main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

OOC: I'm running out of time this week so I won't be able to properly do a recap of the games action on Carratos. Suffice to say that Galactic Vagabond has done a superb job of recapping that game and the borderline fights between Lerouex and Boutros. Beautiful stuff. The stuff of lore and legends.

IC: Shady Lerouex
    Skills Challenge

"Good luck out there, guys," Shady called as Erin Windreaver, Zelena Wiles, Sa'Akhuun, and Charlie Blackwood thundered out of the tunnel and out onto the pitch at Six Boroughs for the Skills Challenge.

She watched them celebrate as their names were called to the raucous roar of the crowd who'd turned out in droves to see the best of the Elite League duke it out for bragging rights. She sighed and thrust her hands into her pockets as she made her way out of the stadium. Skills contests weren't her thing. Maybe if they had a contest for who could throw the most punches and survive a gauntlet of pissed off Limmie players. She might be able to survive that one.

"Hey sis," a voice called out to Shady as she walked out toward the statue of Kaitlyn Vehn located just outside the main entrance.

Shady turned and looked at her younger sister, Jaeda. "Hey you," Shady replied and gave her sister a hug.

"Ow," Jaeda cried out.

"What's wrong?" Shady asked pulling away.

"Nothing," Jaeda replied.

"That doesn't look like nothing," Shady said as she gently touched Jaeda's chin and turned her head towards a nearby street light. There was a nasty bruise on her face. Several of them. "How'd this happen?"

"Ran into something at work the other day," Jaeda mumbled.

"At the diner?" Shady asked.

"Yeah at the diner, where else?" Jaeda snapped and jerked Shady's hand away.

"He's back isn't he?" Shady asked. "Why are you still seeing him? That slimeball puts another hand on you I swear I will-"

"Stop, Shady. You don't have to come to my defense all the time. I can take care of myself!"

"Yeah? Why don't you come live with me? I can take care of you. Get you away from that ghetto we grew up in," Shady said.

"You're never around. Besides, I don't want your help, okay? Maker, it was bad enough having everyone I know call you the dirtiest player in the league. Saying how you don't deserve your Galactic Cup titles, the fame, the money. Some people even call you a sell out," Jaeda said.

"I don't care what they say. I'll let my success on the field do the talking. All that does matter to me, sis, is what you think of me," Shady said.

"I think you're one of the toughest ladies out there on the pitch. I think Ralltiir is going to have their hands full this coming weekend," Jaeda said. "You're my hero, Shady. You made it out of the hood before the rest of the thugs could bring you down."

"I'm nobody's hero," Shady protested.

"You're mine," Jaeda reiterated, "and I don't want to talk about my bruises or anything but what you have been up to these last few months."

"Well," Shady said, "it all started against Coruscant..."

Tag: Trieste (for the skills challenge);galactic-vagabond422 (for the mention of Carratos up top)

2. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    OOC: The following game description, based on his post from last week, has not been run by Vehn because I wanted to make sure to get this post up before the Skills Challenge for that bonus roll. If there's something he disagrees with, we can mutually retcon it later. :)

IC: Tendra Nalo
    Time: Post-game, Skywalker Conference Semifinal

Tendra Nalo sat on the field, trying to figure out how it had happened. Despite the offense putting up 34 points, the league's best defense had ultimately been unable to rein in the league's best offense, and the Smugglers had prevailed. Tendra's five goals and ten bar points would later leave the team historian with her nose buried in the record books trying to determine if that performance was a team record, and yet it had been for naught. All she knew was that she had done her job as best she could, but one player could not carry an entire team. Perhaps more than any other sport, limmie or bolo-ball or meshgeroya, whatever you called it, was a team sport through and through, and that fact had reared its ugly head today.

Noticing that the handshake line was beginning to form without her, Tendra hurried over and joined the line, offering her sincere congratulations to the team that had both figured out the Bucs' defense and, despite her numbers, had frequently made things difficult for her. Shady Lerouex offered more than a handshake; she pulled Tendra into a hug and spoke her own heartfelt words.

"I'd fight you any day of the week, Tendra! You hear me? I'd go the distance with you no matter the outcome! You fought well today. You fought well. I respect the hell out of you and you guys came real close to taking home the victory. Good luck next season."

Tendra could only offer a simple "thank you" as the line moved on. She was stunned at this display of sportsmanship. She had always seen Shady as the dirty player who took cheap shots when the refs weren't looking. Perhaps... perhaps there was more to Shady Lerouex than she had thought.

So dominant was that thought in her head, even shoving the sting of the loss out of mind, that her subsequent handshakes and congratulations became less sincere and more automatic. She couldn't stop thinking about it.

Time: Skills Challenge

That thought was still on Tendra's mind as she stood in the tunnel awaiting introductions for the inaugural Skills Challenge. As her turn approached, though, she forced it aside and tried to focus on the upcoming challenge. She was scheduled for the Shooting Accuracy competition and would have to "paint the corners" of the goal as quickly as possible. Eventually she was introduced.

"In her third year of professional limmie, this product of the Hapes Juniors won the Salbukk in her sophomore season. She was an All-Star in each of her first two seasons, including Skywalker Conference captain as a rookie, and she recently claimed the team single-game points record. The daughter of the late Euceron Storm coach Marte Nalo, participating in the Shooting Accuracy Challenge, please welcome the Hapes Consortium Buccaneers' Tendra Nalo!"

Tendra sprinted out of the tunnel with a roar, leaping to high-five one of the fans that had reached over the edge of the stands as she did so. A week and a half earlier, she had put forth an amazing individual effort, only for the rest of the team to not come through. Tonight, there was no team; the glory at stake tonight was of the individual variety, and Tendra relished the challenge. For probably about thirty seconds, the eyes of the entire galaxy, or at least a significant portion of it, would be on her and her alone; it was a huge amount of pressure, but she felt that she performed her best when the pressure was on.

Moreover, after getting the rules, she had practiced specifically for the challenge back at the C-Bucs' facility to figure out what worked best. She knew she would be taking the droids' passes with her hands, and if possible, just above her right shoulder in perfect position for a quick wind-up and shot with her strong arm. The foot could produce faster shots, but the inevitable result of that was less accuracy. She would sacrifice some ball speed for a greater chance of hitting the target.

She was ready. Bring it on.

TAG: Vehn (for the Semifinal), everyone participating in the Skills Challenge

Runjedirun, Vehn and Trieste like this.
  3. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Tian “Sweet Cake” Huo
    Six Boroughs Stadium, New Vertica, Nar Shaddaa

“Here you go Sweet Cake.” Boutros said handing Tian a container of some sort of edible. Taking a bite it was salty like most stadium food, she’d gotten used to it going to such places with Jennas. It had been a long time since Tian had sat in the stands of a stadium instead of standing on the pitch. Her Zeltron companion took her seat with a painful wince. Boutros had taken more hits from Lerouex than she cared to admit. Tian had seen the bruises that cover her body, though Boutros assured her, with a smile, that Lerouex got just the same.

They were there in public, together, they didn’t care who saw or what they thought. The two Pirates were there to cheer on their teammates, and boo the Smugglers. Mostly it was to boo the Smugglers, in their own stadium. Their first opportunity was when Charlie Blackwood was called. Tian leaned her head on Boutros’s shoulder, eliciting a hiss,

“I’m sorry,” she apologized moving her head away.

“It’s alright Sweet Cake, just be careful,” the Zeltron defender had taken to calling Tian Sweet Cake at every opportunity, said it suited her. Tian put her head back on her shoulder, gently this time as the first of the Pirates was called,

“A Five year veteran of the Pirates, from the O’pahz juniors’ league, part of an amazing half forward line, the top scorer for the team, participating in the Longest Shot competition, Leigh Cavanaugh.” Both women stood and belted out ‘Drunken Spacer’ along with all the other Scallywags.

There was a bit of a pause before the next Pirate was up. “This goalkeeper, a stalwart defender having only been subbed one game in his career so far, a vigilant minder, the last line of Pirate defense, Qazi Hameeduddin.”

Again more songs, more cheers, in the Pirate fashion. Tian looked up behind her and saw the large black Pirate banner that flew at every away game, the standard of the ‘Black Spot’. It was always there, always visible even in stadiums like the Grand Villa and Mesh'la Vhetin. She gave a thumbs up to the being waving the flag a burly looking human. He didn’t seem to notice too focused on the field.

“Coming out of the University of Carratos, a corner stone of the ‘Great Wall’, the beast of the back line, participating in the Rough And Ready challenge, Kala Rakshiss.” Tian stood and gave a hardy ‘AAAAARRRRRRR’ for her giant friend, he was one of the few that knew both sides of her, Sweet Cake and Wild Nex.

“Another veteran of the black and white, the center of the fantastic forwards, a deadly sniper from anywhere on the field, participating in the Shooting Accuracy competition, Else Reppen.” The red-haired forward burst out quickly running up to Leigh and giving her a high five and a hug before taking her place.

A little later another Smuggler was called, Sa’Akhuun he was going up against Else, Tian and Boutros both knew that was an uphill battle for anyone going up against her, they weren’t lying when they said she was a sniper.

“A rookie thrown in to the fire at the Marauder Melee that only hardened her, she’s stood tall in the midfield with a mix of skill and guile, a product of Cloud City University, participating in the Skills Challenge Course, Lucy Van Pelt.” Another cheer went up for the rookie overlooked for consideration for the Ingbrand Award it was a shame really her and Masters had an awesome year being the starting midfielders for the Pirates since that game, where they reclaimed the True Marauder Flag.

The last two Smugglers were called Windrever and Wiles. At the mention of the half back Tian swore she saw Else sneer, but only for a moment. There was bad blood in that relationship, started a year ago when Wiles kneed Else in the stomach.

With that all the players had been called and Tian and Boutros settled in for what was going to be, fun, if nothing else. Tian wrapped her hand around Boutros’s never wanting to let go. She didn’t want to think about what her life would have turned into this year if the fierce Zeltron hadn’t reached out to her. She leaned in close, feeling Boutros’s warmth, she was finally whole.

TAG: Vehn / everyone

OOC: I don't care if it's too late, I wanted to write this, good luck Vehn, make the Skywalker proud.

4. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Coruscant Senators to interview current Carratos head coach Kyril Lopaki for head coaching vacancy
    • Lopaki led Pirates to Commissioner's Trophy and 9-2 record this season in first season with the team
    • Team management mum on their intentions regarding interviewing Lopaki beyond "wanting to explore all possible options"
    • HSN analyst: "If Lopaki left to join the Senators, that would be huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Like Starkiller Base huge"
    TAG: galactic-vagabond422 Jedi Gunny

Runjedirun, Vehn, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

282 ELL Skills Challenge
    Longest Score
    Round 1 (20 meters): All participants scored
    Round 2 (45 meters): Erin Windreaver eliminated
    Round 3 (65 meters): Ziven Peoly, Bat Vigo eliminated
    Round 4 (85 meters): All remaining participants scored
    Round 5 (105 meters): Leia Adama eliminated
    Round 6 (130 meters): Leigh Cavanaugh eliminated, Jolla Pic scores

1. Jolla Pic (Bakura Miners)
    2. Leigh Cavanaugh (Carratos Pirates)
    3. Leia Adama (Coruscant Senators)
    4. Ziven Peoly (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers)
    4. Bat Vigo (Ralltiir Starkillers)
    6. Erin Windreaver

Skills Challenge Course
    1. Ty Allin (Ralltiir Starkillers) 1:38.4
    2. Niskat Deenever (Bakura Miners) 1:38.6
    3. Lucy Van Pelt (Carratos Pirates) 1:40.1
    4. Wai Lin (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers) 1:50.3
    5. Noah Trevor (Stewjon Metropolitans) 1:50.9
    6. Grace Organa (Coruscant Senators) 2:06.3

Shooting Accuracy
    1. Tendra Nalo (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers) 13.2
    2. Anya Amasova (Coruscant Senators) 16.6
    3. Sa’Akhuun (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers) 16.9
    4. Lorem Ipsum (Chandrila Patriots) 17.2
    5. Cordell Beckman Jr. (Bakura Miners) 17.6
    6. Else Reppen (Carratos Pirates) 22.5
    7. Kara Suryesh (Ralltiir Starkillers) 26.3

Rough and Ready
    1. Miles Abreggado (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers) 1:48.6
    2. Zelena Wiles (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers) 1:51.5
    3. Noah Till (Ralltiir Starkillers) 1:51.7
    4. Christine Gamble (Coruscant Senators) 2:06.3
    5. Kala Rakshiss (Carratos Pirates) 2:06.8
    6. Nelly Wizmark (Bakura Miners) 2:11.4

Goalkeeper Challenge
    1. Cliff Tuff (Ralltiir Starkillers) 9 shots stopped, 9 goals scored = 18 points
    2. Lizbit Comstock (Bakura Miners) 8 shots stopped, 8 goals scored = 16 points
    2. Kenrey Gatras (Hapes Consortium Buccaneers) 8 shots stopped, 8 goals scored = 16 points
    4. Qazi Hameeduddin (Carratos Pirates) 8 shots stopped, 6 goals scored = 14 points
    5. Charlie Blackwood (Nar Shaddaa Smugglers) 6 shots stopped, 5 goals scored = 11 points
    6. Jayla Leed (Coruscant Senators) 6 shots stopped, 4 goals scored = 10 points
    6. Ware Vulf (Denon Demons) 6 shots stopped, 4 goals scored = 10 points

TAG: galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn Do with these as you will!

Runjedirun, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    OOC: My Character sheets for this season, one is new one is retooled, I hope you all enjoy what I do with them.

GM Approved

Name: Logan Manx-Sandin

Species: Human

Homeworld: Carratos

Physical Appearance: 6’0, long black hair, gray eyes, handsome features, athletic build

Relationship to Team: Offensive Coordinator

Bio: You already know my story, “Hotshot limmie player sick, hides condition from family and friends!” Sounds like a bad holo-tabloid when you say it out loud. This isn’t about that, this is about my life after playing. My new job, my wife, getting around without my legs, you know the usual stuff. My team is coming off a good year, not as good as I would have liked but, good. I worry that this year coming up is going to be rough, as good and bad years seem to follow each other, but right now, I’m only worried about a few things, my wife and my ability as a coach. Sure I was behind the second best offense in the league (tied) but, was that me or was that my players. I guess we’ll find out this year.

Name: Mikia Sandin-Manx

Species: Human

Homeworld: Carratos

Physical Appearance: 6’1, medium length dark blonde hair, brown eyes, good looks, athletic build

Relationship to Team: Player, Right Half Back

Bio: Well there’s not much to say about me. Grew up on Carratos, met a silly and charming player in secondary school. Got into Bilbringi University on a limmie scholarship and played well enough apparently. Was drafted by my home team, alongside the same silly and charming player. Had a few up and down years. Got married to that silly boy, even after he admitted to lying to me for all of our relationship to that point. Coming off a rather good year now, not perfect but, decent. Ready to settle into the next chapter of my life, whatever that may entail.
    _____
    IC: Mikia Sandin-Manx
    Shield Towers, O’pahz, Carratos

My eyes open to sunlight filtering through our window. I roll gently onto my side to see Logan, sleeping face up. He’d gotten used to lying like that, it’s a little difficult to roll on to one’s side without legs. It’s just one of the many changes he had to make ever since his legs were taken away. It was rough on him, it was rough on me but, now we’ve struck a balance. I stay there a little longer watching his chest rise and fall before getting out of bed. I do it very gently so as not to wake him.

I throw on a robe and go about my morning routine, start the caf, make breakfast, and look at the news on my datapad. Absentmindedly I scroll through my alerts until I find something troubling,

“Coruscant Senators to interview current Carratos head coach Kyril Lopaki for head coaching vacancy.”

I stop what I’m doing, reading the rest of the headlines,

“Team management mum on their intentions regarding interviewing Lopaki beyond "wanting to explore all possible options"

“I bet they are,” I mutter to myself, “They’re floundering for options and are looking to poach a hot hand.” I set the pad down, a little hard than I meant to, we’d just gotten used to having him around now he was leaving. If he did that would make three coaches in three years, Copin, who resigned suddenly after the 280 season, Beanne ‘Iron’ Arezzo who left with her husband after he didn’t renew his contract in 281 and now Lopaki who might get stolen by the Senators this season. Who would take his place, Logan? I have a chuckle at that thought, he’d made it very clear that that wasn’t going to happen, not in this life time.

“What’s it, starshine.” A voice calls out from the hall way approaching the kitchen, “You’ve got your angry face on.” I feel my face move involuntarily from a frown to a smile, if only for a moment. He’s dressed in a black shirt and dark sleep pants, his hair is just as long as mine but, thankfully he shaved that animal growing on his face. I understand why he grew it, he was too busy what with the team going to the playoffs, and it being his first year as a coach…coordinator, he dislikes being called a coach, even if the entire team calls him it anyway. The black mass of course hair on his face covered up his handsome jawline and distracted from his grey eyes, also it itched, it didn’t care for it very much.

“It’s nothing babe, caf’s almost ready.” I try to distract him, he doesn’t need this on him this early.

“Do we really need to play the game where I keep bugging you until you tell me what’s wrong?” He says, he always seems to see right through me.

“It’s just that it appears that the Senators are interested in getting a hold of our coach Lopaki.”

All at once his face sours into an ugly expression, “Tell them they can’t have him.” He says a rather serious tone in his voice.

“Wish I could dear but, I’m not part of the front office, I just plant people into the ground.”

“And look stunningly beautiful doing it.” I can see he’s trying to defect, it was his defense mechanism, try and get the other person to laugh so they forget what they were talking about, “I should have taken up a sideline position a while ago, because you are amazing to watch, and you look good in the jersey.” A goofy grin grew on his face, here comes the stupid comment, “Not that it’s hard for you, you could wear that awful Miner’s jersey, you know the one I’m talking about,” I nod my head, I like were this is going, “You’d look drop dead gorgeous, even in that.”

“You know, Wizmark’s contract is up this year and I think she’s retiring…” I let him finish the thought.

“No, no no, just joking babe, I need you here, taking care of my sorry self.” That’s another thing he did, let his disease make him think less of himself.

“I’m sure you’d manage without me.” I reply trying to boost his confidence.

“Let’s hope it never comes to that.” I continue to cook breakfast, giving a few glances over my shoulder, Logan activates the holo-projector in his chair and was scrolling through something, most likely the same headlines I just read. I see him clench his fist, his upset by this, I knew he would be.

“I’m sure it’s just a rumor, just like that one before, where he was talking to that front office person.”

Logan nods his head, “Mirik Lennyel or is it Chal, I can’t remember.”

“I’m not sure I think it’s Lennyel but, I know they worked together when he was with the Lightning.”

“Worked together or ‘Worked Together’” his finger quotes around the second phrase really drove home his innuendo.

“Don’t make it like that, a man and woman can be friends, besides they're work colleagues, not lovers.”

“We were work colleagues.”

“That is different and you know it, we had a history before the team.” I finish making breakfast and put the plate in front of him. He smiles as I bend down to kiss him.

“Looks good babe,” he says as I rise to my full height.

“Lair,” I say gently tugging on his hair, “It’s terrible and you know it.” I take a seat right next to him plate of food and cup of caf in front of me.

“Starshine,” the way he says that silly little nickname always seems to bring a smile to my face, “You’ve gotten better, I’m being honest here.” He takes an exaggerated bite of the scrambled nuna eggs, “See I’m eating it without gagging, it’s an improvement.”

I sour my face, not in a genuine way but, playfully, “Now you’re just being mean.”

He opens his mouth to speak, after sharing a laugh but, is cut off by a beep from his comlink “This is Logan,” his face darkened a bit, “Ok,” he says with a sigh, “I’ll be right there,”

“What’s it?” I ask feeling a little worried.

“Coach Lopaki wants to talk to me.”

“Oh no.”
    _____
    IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    Goss-Pell Memorial Stadium, O’Pahz, Carratos

Right from the beginning I know this isn’t going to be good. My conversation with Mikia had put me on edge. Was Lopaki going to leave us, after we accomplished so much together? How could he even consider it? I enter his office lacking my usual smile.

“Tell me it isn’t true Lopaki,” I say, a hard edge to my voice, “tell me it’s just a wild rumor.”

“You’ve seen the headline then.” His voice is official and matter of fact. “It’s true, all of it.”

My heart drops, we lead the Pirates back to the playoffs, his defense, my offense got us there. Now he was just going to abandon us. “Tell them no, tell them it was a mistake.” Try as I might I can’t take the pain out of my voice, I thought we’d become friends, those long nights spent over game plans and holo-footage looking for weaknesses in our opponents. Was it all just business to him.

“Don’t take this personally Logan, it’s not about you, or the team, it’s…”

“Save your ‘It’s not you it’s me’ speech,” I cut him off, my anger dripping off each word, “stay, we need you here. If it’s money I’m sure Schnitt would pay a Hutt’s ransom to keep you.”

“It’s not only about money Logan, Courscant has other qualities that make it…attractive.” I don’t like the way he said that last word.

“Is this about that woman you were speaking to before the Senators game?” I furrow my brow, dear Force I hope I’m wrong.

“Logan,” his tone betrays not an ounce of guilt, “My reasons for taking the interview are my own, I don’t need to explain myself to you. I’m doing this as a courtesy. Giving you time to find a replacement or,” now I really didn’t like the look in his eyes. They were boring into me, trying to draw something out. “Give you time to step up, and take my place.”

I draw a deep breath though my teeth. That was the worst thing he could say to me at this point. “By all the nine Corellian hells no, I’ve explained this I wouldn’t make a good head coach. I have no idea how to run a defense.”

“I think you know more than you let on, and you’re a quick study. You adapted Mrs. Arezzo’s ‘Iron Cage’ strategy to suit your own needs. I plan on taking my playbooks with me when I leave but, Mr. Copin…”

“Don’t you dare.” I stop him in his tracks, coach Copin may have left with little explanation but, at least he stuck around for a few years, not like ‘Iron’ Arezzo, and now not like Lopaki. “He was an offensive coach first, his ‘All In’ is a high risk high reward attack. Not a defensive master piece.”

“What about his ‘Fortress’ or ‘Tower’ set ups, they seem to have a strong defensive capability.”

“No, no no no, we are not running the ‘Mad Man’ playbook. That was made in desperation and ran all of us ragged. The player’s won’t do that again, especially Bel and Kala if I run the ‘Tower’ and the forwards if I run the ‘Fortress’. They sacrifice one side for the other, it may have worked once or twice but, it never had any sustained success.”

“But you can make them work.”

“No I can’t. You’re the defensive mastermind on this team. And you flattering me to assuage your guilt isn’t going to change my mind, I’m not a head coach.”

“I carry no guilt for making this decision.”

I feel my face sour, by all rights he should feel some guilt, he came in and built us up after the departure of another coach. I thought he would stick around, now he’s bolting as soon as a better opportunity shows up. Maybe his experience with the Lightning collapse affected him more than he let on. “Fine, go cry yourself to sleep in your piles of money, I’ve got better things to do.” I don’t even try to hide my anger. How could he do this to us, what did Courscant have that Carratos didn’t? I’d gotten myself almost to the door when I realized, his daughter, his daughter plays for the Force, she’d be a simple call up away from him. I stop and turn my chair towards him. “If you want to spend more time with your daughter, I’m sure Schnitt…”

“Now you’ve crossed a line Logan.” For the first time there was genuine emotion in his voice. “My reasons are my own.”

I give one more glare at him before leaving. I’m still in disbelief, why do coaches keep leaving us. What could we do to make them stay? I start blaming myself, maybe there was something more I could have said, or done to make staying a better option. Maybe bringing up his daughter was a bad move but, I couldn’t think of anything else. There’s a part of me that wants coach Copin back, for all of his faults at least he had some loyalty.

Another deep sigh leaves my chest, maybe it was time I step up, take the reins of this beast and steer a new course, one that doesn’t involve a constantly changing leader. I shake my head, no, I can’t do it. I won’t put the team I love in the position of having a lead with no clue what he’s doing. It wouldn’t be fair to them. By the same token would it be fair to them to put their fate in the hands of another who wouldn’t have a clue as to the team’s history, or culture. I run a hand though my hair, it’s getting to be too much right now, I need to go home. I need time to think, time to talk it over with my wife. She was always better at making decisions; the best one I ever made was marrying her. I’m still surprised she said yes. I’m getting off topic, this is serious, how do we move on from this?

I pull my comlink out of my pocket and bring it to my mouth.

“Yes.” Schnitt’s voice replies.

“I guess you’ve heard the news,”

“I have, Mr. Lopaki is looking elsewhere for work next season.” His voice carries a hint of loss.

“Is there anything we can do?”

“I’ve done what I can but, ultimately it’s up to him.”

“And if the worse should come to pass?” I ask feeling overwhelming anxiety in my chest.

“I have a plan it’s not perfect but, it’ll have to do.”

I hate all of this but, I have no choice. “Ok, whatever happens, I’ll be here.” At least one of us needs to stick around.

TAG: No one in particular but Jedi Gunny for what happens next.

Vehn, Runjedirun, Jedi Gunny and 2 others like this.
  7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post
    Nar Shaddaa

“Gentlebeings...boys and girls...limmie fans around the galaxy…it’s time for the best, the brightest, and the greatest names in limmie, gathering for one night only. That’s right, it’s the 282 Elite League Limmie Season Awards! And hereeeeee’s your host: Commissioner Fenrir Lokensgaard!”

The Commissioner took the stage, all smiles, for one of the biggest nights of the limmie year. “Hello, hello, welcome,” Lokensgaard said. “It’s so good to see all of you here. Now, usually I make a few jokes, point out how ridiculous some Wookiee’s hair looks, and get a C-Bucs player to give me a kiss, but this year I think we’ll just get down to the awards. So, first off--”

“Not so fast Loki!”

Lokensgaard looked around. “Who said that? And my name’s not--”

“You thought you could get away with it, didn’t you? Well, not this time! I, Corran Ostaren, am in charge tonight!” the comedian said as he strutted onto the stage to applause from the crowd.

“Corran, what are you doing here?” Lokensgaard asked in confusion.

“I’m here to save the ELL Season Awards!” Corran proclaimed with arms wide open to encourage further cheering.

“But the awards don’t need saving,” Lokensgaard said.

“They absolutely do and I’m here to do it. Now you just go take a seat, have a drink, and let me do this,” Corran said, shuffling the Commissioner off the stage. “All right!” Corran rubbed his hands together. “You are all now in thrall to me. I am the grand poobah of all things limmie...for the next forty five minutes plus commercials. Speaking of which--”

Corran pulled out a tube of cream from his pocket. “Does athlete’s foot have you down? Don’t let it get in the way of your game. Stay cool with Freezy Feet--the patented athlete’s foot remedy that all the pros use. Or I use. One or the other. Freezy Feet--developed by Wookiees, for Wookiees. And everybody else, because they want market share.

“And I just made like 10,000 credits in thirty seconds. My hourly rate is amazing.” The audience laughed.

“But pro limmie athletes actually have a way better hourly wage than me. Well, unless you count training camp, practices, travel time, warm ups, fan events, and nacho eating time. In that case...it’s probably about even. Three players learned about all of that first hand this season and somehow they were still amazing. Naturally, I’m talking about our rookie of the year candidates for the Ingbrand Award. They are Martia Paak of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, Cliff Tuff of the Ralltiir Starkillers, and Charles Brown of the Hapes Consortium Buccaneers. And before I open this nifty envelope,” Corran said wiggling the item in question, “I want to just say that I don’t care what anyone says: you’re no peanuts out there. You’re all amazing. All right, got that off my chest. The winner is…
    “...Martia Paak,Nar Shaddaa Smugglers!”

“As some of you know, I followed around the Bakura Miners this year and got to learn a lot about limmie. One of the most important things that I learned was that the players that everyone respects the most are the ones who play the game fair and square. Apparently spiking the Gundarkade is not looked upon kindly...which is not an idea that would ever occur to me on my own. In fact, until it showed up in the teleprompter. I definitely did not do that in Week 5. Definitely. Probably. Definitely.

“Anyways, players who would never spike the Gundarkade are our nominees for the Duchess Eldin Award: Tendra Nalo of the Hapes Consortium Buccaneers, Alysha Romax of the Coruscant Senators, and Kara Suryesh of the Ralltiir Starkillers. The winner is…
    “...Kara Suryesh!”

“The Grames Award recognizes the scariest being in the Elite League. Like super scary. Like I have nightmares about them...What?” Corran looked off stage. “This isn’t what that’s for? Then why is Quinn Cundertol nominated?!...This is the best general manager of the Elite League award? Well , I guess that makes sense. Quinn--forget everything I just said. Except for that part, about forgetting what I said. Remember that. Or forget it. I’m not sure anymore. I’m so confused.

“Good thing they wrote down the nominees here.” Corran held up the flimsi envelope. “Our nominees for the Grames Award are Leota Avoy of the Hapes Consortium Buccaneers, Quinn Cundertol of the Bakura Miners, and Schnitt Polenta of the Carratos Pirates. The winner is…”
    “...Leota Avoy, Hapes Consortium Buccaneers!”

“The Comback Player of the Year Award...wait, that’s what it’s called? We haven’t named this after anyone yet?” Corran raised eyebrow and looked around suspiciously. “Ahem...let’s try that again. The Corran Ostaren Award recognizes the player who has overcome the most adversity this season. And this season, they’re all females. This is not going to help me win any arguments with my wife about which one of us is tougher. I mean, it’s not fair the way she hits me with pillows. How am I supposed to defend myself from that kind of onslaught?

“Oh where were we? Right. Nominees. Leigh Cavanaugh of the Carratos Pirates, Alyada Hovechar of the Ralltiir Starkillers, and Shady Lereoux of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. The winner of the Comeback--I mean Corran--is…”
    “...Shady Lereoux of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers.”

“Put me in coach! Put me in! I’m ready!” Corran said, jogging onto stage in a uniform, headband included, for the Endor Ewoks--which given its size and the amount of pasty skin it showed was probably made for an Ewok. “I’ve got this! I’m going to give 120%, which is the interest rate on my speeder loan from when I was in high school, which I’m still paying off, in case anyone has any extra credits they aren’t using.” Corran paused to see if anyone would take him up on that. “Actually, I recently tried to coach some limmie: here’s how it went…”

“Obviously we could have used some better coaching. That’s why I’ve extended coaching offers to all of the nominees of the Langann Award, which recognizes the best head coach in the League. Our nominees are Kyril Lopaki, Carratos Pirates; Mylessa McCloud, Nar Shaddaa Smugglers; and Gaeriel Valerii, Bakura Miners. Our winner is…
    Corran looked up from the envelope. “Is this for real? This is a unanimous vote? Kyril Lopaki, gentlebeings!”

“The Vigo Award recognizes perseverance and dedication to the sport of limmie. Frankly, I’m a little miffed that I wasn’t nominated. After all, I mostly watched a lot of this season. Like 30%. I mean, that’s pretty dedicated. I know that seems a little low, but you should see the line for nachos at Financial Square Arena. Waiting for those was like 15% of my time, but they were so good. I’m pretty sure they put spice on them. And I mean the addictive spice, not the other spice. The spicy-spice. That spice. What I’m trying to say is that it takes perseverance for a being to get some nachos. You know what I’m talking about, don’t you Fu Arock. Yeah you do!

“Anyways, we’ll talk nachos more when some nacho company pays me to talk about them. For now, I’ll read the names of the Vigo nominees. They are Fu Arock of the Mando’ade Mercs, Oss’irh’cgood of the Rydonni Prime Monarchs, and Alysha Romax of the Coruscant Senators. Our winner is…
    “...after a long and distinguished career, Alysha Romax of the Coruscant Senators.”

“And finally, our biggest award of the night. That’s right--the Rurra Eshka’mos Memorial Cup. Now, we ordered a really fancy shiny trophy for this...but it didn’t arrive so we had to settle for an old...ahem...piece of athletic equipment that Rurra used in middle school. Why he still had this is beyond me but sometimes you just roll with it. Our nominees are--”

“Corran, I think there’s an even bigger award tonight.”

“What?” Corran exclaimed in surprise. “Who was that?”

“I said, I think there’s a bigger award,” Rurra Eshka’mos said, coming onto the stage. The audience naturally loved this. The Bothan waved to the crowd.

“Rurra Eshka’mos everybody!” Corran said. “Rurra, I didn’t know you were coming tonight!”

“Well I didn’t know you had a...ummm...you know of mine. Where did you get that anyways?” Rurra asked awkwardly.

“Apparently your mom kept everything from your childhood,” Corran offered.

“You called my mom?”

“Actually, I stopped by your house. She showed me all your holos from growing up.”

“Oh no. Even the one--”

“Yes, especially that one.”

Rurra looked out nervously at the crowd. “Maybe we should change the subject to the big award.”

“Yes, the Rurra Eshka’mos Memorial Cup!” Corran said, clapping. “Let’s bring it on out here!”

“Actually, I think the big award is the Salbukk Award. You know, the most valuable player to his or her team?” Rurra suggested.

“Oh right. We’ll do the Cup later.”

“No we won’t,” Rurra said.

“The outstanding nominees for the Salbukk Award are Leigh Cavanaugh of the Carratos Pirates, Horst Penn of the Bakura Miners, and Mick Steele of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. Rurra, would you care to do the honors?”

“Of course! The winner is…”
    “...Has this ever happened before? By another unanimous vote, Leigh Cavanaugh!”

“Well that’s our show!” Corran said, signing off. “Congratulations to the nominees and especially the winners. See you at the Galactic Cup! By the way, does anyone have an extra ticket? I could really use one. Especially if it was front row. And free.”

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Alysha Romax
    Nar Shaddaa

It had been a long time since Alysha had been to one of the League Awards receptions, a long time. Things had certainly changed since that last time; the crowd seemed more packed, and the whole atmosphere was completely different. Everything had changed. Or maybe it had been her that had changed.

Because she had changed so much. Back then, she had been the young stud midfielder for the Senators. They had been riding high on the heels of the 268 Galactic Cup title, and everyone had come out to celebrate their accomplishment. That seemed an eternity ago, not just on the field, but also because it had been almost fifteen years. So much had transpired since then. The League had expanded, contracted, and expanded again, conferences had been put in place for the first time in a long time, and franchises were popping in and out of the League like little children on the playground. Even the Senators had bounced out and back in during that time span, although it hadn’t been their choice. Then again, had it been anyone’s choice to be taken out of the League? Likely not.

But she had changed as a player during that time, too. She had grown older, and in some ways that had taken her game away from her. She had gone from being a shutdown player to being a good player, and then more of a role player. She had gone to the Cluster and come back a different player. In 280, she had turned in an All-Pro season, and she thought she would have a few good seasons left in her. But the injury changed all that. The fact she was here today was a testament to how she had conducted herself in rehab to get back to the League, to get back for that one final sendoff. She had her moment in the sun, but the Awards were a chance to at least remain relevant in the eyes of the galaxy one more day. This night, regardless of whether she won or not, would be her own.

She was up for two awards tonight, the ones that looked past the major success on the field and aimed more for the overall body of work. The fact she had two nominations despite playing in only one game was quite an accomplishment, but her old body of work had likely gotten her here. After all, she had won a title in her time in the Elite League, and for this season had the longest career in the Elite League of any player currently on an Elite League roster. She was not just some player; she was the Alysha Romax that had gone toe-to-toe with the greats over the years. That definitely helped.

The first award was the Duchess Eldin. It was a notorious award for the Senators because they just couldn’t find a way to get their names in the final pool for the category. Alysha now found her name in the pool, against Nalo and Suryesh. One of them would win, and two wouldn’t. That’s how it worked. She had a one in three chance of leaving her with at least one award. But she knew she wouldn’t win. The others were stars of this era; she was a star of a bygone era that had effectively ended when Alana Glencross and Meredith Chambers had retired. The League had been different then. The League was now for the younger players, and there was little room for the crusty veterans like her still hanging on to the last shreds of time they had left in the League.

Suryesh won the award, and Alysha clapped for her. The Starkiller forward deserved the Award, everyone knew that. But, deep down, Alysha was disappointed. She had never been nominated for Awards like other star players had been, and this was her last shot to take home some hardware. Missing out on one category stung.

Then it was time for the award for the perseverance on the field. Could she take this one home with her? She had Arock and Ozzie to take on. They both had personality, and she did, too, once upon a time. Again, things had changed.

. . . after a long and distinguished career, Alysha Romax of the Coruscant Senators.”

She had done it. She had won.

It was a surreal scene to be standing at the podium to give a speech. The longtime veteran midfielder now stared down all the people in the audience. They expected her to give a short and sweet speech. She had one to give them.

“Thank you for the Award. It means so much,” she began. “After all these years in the League, I finally get to stand up here and say a few words. That means a lot, too.

But it also means a lot because this was my last go-around. When I collapsed on that field last year . . . I thought that was it. I thought it was the end, and what a terrible way to go. When I awoke at the hospital . . . the doctors told me that I should never play Limmie again. Try telling that to someone like me who has only ever really played this sport. It was devastating. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It seemed so final.

So, what did I do? I still tried out anyways. I built myself from the ground-up again. Everything I once took for granted, I no longer had. No conditioning, no roster spot, no real chance to get back. Everyone said I couldn’t do it, and I believed them sometimes. But I kept working. And I finally stuck on for one last try at things.

And then I got to play in one final game at home. I played in some big games in my career, but I think that game this season was the biggest one in my career, even bigger than the Semifinal win or Cup title in ’68. Those games meant a lot to me, but this game . . . it was the fitting end I was hoping to have at the end of my career. I can walk away from my career knowing that I finished what I set out to do. It doesn’t matter how many minutes I played, what stats I collected or if the game meant anything in the standings. It didn’t. But knowing that I had one final game to play, and to win, that was big.

I would like to thank everyone with the Coruscant Senators for letting me have another chance, to end things on my terms. I will always truly appreciate this chance, and I will fondly look back on my time in this great League as the best years of my life. I got to battle good teams and great players, and I saw many worlds. What else could I have expected in a career? I have no regrets, none at all. This was the end of the road, and I’m ready for the next chapter to begin. Thank you.”

As soon as she stepped off that stage, she had transitioned into a new zone, the status of being a retired player. Her world had changed in the blink of an eye, and whatever lay ahead, she would have to be ready for it.

TAG: No One in particular

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines
    • Coruscant Senators sign Kyril Lopaki as new head coach. Deal is reportedly for three years
    • Lopaki led Carratos Pirates last season to 9-2 record and Commissioner's Trophy
    • Senator owner Kala Alaree: "We are glad to have Mr. Lopaki on board. He has proven that he is a winning coach, and we would like to see that same success here on Coruscant"
    • Former Thyferra Force head coach Keli Sen named as Senator offensive coordinator. Sen has led Force to a Futures League title in her time on Thyferra, and will lead team in Finals this week
    • Sen: "I am excited to have an opportunity to coach in the Elite League. But I will miss Thyferra; the fans there are great, and I had a good organization to work for"
    • Sen's defensive coordinator, Travers Mercator, will join Senator staff as new defensive coordinator. It will be Mercator's first Elite League job
    • Pamila Korthe, the Senators defensive coordinator, will take on role as Thyferra head coach
    • Korthe: "It was time for me to return to Thyferra, where I've always felt I've belonged best"
    • Fans on Thyferra excited for Korthe's return next season
    • Fan: "We love Ms. Korthe here on Thyferra because she was able to bring our franchise back to respectability. Coach Sen took them to new heights, but it's time she gets her shot with the Sens"
    • Korthe will return to same organization as her husband, Jed Ortmeyer, who is Force GM

TAG: galactic-vagabond422 Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    OOC: This is a one off post made with the help and permission of Jedi Gunny

IC: Kyril Lopaki
    Hotel O'Pahz,O'Pahz, Carratos

Part of Kyril Lopaki can’t believe he’s doing this, interviewing for a job when he’s got a perfectly good one back on Carratos, one Schnitt was begging him to stay at. However, this was an opportunity he couldn’t pass up, a chance to be closer to his daughter and Mirik. It wasn’t just that, after the devastating loss to Nar Shaddaa the Scallywags had turned on him, sending nasty messages, and some making threats. He’d gone through this before and he was sure it wouldn’t be the last time but, on Carratos they felt more…legitimate, that they weren’t just idle threats.

An assistant guided him into the room. It was well appointed and screamed expensive, nothing but the best for the Corellian princess. Maybe she’d be able to offer him more than what Schnitt was, and it would most defiantly have less dirt attached to it. The Balosar owner/GM/whatever was an affable being but, there was an edge to him and his secretary always gave Kyril a bad vibe. Across from him was a young woman blonde hair and an infectious smile on her face.

“Good morning Mr. Lopaki.” She said with a soft lilt to her voice. Kala Alaree the young heiress who always wanted a limmie team, and now she has one, now she just needed a coach, having fired the last one due to poor performance. “I hope this isn’t imposing on anything.”

“No,” Kyirl said in a professional tone, he’d made sure to keep it professional, despite all the personal reasons he had for accepting the offer he still planned to get a better job out of it. “I cleared my schedule for this.”

“Well I’m glad I can rank so highly on your priorities.” Her words carried not a hint of sarcasm, something he was expecting. An only child in a wealthy household, he expected her to want the galaxy to revolve around her. “Now it’s no secret that the Senators have had a bad time this last season and I think a shakeup is in order.”

“Firing the head coach seems a good step towards that.”

Her smile deepened, “Quite right, and finding a new one is a bit of a challenge. It seems to be very hard to find experienced coaches in this league.” The smile dimmed a little, “I’m rather surprised you even agreed to meet with me considering the fantastic success you had here with the Pirates.”

“My reasons for taking this meeting are my own Miss. Alaree.”

“Please call me Kala.”

That was going to be very difficult for him, for one thing she was a potential employer, it didn’t seem professional for him to so casually refer to her by her first name, also the only other Kala he knew was a Karestian that stood over two meters tall and could bench press 150 kilos regularly. “I’d prefer to keep things professional for the time being.”

She nodded her head, hopefully that was and understanding nod and not a condescending nod. “Alright let’s talk specifics then.” Her voice had shifted slightly into a more business tone, but still with a soft edge to it. “I’m looking to sign you for not a small sum for a good amount of time.” She was being rather vague for wanting to be specifics, but, this is how negotiations went you never show you’re hand too early.

“I’m already getting paid not a small sum and my current boss is offering more to keep me on.”

“I’m sure I can do better,” the grin returned to her face, “And I believe this job brings certain fringe benefits that you don’t get elsewhere.”

Kyril could feel the predatory nature in the comment, he had a sinking feeling that she meant Mirik and Jenica. While they were a key reason he was doing this they weren’t the only ones. “That is true but, I’d I’m not ready to sign on those alone.”

“I understand, a being must eat.”

“I’d also like to know that my position is secure, that you won’t pull the rug out from under me if I have a bad season.”

“You seemed to hit the ground running with the Pirates lead them to the Commissioner’s Trophy just this year.”

“While that is an accomplishment, and I’m proud of it, I can’t promise that it’ll happen every year. I might need a little time to get things locked in.”

“I plan to offer you that time. I’m not so naïve to believe that I can capture that lightning, but you’ve proven to be a competent coach with an ability to win games, and the Senators need wins, we can’t return to the playoffs if we don’t win first.” Her tone never became too serious, there was always a bubbly under current to her words.

“I thank you for your confidence, and if you give me some time I’m sure it’ll be rewarded.” He might not have total confidence in his words but, this was a job interview if ever there was a time to sell one’s self it was now.

“I’m glad we could come to an agreement, now here’s what I’m prepared to offer you.” She wrote on a piece of flimsi and slid it over to him. Looking it over, Kyril’s eyes widened, just a bit. It wasn’t an outrageous amount but, he hadn’t expected it to be better than the offer coming from the other camp. A smile came across his face for the first time.

“I think I can work with this.”

That impish smile graced the younger woman’s face, “I’m glad but, you know I wouldn’t have given up, I always get what I want.”

“I expected nothing less,” he said getting up from the table, extending his hand.

“I think this could be the start of something great Mr. Lopaki.”

“Don’t get your hopes up Miss. Alaree, I haven even started yet.” She smiled again and released his hand.

As he left he felt just a little guilty, he was abandoning this team at a time they needed stability a since of continuity but, every time he thought of staying his thoughts would drift to Mirik and Jenica. Thoughts of patching thing up with his daughter and rekindling what might still be there with is former lover. It might sting them for a bit but, they’ll bounce back he was sure of that.

_____

Mirik sat at the table in her apartment doing homework. It seemed like an every-night occurrence when she had to do work for school, but she had expected it going in. Getting her law degree in one year was a fool’s errand, so maybe that’s what she was; a fool. Then again, it had been something she wanted for many years. If it wasn’t business, it was the thought of making a difference in the courtroom. She had studied business and business law in college the first time around, so it was time to use those skills for something good. After all, it could help her in the long run with the Senator organization and where it was going.

We have breaking news coming out of the East Industrial District . . . said the voice on the radio, which Mirik had on in the background as she worked. Immediately, she moved her head up to listen; the Senators were headquartered in that part of town.

The Coruscant Senators have announced that they have filled their head coaching vacancy, the voice on the radio said.

"Who’d they get?” asked the other voice.

"The new coach will be Kyril Lopaki, formerly of Carratos, in a shocker."

"Lopaki? But why would Carratos ever let him go after the season they just had? It’s madness!”

"Obviously he felt he could use his improved stock to move on up in the market size. But hey, we’re happy to have him, since he’s experienced at this level. Hopefully he will be the coach that takes us to the next level. We’ll take a break, and then come back to take your calls regarding this breaking news . . ."

Mirik just sat there, not paying attention to the commercials on the radio. Kyril had agreed to sign a contract with the Senators to be their head coach? She knew this day could someday arrive, but it had been a very outside possibility. And now it was here. She didn’t know what to do or what to say.

All she could do was take a look at her comlink on the table. She hadn’t called Kyril since she got his number, but there hadn’t been much to say. She had been hurting back then, and it still stung.

But that was tempered by the thought that maybe things could work out. If Kyril was coming, could they patch up their differences? The last time she saw him, she had everything seemingly figured out. But now she didn’t. Now she felt somewhat lost.

Could Kyril fix what ailed her? Could he help her turn the page in her life to write a new chapter? Could she really crawl back to him after all this time?

The stare lasted for an eternity as she wondered if she should pick up the communicator or not.

_____

Jenica Lopaki was unsure of how to take the news. She was back home, eating out with friends. The Holo screen on the other side of the bar showed the breaking news bulletin, and Jenica almost dropped her sandwich when she saw the news. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing. Her father would be coaching the Senators. And she could be playing for the Senators. It was an amazing opportunity.

But then she remembered how far they had drifted apart. Kyril had plenty of duties on Ylesia when he had been there, and Jenica had felt somewhat left out in her time on Eriadu. She hadn’t spoken much to her father during those years, and while she had said a few words to him last season before her Elite League debut, she hadn’t spoken to him since. It was so hard to find a good time to call him, because he was likely busy. She knew better than to keep calling him. He was a busy man, and now would have extra duties on Coruscant. How she would fit into those plans, she did not know.

Needless to say, while she was excited that her father would be joining her, she wasn’t sure if it would come to anything. It hadn’t the last time.

TAG: Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  11. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Ty Allin

I may have overslept this morning. Coach woke me up by banging on my hotel room door. “You in there Allin?” These were the first words I heard this morning. Followed by “You let me in. I am not going to stop knocking until you open this door.”

Afraid he would wake up everyone on the floor I quickly rid myself of the warm blankets and stood up. In nothing but my boxer shorts I threw the door open. “You wanted to see me Coach?”

“Allin I told you yesterday you are not on vacation. The entire team is downstairs eating breakfast. If you want any you better throw some warm-ups on and get moving.” As I open my suitcase and pull a pair of pants on. Coach keeps talking. “I could still pull you from the skills competition,” he warns. “Maybe it’s the kick in the ass you need to take this finals game seriously.”

“Coach,” I say getting his attention. “I want to compete today and I am taking this game seriously. Don’t pull me from the Skills Challenge. Let me prove to you how much the upcoming game means. I’m going to win today. I’ll make you proud,” I promise.

A few short hours later I’m on the field at the New Six Boroughs. I watch nervously as my competitors run through the Skills Challenge course. Lucy Van Pelt of the Carratos Pirates has a full 10 second lead with only two of us left to compete. If I don’t live up to my promise I could find myself benched in the final. Niskat Deenever is up next and she proves the time can be beat. I am last. It feels like all the pressure is on me at this moment.

Luckily for me I am a professional Limmie player. Handling pressure is second nature. I give the crowd a salute as I step up to take my mark and wait for the horn to blow. I don’t look at the clock. I take on each obstacle as fast as I can. I make it through the course with little trouble, but at the end I have to score a goal. Suddenly, I have no idea what I was thinking when I signed up for this. I quickly think back to the Shooting Accuracy thing that took place before my event. Tendra Nalo had thrown the ball in the goal. I was good at passing. I could do this. I took the ball in my left hand and flung it in the net.

I heard the crowd cheer and braved a peak at the leaderboard. My name appeared up top. Just two tenths of a second ahead of Niskat’s. I think I stood on the field for a full thirty seconds with my mouth hung open in shock as I caught my breath. When I came to my senses I took a bow and ran to the sidelines. I approached Niskat at a run, “Thanks for making me work for it.” I said putting out my hand. I meant it to. I respected her very much at that moment. She had given me the target I had to beat and it had not been easy. I had barely accomplished my goal.

To my surprise Niskat didn’t take my hand. She threw her arms around me for a hug. Excited and surprised I hugged her back. I lifted her in the air a little as I did. Then I backed away and waved once more at the crowd.

If Coach was pleased with my performance after the competition he wasn’t going to let me know. “That is the effort I want to see in practice this evening. That is the kind of performance I expect to see when you take the field on Sunday. Don’t let me down Allin. Don’t let me down,” he warned.

“Not on your life,” I promised. This game meant a lot to me too, after all. A second chance to play in the finals in two years. A chance to play against one of if not the most storied franchises in the league. This game meant more to me than anything else in this Galaxy. I told Lucie I couldn’t have any more family time until after the game. I know she came a long way to see me, but she understands. If she wants to see me win I have to put the time in in practice. I need to study tape, run drills, properly fuel my body, get the right amount of rest and I most of all I need to find a way to match Shady Lerouex play for play, punch for punch.

The best fighter I know is Bat Vigo. I spend some one on one time with him. He teaches me how to throw a punch without moving my whole arm, and how to make a fist at the last moment so it won’t look like a punch at all to a by standing ref. I don’t like to play dirty. My plan is to play fair until I take a punch. Once Shady throws one though and I promise myself it will only take one, I stoop to her level. I’m not letting this game get away.

IC: Lucie Vigo Allin

It’s a long skills challenge. I have to walk Ezra to the fresher twice and make a separate trip for T.J. Luckily we are all in our seats when Ty wins the Skills Challenge Course. By the way he makes the goal at the end I wonder why he never played offense. I try not to be jealous when Niskat Deenever wraps her arms around him at the end for a hug.

At the end of the challenge I wrangle my boys and race back to the hotel to feed Cammie. I’m in the room feeding when Ty stops in. He tells me that he won’t be able to spend time with me or the family for the rest of the week. I nod in understanding. I really do understand. It’s just not easy to manage three kids alone in a hotel room at night. Luckily I have a huge support system. My younger sister comes to walk with me in the mornings. The Fortune’s and Ty’s mom watch the kids periods during the day so I can catch up on some of the sleep I miss at night.

When I’m really lonely I call Bough back home. He tells me about the theater productions and I miss work. I am seriously torn about what I should do when we get back. Cammie is old enough for daycare now and I have a spot saved for her. But what kind of mother am I to leave her and Ezra there all day while I fulfill frivolous dreams? Or are my dreams important? It’s something I need to discuss with Ty. I need to be patient and make the decision when we get back home.

As the Galactic Cup Final nears I hear that Ty is going to face off against Shady Leroux and I worry for his safety. My children need a father. It’s a good thing we aren’t in touch. I’d probably tell him to be careful out there. The last thing he wants to do against her is let his guard down. There was no room for caution. He would have to be just as reckless as her if he wanted a chance to bring home another cup.

The day of the game finally arrived. Ty came to my room early in the morning. He’s carrying a beautiful bouquet. “I haven’t forgotten you. Thanks for allowing me the time to practice and be ready for the game today,” he says holding them out to me.

“Oh Ty,” I manage. I can’t believe I am holding back tears, but this was so unexpected. I love him so much at this moment.

We embrace. I want to stay in his arms forever and he holds on for a while. Maybe he feels the same. Finally he breaks away. “I love you,” he says.

“A kiss for luck,” I offer. I kiss his cheek he moves his face so our lips connect. Then we part and he jogs down the hall to catch the lift. I have to hire a driver and a security guard to get me in the gates just as the game is beginning. As a new mother who hasn’t begun to wean I can’t be away from Cammie for too long. So I leave just after a feeding. I take a seat next to my mom and we clasp hands as the teams are introduced.

Here I am in the home locker room at New Six Boroughs on Nar Shaddaa. Since grade school I had known I’d play in this game someday. Maybe not two years back to back, but even that wasn’t so surprising. I had earned my spot here. All those practices, early mornings, late nights, space trips and time missed with family had to pay off eventually.

Coach whistles and we all gather around. Coach Jul speaks first. “Week one,” she says and we all remember. “Two overtimes,” she continues pausing for effect. “It was one of the most intense and most remembered games in modern Limmie history. Everyone in the Galaxy remembers. They want to see if a lowly Solo Conference team can take Nar Shaddaa to that point again. I say we can overtake them. You earned a chance to even the score today. Today is our turn to come out on top.”

The fanfare outside gets louder as the Smugglers are introduced to a crowd that is overwhelmingly in their favor. When the boos begin to reign down I know our names are about to be called. “From the University of Ralltiir Fullback Ty Allin,” I hear the announcer call. I run out onto the field smiling ear to ear. Ready to play the game I love. Ready to prove the Solo is the Conference to beat.

Tag: Vehn

Vehn, Trieste, jcgoble3 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Rowdy Roosey
    Nar Shaddaa

Championship Game.

What a marvelous combination of two words that reeked of awesome. This was why people watched sports. This was what all the work was for. One would win, one would lose. It was the same on the Limmie pitch as it was in the ring. The same principles were all there; win or go home empty-handed. There was no other way, no recourse. One game, 48 minutes, one champion. Everything would be left out on the field.

It was an amazing feeling for Rowdy to be here today. She had worked her way up the depth chart to be a starter for the Thyferra Force, and now would play a crucial role in trying to help the Force win their second title in three years. Everyone knew that she was a wild card; if she played well, her team usually did well. If she struggled, the team would suffer. While this was pretty universal for all players, she was far different than the average Limmie player. She was coming from competitive fighting, where things were much different. If she could get in the head of even one opposing player before or during the game, that was an advantage. She had the name-brand to bear against opponents, and while she hadn’t gone off on anyone this season, if someone wanted to pick a fight, she would be all too happy to oblige.

The opponent was Druckenwell. The Marksmen were no strangers to success in the Futures League, and their counterparts at the Elite League level were to play for a Galactic Cup later on in front of their home crowd. The dynamic would be a pseudo home game for the Marksmen, even if it was a neutral field. The crowd would be loud and obnoxious today, so the Force had to be ready.

Rowdy had been in some big fights before, but this was a new experience for her. She didn’t know what it was like to play for a Limmie title. She had to trust that her teammates would do their jobs so that she could do hers. That’s how Limmie worked. Her own play was only a contribution, not the whole effort.

This was it. This was what they had played for all season. Losing her would be a major disappointment. Rowdy wanted to win. She always wanted to win. Taking home the title would be more validation for her in her Limmie career. She could use it as a bargaining chip. But that chip would have to be won the hard way.

And that was just fine with her. Nothing was ever won for free.

TAG: Vehn

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  13. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    OOC: Best of luck to Runner. May the best team win.

Nar Shaddaa
    282 Season Awards

Shady stepped out of the classy stretch speeder wearing a flowing evening gown. This wasn't her normal wear. She felt out of place, exposed, vulnerable, compared to her street clothes or even the uniform she wore as one of the most lethal forwards in the galaxy.

Flash bulbs went off like crazy, media droids zipped and zinged alongide the security escort that lined the red carpet leading into the hall where the 282 Elite League awards were to take place. She waved and smiled to the fans who went nuts at her arrival. Shrugged off the boos that came in from those who clearly didn't like her distinct personality. She didn't mind the negative waves. She was used to taking far worse in the stadiums of rival teams across the galaxy. This was nothing.

Shady brushed past the media. She wasn't one for talking to the beat reporters or the entertainment columnists. She hadn't actually wanted to attend the award ceremony but Coach McCloud insisted. It was good PR, McCloud had said. The Smugglers could use that right about now. Anything to generate an advantage in the upcoming Final against Ralltiir.

The award ceremony commenced and was hosted by that red haired comedian Corran Ostaren. Shady had to admit that he had a few good jokes up his sleeve. She got a chuckle out of his interactions with Lokensgaard. The Commissioner could use someone like Corran Ostaren around. At the very least to lighten the mood.

The first award, the Ingbrand, went to Martia Paak. Shady stood and roared as Paak gingerly took the stage following her medical rehabilitation in the game against the Mercs. She made a quiet yet moving speech to the crowd and held up her award with a big smile on her face. The kid had turned in a ridiculously good year as the forward for the Smugglers for most of the season and had been instrumental in filling in her replacement, Shae Bellweather, during the Smugglers whirlwind run through the post-season and into the Final.

Shady was surprised when the Comeback Player of the Year Award nominees were announced. She hadn't thought to be in any category let alone one such as this which had gone to some notable names in the past. She had been invited to the ceremony to put on a good face for the league, for the Smugglers.

When her name was called she didn't immediately stand up. She was in absolute shock. Leigh Cavanaugh had put in an incredible season as had Alyda Hovechar whom she'd be playing in the Final pretty soon. One of them should've won. Not her. This was surreal. This was absolutely unbelievable.

Shady took to the stage and accepted the award from Corran. She leaned in toward the microphone which gave off a bit of a squeal due to feedback. The crowd groaned.

"Sorry," Shady said with a smile, "but I'm not sorry that I won this award! All of you have had a nice hit put on you by me. I won't deny I play dirty. I won't deny I've earned some of the fines that have come my way. I play as hard as I do for a reason. Because I love this game. Because this game gave me such a fulfilling life. I appreciate the people who voted for me. Those who didn't, well, your loss. Thank you for this award. This is for my sister, Jaeda. She's the only family I have left. Jaeda, this is your award for everything you've ever done."

Shady held the award high above her head as a splattering of cheers and boos erupted from the stands.

Time to focus on the Final.

Six Boroughs Stadium, Nar Shaddaa

Road whites.

Shady had grown accustomed to the uniform. It become a symbol of strength, a symbol of solidarity, a symbol of luck for this most improbable of title runs for the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. The "C" stitched on her chest was a badge of honor for her. Never in her title runs in '76 or '78 had she had the privilege of leading the team. This year had been special. Real special.

She extended a gloved hand and brushed her fingers past the jersey of Rhia Grames. The fabric was faded and tattered and had seen better days. Had seen championship days. Shady was well aware of the mystique surrounding the jersey of arguably the greatest Smuggler player to ever bleed burgundy and black. It was a gesture of respect. It was a gesture of faith. It was a gesture of the Smuggler Way. It was tradition.

"Good luck out there," Mylessa McCloud said. "Watch out for the Starkiller defenders. They're going to get chippy. Kelly Telaam's crew is out there too. They won't tolerate the usual bag of tricks. I can't help you if you get caught."

"I won't," Shady grunted as gave McCloud's hand a squeeze. "Not this time."

"Wearing number 16, Left Corner Forward, Shady Lerouex!" the announcer boomed.

Shady tore out of the tunnel pumping her fist and gave out a roar. The crowd gave an enthusiastic response of their own to the local girl who'd gone from rags to riches. She had never felt so good for a game in her life. Everything was ahead of her. A solid contract. A shot at limmie history. A chance to immortalize her name for all time. A chance to silence her critics. A chance to show just how far someone from the slums of Nar Shaddaa could go.

[​IMG]

She stretched her arms out wide as she ran toward midfield. Peter, "Maverick", Mitchell, the stoic Chiss Tom "Iceman" Kaz'ansky, Sa'Akhuun, veteran Shae Bellweather who'd been a steady replacement for Martia Paak, and Mick Steele greeted her with high fives and slaps on the back. They were a group that was a mix of steely eyed veterans and high flying young bloods. Shady knew they were ready. She could see it in their eyes.

Shady looked across the skull and blasters midfield logo at the Ralltir Starkillers. They had gone the distance with Hapes last year in the Final. That had been a thriller right down to the wire. The Starkillers matched well with the Smugglers. The media had made a big deal about the week one game that the Smugglers narrowly won in second overtime. She didn't care what had happened in the past. Today was a new day. Today was a day to put away the defending champions. Today the Starkillers were playing in her arena and Shady was going to remind them of that fact every second.

She studied Ty Allin and give him a brief nod as their eyes locked. They would be dueling today. Dueling for history. Dueling for Limmie glory and all that mattered about the beautiful game. She tore away from Allin's intense gaze and examined Noah Till, Manta Se'o, Alyda Hovechar, fellow 282 award winner Kara Sureysh and finally Bat Vigo. They were ready to go. This game wouldn't be easy.

The best games never were.

Shady turned and whistled drawing her team in around her. She was their leader. All eyes were on her. All the hopes and dreams of the season were channeling in her direction. She couldn't let them down. Not today. No, she was going to fight to the bitter end. Victory or defeat she was going to bring her best game against Ralltiir.

Shady tapped the "C" on her chest and yelled out, "This season I asked you to follow me into hell itself! I asked you to stand by me! You stood by me when we destroyed Hapes! You stood by me when we obliterated Carratos! Now I'm asking you one last time to stand by me and give me everything you have as we turn our attack on Ralltiir! Some of you remember what it was like to play Rydonni Prime in the Finals of '76 and '78! Forget what you know and forget what you've heard. This team is serious. They want this one just as badly as we do. They want a chance to destroy us at home! Are you going to let them?"

"No!" the team roared.

"What are we going to do?" Shady cried out.

"Destroy them!" came the reply.

"This is our house. This is our stadium. This is our city. Many of us grew up in neighborhoods and streets not far from here. Many of us dreamed under the shadows of Six Boroughs. We grew up cheering on Tover Micjaa, John Huntington, Meredith Chambers, and scores of others who have come before us, and now a new generation arises to watch us battle Ty Allin, Bat Vigo, and the Ralltiir Starkillers! Don't let them down. Please don't let them down."

A silence descended on the assembled Smugglers players.

"Most of all don't let yourselves down," Shady said. "This team means so much more to me than I can ever express in words. Thank you, all of you, for battling this hard and this far. We've got one more battle to go. We've got history to make. Whose with me?"

"I'm with you," Erin Windreaver said.

"As am I," Mick Steele said.

One by one the team drew closer togethere. They were more united now than they ever had been before. They had one purpose. One goal. One mission.

"Take your positions," Shady commanded as the team broke the huddle.

Her heart was pounding, her blood was racing, her focus was like never before as Kelly Telaam and the officiating crew of the 127th Galactic Cup Final prepped the game ball for action. There was a brief shaking of hands at midfield between Smuggler and Starkiller players. There was respect between the two franchises. They knew each other well despite being in different conferences.

The whistle blew.

The civility and honor of the midfield exchange disappeared. In its place was blood, sweat, and raw emotion as Nar Shaddaa and Ralltiir fought for the greatest trophy of them all: The Galactic Cup of Elite League Limmie.

Tag: Runjedirun, Trieste,

14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    College Playoffs, Finals

36 Balmorra State University vs. Dac State University 31

Balmorra State repeats as Galactic Champions

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus potential for Thyferra (32) Druckenwell (28)

Futures Cup Finals

New Six Boroughs Satdium, Nar Shaddaa
    (1) Thyferra Force vs (1) Druckenwell Marksmen (26-2)

Congratulations to the Thyferra Force 282 Limmie Futures Cup Champions!

Tags: Jedi Gunny Vehn

16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

This should be one for the ages. Bonus potential for Nar Shaddaa and Ralltiir.

127th Galactic Cup Final
    Six Boroughs Stadium, Nar Shaddaa
    (3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers vs. (3) Ralltiir Starkillers (0-1)

Congratulations to the Ralltiir Starkillers, the 282 Galactic Cup Champions and first ever player team to repeat as champs!

TAG: Runjedirun Vehn

17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Ten years in the league and I had never played one that compared to this one. Shady Lerouex, “Maverick” and appropriately named Mick Steele knew how to hit and they hit hard. My mind told me to go after the player with the ball. I had my mind solely focused on knocking the ball loose from Shady’s grip on the very first Smuggler possession. I ran full speed at Shady only to be intercepted and knocked down hard by Mick Steele. It was the first of countless times my head smacked into the turf this afternoon.

Our keeper Cliff Tuff was poised and ready. When Shady made her shot he dove into the corner of the goal and stopped it cold. I bounced up ready for more. I got more. Hit after hit. Some hits I made some hits I took. My knees were bruised, my elbows were raw, my hair was tousled, forget tousled it was a complete wreck and there was a ringing in the back of my head. It was only half time. The score was still 0-0 I ran into the locker room full speed as to not let anyone know how I really felt.

Everyone in our locker room had a bruise or ten to show from the first half. No one wanted to sit on the bench for even a minute of the second half. This was the game we had signed up to play. This was the Galactic Cup Final. Coach commended us on our first half play. He didn’t bother to ask how we were feeling. He knew none of us was going to voluntarily admit that our backs ached or in my case that my big toe might be broken. We could tape that up after the game. I’d have months to heal after this was over. Tomorrow’s worries would be left for tomorrow. Today we continued our fight for a second consecutive Galactic Cup.

In the case of one player Cliff Tuff it would be his first Galactic Cup. The way that rookie protected our goal you would have thought he had been back there on this level for a lifetime, not half a season. His performance was miraculous. No one in the history of this game has had to dive, jump and block so many attempts on goal. The Smugglers forwards were relentless. As the game continued without points they became more and more determined to score. Balls were knocked back towards that goal at speeds measured over 145 kilometers per hour. Cliff got in front of every ball. Some of them knocked him on his face, but he didn’t let anyone of them into our goal.

He never got up slowly either. None of us did. As the second half lingered we were in so much pain we simply didn’t feel it anymore. The minutes ran down to single digits. Our offense began to fire more rapidly. I had a feeling we could get a point before the end of regulation. A ball was passed in my general direction. It was meant for Shady Leroux, I cut her off and held tight. Noah Till brought her down. Leo Fostiir made a crushing tackle and made short work of Steele, Dev Poletin took care of Maverick for me. I had a clear lane. I dribbled up to midfield. Hovechar got free of her man and made a clean catch. She raced that ball up to our front line. Vigo waved. He wanted the ball. Hovechar looked at her options. Sureysh was open. Hovechar made the pass. Sureysh put the ball through the uprights. It was a thing of beauty right down the center.

There were only thirty seconds left on the clock. The Smugglers couldn’t even get the ball past midfield. Manta Se’o made the final interception at the buzzer. I threw my arms in the air. I looked into the crowd. There was so much noise. Noise in my head from the hits, noise from the crowd, noise from teammates celebrating. I watched unable to move as my teammates began to jump for joy around me. I felt a furry arm on my shoulder. Dev asks if I am okay.

“I’m good, stunned, but good.” I smile. We won. My body hurts too much to jump, but I finally manage to put one foot ahead of the other and head towards the sideline. I take a cup from Tomas and gulp down some Gundrarkade. Moments later I throw it back up. Everyone is too busy celebrating to see. I nearly fall to my knees. I have to stay upright. I am getting dizzy and the sight of Kara Sureysh accepting our Galactic Cup from the commissioner is nothing but a blur.

I make my way to the locker room. I’m the first one there. I want to sit on a bench, I just need to sit down for a minute. I don’t make it I collapse to the floor and black out.

IC: Lucie Vigo-Allin

I turn my head and look the other way as Ty takes his first hit. He falls to the turf and his head bounces off the grass. I’m afraid he won’t get up. “Why aren’t you watching the game?” T.J. asks.

“Did your father get up?” I ask not even caring if he understands why I would ask such a thing.

“Of course. Daddy isn’t a wuss, mom.”

It’s not the time for lessons. I make a note in my mind to sit my kids down and tell them the dangers of Limmie. One day when their old enough I’ll even show them footage of that game on Bakura when their father was taken off the field unconscious. I wasn’t going to tell my kids they couldn’t play Limmie, but they would know the dangers. As the game went on I found myself bouncing my leg, biting my nails and even eating T.J.’s nachos to help with my nerves.

No one scored and Ty kept taking hits. Each time he got back up I tensed more. I just wanted him out of the game. I didn’t know how much longer I could take this. My mom reached for my hand. “For better or worse,” she reminded me.

Then it happened with less than a minute left in the game Kara Sureysh scored a bar point. I forgot about the hits and celebrated with my family. We all exchanged hugs and high fives. Thirty seconds later we were celebrating again. Security gathered us and helped break a path through the crowd so we could be allowed into the locker room to celebrate with the team. T.J. ran ahead as we closed in. As I rushed to join him he came running back in tears. “Help, Daddy.” He managed.

I ran into the locker room. At first it appeared to be empty. Then I noticed a pile of clothes on the floor next to the bench, no not a pile of clothes. It was a human, it was my husband, crumpled on the locker room floor; he was out cold. “Ty,” I called desperately kneeling next to him. His chest was moving up and down. He just wouldn’t wake up. Afraid to move him I ran out onto the field to find a trainer.

A minute later, maybe less I was pulling the trainer into the locker room. My mother, Georgia and Ty’s mom had the kids corralled on the other side of the locker room. My mom was entertaining the children. Distracting them with live footage of the celebration outside. Two more trainers came in and they slowly turned Ty over on his back. I was pushed away as they began to hook him up to monitors.

T.J. appeared at my side, “What’s wrong with daddy?” He asked.

“Your father played a difficult game today. He took a lot of hits out there today and he’s really tired,” I say. “He’s just taking a nap. His body needs rest.”

“What are those beings doing to him?” T.J. asks pointing at the trainers.

Several players come rushing in. Word must have reached the field that Ty has passed out. Or maybe someone finally realized he wasn’t on the field celebrating. Trainers push them back. A cart is pulled into the locker room and Ty is loaded on it. I’m told which med center they are taking him to and I am offered to ride along. My mom takes my boys and I hop on the vehicle with Ty. I don’t even notice that my breasts are leaking onto my shirt.

Once we get to the med center Ty is taken to a private room. I sit outside until my mother arrives with baby Cammie. I feed her immediately and accept a clean shirt my mother has thoughtfully brought with her. Finally a doctor arrives with news about Ty. “He’s going to be just fine,” she says. “Your husband has suffered a few broken ribs, a broken toe, lots of bruising and a fairly severe concussion. He has come to and he’s asking for you. Do you want to see him?”

“Of course,” I say nodding my head. She leads me down the hall to Ty’s room.

I open the door and he is lying on his back. He turns his head to see who is coming. When he sees me he smiles. It’s that carefree beautiful smile of his. “Lucie,” he says.

“Ty,” I return. “Are you okay?”

“Just banged up a little,". he says. It’s obvious he can’t even sit up. “We won,” he reminds me smiling again. “I didn’t even have to do a press conference.”

Not yet. I think. I wonder if the press as figured out where Ty is. They have to know by now, they must be camped outside the med center. I feel for my mother and Coach Till who have surely had to fend them off. I’m at Ty’s bedside now. I see a bruise on his chest and pick up his gown to see how bad it is. His entire chest is purple. I gasp.

“Broken ribs,” Ty confirms. “They’ll heal, besides with the pain meds I should be ready to fly home tomorrow. Doctor says I can be in the parade and everything. 100% by the beginning of training camp.”

“No.” I say firmly. “You made a commitment to me. You made a commitment to being a father. I need you. T.J. needs you. Ezra needs you. Cammie needs you. You won’t be any good to us paralyzed.” I want to add or dead. I can’t get the words out, the thought is too awful.

“What do you want me to do Lucie? Retire?” He says as if the notion is ridiculous. “I’m only 31.”

“You can go into coaching,” I encourage. “It’s what you always talk about. Coaching at the secondary school, or if you’ve changed your mind on the professional level. I’m sure Coach Till can find a place for you on the coaching staff.”

“I meant when I’m old, like 40,” he says.

“Ty if you want to come home with me. If you want to share my bed and live in our house you have to promise to retire from playing. I won’t sit and wait to hear if you are going to wake up again. I won’t do it, Ty.”

“Can we hold the announcement until after the parade?” Ty asks. His shoulders slump a little I can see even in his state lying down that he doesn’t want to agree.

I nod. I smile for the first time since finding him in the locker room. I kiss him on the cheek and tell him to get some rest.

A few hours later I take T.J. and Ezra to see their dad. He can sit up in bed at least, but he’s feeding through a tube. “What happened daddy?” T.J. asks.

“I got so caught up in winning that Limmie game that I forgot to drink enough water,” Ty explains to T.J. “I also got hurt more than once out there and instead of telling anyone I kept playing through the pain. My body hurt so much by the time it was over that my brain decided to nap for me,” Ty explains.

“Don’t do that again.” T.J. tells his father. I laugh despite myself.

“You don’t have to worry, Junior. I’m going to retire.”

“What’s retire?”

“It means I’m going to stop playing Limmie, at least on the pro level. You and me can still play in the park.”

“But why?” T.J. asks.

I wait for Ty to blame me. He doesn’t. “I won two Galactic Cups,” Ty says. “I think it’s someone else’s turn to win. Don’t you?”

T.J. takes a moment to think about it. “I guess.” He says. “Does this mean you will have time to go sledding now?”

“Yes.” Ty replies.

I am really drugged up for the flight home. I sleep soundly. The next morning I take more pills and board a speeder in front of my house. The speeder is topless and we fly for the parade route. It’s decorated in orange and blue as I sit. Cliff Tuff takes a seat next to me as other speeders line up for the start of the parade. “Heard a rumor about you,” he says.

“It’s true,” I confirm.

“Won’t be the same without you.” He says.

“I won’t be staying away for long,” I promise. “I’ll be back to help in some way. Scouting, coaching, line painting,” I joke.

Our speeder begins to move forward and the streets are packed with the citizens of Ralltiir. I stick out my hand and shake with as many children I can reach. I smile until my face hurts, despite the pain meds. It’s the most glorious day. That evening I have the press conference.

“Sunday was my final game as a professional Limme player,” I explain. “I have had a better career than any guy could possibly dream. I thank the planet of Ralltiir for having me for so long. I have given you ten years of my life and now I have decided to devote my time to my family.”

Hands have been up since the words “final game” left my mouth. I know what they are going to ask. “I was taken to a med center on Nar Shaddaa for evaluation after the Galactic Cup final,” I explain. “My condition at the time was stable. I suffered from broken ribs, a broken toe and several small abrasions that one can expect to suffer from in a game of Limmie. My injuries did not lead to this decision,” I lie. With that I turn and leave the podium.

Behind the stage I hug my wife and kids. Lucie flies us home. We all soak in our hot tub and drink fizz. Retirement is good.

Tag: Vehn (Thanks to everyone for a hell of a season!)

Trieste, jcgoble3, Vehn and 1 other person like this.
  18. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    127th Galactic Cup Final
    Nar Shaddaa 0-Ralltiir 1

What a beautiful sight...

The thought was out. The thought was wild and uncontrolled. Perhaps it was fatigue. Perhaps it was her incredibly sore body, every breath a painful grimace, every exhale generating a bloody cough. At this moment she didn't care. All that mattered was the spinning bolo-ball soaring high in the air. Too high. Too high to be deflected. Too high to be a mistake. Too high to be her imagination.

Shady stared dumbfounded as the bolo-ball split the uprights with seconds to spare in the most grueling game of her career. A game she had no idea would be so heavily contested, fought so intensly, or leave her with a nasty concussion on a hard hit from Ty Allin. She insisted that she play through the ringing in her head, the swimming of her vision, despite warnings from the team doctors. She'd shrugged off their concerns and returned to the field just in time to see Manta Se'o pick off an errant throw by Zelena Wiles who'd heaved the bolo upfield in desperation.

She distinctly heard the buzzer go off. Heard the crowd roar. Felt the stadium tremble and shake all around her in jubilation. Had they won? Had Nar Shaddaa somehow pulled off a miracle? It had been one of those seasons. She looked in the direction of the offense, jerseys full of grass stains, looks of pained anguish and defeat etched on their faces. Something was wrong. She then allowed her eyes to wander to the sidelines where Mylessa McCloud had lowered her clipboard and quietly taken off her headset. Her dark hair fell all around her as she dropped her head to her chest, shoulders heaving up and down, she was crying.

Kelly Telaam walked by, the words tumbling out of her mouth slow and deliberate as she raised her arms and yelled, "Ralltiir wins! That's the game!"

We lost? Shady thought as she tried to clear her head.

The reality of the situation sank in as orange and blue confetti fell down all around her, peppering her hair, reminding her with every flash of the colors of Ralltiir that Nar Shaddaa had failed to win a Galactic Cup Final for the first time in 19 years. Shady recalled a distant memory from when she was a little girl. A memory of a time when she'd seen the Galactic Cup Final in 263. Nar Shaddaa had played Alsaken and lost to the Flyers by two points. She never could understand why her father had been so upset. Now she knew. Now she completely understood. The fans would remember this game but for all the wrong reasons. Losing on the greatest stage of them all hurt. Losing on home turf hurt even worse.

The midfield handshake was a blur. Shady barely remembered the experience. She trudged off the field and into the dark tunnel, the darkness a blessed relief from the bright stadium lights. Her head was roaring a bad one and her back ached like someone had taken a hammer to every vertabrae. She limped into the locker room and collapsed in the shower. Her clothes were still on but she didn't care. The drops of water beaded over her hair and dribbled down her bloody face and she casually watched as the sweat and grime swirled down the drain. She just closed her eyes and quietly said a prayer to the Maker thankful for her life.

She wasn't sure how long she stayed under that water. Long enough for someone to shut it off and help her to her feet. She rested against her temporary locker room while Mylessa McCloud gave a passionate speech about the game, how well they had played, how the defeat hurt, how they would be back, all that but Shady didn't care. She was done. The day was done. Ralltiir had won and there was no going back. Not from this one. She wanted the day to end. She wasn't sure she wanted to play the beautiful game again after this one. She was absolutely beat.

Shady dried off and got into street clothes. She didn't say much to her teammates on the way out. She ignored the team doctors who insisted on tests. She told them she'd be fine. She just needed to sleep. What else was there to say? She needed time and distance. This one had been rough.

Shady met her sister outside of the stadium and the two of them embraced.

"I did the best I could for you," Shady whispered.

"You're always a champion to me," Jaeda replied.

Perhaps it was a day worth remembering after all.

Tag: Runjedirun (What a game! Thank you)

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Ty Allin taken to Nar Shaddaa med center after the Galactic Cup final. He was not seen on field after the game
    • Team announces Ty's condition as stable and says he will make a full recovery
    • Ty Allin announces retirement from professional limmie
    • HSN Scouting releases draft rankings for 283 ELL Draft
    HSN Ranked Draftees
    Goalkeepers
    1. Regan Stargazer (Human, Female, Goalkeeper. Taanab A&M University)
    2. Ari'ann'emartell (Chiss, Female, Goalkeeper, University of Csilla)
    3. Aria Star (Human, Female, Goalkeeper, Takodana University)
    4. Orah Ormont (Human, Male, Goalkeeper, University of D'Qar)
    Defenders
    1. Victor Drago (Human, Male, Half Back, Enarch Technical University)
    2. Epona Equus (Human [Bakuran], Female, Half Back, UB Salis D'aar)
    3. Selene Bondi (Human [Bakuran], Female, Corner Back, UB Cape Suzette)
    4. Gretta Hardy (Human, Female, Corner Back. University of Ord Mantell)
    5. Slin "Slinky" Sly'ka (Bothan, Male, Corner Back, Kothlis National University)
    6. Wylla Sniider (Human, Female, Half Back, University of Ralltiir)
    7. Bosco "Buzz" Lightyeer (Human, Male, Half Back, University of Dantooine)
    8. Talia Sonaran (Human, Female, Half Back, Druckenwell Technical University)
    9. Rae Rice (Human, Female, Half Back, Chandrila A&M University)
    Midfielders
    1. Zeus Syndulla (Twi'lek, Male, Midfielder, Ryloth Agricultural and Technical University)
    2. Wylma Sniider (Human, Female, Midfielder, University of Ralltiir)
    3. Mar'gaery (Zeltron, Female, Midfielder, University of Zeltros)
    4. Eddie Ryder (Pantoran, Male, Midfielder, Atalanta University)
    Forwards
    1. Mar’grit “Cutty” Evers-Sark (Human, Female, Full Forward, Dun Breatann University (Carratos))
    2. Virgil Watters (Human, Male, Corner Forward, Brentaal College of Commerce)
    3. Jesse "The Cowgirl" Jalli (Human, Female, Full Forward, University of Onderon)
    4. Malcolm Black (Human, Male, Corner Forward, Vertical City University)
    5. Arther Flylow (Ithorian, Male, Half Forward, University of Tatooine)
    6. Ariel Taeping (Hapan, Female, Corner Forward, University of Grianaig (Carratos))
    7. Car’rick Adelaide (Twi’lek, Male, Corner Forward, Sunder College (Carratos))
    8. Woody "The Sheriff" Wakes (Human, Male, Half Forward, Cloud City University)
    9. Paxxton Linchpin (Zeltron, Male, Forward, University of Zeltros)
    10. Cardelle Jonas (Zabrak, Male, Forward, The Ord Sabaok University)
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422@Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    College Award Winners:

Ruy Gey Award for Best Goalkeeper:
    Regan Stargazer (Human, Female, Goalkeeper. Taanab A&M University)

Grazo Award for Best Corner or Full Back:
    Gretta Hardy (Human, Female, Corner Back. University of Ord Mantell)

Outlandi Award for Best Interior Defender:
    Victor Drago (Human, Male, Half Back, Enarch Technical University)

Batkis Award for Best Midfielder:
    Zeus Syndulla (Twi'lek, Male, Midfielder, Ryloth Agricultural and Technical University)

Bulitnekoff Award for Best Corner or Full Forward:
    Mar’grit “Cutty” Evers-Sark (Human, Female, Full Forward, Dun Breatann University (Carratos))

Lombardee Award for Best Interior Forward:
    Woody "The Sheriff" Wakes (Human, Male, Half Forward, Cloud City University)

Myxwell Award for Best Offensive Player:
    Arther Flylow (Ithorian, Male, Half Forward, University of Tatooine)

Remmiton Award for Best Defensive Player:
    Wylla Sniider (Human, Female, Half Back, University of Ralltiir)

Helmsman Finalists:
    Ari'ann'emartell (Chiss, Female, Goalkeeper, University of Csilla)
    Mar’grit “Cutty” Evers-Sark (Human, Female, Full Forward, Dun Breatann University (Carratos))
    Zeus Syndulla (Twi'lek, Male, Midfielder, Ryloth Agricultural and Technical University)
    Arther Flylow (Ithorian, Male, Half Forward, University of Tatooine)
    Epona Equus (Human [Bakuran], Female, Half Back, UB Salis D'aar)

Helmsman Winner:

TAG: Everyone participating in the Draft: Jedi Gunny Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja Trieste galactic-vagabond422 Vehn Runjedirun

Trieste, Vehn, Bardan_Jusik and 2 others like this.
  21. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt
    A month before the 283 ELL first year Player Draft.

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! from downtown Keldabe, on a cold, cold, cold Taungsday afternoon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you."

"Going over our production notes, just looking ahead, going to be a really really fun show."

"Shockball season in full swing...

"Man, those Concord Dawn Protectors are going at it full tilt."

"Great season from them so far, championship or bust but I still think they could use a little more muscle..."

"No doubt, doesn't help that their biggest threat to win it all has the best big man in the business."

"Well they play each other in a couple of days, should be able to kind of tell where the Protectors are there."

"Mid-season games don't tell you much Randy, you know that. It's not like in Limmie..."

"Oh and we got Limmie to talk about too."

"Big news, huge news really that broke yesterday towards the end of the show."

"That was, yeah amazing. And we'll have the man himself on later in the show to talk about it."

"Really, we got him?'

"Of course, it's the Rancor Pitt, we can get anyone we want."

"Oh wow, I knew K-Man was trying, glad we get a shot at him..."

"I'm the best."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Of course before that we're going to be talking draft..."

"Draft's only a month out..."

"Starting to get a sense of what the Mercs are looking for?'

"Well, I think I had a pretty good idea anyway, but yesterday's news really solidified it for me."

"Just one guy solidified it for you?"

"E-Yup."

"Wow, I mean I think we agree on what we need most, but the Mercs have some holes to fill here..."

"Some of those can be filled in by free agency, and maybe trades..."

"You all know how Vizsla loves to make a splash on the trade market."

"Made a big enough splash in the free agent..."

"Well almost free agent."

"...market yesterday, but yeah I see what you're saying. We did have some roster spots open up this off season."

"Biggest hole is at starting corner forward..."

"Which made last night's news all the bigger."

"Yeah it did."

"...because Kad Mereel announced his retirement shortly after last season ended."

"He was a good player, a really good player who got brought up from the Mercs several years ago now. He was a starter on the team that won the Cup in 279 and worked well under the shadow of Daryc and Arock, but never really found his stride as a dominant corner forward in the league. Losing him hurts us, big, but he felt it was time to go."

"Think he still had some left in the tank?"

"Oh, without a doubt."

"Then why?"

"I just think his heart wasn't in it anymore. I think for some of these guys..."

"And gals."

"...they are passionate...yes and gals. i think they're just passionate about the beautiful game, and as soon as you start paying them to play, it becomes ajob instead of something they enjoy."

"So now he goes off to blow things up for a living."

"Something he also said he enjoys and will now get paid for. Hey don't ask me to explain it, sometimes Mandos are a just a weird culture."

"Oh, going to get calls on that."

"Yeah probably, glad I fireproofed the house."

"Ha!"

"No seriously, I'm glad I did."

"Oh dear...so that hurts on on offense, an offense that was 4th in the league last season."

"Yeah, that one hurts."

"We also lost backup center halfback Galuf Draya who was unable to come to terms with the team and has opted for free agency."

"He showed starter talent in his first year in the league, but just couldn't break through that talented Mercs offensive lineup. He'll go make a lot of money somewhere."

"Not here though?"

"Mercs can't afford to pay a backup what he's asking, especially not after last night's news..."

"At least the Mercs kept Ariva Kendal, their starting left half forward. They signed her to a two year deal not long after the season ended."

"Yeah that helps us out a lot. She is a fantastic player who kind of coasts under the sensor screen. I was really glad to see her locked up for another two years."

"We resigned Gozer too..."

"That's at midfield..."

"Even if that was just to another one year deal."

"He only stayed because Ye'ves'toung finally decided to hang it up and retire."

"Man, she just never really lived up to all the hype I think. First overall pick in the 272 draft, winner of the Helmsman Trophy. She seemed to have trouble adjusting to the ELL game in some ways. Still it's sad to see her go, she was pretty good off the bench for us."

"Well Now Gozer gets his shot at that 2nd string role. He was the third string midfielder, and didn't get to see the field much at all. With Ye'ves'toung's departure he looks to move up into that backup role and maybe see more playing time."

"Unless we go out and grab a middie."

"Syndulla?"

"Helmsan trophy winner, the man's got what it takes."

"Yeah, but we have a pair of pretty good starting Midfielders"

"Irvin is injury prone, and Mor'kesh is nearing the end of the line. Drafting Syndulla and having him sit behind them for a season ro two before Mor'kesh calls it quits could really benefit him."

"I don't think Gozer was planning on that when he resigned."

"Yeah, I doubt it either, but that might be why he hedged his bet and only signed for one year."

"That would be an interesting move for the Mercs, but I think you and I agree that what they really need is defense."

"The defense last season was horrible, just horrible."

"Second worst in the league behind only Kashyyyk, and they're out of the league now."

"Yeah, the defense needs improvement and it needs it now."

"Defense wins championships."

"That gets so over used, not going to argue we need a better defense, but really? I mean repeat Cup winner Ralltiir had a defense just barely better than ours last season."

"Yeah but the defense they player in that title game!"

"Just goes to show that with even just a little improvement on the defensive side of the ball the Mercs could have been in the playoffs instead of picking second in the draft for two years in a row here."

"Well they haven't done much on the defensive side this offseason just yet."

"Still in negotiations with third string defensive back Komodo Lecroix..."

"And they signed Mir'ka Kol."

"...and they signed starting half back Mir'ka Kol who managed to turn her one year rookie contract into a five year contract extension."

"You knew that was coming sooner or later."

"Surprised to see the Mercs put that much faith in her after just one season?"

"A little, but I think after missing out on the playoffs for the third straight year following winning the Cup for the first time, the Mercs are trying to buy a little bit of good will for the team by keeping their star players, present and future."

"Well they certainly accomplished that yesterday, the big big headline, the signing of starting corner forward Fu Arock to a massive seven year deal, the richest in franchise history..."

"Who we'll have on the show at the bottom of the hour."

"...who we'll have. Why do you keep interrupting me saying what I am about to say?"

"Because I'm a Jedi."

"Because you're a Jedi."

"Yup, see I even just did the mind trick on you."

"You did?"

"Yeah, you're repeated what I said."

"You're nuts."

"You want to give me a raise."

"I want to give you a raise?"

Laughter could be heard throughout the studio.

"OK, OK. ha ha."

"See?"

"You're not getting a raise."

"Why not? Arock did."

"He's worth a lot more to the Mercs then you are to to the show."

"Ouch."

"Truth hurts."

"Yeah...and it is true the Mercs have spent a ton of money to keep the primary mover in their offense, an offense that two years ago was tops int he league, falling a bit back to the pack this past season at number four...."

"You think that's a mistake for a small market team though?"

"Well, it makes sense to try to keep what you can, sucks that Mereel retired, but I mean the real problem with this team is the defense."

"Yeah, they need help, and so far it hasn't come via free agency."

"Which means they're going to have to look to trades and the draft then, and there are a few good players there that I think the Mercs could really use."

"Where do you think they'll look Justin, Goalkeeper, cornerback, halfback?"

"I think the best way to improve the leaky defense we had is to go out and..."

"Hold on a minute guys, we have some breaking news coming in from Taanab."

"Taanab?"

"Isn't that where J..."

"Oh no, please oh no. not again..."

"Yeah guys, we're getting word that the Pandath Police department has a PD gunship in the air looking for Johnnie Lieznam. Apparently he's missing and his girlfriend is concerned for his well being..."

"Holy osik!"

"It's always something with him...always something."

"I'm about fed up with it to be honest with you."

"Yeah, I'm sure the Mercs are too, I'm sure the Mercs are too."

TAG: No One.

OOC: More stolen from the headlines stuff with Johnnie Limme. And while he is the gift that keeps on giving, he's on the trading block now, but only for the right price. :p

22. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Center Half Back Galuf Drayan (Zabrak Male), formerly of Mando'ade, becomes a free agent
    • Teams gather for ELL Draft
    • HSN reporter on the scene: "Anticipation is high. Everybody's looking at 282 and thinking that they could find the player to put them over the top. Heck, Cliff Tuff, Numifolis Award winner, was drafted last in 282. Nobody's believing that the key to the next championship isn't here"
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik Runjedirun (who asked me to share that Tuff was indeed playoff MVP with everyone)

23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Carratos Pirates trade for Rydonni Prime Monarchs' first round draft pick in 283
    • Pirates send first rounders this year and in 284 to Rydonni Prime in exchange
    TAG: CPL_Macja jcgoble3

Vehn, Jedi Gunny, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Pirates hire Billi Ryeli (Female, Duros) to fill head coaching vacancy left by Kyril Lopaki's move to Courscant. Mrs. Ryeli was formerly the head coach for Dun Breatann University
    • Logan Manx-Sandin, current offensive coordinator for the Pirates, said in a statement, regarding his continued refusal to take on head coaching duties himself: "My position has not changed, I still believe that I work better as a coordinator not a coach. Stop asking, please"
    TAG: galactic-vagabond422

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Elite League Limmie 283: This Year’s Least Expected Big Event

(Because there’s one no-no word, no embedding for this season’s opening tune, which is still worth it.)

MandalMotors Hall, Keldabe, Mandalore

“Well, well, well…” the Commissioner said as he strode onto the stage in the historic venue. “Mandalore...we meet again.”

The crowd booed the Commissioner. “What? We’re starting the booing already?” Fenrir put his arms on his hips in annoyance as he looked at the crowd. “This is the Draft! Anything is possible! Why, just think about where we were this time last year! Did anyone know that the so-called Mr. Irrelevant, Cliff Tuff, was going to be the Numifolis Award winner? If that doesn’t prove that anything can happen at the Draft, then I don’t know what does.”

Someone got the Commissioner’s attention. “What? They were saying, ‘Woohoo?’ You need to work on your enunciation underneath those helmets.”

“We want the Draft!” the crowd chanted. “We want the Draft!”

“That makes two of us. Or maybe that’s more like two quadrillion of us given how popular the sport is,” Lokensgaard said. “I hereby begin the 283 Elite League Limmie Draft!

“The Coruscant Senators are on the clock.”

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 (even though he’s not drafting) Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.