main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential this week for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir.

283 Week 5 Results
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (20-5)
    Chandrila Patriots at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (21-26)
    Bakura Miners at Jakku Junkers (6-6, OT 11-11, 2OT 18-14)
    Coruscant Senators at Mando'ade Mercs (21-39)
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Ralltiir Starkillers (28-13)
    Carratos Pirates at Denon Demons (26-24)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

Vehn likes this.
  2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus potential for Atzerri (28) Tatooine (28) Concorida (28) Thyferra (28)

Week 5 LFL Results
    Tatooine Sandskimmers at Gallinore Firedrakes (17-20)
    Thyferra Force at Atzerri Bandits (10-15)
    Kamino Waves at Byblos Red Wings (24-21)
    Druckenwell Marksmen at Concordia Crusaders (23-11)

Tags: jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny galactic-vagabond422 Vehn Bardan_Jusik

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Wylla Sniider

Night After the Loss to Hapes

Dear Data Pad:

I thought I could just come home and get drunk. Somehow it’s not the same. I didn’t even finish my first ale. I miss Noah. I’ll be lucky if I have a job tomorrow. The water boy just stopped by. Can you believe it? Tomas Vigo flew over here with his freshly minted pilot’s license to tell me to shape up. The Vigo’s are a trip. This team really means a lot to them. I could tell it meant a lot to Tomas because of his father. The poor kid really misses his dad.

Sometimes I miss my father too. I’ve distanced myself from dad since he was sick. I’m too afraid to get close again. I’m afraid it will hurt more when I do lose him. That thought is changing tonight. Somehow I let Tomas get in my head. He was so passionate about how I represented his father’s team. I’m not ready to call my father just yet. I need to though.

I really should document how today’s game went. It was really bad. Noah just wasn’t himself. He couldn’t focus on the game. Points were getting scored all over us in the first half. Noah was supposed to be our leader. He wasn’t able to remember his left from his right and that’s all my fault. It was just before the half when Coach Till nearly lost his mind. The only thing holding him back was Coach Jul. She saved his skin today.

She also pulled Noah and I out of the game. We weren’t even allowed to sit the bench. She sent us to the locker room. I was still too angry to look at Noah. We sat facing opposite walls waiting for the team to come join us. Half time was miserable. Players asked us to settle our differences. Bat Vigo angrily kicked a ball up against his locker so hard it rattled the whole room.

Bat had scored two goals in the first half. Yolanda and Sureysh had bar points. The offense was doing their job. As a defense we were not contributing. It’s embarrassing. I got drafted in the first round and I failed my teammates today. I don’t even know what went down in the second half. I hear Kaat Stun played in Noah’s place and that she played really well. Our defense held better in the second half. I guess we were just down by too much. I’ll report to Coach Till’s office in the morning.

I should have read Noah’s message. I may not have believed all of it. I’m still not able to comprehend a man professing his love for me. Up until I met Noah the only time a guy wanted anything to do with me besides a friendship was when that friend needed “benefits”. At first I declined, then the pressure got to me. It’s always been miserable. I feel so used. I’m afraid of not liking being with a guy for the rest of my life.

If I am allowed to keep my job. If I am allowed to stay here I have to let Noah in. I have to try and make this work. Maybe I’ve been afraid of this relationship all along. I want it, but that doesn’t mean this isn’t scary. Signing off because Chow-Chow wants to cuddle. His love means the world to me tonight.

Two Days Later

Dear Data Pad:

I got up yesterday walked Chow-Chow and ate what breakfast I could. I was feeling really nervous so it wasn’t much. Then I gave Chow-Chow a big hug, told him I loved him and headed into the stadium. It was really weird. I knew something was up right way. Coach Till wasn’t in his office. I pulled you out of my pocket to see if I had a message. I was hoping it wasn’t a message saying to clean out my locker.

I did have a message. I was so afraid to open it. Turns out I was afraid for all the wrong reasons. Coach Till cancelled our meeting because Tomas was in the med center. He was in a speeder accident shortly after he left my house on Sunday night. All these questions ran through my mind. Was Tomas going to be okay? Was it my fault? Would Tomas be on our sideline again this season? Would he get to play Limmie again? Should I go visit?

I didn’t know what to do so I immediately rang my sister. She knew about the accident and she had already been to the med center. Tomas wasn’t allowed visitors, but she said Coach Till and Mrs. Vigo were warm and happy she came to check on him. She offered to meet me there and I accepted. I needed my sister. I couldn’t go in there by myself after what I did to the team the day before.

We walked into a waiting area hand in hand. When Coach Till saw us he immediately stood and came to approach us. “Thanks for coming,” he said. I immediately said I was sorry. Sorry about Tomas and sorry for my actions on the field. I’m not usually emotional, but I was broken up. Coach saw me tearing up and I shook as he pulled me in for a hug. He actually said that rookie seasons aren’t easy. He said he was honestly just trying to help when he asked Noah to be my friend. He asked me to forgive him.

I was taken back. This wasn’t about me. This was about Tomas. “How is Tomas?” I asked. I wanted him to know I wasn’t here for me. I was here for our water boy. The kid who cared so much for his father’s team that he took time out of his crazy busy secondary school work load and Limmie schedule to be there for us on game days.

Coach’s demeanor changed. He put his head in his hands for a few minutes. Finally he told me that Tomas was in a bacta tank. His legs had been badly mangled. His recovery would be a long one. Luckily Coach said he was in good spirits before he was dunked. His brother, the one who plays on our team now went through worse. Tomas is apparently confident he’ll play again. Coach is worried that Tomas has no idea how long that road will be and he’s more worried that Tomas is over optimistic.

Bat’s stomach wound was superficial. His face was what was really suffered from most of the damage. Today the only real evidence of his ordeal is a prosthetic eye. Coach thanked me again for coming and told me I could go home. He said we’d hold practice tomorrow. Jul would most likely do most of the coaching this week. I asked if he’d seen Noah. Coach told me one thing, “Give my nephew a call.”

I was really numb when I left the med center. My sister followed me home. I didn’t feel like eating, but she made me a shake and made me drink it. Then my sister and I went for a run. I always say I hate running and I do, but for my sister it’s therapy and she was trying to be helpful. We talked as we slowly jogged the streets of my neighborhood. When I got home I was ready to call Noah. As soon as he answered I broke down. I don’t know how or why but I told him I loved him and asked him to please come over.

My sister left because she felt uncomfortable being there and I just sat on the sofa snuggling with Chow-Chow until I heard his speeder in my driveway. We talked, we snuggled and we did more. It was much better with someone who had real feelings for me. I would be at peace now. If I wasn’t worried about Tomas.

Noah slept here last night and we went to practice together. Coach Jul was our only coach today. Bat Vigo addressed the team and told us that his brother was being pulled from the bacta this morning. He said he was going to the med center this afternoon, but he wanted us all to know he was committed to this team and winning on Sunday means everything to him.

Practice wasn’t like usual. No one was really in the spirit. Kaat was our savior. She told us all to stop moping around and figure out how win this game on Sunday. Kaat is right. We need to win this game. It’s all about winning for Tomas. I also remembered that I need to call my dad. Noah was looking at me after practice. I told him I wanted to spend time with him, but that I had to take care of something first.

I raced home and called my father. I told him about how the loss on Sunday was my fault. My father said that was nonsense. I told him that I loved him and I wanted to see him at the game on Sunday. He said the locals would miss him at the bar. He said he and mom are celebrities now. I told him he could come stay at my house. Of course he accepted, so I better try and find the floor under all these dirty clothes before my parents get here.

Day Before the Patriots Game

I finally got to see Tomas yesterday. He’s struggling. He wants to go home. The staff at the med center is willing to let him go, but his mother thinks the care he is getting there is best. There are physical therapists that help him walk in the hallways. He has to use a walker and Bat says he only takes a few steps on each outing. I’m really going to miss him on Sunday. Ty Allin has decided to come be the head water boy. That should be, well interesting. He’s been to see Tomas a lot. He was at dinner tonight and he said winning won’t necessarily help lift Tomas’ spirits.

He doesn’t want us to feel pressured to win for Tomas. He wants us to win for us. Tomas will get better over time. As a team we need to heal as well. It’s been a rough season on the scoreboard. We can decide to make a change anytime we want. That’s what Ty said. My parents were at dinner. My dad sat on one side of me and Noah on the other side. I think Dad likes Noah. He says I picked a good guy.

Dad wasn’t so keen when I told him I was staying at Noah’s tonight while he and mom used my house. Still at least my parents realize that I’m an adult now and I am capable of making my own decisions. So here I am at Noah’s condo. I’m not sleeping on the sofa tonight. This is going to be a good night.

As for tomorrow’s game against Chandrila, I’m ready. I won’t be messing around this week. We will not fall to a winless club. Not on my watch.

Tags: jcgoble3

Vehn, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Tomas Vigo, longtime water boy of the Ralltiir Starkillers suffered severe injuries in a speeder accident after game against Hapes
    TAG: Runjedirun

Vehn and Runjedirun like this.
  5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! from downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm victory afternooooooon! Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you."

"Start of a big, big week Randy. Big week."

"Damn right it is, Mercs won again, which is always great."

"4-1 on the season, best offense in the league, third best D. Things are looking up for them right now."

"At least on the field."

"Can we not?"

"Going to have to get to it eventually..."

"I know, but like I said, it's a big week for the Mercs, they have a tough game coming up at Bakura."

"Best offense meets the best defense in the league."

"Real irresistible force meets immovable object type stuff there."

"Plus its the Mercs first road game since opening day when they beat defending champs Ralltiir."

"Yeah the scheduling gods were kind to the Mercs early this season..."

"The situation on Carratos helped there, but yeah."

"They even get another three home games in a row after coming back from Bakura before ending the season on the road for the final two games."

"The home cooking has served well for the Mercs, 4-1 right now."

"Yeah but its still a tough conference, every team except the Pats who are having another deflating season, are above .500 right now."

"Shades of a couple years ago."

"Just hope this one ends better for us..."

"Yeah no kidding. Still, on a happier note, it's not like the Meshla Vhetin is going to be sitting empty this weekend, with the ELL folks away on Bakura, the beautiful field will play host to the KMI Warriors as they take on the Golden Bears of UB Salis D'aar in a big non conference matchup."

"A couple of undefeated teams squaring off, that's why they moved the game from Fett Field on the KMI campus out to Meshla Vhetin, the winner here will have an inside track to a playoff berth I think. Though barring major collapses by either I think they both make the college post season anyway."

"We'll see, we'll see. Going to be an exciting game either way."

"Yeah it will, and it just kicks off the weekend for us."

"The Miners, just like the Bears, are a surprise team in the limmie this season."

"They are just tearing up the league, and I don't think anyone saw that coming what with their labor issues and all."

"I think it should give pause to all those front offices out there spending millions of creds for virtually nothing, I'm looking at you Chandrilla. this new Bakura model could be the new way in the ELL."

"If it lasts, I mean they've just played a half a season...not even...this way..."

"Still undefeated, has to count for something."

"...and upturning years, decades, of ELL experience will take a lot more than half a season. And yeah, you're right, it does count for something, it means they're undefeated right now, and over there in the Solo that means they are really in the driver's seat for a playoff berth, because the rest of the Solo is just doing horribly right now."

"How much of that do you think is teams underestimating the Miners?"

"That could be some of it, really a lot of it. but I don;t think that tells the whole story."

"You don't?"

"Nope, just look at this past weekend, the Senators were having all sorts of problems defensively..."

"I think you can credit the Mercs offense there, Jaing and Arock..."

"You just got Arocked!"

"...were really kicking shebs out there."

"They were, they were, but i think the Senators defense was still a bit out of sorts. they don;t seeme to have gelled yet under their new defensive co-ordinator."

"Their offense is coming along, I know they got outscored pretty badly, but..."

"Yeah, it was a nice balanced attack, it just couldn't keep up with the numbers Arock..."

"You just got Arocked!"

"...and Jaing were putting up."

"Our defense was getting just enough stops too, Rice still isn't letting the off the field..."

"Nonsense."

"...issues bother her...Nonsense?"

"Yeah, it's all nonsense. Nothing concrete here and yet some people still think it's some sort of 'issue'."

"Well it is still an issue, she hasn't answered any questions..."

"An issue for you and the 'media' maybe, but not for the team, the League or the fans. Heck all the calls we got after this nonstory broke last week have been supportive of Rice."

"Well not all the facts are out, and if she won't talk to anyone..."

"Then it's a non story and we don;t need to talk about it either. Let's just talk about her play of the field, which was stellar again, especially for a rookie."

"I just..."

"I mean c'mon Randy, she's rookie of the year material right now and you're overlooking a great season from her so far on baseless accu...well not even accusations of anything, just rumors of 'something happening' back during the preseason."

"It's..."

"It's not fair, that's what it is Randy, it's not fair."

"Well...OK, OK. I'll drop it for now, but if the fans want to bring it up..."

"Why would they? We had a great win this weekend, the Mercs are beating up the ELL and we have huge games this upcoming weekend in both the Pros and college ranks, that's what everyone will be calling about."

"Well I guess we'll find out here in a couple of minutes, so stick with us, we'll be back in a few right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: Trieste, Jedi Gunny

Runjedirun, Jedi Gunny and Trieste like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Dash Stonlon
    Plutt Stadium, Niima Outpost, Jakku

Sweat poured off of Dash’s face. The Miner offense had ground to a halt in the sand. It was just a figure of speech (there was indeed turf in the Junkers’ stadium--though it had not been established whether the nickname “The Graveyard” was a reference to the stadium being made out of scrap metal from ancient, crashed starships or just a local colloquialism), but his team had failed to get traction against the cellar dweller of the Solo Conference. The daytime game had still been a scorcher as the Miners’ defense had shown up for their second straight game.

The species on the Junkers were the likes of which Dash had never seen in a limmie game. Dowutin, Tofalid, Onodone, Melitto, Teedo, Gabdorin, Narquois, Artiodac, Abednedo...Dash was pretty sure that the Junkers had players who were determined to show that they too belonged in the Elite League.

“Now, it’s not my place to criticize another man’s choice of wardrobe, but I can’t stand it any longer, Dash-o,” Roy Cardan exclaimed, “It’s probably 40 degrees centigrade out here and you’re still wearing that overcoat like it’s a Kamino monsoon. You must be roasting in that. Take the blasted thing off.”

“No way, no how, Roy,” Dash said, wiping his forehead with an already soaked handkerchief.

“That tells me there’s got to be a story,” Cardan said.

“Not exactly the time for that, Roy,” Dash said. The game was tied up 6-6 with a goal a side. “We need to make a push now or this game is going to overtime. The Junkers have subs. Low-level subs, but every one they’ve got is more than us. We can’t afford overtime.”

“Team’s doing their thing, as evidenced by the fact that you and I are both on the bench right now,” Cardan said. “Fess up. What’s the story?”

Dash knew that Cardan was going to be like a vornskr and a bone until he told him. “This coat was my Ma’s,” Dash said. “She was Bergen Bay PD. Beat cop all her life--at least all I remember anyways. Standard issue coat for the force. Wore this thing in wind and rain every single day of her life.”

“And I’m guessing she didn’t give up that coat lightly,” Roy ventured.

“Nah, she didn’t get shot or nothing. But she got her cancer diagnosis right after I started playing with Evenvale. She used to joke about it. ‘Usually the kids go off to college and it’s the family pet that kicks the bucket. Guess we know what that makes me,’ she said. Didn’t find it so funny then, but kind of makes me smile now.

“I’ll be damned if she didn’t live out my entire college career. Went into remission. Even saw me play my first pro game. In person too. She was so happy for me. You would have thought I’d won the Galactic Cup then and there. By then the cancer’d come back and it moved fast. Died before my first pro season was over. Broke me up real bad, my Da too.

“I found the coat in the closet when I was going through her things, during an offseason. Pretty much lost it then and there. It was like this was the only thing left of her. All those beats on her feet, how proud she was of me, how much she loved me. It was supposed to be returned to the department after she died, but I never did. Technically, I’m wearing stolen property right now. I wore this coat to every single limmie match after she died and I’ve worn it during every game I’ve coached too. It could be 80 degrees centigrade out here and I’d still have it on.”

“If you told that story and left out the names, twenty credits would say that the average limmie fan would think, between the two of us, I’d be the one wearing stolen police property,” Roy chuckled. He put a hand on Dash’s shoulder. “Good for you, friend. Your Mom would be proud of where you are today. Coach of the Miners...that’s something.”

“Proud nothing,” Dash said. “She was a union woman her whole life. I’d be getting an earful for being a scab from her.” He grinned.

A discordant buzzer sounded, signalling the end of regulation. Dash got up and called the team over. He could tell they were tired, but he had to ask more of them today: 15 minutes more to be precise.

“Okay, huddle up, huddle up,” Dash said. “Take a knee. There’s still limmie to play. I know you’re tired. This heat isn’t helping. Jakku probably does this on purpose to get in our heads. Runners talk about ‘the wall.’ You run long enough and you hit it. But they also talk about breaking through the wall. You get to a point where you think you can’t go on--but you do and then you have this sudden reserve of energy. The moment you take your first step in overtime, you’re through the wall. Got that? That’s all you have to do and you’ve broken through. So just give me one step. One step. That’s it. Everything after that I promise you will come. Get some liquid in you and let’s do this.”

Dash could barely watch overtime. He didn’t want to say the words out loud. He didn’t want Roy to know.

In his entire career as a college player, pro player, and head coach he had never won an overtime game.

This was where his teams’ luck ran out, where their hopes came to die. The clutch game against the big name team with a conference championship on the line. The first round playoff game. Even the game that would save his job.

He knew the team was tired, knew that they had no fuel in their engines. He knew that Jorman Klute, the opposing head coach knew it. Klute had decided to lean heavily on his reserves, trading freshness for raw skill. Dash had been winning all season long with a team that individually was underskilled but collectively strong. He knew that Klute made the right move and that it became that much harder for his team to win as a result.

It was why he was unsurprised to see the Miners’ early lead in overtime evaporate. It was why he watched with dread as Inda Vergamis, with seconds to go in the half and a one point deficit, lined up a shot on Orlon Kandarar. The old being was in as bad of shape as anyone else. It’s why in 15 minutes the Junkers had put up nearly as many points on him as they had in the previous 60.

Vergamis shot--and missed.

But miss was a relative term. What had been a goal was not. It was a point over the bar instead.

11-11. At the end of overtime.

Double overtime.

Dash gathered the team again. Dr. Trieste was scanning every player with one of her medical devices. In some cases she was punching IV bags into their veins (or were they arteries? Dash hadn’t paid particular attention the last go around with biology) to get needed hydration into their systems. He looked at the physician.

“I’ve got to have everyone ready to go,” Stonlon told the physician.

“We’ve got some players who are starting to get on borderline dehydration readings,” May said. “Ethically, I don’t know I can allow Gloever, Alvar, Valen, or Carlen out there. We’re risking heat stroke.”

“I’m perfectly fine,” Carlen said jumping up...until he promptly sat back down, woozy.

May gave him a look that implied See what I mean?

“How much time before they can go again?” Dash said. The ELL didn’t want overtime games going too long. There was what basically amounted to a double commercial break between the overtime periods. As news got around on the Holonet of a double OT game there were probably sports fans switching over left and right to see the spectacle. They were probably making a killing in ad revenue right now, but they knew that fans wanted action more than they wanted commercials.

“I need 15 minutes for this stuff to hit their system,” May said.

“Fifteen? We’ve only got four before the second OT starts,” Dash said. He turned to his assistant coach and took him just far enough aside so they could speak privately. “We’ve got to find 11 more minutes or we can’t even field a full team. I don’t care how bad Jakku might be--there’s no way they don’t slaughter us with a four being advantage. If you’ve got any crazy ideas...well, now they’re not going to sound so bad.”

“You go streaking across the field. I’m sure you can outrun the security guards for about two minutes,” Cardan suggested.

“I’d like to not spend the rest of the season in a Jakku prison. I hear you don’t even get half portions in them.”

“Call in a bomb threat?”

“After Euceron, no way a bomb could get within a parsec of an ELL stadium.”

“Well, how many time outs do you get at the start of a new overtime? One? That’ll burn...30 seconds off.”

“Great. Once we use the remaining...three minutes and twenty seconds of this timeout we’ll only have to find another six minutes and thirty seconds,” Dash said. “Big help, Roy.”

“You said no idea was too crazy,” Roy pointed out.

“Okay, I’m going to have to do a Sepuin,” Dash said, girding himself.

“A Sepuin?”

“Yeah, Vandelhelm Jets coach Goreal Sepuin. Famous for bending the ears of refs and being totally outrageous and over the top,” Dash said. “Might get ejected, but if it buys us time, that’s the only play I’ve got.”

“You who are about to die, we salute you,” Cardan said.

Dash waited until the horn sounded, signalling the end of the intermission between overtimes before he trudged to the referees (in fact, it was the furthest referee away that he could find without being too obvious about it, so as to take up more time). Just walking across the field caused Stonlon to sympathize with his players. It was karking hot out here.

“Hey ref,” Dash called out, holding up one hand.

Then suddenly there were two refs. And then Dash fell over.

“Okay, he’s coming to…”

Dash blinked, the intense sun of Jakku right in his eyes. “Wha…”

“It’s okay buddy,” a voice was telling him. It sounded oddly like Roy Cardan’s. “I kept telling him...coat...stupid…”

“Isnaastuipdkoat…” Dash slurred.

“...heat stroke…”

“Imgudimgud.”

Someone was poking Dash in the arm with something pointy and he feebly tried to swat it away. Now they were lifting him. Things were starting to clear up just a little bit.

“Whashts happeppening,” Dash groaned.

“You’re gonna be okay, Dash-o. OK.” That was definitely Cardan, who Dash realized he was leaning against. “Doc’s got you hooked up to one of those nifty bags of the good juice. We’re just gonna get you over to the bench. By the time this overtime period is done you’ll be right as rain. Just fainted from the heat and that frigging coat.”

“Guess I need to drink my Gundarkade,” Dash said.

“You kidding? That stuff’s so filled with sugar that you wouldn’t believe it,” Roy said. He lowered his voice and whispered, “Bought us 20 minutes out there. Nicely done. Team’s ready to go. We got this Dash-o.”

“That was definitely not the plan,” Dash whispered back. “I want to win, but not if my heart’s going to pop out of my chest and I’m going to throw up.”

“That’d be the heat stroke,” May Trieste said.

Dash watched the entire second overtime period from the bench under the supervision of Dr. Trieste. Whatever it was she was pumping into his arm was good--or maybe it was the fact that the Miners had renewed vigor after their inadvertantly longer intermission. The Junker reserves couldn’t keep up with them as the Miners dropped two goals and a point on Jakku to earn the victory.

As the game ended, Stonlon was on his feet. “I feel fine,” he said preemptively, “Force preserve me if I don’t shake Jorman’s hand after this one.”

“No you don’t,” Trieste said, putting Stonlon’s arm around her. “As your doctor I am not letting you walk to midfield unassisted. You just collapsed on the field.”

“You’re not my doc, Doc,” Dash said, but not protesting as he was supported by the physician.

“I am until we get back to Bakura,” May insisted.

They didn’t even make it to midfield, for the Junkers coach bridged the gap to meet them on the way. “Jorman, what a game. You all gave it to us today. Nearly had us there in the first OT. Nothing to hang your head about here.”

Klute thanked Dash with a firm handshake--so firm Dash saw stars, maybe Dr. Trieste had a point--and then they parted. There was a press of reporters, but the intrepid doctor fended them off. “No questions, this being is under my care,” May Trieste said. “We’ll have a statement after the game. Make way. Make way.”

“Can’t do this to me Doc,” Dash groaned. “This was one of the most thrilling wins of my career!”

“Want to be alive for the next one?” Trieste retorted. “Let me do my job.”

“I feel fine,” Dash repeated.

“No, I’m not talking about the heat stroke killing you. I’m going to kill you if I don’t get you on an examining table in the next five minutes.”

“What happened to do no harm?” Stonlon asked.

“Force help us all,” Trieste grumbled.

But the Force had. Or maybe not the Force. Maybe it was just dumb luck. Maybe it was determination, skill, will. Who knew. The Miners were 5-0 with two conference wins under their belt just before the midway point of the season. If Dash didn’t have such a headache, he might have thought he’d died out there on the field and gone to whatever benevolent afterlife there was, because this matched what could only be described as his wildest dreams for the season.

In fact, Dash was so happy that he didn’t even realize that the next team the Miners had to play were the Mando’ade Mercs. That was a fact that would darken the horizon--tomorrow. Today was a day to enjoy a victory. Nothing could be sweeter.

Except a glass of water. Dash could really use one right about now.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik

7. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• League prepares for full slate of Monday Night Mesh'geroya games for Week 6
    • Bakura Miners confirm that head coach Dash Stonlon collapsed for heat exhaustion during game on Jakku
    • Team physician May Trieste certified that the resulting game delay was in response to a medical emergency
    • Stonlon has recovered and is expected to be ready to go for Week 6 home game against Mercs

Bardan_Jusik, jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  8. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Jaeda Lerouex

Royal Limmie Grounds
    Hapes

Jaeda had arrived early to get a feel for Hapes and the venue where the Hapes C-Bucs played: the Royal Limmie grounds. She honestly didn't know much about the matriarchal culture. She knew that in some ways women were venerated and ruled the planet but beyond that it was all a new experience for her. What she did like about Hapes was the way they were always changing. Things here rarely stayed the same. Just a few short years ago the C-Bucs were an all female squad. Now they were legitimate challengers in the ever changing Skywalker.

She had taken lots of photos, written a few short blurbs in her blog, but not really feeling inspired. It wasn't that the material to write was unavailable. It was simply that she was tired from the long shuttle ride out to the Consortium. She wondered how the Smugglers players were fairing. This game coming up was pretty important. The conference games always were. A win here would be good for Nar Shaddaa. A win here could get them right back in the thick of things.

Game Day

Jaeda had unparalleled access to the team now. Mylessa McCloud and owner Lilly Vehn had seen to that. That meant more publicity and exposure for Jaeda. She was just fine with that. The nudity in the locker room didn't bother her at all. She wasn't writing a piece on locker room jokes or pranks. She was writing a piece that gave the Smugglers the edge in the PR war.

"How do you like your chances today?" Jaeda asked Martia Paak.

"Now's the time to start peaking as we slip into the midway point," Martia replied, "but we've got a lot of tough games ahead. Notching a win against Chandrila was good. But we need to attack Hapes, Carratos, and Mandoa'de hard to sniff the post season again."

"What are your thoughts?" Jaeda turned to Zelena Wiles.

"The defense really needs to play as a single unit. We've got some young blood back there like Gretta Hardy and Victor Drago. They're learning the Smuggler way. I'd like to see us tighten down on the wings and adjust accordingly. Hapes is a good team to measure where we are at this year."

Jaeda killed the recorder. She left it at that. She didn't want the players psyching themselves out. Not before this important road trip. She sneaked out into the tunnel as the team took the field. It was going to be a unique match up. One that represented all that was great about playing in the Skywalker Conference.

She readied herself for the opening play.
    Tag: jcgoble3; (short but sweet)

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Mikia Sandin-Manx
    Denon

I'm resting in a hotel room after practice. I feel like I've been in a haze since the game against the Starkillers, nothing has felt right, and I'm not really enjoying training like I used to. I feel like I should do something, maybe turn on the holoprojector, try and find something to distract me but, there's nothing I want to do. I've been staring at the ceiling of my room for the past few minutes, maybe even an hour. I should just close my eyes, there's nothing to do. I begin to grab some more comfortable clothes when there's a knock at my door.

"Who is it?" I ask a little annoyed that someone would interrupt my boredom.

"It's Sylvanus." I open up the door to find the Balosar standing on the other side a slightly concerned look on his face. "Could we talk for a bit?"

"Not right now, I'm going to bed." I answer eyes rolling a bit.

"Really at 18:00? Little early I'd think."

"Practice took a lot out of me ok."

"You sure?" the left side of his mouth curls into an upwards, "Cause it didn't look like you showed up at all today."

"What do you want me to say?" I rub my eyes frustration mounting, "It's been a rough couple of weeks."

"I know, it's been rough on all of us." He pauses looking over my shoulder, "Could I come in, I'd like to stop talking though the door, please." I can see that he won't let this drop, as much as I want him to.

"Alright," I say relenting, "Come in," He nods his head as his passes. A long sigh leaves his chest as he sits in the chair at the far side of the room.

"So, how ya' doing Mikia?"

I feel my eyes roll nearly into the back of my skull. "How do you think, our home is under occupation, I'm cut off from all the people I love," I feel tears forming on the edges of my eyes. "Logan could be dead or worse, how can I focus on the game with all that going on, tell me, how?"

"Look everyone's dealing with the same things you are, and they are all going about it in different ways." He runs a hand though his coarse white hair, "Some are coping are better than others."

"Oh, and you think I'm not coping well." I'm indignant how dare he tell me how to grieve, how to deal with the feelings under my skin.

"You're coping by try not to feel anything, no joy, no sadness, nothing, because you're worried that if you feel any emotion you'll open the gate to everything. You're isolating yourself so that if you do break no one will see it. It's not healthy."

I feel a switch flip inside, suddenly the flood gates open, I can feel the pain I've been holding onto, the frustration, everything I've been afraid to feel came rushing forward, coming out as anger, directed solely at Sylvanus. "And what gives you the right to criticize me?" I don't even try to control my voice letting come out as loud as I can.

"Because," my teammate roars back, "This is how I cope, I focus on everyone else's problems instead of worrying about my own." His eye glare at me with an anger equal to mine. "Do you think you're the only one missing someone they love? My wife and son are trapped behind the line. Do you think I don't feel the same way you do? The pain of not know what's become of them, the frustration of not being able to do anything, it's tearing me up too. I'm helping you to help myself, to get my mind off the things I can't do anything about." His words hang in the air, full of anguish, the same anguish that is ripping my insides to shreds. Part of me knew I wasn't alone but, I didn't want help, I didn't want to show weakness. I feel like I have to be strong, if I break so will the team. After a few deep breaths the Balosar regains his composer. "I'm sorry, I might have moved to this too quickly." He rose and made a bee line for the door. It opens and he waits for just a bit, wanting to say something more but, lacking the words.

I lay back on the bed still reeling from the short lived storm of emotions. I don't feel any different but, maybe my outlook has changed maybe I don't have to keep the team from breaking because we're already broken.

I sit on the bench again for the Demons game, V taking my place once again. I don't know how she is coping with what is going on but, whatever it is it works for her. She glides around the field keeping the infamous Jinkins under wraps. I didn't expect it to be this close, I expected us to get crushed, and we nearly were, with the Demons getting out to an early lead. The tide began to turn when Tian made a goal. It is reminiscent of last season her and Leigh rush the net together, Tian's marker drifts closer to Leigh, still and offensive threat despite her taking a back seat to the two rookies.

This leaves Tian free to make a shot that sails over Vulf. The next play Vahava shuts down Jinkins and pass forward for Leigh to make her first goal of the game, by the end of it all the half forward will have a hat trick out scoring both the rookies and reasserting herself as the offensive leader for at least this game. Cutty and Ariel each score two goals, failing to achieve a hat trick for the first time in a while. At the end of the game Leigh pulls though to put us over the Demons in the final seconds of the game. I would be on my feet, if I wasn't still dealing with the malaise that hung over me.

Management kept us on Denon until the last moment wanting to spend as little time on Rydonni Prime as possible. All though it I can't shake this feeling, this crushing weight of emotions I don't want to show.

_____
    IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    O'Pahz, Carratos

I hear it again, the explosions the screams, the blaster fire. It's been a week and the scene still hunts my dreams. That horrid smell of burnt flesh and ozone, the taste of my bile rising in the back of my throat, I still sense it all. Worse still, I see that image almost every time I close my eyes. A green skinned Twi'lek in a gold shirt dragging herself towards a goal she'll never reach, a Pantoran in a blood stained uniform, a single yellow eye looking up at a sky he will never see again.

My eyes snap open feeling the sensation of touch, a hand on my shoulder. I lift my head to see Zara kneeling by my cot, eyes wide with worry. "You were screaming in your sleep again."

I take heavy heaving breaths, a cold sweat running down my face. "I saw it, the tower, the bodies," tears form on the edges of my eyes, "I hear the screams of the beings as they were cut down." I wrap my hands around my head just wanting to stop reliving that event wanting to go back to a time before. Wishing Mikia was the one by my side.

Warm arms encircle me, "It's ok, it's ok Logan." Zara's voice is calm even but, still hinted with sadness. "We weren't prepared for that, nothing could have." I don't resist just letting it happen. I know I shouldn't give in, that I should push her away but, I can't. I return the embrace holding on to her like my life depended on it. My heart is beating fast, pounding against my ribs. I wait, wait for the wave to pass, to let the emotions die down, let the images fade.

I pull away seeing her eyes in the dim light of early morning. They look tried like she hadn't slept. "You look tired Zara, you should get some sleep." I say propping myself up on my arms.

"I don't want to sleep, I don’t want to see that all again." For a moment I'd forgotten that she'd been though the same thing as me, that we'd both been thrown into the conflict and that we were unprepared for all that it would entail. It is one thing to know, it's another to experience. I knew people were going to get hurt I knew they were going to die, I just never thought I'd see it so close to me. I never thought it would be so horrible, so haunting. I see Howl stir a bit then return to sleeping. I turn pressing my back into the wall of our current hideout my useless legs hanging lazily off the edge.

"Looks like we've still got a bit to wait," I say with a smirk, "how's about we keep each other awake." She smiles a bit and joins me on the cot. Our shoulders press together and we start talking, quietly so no one could hear.

"So," I begin, "A nurse huh, how'd that happen?"

A subtle laugh leaves her, "Well in the beginning I thought I wanted to help beings, to ease their suffering. After school and getting into massive debt to pay for it, I found that being a nurse didn't pay well enough to cover my costs and pay for loans I took out. That mixed with the drudgery of the actual job took a lot of my joy, it was still fun, at times, occasionally I felt pretty good about what I was doing. Then things happened and I couldn't keep doing it, couldn't plaster on the smile anymore, so I quit." I open my mouth to ask what happened, but I swiftly close it, it's not my place to ask. "So," she says looking at me, "Paralyzed from the waist down, how's that happen?"

I smile a bit, "Well I was born with it, presented itself as a sort of temporary paralysis every now and again when I was young."

"Yet you still played limmie."

"Yeah, at that time it was controllable, and I could live my normal life with few interruptions." I let out a sigh recalling those days when I didn't have a care in the world. "I gave my all to limmie, maybe, subconsciously thinking I wouldn't be able to play forever. When I got signed to the Pirates I thought that would be it, I'd play out the rest of my career in a basement league. Never in my wildest dream did I think I'd ever get to play in the ELL, then when it happened, a weight settled on my shoulders. I knew my clock was ticking, that I had a limited amount of time to make an impact. Again I gave my all, struggling to overcome the skill gap that existed between us and the other teams. When I won the Salbukk Award I was happy but, still a little unsatisfied, I wanted to host the cup before my legs gave out. My disease had other plans it seemed, and decided to take my legs away before I could achieve what I'd wanted for so long." Another sigh leaves my chest, we nearly made the playoffs that year kept out by the barest of margins it still burned a few fans up but, we made up for it by winning the Commissioner's Trophy for the second time next season. I feel Zara's head rest against my shoulder.

"Was my story that boring?" I whisper softly, she needs her sleep. Soon I find my eyes getting heavy again. I let the lids close and rest my head against the wall. For the first time in a while, I don't see the battle, I don't see the bodies, all I see is a limmie pitch. It's a warm day the sun is shining bright. It takes me a moment to realize, I'm not sitting in my chair, I'm standing on my own feet. Off in the distance I see a figure in a black jersey, coming closer. The face becomes clearer, blonde hair, brown eyes, beautiful features, still the same as the day I met her. She extends her hand and I take it. I allow myself to slip further into my fantasy, it's all I have to hold on to.

TAG: No one

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Kala Fani Alaree

“It’s hard to explain,” Kala said as she sat on the bench, staring at the ceiling. The fan on the ceiling was rotating slowly, bringing down enough cool air to the otherwise-stuffy office. The man sitting in the seat across from her said nothing, just making a note on his sheet.

“I do not think it is that difficult,” the man said after a pause to scribble his notes.

“What do you mean?” Kala asked.

“Just go through what is troubling you,” her therapist said. “Only then can we unlock what is bothering you.”

“I get . . . I’m not sure if they’re visions, or nightmares, or what they might be . . . but . . . I keep seeing my father, like he is trying to communicate with me,” Kala said slowly, trying to go through everything that was in her head.

“Communicate?” the therapist asked. “This is not the Force, Ms. Alaree. You are not Force-sensitive, so we can rule that out now.”

“It’s hard to explain,” Kala said again.

“What are the nature of these visions?”

“I keep having thoughts about him . . . thoughts I cannot fully understand. Why am I having them?” Kala asked. “Why do I keep seeing him?”

“Grief does that to a being,” the therapist said, as calm and collected as ever. “It forces us to make the best of what is around us when loved ones are gone.”

“But that still doesn’t explain . . .”

“Tell me how these visions, as you call them, have proceeded in the recent past.”

“They started when the team was in training camp,” Kala recalled, “and I had my first one out of nowhere one night. It was strange. I could almost envision my father standing behind me, so close that he could almost touch my shoulder. It was very strange indeed.”

“Go on.”

“The first week of the season, I was fine. But the second week . . . the Ralltiir game . . . I don’t know what happened . . . I felt so depressed afterwards . . .”

“Was it about the game?”

“I don’t know. We lost badly, but . . .”

“But what?”

“No, it wasn’t the game itself. We didn’t play well. But the visions came back. I don’t know why.”

“From my opinion, it sounds as if you took a lost game too hard, and you overreacted . . .”

“I did not!” Kala said. “What I just said . . . came out wrong. I . . . I took that loss too hard.”

“It sounds to me as if you overreacted. A lost Limmie game is just a game, Ms. Alaree. You must understand that your team will lose games. And you must take them on the chin. Complaining about a lost game will get you nowhere except alienating others. There will be brighter days, but living in the past will get you nowhere.”

“I guess you are right,” Kala said, sighing. “I thought we were invincible, at least too much for my own good. And they are the defending champs . . . they stomped us . . . but I still don’t know why I had visions of my father after that loss . . .”

“I seem to recall losing another game after that. Tell me, did your distress continue after that loss?”

“Not as much. It was a closer game.”

“Not as much?”

“Ever since Week 2, I have had issues,” Kala said. “I had issues after that other loss. And these visions, they scare me.”

“Ms. Alaree, I believe I understand what is ailing you.”

“Tell me!” Kala said, sitting up in her seat. “Please, just tell me.”

“You are still grieving over the loss of your father,” the therapist said. “Even though you may think you are over his death, apparently you still have not moved on.”

“But how would that affect me now?”

“It is quite simple. You said your father raised you at an early age with the sport?”

“Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?”

“Everything,” the therapist continued. “Ms. Alaree, you said that you were once a Corellia Rebels fan. You and your father went to many a game on Corellia, and you found that the game put you into some sort of trance. Something only a fan could say, I imagine.”

“Where are you going . . .”

“My point is this. Your father raised you to be a Limmie fan. But you were devastated when the Rebels were demoted from the Elite League, as I recall. And that was about the time that your father’s condition came to light. Cancer, as I recall. Terrible disease. It was a slow, an excruciatingly slow and painful death . . .”

“Don’t remind me of my pain!” Kala shouted. “A part of me died with him!”

“And that is the same pain you experienced with the loss of your beloved Rebels from the Elite League,” the therapist said. “You associate the loss of your father with the demotion of the Rebels.”

“I still don’t understand where you are going with this . . .”

“Open your eyes!” the therapist said bluntly. “You want to know why you keep seeing visions of your father sitting on his deathbed in the slow descent into death? Because you associate it with a loss in the sport of Limmie, a loss that you found very deflating to your person. When the Rebels were demoted, you felt like the whole galaxy was ending. Now you have a Limmie team of your own, which you believed would put your past pain behind you and deliver you the Galactic Cup the Rebels never could. But in doing so, the team is the ultimate reminder of life before your father died, life when both he and you would go to games. And now that he is not here, you feel like there is a void in your life. So when your team loses, especially in a bad fashion, you tend to overreact because you feel like a failure. Feel like a failure because you feel as if it was your fault that your father died.”

Kala started to cry. “It . . . it’s true . . . all of it,” she said whilst sobbing. “I miss him so much.”

“The key, Ms. Alaree, is to let go,” the therapist said. Kala was still crying, and the man handed her a tissue. “I know it may sound difficult, but the reason you felt depressed that day was not because Ralltiir won a game, or the next opponent the week after . . . it was because you have not yet come to peace with your past. The loss was just a vehicle that caused you to overreact, caused you to lash out at yourself in a fit of anger at a perceived failure to save your father when in reality there was nothing you could have done to save him. And you need to understand that your new club should be your opportunity to clean the slate, so to speak, and to make a name for yourself. If you are afraid of living in your father’s shadow, feeling like his death made you weak, then you need to grow up. You are an amazing talent, Ms. Alaree. It would be a shame if you wasted it by living in the past and grieving about your father. You can honor his memory by being strong and letting him rest in the peace he surely would have wanted you to give him as he said those last words to you and took that last breath. Do not let his death ruin your new pursuits; I am sure he would be proud to know that you have a chance at a Galactic Cup.”

“That will be hard . . . so very hard . . .”

“Nothing comes easy in this galaxy. But promise me that next time Ralltiir, or anyone else, for that matter, bests your team, you do not overreact. You understand that your team was not the better one that day, and you move on to the next week. You have an opportunity here that most can only dream of, owning a team. And one that plays at this level, only 11 others can say that. Whenever your team loses a game, know that it was not because you were weak. Teams lose games. But do not feel discouraged about the loss. There will always be another game, another season. Instead of letting your father’s death hang over you like a pall, let his memory inspire you to greatness. You are already doing that in your company, so do it in Limmie management as well. I know you can do it.”

“I miss him . . . give me another tissue,” Kala said. The therapist handed her another tissue, and she continued to cry into it.

“Remember, Ms. Alaree, be strong. You can do this. Only the weak complain about things that are not under their control. And you are not weak. You are strong. You have skills. Now put them to work for you, not against you. Let Tuck’s memory be your guiding light whenever you feel lost or alone. If you can’t do that, I cannot help you. But if you can promise me to do that, then I promise you back that things will be better, that the grass will be greener on the other side. Can you do that for me?”

“Yes . . . yes . . .” Kala said, her eyes a little bit red from crying.

“Good luck the rest of the season, Ms. Alaree,” the therapist said as the young heiress was ready to leave his office. “I will be watching. And, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I am always here . . .”

He was abruptly cut off when Kala gave him a big hug. “ .. . for you,” the therapist finished.

“Thank you,” Kala said. “Thank you.”

Now it was time to make things right in her universe. The therapist was right; she missed her father greatly. But it had clouded her judgement. Ralltiir had been the dominant team that day. They were good, the model of team she wanted her Senators to someday match, if not exceed. The same went for Hapes, and the same for the Mercs. Her team had lost. But their season wasn’t over. They still had half a season to play, and were not out of it by any means. Plus, they were home this week against Jakku.

When she went into the office two days later, the coaches were having their walkthrough with the players. She watched the players go through their motions, but she had something to say to them. During training camp, the players felt somewhat distant, like they didn’t trust her. Many of them had worked under the previous regime, and they didn’t quite relate to the smooth-talking heiress. She was different, an outsider, a weirdo, a rich girl with too much money to her name. She wasn’t sure if she would trust her if in their position. She had to make it right.

“I have an announcement,” she said to the players when she got their attention. “I know I have seemed distant to many of you since I bought the team. Some of you probably feel like a woman like me is in no position to own this team. Maybe it’s because I have no experience at owning a professional sports team . . . maybe it’s because of my personality, or my money, or anything else about my background. It could be a lot of things.

But I just want to take this time to say that I respect all of you. Owning this team, for me, is a dream come true. I grew up a Rebels fan . . .” There were some snickers in the crowd; the Rebels weren’t exactly a hot topic right now in Limmie debates. “And they were my team. But I did not realize until now that . . . this is my team. It’s not just a business, but it’s a family. My father tried to instill that in me, but I didn’t understand it. Now that he’s gone . . . things changed. It has taken me years to get my head on straight. It’s tough to lose a role model like my father was to me. But all of you have similar stories, I am sure. Sacrifices you had to make, tough days you had to go through. I can relate, even though it may not appear on the outside. I am just as imperfect a being as any. So when I say that I consider this team to be like my family, I want you to understand that I mean every word of it. I may have bought this franchise out of vanity, because I wanted a team in the Elite League. I want to win a Galactic Cup. But I also wanted to feel like I belonged, like I mean something to this galaxy. And I did a rotten job of earning your trust in the offseason and in camp. I was distant, wrapped up in my own devices. I missed the writing on the wall that it would get me nowhere doing that.

I may be imperfect, but I wanted to tell you all know that I respect you as players, and as individuals. I want you to feel comfortable around me. I don’t know what that might entail, I don’t know if that makes up for your initial or ongoing distrust of me, but I want to fix it. I want to make things right. When my father died, I lost a part of my being, and it has haunted me to this day. But someone close to me said that I need to let the negativity regarding his death go, and just move on. Try to make myself better. So here I am. I want all of you to know that if you need to talk, my door is open. As your owner, I have to be there for you as players. Otherwise, we don’t build a winner here. I can’t be distant and expect to win. The fractured relationship between management and staff doomed my childhood team’s stint in this League, so I won’t let it destroy this team. Winning a Galactic Cup would mean everything to me, and it should to all of you, as well. Let’s make this a contending team. I will do whatever it takes as owner to help this team win, but only if you can entrust me with your loyalty and trust that I will make the right moves to help this franchise succeed. I can only do that if I am one of the family, not the absent-minded owner.”

There was plenty of silence from the players. Obviously this was hard for them to process; the pretty heiress was starting to pander to their interests? That was a new one, and many probably still didn’t trust her.

“Is there anything I can do to earn your trust? Anyone?”

Another pause ensued. A bead of sweat was starting to go down Kala’s face. Had she lost her chance to gain ground with the players? Was this whole soliloquy for naught?

“Buying us dinner would be a good start,” came a voice from the crowd.

“I can do dinner,” Kala said. “I will even make it myself. I just want all of you to trust me. I’m a terrible cook, but I will do it if that’s what’s necessary.”

“I don’t think that will be necessary,” Maximus Qorbus said from the front of the pack. “As long as you look out for our well-being as the first priority, that’s all we want.” Some agreements came from the crowd, especially the long-term veteran players.

“Consider it done,” Kala said, a smile forming on her face. But it wasn’t one of her slick salesmen-like smiles; it actually felt a lot more genuine than that. It felt real.

“I say we go to Dex’s!” came the obvious voice of Christine Gamble from the crowd.

“Yeah, the Diner! Let’s go!” said Laura Cellen, the backup forward.

“A diner?” Kala asked, bewildered. She had never been to a diner before. She had always considered the beings that went to diners as lower-class citizens and far below her standing. Now she had to go to a diner if she wanted to gain the trust of her team.

“Yeah, Dex’s is great,” came another voice.

“Let’s go! What do you say?” asked another. All eyes were now on Kala.

“Alright, let us go,” she said. A cheer came from the players. Kala was unsure what to make of all this; was she making the right decision?

“Look, if we’re going to the diner, you need to look the part,” Qorbus said. The equipment manager tossed him a t-shirt. “I mean, you can wear that fancy get-up there if you want, but if you really want to be a part of this team, I suggest you look the part.”

Kala put the shirt on over her blouse. It felt weird to have a t-shirt on, but she knew this was all part of the plan. She had to win over this team.

“Hat?” Qorbus asked, holding a hat up.

“No, I am quite alright with this,” Kala said, motioning to the shirt.

The trip to the diner was an experience Kala had never had before. Upon entrance to Dex’s Diner, she was bombarded by the sights and smells of foods that were, for all their fatty goodness, normal fare for the denizens of the diner. Gark S’rily, the Bothan Team President, was hailed as a hero upon entrance. “Hey Dex, looks like we got the whole team!” said one patron to the lumbering Besalisk behind the counter.

“Looks like we just scored the big one,” the Besalisk said. “Yo, kitchen! We’re gonna need some big orders filled tonight!”

Kala was wedged into the back part of a booth. It wasn’t the cleanest booth in the galaxy, and she immediately felt squeamish about it. But the players she was with felt at home here. Many of them were laughing and telling jokes, acting like this was their place. The food was fattening and probably not good for any of them, but they didn’t seem to mind.

“So, what do you think?” asked Selene Bondi, the rookie second-round pick who was sitting next to Kala on that side of the booth.

“It’s not exactly where I spend my time . . .” Kala admitted.

“But you have to admit that it’s a pretty killer place. Thanks for speaking to us,” Bondi said. “It may not seem like it, but I . . . I guess I should say ‘we’ . . . think you did the right thing today.”

“I know,” Kala said. “I know.”

It was getting dark outside, and Kala looked out the window on the far side of the diner. And she could swear that she saw her father as a shadow on the outside. He was smiling and gave her a thumbs-up.

“Thank you, father,” she whispered to herself. “I won’t ever forget you.”

Kala Alaree was a changed woman that day.

TAG: No One

NOTE: I wrote this post to above soundtrack, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to listen to a good musical score.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Honestly, this never gets old. :D

Seriously though, I'm stoked for Monday Night Meshgeroya! Bonus rolls for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, and Ralltiir.

283 Week 6 Results
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Denon Demons (22-20)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers (14-29)
    Jakku Junkers at Coruscant Senators (16-26)
    Mando'ade Mercs at Bakura Miners (27-32)
    Carratos Pirates at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (38-6)
    Chandrila Patriots at Ralltiir Starkillers (0-23)

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus potential for Atzerri (28) Tatooine (28) Concordia (28) Druckenwell (28) Thyferra (28)

LFL Week 6 Results
    Concordia Crusaders at Atzerri Bandits (9-27)
    Gallinore Firedrakes at Druckenwell Marksmen (10-8)
    Thyferra Force at Kamino Waves (25-21)
    Byblos Red Wings at Tatooine Sandskimmers (18-27)

Tags: Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Vehn Jedi Gunny

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! from downtown Keldabe, on a sunny but cool, Taungsday afternoon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you."

"Bad, bad weekend my man."

"Yeah, yeah it was but we still have a lot to talk about..."

"Please not the..."

"Don't see how we can avoid it, Rice played terribly and..."

"Yeah, it's a ready made excuse, I just...ugh."

"Hey the Mercs put up a good fight, that Miner's defense though..."

"They're good, really good. Never would have seen that coming. Still can't believe they're undefeated."

"Hurts even worse, what with UBSD handing the Warriors their first loss of the season."

"That was a close game too, much lower scoring at 7-6."

"That forward of theirs, I forget the name, man that is a hell of a forward. Scored six of their seven points..."

"Small hands though..."

"...and kept the Golden bears from their first loss of the season."

"All isn't lost there though, I still think the Warriors will be fine."

"You do?"

"Sure. I mean it's a loss, so it will hurt them in the polls, but its' a non-conference loss, so it won;t hurt them in the SEC standings. I bet they still get a major bowl bid..."

"Sweetner Bowl if they stay on top of the conference."

"...and a playoff invite."

"Think those two teams might match up again for the title?"

"That would be a great, great championship matchup, but you know what's funny, I was thinking the same thing about the Mercs and Miners after that game."

"Mercs have to stay in playoff contention first, that might be tough with the way the defense played..."

"They had... distractions."

"Yeah...guess we have to talk about it."

"OK, for those that haven't heard, or seen..."

"I haven't."

"You haven't seen it?"

"Nope, refuse to watch until I know more..."

"That's crazy."

"Is not."

"Is to... you know, not doing this. Anyway, for those that haven't heard a security holo from the Rice...incident...leaked just hours before the Mercs team shuttle arrived on Bakura."

"Yeah, loved all the vultures descending on that ambushing Rice with questions."

"She looked shocked, but frankly after watching the holo, she deserved it, and worse."

"Oh please."

"You haven't even seen it! I mean really. It's brutal, she is dragging him off a lift in the hotel and punching him in the face!"

"Maybe he provoked it, maybe he hit her first, we don;t know what happened."

"Oh come on."

"We don't, we don't know."

"Yeah and until someone starts talking we may never know, but from what I saw Rice needs to be not only suspended but kicked off the team, the Mercs don;t need..."

"Kicked off the team? We don;t even know anything!"

"You would know more if you would at least watch the holo!"

roughly an hour later.

"So what you're saying DeathWatcher from Concordia is..."

"Rice was obviously stronger than her boyfriend. She ended the fight before it could ever really begin, she should be commended..."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa."

"I just fail to see any problem with this, you should stop talking about it and get back to sports. What about the shock ball tourn..."

"OK, you're gone."

"You just hang up on him?"

"Yeah."

"He had a valid point..."

"No, he didn't, he... Let's just get to the next caller. Ok, we've got TrueFandalorian, from right here in Keldabe. hey trueFan, good to hear from ya again."

"Su'cay to you both, I've got to disagree with the previous caller, big surprise I know."

"Ha!"

"Ending a fight through extreme violence is one thing, that doesn't bother me, but you don't start there. Especially with no provocation, and we saw no provocation and especially against a defenseless foe. That's weak and without honor. Rice needs to be suspended until the Mercs can figure out what is going on..."

"What if she did nothing wrong, what if he started it?"

"Well, then nothing more would happen, but I don't think..."

"And Rice losses out on any development for the rest of her rookie season. That's not fair!"

"What's not fair is hitting a defenseless person, a weaker person, in the face repeatedly..."

"OK, thanks again TrueFandalorian, you're a true friend of the show. Next up we have the All-ProTector all the way from Concord Dawn, what do ya got Protector?"

"I'm just wondering, should the team step in before the league gets involved?"

"Oh, hadn't thought of that. The league may come down harder on all of this than the team would..."

"Or maybe the team is waiting for league involvement. It's clearly a divisive issue, and the fans are the team shareholders. Put the decision on the commissioner's office and the Mercs front office can claim clean hands no matter which way it goes. Thanks All-Protector."

"But the league..."

"Hasn't said anything yet, nor do I really expect them to, but maybe they should."

"Well Coach Kor'le's weekly press conference starts in a few minutes..."

"And we'll have that live here on the Fandalorian as we always do."

"...so I expect she'll get a lot of questions about this."

"Wonder if she'll get any questions about game prep for the Monarchs?"

"I doubt it, gods I hate this, the Mercs are fighting for a playoff spot, they don't need distractions like this!"

"And she's entering the press room now, so we're going live over there, but we'll be back afterwards to comment on what Coach Kor'le says and to take more of your calls, right here on the fandalorian!"

TAG: Trieste.

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Mando'ade Mercs front office has no comment following the release of security holo footage showing Half Back Rae Rice repeatedly striking her boyfriend and dragging him off of a turbolift at a hotel on Chandrila just prior to the beginning of the season. Neither Rae Rice nor her boyfriend (now fiance) could be reached for comment
    • UBSD head coach after narrow, but thrilling, win in non-conference against KMI about a marquee win by a Bak10 team against the SEC: "If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation."
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    283 Elite League All-Star Game Rosters

Skywalker:

Goalkeeper: Marlena Archdres (Stewjon)
    Defender: Miles Abbregado (Hapes)
    Defender: Mick Plaza (Stewjon)
    Defender: Tuuvash Mauntak (Mandalore)
    Midfielder: Argo Mor’kesh (Mandalore)
    Forward: Fu Arock (Mandalore)
    Forward: Tendra Nalo (Hapes)
    Forward: Mar’grit Evers-Sark (Carratos)

Reserves:

Goalkeeper: Ken Gatras (Hapes)
    Defender: Cuddyenia Granderson (Stewjon)
    Defender: Victor Drago (Nar Shaddaa)
    Defender: Zelena Wiles (Nar Shaddaa)
    Midfielder: Lucy Van Pelt (Carratos)
    Forward: Lorem Ipsum (Chandrila)
    Forward: Ariel Taeping (Carratos)
    Forward: Noah Trevor (Stewjon)

Solo:

Goalkeeper: Orlon Kandarar (Bakura)
    Defender: Tralvar (Bakura)
    Defender: Noah Till (Ralltiir)
    Defender: Edard Pursuant (Jakku)
    Midfielder: Shiboar (Bakura)
    Forward: Bat Vigo (Ralltiir)
    Forward: Leia Adama (Coruscant)
    Forward: Zuzu Nuun (Coruscant)

Reserves:

Goalkeeper: Cliff Tuff (Ralltiir)
    Defender: Liddy Powe (Rydonni Prime)
    Defender: Leo Fostiir (Ralltiir)
    Defender: Salman (Bakura)
    Midfielder: Zeus Syndulla (Coruscant)
    Forward: Kara Suryesh (Ralltiir)
    Forward: Maggie Adams (Rydonni Prime)
    Forward: Li Roy Jinkins (Denon)

Game to be played tomorrow at Stoney End, Chandrila

TAGS to Everyone, Bardan_Jusik, Trieste, Runjedirun, jcgoble3, Vehn, galactic-vagabond422

Vehn, Trieste, Runjedirun and 3 others like this.
  16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Dear Data Pad:

Winning is fun! There are some real frustrations off field that I will get to later, but first I want to talk about today’s game. The home crowd showed up in force despite our dismal start to the season. Maybe they showed up for the nachos and ale, it doesn’t matter we gave them what they’ve really been craving all season…a win. The offense came out of the gate hot. Vigo was on fire. He drilled three balls into the net early. Dunerider and Sureysh were also on the board before the end of the half. Meanwhile on defense we were holding the Pats scoreless. Everything felt right, we were in synch. I even had my own cooler full of purple Gundarkade courtesy of none other than Ty Allin.

I think every girl secretly has a crush on Ty Allin. I always thought if I got to meet him he wouldn’t live up to the image of him I had in my head. The problem with Ty is that he’s even more amazing in person than in your imagination. Lucie Vigo is a lucky lady. Ty is old school too. He’d tell me I made a sweet tackle and then he’d smack my rear on the way back out on the field. Ty I’m trying to win over Noah Till here and your married…keep your hands off…or maybe not.

At halftime Coach Jul announced she’d be pulling most of our starters. Coach Till had the opposite idea for us on the defense. He wanted us to pull out the shutout. It would be a test for sure without our offensive starters to hold the ball. Of course we took the challenge. When I took the field for the second half I felt a lot of pressure. Noah was watching me, Coach Till was watching me, Ty Allin was on the sideline watching me and my dad was in the stands watching me.

Everyone was dependent on my playing well. I remembered what my coaches said after the dropped interception. If you don’t know you can catch it, they told me, bat it away. My main goal was to keep the offense from scoring. It didn’t have to pretty and I shouldn’t be heroic about it. Cliff is good in goal, so we were okay if the Patriots got a shot off. What we could not allow was for anyone to attempt a bar point. Of course, the Patriots just wanted to get on the board. They have lost every game this year and their future in the ELL may very well be on the line so they fought hard.

Kaat subbed in at all positions on defense to give us breathers. She is one hell of an athlete. My favorite play was in the final minutes. Marmu was driving up field all alone. Several of us caught too far up field to stop her. Kaat was playing full back. She tore down field after Marmu, Marmu couldn’t have even known she was coming and Kaat dove on top of her from behind just as she was about to make a shot.

Of course I made some pretty spectacular plays myself. In the opening minutes I cleanly stole the ball from Mattisse I had to bite my lip to hold my concentration, find his rhythm, then bam when he was least expecting it I threw my foot in there, claimed the ball as my own and dribbled up field to pass off to a waiting Hovechar. Even with the pressure on in the second half I pulled off a diving interception that got the crowd cheering with excitement. Best of all when my sister subbed in we played keep away for nearly 2 minutes as we passed the ball back and forth while three Patriots played Kowakian moneky-lizard in the middle. Eventually Coach Till called from the sidelines for us to stop taking risks, but I know we could have kept it going for the rest of the game.

When the game ended Ty Allin was nowhere to be found. I had to fill my own cup with purple Gundarkade before heading for the sidelines. There was no one to hand me a towel as I hit the showers either. All of us went from celebrating and jubilation to a little on edge. We figured Ty was about to pull off some epic prank. No prank came, Coach Till was having a frantic discussion with his data pad and I realized his wife, our team owner was on the other end. When the call ended Coach Till approached me. He said he needed me for the press conference. He wanted me to speak about the diving interception in the second half. I was unsure. Was this team still trying to sell me? Were they going to make me some sort of hero so I’d be guilted into not leaving when my contract was up?

Suddenly Bat appeared at Till’s side. “We need you Purple,” he said using the nickname I’d been given back in camp. “My family needs you. Tomas got charged in his accident. It’s a simple speeding ticket, but the press is running rampant with it and we need you to change the focus of the press conference back to the game. That’s what really matters here today, right?”

“I thought Tomas was still at the med center,” came my response. Bat said Tomas was still at the med center and that he was displaying signs of serious distress. Apparently no one had felt it necessary to tell Tomas of the charge until he was feeling better. Hopefully after he was walking again, no one had asked the press not to snoop and obviously the well-being of a 16 year old rich kid didn’t matter to the press. The news broke at halftime. Tomas found out watching the holo in his room. That’s why Ty Allin had disappeared. A nurse from the med center called to say Tomas was overreacting to the news. Ty had gone to help calm Tomas down.

Bat looked at me in the eyes. “Ty wasn’t always a member of this family,” he told me. “He doesn’t come from credits or even this planet. He never judged us. He’s been a brother to all of us. I’m not saying you have to like us, just don’t believe everything you’ve heard on the holo or read on the net. Credits don’t solve every problem. Or if you don’t want to do this for us, look at this as an opportunity for you. Go sell yourself to the Galaxy. Number one draft pick keeps Pats scoreless.”

You know the jerk had me going. Until he threw it back at me and told me to go out there and sell myself. Ouch. I almost did care about your family you low life. You just didn’t give me the credit or even a chance. Maybe his little brother deserves a second thought and I went to the press conference for Tomas. I don’t care why the Galaxy thinks I went or even what the outcome is. I just hope to see Tomas in our locker room again before the end of the season.

When I got to the press conference Mrs. Till really did have to tell reporters she had no comment about the charges against her son. She asked if there were game or team related questions. Some smart ass asked if her son would be allowed back on field or if he’d be suspended until pending charges were lifted or her son’s sentence was served. I got to hand it to Mrs. Till. I would have walked through the crowed and punched that reporter in the jaw or put my hands around his throat. Her son isn’t even able to physically walk on the field. Why are they picking on this kid?

If I was back home I’d totally be on the side of the reporters. I didn’t know any better. I’d think the spoiled rich kid crashed his fancy speeder and deserved to be charged. He was at my house, he was trying to help his father’s team get better again. New pilots have accidents. I know I’ve had my share of fender benders and speeding tickets. I guess credits to pay them are nice, but not so many credits that the paparazzi is waiting to pounce on every mistake you make.

I looked up to see Coach Till taking the podium. He gave his wife a firm squeeze on the shoulder as she stepped back and crossed her arms firmly. Coach Till spoke. He said how proud he was of the team today for our efforts on the field. He promised more wins this season and even mentioned hopes of a play-off spot. He brought Sureysh to the podium next to take questions. Sureysh fielded some and then it was my turn. Sureysh introduced me as 1st round draft pick, starter and star player on the defense. It was nothing I hadn’t heard before. I was the star of our team in high school and at Ralltiir U. Still I felt a bounce in my step as I took the stairs up to the podium.

Looking out at the reporters was surreal. I always knew I’d be up here someday. I just thought the sole focus would be me. I never imagined I’d have to distract them from some other story. I was asked if I felt like I saved the shutout. I said I contributed, but it was a team effort. I was asked if I liked playing with my sister and how I liked the Starkiller franchise so far. It was easy to answer that playing with my sister all these years has been the best dream a girl can ask for. I didn’t add that when she’s a starter in a few years we will tear up the turf, because I think that’s a given. It was harder to say that I like it here on Ralltiir. I managed to say it though, despite Bat Vigo’s attitude I have done pretty well here so far.

The final question I wasn’t prepared for. I was asked if I felt snubbed not getting an all-star nom. I said what I think sounded right. Our defense took too long to shine this season. Up until this game we were at the bottom of the barrel in the rankings and my performances hadn’t gotten us more than one win. The fans had to go with players they saw win the finals last season. I didn’t add that I’m hoping to get in next season. I wanted to, it is hard to keep your mouth shut up there, but I think I did the right thing.

I felt a little nerve wracked as I stepped down. Until I saw my father with a press pass around his neck, a big smile under his full beard waiting to give me a hug in the back of the room. In front of all those reporters I ran back there and hugged him tight. I even gave my mom a kiss on the cheek. It’s been repeating on HSN a lot this evening. If it wasn’t me, I’d think it was cute.

After racing home to walk Chow-Chow I had ales with Noah, my sister and my parents on my back porch. Noah went home. He had to pack for the All-Star game. I am really going to miss him. I won’t see him again until we land on Stewjon. My sister and my parents are still on my back porch. If it wasn’t for Chow-Chow I would feel completely alone right now. I don’t just miss Noah though. I’m worried about Tomas. Maybe I can go check on him tomorrow.

I want to tell my family to go home now. Lucky for them I can’t move, Chow-Chow is sleeping soundly, cuddled up in my lap. It would be really rude to make my parents fly all the way home this late anyway. I guess they can make their way to the bedroom whenever. I’m just going to hug my blanket and sleep right here on the sofa. Goodnight Chow-Chow.

Tag: none

Jedi Gunny, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    283 Elite League All-Star Game

Game Played at Stoney End, Chandrila. Skywalker Conference is the home team.

9 Solo at Skywalker 6 – End of 1st Quarter
    17 Solo at Skywalker 21 - Halftime
    23 Solo at Skywalker 35 – End of 3rd Quarter
    34 Solo at Skywalker 37 - End of Regulation

MVP (determined by random die roll): Noah Trevor (Stewjon)

Vehn, Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D’aar, Bakura

If Jakku had been tough, it was nothing compared to what the Miners had encountered with the Mercs today.

The Junkers were looking like they deserved their name at the bottom of the Solo Conference. The Mercs, on the other hand, were in the thick of the fight in the Skywalker Conference. More than that--they were an offensive juggernaut and nowhere was that more clear than up front.

Fu was Arocking his way through the Miner defense, which had come into this game as the best defense in the League. It was not looking very bestest today. He was like a scorpion out there, fast and furious, the core of the Mandalorian gridiron gang. He had gotten smart with his play. Arock knew pain and gain and like a Mandalorian soldier he retaliated for every point the Miners scored. His efforts were even herculean at times. He could make the defense look like they weren’t beings but holograms. He was a being on a mission, a journey to the center of the net. When it came down to it, Arock was a baller.

Dash exactly knew why Arock was rollicking through his defense.

“Force take you Adenn Vizsla,” Dash mumbled for the umpteenth time.

The big story all week long in the media had focused on the fact that during his one year stint during the 279 championship run, Adenn Vizsla had become good friends with none other than Bakura’s premiere high school scount, Orlon Kandarar. The pair had played limmie against each other (a curious shadow of things to come), went drinking together, and were just all around good friends.

Kandarar for his part was coy in the interviews during the week. “I have the distinction of being Adenn’s only friend to advise him to not go back to the Mercs,” he had said. “Given the number of rings on his fingers, clearly I got that one right.”

Friendship aside, Dash knew that Vizsla had studied the Miners well during his time here. Since returning to Mandalore, the Mercs had a 3-1 record against Bakura. To Cundertol, it was a price he had been willing to pay, for it had gotten him a third championship in dramatic fashion against the Mercs in the Final, no doubt powered by Vizsla’s insight into what made the Mercs tick. However, like most things Quinn Cundertol did in his “infinite wisdom,” it was making Dash’s life very hard right now.

Dash had two things going for him right now. First, Vizsla had no such insight into the current team of Miners. Second, his offense had risen to the occasion. The Mercs were the highest scoring team in the League by a parsec, but the Miners were hanging on with them. This was what Dash had thought the season would look like: run and gun limmie. Kragen Arnoy was single handedly rallying the team as they continued to assault the goal.

“So you got any of that whiskey? Because I need a drink with the way this one’s going. Always the Mercs, I tell ya,” Cardan asked.

Dash surreptitiously slid the flash across the bench. “Thought you’d be used to it by now. Game of Rivals and all.”

“You never get used to playing the Mercs. Consider yourself lucky you haven’t had to go to their house,” Cardan said.

“Tell me about it,” Dash said, looking up at the stands, miniscule by comparison.

The Miners were not always the best home team. Some beings said it was because other teams got pumped to play at Bakura given their dominance in the 270s, eager to show up the home team on their turf. Others said that the smaller crowd couldn’t get in the heads of the opposing teams the way larger stadia could. There were even those who said that the Miners played better on the road because the adversity bonded them together.

Dash didn’t know what any of them were talking about. Today, this crowd was carrying the team.

When he’d taken the job, Dash had known that the fans would be skeptical. A bunch of decade-old Bimm who had been laboring in the mines? How could they compare to the all-star squad that had won back-to-back regular season Solo Conference championships, let alone win the hearts of the fans?

Their initial reaction had been curiosity that gave way to pleasant surprise after the first win. Surprise had turned to optimism after the victory against the Smugglers. Now, after the double overtime thriller on Jakku, everything was different.

All of a sudden, the Miners were Bakura’s team again.

Dash only had to look to the seats to know it. The signs said it all.

WE STAND WITH THE BIMM 13

A WIZARD SAVE

ARNOY FOR PM ‘83

EIRI/JIRI I’M SINGLE (AND I’LL TAKE EITHER/BOTH)

YOU JUST GOT DOCTORED

That last one was for Han Tunross, who had become quite the story, coming off the sidelines and onto the field. After his tenuous start he had finally settled in. Dash thought he might have a different view of what the players went through, including their injuries, now that he’d been on the field himself.

Dash tried to modestly ignore the signs that were about him.

I LOVE OUR DASHING COACH

OUR COACH FAINTS AND STILL WINS. HOW ABOUT YOURS?

STOMP ‘EM STONLON

He had even seen a bunch of fans wearing blue overcoats in the stands, a clear homage to his trademark look. He’d had to explain this week why he’d worn the coat all throughout the Jakku game (thank heavens he hadn’t had to call in to that Mandalorian talk show to talk about it) and the story had gotten huge distribution throughout Bakura. Though she probably would have never liked the spotlight, his mother had been the talk of sportsmedia for the last few days. She would have laughed about that if she were here.

Coming onto the field today, the SDPD officers had all given him a nod. He had the distinct feeling that now he wore that coat for more than just his mother. He wore it for every peace officer on Bakura.

Beings pinning hopes on you like that was a lot of pressure and the game was drawing to a close. The Miners had a thin lead against the Mercs--two points, in fact--and it was feeling like the sort of lead that Fu Arock ate for breakfast (along with five dozen eggs, because that being was roughly the size of a barge). There was no cushion in this game--Dash hadn’t allowed his team to take their foot off the pedal once. They had possession now and Dash could see they were starting to tense up. They wanted to run out the clock, be conservative.

“Timeout! Timeout!” Dash called to the ref, burning his last one.

He gathered his team up on the sidelines. “I want a goal,” he told them.

“Coach, we’ve got the lead. We open things up--” Walver protested.

“I don’t bloody care!” Dash said sternly, cutting him off. “We try to play keep away and the Mercs are going to pick us apart. You play timidly and you’re going to lose. I want us to attack for the remainder of this game. This is not defense first. You know what winners do? They attack. Attack. Attack. Attack!” He punctuated the word with a chop of his hand each time. “You don’t let them in our zone and they can’t score. It’s a fact. We’re going to work it low and we’re going to fire away. You have played too well to win. Defense--you’ve held the Mercs under 30 points today. You’ve done your job. Offense--your day is not over. Not by a long shot.”

The ref blew the whistle to call them back to action.

“Now go get a goal. Do it for yourselves, for your brothers!” Dash commanded.

The team hustled back.

“Big risk. Big, big risk,” Cardan said. The pair remained standing on the sidelines. If ever there was a critical moment, this was it.

“I’d rather go down fighting than barely hold on to win. Breed good habits today to win tomorrow,” Dash said as he hunched over, hands on his knees to watch what happened.

Dash Stonlon knew that nothing was certain in a game of limmie until the final whistle, buzzer, horn, what have you, sounded. Even so, he knew the Miners were not just going to win, but score. He knew it because he could feel it in the stands.

In his years as a coach, Dash had taken over a lot of programs that wanted to reach the big time. He’d nursed them back into contention, but never quite gotten there. He found that in the big moments, these fans shared a general feeling. It wasn’t quite dread or doom that they would inevitably fail. It was a feeling that could best be described as a whispered, “Come on, don’t blow it.” The opposing teams, the champions to-be, that they could never quite beat exuded something that could be summed up as, “We’ve got this.”

In the stands, the lyrical Miner fans had taken up one of their old refrains:

In fair Salis city
    Where the girls are so pretty
    I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
    As she wheeled her wheelbarrow
    Through streets broad and narrow
    Crying, “Cockles and mussels
    Alive alive oh”

Dash watched as Eiri passed to Jiri and Jiri back to Eiri.

”Alive alive oh
    Alive alive oh”

Eiri found the back of the net for what would be the last score of the day.

Crying, “Cockles and mussels
    Alive alive oh”

As Dash shook hands with Ryi Kor’le and congratulated her on a hardfought game (“Our toughest one yet, Ryi,” he told her), Kragen Arnoy accepted the Beskar Pickaxe. Doubtless it was a trophy that felt familiar in his hands, similar to the implements he’d used for over a decade in the mines on Bakura. How fitting that this Miners team should take it back.

Dash and Roy headed back to the locker room. “For a being who just secured a winning record, you seem like you’ve got a lot on your mind. Have anything to do with this?”

Cardan held up a datapad with an ELL press release and tapped the pertinent paragraph.

Stewjon Mets head coach Cherry Tollins will coach the Skywalker Conference All-Stars and Bakura Miners head coach Dashric Stonlon will be on the sidelines for the Solo Conference squad.

Dash’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Och, what’s this?”

“Going to Chandrila, my friend,” Roy said. “Guess it doesn’t matter if you never wanted to go down to Stoney End. You are anyways.” Cardan slapped him on the back. “Congratulations, Dash-o. No wonder you’ve got plenty on your mind.”

“No, it’s not that,” Dash said. “I was thinking about our next game. Not the All-Star Game, but the Miners game. I just realized we’re bringing an all-male team to Hapes.”

Cardan slapped his forehead. “Luke Leia and Han. I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

TAG: Bardan_Jusik (who approved this post) jcgoble3

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Stoney End Park, Hana City, Chandrila

It had been an interesting week for Dash. He’d gone from the high of a sixth consecutive victory in a tightly fought game straight to Chandrila in the company of Orlon Kandarar, Tralvar, Salman, and Shiboar, all of whom had been named to play in the All-Star Game. At the media day, Shiboar had said, “We’re honored to be here, but we wouldn’t be without our teammates. We don’t see any of us as greater than the other. I know without them that I’d be half of what I am, tops. Of course, given the fact I’m playing with all-stars, maybe I’ll be something like my regular self.”

Shiboar was certainly much calmer about the experience than Dash. He had only a couple practices to get the best limmie players in the galaxy (or at least half of them) to work together in a format that they rarely played and he’d never coached before. Sure, no one expected the All-Star Game to be a flawlessly executed plan, but Dash keenly felt what an honor it was to be named to this team. There were ten other head coaches who would love to be in his shoes.

Dash was pleased by the fast start that the team had, getting out to a one goal lead at the 15 minute mark. It was about then that the Skywalker Conference forwards started to find their footing. There was the star he’d just played, Fu Arock, and the star he was about to play, Tendra Nalo, along with the rookie Evers-Sark that was part of the potent punch of the Pirates. The trio with the veteran Mor’kesh tore into the Solo defense.

This wasn’t to say that the Solo sat on their hands. On the contrary--they had a consistent performance on the front end of the ball to the start of the half. Bat Vigo, Leia Adama, and Zuzu Nuun had a solid first half, assisted by Shiboar. Heck, a first half like that was halfway to victory in a regular season game.

As was tradition in the All-Star Game, Dash made a wholesale change for the second half, starting all of his reserves. Once again, the Skywalker bombed away on the Solo defense. It was a big hole as the clock ticked down to 15 minutes left. Dash felt a critical moment coming and he called a timeout.

“Going to make some changes here. Let’s represent our conference with pride,” Dash told his team. “Going to make some substitutions. Salman, good show.” The Bimm received high fives from his teammates. “Till, get back out there. You, Fostiir, Powe, lock it down. Tuff--don’t allow a goal for the rest of the game and we’ll bring you in. Jinkins, take a seat.”

“At least I’ve got chicken,” Jinkins sulked. “Adama, Nuun, we’re going to rotate you through that spot. Suryesh, I want to do the same with you and Vigo. You start to get tired and we’ll make a sub. Fresh legs out there. At the end of the game I want to attack with both of you, really overwhelm their defense. Adams--give me a good eight. Zeus, throw me some thunder at midfield. Let’s go.”

The new pairings turned out fantastically. The Solo Conference squared roared through to the end of the game, falling just short of a win at the end. Tuff did what he needed to do and he shutdown the Skywalker offense. Even so, for the first time this season Stonlon’s side lost a game.

He participated in a handshake line at the end of the game, shaking the hand of every Skywalker Conference player, ending with Cherry Tollins. “Oh Cherry, looks like we’re going to need the postseason to settle this one,” Stonlon said. “Your man Noah had quite the second half. Just about singlehandedly buried us. Good thing we didn’t get that player in the regular season. Force to be reckoned with, he is.”

The experience had not only been fun, it had been instructive. The Solo Conference players, even at the end of the game when things were pretty much out of reach hadn’t given up. In particular, he’d seen fire in Adama, Jinkins, Nuun, Suryesh, Syndulla, and Vigo. Incidentally, Dash was going to have to play all of their teams before the season was over.

It was going to be one heck of a second half of the season.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik @galacticvagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun

20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Day After the Game Against Chandrilla

Woke up this morning to the smells and sounds of my dad making breakfast in my kitchen. The eggs were runny and the toast was burned. It was just like back home and it was wonderful. Mom and Dad left shortly after I took Chow-Chow on his morning walk. I headed over to the med center to visit Tomas. They told me Tomas went home. I was disappointed because I wanted to talk to him and I really had nowhere to go so I went to the stadium and made my way to the weight room.

Just as I got a good sweat rolling off my brow Coach Jul appeared above my bench. She demanded to know what I was doing there on a scheduled day off. I just shrugged and continued to lift, but she took the bar from me! She gave me this lecture about how important rest is in the middle of the season. Apparently this All-Star break is a time for my muscles to “repair themselves”.

I was pretty upset to be chased off the facility. I had barely gotten home when my sister called and she started yelling at me too. Apparently of all days Richard Vigo must have moved forward with the investigation he promised at Ralltiir U, because the head Coach announced her retirement. Today in the height of the college season she is just stepping away. This is a big deal considering Coach Yadnugnav has been the coach at Ralltiir U for nearly 15 years.

My sister wasn’t the only one who was upset. I was upset too. Richard could have at least let me know something like this was about to happen. I switched on HSN and sure enough it was the top story. Richard left me his number when we spoke so I dialed him immediately and I have to admit I was a little surprised when he actually answered.

At first Richard acted surprised that I was upset. Then he asked what I had expected to happen when I made the request to have changes made at the University. He made me realize that if I want better opportunities for future athletes at Ralltiir U Coach Yadnugnav’s retirement is probably for the best. She had been a good Limmie Coach but she wasn’t looking out for the good of us players after our playing days are over.

I spent the afternoon playing in the yard with Chow-Chow. He is THE BEST PUP EVER. I also got a call from my mom tonight. She congratulated me for getting the ball rolling at Ralltiir U. She is a teacher after all so she thinks this is great news. She also wanted to make sure I’m going to follow through and sign up for classes when the Limmie season is over so I do get my degree. Ugh, I think she’s going to make me do this, take college classes all over again. I have all the credits I need now. It’s not even necessary. I’ll probably do it anyway. How hard can it be?

Day of the All Star Game

When I got to the stadium this afternoon to view the All Star game with my teammates a nice surprise was waiting for all of us. Our water boy Tomas Vigo sat in a hovechair at one of the restaurant tables where we had our little viewing party. Of course he was being hounded by other players who all wanted to know how he was feeling so it was a while before I got my turn. When I did finally see Tomas the first thing to stand out was a cast on his right hand.

Apparently Tomas punched a side table in his room at the med center last week when the announcement was made about his “charges.” Since then the media really hasn’t made a mention of Tomas. Apparently his family moved him back home in the middle of the night to avoid any press coverage. Whether the med center kicked him out for being trouble or whether his mother finally decided he should come home I really don’t know.

I was really happy to see Tomas. He stayed in his chair and he has braces around both of his legs, but he says he is swimming a lot and he even went back to school a few days last week. The kid is tough, I am sure that he’s going to be okay. The game was a fun watch too. It made me miss Noah a bit, but he looked to be having a good time out there. Noah doesn’t smile much. There’s just a stoic look of confidence in Noah, I can’t explain it really. I find it rather, charming.

Our coach’s seemed a bit upset about what a battle the All Star game turned out to be. It was a close game. Jul turned her head several times. “Please tell me no one got hurt on that play,” she would say. After all of us promised that everyone was fine she’d watch again, until the next big tackle. I was feeling pretty good when I left the stadium. Even though our conference hadn’t won I had a fun evening, good food and spent time with my teammates.

When I got home my annoying sister called. “You know that he Vigo’s followed through on your dumb request just to get the attention off their son, right?” She asked. I don’t even know why I should even care. I am doing the right thing. Athletes deserve an education. What if the Vigo’s put Ralltiir U in the news so Tomas could get a break? Why is my sister so angry?

Less than a week until I get to see Noah again. He called tonight too. He’s not much of a talker on the net. He just kept staring at me with a loss of words. He told me he discovered some good watering holes on Chandrila and he wished I was there. Funny thing about Noah is that he only ever drinks one drink. Maybe to keep an eye on me, since he’s had to help me home a few times already. He only drinks from a bottle and he always orders the strangest selections, imports, or micro brews he calls the stuff I used to drink “cheap crap.” He even brought his own when my parents were here in fear that we would only have “cheap crap.” I had to warn him not to say those words around my dad. My dad only drinks “cheap crap,” it’s probably all he’s ever been able to afford. Thankfully Noah is a good listener. I want him and my dad to get along.

Rambling now, better get some sleep. Time to start preparing for Stewjon tomorrow.

Stewjon, Night before the game against the Mets

It’s been such an odd couple of weeks. Our coaches really stressed the rest thing. I can’t decide if my muscles are rested or rusty. When the shuttle landed and I saw Noah waiting for me I really didn’t care. All the members of our team who had played the All Star game met us at the spaceport. When I saw them I ran for Noah. He took it pretty well for someone so shy. He opened his arms and gave me a warm hug.

I wanted to stay in his arms forever. I know he wasn’t comfortable with all of our teammates staring. I wasn’t really all that comfortable either so we let go pretty quickly. I walked beside him for a bit as we made our way to our hotel and we were silent. To my surprise he grabbed my hand once we got off the lift and led me to his room. Noah shares with Fostiir, but Noah must have told Fostiir ahead of time to make other plans because he didn’t follow us he went in a room with Dev and Leak.

It was before dinner so there are no rules against being in other player’s rooms. Noah ran his fingers through my hair. It was the first thing he did and kinda the last thing I remember. I’m so in love with him it makes me sick. How did this happen?

We play arguably the best team in the ELL tomorrow. I want to make a statement. I want us to win. I know it’s not going to be easy. Kaat and I are having a little war with the holo in our room. She keeps turning it up louder and I keep turning it off. We need our rest to play well tomorrow. She must know that, she’s just doing this to annoy me. I can’t beat Kaat, so I’m just going to put my head under my pillow and hope for the best. She’s bound to turn in sometime…I hope.

Tag: None

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Mikia Sandin-Manx
    Grand Villa, Rydonni Prime

It's been some time since my conversation with Sylvanus and I'm beginning to see what he was talking about. Everyone is coping with the situation in different ways but, what made her way separate was that she was grieving alone. Tian and Boutros hadn't left each other's side, the twins were the same. Masters, Sylver and Lucy were spending most nights together carousing, on Masters' credit. Ponie, Gates and Ame'shepa'sabosen made calls to their friends and families that were off world every chance they got. Looking around it seemed everyone had someone, someone to lean on, to help keep their mind off the pain, everyone except me. The one person I need now, the person I can lean on is trapped, or worse. I wrap my arms around myself feeling cold.

"You ready," Sylvanus says sitting next to me. "For the game I mean."

"I'm sitting on the bench," I roll my eyes, "Again."

"Hey," he retorts, "We have to be ready to jump in there at any time."

"Really, when was the last time you got subbed in?"

He nudges me with his elbow, "You need to let go of that feeling." I let out another sigh, I know he's right. Maybe I'm just not ready to let go of this pain yet.

Poine leads us out on to another loud field. What was with some of these places and their huge stadiums? I will be glad to face the Miners in their comparatively tiny stadium, and facing their equally tiny team. Though against all odds the Bimms were undefeated so far, hopefully that would change before we faced them. There are four games between now and then, things can change.

I look at the forwards, especially the rookies. They grimace at each other, then glare at the other team. I've never seen an intra-team rivalry like this before. Sure there was some animosity between Logan and Gor when the Nikto was first drafted but, that was just their Corsair and Gambler colors showing, once Logan stepped up into being the offensive leader, Gor faded a little. What's funny is that Cutty and Ariel would probably make good friends, they have so much in common. Their driven and dedicated to the game, they don't give up and even with everything going on they've kept going. I know their apparent determination is just their way of coping. If they keep moving they don't have to think about what is going on back home.

The match starts, Cutty and Ariel waste no time rushing down field, out running the Monarchs, outrunning their own team. L.E.S tries to keep up but, the rookies are just too fast. Cutty has possession and is dancing around the gold shirted defenders. She can't keep this up she needs to pass or at least try to, she's about to get slammed. She doesn't, selfishly holding on trying in vain to score on her own. Powe wraps her arms around the young woman and takes her to the ground forcing a fumble. I slam my first into my thigh, what is that rook thinking.

I'm not sure she is thinking at all. Tian and L.E.S eventually catch up and lock things down, keeping the pressure on the Monarchs. Antilles is being pelted with shots and is stopping every one. It's an all-out attack from the fired up rookies and I start to see something. It's in the way they move, the way they shout before every shot. Their moves are fast and aggressive, their calls are laced with pain. Every time they make a move or rush the net they're releasing a bit of pain, a bit of their frustration. Where I'm trying to contain my emotions, they're opening the flood gates, letting it all out.

I wish I could be like them but, my pain, my…loneliness, doesn't make me angry, it just makes me hollow. I slump my shoulders forward as Leigh makes the first goal of the game. Beside me Sylvanus claps his hands and offers words of encouragement, doesn't he know they can't hear him, not over the crowd. The points start stacking up in our favor. Even from my place on the bench I see the fire our star forwards, and I am lost in admiration. I admire that they can turn their anguish and suffering into drive, into something that pushes them forward.

I start to feel…shame, they're out there playing on despite everything and I am sitting on the sideline, just watching. I should be out there, I should be helping this team. Sylvanus nudges my shoulder flicking his chin towards the scoreboard. We're in a commanding early lead, I guess they don't need me. My face sours a little, I feel so useless, like dead weight. The first half ends with us solidly in the lead and walking back to the locker room, my head hangs, pulled down by the thoughts in my head. What happened to me, I didn't use to be like this, so unsure, so…broken.

"You doing alright?" Sylvanus asks sitting down next to me, I look at him my eyes squinting at him. Is he serious? How am I doing, doesn't he already know, I'm hurting, lost, and I can't feel anything. "That bad huh?"

"Tsk." I hiss though my teeth, putting every ounce of indignation I can muster on the utterance. My teammate just looks away his hands up in defeat. I know I need to get over this feeling, get beyond this black hole that is tearing apart everything I was. I just don't know how, and every time I think about talking to someone, I shut myself down. I don't want to appear weak, not in front of the team. I know I'm just being unreasonable but, I still don't want the team to know that I'm hurting. An uneasy silence settles in between me and the Balosar. In fact it falls over the whole team. We're in the lead we should be celebrating, cracking jokes, singing 'Drunken Spacer' but, I guess no one feels like cheering while I friends and family are cut off from us.

The break ends and we return to the field, I take my place on the bench and watch listlessly as we continue our march to another win. I remember the Monarchs having a tough defense, what happened. Then again I used to be a good half back. Vahava again moves effortlessly around the field keeping her mark under wraps. Our defense is giving it's best showing it has in a while holding the Monarchs to a single goal for a long time. All the forwards score points by the end of it, the big three, Cutty, Ariel and Leigh net hat tricks, along with Tian, Seiji and Else make bar points to round out the scoring.

The dark cloud hangs over us even after what should be an important victory. Almost as soon as the game is over we're on our way to Commenor, to face the Smugglers. Although they're another rival in the Skywalker, I still feel nothing. What I do notice is Boutros head lowered, eyes forward. I remember her play in the Conference Final last year. It was brutal her and Lerouex went round and round, nearly coming to blows. I hope she doesn't play next game, we don't need a suspension on us right now. Not that it really matters to me.

_____
    IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    O'Pahz, Carratos

A warm hand runs across my bare chest and I feel a chin rest on my shoulder,

"Time to get up sleepy head." Her words are in a sweet tone that makes my heart flutter just a bit.

"Five more minutes please," I turn my head away playfully like a child wanting to avoid going to school.

My eyes widen when I feel something, her smooth leg brush against mine. "I should have gotten you up a while ago." She says, I hear the smile in her words.

I turn my head back to her looking into the brown eyes I love so much, "Why didn't you wake me then?"

She runs a hand though my long hair, her long fingers almost massaging my scalp. "I like watching you sleep sometimes."

"And that's not creepy at all." I say, her hand tightens sending a bit of pain running down my spine, "I'm joking, I'm joking."

"I know," she leans in closer, for a moment she's the only thing in the galaxy. Her lips brush against mine for a quick kiss, I try to make it last longer, give me the five minutes I had asked for but, she pulls away. "I'm going to take a shower," her voice is low, causing my back to shiver just a little, "If you're not out of bed by the time I get back, I'll get you out myself."

"Promises, promises," I coo a stupid grin on my face, in that moment I forgot she still had a hold on my hair. More signals of pain radiate out from my head.

"You're lucky you're so good looking," she replies part of a smirk on her face, "I'd done far worse to anyone else that made this many bad jokes."

"Part of my charm I guess." She releases me and moves to the door, I can take my eyes off her, Maker I'm a lucky man to have married her.

She stops at the doorway to look over her shoulder, "I'm serious, you'd better be out of that bed before I get back," her lips curl into a wicked grin, "or there'll be hell to pay."

She walks out and I'm sorely tempted to stay, just to see what she will do but, I think the better of it and slowly come out from under the covers. I run a hand over my thigh, pressing my fingertips into the flesh, and feeling every moment of it. I can almost feel tears forming. A smile blooms across my face before I hear something that shatters the peace. A scream of pain, like something born from Chaos itself, my heart stops.

"Could you get that?" Mikia calls over the sounds of the Sanisteam, "Little busy at the moment." Again the howl of anguish rings though the space. "Logan the door." She calls out again annoyance in her voice.

I get up, cautiously and make my wat to the front door. I begin to smell something, it isn't the steam or the scented wash Mikia uses, this is pungent, and revolting. Ozone, mixed with…no, it can't be. The shriek of torment sounds once more. My stomach drops as I open the door. My eyes widen and my hand shakes. In front of me is the Pantoran, in a blood stained white uniform, struggling to breathe. His yellow eye looks up at me,

"Help." He wheezes, all at once my legs give out and I'm on the floor, sitting in blood.

"Logan," a voice calls out. It's not Mikia's, but it is female, "Logan wake up."

My eyes snap open to find Zara looking over me.

"You were having another nightmare weren't you?"

"It didn't start out that way," I say propping myself up on the cot, "I just turned into one at the last moment." I look at my legs, I feel nothing from them, that's how I know I'm back in reality, even if that reality feels particularly surreal at the moment.

Before Zara could speak again the Pirate King appeared, "Hurry up, we've got a meeting to get to." The Zygerrian helps me out of the cot and I get dressed. I rub my chin now thick with facial hair, reminds me of last season the run up to the playoffs, me and Kyril staying up late working on strategies, I wish that was the reason I had this scruff.

"Who are we meeting with?" I ask following behind the caped individual.

"The Queen of the Stars." He says looking up. My forward momentum stops, is he serious, first the Pirate King of Carratos, now the Queen of the Stars, what kind of game is going on here.

"You can't be serious?" I say moving my chair closer.

"I wouldn't kid about this, especially not about her." His cape trails behind him as we get into a nondescript vehicle. Driving though the city after weeks of conflict is terrifying. Buildings pockmarked with blaster scoring and shrapnel. Makeshift barricades lay broken and some still smoldering in the streets. I close my eyes and look away, I don't want to see my city like this, I don't want to remember the devastation wrought by this conflict. "It'll get fixed," the King says looking ahead, "All of this will get better, once the 'White Star' leave." A silence falls over the cabin of the car as we maneuver through the streets. Eventually we arrive at a building with more barricades and armed guards surrounding it. The Pirate King gets out first, Howl and Zara follow after, leaving me to take up the rear.

There's a sign over the entrance, a little broken but, I can still make out the words,

'Taeping Shipping Company'

The guards, dressed in dark green wave us though and in the lift we don't go up, we go down. On the third sublevel the doors open again and I'm greeted by harsh lights and white floors. Men and women move about with datapads in their hands. We move down a long hallway ending up in, what could best be described as a war room.

In the center there's a holo-table projecting the area around the tower with red dots on the perimeter. Around the table itself are men and women dressed, not in uniforms but, simple civilian clothes and business suits.

"I need the room." A voice rings out over the din of discussion. All at once the people around the table leave, leaving only an older woman in an emerald suit looking over the table. Her red hair is pulled into a bun and the lines around her eyes and mouth speak to her age but, they seem to add to her elegant looks giving her mature look. "Hello Haru." She says addressing the man I've only known as the Pirate King.

"Hello Mera." He replies face showing no emotion.

"I assume you're only here to ask me for something."

"I need your fleet."

A light chuckle leaves Mera's lips, "Of course you do, what with your precious 'Arcadia' being stolen right out from under you."

I see Haru's fist clench, obviously a sore subject to him, "Let's not worry about that, what do you need from me to get your fleet in system."

The Queen leveled her gaze, "First I'd need to be able to contact them, I ordered them to Aphran after the 'White Star' referendum passed. With the jamming field enabled, I can't reach them."

"I've been working on a plan to take that out but, we'll only have a small window to get a message out, you'll need to order your fleet in the moment the jamming is down."

The older woman shook her head, "No,"

"What?"

"I will not move my fleet one parsec, while the 'Arcadia' is under someone else's control."

"Are you afraid it will tear your ships to ribbons?"

"In fact I am," she put her hands on the table hunching her shoulders forward, "that single ship held off my ancestor's entire fleet. It will decimate mine in an instant."

"Even your 'Invincible' battleship 'Sylvania'."

"Captain Rho will jump out of the system the moment he sees it. He is no fool, the 'Sylvania' is the most powerful ship in my fleet and could go one on one with your death's head but, it won't come out unscathed. The 'White Star' support ships would tear her to pieces."

All this talk is overlooking one important thing, "What…" I start drawing both human's attention, "What about the hostages, if you jump in a fleet the 'Whities' will kill them all."

"Acceptable losses." Mera says without an ounce of remorse.

"What if your daughter was up there?" I reply pain entering my voice. Her cool demeanor falters for just a moment.

"That's not…"

"But it is, people's daughters, sons, husbands, and wives are up there. You can't just sacrifice them all." A fire is burning in my heart, if I'm here to represent the people of Carratos, by the Maker I'm going to. "We're here to save the people of this planet, not get them killed."

"Mr. Manx-Sandin, now isn't…" Haru says trying to calm me.

"No, you want me as the face of your fight, you're going to have to find a way to save everyone." I harden my gaze shifting it between the Pirate King and the Queen of the Stars.

"Control your pet, Haru, because he doesn't know what he's talking about."

I clench my fist ready to rail against the heartless woman but, the Haru holds up his hand, "He has a point, and I've been working on a plan to free the hostages but, to do that I need all the ships you have available."

"I told you already…" Mera starts glaring at me,

"Not the ones you ordered away, the ones you have stashed here, no planet." I see Mera's nostrils flare just a bit. "I know a smart lady like you wouldn't keep all her cards out in the open."

"If I give you these ships I can't promise I can crew them, and they're mostly shuttles and transport craft."

"You let me worry about that but, I need your assurance that I'll have the ships."

A long silence again descends on the room. Mera looks to Haru, then to me, I see something flicker in her eyes, did my point about her daughter hit that close. "Yes but, I won't move them until I have confirmation that the jamming is down."

"You have my word." Haru says nodding his head.

"I don't want your word, you're the same lair and cheat that you were when Amphitrite lived, I want his word." She thrust her chin at me, looking at me with piercing grey eyes.

"What…"

"You're an honest man Logan, if you give your word, I'd feel much better."

"Uh…" I'd never done this before, other than my marriage vows to Mikia I had never promised anything to anyone but, if it is to prevent more death, then I guess there's only one thing to do. "You have my word, the jamming will be knocked out before we order your ships to move." Once those words leave my mouth a weight settles across my shoulders. What have I done?

TAG: No One

22. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Jaeda Lerouex
    Commenor

The Carratos Pirates were one of the toughest teams to play in the Skywalker Conference. They were the team that had surged hard to the top of most analysts power rankings year after year in a rough and tumble division. They'd made some serious in roads into the playoffs as well but each time they had secured a playoff berth they had also crumbled against more experienced teams.

They were a threat to the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. Perhaps not as tangible a threat as the Mando'ade Mercs but they had proven their worth against the Burgundy and Black time and again in contests that had come to define how limmie was played in the Skywalker. Now Nar Shaddaa was coming to visit Carratos in a rematch of last year's playoff bout in which the Smugglers had emerged victorious.

"We have to focus," Shady was telling her team, "we have to focus and execute. We've been sloppy this season. We've allowed a lot of points and our offense hasn't been able to keep up. We need to win here. We need to go out and silence the Scallywags, mute their songs, destroy their fans spirit!"

Jaeda moved past her sister who continued to give an impassioned sidelined speech. The stakes were high here. A loss and the Smugglers would struggle to finish the season on a high note. It seemed so odd to think of Nar Shaddaa struggling after appearing in the Galactic Cup Final last year. She supposed that the team was due for a downward turn after their success in the 270's. So far, the 280's had been a strange mixture of highs and lows for a squad that had come to know quite a bit of consistency and success since 267.

Jaeda approached a brooding Mylessa McCloud, her headset dangling around her neck, and to her it seemed as if the hard fought gains of the last few seasons had taken their toll on her. Clearly losing in the Galactic Cup Final last year to Ralltiir had rattled the former two time champion. Suddenly her squad hadn't seemed so invincible. Of course, nobody could really fault her for losing by one point, in a heavily contested defensive match up to a team that had taken the definition of a contender and thrown it right out the window.

"This is where we either gain some momentum or dive toward a high draft pick," Mylessa said as she looked in Jaeda's direction.

"You really think this is the high water mark of the season?" Jaeda asked.

"We're halfway to success or failure. Our conference rivals are several games ahead. It would take a very strong push on our end to dash their hopes," Mylessa admitted, "but we've done it before. We did it last year. We pushed hard the year before."

"Lots of season left," Jaeda said," anything can happen."

Mylessa nodded and replied, "We have a good squad. Young but equally talented. Game's about to start. You best take your seat."

Jaeda nodded as McCloud slipped on her headset. As she made her way back to the press box she wondered how this upcoming tilt between two very similar teams was going to go.

Tag: galactic-vagabond422

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, and Ralltiir.

283 Week 7 Results

Carratos Pirates at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (14-21)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Mando'ade Mercs (19-1)
    Chandrila Patriots at Coruscant Senators (2-4)
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Stewjon Metropolitans (11-5)
    Bakura Miners at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers (34-27)
    Jakku Junkers at Denon Demons (7-23)

jcgoble3, Vehn and Jedi Gunny like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• In the midst of her 14th season Yadnugnav, head coach at Ralltiir University resigns
    • The Ralltiir Starkillers organization has announced an investigation of University practices. Several players drafted in recent years have few college credits on their transcripts only one has a degree. The Starkillers will not draft any players from Ralltiir University until it is proven academic requirements are being met by Limmie players
    • Ralltiir Uiveristy has declined to make a statement at this time
    • Coach Yadnugnav has gone missing. A warrant for her arrest has been issued
    • Chandrila Patriots shockingly still in playoff contention after strong week by the Solo Conference
    • HSN analyst: "Wait, what? Seriously? Reina Kether could actually rescue this tire fire of a season?"
    TAG: Runjedirun and those who love NPC teams failing :p

25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus potential for: Tatooine (28) Concordia (28) Druckenwell (28) Atzerri (28)

283 LFL Week 7 Results
    Gallinore Firedrakes at Kamino Waves (15-25)
    Druckenwell Marksmen at Thyferra Force (4-17)
    Atzerri Bandits at Byblos Red Wings (14-3)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers at Concordia Crusaders (15-7)
    Tags: @jcgoble3 Vehn Jedi Gunny galactic-vagabond422 Bardan_Jusik

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.