main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Elite League entertaining bids for Galactic Cup Final
    • Last three hosts (Nar Shaddaa, Rydonni Prime, Ralltiir) ineligible to host this year
    • League reportedly wary of hosting game on Bakura or Rydonni Prime due to local issues
    • Carratos also remains unavailable as a Final site
    • Sources say League "won't touch Chandrila with a 39 1/2 foot pole" when it comes to the Final given the Patriots' dismal record
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a cloudy and cool Taungsday afternoon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you. Lots going on in the galaxy of sports..."

"GCAA shock-ball tournament is in full swing."

"Yeah it is, had some great games there last night..."

"That U..."

"...But even better, did you see that Twi'lek sideline reporter? The one with the long lekku and big..."

"Hey!"

"...I mean she was..."

"I'm married Randy, can't talk about things like that on the air!"

"Why not? You're married, not dead."

"My wife listens to this show!"

"uhhh...Guys, we have millions of female listeners too, who I know are probably rolling their eyes and tuning you out, if not turning their wave sets offs."

"Oh c'mon, look how you reacted to that promo with the shirtless Arock that aired for the All-Star game..."

"That was creepy."

"Exactl...ohhhhh. OK, I get it."

"So..."

"So moving on, KMI rebounded from their first loss of the season with a 29-3 drubbing of in conference rival VTI."

"That was a good game from them, I think they're going to be OK."

"UBSD's loss this week won't help them in the rankings though."

"Both teams are playoff bound, you can book it."

"We'll see, we'll see. Of course we also have to talk about the Mercs loss to the Monarchs in the pro limmie game."

"If you can call it a pro limmie game, half the offense was out sick."

"Yeah Fu Arock came back from the All-Star game with some kind of bad virus, and he gave it to most of the other forwards. The only starting forward who played was Koop'er..."

"Who didn't even score."

"...and the offense looked completely lost under the guidance of Johnnie Clipboard."

"He looked awful, just awful out there."

"Completely disinterested in the game, I just don't think he cared."

"Well it's his free agency year, so if he keeps that up I think the Mercs will be completely disinterested in keeping him."

"Not to mention his off the field drama, the grand jury convening on Taanab..."

"I don't think the Mercs really care about that..."

"Well why should they? The league doesn't seem to..."

"Don't seem to care about the Rice allegations either."

"Oh...oh man, just had to bring that up again."

"You seen the holo footage yet?"

"Yeah...yeah I caved, and it's changed my mind now. That's just... Man it was brutal."

"I don't see how the team can keep letting her play after seeing that."

"They said they are keeping within the rules of the ELL, and since the ELL hasn't seen fit to step in, they won't either."

"They just know that there is no shot, none at all, at a playoff run without her anchoring that halfback line..."

"And since the league won't suspend her they can..."

"Yup, just putting it off on the league."

"Wonder how that will sit with the fans?"

"Well lets find out, time to open up the comm lines..."

TAG: No one.

OOC: The bit about the GCAA shockball tournament sideline reporter inspired by Runjedirun and the conversation started by her comment here.

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Rowdy Roosey

It was a brutal game for offenses, that was for sure. Neither side could get any traction in for scoring, but maybe that was the defenses just being dominant more than anything. Rowdy sat on the bench as she watched the stalemate unfold, the defenders on both sides digging in and not giving an inch. It was the kind of performance the Senator defense wanted to see each and every time out; they had given up far too many points in the games that turned out to be losses, and it stung. Rowdy knew the feeling; as defenders, when you got burned to a crisp there was no getting over that. Forwards could get by with subpar games, but defenders were not given that same kind of leeway. They either played well or they didn’t. It was a simple fact of the game.

Rowdy had only played in a handful of games thus far, when the blowouts were on one way or the other and she was in for garbage time. There was no way she was getting into this game, not with the way it was going.

And then it happened. An injury to Chestnut Reeser, the reserve half back, opened up the door for another back to get in there. With starter Jamee Meels getting another minute or two of rest, Coach Mercator advised that Rowdy get into the game. She wasn’t a defender on the stat sheet, as she hadn’t played on defense all year, but she would take the playing time all the same. After all, what was the point of dressing for a game if you had absolutely no chance of playing? If it was just a minute, she would take it. The chance to hit someone was an inviting possibility.

She only played two minutes on the game until she was subbed out for Meels. The Talz was fresh and energized again, and he brought the lumber the rest of the game. Reeser didn’t return to the game after being diagnosed with a sprain, so she was out for a little while. Rowdy didn’t collect any stats in the game, although she did get to bump her matchup hard twice, and that certainly made her feel accomplished. Getting to hit someone always felt good. It got the aggression and frustration out from sitting on the bench and hoping for a chance to get into the game.

By the end, the Senators escaped with a 4-2 win. Jayla Leed put in her second goal-less game of the season, and her fifth in the past two seasons. A lone goal was scored by Zuzu Nuun, and Laura Cellen had chipped in the other bar point, but neither had been easy scores. Chandrila didn’t want to let anything go, even though they were still winless and had little to play for at this point. But Keline Socken was a wily goalie, and she didn’t want to falter. It made things tough for the Senators, but they survived to move on.

Next up was Bakura. Now there was a story, team on strike, replacement players, apparently rejected by management, now undefeated through seven games. On the outside, it didn’t look like much of a challenge. But Rowdy had to remind herself that Limmie rarely ever made any logical sense. The Miners had something going for them, and it made them a dangerous foe. The Senators couldn’t sit on their laurels from this win and let the Miners surprise them. They had too much to play for. The Starkillers and Monarchs were only a game back each with four left, and the Starkillers had the experience and the tie-breaker advantage. There was little room for error at this point, and a loss to the Miners would push the Senators back into the fray of the three-team race for the two available playoff berths. A win was crucial at this juncture to try and make some separation going into the home stretch.

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Wylla Sniider

Shuttle Ride Back to Ralltiir

I don’t know what was more tense, that game or this shuttle ride. We were up from the opening minutes, but never by more than 4 points. The Metropolitans were within striking distance the entire game. Our offense did not quit. Best defense in the league did not keep them from scoring two goals today. One early from Bat Vigo and one late by Yolanda Dunerider. Even Lofykam and Wrehase got bar points today. Our whole team really played a good game.

I played all my minutes and I don’t feel as worn as I do after most games. I think Coaches Jul and Till were on to something with all that rest over the past two weeks. From here on out they told us we’d have one hard practice a week. I can’t believe that my first professional season is over half over already. Still we have nothing but tough games ahead of us. Starting with Nar Shaddaa next week.

The visitor’s locker room on Stewjon was a crowded place when we made our way to our belongings after the game. After a game all you really want as a player is a hot shower and clean dry clothes. Our locker room was full of reporters, mostly reporters who had come all the way from Ralltiir who wanted to talk about this sudden investigation going on at Ralltiir U.

When we left for Stewjon things were still developing. I got word that Coach Yadnugnav retired, I heard rumors not even her family could contact her, but somehow I just didn’t realize how serious this was or how fast it would escalate. It seems half our roster, most of us defenders attended school at Ralltiir U and we were hounded as we entered the locker room.

The first thing I was asked is if I graduated from Ralltiir U. It was embarrassing; I just pushed the reporter out of my way and kept going. It was impossible not to notice that Noah answered “Yes,” when he was asked if he received a degree. He’s the only one in our locker room who has a degree.

Kaat threw the question right back at her interviewer, “Do you have a degree from Ralltiir U?” She asked. Of course the reporter didn’t know how to respond so Kaat began asking more questions. “Do you have a career playing Limmie in the Elite League? How much is your annual salary? Did you even ask your stylist to cover up those greys or are you going natural because you think it looks more sophisticated?”

At least Kaat got the attention off the rest of us so we could grab our gear and make a break for the shuttle. Now we are all sweaty and stinky waiting for a turn in one of the two stalls on board. I’m also waiting for a meeting with my coaches on how to handle this “situation” when we get home. They are doing individual meetings with players who attended Ralltiir U and then a team meeting just before we land. So much for resting up after this game.

Several Hours Later

I’m sure of it now, my sister was right. This whole investigation was launched now just to get the media attention off the Vigo kid. Why else would they be doing this now? Richard could have started before the season. Coach Yadnugnav could have been given some warning. Since no one could find her for questioning Richard dug into her private affairs and found unpaid parking tickets that were enough to have a warrant issued for her arrest. I just about lost it when I met with the Coaches a few hours ago.

Noah could hear me screaming from his seat in the common area. It’s a good thing he told me back when we first started hanging out he received his degree. He was told to have someone else take his exams too, he just didn’t listen. The one time he didn’t listen in his whole life, I bet. Noah says he told the scrawny student who showed up to take his first exam that he would eat him if he didn't move out of his way and let him take the test. After that no one dared to show up to take any of Noah's exams for him. Noah really is smart, I should have done the same.

Lucky for Noah he’s not just street smart, he's smart smart. He did fine on all his exams. Fostiir is known to be smart, but he’s dumb as a rock. His secondary transcripts were all faked and he rarely even went to class at Ralltiir U. I’m jealous of Noah; I should have stood up for myself and taken my own exams. I just didn’t want to risk my chances of playing Limmie. Apparently other schools get special tutors. Why did my father have to get sick?

We all called Coach Yadnugnav, Coach Y. Ralltiir is Limmie planet, all other sports pale here. I always liked Coach Y, she taught me to be strong on the field while I worried about my father’s health during my first two seasons. Her door was always open when I needed a place to vent or a shoulder to cry on. Still she encouraged me to take off classes for rest and never advised I take my own exams. My feelings are mixed. I hope they find her. I hope she’s safe. I hope she has answers so I can forgive her for her role in all this.

Almost time to land, almost time to wrap my arms around Chow-Chow.

Next Morning Before Practice

Kriffing press. Chow-Chow started barking shortly after I got home last night and he hasn’t stopped since. That’s when the first speeder pulled up in front of our house. They knocked, I pretended not to be home. They’ve knocked on my front door, my back door and several windows. Okay, so it’s obvious I am here. Isn’t it also obvious I don’t want you here? Called Noah to find out what I’m supposed to do. I must have woken him up. He was definitely half asleep at best and he told me to call his Uncle.

Coach Till is on his way. He said he might have to call law enforcement to help get me to practice. Not that it’s gonna be much of a practice after being up all night listening to Chow-Chow bark at reporters.

The Following Evening

Coach Till was pretty awesome yesterday. He showed up with Ty Allin, Bat Vigo and Noah. They all threatened to use their defensive tackling skills on any reporters who didn’t get off my property immediately. Noah drove me and Chow-Chow to his condo and we left Chow-Chow there for the day. He lives in a building with security so no reporters can get in. I drank enough caf to stay awake during the morning meeting.

Coach Till actually let Noah take me back to his place so I could get some sleep in the afternoon and then I hit the field for a little private practice in the evening. Coach Till was really insightful and gave me some pointers for the game against the Smugglers this week. To say the least I’m intimidated about playing against the Smugglers, they have a reputation for playing dirty. Coach Till showed me how to block my face and keep from getting injured should a punch be thrown. He also stressed not to punch back.

Apparently the refs call what they see and Coach Till says in his experience they see everything done in reaction, but usually not what caused the reaction. Probably because the reaction is greater. It’s going to be awfully hard not to swing back if I’m punched at. The mentality is that a win above all else is most important. We are in play-off contention. I haven’t been able to say that since high school. I think I can keep my head out there. I guess I’ll find out in a couple of days.

Until then I get to stay here at Noah’s. Chow-Chow doesn’t like it much, he misses our yard. Honestly I don’t think people who just started dating, like us, should be living together yet. Noah chased Chow-Chow out of his bed so I set up a place to sleep here on the sofa with Chow-Chow. It caused a crazy ongoing semi-argument last night before we finally went to bed. Yes Chow-Chow sleeps in my bed with me at night. Do you think I bought a house so I could end up bumming on my teammates couch? This whole situation is so confusing.

Not long after I finally fell asleep Noah woke me and we carefully made our way back to his bed without waking Chow-Chow. You know when we woke up this morning Chow-Chow was in Noah’s bed with us. Just seeing how ticked-off Noah was to find him there made me laugh uncontrollably.

The morning only got better. When we flew up to the stadium in Noah’s speeder this morning he nearly wrecked it. That’s cause he saw this:

[​IMG]

Yup, that’s Noah they are hanging on the side of the stadium. You get voted into the All Stars and a banner HUGE of YOU gets hung on the stadium…too funny. He is so embarrassed. But he looks good. If only I could convince him. Not that I even tried to convince him. I was the "good girlfriend" that threw in "Look at the size of that thing," as we walked by it on our way into the stadium.

Today was our hard day at practice and it was HARD. I went back home after practice to pack for Nar Shaddaa. I also handed Chow-Chow over to my neighbor. The kid and his mom seem to do a really good job taking care of him while I’m away. I hooked them up with tickets to the last two home games as a way of saying thanks.

So that’s it tomorrow we leave for Nar Shaddaa. I may not be playing for the team I want to play for, but I made it. I’m in the Elite League, we are in the play-off hunt and all the big games are left on the schedule for us to prove ourselves. It’s all so exciting that I can almost forget the craziness at Ralltiir U. Coach Y turned herself in today. She’s being held.

Richard promised he will have her out before game time on Sunday. One thing about Richard is that he always answers or calls back. He and his family really do seem to care. Coach Till has been amazing too. He told me to let him know if his nephew does me wrong. On field he pointed out that his defense is ranked higher than it has been in years and gave me the credit. Now all I have to do is keep the momentum going…no pressure.

Tag: Vehn

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• "ELL is proud to announce that the 128th Galactic Cup Final will be held at Senators Stadium on Coruscant"
    • Galactic Cup Final Week will bring the ELL season awards and LFL Futures Cup Final to the world as well
    • Narrow decision over bringing the Final to Hapes
    • Jakku protests that they were not considered because of erroneous perception that their stadium "is a junkyard"
    • Jakku: "We might be the Junkers, but our stadium isn't a dump"
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny

6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Dash Stonlon
    Royal Limmie Grounds, Hapes

“Hey Dash,” Roy asked casually. By now the assistant coach had gotten used to lounging on the bench with his partner in crime even during a tense game like this one. In fact, Cardan was now joking he should start wearing floral print shirts and get some “drinks with fruit and those umbrellas” in them delivered to the game.

“Yeah Roy?” Dash asked. Despite the fact he didn’t continually rove the sidelines, he was still on edge. Tendra Nalo was looking every bit the all star that she had been when Dash had seen her a scant few days ago. The lady had talent, that was for sure.

“Seeing as we’re here on Hapes and women rule the roost, I figured I ought to ask,” Roy said casually. “You ever been in love?”

268 ABY
    Andalia, Hapes Consortium

Dash Stonlon shook his head as he looked at the Andalia LC team that he had for the season. He had never expected it would be easy to coach a Consortium Juniors league team, but the league had produced their fair share of talented players. You could get some pure athleticism that just needed molding to make it ready for the pro level. That was the benefit of a juniors league like this: some of the best players in the galaxy came here because they didn’t want to lock in to a university team for three or four years.

This team though...Dash had his doubts. Maybe leaving the college game behind on Bakura had not been the smartest career move.

As was to be expected, the majority of the team was female, but there were some male players on the field too. Even watching their early warmups he could tell they were young and undisciplined. They’d need something to give them direction, something to help them become a team. A system. Just what system...Dash didn’t know. He needed to see more of what he had. Fundamentals first, then they’d get into a playbook.

Dash surveyed the field. He tapped one of his assistants. “Who’s that wisp of a woman there?” he asked, pointing.

“The pale one?” The assistant consulted her notes. “Name’s Nanchecka Stormborn.”

“How’d she ever get out here? She’s going to get steamrolled,” Dash said.

“She’s Echani. They’re supposed to be real fighters.”

“Yeah, sure,” Dash scoffed.

Opening Day, 268 ABY

The first game of the season was always a little nerve-wracking, never knowing exactly what you were going to get this year. When you were dealing with non-professional players like in the juniors, you could ratchet the stress up to 11.

This time around, it was even worse than usual. They weren’t through the first five minutes and Dash already wanted a drink. The team was lost out there. Just their luck to draw a team that was returning almost exclusively second and third year players. Andalia LC was going to get stomped today. They could barely even get into the offensive zone.

Dash was just standing on the sidelines, trying to look stoic for the sake of the team (they were just kids, really), but in his head he was trying to imagine the possible excuses he’d have when he tried to explain the gap on his resume when he left out his tenure here. Already he had some good excuses:

“Kidnapped by pirates. The officials wanted it kept quiet so as not to alarm the public.”

“Amnesia. Hit in the head with a flower pot. Thought I was Chewbacca for a couple years. Just growled all day long until I got hit on the head with a bowling ball and I remembered who I was.”

“I went on a voyage of self-discovery through the Outer Rim. Haven’t seen a limmie game in years.”

It was as this last one came to him that LC flailed--for lack of a better term--the bolo-ball up the field. Nanchecka Stormborn caught it, slipped a defender, and scored a goal. Suddenly, the team had energy. It had purpose. It had hope.

“Maybe the Echani’s got something in her...” Dash mused to himself.

268 ABY, midway through the season

Andalia LC was, against all of Dash’s early predictions, in the hunt. They had lost their share of games, but they’d won a bunch too. Not only was it more than Dash had thought they’d do, but it was more than the league had expected. They were being hailed as the surprise contenders of the season.

It all had to do with the now-assistant captain Stormborn. She was still rough around the edges, but she was the fire in the team. Already they were using terms like “blue chip prospect” to describe her. This was someone, they said, who could go to the next level.

Right now the team was faltering. Dash called a timeout, ostensibly to let the team rest up. In reality, he wanted to talk to Stormborn.

“Nanchecka. You’re holding back out there,” he told the pale player.

“Their defense is too big,” she replied. “I don’t have room to maneuver.”

“They’re not too big. They’re too slow. You’ve got speed with your size. Use that against them. You have to buckle down. Good players stop where they meet resistance. Great players break through. You can break through,” Stonlon said.

Stormborn nodded and went back out on the field. Dash watched as she broke through.

268, playoffs

Nanchecka sat in the locker room, alone, head in her hands. The season was over. They had been so close.

Dash sat down next to her. “If it helps, it doesn’t ever get easier,” he said, sympathetically. “Trust me, I’d know.”

“I don’t want it to get easier,” Stormborn said, looking up. “I want to win.”

“If I know anything, it’s that you’re going to be a champion, Checka,” he replied, putting an arm around her.

“But not today,” Stormborn said as she put her head against his shoulder.

“Not today,” he agreed sadly.

269, regular season

“Are you frakking joking me?” Dash exploded at the ref. “He leveled her! Destroyed her!”

The act in question was a hit delivered to team captain Nanchecka Stormborn that left her slow to get up, but she was getting up.

“Your own team has done worse today and it’s all been legal,” the ref warned.

“That was headhunting!” Dash continued. “It was blatant! Intent to injure!”

“You don’t stop now--”

“Stop? Why don’t you do your frakking job and stop that travesty from occurring or I’ll go out there and make sure it never does again!” Dash fumed.

“That’s it, you’re outta here!” the ref said, ejecting Stonlon.

“You can do whatever you want to me, but you protect my players out there!” Dash said, his parting “gift” to the ref before retreating back to the locker room.

As he stalked away, he caught Nanchecka’s eye and he gave her a nod. They both knew that it meant that he’d always be there to watch her back.

270, pre-season camp

“We’ve got a chance this year. I can feel it,” Dash said. “We’ve got the talent to do it. They’ve come together as a team. Three years together, almost the same group the whole time. We’re going to take the championship.”

“You know it,” his assistant coach agreed as practice went on.

The stadium was empty today...except for a couple of visitors. “Who are those two?” Dash asked.

“Hmmm?”

“Those two,” Dash said, jutting his chin in their general direction. “Grand Moff Cheekbones over there and the ginger.”

The assistant picked up her macrobinoculars and looked. “The man...well when you’re right you’re right. Grand Moff’s not a bad title for him. He certainly looks like an Imp. And the woman...holy Sithspit. Take a look for yourself.”

Dash took the macrobinoculars and held them to his eyes. He didn’t believe what he saw.

“What the Korriban is Alana Glencross doing in my stadium?” he muttered.

Except he knew exactly why she was there. She and her companion could only be there for one reason. They were scouting.

And there was only one player they could possibly be interested in.

“So, should I do it?” Stormborn asked Dash.

No, she shouldn’t do it. She shouldn’t leave for the Elite League, taking away his only shot at a Consortium Juniors championship. The team would fall apart without her leadership and skill. She shouldn’t go into the ELL a year earlier than they’d planned. The ELL was finally thinking about instituting a Draft in 271. Based on the numbers Dash was seeing for guaranteed contracts, she’d become filthy rich in that, much better than whatever the Bakura Miners were going to throw her way.

But more than that, Dash knew she shouldn’t do it because he knew that he felt things for her that he had never thought he’d feel for another sentient being. He had lost so many games, so many things, even his Ma. He didn’t know if he could stand to lose Nanchecka too.

“Yes, you should,” Dash said. “Show the galaxy what you were born to do.”

Checka hugged him tightly. “I’ll never forget you.”

“Don’t say that. You have bigger things ahead of you than some also-ran coach,” Dash said, patting her on the back. “Go. Live your dream.”

270 ABY, end of season

Andalia LC’s season had ended long ago, a long way off from playoff contention. So had Dash’s tenure. It had come to a crashing finale even before the season was over. They’d waited to fire him until after the regular season, but everyone knew that it was a foregone conclusion that his time on Andalia was done.

But his season was not over. Not yet. There was one thing left to watch.

“And the winner of the Ingbrand Award is...Nanchecka Stormborn of the Miners.”

Dash smiled and raised his beer to the holoprojector in the bar. He was probably the only patron who didn’t think it was background noise. He kept smiling as his Checka accepted the award and thanked her teammates and Cundertol.

“And there's one last person I've got to thank--” Nanchecka said.

Stonlon’s heart skipped a beat.

“--Gaeriel Valerii. I would have never thought I could have played corner forward, but the last two games since she moved me there to make room for Aron have been two of the best games I've ever played. Here's to a lot more where they came from. Thank you. Thank you!”

Dash looked down at his beer. All was as it should be.

271 ABY, end of season

The confetti was falling on Ryloth, but Dash wasn’t there. He was back on Bakura, at least for now. He’d been hired by Yag’Dhul United for 272, which was looking to get back into relevance in the GCLA. It was going to be a tough uphill climb. They had avoided demotion, but hadn’t done anything else for a while. His work on Andalia had apparently been enough to get him noticed and they were willing to take a chance on him.

Right now his mind was far from Yag’Dhul. His neighbors were still going nuts. They were all like him, watching as the Bakura Miners lifted their first Galactic Cup in over a decade. It was a joyous moment. They were proud of their team, a team that had non-humans on it, a team that had won the hard way, against a Vandelhelm Jets squad that had been heavily favored.

But none of them were as proud as Dash when Nanchecka Stormborn lifted the Galactic Cup, just two years after she’d played for him.

“Good on you, Checka,” Dash said to his empty apartment. “Good on you.”

That feeling of pride was no smaller--in fact it grew three sizes--in 275 and 277 when she did it again and again.

“Yoo hoo,” Roy Cardan said, waving a hand in front of Dash’s face.

Dash blinked a few times. “What?”

“Never mind,” Roy said, patting Dash’s knee. “You spaced out there. That look means I know the answer to my question. That’s a look of a man who’s known love.”

Dash wasn’t going to argue that. “How about you?” he asked instead.

“I’ve loved a lot of ladies in my time,” Roy reminisced, “and some of them, oh...they were the stuff of legends. Never did get anything to stick. Sometimes it was the drink. Other times it was the game. Mostly it was the drink because of the game. Funny thing is though, neither of them love you back.”

Dash’s attention was caught by Orlon Kandarar making a late save on Nalo. That save would have put the Bucs ahead, and this late in the game they might not have ever given it back.

“I don’t know, Roy,” Dash mused. “I think today, the game just might be loving us both back.”

“She’s a fickle lover Dash,” Roy said.

“If I learned anything over my years, it’s to live in the moment,” Dash said. “And today...it’s a good moment.”

TAG: jcgoble3

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Mikia Sandin-Manx
    Commenor

Here I am alone in a hotel room again. Inside I still feel hollow empty. These past few weeks have done nothing to change that. We were about to face the Smugglers a big rival, I can remember being fired up about facing them in the Conference Finals last year, I can remember feeling something when we faced them. Now it feels like just another game, another game I'll watch from the sidelines. I look out over the city, it looks almost nothing like O'pahz, my home the place I grew up. There's a knock at my door, I only slightly turn my head,

"Who is it?" I say weary from my non-action.

"It's me." I know the voice, it's Sylvanus.

"What do you want?" I shout though the door.

"Look, I've got some people I want you to meet." He replies not even asking to be let it.

"I'm really tired Sylvanus, maybe another time." I don't feel like doing that, being around people is just tiring.

"You're isolating yourself again, come on, it'll only be for a few minutes."

"Sylvanus I just want to go to sleep." This is getting tiring now as well.

"I'm not taking no for an answer this time. You've brooded long enough, it's time to come out."

I feel anger rise in me, "What would you know." What gives him the right to criticize me.

"You can't fill the emptiness inside you if you put nothing in." His words cut though me, how could he know, could his 'physical intuition' detect loneliness and, depression?

"Just go, away." Dealing with the was also getting tiring.

"Come on Mikia, humor me, just for a few minutes, I'm sure you can work it into your busy schedule." I sigh deeply he is serious about not taking no as an answer. In the back of my mind I know he's right, it's just getting the rest of me to agree that is the hard part. Lazily and with my head hung low I get up.

"Let me get changed." I put on a pair of pants that haven't been worn too much recently and a hat, unwilling to deal with my unkempt hair. Outside I squint my eyes against the light in the hallway. Sylvanus stands there in a Pirate's t-shirt smiling.

"See the light doesn't burn." He says trying to be funny, I unfortunately am not in a joking mood. The smile fades from his face and he leads me out of the hotel and to a bar just around the corner. Inside there are people drinking laughing, 'having fun' I believe is the term. I remain unmoved, when did I get this cold, this unfeeling. He moves towards a particularly boisterous table, tapping a large human on the shoulder. The being turns around reveling an older face with a long thick beard and messy brown hair.

"Sylvanus," The man says taking the Balosar into an uncomfortable Wampa Hug, "What took ya'"

"I had to pick up a friend Bun'yan," Sylvanus replies wheezing under the strain of the bearded man's grip. I feel like I recognize that name. It takes a bit but, I finally recognize him, 279, the first Cutthroat Carnival, he was part of a team from the Namadii Corridor League, the Jacks…no the Lumberjacks.

"Oh," Bun'yan says looking over to me, "Mikia, we met before."

"Yeah," I reply feeling horribly out of place, wanting desperately to return to my room, "Cutthroat Carnival 279."

"That was one great party wasn't it."

I look away, I don't want to remember that, it's too close to home, a home I can't go back to. I harden my heart and my face. "Sylvanus I'm gonna' go."

"Leaving already, ya just got here." Bun'yan says.

"I'm worn out from practice, I shouldn't have come in the first place." I make my way towards the exit, I hear Sylvanus's foot steps behind me.

"I'll see you at the game then." The burly human calls out.

I stop, turning my head to face him. "What?"

"You think we came out here just for fun? We came you see you play."

"We?" I ask again still confused.

"Yeah, we made the trip from the corridor to be here." Suddenly I start recognizing faces, I've seen them before, they're all players in the NCL. "We also brought a lot of our friends as well."

"I think we can make a pretty good 'White Spot' for you guys." A Mon Cal says, lifting his head.

"Yesss," a Tandoshan adds, "I've even been learning to sssing 'Drunken SSSSpacer'"

I feel something, for the first time in a while, I feel a little spark of something. "It'll be great to see you on the field again Sandin." Bun'yan continues.

"I think it's Sandin-Manx now." The Mon Cal corrects his pal.

"Oh, sorry about that,"

I wave my hand dispelling the words, it doesn't bother me much when people forget my last name is hyphenated now. "You want to see me play?"

"Yeah, you may not get all the press your husband does, or your big friends in back, but you've been holding down the right side since you were drafted and up until recently never missed a game."

"You think that highly of me."

"We admire the whole team especially with all that is going on, other teams would have canceled their seasons, not played a game but, you guys, you kept going, that takes grit."

"Yeah, if Aphran was in the same situation, the Lumberjacks would be inconsolable."

Bun'yan's tone is oddly serious, "No joke, Aphran is our home, to hear that we were cut off from it, I don't think I could play with all the worries and fear running through my mind." A smile returns to his face. "But, you Pirates are carrying on, and winning too, those rookies of yours, they're lighting it up out there."

"Hey, don't forget Leigh, she's still the star of that operation, you saw how she played against the Demons, tore them to pieces."

Bun'yan reaches a long arm and pulls up a chair, "Come on, take a load off, we've got so much to talk about." His smile, even under all that facial hair is warm and inviting. Part of me wants to run, get far away from this place, all this positivity is making me sick. Another part of me is desperate to stay, desperate to feel connected to something. "Come on, you deserve a break." Finally my mind comes to a decision. I take the offered seat, and start to feel the corner of my mouth pull up. It's not a smile, but, it's as close to one as I can muster right now.

_____

I walk into the stadium feeling, lighter, a little different. There's still that empty feeling inside but, it feels somehow less, more bearable. At the core I still feel that ember, that coal of…of, something. My muscles are aching, like there's something inside that wants to be let out. Once in the locker room I approach Coach Ryeli,

"I'd like to play Coach." I say feeling a bit of nervousness in the pit of my stomach. I hadn't ask this question since secondary school and I was nearly begging the coach to put me in. The lanky Duros looked me up and down with her red eyes.

"You should coach I think she's ready." Sylvanus says from behind me. A long breath leaves the coach's nostrils.

"Miss Kaesse has been doing a good job in your stead." She crosses her arms looking over to the Sephi that had been doing a fantastic job but, I still feel this urge, it's not the passion I felt before, it's just a need. I need to move, I need to hit someone.

"Please, I can do this," I do my best to keep my voice professional "I've got more experience than Vahava," I feel a bit of guilt from pulling rank on the younger player just getting her chance to shine but, soon that guilt is consumed and forgotten. I guess sometimes feeling nothing can be a good thing.

Again a pause as the coach glances over to Vahava then back to me. "I'm already swapping Rakshiss out for Sabah, so I might as well put you back in."

I thought I would be happy, ecstatic, at getting put in without much begging. Though all I feel is a little relief. As Coach Ryeli announces the change I see V's face sour, Tiv, drafted in the same year makes her way over and pats the defender on the shoulder. The pain of guilt I would normally feel is quickly devoured by the emptiness inside me.

I step on to the field on Commenor, the field the Gundarks play on. I look up into the stands seeing a sea of Burgundy and Black, and other colors. Then my eyes fall on a bright spot, shining like a beacon in the stands, a spot of White and Black. That coal in the blackness heats up. They were here, the guys from the Corridor League, along with their friends. I set my feet as the match begins, Cutty steals the ball away from Mitchell, rushing down the field. Ariel keeps pace and Tian is right there, they're trying their best not to be out run by the 'Flyer', as some of the fans had taken to calling her.

The shot is stopped cold and thrown back down field, Paak gets into position, and I step up with her. She tries to get around me but, I'm not going to let her. Not out of pride but, because I know that's what I have to do. She pushes me trying to get better position, I stand firm. She glares at me maybe trying to get a rise out of me. Unfortunately for her, I'm not able to feel much at all. I prevent the pass to Paak forcing the paly to the right side. Iceman collides with Ponie but, not before he gets a pass off to Lerouex. Boutros rushes the forward hitting her mark with a force that I can hear from my place on the field.

I look over my shoulder as the Zeltron punts the loose ball down field. She takes time to turn around and glower at Lerouex. Even from here I can since the animosity between the two of them. The play moves fast back into the Smuggler's zone. Ariel gets the pass from Seiji and rushes the net. Hardy puts a stop to that with a punishing hit from Ariel's blindside. I wait expectantly for a penalty to be called but, none is. My brow furrows, that was obviously unnecessary roughness, if not more. As Blackwood looks to pass I get setup on Paak, she's not scoring on me, I won't be the reason the Smugglers score first.

The Smuggler's goalie passes to the center of the zone, to Wiles and Else, another relationship that has some bad blood. After a bit of a struggle I see Else come away with possession. A few moments later though the ref's whistle blows, it's a penalty. I look up expecting it to be against the Smugglers, hoping that Wiles tried something nasty again. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, as the ref explains the call, it was Else that drew the penalty, elbowing. Possession switched instantly to the Smugglers and they came roaring back.

Even though no goals were exchanged in our first attacks, it set the tempo for the match, fast offense, and punishing defense, sometimes too punishing. After Ariel scored the first goal for us, putting us into an early lead, Drago, the mountain of a man nearly body slams Seiji into the dirt. The ball rolls free from the poor Iktochi's grasp and he's slow to get up after. I know I should feel angry, want revenge for the brutal hit leveled against my teammate but, still I struggle to feel anything. Fortunately, or not, Else and Leigh look like they're feeling anger, enough for the whole team judging from their expressions.

The Smugglers tie the game on a 'Maverick' goal from the center, just as quickly Ariel puts us back into the lead. Time for the first half begins winding down and the Smugglers are fired up to score. They charge down the field knocking Masters and Lucy out of their way. Sa'Akhuun pulls down a pass from over Bestide's head. I start falling back but, the pass is already away to Steele. Ame'shepa'sabosen misses his tackle and burgundy and black tie up the game with minutes to go in the first half. I know we need to hold on, keep it tied, not give them a chance to get ahead, even by one point.

While I know this, I don't feel it. My heart isn't pounding in my chest, my muscles aren’t burning it is such an odd sensation, a feeling of cold calculation. Qazi makes a short pass to Bel that is broken up by Mitchell, in a, I would say, nearly suicidal cut between the towering Muun and Quarren goalie. His move is so quick I don't even see him make a shot. The only evidence is the sound of the goal horn going off. Qazi slams his fist into the ground frustrated that we're going down by a goal into the halftime break.

At the half I find my place and sit. I get several smiles and pats on the back for my play, saying it looked like I was back. I don't feel like that. I feel colder, detached, like I'm just playing a part. The void inside me continues to just suck all my joy and frustration into it. Despite all that, I still feel that subtle warm sensation in my heart, why isn't that snuffed out, why does it still burn, however weakly.

The break flies by and we're back on the field again under a screaming crowd, looking up I still see the 'White Spot', the warmth gets a little hotter. The match starts and Cutty again shoots off down the field scoring a quick goal to tie the game. The play moves constantly around the field, never spending too much time in either zone, always getting stopped by the withering defense both teams have put up. Tian gets the ball from Leigh but, has her legs taken out from under her. The crowd cheers but, I hear a boo from the 'White Spot'. The Pantoran forward is slow to get up and is limping a little. Dayhavest gets a penalty but, Tian doesn't have the strength after that hit to put a lot on the penalty kick, it is easily stopped.

Blackwood passes to the right, to an open Dayharvest, Tian unable to keep up with him. Leigh plays smart keeping close to her marker waiting for a pass. Cutty breaks off from Konder to put pressure on the left corner back, forcing his pass to Tran which Leigh picks off. It's a lightning pass to Cutty and we tie up the game. The young forward throws her fist into the air with a shout, we could still win this.

As the Smugglers rush down to put us away I start to feel something. Paak gets the pass from the midfield and I rush forward. My mark spins away but, not before her elbow strikes me across my cheek. The ref doesn't call anything, probably thinking it's 'incidental' contact. As the blood drips from the wound, I feel that spark become a conflagration. Something finally breaks inside me.

I feel the sadness and pain I hold from not knowing the fate of the man I love, that's the void inside me, that's what is taking away my passion. It's the fact that I miss him fiercely but, in all the loss I forgot something, something very important. Limmie is my first love. I started playing this sport long before I even knew about boys, and longer still before I met Logan. Turning to catch up to Paak, I take a long blink, letting go of a bit of my pain. I may have made a commitment to Logan but, I've dedicated myself to this sport, ever since the day my father took me to that public limmie field, this is my life.

I catch up to my mark at take her to the ground preventing the pass, Ame'shepa'sabosen picks up the loose ball and punts it into the midfield. I get up looking at Paak, I'm slightly indebted to her, without her prodding I would have never been able to get by my passion, to remember who I am. In the midfield the play turns around and Lerouex gets the ball. I hear a shout of anger and a thunderous hit from that side. Look over to see Boutros glaring down at the forward shoulders square face set in stone, eyes flaring with anger. Lerouex gets up giving her own hard glare at the corner back. A penalty is called but, the two players don't separate. I start making my way over getting ready to break up a fight.

The ref stands between them hoping to cut off any hostilities. The crowd holds its breath, I know these two nearly came to blow last time they met, is this the point it boils over? Another long moment passes and they finally walk away. Lerouex takes her penalty kick and makes it. After that there was no coming back. Else and Seiji make a bar point each, and more penalties are called, even from my place on the field I can feel the simmering tensions between Lerouex and Boutros, this rivalry just got some more blood spilt.

I see the doc about the cut on my face and start packing up, even though we lost I still feel good. I actually feel something which is a huge change for me. Everything seems just a little brighter, just a little better. Our friends from the Corridor come down to greet us and Bun'yan smiles at me.

"You played with heart Sandin-Manx." He calls out, "No loss can take that away." A single tear comes to my eye. I'm sorry Logan, I have to put you away for a while, I have to live my life. You're still a part of me but, I have to make it less of one, I hope you understand.

TAG: Vehn

(OOC: Sorry for not having anything for Logan this week, by the time I was done with this part, the post was already over 3,000 words.)

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Kala Fani Alaree

Kala was sitting face-down on the massage table getting a very memorable massage from the masseuse when the news came in. It was rather difficult to focus when your face was staring intently at the floor, or at least at the carpet, instead of sitting or standing normally. But the news was enough to make her want to get up . . . at least if the massage wasn’t such a pleasant experience that she wanted to savor it.

The news was hot off the press; the Senators were going to host the upcoming Galactic Cup Final and LFL Final, not to mention the Elite League Awards. The All-Star Game used to come with it as a package deal, but since that event had been moved around in the schedule, it was now nothing more than a free radical on the League calendar. But this was big news; Kala would have her chance to show off in her first true year as owner of the franchise, a chance to prove that she belonged here in the Elite League with all the rest. It was an opportunity to make a stamp mark that would leave an indelible impression on all that saw it that she was just as glamorous as any other owner or franchise could be. And if there was something she knew other than glamor, it was business. Winning the bid meant money – a lot of it. She could squeeze millions out of this deal, not just in broadcast rights, but also on the ticket sales, concessions, and general hoopla. It would be a spectacular event, and it would be hers.

The first call went to team management to inform them that this was really happening and that they would need to be ready for whatever the visionary team Kala would put together would have in store for the Final. There wasn’t much time to scrape things together, so the second order of business was to assemble a team to get the plans Kala had in her head into reality. She wanted so many things for this Final, so many ways to show off not just her own brand, but the brand of her team. But not everything could be done. They had the facilities and the hotels to work with, but how to leave a lasting impression on guests was the big conundrum right now. They didn’t have time to construct elaborate sets or anything that would be different from past Finals. Setting up a street fair wasn’t a question, but it had to be different than prior Finals. The fans came to expect it, and Kala had to make sure her fair would be top-notch. After all, the fans here on Coruscant needed something to reinvigorate them after a tough decade. The team was looking better this season, but they also had an identity to uphold. They were representing the Core regions here, and Coruscant itself. They were the Galactic Capital, so the party they threw had to fit that role. It had to be a huge event.

It also put on the pressure. The team would now be expected to compete for the title, which was asking a lot for a team that hadn’t seen that kind of consistency in a decade. They had the pieces to win, but not the track record of success. Their coach was new to the team, they had a new owner, and things hadn’t been easy in recent years. So the expectations were going to wear on the team, and push them to work harder. But it could also strain them towards a breaking point. Missing the playoffs when hosting the Final would not only be hard on the fanbase, but it would also be devastating financially for Kala and her visionary team. Being able to hype up a potential contender for the Cup in the weeks before the Final would only help their efforts to pull off this event, but having a team miss the playoffs entirely would take an edge off the event for the local fans. It was hard to keep their interest in the League playoffs when their team was out of the running. That was not a unique problem to Coruscant – it happened in every sport. So the team had to contend; they had to finish this season strong.

The third call was to the man who knew the most out of anyone about the franchise, the man who had made everything run for a long string of success that fans on the planet now longed for. Kala had roped him into the fold when she had taken over the reins of the franchise, and having the “Magic Bothan” in her back pocket would now come in handy. Surely he had ideas on what to do for the event. After all, it was his home, and where he had made a name for himself on and off the field. Kala was a girl from Corellia; she grew up a Rebels fan, and they played against the Senators. She didn’t consider this home, even though her team was located here. But Gark S’rily was home. He would find something for her to use, she was sure of it. On a team made up of outsiders to the Capital, he was one of the locals who knew how things worked here. She would have to trust his judgment on what the local fans wanted to see. If that meant her needing to pull some strings, she would do it. This would be her party, this would be her event. And she wanted to make sure that it was a success.

She wanted to believe her team could take the pressure and reward her faith in them. She had seen the light in her own life, and that had changed her relationship with the team. She was no longer the absent owner who was more worried about her appearance than about the team. Now was her opportunity to give back to the fans what they needed – hope that this was the year their team could snap the playoff cold streak. That this would be the year they could go all the way. That this year it would be a party on their turf, no matter the outcome of the Final. This would be the Capital’s chance to shine under the lights, and Kala wanted to make it the biggest event she could. Pride, not just money, was on the line.

TAG: No One

9. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Jaeda Lerouex
    Nar Shaddaa

Jaeda sat in the press box as the stands at Six Boroughs stadium started to fill up. She felt like her writing had been in a slump lately. The words weren't coming out to convey the action on the field and there had been a good amount of action. Nar Shaddaa had played Carratos on a neutral site and won. They'd also laid a dud the week before against conference rivals the Hapes C-Bucs.

The team wasn't playing strong limmie. They weren't playing weak limmie either. It was an average year for a squad that should've been anything but average. The soaring offenses led by Mylessa McCloud had disappeared this year. Maybe it had been the draft strategy: the focus on restocking the defensive shelves. The team had yet to thoroughly crush an opponent and that could've been a result of young talent or Autumn Graves not utilizing the defensive back half effectively.

"You're Jaeda aren't you?"

Jaeda turned and her eyes widened. Standing before her was Omar Mosk, "Prime Time", the man who held down the anchor sport at Vertical City Sports Network, VCN, for the last however many years. He was an idol to her. His unique mix of entertainment and news was classic. His delivery was like a freight train rumbling through the warehouse district. He was a legend.

"Mr. Mosk," Jaeda replied standing.

"You can call me Omar, young lady," Omar replied.

"What brings you up to the press box?"

"You, actually," Omar said, "I like the way you write. The way you think. I like the way you look even though you're like fifty years my junior. I need a successor at VCN."

"I think you're talking to the wrong person," Jaeda replied, "I'm not an anchor."

"No, you're not," Omar said, "but you're going to train under me starting today. Imagine the headlines, if you will, "Lerouex Punches the Lights Out", and everyone is thinking of your sister but you are the star. It's one of the most watched holo programs in this trash infested city."

"I'm honored but I don't know what to say," Jaeda replied.

"Say yes to "Prime Time" baby, say yes to "Prime Time"," Omar said.

"Yes!"

Tag: No One

jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, and Ralltiir.

283 Week 8 Results

Stewjon Metropolitans at Mando'ade Mercs (30-20)
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (11-13)
    Chandrila Patriots at Denon Demons (1-25)
    Carratos Pirates at Jakku Junkers (14-12)
    Coruscant Senators at Bakura Miners (13-32)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers (5-18)

jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Senators sign Shen Shyall (Shistavanen, Female, Half Back, Ralltiir Starkillers) for the remainder of the season
    • Shyall is two-time champion with Ralltiir, but had yet to find a team for this season
    • Senator coach Kyril Lopaki: "We hope she (Shyall) can help solidify the back line down the stretch run"
    TAG: Jedi Gunny

Runjedirun, Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a snowy, yes snow, how are we even getting snow right now? Taungsday afternoon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh man, do we have a show for you. Mercs dropped another one this weekend and I gotta say, I'm feeling bummed."

"Three straight losses now, and they are really on the outside looking in on the playoff picture now."

"It's...it's not looking good."

"And from what we're hearing, the team is feeling it too."

"All Star cornerback and free agent to be Tuvaash Mauntak saying in post game comments in the locker room that he is sick of losing..."

"Yikes...and that wasn't even the worst of it."

"...and that if the Mercs fail to make the postseason again this year, his walk year, that he is out. Gone, see ya."

"That's the worst of it."

"I just...I mean I know he is competitive..."

"Every athlete is."

"...but to say that in the midst of the season..."

"It stinks."

"...I mean that's just not the thing to say, they have three games left on the season!"

"Yeah three must win games, and they're going to be tough."

"Nal Hutta's moon, Chndrilla and Jakuu. I mean yeah, the Smugglers are the Smugglers but..."

"Well with the way the Mercs hav been playing I don't see them even taking two out of three there."

"The Pats are winless!"

"Means they are due for a win, and I am guessing it's against us."

"Jakku has only one win!"

"Same principle."

"That makes no sense, it's not like the scores here are random!"

"I know, I know...but I'm just saying that the Mercs are winless, winless, this season when they score under 30 points in a game. I don't see them being able to put up over 30 against two out of those three teams, and so that is at least two losses. Maybe all three."

"So back to the draft for the Mercs again..."

"Which is Mautnak's problem. He is a great player, a former rookie of the year, and a former champion. He wants to win and that doesn't seem to be happening a lot here lately."

"You wonder who else we'll lose..."

"I dunno, I dunno. but Vizsla has 13 players about to go free agent on this roster..."

"Don't forget we traded away our first round pick this season."

"To who?"

"The undefeated Miners..."

"Oh that's great, that's shabla wonderful."

"You have to wonder if, or even when, this is all going to come back on Vizsla."

"What..."

"He is tasked with building this team, and though he had some success back in 279, since then it's been a disaster. Draft picks not working out, trades he's lost, now the issues with his first round pick, a pick that was a stretch to begin with."

"Yeah, Rice should have been vetted more, but she didn't do anything wrong until after she had been draft..."

"No way that was the first time she acted like that, no way."

"Her issues cost the Mercs the chance to host the finals again this year too."

"What?"

"That's insane, they haven't been willing to step in at all regarding her why would they..."

"Think about it, both the league and the Mercs are getting hammered in the media over this."

"Yeah."

"Letting the Mercs host the Galactic Cup with that hanging over everyone's head would be horrible, horrible optics for the league."

"Yeah, but that's not..."

"Hey it's just a rumor that I've been hearing..."

"A rumor."

"...from a lot of my sources."

"Great, just great..."

"She sure is causing the Mercs front office some problems."

"More disruptive off the field than on it..."

"And her play lately isn't even justifying it."

"Just horrible, and another black mark against Vizsla..."

"Well his contract, and Coach Kor'le's too for that matter, are up for review after next season. So I am guessing barring some sort of miracle turnaround this season, that they are going to have one last chance at righting this ship, or we are looking at a complete tear down of the Mercs franchise."

"Yikes."

TAG: No one.

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Rowdy Roosey

Sometimes it just wasn’t your day. This was definitely one of those times.

The Bakura Miners were simply dominant, continuing their hot streak at the expense of the visiting Senators. It was strange to see a team of players that the Miners apparently didn’t want now going undefeated through eight games, setting a new record for the Era in the process for an undefeated streak to start a season. Heck, the old seasons didn’t even go eight games, and no one was undefeated through all seven of those games, so this was a major accomplishment. They were going places as long as they kept up this play.

On the other side of the coin was the frustrating inconsistency of the Senators. They were coming off a hard-fought 4-2 win over Chandrila, where Jayla Leed had put in her second goal-less game of the season and fifth in two years. In this game, she was shelled constantly by the Miners and their very short, but capable, forwards. It was extremely tough on the defenders to keep the diminutive Bimms from having their way, and it was even worse on the psyche to have a man who had never played Limmie, as far as any of them knew, beat them. And he was the Miner team physician, not a long-time Limmie player. It felt like black magic, what the Miners were able to do with such short notice and with no proven track record coming into the season with these players, but they were getting it done somehow. These were the days when you just hung your head and knew you had been dominated. The Miners wanted the game more, and they had shown up to play. The Senators really hadn’t, and it showed.

Rowdy had gotten a taste of the Miners in action first-hand. She had come in late in the game, yet got absolutely leveled by one of the Miner defenders, she didn’t know which one. They all looked the same in a way, same stature, same attitude. She had taken shots like this before, but usually from opponents that she was similar to in size and weight. The Bimms were neither, but they had completely upended her, and that would likely leave a mark. Rowdy was secretly glad that time ran out in the game soon afterward, because that was an eye-opening experience. The Miners had stumbled across something here. Why Quinn Cundertol was so foolish by not signing these players earlier, no one knew. They had talent and a roster cohesiveness unparalleled in the modern game. As much as you feared them for what they had been able to do, you also had to respect their teamwork. They worked as one and played as one. It was something the Senators needed to do week in and week out.

Next up was Rydonni Prime in a very important conference game. Win, and the Senators were sitting pretty with two games left. Lose, and they were stuck in the logjam that was the Solo Conference playoff race. No one was eliminated just yet, so finishing off Denon and Jakku was important. But Ralltiir still had the advantage of the tie-breaker, so winning against the Monarchs was essential if the Senators wanted to make the playoffs and have a shot at playing for the Cup in front of their home fans.

But they wouldn’t get anywhere near there if they kept turning in bad performances like this. The screws had to be tightened, and their focus needed to be redirected. It was usually losses like this where you had no other option but to look inward and try to figure out what went wrong. It was times like this where you had to learn the hard way how to be successful on the pitch, because if you weren’t dedicated to your craft, there was no point in showing up. The Miners had a reason to play hard each time out, and it had rewarded them. Now the Senators had to find the same level of performance in the final three games of the season, or else it would be another long offseason. The last thing they wanted was another mid-season collapse; they had to finish strong.

TAG: Trieste

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  14. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus potential for: Tatooine (28) Concordia (28) Druckenwell (28) Atzerri (28) Thyferra (28)

283 LFL Week 8 Results

Thyferra Force at Tatooine Sandskimmers (1-10)
    Atzerri Bandits at Gallinore Firedrakes (14-16)
    Byblos Red Wings at Concordia Crusaders (6-17)
    Druckenwell Marksmen at Kamino Waves (16-15)

Tags: Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3@Jedi Gunny Vehn

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Bakura Gardens, Bakura

Dash never allowed standings to be posted in his locker rooms and banished all talk of such things. If a team got thinking about where they were, what this game meant, they’d heap pressure on themselves to perform. They’d think too much about what they were doing and they’d stop doing. It was a recipe for disaster.

Even so, he knew what was at stake today--and he knew what was would take the other side of the pitch today.

The Bakura Miners and Coruscant Senators had met 24 times since 262 and their series stood at 12-12. This might not be a surprise, for reason suggested that over such a period of time things would even out. That wasn’t always the case. Last week’s opponent, the Buccaneers, had a 1-11 record against the Miners in the same period. This was no commentary on the Bucs’ overall strength--they sat in a playoff position after all--just the way that a team could sometimes have another’s number. Not every matchup regressed to the mean. The 12-12 record was testimony to the fact that even though one team had the upper hand in a stretch, both teams had seen their successes against the other.

Dash had noted the Senators’ hard work ethic at the All-Star Game. Their top players were indicative of the rest of the team: they never gave up today, even at the end. That was what made a rivalry real. If he had been on the other end, Dash wouldn’t have given up either. It was how you showed you were proud of your team. He could see the Senators’ disappointment in their eyes, but he also saw their pride. Orange and black meant something deep and profound to them.

With the game completed, the Miners celebrated their third rivalry trophy win of the season, lifting the Rosewood Gavel once more. At the end of the day, the hash mark in the win column was more important than a trinket to Dash...but he’d be lying if he said that he wouldn’t enjoy looking at that piece of wood later, knowing they’d earned it.

Dash had gotten used to the media as a head coach, but not a gaggle of reporters like he faced today. It felt like the whole galaxy was pressing on him for immediate, postgame comments.

“Coach Stonlon,” a Zabrak said, first to get in, “8-0, the first team since 246 to ever win eight regular season games to start the season--how does it feel?”

“Pretty darn amazing,” Dash said, “but the credit goes to the team. They brought their best against a tough Senators team that’s got some great talent on it. I don’t think the score represented how this game went. This was not a sure thing.”

“Coach, I know that you don’t want your team thinking about what’s happening in other games--so much so that you didn’t allow off-world scores to be shown or publicized in the stadium today, so you probably don’t know that with today’s win and losses by Ralltiir and--this just in--Rydonni Prime, the Miners have not only secured a spot in the playoffs, but you’ve won the Solo Conference and have a first round bye, the third straight for the Miners. What do you have to say about that?”

“Well I’d say first that those other two belong to Gaeri and the other Miners, but I guess she must have known something I didn’t when she asked me to take this job,” Dash said with a roguish grin.

“Other thoughts knowing that, no matter what happens, you’ll be going to the Solo Conference playoffs and playing here, at the Gardens?”

“Och, I’m not thinking about going anywhere beyond Denon. They’re a team that’s fighting for their playoff lives. They’re going to be tough.”

“Not going to let your foot off the thrusters then?”

“Don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I don’t have any reserves to play that would take my hand off the thrusters,” Dash said with another smile. “No, we’re going to give it everything we’ve got, every single game.”

“You say you’re not going to think past the next game, but will you take a little time to enjoy today’s victory?”

“Haven’t you heard? Head coaches don’t ever get to be satisfied,” Dash replied with a wink.

“Thanks Coach Stonlon. Congratulations again.”

Dash left the field and Roy took up position next to him as they headed off the field, saluted and applauded by the home Miner fans. “Dash-o, just when I think I’ve seen it all…” He shook his head. For a being who had once been a head coach and gone 0-7 in a season before being fired with one game to go, the emotions of Roy Cardan were probably beyond description at this moment.

“Roy, if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that you’ve never seen it all in this game,” Dash said, “And I’ve got a feeling that things are only going to get crazier from here…”

TAG: jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny

Runjedirun, Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Monday

Dear Data Pad:

Worst game ever. When we ran out of the visitors locker room and took the field on Nar Shaddaa yesterday afternoon we felt invincible. Coach Jul had given one of her best pep talks of the season. We were about to play a re-match of last year’s Galactic Cup game. This wasn’t just our chance to prove that game was no fluke, that we are the best team in the Galaxy. It was also our chance to grab a tighter hold on that play-off spot we were so delicately clinging to.

For the first half we were invincible. On defense we could do no wrong. We played it clean and simple. I’m not sure any of us believed how easy it was. I had expected a much worse fight. Needless to say when we walked into the locker room at halftime with a 10-0 lead our confidence was as high as the nosebleed seats. Coach Till warned us. He said Nar Shaddaa was holding back. They’d see right through our defense in the second half and we needed to make some changes.

At the end of the warm-up session before the second half Noah pulled us into a huddle. He said he didn’t want to make any changes. We were winning he said and he wanted to stick with the strategy that had worked in the first half. Noah’s been in this for a long time. As a rookie I wasn’t about to argue. The other players have started trusting Noah as the season has progressed as well. We just won two games in a row. What could go wrong?

Everything. Everything went wrong. Shady and her Smugglers quickly put up two bar points and then scored a goal. Coach Till called a time out. He was fuming. “What the hell are you all doing playing two up front?” He demanded. “You played two up front in the first half, I wanted 3 up front. You all got turf stuck in your ears?” Some of us called out “No sir” or “No Coach” I looked over to Noah who hung his head. I’m sure Coach noticed too.

Our offense wasn’t getting anything on the board and even though we started to make some plays we were rattled now. Balls got by all of us that shouldn’t have. I lost track of my man completely more than once. All Shady had to do was look me in the eye and I’d trip over my own feet. We ended up losing 11-13. Can you believe it? I bet beings at home turned the game off thinking we had an easy win coming our way. We let a lot of beings down today, our fans, family and most of all our Coach.

The locker room was eerily quiet. Coach Till stood in a corner with his arms crossed and an unwavering scowl on his face. Noah threw on a hoodie and headed for the rear exit. Coach moved quickly, he grabbed Noah took down the hood and led him outside into the hallway forcing him to take questions from reporters. I followed my teammates to the shuttle. I was so worried about Noah. He and Coach Till were the last people to board the shuttle when they did Noah took the seat next to me. Noah didn’t say anything, he just threw a blanket over his head and hid there until we landed. Even when our meal came he ate under that blanket.

Richard Vigo was waiting in the spaceport when we landed on Ralltiir. He waived me over to let me know I could go home, if I wanted. He also had arranged for me to meet with Coach Y tomorrow. When I let Noah know I was going home he barely acknowledged me. I’m worried about Noah. I sent him several texts telling him the loss wasn’t his fault. I told him I still want to be his girlfriend. It was meant to be a joke. I don’t think Noah is in a joking mood today. Hopefully he’ll get over this soon.

Chow-Chow is happy to see me and happy to be home. We had a surprise visitor when we got home tonight too. Mrs. Till brought Tomas over to apologize for coming over to the house the night of his accident. If you ask me his mom is being a little hard on him. Didn’t the kid suffer enough to have his legs crushed in a speeder accident? Tomas was using a walker this evening. Instead of being down about missing the entire second half of his Limmie season he’s concentrating on getting ready for swim season. He’s also anxious to be on the sideline again for the final two games of the season. He says he’s going to assist Ty.

Noah finally texted back. Only two words, but they are very reassuring. He says: “I’m o.k.”

Tuesday

Dear Data Pad:

Meeting with Coach Y was somehow worse than I expected. She wanted to know how I liked playing in the ELL. When I said it was mostly good she tried to explain away why she and the University cheated to have better Limmie players for so many years. She asked if I realized that my college wins could be forfeited. I had not considered that. Now that I have, I have decided not to care. My contract here is signed. If I invest my credits well enough I should be able to live the rest of my life comfortably.

I’m going to get my degree starting this off-season anyway. If I ever really need another career I suspect I’ll be able to find one. No thanks to Coach Y. She wanted me to feel sorry for her since she’ll probably never work again. Problem is I don’t. She cheated too many athletes out of an education and there were several who weren’t as lucky as me to go on and play for the ELL.

Ralltiir U is a complete joke of a Limmie program now, that’s for sure. So many of their players were put on academic probation that they had to hold open try-outs to fill open slots just to get enough starters on the field for their remaining games. They also had to promote a student to the Coaching position, because no being wanted the job. I’m sure someone will take it next season. Some being is desperate enough for a Coaching position at a college. Eventually the ship will right itself and this will be nothing but a blip in the history holos.

I left the meeting knowing one thing. I got to tell my former Coach what I thought of her program. I told her she was a coward for not believing in us as students. I was boiling over with emotion when I left the meeting. I arrived at my locker to find a note from Coach Till. Apparently he was having one on one training sessions with each defender. My time slot was about an hour away. I grabbed an energy bar from the supply room and went out on the field to warm up. Noah was lying on the sideline. “What’s wrong?” I asked.

“My Uncle,” was all he said. I asked if the training session was that rough and he nodded his head. I got a little worried because no one on our defense is in better shape than Noah. Kaat called me out to dribble the ball around, so I ran out and we played keep away from all the males on our team aside from Dev who was in with Coach Till. My time to go see Coach came quickly so I ran for his office where he said to meet.

There was a treadmill in Coach Till’s office. He told me to hop on. He said he knew we had all gone against his instructions in the second half of Sunday’s game and if we’d won he would be declaring us all geniuses. Unfortunately, he said with an evil grin, we lost. He started that treadmill and ran me to speeds I didn’t know I could run. There were times I really felt like I’d fall off and he’d say “Trust me you can do this, just like if you had trusted me and played three up front in the opening minutes of the second half we would have won. Run faster!”

He was right. I was able to keep up with that treadmill. My legs feel like mush now that it’s over, but I was able to keep up. We probably would have won that game if we’d listened too. Noah made a formal apology to the defense at the end of practice. I’m sure his Uncle put him up to it. We all could have spoken up. Noah better be over this by tomorrow. He wouldn’t even come over and take Chow-Chow for a walk with me after practice. He said he wanted to concentrate on Limmie this week.

Early Sunday Morning

Dear Data Pad:

We are on Jakku now. We landed just before dinner. Our team meal was normal. We all went back to our rooms. Kaat got some text and asked me if I wanted to go to a watering hole. “You know people here?” I asked. She looked at me as if I accused her of knowing people in prison. Eventually she explained that some of the team was headed out. I was skeptical because the rules are pretty clear no one is to leave their room after a team dinner on the night before a game. This time is strictly for last minute study of tape, reading our playbooks and sleep. I imagine most of us just watch holos in our room, but the idea is we are resting for the game.

I just told Kaat to go ahead. I didn’t feel like going out. Kaat wouldn’t take no for an answer. She even persuaded me to invite Noah. Her persistence got worse when I said Noah and I hadn’t gone out at all this week. In fact the best conversation I had with Noah all week was the conversation we had about the Sandskimmers game. Now there’s a team that is winning games this season. Noah must have watched the game after practice on Wednesday. While I was watching Chow-Chow clean his dinner plate I got a 2 page message from Noah on my data pad.

He broke down the whole game for me. Willi Mayes Hays is having a phenomenal season with the Sandskimmers. Noah hopes the Starkillers call him up next season. The other star on the Sandskimmers is the keeper Padme McKenz. In any other franchise she’d have been promoted by now. The Starkillers big problem is all the keepers we have. Cliff’s success has Kaat playing back up for the back line. She says she hates it, but that’s just Kaat. She says she hates everything. Truth is to stay on the team she’d probably take a position as the team dietitian if she had no other choice. Now that’s a scary thought.

Kaat made me feel so bad about my boring week at home that I agreed to go out. I even texted Noah to see if he wanted to come. He begged me not to go. I was kinda upset with Noah at this point for not getting over last week yet and for not wanting to go have a good time. I certainly never entertained the idea of listening to him. After thinking about my week I had my mind made up that I deserved to cut loose. Kaat told me to leave the room first. She said if I ran into anyone to say I was going to the lobby for clean towels.

I made my way to a public transport station. I had a ball cap on to cover my purple hair, a very plain pair of denim pants and a blue shirt. I imagine that most beings had to look twice just to decide if I was male or female. It’s just something I’m self conscious about. That’s why I wanted to go with purple hair. No guy would dye his hair purple. When I got to the watering hole I quickly forgot about being self conscious.

Bat Vigo was the first person I spotted at a table with Kenny Wrehase and Yolanda Dunerider. Frokabukk was there too, but he stood behind the table more like a body guard than someone enjoying a night out. The whole Galaxy watched as Bat Vigo was lead to prison just a few years ago for flying a speeder while under the influence of alcohol. Bat didn’t get behind the controls of a speeder tonight, but he supposedly made a promise to our Coaches and his family he wouldn’t drink again. When I got to the watering hole there was a half empty glass in front of Bat and I watched him finish it. That drink and many more that followed.

Bat waved me over. Dev came in a moment later and we started to fill a second table. I ordered something I was familiar with and nursed it slowly. I didn’t want to wake up with a hang over on a game day. I bet you are going to think that things got out of hand. Well they did a little bit, but not to the extent you’re thinking. For a long time we just sipped on ales and made small talk. Things that probably weren’t that funny had me and other players in stitches on the floor.

A female twi’lek came in; she’s on the dance team. I don’t really know any of the beings on the dance team, but I recognized her right away. She was overly friendly with Bat. A small crowd of beings had gotten up to dance to a local band that was playing. After seeing Bat dance at the after party a month ago I shouldn’t have been surprised when he led the twi’lek over to the makeshift dance floor. Maybe I was just surprised because I know he has a wife and kids back home. Maybe he just likes to dance and his wife wouldn’t mind. Who am I to judge?

Bat’s seemingly good at everything he does and he soon had an audience as he and this twi’lek chick began to dance just like the twi’lek does when she’s on the Limmie field during half time. Patrons were whistling, skin was showing, things were shakin’. Bat pressed his body up against this twi’lek so tightly that I had to look away. Between dances he would down entire drinks. Eventually Frokabukk put his arms on Bat’s shoulders and roared some instructions I didn’t understand.

A speeder pulled up out front. Bat and the twi’lek got in the back seat. Kaat and I took public transport back to our room. I’m here now. We’re drinking caf to prevent any problems in the morning. I barely have a buzz, because I’m drinking caf I can’t sleep. Kaat is having a field day with the fact that I keep a diary. “What are you 12?” She asked. I didn’t tell Kaat but writing is therapeutic and when I took that creative writing course I got good marks without help from other students. After I retire from Limmie I’d like to write a memoir.

Caffeine and/or alcohol buzz be damned. I better lie down. Kaat just started snoring on her side of the room. At least someone should be rested for tomorrow’s game.

OOC: Special thanks to Vehn for allowing me to live out the idea of my team being ahead and losing all control. It's a game I've wanted to play since the Packers/Seahawks NFC battle in '15. A tale of two halves. The close score no real indication of how the game played out. And Spieth blew the Masters this week too, so I just wanted to play it out like we had it in the bag and the contents in the bag were too heavy causing the bottom to break.

Jedi Gunny, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  17. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire. Merr-Sonn.

"They call it simply the game, and it's one of the biggest rivalries in college limmie. This one meant even more as it pitted #1 Ord Sabaok against the #2 GVSU Pilots and the game didn't disappoint. Back and forth with over a dozen lead changes throughout, but in the end, Hail to the Victors..." "I hate you." "...as Grand Vulptur State takes care of business and will go on to the S-16 championship game where they'll meet up with #5 team in the Galaxy, Coruscant Polytech."

"Zeltros U will take on Eridau Tech in the other Conference title game over in the Big-20."

"Elsewhere, the Golden Bears of UBSD are your Bak-10 champs after finishing out a one loss season. They look forward to meeting the winner of the S16 in the Carnation Bowl"

"University of Csilla finished up their regular season undefeated, but the pundits aren't buying their success, not with that schedule of theirs. They're still outside of the top ten and are going to need help in Bowl week if they want to make the playoff."

"And in the SEC, Taanab A&M went down hard against KMI who look to have now sewn up a Sweetner Bowl berth after defending home turf and rocking the Aggies 24-1."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: All/No one.

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Shameless HSN Headlines
    • UBSD head coach Jon Draper vows Golden Bears aren't happy with "just a conference title"
    • Draper: "But what is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness. I won't settle for 50 percent of anything. I want 100 percent."
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  19. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Mikia Sandin-Manx
    Jakku

Force it's hot here, it's like an oven every time I step out. I where the lightest clothes that I can, and I sweat thought them. I notice the locals wearing light pieces of cloth wrapped around themselves. I'm used to playing in warmer weather, given that the Limmie season is during O'Pahz's spring and summer but, this is something else, tonight though I'm inside playing Sabacc with Leigh. There are others here, Cutty and Ariel among them. They didn't seem to care about trying to beat Leigh, the obvious leader judging by the stacks of markers in front of her. They seem only interested in beating each other. Leigh is having great fun using that to her advantage, driving the pot higher before swooping in with a winning hand. Me and Else are content to just watch this play out, anteing up and playing when we have good hands, but, not as aggressive as Leigh, Cutty and Ariel.

I look at my junk hand, a bit like this planet, and fold instantly. Else hangs in for a little many wanting to see how things go between the three offensive leaders. The rookies were tied in goals but, Leigh had the lead in assists which both of the newbies were severely lacking in. I let out a deep breath, I still feel a little empty but, it's not as all-consuming as it was before. I still find myself plastering on a smile now and then around my team but, I've found this is better than wallowing alone in my sadness. Sylvanus never joins in mostly for our benefit, his physical intuition gives him a serious unfair advantage. I still think Leigh could give him a run for his credits, because she's as cold as ice, staring almost right though Cutty.

The blonde haired forward fidgets with a bottle of alcohol. It is an amber liquid with a picture of a horrible deformed beast on the label. It is green and looks like a rancor's grandfather. The script above it spells out 'Rancor Killer' when asked she says she picked it up on Denon, it a rather popular small batch whiskey. I've tried a sip, it strangly bubbles on it's way down your throat and when it hits your stomach, it feels like an inferno in your guts. I don't understand how she stands the stuff. Else is content to just drink rum, a stable amongst the Pirates now, especially after Rhodri kept such a healthy supply around.

I note that Leigh hasn't touched her drink, keeping her wits about her. I glace to Else wondering if she's noticed that her friend was not imbibing even though Cutty and Ariel were working on their second drinks. Cutty shows her hand confident that she had the veteran. Leigh doesn't smile, doesn't even smirk as she crushes the rookie's hand. Cutty looks a little hurt, crestfallen, she thought she had Leigh. Her shoulders slump forward her eyes look down, Ariel stifles a laugh. I can't hold back, I let off a laugh, a laugh that feels like it comes from my soul. Cutty and Ariel go bust at the same time to a good hand from Else. At the end of it all it was Else and Leigh staring each other down.

Leigh's mask never broke but, Else's flickered just a little. A smile grows on my face as the game comes to a close, the blonde haired half forward winning. It felt really good to finally connect with the team again, I didn't realize how much I'd been missing it. After calling it a night I return to my room and sleep as soundly as I had before this whole ordeal started.

_____

I start in the next game playing against the new kids, the Junkers. I can remember playing on a new team but, I was drafted in the Pirate's second year in the ELL, and we tore it up that year. Our first year was a bit of a disaster, Coach Copin was still getting use to the difficulty curve he was up against, and it seemed the same with these Junkers. Not that it really shows in the way they play. McBuckerson despite her short size is very agile. She scores once when I just lose track of her. Thankfully my blunder doesn't cost the team, as Cutty scores right back keeping the game tied.

With lightning speed the white haired rookie breaks up a defensive play and slams the ball into the back of the net. With us in the lead I start covering my diminutive mark as close as I can, seeing it as practice for the Miners the week after next. Their ability to overcome team after team despite their short stature is impressive. I just hope that I fast offense is enough to counteract their stalwart defense. I see the pass to McBuckerson from a long way off it's along the ground making it harder for me to just pick it off. My much longer legs allow me to secure the ball and pass it back into the midfield.

I'm grateful for the halftime break, a break from this heat. It's a tied game with the Junkers making up the goal. I think most of the team was expecting an easier game than the one against the Smugglers. While it isn't as rough as the game against the team from Nal Hutta's moon it's still difficult. Cutty feeling a little smug being that she'd scored both our goals in the first half looks down at Ariel, which is hard for her to do seeing how they're both about the same height. Just like at the card game it's almost like they aren't playing against the other team just each other.

Back on the field the crowd cheers the close game that starts off with a quick attack by the Junkers, their full forward getting the drop on the Flyer Cutty. I stick close to my mark and so does everyone else. Kala is back in the lineup after Boutros nearly came to blows with Lerouex. I don't blame her Smugglers are a rough team, and that hit on Tian was a little low, the Zeltron was only responding in kind. The towering Corner Back looms over his mark preventing any pass from connecting. Qazi makes the save and tosses it back into the midfield.

Ariel scores twice but, the Junkers again match her. Time is winding down and we are doing everything we can to prevent the home team from getting ahead of us. Cutty and Ariel are fight hard too but, none of their shots are getting through. So many times I see the pass that could be made but, they don't take it because that would mean that they wouldn't score. Leigh gets fed up with it this late in the game and calls for a pass from Else. It comes as Tian rushes down the field, Leigh follows but, chooses to go for the bar point. It sails easily over putting us ahead by a single point. That's all we needed. I weather the next rush by the Junkers and Else scores another point to seal the deal. A deep sigh leaves me, for a moment there I thought we were going to lose but, we pulled though. No loss could ever hurt more than what we've already lost, our home.

_____
    IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    O'pahz, Carratos

I open my eyes pinching the bridge of my nose. The nightmares are less but, still there, at least I can sleep. My thoughts are constantly drifting towards Mikia, and how she's doing. With the media blackout, I have no idea how my team is doing, they could be working on a winless season. I look over to Den and Howl readying weapons. There's a look of connection between them, a glimmer of something. Last week was a successful mission shipment of weapons, the 'White Star' aren't having any luck getting the locals to build them weapons. I was there as they were handing out arms to the 'Army' that had been growing.

It's an odd sensation, young, old, and all in-between dressed in whatever clothes they had on their back. When they noticed me many faces brightened and, they shook my hand smiling broadly. Many had stories of hearing my message and answering my call to arms. I feel a little proud and a little worried, these men and women are throwing themselves into harm's way inspired by my words. I wasn't on the front lines for the last attack but, watching on the holo I see beings in black shirts but, not like the Star Dragons, they seemed to have white accents, some even were simple Pirates T-shirts possibly bought at Goss-Pell before it was destroyed.

The Pirate King walks in cape swishing behind him, his one eyed gaze falls on me. The way he swiveled his chin told me I am to follow him. I do so with Zara tailing in my wake. Howl and Den move as well but, the King holds up his hand, stopping them in their tracks.

"Just Mr. Manx-Sandin," he says in a firm tone. The two mercs back off but, Zara stays close. The cloaked figure glares, his one eye piecing though the Zygerrian, "Just Mr. Manx-Sandin." She backs off.

Nervously I follow the one time legend into a waiting speeder. We travel deeper into the city near the ruins of the stadium. Again I keep my head down but, I do see beings on posts armed to the teeth clad in straight black. A large Trandoshan stands in the way, as he leans in I see a dragon tattooed on his neck, several teeth filled in. Were all these people Star Dragons, was this were they were all holed up this whole time.

The Pirate King drives us to an unassuming building, windows were boarded up with ten to twenty burly beings looking all around. Above the main entrance to the building I note a rather battered sign that says "Cho's".

Inside the room is colored in purple accented in gold. I move pass more guards and inside I see a towering Kerestian, I half wonder if he's a relative of Kala, a shorter Zabrak was flanking him. In-between them is an elegant Pantoran sitting legs crossed sipping on a glass of wine.

"To what do I owe the pleasure 'Old Man'. She calls out nodding at the Pirate King.

"I've come to negotiate," he answers, "Baroness."

Her gaze falls on me and I sit up something about the way she holds herself, even in this relaxed posture she has power.

"I see you brought your Face as well." She says with cool words that sends shivers up my spine. Her yellow eyes seem to look into my soul. "What do you want 'Old Man'?"

"I need your Dragons."

"I'm afraid," her voice somewhat sympathetic but, it seems false. "my Dragons are a little pinned down holding on to what territory I still have." Her voice drops on the last word, lack any warmth false or not.

"Baroness," the King retorts, "This is bigger than me and you, this is about…"

"If you think I'm going to sacrifice my power for your little endeavor, you've come to the wrong place." Her voice maintains its cool tone.

"Baroness I need your fighters to push the 'White Star' off this planet."

"And what if you fail, I will be defenseless against their attacks."

"That's if we fail, if we succeed they will be broken." The king steps forward putting a hand on a nearby table

"Have you seen their forces on the ground?" the Baroness replies her eyebrows and voice rising at the end. "They have enough men and material to effect this war for months even if you cut off their supplies."

"But, without their leverage they can't keep the Republic out any more, their armies will come down and bring order."

"Ha ha," her chuckle is icy lending to the cool atmosphere that had settled in, "Do you really think the Republic is going to lend any aid in a timely manner, they can't even pass a budget to keep the government funded." She takes another long sip of her wine before settling her frosty gaze back on me. "What do you think Mr. Coordinator?" she lifted her glass, toward me.

I take several breaths trying to overcome the ice in my veins. "How long do you think you can hold out if we do nothing?"

She cocks her head slightly intrigued, "I can hold out for a bit."

"Long enough for the 'White Star' to give up?" I say trying to match her gaze but, I can feel my heart racing. "You said yourself that they have the capability to keep this fight going for months, can you, without any help?"

"I've lasted this long, and it's much easier to play defense is it not."

I cough into my hand, "I think my wife would beg to differ."

There's a slight scoff from the cool woman. "I'm glad to see that this whole situation hasn't taken away your sense of humor Mr. Coordinator." The smile disappears as more weighty matters come to the fore. "I think we are done here." The giant Kerestian steps forward crossing his arms.

"Wait," I say moving forward, almost instantly the Zabrak is at my side hand held back ready to strike. I hold my head up. "If we break the blockade, the 'White Star' will lose all leverage, not just on the Republic but, the people. Many are afraid, worried that if they rise up their loved ones will be put in danger. We take that away, there will be a ground swell of support the 'Whities' can't hold the ground."

"Are you sure?"

"It's just a feeling, the people are scared they fear the sky, if we free it, there will be no more fear. This is their home too, they'll fight for it."

She leans back and flicks her wrist her two bodyguards move forward, I don't resist, I've done my best all I can hope is that she helps us.

TAG: No One

jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir.

283 Week 9 Results

Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Mando'ade Mercs (15-35)
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Chandrila Patriots (17-8)
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Jakku Junkers (19-24)
    Bakura Miners at Denon Demons (7-26)
    Coruscant Senators at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (26-1)
    Carratos Pirates at Stewjon Metropolitans (30-18)

jcgoble3, Vehn and Jedi Gunny like this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus potential for: Tatooine (30) Concordia (28) Thyferra (28) Atzerri (28)

LFL 283 Week 9 Results
    Kamino Waves at Atzerri Bandits (25-12)
    Concordia Crusaders at Thyferra Force (10-8)
    Druckenwell Marksmen at Gallinore Firedrakes (4-5)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers at Byblos Red Wings (28-14)

Tags: galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Bardan_Jusik Jedi Gunny Vehn

22. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! from downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm, it's a victooooooooooory afternooooooooooooooooooon...."

"Been awhile since you've been able to say that."

"...welcome on into the...oh yeah it has way too long. Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you."

"Mercs put up a great great win this weekend."

"It was a great win, a must win game against a quality conference opponent..."

"It was The Game of Rivals!"

"And the Mercs not only pulled out a win when they needed one..."

"Ending a horrible losing streak in the process."

"...but looked absolutely dominant in doing so."

"Yeah they looked good, not easy to put up 35 against that defense."

"Most points they've given up to any opponent all season."

"It really was an uncharacteristic game from them..."

"Paak looked a little rattled out there, playing in Meshla Vhetin for the first time..."

"It couldn't have been easy for her, I know she grew up idolizing the Mercs and dreaming of playing on this field. to come in as a player for that team from nal Hutta's moon had to be tough for her."

"The fans didn't take it easy on her either, if anything they were harder on her than anyone else."

"Yeah, and it caused some unforced errors on her part, turnovers that led to easy points for Jaing and Arock..."

"You got Arocked!"

"...in transiton."

"Really helped the Mercs to take control early, and they never looked back after going into halftime with the lead."

"I've been looking at some numbers here and I don't think the Smugglers have even allowed more than 30 points prior to this game..."

"Makes sense, they did have the 4th best rated defense coming into the game..."

"And after the Mercs put up a 35 spot on them, they're back at 8th..."

"A spot behind the Mercs believe it or not."

"That's unbelievable, the Mercs defense hasn't really been all that good this season..."

"I don't want to get into that again."

"But the offense is still tops in the league."

"Yeah, but they need that offense, they are still winless in games that they haven't scored at least 30 points in."

"That's a tough, tough statistic to swallow, but in a way it's good."

"How?"

"Because they have more wins than losses on the year right now, so that means they are putting up a ton of points."

"Well they are going to have to keep it up for two more games, the next one at Chadrilla being critical."

"Another conference foe, a win there would guarantee an above .500 season..."

"Which is no guarantee of a playoff berth."

"...and a.... Oh yeah, I remember the 281 season. But it would also give them a winning conference record, something they didn't come close to in 281."

"Still no guarantee of anything, the Pirates..."

"I hate those guys."

"...Mets and Bucs all have better overall records than the Mercs. We'll need some help to make the playoffs, even if we win out, and that's a big if."

"Well it could be a lot worse. There's just two games left to the season and the Mercs are still fighitng for the playoffs. Hopefully they can string a couple more wins together and build up some momentum either way."

"Still going to need help..."

"I hope the it's from the Mets, I really hate the Mets."

"More than the Pirates?"

"Or the Bucs?"

"Yeah, I don't know why."

"Because we've never beaten them?"

"It's not that, it's... it's the way they play. Like no one is really in control over there. Makes losing to them extra irksome, and seeing them in playoffs seems just downright wrong."

"Yeah, you'll get no argument from me."

"Going to need to win our last two and have them lose their last two if we hope to overtake them, they have the tie breaker against us..."

"Again."

"Well, guess I better start praying to the limmie gods now..."

"With the way the season has gone I'm surprised you haven't been already..."

TAG: Vehn (who came up with the thoughts for how our game went, particularly Paak's struggles)

Trieste, Runjedirun and Vehn like this.
  23. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012

Sunday Night

Dear Data Pad

When we left on this trip I would have said nothing would be more embarrassing and awful than losing to Jakku. It was a little bit of both. Well more than a little bit. I made some mistakes on this trip I won’t make again. Luckily I got a message from my dad right after the game. It was a message reminding me to learn from the loss, not dwell on it. He also told me he was and always will be proud. Dad always lifts me up after tough losses. Ever since grade school he’s been my biggest fan and supporter on the field. Now I remember why I took that spot at Ralltiir U when he got sick. He’s so proud of me becoming a Starkiller that if I can prove I’m good enough to keep around I just might stay.

At least today’s game was not like last week’s game. We didn’t get a big lead and blow it. We never got a lead at all. The heat was more intense than I was ready for. Noah was right when he told me to stay in last night. I think the alcohol is what caused a scary moment for me out there today. It was only midway through the second half. We were very much in the game. In fact, we were only down by two points. I noticed that my legs were slowing down on me.

At first I thought about all those miles my sister does and thought maybe I should be doing them with her. I remembered that this hasn’t happened to me before in a game. Suddenly I realized despite the heat and the blaring sun in my face I wasn’t very sweaty. I reached up to touch my forehead and it was bone dry. I realized this could not be good. My mouth was wet so I licked my hand and swiped my forehead with saliva. For just a second I felt relief from the heat. I’m sure I used the tactic about ten times, doing my best to be discreet about it.

Several minutes later another goal was scored on us putting us down by 5 points. Coach Till called a time out. Several players grabbed water cups and poured the water over their heads. I did the same. I felt instant relief. Defensively we played well enough the rest of the game. I really can’t critique our play because I was getting a major headache during the remaining minutes. It was one of many, many times playing Limmie when I know I should have bowed out. I just couldn’t. Not in front of Noah, not in front of Kaat or Dev or any of my teammates.

As soon as I got on the shuttle I sipped water and took a nap. Surprisingly the headache is nearly gone now. I’m eating my meal in small bites and I’m sure that by the time we land I’ll be fine. I’ll be fine not just because my headache is gone, but because Noah gave me a hug after the game. He faced the press without trying to hide under his hoodie and he begged me to not give up. I know what he means. Two seasons in a row the Starkillers have barely slid into the play-offs in the third spot and two years in a row they have won the Galactic Cup.

Our season isn’t over by any stretch of the imagination. Surely this isn’t the position we want to be in, but look at our defense, despite the number of losses we are ranked 5th in the league. In 281 the Starkillers defense finished in 11th place overall and in 282 they were 10th. Noah said I should be a shoe in for Rookie of the Year. I wish he was on the voting committee. He’s been trying to make up for last week this entire shuttle ride. It’s rather cute and more than amazing to know he missed me as much as I missed him.

Tuesday

Dear Data Pad:

I never told Noah about my hydration scare or the headache. I figured it was my own fault and I was too embarrassed to let on. I should have realized my Coaches were going to analyze tape and see my actions on field. Luckily they didn’t suspect I went out the night before the game. Mostly they were worried about my well being. Coach Jul took me aside before practice and made me promise to come out of the game if I have any dehydration issues or aches and pains in the future. She even reminded me that if I had gotten the proper fluids quickly I may have been able to perform better and possibly even save the game.

There was only one thing to do after that conversation. Go get ready to take on the Monarchs, another team fighting desperately for that final play-off spot. This game is a must win for us if we want to stay alive. I had a lot of fun in practice today. We worked on some skills that I really needed touching up on. Such as catching wobbly passes, or stray fly away balls. It’s tougher than people sitting at home on their sofas realize to get underneath a zig zagging Limmie ball while you got beings coming at you from all angles either trying to catch it themselves, take you out or catch it and take you out in the process.

Catching the ball is one thing. Being aware of your surroundings, controlling the possession and getting the ball off our end of the field back to our offense, well that’s just a lot of work. Work well worth it. I’m so determined to win this week. Ownership has a back up plan. They sell out the last week of the season no matter what because when the Miners come to town they are retiring Ty Allin’s jersey. The whole planet wants to be there. Tickets are already impossible to get.

There’s no contingency plan for me. I win or my first season as an ELL player ends next week. That’s why when Noah came over after practice we rushed through our dinner and ran more drills out back. Chow-Chow loved it too. He got under our feet in an attempt to get the ball making the drills that much harder. Noah even said that we should have Chow-Chow at practice sometime. I wish, I waited my whole life to get a pup and I rarely get to see him because I’m working all the time, or worse we are on a road trip.

Saturday

Dear Data Pad

It’s been such a busy fun and exhausting week. All I can do now is sit here with my feet up until dinner, put them back up and hope all the hard work pays off on the field come game time. What’s strange about this week is the amount of time I spent with Noah and how little I still know about him. He does like to talk sports, Limmie especially. We watched the Sandskimmers put away another team. Noah asked if I wished I had been sent to Tatooine.

I know I’d be winning down there. The atmosphere might be a whole lot more awesome. I’d finally get to live off this sith-for-saken planet, but you know what? I wouldn’t have met Noah if I had played on Tatooine this season. When I told him that he got even quieter. Finally Noah said he’s glad he met me. He told me he wouldn’t blame me if I went to play for another team.

At first I was shocked, so I asked him why. On this planet Noah said the Starkillers are everything. As an opponent and legitimate contending team in the ELL even after two consecutive titles Noah says our games don’t have the same feel as other games around the league. We’ve waited all season for these final two home games against our rivals in our own conference, the only two rival games on our calendar.

Noah says he stays here because he’s family, he feels obligated and he knows he’ll get to start. He said if I go to another franchise I’d have to prove myself, here on Ralltiir I’ll probably continue to start. The locals love a hometown hero. They draft a lot of Ralltiir U grads because the planet knows them, but I’m from here. My sister and I could be stars if we stick around. Is he trying to help? Or is he trying to drive me away? Do I want to be a revenue train for an already wealthy family? I’ve already seen school kids and even a few adults wearing my jersey. It’s weird.

I’m so confused about everything right now. I just want to play this game, see if we have something to play for next week. I’m trying to push aside all my thoughts about Noah, the Till’s, Vigo’s and especially my mom’s push for me to sign up for classes again. Yes mom I am going to take classes when the season ends. Have faith in me mom, the season isn’t over yet.

Tag @ no one

Trieste likes this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Denon

As critical moments went, this one came early. The first half was barely underway when the Demons scored their first goal to take a 6-0 lead, having already put three points on the board prior. There was still a lot of limmie to play, but Dash knew his squad well. Their body language didn’t have the same confidence or fearlessness that it had in all their previous outings. They could feel that things weren’t quite clicking the same way. Even though it went against conventional wisdom to burn a timeout this early in the game, Dash called one anyways.

“All right, they’re riding high because we’re the great Bakura Miners. They want to knock us off,” Dash said. The Legion, Denon’s fanbase, was pretty loud all around them, likely trying to get even further in the Miners’ heads. Dash had to admit their nickname for themselves was pretty clever. It derived from a famous quote: “Our name is Legion, for we are many.”

“But you know what this means?” Dash told his team. “It means that you’re the big vornskrs of the league. They fear you. Remember who you are. Now, deep breath everyone. All right, let go. Let’s reset. Play like it’s 0-0, start of the game. Here we go.” Dash clapped his team back onto the field to keep their spirits up.

Dash remained standing at the sideline as the game got back underway. Roy came up to his side. “Good speech,” Cardan observed.

Denon immediately put a point over the bar.

“You were saying?” Dash asked with a cocked eyebrow.

“Just gimme the flask,” Roy said, putting his hand out casually.

Dash had been preparing for this moment ever since Gaeriel Valerii had walked into the Snuggly Duckling. He’d been working on it during training camp. He ran through it in his head during practices. He thought about it on the sidelines. And now, the time had finally come for him to deploy his most carefully crafted maneuver on the pitch.

He moved forward and extended his hand with a smile. “Mevers, fantastically played game,” Dash said, shaking hands with his opposite number at midfield, the game over. “Beautifully designed gameplan today. Gave us everything we could take and more. Best of luck to you with the rest of the season.”

Dashric Stonlon had expected to walk away from a lot of games this season as the loser. He’d promised himself that no matter how bad it got, he’d never leave the field without congratulating his opponent. He knew that the job was going to be a tough one and he had no one but himself to blame for getting into this mess--or at least that’s what he’d thought during training camp. It didn’t mean he wasn’t going to break his commitment just because he’d had a shot at ELL history go away.

“Coach Stonlon, you’ve had your first loss, a tough one, to the Demons today,” a reporter asked after corralling him. “What are your emotions right now?”

“Och, I was expecting our quest for a perfect season to end a lot sooner than this,” Dash said. “Denon outplayed us today, fair and square. They played a strong air game and we just couldn’t compete with them on that basis.”

“You have Carratos, leading the Skywalker Conference, on Bakura next week. A win and you clinch the Commissioner’s Trophy. How are you going to prepare for that game?”

“Same way we prepare for every game. We’ll watch a lot of vid on them and look to see what we can do within the context of the game we play,” Dash said. “I expect they’re going to be tough. They’ve played through tremendous adversity this season, just like we have. I think it’s fantastic that we’ve got these two teams this late in the season with real meaning behind the outcome. We look forward to hosting the Pirates.”

“Coach, thoughts on no longer playing for a perfect season?”

“That was never the goal of this team. I mean, we never even thought we’d have that shot. We’re going to move on and focus on next week.”

“Thanks for your time, Coach.”

Dash and Roy walked off the field together as they did every week.

“Well, we knew this day was coming,” Roy said.

“That we did,” Dash agreed. “But now we have the real test.”

“Carratos?”

“No, but they won’t be easy,” Dash said. “The real test of this team is that now that they’ve lost, can they find their form again?”

“That, Dash-o, is the 64 billion credit question…”

TAG: galactic-vagabond422

Vehn and Runjedirun like this.
  25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Tendra Nalo
    Time: Middle of the night

Tendra rolled over in bed, unable to sleep in the heat. On the two-day trip out to Jakku, Leota had been gradually turning the master thermostat up in an attempt to acclimate the team to the heat they would experience when they landed. Tendra figured that it couldn't be much worse than Euceron summers, so she could handle it, but couldn't they at least get some air conditioning when they were trying to sleep and save the heat for when everyone was awake? After all, temperatures always went down when the sun (or suns) went down, no matter what planet you were on.

As if on cue, the air conditioning, identifiable by its quiet and gentle rumble, kicked in, and cold air came down from the vent in the ceiling. Tendra took a deep breath, trying to purge the hot air from her lungs, but it didn't last. Just thirty seconds later, the air conditioning shut itself off again.

Tendra settled for considering the upcoming game against the Junkers. It wasn't a must-win, but it would be a great help to win it. If they lost, they could still beat Stewjon in the final week and beat them on head-to-head in the standings, having tied 7-4 overall and 3-2 in conference. But the hydrospanner in that scenario was the Mercs, who could also go 7-4 and 3-2 if they won their last two games. If that happened, that would then create a circular head-to-head, with Hapes beating Stewjon, Stewjon beating the Mercs, and the Mercs beating Hapes. They would then go to point differential, where Mando'ade was virtually guaranteed to clinch the #2 seed in that scenario, with the last playoff spot up for grabs between Hapes and Stewjon, who were separated by just one point currently. Now if Hapes won on Jakku, but Stewjon beat them in Week 11, then Stewjon would have a 4-1 conference record and claim the home game, while if the Mercs inserted themselves into the 7-4 tie, their 3-2 conference record would trump the Bucs' 2-3, and Hapes would be making an early exit from the season.

The simpler scenarios were if both Hapes and Stewjon had the same result this week. A pair of wins, and the Week 11 tilt would be for all the marbles: win, and get a home game (and possibly a bye if Carratos were to stumble in the final two weeks), lose, and get a rematch on the road if the Mercs have a loss in the last two weeks, or watch the playoffs from the couch if the Mercs finish strong. in. A pair of losses, and things would become more dire: lose in Week 11, and you'd almost surely be done for the year. The only guarantee was that one Hapes win and one Mercs loss over the next two weeks, or two Hapes wins, would clinch a playoff spot for the Bucs.

Tendra wanted to get a win in the books this week, even though it would give Stewjon more to play for and to motivate them next week. No serious professional athlete ever wanted to lose, of course, no matter how motivated it might make your future opponents. She also wanted to show she deserved a fat contract after this year, being that she was in the last year of her rookie contract. There wasn't any risk of losing her job, not with Gallinore having the LFL's worst offense, but money was always good. At least they had a strong defense on the farm team, strong enough that they were leading their conference with one week left in the regular season.

Finally, she rolled back over and fell asleep. She had a game in two days, and would need all the rest she could get.

TAG: galactic-vagabond422 Bardan_Jusik (for Skywalker Conference playoff scenario discussion) Runjedirun (for LFL team mention and bonus roll)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.