdown by the team in their 275 playoff game loss, Alysha demanded a trade off-planet. S'rily didn't hesitate in shipping her off to Hapes, to the franchise who hadn't originally wanted to sign her, in exchange for several players and prospects.

In her time with the C-Bucs, Alysha had a rough go on the overall, but her talent still remained. When Briar Thorne took over the helm of the Senators after the 279 season, she traded for Alysha as part of a larger trade to bring in an experienced midfielder. Given the Senators' overall youth in her rebuild, Thorne knew she needed a strong midfielder to help mentor the younger players as well as provide a rock at the #1 midfielder spot. Alysha, still unsure about returning back to Coruscant, didn't let any animosities affect her, rattling off a spectacular season that netted her an All-Pro nomination for the 280 season. Getting older, and recently becoming the longest-tenured player in the Elite League with Glencross' retirement, she figured that she had a few years left in her career before she would hang the cleats up and walk away from the sport.

However, tragedy nearly struck her during an offseason split-squad friendly. Alysha, after making a weak play on the ball early in the second half, collapsed to the turf. If it had not been for quick thinking from teammate Christine Gamble and the Senator training staff, it was very possible that Alysha would have died on the field that day. Fortunately for her, her live was saved, and she quickly had heart surgery to repair the defect found in her system. The doctors advised that she quit Limmie for her health, since they were unsure if she could ever play again and not risk further damage.

But Alysha wants nothing more than to write a better ending to her career than to have it determined for her. She has no contract remaining, and little chance to playing another game in the Elite League, or for the Senators, who now have strong options at midfielder. But she is going to keep on fighting to make the roster, whatever it takes.

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    IC: The Rancor Pitt
    Draft Night.

"Hi and welcome back to our draft night coverage live from the oyu'baat..."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!" It was apparent to anyone listening that the crowd had been drinking, heavily, all night.

"...where we've had a nights of first, and our fair share of surprises, but things are starting to wind down a bit as we continue the third round."

"Ya know Randy, some people think that these third round picks are waste picks. Or just used as depth picks to fill out a roster, but I disagree. There is usually a drop off in talent level from the first rounders sure, but these players can really help a team out, especially if they are developed properly."

"Developed properly?"

"You know, assigned to an LFL team, or given time to learn on the bench. Most of these players you wouldn't want to throw into an ELL game right off the bat."

"But there are exceptions?"

"Sure, there are always exceptions."

"OK, OK. Any you see..." there was a brief pause. "OK, hold that thought we have the Monarchs pick coming in."

"With the nineteenth selection in the 282 draft, the Rydonni Prime Monarchs select Anti Barbuda, Corner/Full Forward, University of Bakura, Cape Suzette."

"Well that's an interesting pick."

"Leaves just one forward left on the board too."

"The Mando'ade Mercs are now on the clock for the next two selections."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"And the commish just mentioned it now we have the Mercs back on the clock for two consecutive picks, their last picks of this draft..."

"Barring any further trades"

"Yes, barring any further trades. What do you think they go for here Justin? Earlier you were predicting an off board pick, still thinking that way?"

"Yeah, yeah I am. They still need help at Halfback, and with none left on the big board, they are going to have to either grab an off board pick..."

"Or promote from within."

"...or go to free agency."

"OK, so with these picks you expect them both to be off board or...?"

"Yeah. I mean at least one, maybe both, but for sure at least one to fill out the roster."

"Any thoughts on who they might be?"

"I haven't looked at many of the eligible off board picks here, there are so many of them..."

"Well, looks like we'll be making Kitterich and Liz earn their pay then researching these guys..."

"Or Gals."

"...fast because here comes the pick...err picks."

"With the 18th overall pick in the 282 ELL Draft the Mando'ade Mercs select.... Jo'ee Bos'a, halfback, The Ord Sabaok University."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"Oh the crowd seems to love that pick!"

"Oya, oya, oya! So do I! Oya, Oya, oya!"

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"GO BUCKS!"

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"OK, Justin, so another fellow StarBuck for you does that mean?"

"Yeah, I actually know a little bit about this guy."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"OK, so tell us about him."

"He's a local kid, a Mandalorian..."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"Who couldn't get into KMI due to some...irregularities and disciplinary issues."

"Like?"

"Bos'a likes to party maybe a little too much."

"Oh, so tOSU is was a natural fit for him."

"Exactly."

"Hey! Well yeah."

"Ha!"

"This guy is big and fast though, he can disrupt an opposing offense like few others can."

"So why didn't he declare?"

"He probably didn't think he would get drafted. His best bet was to probably sign with a PLL team and develop from there."

"And the Mercs plan for him?"

"Look for them to stash him away with Concordia, to ensure he gets lots of regular playing time and the opportunity to develop. They got a real diamind in the rough here."

"Sounds good, sounds good..."

"With the 19th overall pick in the 282 ELL first year player draft the Mando'ade Mercs select... Vobal Kennick, Coruscant Polytechnic Institute..."

"OYA, OYA, OYA!!!!"

"The Coruscant Senators are now on the clock."

TAG: Jedi Gunny

Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post
    Dac

"With the twentieth selection in the 282 Draft," Lokensgaard said, "the Coruscant Senators select Soi'nya, Midfielder, University of Zeltros.

"And with the twenty-first selection, the Senators select Kran Borgas Half Forward, Cinnagar Imperial College.

"The Nar Shaddaa Smugglers are on the clock."

TAG: Jedi Gunny Vehn

9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Nar Shaddaa Smugglers part ways with forward Gargova Brousard. Brousard was acquired in a trade with the Mercs in 276 and contributed a valuable role in the development of the Smuggler offensive attack.
    • Right Corner Back Ken Zetter resigned to four year contract. "Lilly Vehn made me an offer I can't refuse. I'm on my last legs here. I want to retire a Smuggler when my career is done."
    • Midfield Erin Windreaver signs veteran minimum contract with the caveat that she plays for the next six years. "No, I'm not leaving the Smugglers. I'm saving money for the team so we can continue to win. That's all I want to do is win. Nothing more."
    • Nar Shaddaa Smugglers announce that tickets for home game this season have been sold out. The first time since 278.
    • Ticket prices at Six Boroughs to increase by ten credits per section. Team spokesperson: "We're trying to keep costs down but this franchise has to stay competitive. The rest of the league has moved on. We have not. We've had a price freeze on our tickets for the last five years. Inflation has been a problem that we cannot ignore. Sadly we have to shuttle more of that burden to the fans."
    • In response 'The Crew' has purchased less season tickets this year.

Dac

"With the twenty-second selection in the 282 Draft, the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers select Narsk Ka’hun, Full Back, Le’Roch University, Krant.

"With the twenty-third selection, the Coruscant Senators select Lisha Larring, Forward/Midfielder, University of Shili.

"The Ralltiir Starkillers are now on the clock for the final selection of the Draft."

TAG: Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

Vehn likes this.
  10. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Lucie Vigo-Allin

I watched again as T.J. stood proudly a top of couch cushion. “Aw screw it.” T.J. said excitedly. “Charles Brown You’re the newest player on the Hapes Consonorium Buccaneers.” T.J. motioned for Ezra to begin coming forward. “Now fall,” he whispered.

On cue Ezra flayed to the floor and both boys burst into laughter. It had been cute the first dozen or so times my son’s had reenacted last night’s draft. The novelty had officially worn off. I looked over towards the chrono and wondered if Ty was ever going to get out of bed. I savored the last sip of my caf and began to wipe down the kitchen counter as Ezra hit the floor again.

I laughed out loud from my perch by the stairwell railing. “Hapes really knows how to prepare for another title run,” I commented sarcastically.

“Well look who’s up,” Lucie commented. “Cocky as ever.”

“You weren’t drinking caf were you?” I ask. “I thought the doctor said that stuff isn’t good for our baby.”

“It was one cup. I thought your doctor told you to stay off your ankle.”

It was too early to fight with Lucie. Besides I’d never admit it, but she always seemed to win these arguments and I could never figure out how. “We took Cliff Tuff last night," I said changing the subject.

“It was on HSN,” Lucie commented. “I know it’s what you wanted, but do you think he can help the team.”

“Lucie his parents are living out of their speeder. The so called scholarships from Ralltiir U just weren’t enough. The kid had no choice, but to enter the draft. He’s young, that alone makes him a project. I know the last thing we needed was another keeper. Still he can play corner, he grew up in my camps. He needs this opportunity. He is going to make the most of it.”

I heard Ezra hit the floor again and the boys’ laughter filled the house. “Can I fix you some breakfast?” Lucie asked.

Tag: none

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Mike Doubleday (Human, Male, Half Back) resigns with Mando'ade Mercs after testing free agency
    • Morgan Alesh (Hapan, Female, Half Forward) signs new contract with the Miners for three years
      • Both sides mum on whether drafting of Seemee Plabol helped spur negotiations forward
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Alysha Romax
    Senators HQ

“Good to see you, Ms. Romax,” Briar Thorne said as Alysha came into the GM’s office. “How can I help you today?”

“I want to talk about my future with the franchise,” Alysha said, sitting down in the chair across from the GM. “I’d like to give it another go next season.”

“That’s rather foolish, don’t you think?” Thorne asked. “All the doctors say that it’s best for you to quit, and I think they’re the experts in this field. I’d like to tell you something different, but it’s just not in the cards.”

“I’m going to work out and try to make the team,” Alysha said bluntly. “I can do it. Give me a chance.”

“It’s madness,” Thorne said. “Even if you were able to get back physically, you would always have the incident,” she continued, using the term ‘incident’ to put things mildly, “in your past. And I don’t want to be the GM who let a player onto the roster who shouldn’t be playing Limmie anymore and then have you die on the field. It’s not worth it for you or me.”

“I can’t just let my career end like this,” Alysha said. “I don’t want it to end except on my own terms. This is not an end on my terms. Give me a chance.”

“Even if you were able to promise me you have a clean bill of health, there are contract factors working against you. You do not have a current contract with the team, since the last one expired at the end of the season. So we would have to negotiate a new contract, which is a tricky proposition given that I don’t know if you would be able to play or not. And then there’s the issue with your status as a veteran player; since you are at the highest level on the pay grade scale for a veteran player, the minimum contract I could sign you to would be a massive hit to the team finances given the uncertainty of whether or not you would ever be able to suit up. We’re talking at least a million credits here, and I don’t want to spend that cash if I know you won’t be able to play.

Then, even if you were able to be cleared, where would I be able to put you on the roster? I have four midfielders on the roster already, four players who were able to fill in capably for you. Would you have enough to be able to make it back to the roster and play meaningful minutes? I’m not much for sentimental reasons being the driving force behind these kinds of decisions. Limmie is a business, and right now the business side tells me not to take this risk. Now, if you were willing to talk terms about being an assistant coach or something along those lines, that’s different.”

“I want to play, Ms. Thorne,” Alysha said again. “That’s all I want. I did a bit of mentoring last season, but playing is what I want to do.”

“Then I’m afraid I can’t help you.”

“What if I signed a deal to play in the Futures League? Couldn’t you use that to get around the veteran’s minimum? I mean, I’m not after money here . . .”

“The league would probably try to slap us with a fine for trying to circumvent the system,” Briar said. “You can thank the Player’s Union for that one. It ties my hands, Ms. Romax, and I’d like to avoid fighting the Union if I can help it.”

“What if I can show up to camp in good physical shape? Can I at least try out for the team and see if I make it?”

“You’re very insistent on this, aren’t you?”

“I just want a chance, nothing more.”

“I’m sorry, but I just can’t risk your life and my reputation on this. Just can’t,” Thorne said.

That response was a slap to Alysha’s face, but she knew it would only make her stronger. I’ll show you, she thought to herself as she left Thorne’s office. She was going to try and defy the odds; the only question was if she would survive the process.

Runjedirun likes this.
  13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008

The third round of the Draft was rather ho-hum. There was nothing particularly exciting about this round normally, as players taken here often played very little if at all in the League the upcoming season. The first round picks were the glitzy ones, the second rounders usually had some utility value, but the third round was for the safe bets, the depth picks, and the reach picks. Oftentimes, this was where you would hear of players you never knew existed being selected, scouts who were ‘in the know’ obviously thinking they knew what was best. This territory was still in the Draft, but it was a lot more unpredictable.

But that didn’t mean the picks here were useless by any means. Many players from the third round had been useful for their teams. Vesper Lynd came to mind. Eponette Ternardiel. Ronan. Dalton Ward. Kara Suryesh. Lizbit Comstock. Jamee Meels. Abbey Waters. All of them had played big parts on their teams over the years, and some still were. So blowing off third-round picks wasn’t the best idea. Some decent players, if not outright stars, could be found here.

The Monarchs started off with a forward, then the Mercs had two consecutive picks. They took an off-board pick, and then the final forward left on the board. This made Rowdy a little uneasy; with no forwards left on the board, were the Senators going defense? Would she have even more competition to deal with this next season?

Luckily for her, the Senators took Son’iya, a midfielder. They had plenty of depth at midfielder at the Elite League level, but not so much on Thyferra. Besides, it never hurt to take a bit of a gamble in this round. Maybe the Zeltron midfielder would eventually become a star? Only time would tell on that one.

The Senators then had another pick. It was the ‘reward’ from the Bakura Miners in exchange for them taking a prospect back from the Senator system. Rowdy didn’t quite remember the details, but they didn’t matter at this point. Her organization was on the clock with another pick. Eventually, the pick came in from the Commissioner, who had made the Senators’ prior pick instead of Briar Thorne going up there as usual. They ended up choosing Kran Borgas, a Nosaurian forward from Cinnagar Imperial College. The man was off the draft board, but he wasn’t an unknown quantity. He had won a season award, and for some reason hadn’t been on the board for drafting. So he had been an excellent college player from a power conference who had just been overlooked by HSN raters. It also meant the Force, who had a dearth of good forwards after their roster had been cleaned following the season, got a decent prospect to develop. Either that, or the Senators just added a new forward for their own purposes.

Nar Shaddaa selected the Bothan full back Ka’hun with the third-to-last pick. That suited Rowdy just fine; she wanted the Senators to take another forward, or see if they could trade their last pick. But they ended up using the pick to take another off-board selection. Lisha Larring, a forward and midfielder from the University of Shili, was the second-to-last pick. She was off the board enough that HSN didn’t have any game footage of her to show like with the other selections. So the Senator scouts had obviously been looking deeper than HSN had. Ralltiir finished with a goalkeeper, and that was that.

Now Rowdy could go to sleep. It didn’t take long for her to nod off, and she felt stupid in the morning when she found that the Holo was still left on from the prior night, and showing a crappy infomercial like was seen early in the morning. She had training camp to worry about now.

TAG: No One

Runjedirun likes this.
  14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Draft Rankings

Bakura Miners – B-

While the Miners didn’t take any major gambles, they only addressed depth in the draft. It’s not fancy, but with the Miners, it usually never is. Still, we would have liked to see them find another star or two, and Plabol seems like a stretch, especially if her drafting was only a ploy to make it easier to sign Morgan Allesh.

Carratos Pirates – B+

Drafting van Pelt in the second round was a bit of a stretch, but the top-ranked midfielder on the board is not a slouch. Need we mention their first-round pick, who is a useful defensive back no matter where he lines up? Yeah, we like this draft for the Pirates. They would have been rated higher if they could have gotten a solid full forward to replace Logan Manx.

Coruscant Senators – B

With five picks, the Senators addressed a few areas of need, but they didn’t make a splashy pick anywhere. Minte might be a decent contributor, and Montego could find some playing time with her rough and tumble style of play, but the third-round picks were reaches that might not pan out. Time will tell if Briar Thorne made the right decisions.

Hapes Consortium Buccaneers – B

The C-Bucs got Charles Brown, who instantly proceeded to make a scene with his infamous fall on stage. And they should totally be counted down for that, right?

Mando’ade Mercs – B

We’re always strong on the Mercs’ draft plans, and while they had a solid draft, we’re still scratching our heads a little about the Riian selection at #2. There were higher-rated backs available, and maybe the Mercs, if they wanted Paak, hit the panic button too quickly. And the Bosa selection is another stretch; he has talent, but ego issues might be a problem. On the flip side, getting extra picks in exchange for players on their way out is always a plus, and they got a decent crop of prospects.

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers – B

Taking a player the Mercs obviously really wanted at #1 overall was a priceless reaction to see from the crowd. We can only imagine what Paak will do now.

Ralltiir Starkillers – C+

We feel the Starkillers might have reached on their picks. After all, they already have Kaat Stun in goal, so Tuff might not have been the best selection. But, as with all the local kids from Ralltiir, the Starkillers know what they have on-planet, so that definitely influenced their decision. Getting Manta Se’o from the Mercs was a little costly for them with a first-round pick. Still, he gives the champs depth they sorely need, so it filled that hole nicely.

Rydonni Prime Monarchs – B

Getting a first-round pick for deadweight in Jayla Leed really helped. The Monarchs were able to pick up some depth with their three picks, and maybe a replacement for Vesper Lynd in Anti Barbuda. The Monarchs seem to love drafting Bakuran players, and it usually works out for them, so if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Stewjon Mets name young Ord Mantell phenom Noah Trevor captain for 282
      • Rurra Eshka'mos outside his studio: "I'm so excited about this young being. I think he's got a ton of potential and a tremendous upside. I think the galaxy is going to be very impressed by him"
    • Mets bolster their roster by scooping up undrafted rookie free agents
      • Nuzer Tanris (Rodian, Male, Midfielder, University of Tatooine, Anchorhead)
      • Linus "the Blanket" van Pelt (Human, Male, Corner Back, University of Bakura, Gesco City)
      • Chai'tea (Miraluka, Female, Corner Back, University of Devaron)
      • Marlena Archdres (Human, Female, Goalkeeper, Technical Institute of Jakku)
    • Mets sign veteran forward Melia Soker (Human, Female, Left Corner Forward) from champion Starkillers squad
    • Mets also bring in LFL journeyman Queeno (Rodian, Female, Half Forward, Thyferra Force)
    • Wylliam Starsearcher (Human, Male, Right Half Forward, Mando'ade Mercs) rounds out starting half forward line for Mets
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik Jedi Gunny Runjedirun

jcgoble3, Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Monday Before Opening Day, Cambrielle Ralltiir

IC: Lucie Vigo

“How come Ezra doesn’t have to go to school?” T.J. asked as I parked our speeder. This wasn’t the first time he had asked. It was the first time this morning.

“Primary school will be fun,” I said. “Ezra isn’t old enough to attend yet. He’s going to run errands with me today. That won’t be fun,” it was all I could come up with. Ty and I had been trying to build up the new school experience for T.J. for months and he just wasn’t buying in.

“But I don’t know these kids. And you’re gonna visit daddy at work. Not fair.”

“You’ll make friends,” I encouraged. “Now come on, we need to get inside. You don’t want to be late on your first day.”

With Ezra in one arm and T.J. holding my hand tightly we walked into the front door of the Academy. It seemed like just yesterday that I had attended classes here. I could remember walking my little brother Bartholomew down this same hallway to meet his teacher. My heart was in my throat as I recognized the door. I suddenly felt very, very old.

I opened the door to complete chaos. Children were running every which way, parents were anxiously trying to coax some out of corners where they wanted to hide, little ones cried. A cheery young woman greeted me “Mrs. V…All?”

“Allin.”

“Mrs. Allin, so good to see you again. T.J.’s cubby is over there,” she said pointing. “And his desk is right over here. You can help get him situated.”

I led T.J. over to his cubby and helped him hang up his backpack. Before we could get to his desk his teacher clapped her hands. The chaos turned to silence. I wondered if clapping my hands would silence the boys at home, but I somehow doubted my powers. Parents were ordered a final good-bye. I kissed T.J. on the cheek. “Mom, you’re embarrassing me.” I looked at him in disbelief. “Dad said no hugs and kisses at school, I’m a big boy now, remember?”

“I’ll pick you up after lunch,” I said with a wave. I wanted to add that I loved him, but he was already talking to his new neighbor.

“My daddy won the Galactic Cup,” he was bragging as I left the room.

“Not so tough are you Cliff,” I heard Kaat Stun challenge our youngest rookie as she ran up to step on the young man before he was able to get up from being tackled by veteran forward Frokabukk.

“Lay off Kaat,” I say. “That joke got old last month.”

“The only thing getting old on this field is you,” Kaat reminds me.

“I still have it where it counts,” I remind her.

“We are playing Limmie on this field. Not making babies.”

I don’t even know how to respond to that. I reach out my hand and help Cliff to his feet. “Ready to go again?” I ask. The young man nods. I toss the ball to Frokabukk. He lines up next to Bat Vigo and Kenny Wrehase. Cliff is on my left and Noah Till is on my right.

“Go!” Kaat commands. Frokabukk passes across the field to Wrehase. Noah charges forward forcing a quick pass to Bat. I watch Bat’s feet. He’s moving left, but his eyes are on the goal. I move back a few steps and to the right. The ball hits me hard in the chest as I leap to deflect it. Cliff is on the ground again under Frokabukk. Bat gets the ball back off the deflection. Ignoring the pain in my chest I leap on top of him. We both tumble to the ground. The ball falls harmlessly a few feet away. Noah picks it up and drop kicks it halfway across the field into the area where Hovechar is working out her new partner the former defensive player turned midfielder Manta Se’o. The ball nearly misses Se’o as it bounces on the turf.

“Watch it,” he calls to us in surprise.

“Watch yourself,” Kaat calls back.

“You did punt that kinda far,” I tell Noah.

He shrugs and runs off to retrieve the ball.

We have less than a week until our first game of the season. The Elite League wasn’t making things easy on us. First our regular warm up game against the Lightning during the pre-season had to be cancelled because the Ylesians couldn’t come up with the funds to keep their team in the league and then we are scheduled to play Nar Shaddaa in week one. Every season Nar Shaddaa comes to play. Every year they run the tables on the rest of the league. If we wanted to look like the defending champions in front of our home crowd on Sunday we were going to have to practice harder. “Get up Cliff,” I yell.

“You have to stop letting him get the upper hand. I know he’s over a foot taller, I get that he’s over 100 pounds heavier, but you can’t just fall to the turf.” Cliff has spent most of his days in the goal box where beings deflect shots and mostly avoid tackles. When we brought him on he said he could play on the field and now he had to prove it. “Get a running start,” I tell Cliff. “Use your momentum, leap in the air and you take down that wookiee. That’s the only way this thing works you have to surprise bigger species, knock them down flat, get up and keep running towards your next opponent. Don’t let them see you coming.” I add smacking him hard on the rear as I go to line up.

I know it’s probably not the best thing to do, but I motion to Frokabukk. He nods back. On the next play Cliff hesitates. Frokabukk looks my way and shakes his head. I nod in agreement. We were going to let Cliff have the tackle. Instead we have changed our minds. A boost in confidence might be okay if it’s earned, but Cliff needs to try if he wants this. Noah and Bat tangle up good as I watch Cliff helplessly hit the turf again. Eventually Bat breaks through and I have to leap to secure the ball. I feel a weakness in my ankle as I take off, but no pain as I get back up.

“Take 5,” I holler. “Not you,” I say making eye contact with Cliff. Cliff begins to walk towards me with a defeated look on his face and demeanor in his gait. When he gets close enough I reach out and push him to the turf, hard. “You’ve already quit,” I say harshly. “I fought to keep you on planet when Coach wanted you to spend a season on Tatooine. You prove you want to play here or I’ll arrange a shuttle for you.”

If I look hard enough there’s determination in his eyes. I reach out my hand to help him back to his feet. “Remember the day you showed up at my camp so full of grief you could barely walk out on field?”

“The morning after my brother’s funeral,” he says quietly.

“Your brother is your biggest fan,” I remind him. “You play for him. You prove to him, me and this team you belong here. Cause we both know he’s watching you right now. You have been through so much in life; the physical pain you experience out here will pale in comparison to what you have felt inside. Trust me. You can and will do this. I’m not going to look bad for keeping you here.” I have Cliff line up and call the others in our group back out on the field. This time when the play begins I charge Frokabukk taking him by surprise. He had been expecting Cliff again. I take everyone by surprise. After taking Frokabukk to the ground I steal the ball from an unsuspecting Wrehase. “That’s how you play defense,” I say looking confidently at Cliff.

Inadvertently I had made Frokabukk angry. When we set up again Cliff had something to prove. He leaped in the air to bring Frokabukk down only to be caught by the Wookiee and tossed aside. To my surprise Cliff got back up and when Frokabukk had moved on to tackle me next he surprised him by jumping on his back. I grabbed Frokabukk by both ankles and together we brought him down. At the end of the play I exchanged high fives with the rookie.

Cliff began to believe in himself again and he finally took Frokabukk down on his own a few times. I knew it had been in him. When Coach came down to the field and watched our drills he told Cliff he had earned a start against Nar Shaddaa. I was so proud when I left the stadium I forgot to tape my ankle. I took the entire defense to dinner to celebrate Cliff’s success. When I got home I figured Lucie and the boys would be asleep. I snuck in Ezra’s room first and kissed his cheek. When I opened T.J.’s door I his data pad was still glowing from under a blanket. “Daddy!” He exclaimed throwing off the blanket.

“You should be asleep,” I scolded gently. “How was your first day at school?” I couldn’t help but ask.

He shrugs, “How was practice?” He wants to know. “Are you ready to crush the Smugglers on Sunday?”

“I was born ready,” I reach out and run my fingers through his hair. “You need to get some sleep. You’re a big boy now with responsibilities. Did you help your mother today?”

I watch as I try to determine if his facial expression is just fatigue or guilt. “I’ll help her tomorrow,” he says.

“I’m counting on you. Now get some sleep Junior.” I kiss his forward and reach over to shut down his data pad. He doesn’t even have the energy to protest as I take it from him. His head hits the pillow and his eyes shut.

Ever since T.J. was born I have slept with one ear open. I listened as Ty’s speeder pulled into the garage and he entered our family home. I heard him briefly speak with T.J. before he entered our bedroom. Ty drops his clothes at the foot of the bed and crawls in next to me. I feel his hand reaching for my thigh. I’m awake, so I move closer. I’m too tired to be an active participant, but I guess one advantage of being a woman is that I don’t have to be.

The next morning I hear Ezra calling me before the sun rises. I get up and look down at my protruding belly. I know there’s a baby in there, but I can’t help it, I feel fat. The good news is that T.J. doesn’t have to get up for school for another hour. I grab Ezra, some snacks and rush outside for a walk. He rides in his stroller and stuffs his face with breakfast. While I enjoy the cool morning air and fool myself into thinking that getting out for a walk will help me get my figure back after the baby comes.

At least I feel better when I get back to the house. I set Ezra in front of the holo and put an educational cartoon on for him to watch. I make breakfast for T.J. and help him pick out clothes for his second day of school. All the while Ty is sleeping upstairs. I can’t bear to wake him to help because I know the season is less than a week away and he needs his rest. I drop T.J. off at school and Ezra at daycare. I head into one of the smaller theaters my family owns and the receptionist nearly spills her caf on herself as she tries to hide the fact that she was reading a message on her personal data pad.

As I walk through the back offices I watch beings tuck in their shirts and straiten their desks. If I didn’t walk through these offices once a week I have no idea how my father’s dreams would survive. I’m here to make sure payroll is up to date and to check on our leading dancers, singers and actors. If you don’t keep them happy the whole production suffers. I round a corner and find a panel of glow panels is out in the next office and no one has bothered to replace them. As I head back to the receptionist to make sure that gets taken care of my unborn baby gives me a jolting kick as if to remind me that I better hurry and get things situated before he or she is ready for their appearance.

I haven’t found out if this one will be a girl or a boy. I’m worried that if I know I’m going to have another boy ahead of time I’ll be disappointed before he even gets here. I don’t want to be disappointed with my own child before he or she is even born. Maybe if it is a boy I’ll be so happy when I see him the first time that I won’t have the same feelings I’ll have if I find out ahead of time. Ty thinks I’m crazy. He thinks we should know, in case it’s a girl, so we can buy the right clothes ahead of time. I’m not worried about that. My brother has two girls and I have a little sister that is only two. Not to mention the fact that we will be showered with gifts. Some from friends and family but many more from unknown strangers.

It makes no sense. Ty and I are the some of the wealthiest people on the planet, perhaps the Galaxy and our fans chose to shower us with gifts. I try to donate as much as possible, but part of me is ridden with guilt as I know the fans want us to have these things. They put time, thought, and funds into these trinkets. Some of them are even hand made.

“Lucie,” I hear a familiar voice that awakens me from my runaway thoughts. “I wondered if you were coming in today. Let me look at you. Someone’s glowing!”

“Bough you are a terrible liar,” I say as I open my arms for a hug from my best friend. After some small talk Bough and I go through all the boring details that involve running this theater and several others on this block. Then we go to lunch. It’s a blessing, I complain about Ty having time for everyone but me. He listens. He tells me about his troubles with his own partner and I laugh at the similarities. All too soon I have to rush off to pick up T.J. from school.

“Yee Oww!” I yell out loud as I stand up for the first time this morning. My ankle is killing me. The first step every morning is always the worst. It’s a good thing Lucie and the boys have already left. I hated trying to explain that he pain wasn’t so bad. And it wasn’t. I slowly walked up and down the hallway to warm up the muscles. Within a few minutes I was ready to tackle the stairs and in about an hour I’d be tackling Whipids, Sullustans and Wookiees.

As I opened the ice box I admired the new artwork that must have come home from Ezra’s daycare. The teacher’s there had printed his name on a glittery collage of, well I wasn’t sure what it was supposed to be, but at least the glitter was orange and blue. T.J.’s holo was on the other door with a banner that said “First Day of School”. He was holding his data pad over his head with a cheesy grin on his face.

My data pad buzzed to let me know that practice was going to start an hour late because Coach was still working with the offense. It was music to my ears. I headed for the basement, to work on a project of my own. On Saturday we were holding a 5th Birthday Party for T.J. Weeks ago I had purchased some fireworks to set off at the party. There was just one problem. I wasn’t sure how to launch them. So I had started building a small table. The plan was to set the table in the middle of the backyard. Light the fireworks and run in the house or out the back gate so we could watch from a safe distance.

Of course there was the small matter of convincing Lucie to allow me to light them at all. When she sees how excited T.J. is about them I can’t imagine it will be a problem.

Sunday Opening Day Financial Square Arena

It’s 5 hours before the game starts and we are already at the stadium. T.J. is in the locker room with his dad while Ezra and I hang out with my sister in law Georgia, her daughters, my little sister, and Justyne’s children. Justyne is doing last minute rehearsals with the dance team. My mom is making sure everything is in place for the players to receive their rings and our championship banner to be revealed before the game. I know I’m blessed to be carrying a baby. I get it lots of beings can’t bear children. But what I want right now is to be down on the field to celebrate with my family.

“Serene give Louise a turn to ride the Speeder,” Georgia calls to her eldest daughter. We are in a nursing room upstairs only a floor beneath our box. The nursing rooms my mom designed make great playrooms for the children when the stadium isn’t open to the public. There are holos so we can play cartoons and plenty of space for everyone to run around before game time. The Speeder Georgia is referring to is a hot pink toy with a motor that all the kids adore.

“Ball,” I hear Ezra say. I turn around just in time for a bolo ball to slam into my stomach.

“Ezra,” I scold. “You’ll hurt the baby. Do not throw anything at the baby. Do you understand?”

I must have been pretty harsh, Ezra begins to cry. During the next several hours there is a lot of crying, yelling and even some vomiting after lunch. Eventually my mom and Justyne come to give Georgia and I a short break. We are both pregnant and we need a lot more than 20 minutes, but we take what we can get. I head to the locker room to wish Ty good luck in his game.

Lucie didn’t let me set off the fireworks last night. I was pretty pissed off at first. She said I was going to blow my eye out or lose a finger before the season started. Instead of getting angry though I allowed her overprotectiveness to give me the most best prank idea I have ever had for opening day. I ran to a little dress boutique down the street from us early this morning and offered them 200 credits for a mannequin arm. The poor woman at the shop was perplexed. She wasn’t sure she could have a mannequin without an arm in her front window, but I raised my price to 300 credits and got my plastic arm.

When I got home I was fortunate enough to have a stock of fake blood. I chopped the fingers off the mannequin hand and drew blood on the hand and arm. I spent the time I should have been going over my play book filling a toy blaster with the fake blood. It was supposed to hold water. I was going to hold it in my hand under the bloody stump of a hand and squirt it at my Coaches and other unsuspecting teammates. I had the whole thing ready to go in my bag as the family got in the speeder to head to the stadium.

Then T.J. wanted to come with me to the locker room. The set up was perfect. I showed T.J. the bloody stump of an arm. “That’s so wizard!” He declared. I instructed T.J. to run in the locker room and say that I was hurt, to call for help.

Junior did just as I asked. Coach came out with a look of great concern, Kaat and Hovechar were on his heals along with several other of my teammates. “What’s wrong?” Coach asked. “T.J. says you’re injured.”

“I wanted show Junior a good time for his birthday,” I explained holding my arm. I had a baggy jacket on and the sleeve pulled down over the fake stump. “I bought some fireworks and I held on too long,” I pull back my sleeve to reveal the stump and pull the trigger on the water blaster. Coach, Hovechar and Kaat get covered in the fake blood. Hovechar screams so loudly I’m surprised the locker room mirrors didn’t shatter.

Kaat jumps on top of me and tackles me to the ground. “If your real fingers are still attached to your body they won’t be for much longer,” she yells as she pries the fake bloody stump from my hand. I quickly realize she isn’t kidding. I feel her fingers wrap around mine and she begins to pull.

“Kaat I need that finger for my championship ring,” I plead. I hear a pop and I fear my finger has been dislocated as Coach separates us.

“Very funny,” Coach says giving me an annoyed look. “Clean up this mess and get your uniform on.”

I look around at my teammates. The hallway is a sight. Fake blood is everywhere. Tomas is looking at me in disbelief. “We will never get these uniforms clean in time,” he says exasperated.

“Can’t we just wear a different set?” I ask.

Tomas explains that these jerseys have a special patch for the 281st Championship Season on the right sleeve. He says they are the only set made up like this and that they were made for this game. In the back of my mind I think this is a huge waste of funds. An entire set of uniforms for one game. There is too much fake blood on Alyada and Kaat’s uniforms for it to be washed out.

“We have to wear a different set,” I say. “I’ll explain it to your mom later. I’m sure she’ll be happy to take the expenses out of my pay.”

Tomas looks at me blankly for a full minute before he runs to get another set of uniforms. Lucie comes to retrieve T.J. “What is all over his clothes?” She wants to know when she sees the stains.

My teammates and I change into the uniforms Tomas brings. We begin to line up in the tunnel outside the locker room. Mrs. Till comes holding the box of rings. She gives me a look, but it doesn’t scare me. I’m already married to her daughter, she can’t take that away.

The announcer’s voice fills the stadium followed by the deafening cheers of our home crowd. As one our team runs out onto the field. I’m excited to be back on the turf again. My adrenaline is pumping. I don’t even want to bother with the formality of collecting my ring. As I pass Mrs. Till I hear my name announced. The crowd is on their feet cheering my name. I grab the box and peak inside. My box is empty. I have to toss it into another box that Tomas is holding to retrieve after the game. Maybe all the boxes are empty. Maybe this is just a formality. I have my doubts. We were supposed to see those rings for the first time before the game to inspire us to win another. My box is empty because they want to get me back for the prank before the game.

No time to ponder that now. We huddle up as a team. “Just like last season,” I declare.

Coach shakes his head, “One game at a time. Win tonight.” He says.

On three we all say “Win” and break. I lead my teammates out on the field. When I get to my position I look up at the Vigo family box and blow my family a kiss. After that I focus downfield at my opponents. It’s time to play Limmie.

Tag: Vehn

Trieste, Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Miners to start Seemee Plabol at right half forward with intention to sub in Morgan Alesh during season opener against Mando'ade Mercs
      • Head coach Gaeriel Valerii says there are no health concerns at play
    • ELL announces Commissioner's schedule for 282:
      • Week 1: Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Ralltiir Starkillers
      • Week 2: Bakura Miners at Stewjon Metropolitans
      • Week 3: Kashyyyk Rangers at Mando’ade Mercs
      • Week 4: Chandrila Patriots at Rydonni Prime Monarchs
      • Week 5: Ralltiir Starkillers at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers
      • Week 6: Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Denon Demons
      • Week 7: Carratos Pirates at Coruscant Senators
      • Week 8: Kashyyyk Rangers at Carratos Pirates
      • Week 9: Coruscant Senators at Chandrila Patriots
      • Week 10: Mando’ade Mercs at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
      • Week 11: Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Kashyyyk Rangers
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! from downtown Keldabe, on a cold and rainy, Taungsday afternoon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a big show for you."

"Exciting times ahead, limmie is right around the corner!"

"Hell yeah baby! After months of talking about it, after weeks and weeks of a grueling training camp, and those couple of days where radical realignment seemed a certainty..."

"Still can't believe the league was even considering contraction, they have to be raking in cash hand over fist!"

"...the Mercs are ready to start the 282 campaign and wipe away the bad taste left in everyone's mouth after last season."

"I think that's the crow you had to eat after the Starkillers won the Cup."

"That was...OK I was wrong on that, but I was talking about the way the Mercs season ended."

"That was bad, really bad..."

"Started out so exciting, so awesome, and then the Mercs completely folded down the stretch..."

"Injuries man, they will kill a team, even a great one."

"...but that was last season, and this is a new one. Everyone is tied for first, and while that won't last long, every team in the league has reason to be excited, reason to think that this will be their year."

"It is exciting, but I'm not going to lie, it is going to be a tough haul for the Mercs to get to the playoffs this season."

"What're you talking about? they had the best offense in the league last season, and lost no starting forwards..."

"Carrying that over from year to year is tough Randy, but I am far more worried about the defense. Lots of young starters this time out. From Crusader's call up Kol at halfback to first round draft pick Roc Mynus starting at cornerback..."

"The Mercs need to solidify that spot, they keep taking corners in the draft and none have worked out."

"Well I thought Smalls might have a chance to beat him out in training camp, but Mynus is pretty strong, he just outmuscled, but didn't outhustle, Smalls."

"OK, OK. So the defense is going to have problems, but is that going to keep them out of the playoffs again?"

"Defense wins championships Randy..."

"But that offense!"

"Is going to have to win a bunch of 36-29 games I think in roder to get the Mercs to the post season."

"OK. OK. Thanks Mr. Magazine is half full, what are your predictions for the season?"

"BlasTech predictions sure to go wrong. When things go wrong don't you want a BlasTech by your side? BlasTech."

"I...well where do you want me to start?"

"Start at home with the Skywalker, you already said you don;t think the Mercs make the playoffs..."

"I never said that."

"You said..."

"That it would be a tough haul, and it will be. I think their season goes down to the wire and that last game will determine against the Pirates will determine who stays home and who plays on."

"The Pirates?"

"They are an up and coming team, remember just a few season's ago they had the league by the gett'se, I think the winner of that last game of the season takes the three seed in the conference."

"OK, OK. And who else makes the playoffs?"

"I think the C-Bucs slide back to the pack a little, last season was a great one for them, but losing the Cup like that has to take some of the wind out of their sails."

"Pun intended?"

"What pun?"

"And that's why you don;t send your kids to Ord Sabaok ladies and gentlebeings."

"The Ord Sabaok University."

"Whatever. OK, so C-Bucs slide but still make the playoffs..."

"Yeah, I mean they are demoralized sure, but still hungry. Them making the post season is a pretty safe bet..."

"And your top team?"

"You're going to hate me..."

"Oh no."

"The listeners are going to hate me..."

"shab."

"But I have to go with the Smugglers. They have a down year every now and again, but are still the class of the conference. They made the playoffs in convincing fashion last season, and their previous off season's moves garnered them the first pick in the draft.."

"Which they spent on a hell of a defender from KMI."

"...so I have them not only winning the conference, but the Commissioner's trophy as well."

"shab."

"Yeah."

"OK...and at the bottom of the conference, the Patriots and Mets?"

"Yeah, I have to think that after last season the Pats come into this one a little bit deflated..."

"That never gets old."

"What?"

"Nevermind."

"As for the Mets, I am having a hard time getting a handle on them. they are either going to be amazin' or a mess."

"Which means they will be middle of the pack."

"Well these are predictions sure to go wrong."

"BlasTech predictions sure to go wrong. When things go wrong don't you want a BlasTech by your side? BlasTech."

"OK, OK. So what about the Solo, the conference some in the media call the "senior circuit?"

"Look for the Senators to celebrate their return after a one year run in the Skywalker with the top seed in the Solo..."

"That should increase their value."

"Yeah no kidding. The Miners look like a safe bet for the two seed there, they always seem to have a good year..."

"Yeah they do. But what about the defending Champs, the Starkillers? You don't have them missing out on the playoffs do you?"

"No, I mean most Galactic Cup champions suffer a let down season following their title, but I see them backing into the playoffs once again, just ahead of the Monarchs."

"Well if they do that, I won't be picking against them again!"

"They really did seem to turn it on in the playoffs, like flipping a switch."

"So it seems like you have the Demons and Rangers fighting it out for last place?"

"I do, not participating in the draft really hurts those teams I think, and I can't understand why they don't try to improve themselves there..."

several hours later

"OK, thanks for that Cloning Around from Kyrimorut... Now we go to FettFan from Concord Dawn, what'ya got FettFan?"

"Thanks for taking my call, love the show."

"Thanks, we love ya too. Now what's on your mind?"

"Well Justin was talking earlier about how young the defense is going to be, and I was wondering if that couldn't have been mitigated by keeping Ciegarth there in the starting lineup over Riian?"

"That's...a good question. Justin?"

"It's... It is actually a good question, and Head Coach Ryi Kor'le as well as defensive co-ordinator K'Karlsson made it clear that all those halfback spots were up for grabs at the start of camp. Riian took that challenge and ran with it..."

"Grabbed it more likely, that guys seems all hands."

"He is a very physical back, which might be another point in his favor. K'Karlsson seems to be emphsizing a strong, physical defensive philosophy that emphasizes tackling and forcing turnovers as opposed to be faster than opposing offenses. That's why you saw the slower, but bigger Riian get the nod over the faster, but still pretty hard hitting, Ciegarth."

"You also have Kol starting opposite Riian... Oh and thanks for calling FettFan, that's a great point.... Now that's two rookies out there at halfback. We ended up bringing back Doubleday, you think there was any thought to him starting over Kol?"

"Well, the coaching staff said all those spots were going to be decided by open competition, but we all know Kol was brought up to start. She would have been better off developing down at Concordia rather than sitting the veshok even at the ELL level. I think doubleday signed back here knowing that."

"You think so?"

"Yeah, probably. He didn't seem to get much attention out there on the open market, so coming back with a guaranteed job, even if it was backing up a rookie, probably seemed like a good deal to him."

"At least he didn't end up with the Mets."

"Yeah, no kidding."

"OK, next caller we have is Wrenegade, from Lothal. How's it going Wrenegade?"

TAG: No one. Good luck to all everyone in the new season!

Vehn, jcgoble3, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Training Camp

Rowdy’s first training camp with an Elite League franchise was just a few hours old, and yet she already felt a complete rush. The sights and sounds of 60-plus players fighting things out for roster spots was a big deal for her, and she would have a lot of competition. But she wouldn’t stop fighting; she wasn’t here to quit or roll over. She had promised herself that she would do a good job here and make it to the big time. That dream wasn’t going to die, not on her watch.

Her invitation to training camp had been as a member of the Thyferra Force. Invites like that got one to camp, especially since she didn’t have any more contract to lean on like other players did. But it also meant that she would have to fight things out with other Force-bound players to try and crack the Senator roster. While the first few days of the camp session included all players from both teams, mostly calisthenics and individual exercises that tested dexterity and agility, now it was the first day of the team rosters being separated. As a Force player for all intents and purposes here, Rowdy would be taking on other players with her same designation. All the draft picks except for Aaltoides Minte were in her group of players, Minte having earned his invite to Senator camp across the facility field from where Rowdy and the other Force players were. If a player got ‘promoted’ from the Force to the Senators during camp training, they would simply jog across the field to the other camp and get inserted in team drills; likewise, getting ‘demoted’ from the Senators meant a long walk to the other side of the field, usually more of a trudge given that it was a demotion from Elite League roster to Futures League, a big step down. No one wanted to make that walk, even if you had little chance of making the Senator roster anyways.

Rowdy was playing as a half back, trying to make the Force roster as a starter. She had to fight for playing time with the likes of Lomgat Vu, the longtime Force defender, Conar Kraft, and Walter Paitone, all three of them owning a bit of Elite League experience. Vu had once played in goal with the Senators as an emergency backup in 279, Kraft had come over two seasons prior from Hapes, and Paitone had been an undrafted rookie free agent who had finally made the big time last season as an injury replacement. All three of those players had the edge on her, and even the reserve half backs had an advantage. It would be difficult to get a starting nod here, a roster spot on the Senators nearly impossible given that she had just learned how to play Limmie the prior year. Or, she knew how to play, but knowing how to play and actually playing it well were two separate things. So it would be a long uphill climb.

The drill she found herself on was a one-on-one drill between forwards and defenders. As a half back, Rowdy had been assigned to square off against second round pick Hela Montego. The red-skinned Twi’lek with the plethora of tattoos didn’t seem perturbed by Rowdy on first glance, and the former fighter wanted to try and see if she could make Montego slip. After all, Rowdy saw the Twi’lek as an enigma, a player she wanted to get in the head of and force her to make a mistake. Down on Bessimir, Rowdy’s style of play and reputation had helped immensely. Now she had a chance to start that process over again and strike some fear in other players. She wasn’t here to take it easy on anyone, even if they ended up playing on the same team later on.

As soon as the drill started, Montego took off to the right corner of the field. A three-on-three situation was present here, but Rowdy just had to worry about her matchup. Scoring a goal or making a stop wasn’t as important in this drill as it was to either keep the flow of a play going as a forward or to play good defense as a defender. Hyde Los, a half forward, and Kran Borgas were the other two forwards here, and Rowdy was joined by Conar Kraft and Karin Cherf, a corner back who was seeing reps here as a veteran defender more than just as a positional matchup.

Rowdy kept with Montego on the first move. She stared into Montego’s eyes, the two of them locking a gaze for a few moments before Montego backed up. Rowdy kept on her. “You’ve gotta do more than that,” Rowdy taunted. She was all over the Twi’lek the next play, using her hands to cover Montego and swatting the ball away.

“Not in my house,” the fighter said to Montego, wagging her finger at the Twi’lek. Montego didn’t pay any attention to Rowdy, though, so she was going to be a tough nut to crack. But Rowdy would find a way; she always did.

Montego got the ball and tried to move, but Rowdy took her down with a nice form tackle. She had worked very hard to learn how to tackle using her shoulder, since in the ring you did whatever you could to bring down an opponent. Technique wasn’t always as important as speed there, so this would be different. “Honestly, you call yourself a forward? You’re making it easy for me,” Rowdy commented as she got up from the ground.

Minutes later, she got in Montego’s grill again on a tight play, and slapped the ball away from the forward’s grasp. The ball skittered to the turf. “You know, for having all those tough girl tattoos on your arms and all that, you certainly don’t seem so tough to me,” Rowdy said. Montego still said nothing; the same look of determination was on her face no matter what Rowdy said or did. So it meant that things needed to be ramped up even more.

Things were going well for Rowdy as she neared the end of the drill. She was holding her own against Montego, and it was boosting her confidence. With every boost to her confidence with a nice play, she kept jabbering at her matchup. “Come on, you can do better than that,” she taunted at one point. Or, “You picked one hell of a bad matchup, pal. I don’t go down lightly.” Still, Montego didn’t say anything.

Finally it was down to one of the last few reps in the practice set. Montego made the same move to the corner, and Rowdy, already knowing what to do, simply stepped in front of the pass and picked it off. “Woo!” Rowdy yelled as she threw the ball back to the coach running the drill to get things reset. Then she turned to Montego. “You know, I really think that the whole tattoo thing is really because you’re weak. You’re like all the opponents in the ring. You may have a lot of talk, a lot of fancy glitz and all that crap, but you’re all the same. You’re pathetic. The deepest depths of Hell are reserved for those types who talk big but can’t perform on the field, and that’s what you are. You just look like you come from Hell to scare me, with all the tattoos and all that, but . . .”

Rowdy had never expected it, but she immediately found herself landing hard on the ground. Montego had leapt at her and brought her down with a very strong submission move, something that stunned Rowdy. Then the Twi’lek grabbed Rowdy by the throat, and Montego glared into Rowdy’s eyes as she pinned the fighter’s arm around to her side, just like a fighting move in the ring. The drill stopped when the coaches saw this, but no one could quite comprehend it.

“You know nothing of hell. Nothing,” Montego said in a very cold voice.

Then she let go of Rowdy’s throat and stalked away, leaving Rowdy to get herself off the ground. Everyone had stopped to see what Montego had done, and now everyone was leaving her alone as she went to get a towel from the towel table. The drill was over now, and Rowdy sat there in complete disbelief. Montego had known how to bring Rowdy Roosey down; that had never happened since her early days in training at the fighting gym, back when she was still learning how to do mixed combat fighting. But the Twi’lek had done it so forcefully, and with such ease, that it almost seemed natural to her.

Somehow, Rowdy had been defeated. And it was a stunning feeling, so much so that Rowdy wasn’t quite the same the rest of the day. She did her workouts, but didn’t say much after that. Hela Montego had one-upped the cocky fighter, and that was too much for Rowdy to understand.

She had been beaten.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Coruscant Senators reach agreement with star Full Forward Leia Adama. New deal is for 4 years
    • Adama: "I am glad to be back with the Senators"
    • Briar Thorne, Senator GM: "We are pleased to have Ms. Adama back with the organization"
    TAG: Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny likes this.
  21. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Tian “Sweet Cake” Huo
    Tian’s Apartment, O’phaz, Carratos

Tian’s eyes go wide looking at the release from HSN, Rime, Vayan, Rhodri all gone in one fell swoop. She then felt a weight on her shoulders. She was now a starter, there was no one else. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach. A weak warbling laugh escaped her mouth.

“You still there Sweet Cake?” Jennas asked leaning forward a hint of worry in his voice.

“Uhh…”she started “Yeah,”

“You ok, you went really quiet.”

“It’s just a lot to take in.”

“Don’t worry I’m sure Schnitt will get someone to fill those positions, the free agent list if full of forwards.”

Tian furrowed her brow, “You don’t think I can do this?” she said a little incredulous.

“No Sweet Cake, please don’t misunderstand, I just don’t think you’re ready to handle the weight of playing a full sixty minutes with no backup for eleven games. That’s an enormous strain you’d be taking on Sweet Cake.”

The young Pantoran set her jaw feeling an angry warmth in her heart. “I can do this Jennas, Logan played every game for three years without being subbed out.”

“He was Logan Manx, Sweet Cake, the best forward Carratos had to offer.”

“And you don’t think I’m on his level.” Her voice carried pain, realizing that the closest thing she had to a father didn’t believe in her.

“Sweet Cake,” Jennas said lowing and softening his voice, “The man won a Salbukk, that is not a participation prize. If he could have continued playing his name would be mentioned in the same breath as Glencross.”

Tian looked away squishing her face a little, “You give him too much credit. A bit of practice and I can be that good.”

“That’ll have to be an awful lot of practice.” Jennas sighed heavily, “Sweet Cake, I worry about you, this sport can be rough and I’d hate to see you hurt.”

She took a deep breath and stood at her full height, “I’d best get started practicing then.” She turned off the holo-projector and rushed off to her bedroom. She threw some clothes into a gym bag and stormed out of her apartment. Her commlink buzzed, it was Jennas. She kept her head down and headed straight to the gym just around the corner from her apartment building.

Wild Nex opened her eyes to a still dark room. Looking around it seemed to be her room but, things had been moved around, again. The chrono was on the night stand, not on the dresser across the room. Also the alarm was active. She never needed an alarm, she woke up when she woke up. Hanging her legs off the edge of the bed, all her muscles felt sore, like she’d worked out recently. She couldn’t recall doing that, but she couldn’t deny the feeling.

She wandered over to the ‘fresher and clicked on the lights. She squinted her eyes against the harsh light. After a moment her eyes adjusted, and she could see she was wearing pink pajamas. Why was she always wearing pink pajamas? She hated that color, yet every now and again she came to wearing pink. Then there were the times she awoke in the middle of a limmie game, those days were fun. She’d have no idea what was going on but, the tasks were easy enough score and crush anyone in her way.

Wild Nex opened the cabinet behind the mirror and pulled down a bottle of NSAIDs. She popped a few pills into her mouth and took a small sip of water to help them on their way down. They wouldn’t take away the pain but they would take the edge off, hopefully enough for her to fight.

Even now she could feel her anger rising. She never knew why but, it seemed even breathing made her angry. When she was younger she’d lash out at the people around her, until she found that was a punishable offense.

She learned to suppress that urge, the urge to yell and hit, to rent violence onto another person. She started channeling her want into punching inanimate objects, which most people didn’t seem to mind until she put fist sized holes in to walls.

Jennas, the Besalisk that helped raise her, started taking her to a gym with punching bags. The young Pantoran would spend hours just wailing on the bag until all of her aggression had been poured out. Over time some of the other ‘Gym Rats’, as Jennas called them, showed her how to punch more effectively, teaching her how to start with her feet, and to put her weight behind each punch.

As she grew older she started going down the gym alone learning more things like kicking and grappling. Her natural aggression caught the eye of a headhunter for the O’Pahz fighting circuit, which everyone knows is unsanctioned and wholly illegal but, no one does anything about because, it’s great entertainment.

Wild Nex like the idea of getting to beat on living breathing beings, it sounded like a challenge. After the first two or three bouts where she got knocked out by much more experienced fighters, she started winning, mostly by burring her opponents under a hail of fast punches and kicks. That’s how she got the name Wild Nex. Ever since then, whenever she’d wake up she’d check the circuit see if any slots were available for that night.

This night was no different, she grabbed her bag and headed to Mac’s, an old bar that ran most of the sports betting and was the unofficial headquarters of the fighting circuit. At the edge of the bar was a bulky Barabel, he smirked when he saw Wild Nex. As she approached he handed her a piece of flash flimsi.

“There’z a slot open for you. This one hasn’t seen you around recently, are you fighting somewhere else?”

“This is the only place for me Ragath, I wouldn’t cheat on you.”

“That’z good to hear, this one would hate to have to hunt you down.”

She narrowed her eyes at the reptile. “Just try it, scale face.”

The smirk deepened on his face, a chuckle slipped between his sharp teeth. “Good, this one likez when you fight angry, makez thingz interesting.”

“When don’t I fight angry,”

Another chuckle, “That’z why this one likez you, you’re alwayz interesting.” He ran his tongue over his teeth, a wanting look in his eyes.

Wild Nex tilted her head, “In your dreams ugly.”

Ragath held his smile, as she walked away. On the flimsi was an address, the fights moved around to different places to keep the OSF guessing. Not that it was really necessary. She’d seen plenty of Seccers at the fights before, both as spectators and participants. She took a cab to a nondescript bar across town.

Inside she spotted member of the Novae a rival gang to the Star Dragons that hosted the fights. It is said the fights started as a way to settle disputes without starting a full war. The Human female with a white diamond tattooed around her left eye jerked her head towards a door leading to the back room. The back room was small, too small to host a fight. The Nova pushed a shelf aside to reveal an entrance built into the floor.

Wild Nex smiled, it was always something, be it a secret door behind a bookcase or a hatch hidden under a rug, the places she went to could always access the subterranean tunnels that crisscross this city.

The Nova acted as a silent guide taking her to where she wanted. Wild Nex knew they were close when she heard the shouts of beings calling for blood. Other sensations joined the sound, the heat of many bodies packed into one space, the smell of sweat and blood. Before entering the main fighting hall, her guide stopped her,

“Fighter right?” the guide asked, Wild Nex nodded her head, “You can get changed over there,” she pointed down another tunnel that seemed to have more rooms attached to it. Wild Nex followed the direction and found what served as a locker room. She got changed and began taping up her hands.

She was a striker, preferring to work more standing than on the ground. As she wrapped the white tape around her hand the anger grew, it was like a flooding river uncontained by levies. Putting on her gloves she walked back into the main hall, as the last fight wrapped up, the loser being dragged back to their corner.

At the edge of the ring she spotted a giant Kerestian, everyone here called him Beast. He used to fight a lot a two or three years back, but stopped, mostly because no one was dumb enough to fight him anymore. He smiled a bit as she approached.

“Hey Tian,”

Wild Nex squished her face, “Why do you keep calling me that Beast,”

“Oh,” he said looking away, “sorry Wild Nex,” there was another pause, “This your last fight before the limmie season starts?”

She thought about it for a moment. She tended to not fight as much during the limmie season, mostly due to her getting her aggression out on the practice field, when she woke up. “Maybe,” She slammed her knuckles together as an ‘Official’ approached.

“Ragath gave me a heads up,” the broad-shouldered Zabrak said, a prominent white diamond tattooed on his neck. “You’re up next Wild Nex, try and make this one last more than a minute alright.”

She smiled and slammed her gloves one more time, “No promises.” A minute or so pass while the ring is cleaned and then Wild Nex enters, opposite her is a Cathar.

“In the black corner,” the announcer started, “hailing from right here in O’Pahz, the Pantoran Pugilist, the Blue Skinned Brawler, Wild Nex.” She threw her fists up as the crowd cheered her name.

“In the white corner, from Vi’tal, the Commonwealth Comet, the Feline Fighter, Blood Hunter.” The other female fighter put up her fists. With the introductions over the two beings moved to the center of the ring where they were met by the Ref, who was really only there to make sure the fight was interesting and no one died.

He turned his gaze to Blood Hunter first, “No slashing alright,” she nodded, he turned to Wild Nex, “When I say stop, could you stop in a reasonable amount of time.” She nodded to the Ref. “Alright, let’s go,” he swept his hand in front of them and stepped back.

Wild Nex instantly delivered a jab to her opponent’s face. It was blocked but was followed up with a low kick to the knee and a right hook into the ribs. Hunter was pushed closer and closer to the wall. The Cathar tried to plant a shove kick into Nex’s abdomen but, she turned to the side and put a right cross to the jaw. Another step closer and Nex pounded Hunter in the stomach with her left fist driving the fight right to the flexible enclosure.

Up against the wall the fight entered its final stage, with Wild Nex pummeling Blood Hunter with both fists. Hunter got a few hard hits in, mostly to the chest but, one came up and caught Nex under the eye. She could feel the area swelling, it just made her angry, stepping up the ferocity of the attacks.

Hunter tried to clinch with Nex hoping to take the fight to the ground. Nex answered with a swift knee to the gut and a hard shove into the wall. In pain from the broken clinch Hunter failed to put up her defense in time to stop Nex’s left fist striking her on the chin. The Cathar’s head snapped to the right then back forward in a violent motion that obviously rattled her.

More punches landed on Hunter’s head, with each one Nex’s rage became a little less. This continued until the Ref called for Wild Nex to stop, which she did, after about four more punches, releasing the last of her anger. She stepped away as Blood Hunter struggled to stay on her feet. The Cathar took a few wobbly steps then crumpled to the ground.

Wild Nex raised her arms in victory as Blood Hunter was declared knocked out. The fight took all of forty seconds. As she exited the cage the Zabrak leaned over to her.

“You just cost me 200 credits Wild Nex,” he said shouting over the crowd, “You couldn’t have waited twenty more seconds before knocking the poor girl out?”

“I don’t like to prolong the inevitable.” She shouted back. She descended from the raised platform and headed back to the ‘Locker Room’. On her way she stopped by the betting window to collect her winnings. She didn’t bet on herself but, each fight has a winner take all purse. This win didn’t gain her much but, for her in was never really about the money, it was all about the fighting. Recently as her strength has increased the fights have become easier, leaving her with left over rage some nights that she has to work out by training.

“Under a minute again Wild Nex,” the Jenet male behind the desk said, “You cost some beings a lot of money, though honestly the odds were always on you finishing quick.”

“What were my odds in the fight?”

“Oh… you were always the heavy favorite, from the second your name was announced pretty much everyone knew you were going to win, so the boss,” he gestured with his thumb behind him, “told our odds beings to put odds on whether or not you knock out Blood Hunter in under a minute. They were much more… even, got more beings betting on an otherwise boring fight.” The Jenet slid a pouch of credits her direction. As she went to pick it up, the other being leaned in closer, “You signed up for the Tournament yet?”

Wild Nex gave a quizzical look, “Sign up for what now.”

The shorter being smiled, “You haven’t heard huh. Well people are calling it different things, like the Gauntlet, the Fight-offs, the Bowl of Blood, or the Fighters Challenge. Anyway somebody somewhere decided to hold a tournament to showcase all the best fighters in the galaxy.”

“How does somebody do that,” She replied laughing a bit at the impossibility of it all.

“By offering a ton of money, for each fight the winner takes home a quarter of a million credits, and if they make it to the final round and win, the purse is ten million.”

Nex’s struggled very hard not to let her mouth hang open. That was a truly astronomical amount of money for an underground fighting tournament. “What’s the catch, am I going to be going up against Wookiees and being twice to three times my size, if so, I’m out. I’m tough, not that tough.”

“No, no one wants to see a one sided fight, no one bets on those. For Humans and Near-Humans, like you, it’s divided into male and female groups, which are divided into weight classes. For Near-Human females, there are four weight classes Mynockweight, Jawaweight, Aleenaweight, Chardraweight.”

“Where would I fall?”

He took a step back, sizing her up, “You’d have to do an official weigh in but, I’d say Aleenaweight, maybe lower ranks of Chardraweight.”

She thought about it for a moment, “This sounds like a legit fighting tournament, why are they holding it in an underground fighting circuit?”

“Betting’s bigger underground, less rules, maybe they just like the atmosphere but someone is spending serious bank to make this happen, and your name is on everyone’s lips. My boss already has the odds beings working on your chances of winning the whole thing.”

“And what are my odds?”

“Above average but, the fighter list hasn’t been confirmed yet. There’s still two weeks left before the cutoff date.”

“How long does it run?”

“Depends on the number of fighters, right now we’re looking at nine weeks with each fighter fighting once a week.”

“I’d suggest against it Wild Nex,” Beast said walking up behind. “You’ve got other things going on during that time.”

“What other things?” She said looking up at him.

“Limmie season starts in two weeks.”

“Wait you play limmie too?” the Jenet asked,

“No I don’t Beast is just a little confused.” The large Kerestian crossed his arms.

“Well,” the rat faced being continued, “are you in?”

“Give me some time to think about it.”

“Alright two weeks, remember.”

“Got it,”

Tian sat in the locker room after a long practice, she pushed herself as hard as she could, pushing past the near constant soreness she felt this week. Coach Lopaki walked amongst them looking like he hadn’t shaved in a while.

“That was a good practice, you’re really stepping it up out there.” He started, “Season starts in one week with a home game against the Monarchs I want us to be ready for that. Alright defense come with me we will select the starters for that game, offense I leave you with Logan to finalize the strategy. Tian’s attention turned to the man sitting in a hoverchair next to the coach Logan Manx, well now it was Manx-Sandin. His hear was still long and his upper body still looked fit enough to play limmie but, his legs told a different story. Even in his baggy pants you could tell the atrophy had set in. On his left hand a wedding ring that looked silver but, was actually an alloy of two metals, a symbol of two things coming together to make a stronger whole. As the defense filed out he gave a nod to his wife. They had done a good job of keeping professional while working, but they still stole glances here and there.

The offense gathered around him as he set a datapad on his lap.

“Alright, we all know what we’re doing.” He said looking across the players.

“Yep,” Leigh was the first to speak up, “I play closer to the net looking to smash in from the right, or take the bar point.”

“I hang back,” Else said, “look for passing lanes to the forwards or my linemates. If the opportunity presents itself come in close for a long kick at the goal looking for a rebound or score.”

“I’m at medium distance providing options for the forwards and Else.” Seiji replied finishing the half forwards.

“I’m up close,” Nara picked up, “I just outside the goalie box, looking for a rebound or setting up a play.”

“I’m,” Opechan said looking a little nervous, “I’m hanging back looking to setup or finish plays from the center.” All eyes fell on Tian.

She sighed a little, “I’m at medium distance keeping the right side open.” Her job was nothing more than giving Leigh a clear lane to charge down. Logan didn’t trust her to keep her temper under control in the thick of things. This didn’t make her angry just made her more determined to show him she could do this.

“Now remember,” Logan cut in, “these aren’t set in stone, if you have a chance to score take it, this isn’t the ‘Iron Cage’ any more, we aren’t shackled these spots, move around open up the field, keep the play moving.”

“Do we have a name for this yet?” Leigh asked,

Logan raised an eyebrow, “Coach Copin was the naming things guy, and this was made to play to each of your strengths not some overarching strategy. And I could change it at any time if it’s not going well, so it’s rather fluid.”

“So it’s TBD?” Seiji piped up,

“What,”

“TBD, To Be Decided,”

“Sure we’ll go with that.” He looked around Tian, “Seems the defense is coming back, time to pack it in.” The offensive starters rose causing Logan to look up at them. “Go home get some rest, we’ve got a long week ahead of us.”

The players nodded their heads and returned to their stalls. Coach Lopaki returned with the defense and dismissed the team. Tian headed to the gym near her house, she needed to get stronger, needed to get better, needed to prove to Logan, to Jennas, to herself, that she could do this.

Wild Nex woke up still sore but, feeling stronger. She took more NSAIDs changed out of the pink pajamas she always woke up in and headed to Mac’s. Again Ragath gave her a location but, told her there were no open slots that night.

It didn’t matter she wasn’t looking to fight, well she was but she’d set her sights on a different target. She’d been thinking about the Tournament, the money was huge but, the challenge intrigued her as well, best fighters from around the galaxy would be participating. This was a good chance to see how she stacks up.

She approached the Jenet that offered her the spot,

“You come to bet on a fight?” he asked,

“Nope, sign me up for the Gauntlet.”

The being behind the counter, smiled, “you just made me 100 credits, I knew you’d come back.”

“When’s the first fight?” she asked leaning in,

“Two days, the night before the Pirates season opener, can you make it?”

“Count me in,”

He smiled again and tapped a few times on his datapad. “You’re in better start training; this isn’t going to be a cakewalk.” She nodded her head and headed back out, Her mind focused on one thing getting ready for that fight.

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008

A day had passed since Rowdy had been served a walloping at the hands of Hela Montego, and the defensive back/utility player/whatever she was former fighter star was still stunned by what had happened. Not only had the Twi’lek forward thrown her down in a textbook fashion, like the beating all of Rowdy’s opponents got in the ring, but she had done it so easily. Montego obviously knew something that Rowdy didn’t, and it had cost her. And she intended to find out why.

At lunch that day, the team was eating at different places on the field. Many of the Senator veterans were hanging out together, Christine Gamble and the recently re-signed captain Leia Adama in one group, and many of the other players scattered around the field. Even many of the Force players were together.

But one individual was not. Hela Montego sat alone, about as far out as one could be from the rest. She didn’t look interested in fraternizing with others, just content being by herself. Rowdy took her food and looked around; she probably hadn’t made any friends here. She was fine with that, sure, but she also had to know something. And that would require going back to Montego, which could be a scary proposition. If the Twi’lek knew how to fight, then Rowdy was likely going to be in a big rumble at some point. This was training camp; despite Rowdy wanting to fight and scrap, this was probably not the best venue. After all, with the coaches and front office personnel watching, it was smart to not get yourself marked down for being a complete headcase.

Rowdy finally walked over to Montego. The Twi’lek didn’t look up at her for a while, but once she did, that same cold glare bore into Rowdy’s eyes. Montego got up to move.

“Hey, I just want to talk,” Rowdy said.

“Frak off,” Montego said. She got up from her seat.

“I want to know where you learned that submission move.”

Montego said nothing. She just took a step forward. Obviously, she was not in a talkative mood.

“Come on, just tell me. Where did you learn that move? I’ve never met someone who could best me at fighting . . . how . . .?”

“You will find that when you live on the edge, with your very survival at stake, that you need to learn these things, or else,” Montego finally said, her back to Rowdy. Then she turned around. “You want to know where I learned that move?” Rowdy just nodded.

“As a young girl, my life was good,” Montego started. “My parents loved me, and things were good. But . . . when I was seven, slavers came knocking . . . they took down the door, and they kidnapped me . . . they killed my mother . . . I can still remember her screams piercing through my ears, sometimes every night . . . and I don’t know what happened to my father, but I never saw him again . . .

All of innocence, all of my childhood, it was gone. I would go with my parents to the lake nearby our home, and play in the fields. Everything was good . . . things were nice, and I thought that those days would never end. But they did, in as cruel a way as they could be taken from me. I couldn’t stop thinking of my mother’s murder in cold blood . . . what they were after, I do not know . . . but she resisted . . . resisted to protect me. And she sacrificed herself for me, and it did not work. My father tried to flee with me, tried to get me to safety, but it was not enough. The slavers took him, and . . . that was it.

As a slave, I was sold into bondage at that age, and was shipped off to Raxus Prime to last long enough to be of use. Forced to work for a master who was cruel as could be, from a young age I was forced to do chores and keep things cleaned. When I refused to work, I was beaten. At an older age . . . I was forced to give my services to my master or to his clients . . . those were terrible times . . . I had to cry myself to sleep at night. When I refused to do as I was ordered, I would be beaten . . . sometimes, after men finished their conquest, they branded me with their own marks . . .” She lifted up part of her uniform to show off her chest, which was covered in black ink. “Many of these are brand marks, permanent reminders of what I was forced to undergo against my will . . . things no being should ever be forced to go through.

So I finally told myself that I had to quit my crying. I had to get tougher, had to learn how to be stronger. I already had to scrap to live on Raxus Prime . . . that junk world is unforgiving, and the weak don’t survive long. But I did, because I learned how to fight back. I found a voice, and no matter how many times I was branded or beaten, I kept being defiant. On the side, I began to fight in underground circuits, very illegal fights. No one knew I was a slave, but they soon knew that I was a fighter. To make myself scarier, I branded my own tattoos on my body; my mother told me that my body should be my most prized possession, but I had to do it. I beat all comers, and I finally made enough money to purchase my freedom.

Then, I went to a planet as far away from prying eyes as possible. I went to Nar Shaddaa . . . went to Nar Shaddaa to die. I didn’t see much in living anymore, because I knew that I was never going to be normal. There was too much trauma in my life to see any happiness. I thought that the junk piles of Nar Shaddaa would be my death place, not the trash of Raxus Prime. The darkness of that world was a perfect place for my despair, a perfect place to die. Die as someone with no name, no identity, and nothing more to live for. Die amongst the trash heaps, and be lost to the galaxy . . . die cold and alone, as anonymous and terrible a death as can be. But that was going to happen to me, and I awaited its coming.

And that’s when the Valor Foundation found me. I was too old for their programs, at 19 years of age, but when they found me playing a ball sport with other junkers . . . they took me in. I had to lie to be admitted to their program, but . . . they saved me. With their help, I was able to start an education . . . they taught me to read and write, at least a little. And, when the scouts from Vertical City University came to see who they could pick up on scholarship, they found me . . . I am forever indebted to them. VCU proved to me that I could be someone in this galaxy, that I could write my own ending. That a former slave girl who had undergone so many horrors could make good.

In college, I was a hard sell. My fighting skills got me reprimanded many times, and I clashed with teammates. But my talents were there, and the coaches kept me on. They got my head on straight that first year, told me that I was not fighting for survival anymore. That I could be a better being than what I was. So I pulled myself out of the gutter and began to work harder. Not just in the gym, but in the classroom. I forced myself to care about school and to get a degree. I earned my education the hard way, but I did it.

And now I am here, talking to you, and egotistical schutta who doesn’t think of anything but her own pride. You have no idea of what depths of Hell there can be in one’s life, and you will never understand what real work is.”

“What I saw yesterday was a good fighter,” Rowdy commented. “I’ve never been taken down that easily, not in years. Trained fighters can’t take me down, but you did . . . and I want to know how you learned that.”

“When you scrap for survival on a hell-hole like Raxus Prime, you need to learn how to fight to survive. Nothing is for free on the junk piles, and you have to work your ass off to live. So I lived and I learned, and I took your sorry ass down where it needed to be. You may think your skills are so good, but you would not last five minutes on Raxus Prime. You could never understand what true desperation does to a being.”

“Try me,” Rowdy said.

“How would you ever know how to fight for survival? You are in it for the money, nothing more.”

“I learned how to fight so that I would stop getting picked on,” Rowdy said. “All the kids at school didn’t like me . . . when I was young, they would try to beat me up, to get my lunch money. So I finally fought back. I made it so that no one would ever want to fight me again. I made damn sure that I was the victor so that they would leave me alone. I may not have fought for survival on junk planets, but I fought for survival in the lunch room. My parents weren’t very supportive; my father was in and out of the house, and my mother taught me to be tough. So I was an angry child, angry at the whole galaxy. And I still am. So don’t act like I don’t understand you, Montego. I know what you mean.”

“How could you ever understand?” Montego asked. “You never had to go through the same horrors, the same nightmares, that I did. Someone like you only fights for money, not to survive. And you let it fill your ego. I did not have a choice! It was either fight or die. And you tell me that you know what I mean; you don’t know anything. You are as naïve as one can be. Your ego makes you feel so tough, but inside, you are just a scared little hutt slimeball. You are nothing.”

“I can help you,” Rowdy said.

“How can you help me? I am a lost cause, a wanderer. No one can help me.”

“Look, we’re both in the same boat here. We both feel disrespected by the galaxy. We should stick together.”

“Why? You’re just trying to play nice with me so I do not destroy you again,” Montego said bitterly.

“It’s not that . . . I saw potential in you yesterday. And I want to learn how you fight in Limmie. I want to learn anything that you can teach me,” Rowdy said. “Because, truth is, I’m not a very good Limmie player. I can fight really well, but I’m not that great at playing yet. I need someone to teach me. Can you do that?”

“What would I get in return?” Montego asked, her eyes narrowing.

“Someone who understands, or can sympathize, at least a little, of what you’ve gone through? I see you sitting out here all alone, just like me. Us loners have to stick together. We’ve both seen hard times, things that no one else on this team has ever experienced. So we can support each other in our individual fights to feel more normal. Come on, what do you say?”

Montego was silent for several seconds. Then a sly grin formed on her face, something Rowdy had never seen before, and certainly never thought she would witness. “Deal,” Montego said. “But as long as you promise to me that you will drop the ego. Keep that in the ring, not on the field. If you get overconfident here, you will be burned.”

“It’s going to be hard to do that.”

“How badly do you want to play well here?”

“Really badly. It’s a challenge for me.”

“Then heed my words. Drop the ego, and then we will start.”

Rowdy wasn’t sure by the end of the day if she had made a friend or just gained a tutor, but her words rang true; both she and Montego had their personal demons to extinguish. They needed each other’s help to find a better place within the organization.

jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  23. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub-GM Post

IC: Rosa Ruth

[​IMG]

“Good Morning,” Rosa greeted as she looked out at the half empty auditorium. She hadn’t really expected a full house considering that it was opening day for the ELL, but this was pathetic. “Thanks so much for taking a moment to recognize the importance of the Limmie Futures League. Seven of our eight teams will be returning from last season. With the loss of the Lightning in the Elite League we also took a hit by losing their affiliate the Eriadu Thunder. You can never replace a team that’s been lost, but I do have good news. The Chandrila Patriots have announced the reinstatement of their affiliate the Kamino Waves who will be joining us in the 282 Limmie Futures League as a member of the Stensky Conference.”

“Our season will follow the same format as last year. I’m sure everyone is anxious to know the schedule since games start in one short week. That is why I’m here today. To announce the release of said schedule and to wish all teams good luck in the 282 season.”

282 Limmie Futures League Schedule

Week 1
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Thyferra Force @ Gallinore Firedrakes
    Kamino Waves @ Concordia Crusaders
    Atzerri Bandits @ Byblos Redwings
    Week 2
    Gallinore Firedrakes @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Tatooine Sandkimmers @ Concordia Crusaders
    Thyferra Force @ Byblos Redwings
    Kamino Waves @ Atzerri Bandits
    Week 3
    Gallinore Firedrakes @ Byblos Redwings
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Atzerri Bandits
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Concordia Crusaders
    Thyferra Force @ Kamino Waves
    Week 4
    Gallinore Firedrakes @ Kamino Waves
    Byblos Redwings @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Concordia Crusaders @ Atzerri Bandits
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Thyferra Force
    Week 5
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Atzerri Bandits
    Byblos Red Wings @ Kamino Waves
    Concorida Crusaders @ Thyferra Force
    Gallinore Firedrakes @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Week 6
    Kamino Waves @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Atzerri Bandits @ Thyferra Force
    Byblos Redwings @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Concordia Crusaders @ Gallinore Firedrakes
    Week 7
    Kamino Waves @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Atzerri Bandits @ Gallinore Firedrakes
    Byblos Redwings @ Concordia Crusaders
    Drucknewll Marksmen @ Thyferra Force
    Week 8
    Atzerri Bandits @ Kamino Waves
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Gallinore Firedrakes
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Concorida Crusaders
    Thyferra Force @ Byblos Redwings
    Week 9
    Gallinore Firedrakes @ Atzerri Bandits
    Kamino Waves @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Byblos Redwings @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Concordia Crusaders @ Thyferra Force

Tags: jcgoble3 galactic-vagabond422 Vehn CPL_Macja Bardan_Jusik Jedi Gunny

24. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

IC: Shady Lerouex
    Nar Shaddaa
    Training Camp

Shady bent over and vomited.

She'd workd her rear off today in the Smugglers gridiron. The place where lofty dreams of becoming as great as all those who came before went to die. Here on the practice field, McCloud had the team running the Mandalore drills, teeing off against one another one on one, and going at it full speed. There was no sympathy out here. There was no half-hearted plays or joking around. The Smugglers were all business and Shady knew it. They'd gone 8-3 last season due to their intense practices. The way they played. The mentality drilled into her mind that the opponent felt you coming before you actually got there.

"You spent Lerouex?" Peter Mitchell asked wearing his trademark aviator glasses.

Shady stood and wiped the spittle from her mouth. She'd had enough of this upstart punk. He walked around like he was hot stuff. Like he was the second coming of Tover Micjaa. He had no idea what she was going through this off-season. Her body was starting to break down a bit. She wasn't about to admit that but she could feel the aches and pains settle into her joints. Her doctor's had told her it was simply a sign of getting older. She wanted to slam her doctor's head into the operating table. Then she'd probably be fined. Then she really would be passed over on her contract which Lilly Vehn kept dangling over her like food to a Sarlacc. Just out of reach. Sick schutta.

"Just getting started," Shady smirked and brushed past Peter.

Scrimmage.

A full offensive versus defensive tilt. Nobody was holding back as the practice referees blew their whistles. Lerouex rushed into the Smuggler defense. Past Zelena Wiles who got jammed up with Tom Kaz'ansky, past Wilhulf Nexrus whose tall lanky form could at times betray him against taller defenders, past Ben Dayharvest, the blonde haired wonder from Tatooine, and finally as Lerouex received a tight spiral from Mick Steele she turend to charge at Charlie Blackwood when she was popped hard by none other than the dark haired demon: Martia Paak.

Shady's head roared in pain as Paak stood over her wagging her finger. Paak walked off as the defense celebrated the stop. Shady had enough. She was still the dirtiest player in the league. A reputation she was proud to have. A reputation she wasn't afraid to remind others. She got to her feet and tackled Paak to the ground.

"What the frak!" Paak yelled as Shady tried to land several hard punches into her gut.

Shady felt herself being ripped off Martia, other players jawing at her to cool off. The anger she was felt was uncontrollable. That was partly what made her so good and also so dangerous. She was pushed aside, pushed away, threw up her hands in frustration as she took a walk along the sideline.

The scrimmage resumed. She heard someone come jogging up next to her.

"You want to tell me what that was about, Lerouex?" McCloud asked.

"Not really," Shady said.

"Not really doesnt cut it. You nearly injured our top round draft pick," McCloud said. "I don't mind a few fights in practice. Those happen. The way you targeted Paak I was worried you were going to..."

"To what?" Shady asked.

"Kill her. We need the best 15 players on the field against the defending champs this coming week. I can't have you screwing things up because you're mad at something you won't even talk about," McCloud said.

"So I'm a screw up now?"

"You're a player who isn't playing smart and focused. That costs us games. You're riding the bench this game, Shady. I'm popping in a replacement," McCloud said.

Shady shook her head. "I never should've come back here. I should've signed somewhere else!"

She stormed off the field.

282 was going to be a long season.

Tag:Runjedirun

Jedi Gunny, Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for all player teams (thanks to draft posts and such) on this fine opening day of the season! Best of luck to you all. :)

282 Week 1 Results

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Ralltiir Starkillers (35-35, OT 40-40, 2OT 44-43)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Carratos Pirates (22-37)
    Chandrila Patriots at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers (19-20)
    Bakura Miners at Mando’ade Mercs (1-36)
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Kashyyyk Rangers (15-6)
    Coruscant Senators at Denon Demons (1-4)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.