main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Rowdy Roosey
    Rydonni Prime

The game was an easy one. Rowdy’s five minutes on the field were once again in garbage time, but instead of being on the losing end of things like her last appearance, this time her squad was the one administering the beatdown. The hometown Monarchs were getting whipped by a reinvigorated Senators team that was coming out with fury after a poor showing against Bakura the prior week. They wanted to show that they were a good team, and just had a bad week. This game certainly showed that they had talent.

Rowdy had seen this kind of game before. Jayla Leed put in her third goal-less performance of the season, matching her total from the prior year. She was truly a franchise goalie, something the Senators had been needing for quite a long time. The defense in front of her put in an amazing performance, the duo of Gamble and Keisel showing off their skills and Klay Mettews being a dominant force in the middle of the field. It was a true team performance. On the other side of the ball, Leia Adama punched in two goals and had three assists, two to Natasha Ehlers for goals and one to Laura Cellen for a bar point. Vail Pin notched six assists on the game, leading the team. Rookie midfielder Zeus Syndulla had another great game, showing why he was the top overall pick in the Draft.

After the game, Coach Lopaki had a few things to say to his team. “It’s not over yet,” he said to his players. “We still have two games left, and they are against good teams. The Mets will challenge us next week, and the Smugglers are always dangerous. We have to come out with grit and fight to win, or else we are going to find out the hard way how the tiebreaker system works. This team has come too far to back down now. You want into the playoffs? Win next week, and we are as good as in. Remember that.”

Practice that week was indeed hard. Everyone wanted to do their best in order to play well against Stewjon and their All-Star Game MVP Noah Trevor. He would pose a major challenge for the Senator defense, so they had to be ready for his skills. As for the offense, the directive was simple: keep doing what they were doing. It was straight and to the point. If they could score, they could win. That was the formula they had used all season.

And then there was the news of the interest by fight promoters in having Rowdy fight again. She was up for another fight, this time to reclaim the title she had to forfeit by playing Limmie instead of training for a fight. Once the season was over, she would re-dedicate her time off to fight and stay in shape, because that was what had gotten her here. She had made it to the Elite League, yes, but fighting was still in her blood. She would fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. And this promoted fight would be big for her career.

Right now, Limmie was her focus. She had to be sharp if she wanted a chance at meaningful playing time.

TAG: No One

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Mikia Sandin
    Kenobi Field, New Ayotte, Stewjon

I lace up my cleats the team is a little more upbeat after last week's win over the Junkers. It's not really noticeable to anyone outside of the team, or someone looking in but it's there. There's a few more smiles around the locker room, not full grins more like wire pulling up on one side of a beings mouth. The hard tips of my spikes dig into the floor of the locker room if anyone had told us at the start of the season that we'd be in the running for a playoff spot, much less leading the Skywalker, I don't think anyone would have believed you. I most certainly wouldn't have.

I look the two rookie forwards, the main reason we're still in this thing. Both of them shoo-ins for the Ingbrand Award but, the question is which one? Both of them have the same amount of goals, same amount of playing time, the only difference on flimsi is that Cutty has more assists, but, that isn't really any difference, Ariel has zero to Cutty's three. Will the judges decide on personality?

Well that could be a little different, Cutty is a little brash, and has a bit of a chip on her shoulder. She had to fight for everything she has, her scholarship to Dun Breatann, she earned that, her top rank in the draft, she worked for that, all of this had given her a very prickly demeanor, and an almost single minded drive towards winning, towards proving herself better than everyone, be that Limmie or Sabacc. It was like she always had to be competing against someone or something. It was like being the best at everything was a central part of her, that she needed to prove it to validate herself.

Ariel on the other hand grew up surrounded by wealth, and rarely lacked for anything. She got into University of Grianaig, a very prestigious school, due to the fact that her mother was an Alumnus. Her skill was part natural but, also trained from a young age by the best coaches. Surprisingly she never lost her love for the sport. If my father had put so much pressure on me when I first started, I think I would have given up. All of this is to say that Ariel while a little more approachable than Cutty, still has an air of superiority, that she was born better than you. I think it might be a common trait amongst the Taeping family.

We step onto the Kenobi Field and I look up to the stands, the 'White Spot' is there cheering us on. I take my place, looking across the field to the other team. If we win here we take the lead in the Skywalker and have a chance at getting a bye for the first week of the playoffs. Though I don't think that would be such a good thing for us. Every time we’ve been to the playoffs it's been with the first week off, and every time we got crushed. In the back of my mind I think we also have a chance at the Commissioner's Trophy…again. But that is a very remote chance, unless someone can stop the Juggernaut that is the Miners right now.

The game starts off with a lightning fast attack from Cutty rushing past everyone to put a scorcher behind Archdres. Not to be outdone Ariel charges Chai'tea knocking the ball out of her hand and launching a rocket off her boot that flies past the goalie again. The double strike seems to put the Mets on the back foot right away, forcing them to play hard on defense right away. It gives us backs time to get set and get our cover just right. We hold control for a little while before they come bursting out, rushing to get out of the early deficit.

We hold back the initial charge Kala leveling Soker and collecting the fumble. Tarnis and Tian find a way to turn the play back around and the Mets come storming back. I tighten up on Queeno trying to break up their play. Trevor seems to be commanding, them setting the tempo of the attack. Unfortunately he's in the domain of our captain, Ponie. From what I've heard of her she was a bit of a wild child, and a tough competitor not afraid to draw a few penalties, an oddity in the usually straight laced Miners, though she does come from Nar Shaddaa.

We stop their attack and push the play back to the midfield. Taking a moment to breathe, I look around to the other defenders. We seem more coordinated, more on top of things this time. If you look at the stats our defense has been rather lackluster, seems the only reason we're still in the playoff hunt is down to our offense that is still somehow second to the Mercs, I take a small moment to hiss thinking about them, I hate them, very much. I also hate the Smugglers, who are playing the Mercs. Before I can finish my thought the Mets come back Cutty being taken out on her charge towards the net.

We hold strong for a little bit, pushing them back but, the Mets are very persistent, coming back time after time. Eventually they get a goal on us then another but, in that time our forwards pull ahead. Coming into the closing minutes, we're ahead by two goals but, Trevor seems to have a plan, a plan to get the Mets back into this game. They come charging down and I get set for an all-out blitz. Trevor fakes a pass to the left and Queeno shoots off, I keep behind her as she receives the pass from the center. Before I can do anything the Rodian fires off a pass to Soker. The play is textbook as the corner forward launches the ball into the back of the net.

That last goal put some fire back in the team but, we ran them out of time. Sitting in the locker room I take a moment to breathe. We're ahead by a goal, again thanks to the efforts Ariel and Cutty, and once again they're dead even in goals scored. There's no conversations being had, everyone is taking this time to rest. We've had a good half still in the lead, and not allowing too many goals, though I don't think that will change our place in the standings. Not that it's going to matter much really the only thing that does is wins.

The win is nearly assured if the forwards keep up with what they are doing, and we can prevent the Mets from scoring. If we win here, we take the lead in the Skywalker, if nothing else, it will make us feel a little better. Though the weight of being on the road for this long is setting in, and we could use something to lift our spirits. Another sigh leaves me, word from home would do that but, the chances of that are slim to none. I feel some tears coming but, I fight them back, now is not the time.

The rest time is coming to an end and the room is still terribly quiet, I can hear each breath that we let out. It's almost rhythmic and calming, listening to everyone just ready themselves for what is coming next, the next half.

We walk onto the field single file, not to hide our numbers but, to show we stand together, the road warriors that are still in the playoff hunt. If that does sound like a holo-vid I don't know what does, add in a tragedy that precedes the season and we have the makings of an uplifting sports movie, ten twenty years down the line. That's if we can actually win a playoff game. That would be enough for me, just win one playoff game, and get to see my home again, home and Logan. I let out a sharp breath getting focused back on the game, I'm done grieving for right now, it's time to play.

The next half starts just the same as the first with a fast attack by our side that comes crashing down on the Mets defense. Archdres makes the stop but, the 'Iron Cage' snaps shut around them keeping them hemmed in for a long while. The home team fights hard and nearly breaks out but, the twins, making their first appearance after a while, push the play back into the offensive zone. L.E.S pass amongst themselves crossing paths and confusing the defense even more. Leigh comes crashing down from the wing faking a shot on goal before tossing the ball over to Cutty for another three points.

The Mets break free of the stranglehold our offense had on them and come seeing vengeance. We have a two goal lead again and we need to keep it, need to hold this momentum. It has always been a struggle especially when you only have a few fans to cheer you on. Their first attack crashes on top of us like a wave but, the breakers that make up the back line fend it off. The tide rolls out then comes again, with the crowd roaring behind them. This was probably one of the most important games played this season, a game to see who gets to be the top of the conference.
    They eventually break though our defense and cut our lead in half again but, I think they might have burned up too much in the attack. The long pass from Qazi falls to me and I swiftly boot it up the field from there it's another Ariel goal, keeping the dead heat between them, and finishing off both of their hat tricks. Again the 'Iron Cage' closes tight around the Mets, giving Leigh a chance to score, her first of the game. The home team rally one more time breaking free of their prison and storming across the field, desperate to get back into the game.

Queeno has possession, I rush forward shoulder lowered. I connect at the waist bending the Roadian almost in half as I take her to the ground. Bestide makes a turning kick to clear the ball out. That one hit took the wind right out of the attackers, they had nothing left. Leigh scores twice more tying the rookies in goals but, has assists on two of Cutty's goals. Leigh is gunning for another Salbukk Award. I guess winning by unanimous vote last year wasn't enough for her, she wants another one. We walk off the field after a decisive win but, I still feel no better, the smiles still haven't returned, only a grim determination, to face the Miners, the unbeatable team.

"Hey check this out," Ariel calls out as we're getting changed, preparing to head out to Bakura. "The Miners lost." Everyone's heads turned to the young forward. A slight smirk appeared on Leigh's face, apparently their not so unstoppable.

_____
    IC: Logan Manx
    O'Pahz, Carratos

It's getting hard to sleep, every night there's a fight. The more I hear the sounds of blaster fire the more I see the faces, the faces of those that died the day we took control of that tower. I still see it, the Twi'lek dragging herself along the ground, the Pantorian looking up at the sky one last time. I start away most mornings when I sleep at all. Zara is one of the few things that have helped keep me sane. That and people watching, I've spent far too much time hidden away only appearing to show the fighters that I was behind them. I feel like a sham, a puppet but, the King tells me it is helping, that it bolsters them, gets them to fight on.

I'm sending these being to their death and I know it. My heart pains me knowing my part in all this, the man waving the banner calling the masses to me. My protectors tell me I'm doing a great job, that we are pushing the 'White Star' back in places but, all I hear is the cacophony of combat. I lock these feelings away, I know I must be the face, I must believe in what we are doing, if I don't more will die. I won't ever compare this to a game but, believing you can do something is a vital part of success.

I let out another breath watching the crew of the Junker work. Crante is hunched over her terminal keeping up to date on the latest information, Bulgar is somewhere inside the old freighter working on something, poorly judging from the banging sounds. Howl and Den are looking over a map of the city. I see representations of the 'White Star' and their locations. I think they're planning an attack, or flirting. She seems to be the only person Howl actually smiles around. Den is always so straight laced, always focused on the task but, in these small moments, with Howl, it seems that hard shell slips off.

Her black eyes squint a little at her shorter companion. Crante either doesn't seem to notice or doesn't care about what is happening behind her. I might just be that she's so use to them acting differently around each other that it is nothing special to her. To me I find it fascinating and a welcomed distraction from my 'duties'. Zara pulls a chair up next to me,

"The fish and Stubby making eyes at each other again?" She asks in a quiet voice so as not to be over heard.

"It's nice to see them act normal every once in a while." I say quietly back, "Reminds me that they're not just a surly Bimm, and a cold aquatic droid." I hear the Zygerrian snort a little and push my shoulder.

"And here I thought I was harsh with my nicknames."

"What can I say," I lazily roll my head over to look at my furry conversation partner, "It's a gift." Her blue feline eyes meet mine and I quickly look away. I know being around her is dangerous, that I'm maybe growing too fond of having her around but, what can I do? She connects me to the past, a past where my home wasn't a war zone, when Goss-Pell stood proud, not in ruins. She's also just like me, a normal person that never asked to be thrown into a war and yet here we are. I run a hand though my long stringy black hair, unfortunately the constant moving around, and lack of supplies doesn't allow me a regular showering schedule.

I scratch at my beard, thicker than the one I grew last year purely due to the longer time I've had to grow it. I can now grip it in my fist, so far it isn't long enough to peek out of the bottom of my clenched hand. I'm half surprised anyone can still recognize me, Mikia would even have trouble if she only saw me from the waist up.

Another long breath leaves me, along with Zara, my memories of Mikia are also another thing that sustains me in these times. Just recalling her smile, her laugh, it brings a warmth to my heart. It drives me to continue the charade of being some inspiring leader, in the hopes of freeing my home and bringing her back.

"Hey," Zara says lightly tapping me on the shoulder, "I'm going to get a drink, you want something?"

"Yeah, water is fine." I reply, a little wearily, I really need a little more sleep, but, I can barely close my eyes without some horrible scene cropping up behind my eyelids. I continue to watch Den and Howl they've gotten a little more serious now, looking studiously over the map, pointing out places of interest or of most resistance.

The Pirate King walks in and acknowledges me with a nod before moving to the table with the Firrerreon and Nautolan. He is an enigma, always alone, his face never betraying his feelings, always like a stone mask. Though I have seen times when it cracked, like when speaking to Ariel's mom, or to the Baroness. Those conversations also raise another question, is this the same Pirate King from the legends, the one that ruled Carratos over two hundred years ago?

Mera Taeping made mention that he was the same liar and cheat he was back when her ancestor was alive, and the Baroness called him 'Old Man' could it be true? I mean if he was Sephi I could understand but, he looks as human as me, well a little rougher but, could it be possible, what if he was a shapeshifter or something like that. I'm getting ahead of myself, the simples expiation is that he's just taken up the mantel, he probably has a really embarrassing name like Wesley,

Because no one would surrender to the Pirate King Wesley.

This one thought causes me to burst into laughter that draws the attention of everyone. Try as I might I just can't stop. I need a release, yes the Dread Pirate Wesley, that's a terrifying name. I lean back in my chair letting out another laugh, I know I must look like a fool, like I'm cracking up.

But, they'd be right, I've been running and hiding for over two months now, I was never prepared for this, or and I think my mind might actually be breaking, but, I don't care.

If this is what going mad feels like, I'm going to embrace it, I could use the fun.

"Dread Pirate Wesley." I say under my breath, between laughing fits.

TAG: No One

Vehn, Runjedirun, Jedi Gunny and 2 others like this.
  3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Conference title games were held yesterday throughout the world of college Limmie and the Big 20 didn't disappoint. It was a back and forth game and tied at 20 overall at the end of regulation. Hey free limmie! But the University of Zeltros finally gets it done beating out Eriadu Tech 26-23 in OT. Zeltros now goes on to face Dac State in the Party Bowl, should be a good match up there."

"The Super 16 wasn't nearly as close as the #1 in the galaxy GVSU Pilots got hammered by the Mean Green of Coruscant Polytechinic Insitute 20-12. That puts an end to great season from Grand Vulptur State and sends the Mean Green to the Carnation Bowl where they'll face the Golden Bears of UB Salis D'aar."

"Other bowl games have already been selected, with previous number one The... "Thank you." "...Ord Sabaok University now slated to go to the Papa Palpatine Bowl where they'll face the hard charging University of Denon. StarBucks head coach not worried that his kids will suffer a let down after being knocked out of the top spot last week."

"We've been number one for most of the season, thought we had a shot at the playoff, but who knows? If we beat UD maybe the selection committee will give us another look."

"Well you never know, the committee picking after the bowl games now may give them that shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath there coach."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: All/No one.

OOC: I'm going to be separating "Bowl Week" from the College playoffs, rather than follow what NCAA football does where things have been incorporated into one system. Instead the Bowl Games for college limmie will be seen as that last stepping stone to a true playoff system, the last chance to really impress the selection committee.

The bowl game slate for this year is:

• The Carnation Bowl (BAK-10 Champion vs. S-16 Champion): UB Salis D'aar vs. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute
    • The Party Bowl (Big 20 Champion vs. RAAC-14 Champion): University of Zeltros vs. Dac State University
    • The Sweetner Bowl (SEC Champion vs. O-10 Champion): Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore) vs. Vertical City University (Nar Shaddaa)
    • The Nylonite Bowl (CAA Champion vs. Rim-10 Champion): University of Csilla vs. Royal College of Hapes
    • The Jogan Bowl (Varagi League Champion vs. KAAC Champion): Ralltiir University vs. Wookiee Forrest Institute
    • The Republic Bowl (At Large vs. At Large): Druckenwell Technical University vs. Mos Eisly University, Tatooine
    • The Papa Palpatine Bowl (At Large vs. At Large): University of Denon vs. The Ord Sabaok University
    • Incom Bowl (At Large vs. At Large): University of Kashyyyk vs. Tavolva University

I figure that's not all the Bowl games, but just the ones with potential implications for inclusion in the College Playoff System. Those of course also include the "Big Five" (Carnation Bowl, Party Bowl, Sweetner Bowl, Nylonite Bowl and Jogan Bowl) which essentially serve as play in games.

4. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Ticket exchange source for Miner fans to sell tickets to Pirates fans has reportedly “zero activity” as season ticket holders keep their tickets
    • Scalpers reportedly selling tickets for potential Commisioner’s Trophy match at three and four times face value
    • Miners Assistant GM Saoirse Sloan: “Shame on scalpers on making profit off of this. We went the extra mile to set up a space for Pirates fans to be able to see their team at least once this season and they’re circumventing this to make some credits.”
    • Miners will continue their promised revenue sharing deal for their Week 10 match
    • General strike on Bakura still continues with some analysts claiming that the success of the Miners’ strike roster has been “a significant factor in the government not giving in to union demands”
    • One commentator said: “Had the Miners been terrible, this strike likely would have ended long ago as public pressure to get the regular roster back on the field would have been incredibly big”
    • Top college prospects begin declaring for the 284 ELL Draft
    • Sources say Bakura has bid to host the Draft due to the fact they currently hold six draft picks
    • League still receiving bids as they are reportedly hesitant to commit to the Draft while labor unrest continues on Bakura
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

5. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Hapes, Mando'ade, and Ralltiir.

283 Week 10 Scores

Coruscant Senators at Stewjon Metropolitans (18-5)
    Mando'ade Mercs at Chandrila Patriots (37-3)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Ralltiir Starkillers (16-21)
    Carratos Pirates at Bakura Miners (12-10)
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Jakku Junkers (10-24)
    Denon Demons at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (20-16)

HSN Headlines
    • Coruscant Senators and Denon Demons clinch playoff berths in Solo Conference playoffs; Coruscant win or Denon loss will clinch Semifinal home game for Senators
    • Ralltiir Starkillers eliminated from playoffs based on head-to-head loss to Denon in Week 3
    • Carratos Pirates clinch regular season Skywalker Conference title and home game in Skywalker Conference Final
    • Remainder of Skywalker Conference playoff picture too close to call--except for elimination of Chandrila
    • HSN analyst: "Chandrila's season has been a speeder crash piled onto a monorail wreck on top of a spaceship flying straight into the ground"
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

Jedi Gunny and Vehn like this.
  6. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus potential for: Tatooine (28) Concordia (28) Thyferra (28) Atzerri (28) Firedrakes (30)

LFL Results Week 10
    Thyferra Force at Byblos Red Wings (14-0)
    Druckenwell Marksmen at Atzerri Bandits (19-16)
    Kamino Waves at Gallinore Firedrakes (0-27)
    Concordia Crusaders at Tatooine Sandskimmers (3-6)

Futures Cup Playoffs

Round One
    Strensky Confrence
    (4) Kamino Waves @ (3) Atzerri Bandits
    Grames Conference
    (4)Byblos Red Wings @ (3) Concordia Crusaders

Round Two
    Strensky Confrence
    ? @ (2) Druckenwell Marksmen
    Grames Conference
    ? @ (2) Thyferra Force

Semifinals
    Strensky Confrence
    ?@ (1) Gallinore Firedrakes
    Grames Conference
    ? @ (1) Tatooine Sandskimmers

Tags: Jedi Gunny Vehn galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Bardan_Jusik

Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Wylla Sniider

Saturday Night

Dear Data Pad:

After an exhausting week. One in which we all tried not to concentrate on cleaning out our lockers. A week filled with speeches from both of our coaches not to give this game away just because it “doesn’t matter”. We all went to dinner at the stadium one last time as the 283 Ralltiir Starkillers.

There’s been a tense mood amongst us teammates all week. Alyada has made no secret of her upcoming retirement announcement. Yolanda has made it clear she’s going to shop around with other teams before resigning with the Starkillers. Vigo is on edge about his contract too. He wants more credits. The credits he deserves for his contribution to our team. No matter what they think of his character or actions off field. That could get tense. Imagine being an insect on the wall in his mother’s office this off-season.

I told Noah I didn’t even want to go to dinner this evening and he laughed in relief. “Me either,” he said. He said his uncle would kill him if he didn’t show up so we got in his speeder together since he had spent the afternoon at my house and headed to the stadium for a “last supper” of sorts.

I had forgotten Ty Allin was going to be there. He wasn’t down about the ELL season being over. He had coached his Secondary Kids to a City Championship. Tomas is back on his feet too. Flew his own speeder to the park tonight. Won two events at his swim meet early this morning. Everyone in the management camp was all smiles about honoring Ty tomorrow.

At first it kinda made me sick. I wasn’t even hungry for all the food spread out in front of us. Ty sat at a table with all of us defenders and made a huge plate. “So what’s your game plan for the match against the dwarfs tomorrow?” He asked cheerfully.

Noah gave Ty this look. A look that said I’m not in the mood tonight. “They’re Bimm’s,” he said coldly.

“The midgets,” Ty said confidently. “You aren’t going to lose on my big day are you?”

“We’ll do our best,” Noah said as he pushed the food around on his plate.

Ty grabbed the fork right out of Noah’s hand. “Whatever you do,” Ty said starting to sound like he wasn’t joking so much anymore. “Don’t let those little people score on you!”

Noah’s been in a sour mood all week and he was not the person to mess with tonight. Noah picked up a handful of pasta covered in sauce and tossed it at Ty. Ty put up his hand and caught most of the mess. It was like nothing I’d ever seen. After that we ate in silence for a while. Noah was fuming, but he was quiet.

Dinner didn’t end without a scene though. Ty’s children began to argue loudly. The two boys both had their hands on a large bowl of red vegetable sauce that’s usually used on pasta. I guess one boy wanted it and the other boy decided he did too. Ty stood up and called for T.J., the older boy, to let go of the bowl. T.J. did exactly what he was told and the little one, Ezra ended up with a lap full of red sauce.

The little guy immediately burst into tears. It was kinda loud there were some conversations going on amongst people in the restaurant that stages our dinners in the stadium. Lucie stood up and comforted her younger son. “You want to go down to the locker room and shower with me?” She asked.

Ty called out something. Even at his own table I didn’t know what he said. He garbled the words. “What?” Lucie asked. By this time she was at the exit of the restaurant and was holding this kid out at arm’s length who was covered in pasta sauce. Again Ty said something none of us could understand. “What?” Lucie said sounding frustrated.

“I want to take a shower with you.” Ty hollered clearly. Poor Lucie rolled her eyes and disappeared out the door. Immediately after she left the place was silent. Finally Kaat let out a loud rolling laugh and we all joined her.

Noah came back to my place. He’s in the process of moving his stuff here, but he’s planning on keeping the condo as a rental. We were going to wait until the end of the season, but he’s been staying here all week. There’s really no point. I know the fans want us to “stick one to the Miners” tomorrow. I’m sure we’ll go out there and fight in the beginning, but if they put up a few points on us I just don’t know what we’re going to have left.

This certainly wasn’t what I was hoping for my Rookie season. My dad is here to remind me I’m young and I have LOTS of seasons to play. I’ll be sure to try and remember that as I walk off the field tomorrow. Last games are always so bittersweet.

Tag: Trieste

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Aphran Lumberjacks offer the use of their stadium, Sequoia Field, nicknamed the Lumberyard, as the site of the Skywalker Conference Final, if the blockade of Carratos is still in place. All profits will go to the Pirates and stations will be setup to accept donations going towards helping refugees from Carratos.
    • In a statement management of the Lumberjacks said,"We stand with our bothers and sisters in the Corridor during their hour of need. We, the Lumberjacks, feel that it's only right that the Pirates play as close to their home as possible."
    • Team Captain of the Lumberjacks, Pallu Bun'yan, had this to say, "I would be an honor to see the Pirates play in the Lumberyard again, I only wish I was playing against them. AAAARRRRRRR."
    • Pirates GM Schnitt Polenta at a recent press conference said "I appreciate the support of our friends in the corridor and will keep their offer in mind, though I hope this situation resolves itself before it becomes necessary for me to call upon them."
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Vehn

9. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny and warm, it's a victory afternooooooooon! Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a show for you. We have a lot..."

"No kidding."

"To talk about so lets just get right to it."

"Which it? There's like..."

"OK, first off, let's start things out on high note here, no need to get all negative at the open of the show..."

"'K..."

"The Mercs put up a huge win, like yuuuuuuge, yesterday putting up 37 points ion a game in which Katan, good old long in the tooth Katan allowed just a single goal which accounted for all the Pats points in the game."

"It was, it really was a fantastic game plays all the way around. The defense played great despite..."

"We'll get to that in a minute."

"...Rice's...Oh OK. Well the defense played great, like great. Mauntak was a beats back at corner and Katan played the game of his life between the pipes showing that he may not be ready to retire just yet."

"Maybe he just wants to go out with a bang."

"He has another year on that contract guys, I can't see him not playing it out."

"OK, OK, that's fair."

"Sure, sure."

"Let's not forget the offense, led of course by MVP candidate Fu Arock..."

"You just got Arocked!"

"...and Jaing who combined for 23 of the Mercs 37 points."

"Langdon had a good game too, and I think is kind of the unsung hero of the offense."

"Really?"

"Well, look over the past few years the Mercs have been a really good offense, but she has been hurt for a lot of that."

"Yeah..."

"Well this year's team is the best offensive squad I've seen in years, and I think it starts with her being healthy."

"It was yet another 30 point performance by the Mercs, the sixth they've had this season..."

"And how many wins do they have?"

"Six, yeah I know we've done it to death but the team is winless in games that they don't reach that 30 point mark."

"Yet they still have those six wins, that's just crazy."

"I'm telling you, this offense is one for the ages, and I think it's the reason that the Mercs have stuck with coach Kor'le despite our recent struggles to reach the playoffs. She really know how to exploit a defense."

"They have 281 points scored this season. That's 19 away from a 300 point season..."

"Has that ever happened before?"

"Not in the modern era."

"Most point scored by a team in a single season since 262, which is all I've had time to research real quick, was the 279 Miners who scored 275 points that season."

"And with 281 points scored this season so far, the Mercs have already beaten that mark with a game to go..."

"Wow, 300 points in reach. I can hardly believe it."

"Well they might need to get to 300 if they are going to make the playoffs, which is the end goal right?"

"Well a Galactic Cup Championship is the end goal."

"Yeah, but they have to qualify for the playoffs first, and that is going to be hard because their last game is at Jakku, who despite their poor record are playing much better of late."

"Always with the negative waves..."

"Just saying that just to get to the playoffs is still going to be tough, and..."

"Hey, I know, I know. And I'll be happy to make the playoffs even if it's a 1-0 win in OT and we get no closer to 300 than that. In fact I'd rather win a low scoring game than lose a high scoring game that gets us over 300 but keeps us out of the playoffs."

"We are so jinxing this."

"Mandalorians don't believe in jinxes, just hard work and preparing for success."

"Yeah, well I do. It's like you never mention a potential shut out on air or to your 'keeper when they have one working. It's just bad luck."

"Well luck has nothing to do with it!"

"Sure, sure."

"Have to admit, the fans seemed just as fired up about it as we are. Look, the comm lines are already jammed!"

"Well, they may want to talk about that...other thing."

"Oh yeah. That."

"Guess, it's time."

"Yeah, OK so as Justin started to mention before, we've still got this Rae Rice situation which has now blown out of control and..."

"Well at least it's done now."

"For now, she's still under contract, the Mercs haven't released her."

"Well, she won't be playing for awhile, that's for sure. For those that don't know yet, the season long debate about whether to keep Rae Rice active and playing was decided yesterday when the Chandrillan authorities forced everyone's hand by arresting Ms. Rice just an hour before the game started."

"Think they were trying to get an advantage for the Pats there?"

"I don't know, I doubt it. I know there is no way the Pats organization would have been in on that anyway. They're a fine upstanding organization that would never stoop to such low levels to gain a competitive edge."

"Sure, sure. Go on."

"OK, so anyway, she was arrested just outside the visitor's locker room and brought in on charges of domestic abuse for her attack on her then fiance at a hotel back on Chadrilla just before the season began."

"Looks to me like the police there were keeping things quiet and were waiting for her to go back home before making their move."

"Makes sense, best way to ensure the Mandalorian government didn't refuse extradition."

"You think they would have?"

"It's been done before..."

"Yeah, but in a case like this?"

"I dunno, I really don't. But it's a moot point now. Naturally she didn't get to suit up for the Mercs though from what I understand she's out on bail so maybe..."

"I know what you're thinking and it's not going to happen. The Mercs just announced that she's been suspended for the rest of the season and playoffs..."

"Doesn't matter, terms of her bail say she's not allowed to leave Chandrilla until the case is settled."

"...and that they have suspended backup Full Forward Jonathan Lieznam for the same time period."

"Johnnie Clipboard? Why? That doesn't..."

"This may clarify things there guys. Officials on Taanab just announced that the Grand Jury proceedings in his domestic violence case have come to a close and the Mercs backup full forward has been indicted on charges there for an incident with his girlfriend."

"Oh boy...."

"Mandalorian officials have come forward saying that they have responded to the extradition from request from the Taanab Planetary Police but Lieznam couldn't be found at his Keldabe apartment. He may no longer be on world..."

"Have they looked on Chadrilla?"

TAG: No One.

10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Bak10 Commissioner Kerry Trieste on new playoff format: “It has merits. The ability for both parties in the Carnation Bowl to still qualify and meet in the Galactic Final is positive. I would hope that both the Super 16 and the Bak10 will be rewarded given that we’re scheduling ourselves against power conferences”
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik Jedi Gunny

jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  11. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Dash Stonlon
    Home locker room, Bakura Gardens, Salis’ Daar, Bakura
    Gameday

Dash put his arms on his hips and surveyed his handiwork.

“Think it’s straight?” he asked Roy.

“Only you would care about that,” Roy replied, “but yeah, I think it is.”

“Good,” Dash said.

“You know, some beings aren’t going to be happy to hear about this.”

“I’m sure they won’t be, but this is about the right thing.”

“Think they’d do it for us?”

“Probably not,” Cardan said.

“Eh, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do it,” Dash said. “Come on, they’ll be arriving soon.” The two coaches walked out of the Miners’ locker room to get prepared for the day’s game.

Except today it wasn’t the Miners’ locker room. The Miners would be located across the stadium at Dash Stonlon’s insistence. Today, the Miners would occupy the visitors locker room. In their usual digs every Miners logo was covered with banners bearing the Carratos Pirates’ logo. The room was dominated by one large banner that read “CARRATOS PIRATES 283: NO FEAR OF EVIL CURSES,” finished off with a skull and crossbones. They couldn’t play at Goss-Pell, but they could make the Gardens feel a little bit like pirate waters.

“Gentlebeings, welcome the field your. Carratos. PIRATES. ARRRRRRRR!!!!

Dash watched as the opposing team took the field to that enthusiastic announcement from the public address announcer--vastly more rousing than the usual introduction of the visiting team. In fact, usually the visitors would be closely followed by the Miners, but today Dash had instructed that the Pirates be given the second introduction in keeping with the home game that they should be playing right now.

For their part, Dash had mandated the wearing of a black armband bearing a skull and crossbones as a show of support for the Pirates. Players, coaches, and all on field personnel had the armband on today.

The stands were solidly blue and gold and behind the Miners, but that didn’t mean they weren’t above a polite--if not overly enthusiastic reception for the visitors. The news that had gone around before the game about the Miners’ ticket exchange producing next to no tickets for the Carratosian fans had gotten a lot of play. On the Holonet a lot had been made about the situation, including one popular comedian who had said, “Let’s be clear: we cannot fault the Bakura Miners for attempting to do something nice for the Pirates. After all, they are sharing profits from this game with the Pirates. Now, we can fault them for Quinn Cundertol, who should be thrown into a Sarlacc and digested for several decades in the most painful manner possible. That’s a fact. That’s just a fact. I think if you look it up in a dictionary, you’ll find that’s a fact.

“Also, we shouldn’t blame the Miner fans. Despite all expectations, they’ve actually played a fantastic season of limmie that no one expected, even if Miner fans in general are an entitled and arrogant collective despite the fact that they can’t win in the playoffs without Alana Glencross. Look it up.

“The beings we should really blame for all of this are the scalpers who have jacked up ticket prices to such a degree that, even if a Carratos Pirates fan could afford one, they probably couldn’t afford to get all the way out to Bakura since it sits on the literal edge of the known galaxy and they would have had to have sold their first born child to afford a ticket. Once again, hashtag DeredithArdenwasbadatmaps. So you know what scalpers? Frak you for trying to make a quick credit on these fans when their team is set up for a matchup that literally--and I do mean literally--no one thought was possible. Seriously, go to Korriban and never come back.”

Even given the difficulties that had stood in their way, Dash could find what looked like a fairly cohesive White Spot in the stands. It looked like the Pirates fans had found a way.

“Good for you,” Dash said, even though he knew his words wouldn’t carry that far. “Good for you.”

BOOM!

It wasn’t the sound of yet another thundering hit on the pitch--no, it was an actual blast, as if someone had shot off a cannon inside the Gardens. In keeping with their attempt to make the Pirates feel at home, that noise had been heard after the previous two Pirate goals and now the third one, bringing the game to 10-9--a score that did not make Dash feel as good as 10-6 had.

After what had been a pretty unqualified disaster on Denon, the Miners had pulled themselves back together to be the team that had won eight straight games to start the season. It was everything that Dash had wanted to see them do today. This was the response he wanted from this team--the sign that they were made of sterner stuff. They’d returned to their strong defensive ways after being blown out and they were doing it against a potent Carratos offense. The Pirates defense had responded in kind. Ternardiel, the former Miner and now one of the leaders of the Carratos side, was leading the stand. She was as ferocious as a nexu out there. Though the Miners had faced some intimidating players throughout the season, Ponie was calling on all her Vertical City background today.

The Pirates’ first two goals had come from their two rookie sensations, Ariel Taeping and Cutty Evers-sark. The one that had just been scored was thanks to the Pantoran, Tian Huo. The fact that the offense hadn’t shredded Bakura was a testament to the work that the Miners were doing in their own end...but it had the feeling of a dam bulging behind a gathering flood.

All this to say: leading by just one point was playing on the edge of a vibroknife.

“One more score,” Dash called, clapping, “Let’s get one more score.”

BOOM!

Dash wanted to bend over and put his hands on his knees. In the final minute of the game, the Pirates had stormed back to score their fourth goal of the game. Though the Miners were fighting their way back up field, the Pirates were bogging them down too much. They simply weren’t moving quick enough to get in goal scoring range. Two points was a deficit too large to overcome.

Like the week before, Dash kept himself from showing any disappointment. He’d said he would take his losses with a smile and just because they’d lost their chance to control their destiny for the Commissioner’s Trophy didn’t mean that he was going to break that commitment. It didn’t matter that once again he’d lost precisely the sort of game that he always had--the big one where great teams differentiated themselves from good teams. No, that wasn’t the deal. Unlike Darth Vader, he didn’t alter his bargains.

“What a game Ryeli,” Dash told the Pirates’ head coach. “Down-to-the-wire. You’ve turned in a heck of a season. Heck of a season. Be proud of what you’ve done. Best of luck in the playoffs and hope things turn around on Carratos soon. We’re with you all the way.”

Dash had barely left the handshake before he was corralled by a reporter from the BBC. “Coach, second straight loss. This time, missed an opportunity to wrap up the Commissioner’s Trophy. Thoughts?”

“Carratos is tops in the Skywalker Conference for a reason. This was a game of millimeters. If we played this game again, it’s anyone’s guess who would win. I think that we could beat any other team in the League with a game like this, nine times out of ten. I’ve got no regrets today,” Dash said.

“Do you think that the Pirates were buoyed by the home field trappings that they had today?”

“If they were, it’s my own fault because I was the one who pushed for them. Some things are bigger than the game, you know? These are the games that define you--not just as a team, but as a being. Did treating the Pirates the way we’d want to be treated cost us the game? Maybe. Doesn’t mean I’d do a thing differently,” Dash said. “We got a great game of limmie out of it and at the end of the day we can all hold our heads up.”

“How important is it to you to stop this losing streak going into Ralltiir next week?”

“Ending the season on a high note would be great, but I think that Trey Till and Loren Jul have some ideas about that. This is a team that’s won two straight Galactic Cups. There’s a lot of Starkiller pride that’s going to fill the stands next week. I expect a rock ‘em, sock ‘em game,” Dash said.

“Thanks Coach Stonlon.”

“Any time.”

Dash walked off the field, hands in his coat pockets. Though the Miners had played a strong game of limmie and he stood by every word he said, he couldn’t stop the thoughts that were running into his head. That this was just like every other season. That this was a sign of things to come in even bigger games on the horizon.

That the wait was over: the hammer had fallen.

TAG: galactic-vagabond422 Runjedirun

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines
    • HSN investigative reporting blasts “a culture of ambivalence” in Elite League Limmie league offices over current player conduct issues
    • Report says that Commissioner Lokensgaard has been “willfully ignorant at best and tacitly condoning at worst” the situation on Mandalore regarding Rae Rice
    • Excerpts:
      • “The League has allowed this situation to drag on for weeks with barely any comment”
      • “Internal controls are severely lacking at an institutional level in League offices”
      • “Even if the League has been communicating with the Mercs throughout the situation, the lack of any public communications or action is inexcusable”
    • ELL has declined comment on the report
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines
    • Mykal Oha (Full Back, University of Dantooine) mulling entering 284 ELL Draft
    • Oha is currently on HSN Scouting watchlist for defenders
    TAG: Jedi Gunny

jcgoble3 and Jedi Gunny like this.
  14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Hapes Consortium Buccaneers announce that they are splitting with the Gallinore Firedrakes and ending their development relationship, effective after the Finals
    • General Manager Leota Avoy: "While the Firedrakes have been useful to us occasionally and were the catalyst for the gender integration of the Bucs, the fact is that we are spending too much money on them and not getting enough use. The use of a development squad also was Ms. Inviere's idea, to my understanding, and I feel that it fit her style of management much more than it fits mine."
    • Avoy, responding to a reporter comparing her to Quinn Cundertol over their apparent mutual dislike for development teams: "Don't even go there. Next question."
    • Avoy confirmed that legal paperwork is in the process of being completed to split the Firedrakes off into their own independent entity
    • Hapan royal court confirms that the Queen Mother has approved this action, but declines further comment
    • All players currently assigned to Firedrakes will have their contracts restructured to remove Bucs affiliation; those players will stay with Gallinore as it becomes an independent team
    • As the Firedrakes will no longer be a development squad for an ELL team, they will lose their place in the Limmie Futures League after the current season
    • Gallinore GM Sarta Narrgon: Once all paperwork is completed and the Firedrakes are fully independent, they will apply for membership in the Premier League for the 284 season
    TAG: jcgoble3

15. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Bowl week is upon us and with the attention of the galaxy upon them fans and students are travelling along with their favorite student athletes to far flung places hoping to get a shot at eternal glory."

"CorTech trounced the Golden Bears of UBSD 21-16 punching their ticket to the college quarter finals but that game wasn't really decided until a series of turnovers deep in the Bear's offensive zone ended any hope of a comeback bid from the BaK-10 champs."

"Elsewhere, Zeltros continued their winning ways in the Party Bowl, taking out Dac State 13-10 when a last second, potential game tying shot from the Swimmers clanged off the bar and onto the turf. Zeltros getting a playoff bid now."

"The Sweetner Bowl pitted two major rivals against one another in the KMI Warriors and the boys and gals from VCU. Vertical City managed to rally late and tie this one up at 17, but the Warriors rebounded in OT for a 23-21 win. Keldabe Military Institute moving on. "

"The University of Csilla destroyed the Royal College of Hapes 22-8 in a laugher of a Nylonite Bowl. Critics have condemned Csilla's cupcake schedule all season, but they looked like the real deal in this one, they've got a playoff bid."

"The Jogan Bowl between Ralltiir University and Wookiee Forrest Institute was delayed 40 minutes due to lightning, but the champs of the Kashyyyk Associated Athletic Conference didn't let that slow them down. WFI takes this one 21-11. "

"Mos Eisly, Tatooine might have earned themselves a playoff bid with a 15-12 win over Druckenwell Tech in the Republic Bowl and oh how the mighty have fallen. Despite a valiant comeback try, the StarBucks of The Ord Sabaok University couldn't overcome an 8-1 halftime deficit, they fall to the University of Denon 11-8 in the Papa Palpatine Bowl."

"Last but not least here...well maybe least, the University of Kashyyyk took care of business against Tavolva State to the tune of 20-14 in the Incom Bowl."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: All/No one.

16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Kala Fani Alaree
    Stewjon

There was something to be said for never giving up until the very end. That was how the Senators defense was playing right now down the stretch, finishing off consecutive opponents with goal-less performances on defense. Jayla Leed, the one-time misfit with the Senators who couldn’t find her stride, had now gone over 120 consecutive minutes without allowing a single goal to the opposition. It had been a miracle that she had come back to the second team she had ever played for, because right now the goaltending options in the Senator system were few and far between. Leed held all the chips now in her contract year.

Kala was satisfied with how her team was coming into games, but more excited than in prior weeks because they were finally playing to their potential. The defense, a dumpster-fire every other week and dominant the other weeks earlier in the season, was now getting into stride, and the offense was more consistent. The addition of Bergal Rotramel had helped the team immensely. The Mon Calamari wasn’t a prolific scorer, but he didn’t need to be when the team already had two front-line scorers in Leia Adama and Zuzu Nuun. Rotramel was a good distributor and rarely made poor decisions. He had been a real steal on the trade market the past offseason. And adding Zeus Syndulla with the top overall Draft pick had also been a major boon. The Twi’lek rookie had turned around what had before been a poor to middling midfield corps and had led the unit to a very respectable performance week in and week out. Even if the game didn’t go so well for the Senators, the midfield corps looked improved over the past seasons. Syndulla still had areas of his game to improve upon, but he looked like a bona-fide Ingbrand nominee.

Next up was Nar Shaddaa in the season finale. The Senators were in the playoffs in the Solo, but they still had unfinished business. The Smugglers were good, and they were at home. That would equal a starcruiser full of trouble. And Denon was right on their heels, only a game back. If the Senators lost and the Demons won, the Senators would have to go to Denon to get the right to take on the Miners at Bakura Gardens. No one wanted to have to go through Denon, because that meant that the team would be even more tested on the road than they already were.

There was much work left to be done.

TAG: Vehn

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  17. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Jaeda Lerouex
    Nar Shaddaa

The season was winding down and with it mean the busier portion of Jaeda's budding journalism career. Her blog had generated some solid hits over the season despite the Smugglers swimming in a pool of mediocrity. She wasn't sure what had gotten into the team this season. Maybe it was the younger defense or the crushing loss to Ralltiir in last year's Final. Either way, the product on the field had been met by fans with a giant: "Meh."

She'd kept in touch with Omar Mosk ever since his offer to take her to 'Prime Time'. She hadn't accepted. She wasn't sure if she wanted the big lights. The money. The fame. She'd seen how that had taken a toll on a few friends. Still his offer was tempting. Maybe it was something worth considering down the field.

Jaeda settled into her favorite seat at Six Boroughs to watch the match. Another classic tilt. A fitting end to a season. The Rim War. This was going to be good.

Omar Mosk settled in next to Jaeda and said, "Thought about my offer?"

"Yeah," Jaeda replied, "and I'm nervous but I'd be an idiot to turn this down."

"Welcome to 'Prime Time', lady," Omar said. "Your entire life is going to change."

"I'm sure it will."

OOC: Last post from me using this character this season. Good luck everyone who is going on to the playoffs.

Tag: Jedi Gunny

18. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Mikia Sandin-Manx
    Bakura Gardens, Salis D'aar, Bakura

This was a new experience, for everyone I think. When Schnitt told us that he had accepted the offer to use the home facilities on Bakura, the whole team was a little taken aback, and maybe a little angry. They didn't want special treatment, and this gesture did nothing to calm the tensions that had set in over the ticket scalping incident. I found myself looking up at the large banner, 'NO FEAR OF EVIL CURSES' it read in part. Was it a curse to use another team's locker room before a game? If I'm being honest I don't really know this is all too new to me.

I give a glance to our coach, Billi Ryeli, her face looks haggard after weeks of traveling. She started off saying the traveling wouldn't get to her. Her grandfather on her mother's side was a Falkirk, a Duros family of adventures and travelers of some sort but, looking at her now, I think she was just covering. There are moments, moments when she thinks no one is looking, that I see that façade break. She's often looking at a holo of her family, her wife and daughter. It reminds me that no matter how tough we try to look, we're all still vulnerable.

We take the field many of us almost staring at the first announcement, thankfully Poine didn't jump. I note the black armbands on the team and the staff, first time I've seen anything like that on this trip. I take my place and look across the field. The Miners had put in a good showing considering their circumstances, then again we had as well. Now they were fighting for the Commissioner's Trophy, and so were we. They win it is theirs, we stop them and win our next game, it's ours. I'd say this is probably the game no one thought would be this important.

Right at the start things get moving, Cutty and Ariel, showing their trademark speed rush down field unconcerned with where their teammates are, just looking to get to the net first. I get the feeling if those two could just get over themselves and work together they would be a dangerous pair. I mean they already were but, combine their abilities and they would make a much stronger whole. As it is their first attack is rebuffed but, that didn't mean they gave up. I'll give those forwards one thing, they don't give in easily. Soon they are rewarded, after keeping the pressure on for longer than I expected, the goal horn sounded.

BOOM

I flinch slightly, I never expected that. I was getting use to the understated standard goal sound accompanied by boos from the crowd. I notice a flurry of movement in the stands. It's a 'White Spot' somehow they got here, I feel a little smile pull at the corner of my mouth. I don't have time to bask as the Miners come rolling back, slamming into us. I find my mark Carlen, thanks to his peculiar facial hair, though really all of them have something special about them, something that makes them stand out. I give my best playing as close as I can.

It doesn't seem enough as they continue to hold possession and stay in our zone. At the very least we've kept them from scoring, well that is until they do, tying up the game but, so much time had been eaten up by both teams playing tough defense it was hard to see us going into the half with a lead, it was also unlikely that the Miners would get the go ahead. That's what I thought until Arnoy managed to redirect a pass to Carlen and before I knew it he was rushing the net. With minutes left in the half they score again to take the lead.

In 'our' locker room some are a little crestfallen but, what did we expect they're in the running for the Commissioner's Trophy and had eight wins in a row before their last game. Then there was that, their game against the Demons was a slaughter, they have to want to make up for that. Out there they were proving their worth, their strength. They weren't just scabs filling in for a real team, they were a team, possibly the best this year, this game could decide that. I'm still in a bit of awe. The team of misfits and the team without a home who would have guessed they'd be duking it out for top of the league.

My eyes fall on Poine, our noble captain, right now she's giving off an aura of darkness, and maybe a little hostility. Was it that she disliked the team playing in her friend's stead, or was it something else, honestly I have no idea. At the other end are Cutty and Ariel. Both look pumped, sneering a little at each other. Being down by a goal seems to light the fire in both of them, I don't think it's our of team loyalty, more personal glory. If the team loses the spot light will move from them to the team that wins.

For the remainder of the time I put my head back, letting out slow breaths. This isn't about who leads the league, this isn't about all we've been through; this is about two teams playing their best, putting everything on the line.

We returned to the field the crowd cheering and there was a lot to cheer about. Their team is in the lead and is playing phenomenally. At the start Ariel and Cutty again rush down hoping to tie up the game. The stiff Miner's defense holds up the lightning bolt and wildfire, stopping their blitz in its tracks. Slowly the play starts turning against us. I tighten up on Carlen and Ponie sticks to Tunross. When the play starts moving down the left side I hear a hard hit and a boo from the crowd. Looking over, it's our captain recovering the fumble and throwing it deep into the midfield.

The look on Ponie's face is more of a snarl as she resets. What I can see of her, she's more aggressive, vicious almost. Seems her upbringing on Nar Shaddaa was showing though. We're going to need that as the Miners come roaring back trying to put this game away early in the second half. It comes down the center were Bestide does what she can holding up the play until Valen broke past her. It looks like a rush on goal until out of nowhere Poine knocks the bearded being to the ground forcing another fumble that is recovered by our Bothan center half back.

Cutty strikes another blow for us, scoring our second goal and pulling both teams even. It was another fast play set up by Leigh. True to form the Miners came back full force and we try to hold out but, there's a gap between me and Bestide, Carlen takes it making a quick pass to the full forward Arnoy, who in the second biggest height mismatch on this field, managed to get by Bel and make a goal close on the heels of Cutty's. On the throw in Qazi flubs it sending the pass short of its mark. It is quickly picked up and put over the bar for additional point.

10-6 not a good place to be not against a defense like this, not with so little time left. The offense goes into over drive looking to close the gap, it a furious fight for control, changing hands many times., until in finds its way to Else. She looks to the bar bringing the ball up for a drop kick. I guess one point is better than none. It seems I fell for her trick as she passes to Leigh, a flash of short blonde hair on the right side. The defense tightens up blocking the lane but, a fast pass to Tian and the goal horn sounds again.

BOOM

After the team rushes the Pantoran lifting her off the ground, I see her press both hands to her mouth and blow a kiss to the 'White Spot', they deserve some credit, they made the trek out here, to the edge of the galaxy. From the sidelines I hear Boutros shout 'Sweet Cake' it's hard to keep the smile from my face. That smile is quickly wiped away as the Miners flood down looking to put this game away with another goal. We can't let that happen. We rebuff their attack with another crushing hit from Ponie and pass into the midfield.

Then it happens, with less than a minute left Leigh has possession. I look for the bar point, an easy thing, to push us into overtime, but the veteran doesn't take it. With Tian at her side Leigh rushes towards the net, the defenders are split some looking for the pass others the shot. Right at the goal box Leigh launches herself to the side, feet coming off the ground. In midair she lets off a rocket from her right arm right into the empty net. The team goes nuts, the half forwards mobbing their line mate Tian mussing her hair a little. Taking a moment, Leigh points to the 'White Spot' then raises her fist. They fought to be here and she fought for that goal, it is perfect.

Too much time had passed for the Miners to make it back and we walk away with a win. As the fanfare roared I found myself looking up. Wondering if Logan was doing the same, how I wish I could hear his voice just once more, just a sentence, just one word. In a galaxy where we can cross the stars in mere hours, when that is taken away, all we're left with is the speed of light itself. A slow thing when you're talking about the distance between stars. If I were to send a message from here to my home, how long would it be, decades, centuries, millennia before it would reach its destination? Would anyone still remember why it was sent, or the people that sent it, but maybe, just maybe…

IC: Logan Manx-Sandin
    O'pahz, Carratos

Another planning meeting, seems we have one of these every day but, this one feels different. The things being discussed feel like this is the final one the one that will setup everything else. There were a few surprises for me. Like the Star Dragons making an appearance on the front lines. The Pirate King says that the 'Baroness' contacted him, pledging her forces to his master plan. And this one is a bit of a mess.

"Howl," He starts nodding to the stout being, "You and your crew will be leading the attack on the jamming station." He points to a rather non-descript building with a few antennas sticking out from it. It appeared that the jamming signal was being broadcast across the planet from that location. It is the center of a vast network of similar stations that just boosted the inference. If that goes down, we can send a signal a message to the outside.

"Who's going to look after Glide?" Howl replies looking towards me.

"I will be, Mr. Manx-Sandin will be part of my team to take back the 'Arcadia'." My eyes go wide, isn't that were most of the fighting will be, why does he need me there. I go to object but, Howl speaks first.

"No," he says calmly, "You hired us to protect him and we'll see that through."

"I can close that particular clause of your contract if you so desire."

"No, we'll still take out your jamming station. Needs to be done, and we're," he flicked his finger between himself and Den, who just nodded her head, "the best ones to do it." He turns his attention to Bulgar and Crante. "Ears, Slim, keep an eye on Glide will ya'."

"Boss," the Balosar protests, "We've been together for years now, why split us up?"

"We have two jobs to do and you two need to carry out part of it."

"Howl," Crante cuts in, "You know I'll be more use knocking out that jamming field than guarding."

"But there's going to be a lot of fighting at the station, I'm guessing 'Patch'" the Firrerreon thrust his chin at the Pirate King, so that's his Howl name. "wants the strongest fighters hitting that place." 'Patch' nods his head. "So I want you guys to continue protecting Glide, if he's," another small gesture to the man really leading this revolt, "taking Glide up there, he's not expecting anything he can't handle but, just in case I need you to make sure our charge gets out in one piece."

I feel like I should be a little angry I mean they are deciding where I will go and who will protect me, not even asking what I want. But what would I say, I understand everything going on, I have somehow found myself in the position of being an important person. Someone worth protecting. As well that jamming station needs to be gone, with it still in place we're cut off from the galaxy at large. Zara puts a hand on my shoulder, she's in the same boat if a little worse since no one has mentioned her.

"Boss,"

"Howl,"

"I can make it an order you two." In that moment, Howl sounds like a father not wanting to command his children to do something. Crante and Bulgar both look away silently agreeing to the request. After that is settled my part in this whole affair is explained.

Once again I'm playing the face, once the 'Arcadia' is taken I'm to make an address from the bridge, one that will be broadcast across the Republic possibly beyond. It's to rally the other fleets to our cause, telling them that the blockade had been broken, and tell those that have been cut off from home that it's safe to return. My heart jumps, would Mikia hear it, were ever she is, would I get to see her again, does she even think I'm still alive. The weight hits me in the chest and I need some air. No one tries to stop me as I move towards the exit. Outside I look up, I've never seen so many stars in O'pahz's sky, a side effect of the power being rationed by the 'White Star'.

I press the button for the communicator on my chair, all I get is a red screen.

Oh, that's right, I'm cut off. But maybe just maybe…

Back on Bakura, lightyears away Mikia is looking up. '…A thought could reach across space and time'

'One thought…'

'One thought…'

'What would it be…' Mikia realizes that she has changed she's become colder, she had to, just to survive and live with the pain. Logan's changed as well, he carries scars from what he's seen, what he's been though.

'I know what it would be…'

'It's simple…'

'Real simple...'

'I am here.'

In that moment for the briefest of seconds their hearts connected, across the galaxy, they were thinking the same thing. They were still there, waiting.

TAG: Trieste

OOC: The last scene is stolen mostly from 'Voices of a Distant Star.'

jcgoble3, Vehn, Trieste and 1 other person like this.
  19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Last week of the regular season. I will accept nominations for season awards this week. Ballot to be released a week from today. Additionally, if you have not given me draftees, please do so soon.

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, and Ralltiir.

283 Week 11 Results

Denon Demons at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (23-14)
    Carratos Pirates at Chandrila Patriots (32-16)
    Mando'ade Mercs at Jakku Junkers (28-16)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Coruscant Senators (17-38)
    Bakura Miners at Ralltiir Starkillers (8-10)
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers (11-3)

Galactic Cup Playoffs
    Conference Semifinals
    (3) Mando’ade Mercs at (2) Stewjon Metropolitans
    (3) Denon Demons at (2) Coruscant Senators

Conference Finals
    ??? at (1) Carratos Pirates
    ??? at (1) Bakura Miners

Final Standings
    Skywalker Conference
    1. Carratos Pirates [galactic-vagabond422, Logan Manx-Sandin (coach), Mikia Sandin-Manx (player)] (9-2, conf. 4-1)
    2. Stewjon Metropolitans (7-4, conf. 4-1)
    3. Mando'ade Mercs [Bardan_Jusik, Randy "the rancor"/Justin Pitt (sportscasters)] (7-4, conf. 3-2)
    4. Hapes Consortium Buccaneers [jcgoble3, Tendra Nalo (player)] (6-5, conf. 2-3)
    5. Nar Shaddaa Smugglers [Vehn, Jaeda Lerouex (blogger)] (5-6, conf. 2-3)
    6. Chandrila Patriots (0-11, conf. 0-5)
    Solo Conference
    1. Bakura Miners [Trieste, Dash Stonlon (head coach)] (8-3, conf. 3-2)
    2. Coruscant Senators [Jedi Gunny, Rowdy Roosey (player)/Kala Fani Alaree (owner)] (7-4, conf. 3-2)
    3. Denon Demons (6-5, conf. 4-1)
    4. Ralltiir Starkillers [Runjedirun, Wylla Sniider (player)] (5-6, conf. 3-2)
    5. Rydonni Prime Monarchs [CPL_Macja, Kalin K'ntarr (owner)] (3-8, conf. 1-4)
    6. Jakku Junkers (3-8, conf. 1-4)
    HSN Headlines
    • Carratos Pirates win Commissioner's Trophy for second straight season
    • Elite League announces within minutes of the end of the regular season that the Chandrila Patriots have been demoted and will not return in 284
    • Stewjon to host and play in its first Galactic Cup Playoffs game in franchise history
    • Jakku Junkers organization says they will not have the funds to participate in the 284 ELL Draft
    • Nar Shaddaa Smugglers currently have claim to the first overall draft pick one season after winning the Skywalker Conference and playing in the Final as fate of Rydonni Prime Monarchs' membership in ELL is uncertain given domestic issues
    • Lilly Vehn is rumored to be shopping ownership of the Smugglers to potential suitors. This would potentially place the franchise in the hands of someone other than the Vehn family for the first time in decades
    • First overall draft pick would likely drive the price of the Smugglers franchise up dramatically
    • HSN analyst: "We all knew this was coming, but 0-11? Way to seal the deal Pats"
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

jcgoble3, Vehn and Runjedirun like this.
  20. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus potential for: Atzerri (28), Concordia (28)

Futures Cup Playoffs

Round One
    Strensky Confrence
    (4) Kamino Waves @ (3) Atzerri Bandits (10-3)
    Grames Conference
    (4)Byblos Red Wings @ (3) Concordia Crusaders (1-27)
    Round Two
    Strensky Confrence
    (4) Kamino Waves @ (2) Druckenwell Marksmen
    Grames Conference
    (3) Concordia Crusaders @ (2) Thyferra Force

Semifinals
    Strensky Confrence
    ?@ (1) Gallinore Firedrakes
    Grames Conference
    ? @ (1) Tatooine Sandskimmers

Tags: galactic-vagabond422 Bardan_Jusik Vehn Jedi Gunny jcgoble3

Vehn likes this.
  21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Wylla Sniider

Sunday Mid-Morning Before the Final Game of the Season

Dear Data Pad:

Noah was about to sneak out of the house early this morning. Before I got up, early. Luckily I heard him at the last minute and made him wait for me to get ready. It just didn’t sit right inside me for him to get to the stadium before me on game day especially when everyone knows we are living together.

I had no idea why we were leaving so early. Noah doesn’t usually get to games so early and he surely wasn’t talking this morning. He was quiet and seemed angry. I’m not even sure if it was the right thing for me to come here. If we are going to make this relationship work he needs to start communicating more. Noah went to talk to his Uncle so I headed to the locker room.

There were two people sitting on bench with their arms around each other. Not what you’re thinking, the two people were Bat and Tomas Vigo. It was a quiet private moment. One I wasn’t supposed to see. When Bat looked over to see who had come in the room he had tears in his eyes.

“We were talking about our father,” he said. “It’s the anniversary of his death.” Bat got up grabbed a ball off the floor and headed for the door. Tomas sat a few minutes longer. He didn’t face me. He was crying, but he didn’t want me to see him cry. It was such a change of mood from the evening before when we all had fun at dinner.

I decided then and there to go out and win this game. I am going to fight.

Monday Afternoon

Dear Data Pad:

What a fight! What a game! What a season!

Fourth best defense in the league. We finished strong. We played well. Would it be nice to have gone further? Sure it would. I’m not even going to think about that. I have a bright future ahead of me and I will be thankful for the opportunities I have made for myself.

Yesterday was a lot of fun. First we honored Ty Allin with a show that electrified the crowd. I didn’t know this because Coaches Jul and Till were so busy keeping us focused on our game this week, but the little Vigos, Allins, Tills and even Trazi Jul had been rehearsing a scrimmage all week. Those kids put on a show and several of them are barely big enough to kick a ball. I’m not even sure if it was just for show or a message to the league of what’s to come.

After that, the game. It was a low scoring sweat fest. Vigo scored two goals for us. One near the beginning and one to win it all at the end. The rest of our points were bar points. Two for Sureysh and two for Dunerider. All of our offense played strong. The Miners are not an easy opponent and I am sure they didn’t go into the play-offs with three consecutive losses by choice.

It wasn’t an easy task for us on defense either. Noah took command like never before. Maybe he and his uncle were cramming before the game. In one case when Fostiir was out of position Noah literally picked him up and carried him to another spot of the field. It was a show of leadership like I had never seen from Noah. It also got Fostiir’s attention and he wasn’t caught out of position again. The best part of course was lifting that trophy full of fruit over our heads and handing out the wedges of sweet orange to our fans in the front rows as a show of our appreciation.

These are my favorite types of physical games. When I get in the locker room after a game nothing satisfies me more than to squeeze a stream of water out of my sports bra and I love the taste of salty water in my shower. Salt created by my sweat and hard work. It tastes just like when you go swimming in one of our oceans and accidentally swallow the water.

I threw my belongings in my bag quickly and ran out to Noah’s speeder without lingering. Noah came out with the Bowl of Golden Oranges. It was empty since we had given the fruit away on field. “Where you taking that?” I asked.

“You’ll see,” he said smiling. We flew a few blocks to a local cantina. I was surprised because this place is popular and crawling with fans. Noah marched in with the trophy over his head and everyone cheered for us. Other Starkillers were already at the bar drinking and more arrived. The fans passed around the trophy. For many of them touching it will be a memory they will cherish for life.

Bat came with his wife and ordered fizz, not alcohol. He was a completely different man than he had been a few weeks ago when we were off world. Ty stopped in for a while too. Noah and I stayed until they shut down. I have no idea how much I had to drink. I know I had a lot of fun.

I’ve reflected some today. I want to start getting ready for next season already. It’s not time for that yet. First I have an appointment with my tattoo artist. I’m getting the entire High Ontis Mountain Chain tattooed on my back. It’s so I never forget where I came from. Even if I become a Starkiller for life I never want to forget my roots. My struggles, my families’ struggles and the people of my hometown who helped to make me who I am today.

Noah also surprised me with tickets to Tatooine for the Sandskimmers Semi-Final. It’s an interesting place to go on vacation. I know we will have fun, even if it seems like a gift he gave himself. There is no doubt that man likes his Limmie. He studies the game like no player I have ever met.

The one thing I have put off is signing up for classes. I guess I have to do that now. I promised my mom. I can’t go back on a promise to my mother.

Tag Trieste

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! from downtown Keldabe it's a Victoroooooooooy..."

"Playoffs!"

"...afternooooo... Yeah playoff afternooooooooooooon! Welcome on into the Rancor Pit. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a big..."

"Playoff!s"

"...show for you. yeah Justin, you mentioned it twice already, but after a three year hiatus..."

"Wow big word for you."

"..the Mercs are back in the playoffs baby!"

"They are, they are, and on the strength of a tough road win against a Jumkers team that was starting to figure things out."

"The Mercs just wanted it more man, I really think so."

"Give credit to the Junkers defense there too randy, they kept the Mercs under 30 points..."

"First win all season for the Mercs when held to under 30."

"And it couldn't have come at a better time."

"No it really couldn't, the defense looked like they had some things figured out there too."

"The lack of Rice in the lineup didn't seem to affect things too badly."

"True, true. And Johnnie Clipboard's absence didn't really hurt the Mercs too badly either."

"Well I think the Mercs star players really stepped it up and made sure that their respective units outperformed their opponents."

yeah, Tuvaash Mauntak on the defense and Fu Arock..."

"You got Arocked!"

"...on the offense. Both players played above and beyond and made sure the Mercs came home with a victory in the final game of the regular season."

"I know they didn't score 30, but wow, they still beat that magical 300 point mark for the regular season, this offense is some kind of crazy good."

"Never seen one like it, never. But they're going to be going up against the elite here in the playoffs, some really good defenses await, and they are going to be doing their best to shut down the Mercs potent offense."

"Yeah and we draw the Mets of all teams first."

"You look at it, the Mets had the best defense in the ELL this season..."

"A team we have never beaten either."

"...going up against the best offense in the league. it should be a great, great matchup and I think not only Mercs and Mets fans, but fans from around the league are going to be watching with keen interest to see who takes home the victory there."

"Going to be tough, going to be very very tough."

"You know me, I love defense, I think defense wins championships, but I don't think they can slow down this attack right now."

"They gave up 20 points to the Mercs in their game this season."

"Yeah problem was, they scored 30 on us."

"Second most the Mercs gave up to any opponent all season."

"Who was first?"

"Miners with 32."

"Oh, so we wouldn't have to deal with them until the finals."

"Yeah...if we can beat the Mets..."

"Big if, the Mercs have never done it before."

"...we still have to face down the Pirates in the conference title game."

"They beat us too, by a 29-23 score."

"Guess it makes sense we're the 3 seed then huh?"

"Yeah, guess so. Looking at it, the Mercs have a 2-3 record against the other teams that made the playoffs, so yeah, it is going to be tough, but it's the playoffs man. I'm excited!"

"I am too, I mean really, what's not to like?"

"And ya know? it's not like we backed into the playoffs here either. The Mercs won their last three games of the season..."

"And needed every one of those to do it."

"To clinch that last playoff berth. In some ways the Mercs post season started back in week nine against that team from Nal Hutta's moon."

"They are playing some of their best limmie right now, peaking at the right time..."

"Going to have to keep it up, going to have to keep it up."

"It's..."

"Hey guys, hate to cut you off here since we're all so happy, but we've got some breaking news out on Chandrilla."

"Chandrilla? What 0-11 Chandrilla? They announce that they won;t even have a PLL club there after this season?"

"No...a bit more serious than that." Liz sounded rather somber.

"Uh oh. What is it?"

"Reports coming in from Rae Rice's house there of a shooting, police are on scene. I don't really have much more than that but..."

"Oh no..."

TAG: No one. Good luck to all the Player teams in the playoffs.

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    IC: Rowdy Roosey

Playoff-bound.

The Senators were playoff-bound.

When the news had come in during the week that the team had sewn up a playoff spot, that had been cause for celebration. The Senators were going back to the postseason after a frustrating 282 season in which many doubts had been cast on whether or not this team could contend. They had talent, the pundits said time and again, but it was the lack of execution and consistency that had killed them. There was still inconsistency from the team, but they had also found a groove that had been lacking the prior season. And everyone felt the extra inspiration, especially the old guard players. But even Rowdy, the end-of-the-bench utility player, could sense that something was different. It felt like a winning locker room, and practice was a bit more intense as the players tried to keep up the momentum.

But first they had to deal with Nar Shaddaa. It was a big-time rivalry that had always been known for blood and pain, and Rowdy quickly saw why when the game started. It was a rock-‘em, sock-‘em backyard brawl, and the fans loved it. Rowdy wanted to get into the fray, but she wasn’t going to see much, if any, playing time today. Then again, maybe with all the rough play, there would be a chance after all.

Finally the chance came in the second half with the game no longer in doubt. The Senators were cruising with a solid offensive attack, and Rowdy came in on defense, not offense, to keep the lead. She made her presence felt several times, the hits feeling good and making up for some of the unease of irregular playing time throughout the season. Yes the starters were getting rested this way, but she was finding this playing time to be valuable. This was why she had decided to pick up this game.

After the contest, the Senators were slotted in at #2 in the Solo behind the suddenly-falling Miners. A rematch at Bakura Gardens was the goal ever since the regular-season game, but first there was Denon ahead. The Demons had kept a low profile all season, but Ware Vulf had put in another solid year. The Demons always knew when to throw a wrench in things, so there would be a game at Senator Stadium the next week. The Senators could not overlook their opponents, or else they would be sorry. Plenty had been said about the six straight playoff losses the team had endured over the last decade, and it was up to this team to not continue that level of mediocrity in the postseason. They had to push harder and play harder, because a loss was not an option. They couldn’t feel good about making the playoffs. Only a win could satisfy this group now, because they had all the talent and ability.

And, Rowdy wanted to win. It was in her nature. She wanted to see what it was like to say she had been on a team that had won a playoff game. That meant something. It was like winning a big-time fight and getting the glory. It was a badge that you never lost. But it would require hard work to stay focused, especially since she was not projected to see any playing time. There would be no resting the starters for another week. This was it; this was what the goal had been in training camp.

Now was the time to put up or shut up.

TAG: Vehn

24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Police on Chadrila confirm today that Mandalorian Mercs rookie halfback Rae Rice was shot twice in the chest at close range by her fiance and pronounced dead at the scene
    • A CPPD spokesperson says the that while their investigation continues, it appeared the shooting was in self defense after Rice flew into a rage and attacked her fiance
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik

jcgoble3 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Dash Stonlon
    Financial Square Arena, Cambrielle, Ralltiir

The knuckles of Dash’s left hand were pressing against the bottom of his scraggly chin as he watched the field. He could feel a critical moment coming. Maybe in the grand scheme of things it wouldn’t be that critical. Maybe Carratos had already won. Dash was blocking out scores from anywhere else in the galaxy. He wasn’t going to coach this game based on whether they had a shot at the Commissioner’s Trophy. That was last week. This week was this week.

The team was putting in another strong defensive showing today, like they had against Carratos last week. Ralltiir had moved in starts and fit this season, but Dash had expected this fight from them. Today was Ty Allin Day and it didn’t matter that the playoffs were out of their reach. They were going to play their hearts out for the being who was largely responsible for their back-to-back championships.

It was quite a feat when you thought about it. The ELL was punishing on its champions. Teams came out gunning for you--hard. About 120 teams had tried to repeat and had all failed. Three of them had achieved the goal. The Ithor Herders, the Kashyyyk Rangers, and now the Ralltiir Starkillers. Dash smirked as he thought about that. Five of those six championships had forced those teams to go through the Miners. The Herders had beaten the Miners twice in the Final in 204 and 205, the Starkillers twice at the Gardens in 281 and 282, and the Rangers in the second round in 265. It seemed if you wanted to repeat, you had to go through the Miners in the playoffs. For now, the dream of a threepeat would have to wait for another year.

Of course, the way this game was going, you would have thought it was a playoff game. The Starkillers were channeling their inner Ty Allin and playing a hard defense. Here at Starkiller Base, there was no surrender. Even though Ralltiir was on the outside looking in, their defense had matured over the course of the season. It had some young players mixed with experienced veterans. It was the sort of cocktail of talent that when shaken correctly could just explode. With a little more help upfront on the other end of the ball, it was a defense that could win games.

It was winning today by a score of 7-6 over the Miners. This was where his players could show off what they were made of. They could pull a number on Ralltiir like Carratos had done on them last week. One late goal would seal the deal and bring yet another rivalry trophy home to the Gardens.

Dash smiled at the thought. Gaeri would be mad about that, if he bagged them all while she was out. He’d never let her forget it either. It would be--

His train of thought was interrupted by a sudden perception that things had shifted. Miners had been surging but everything had reversed at midfield. Dash was unsurprised to see the talented Bat Vigo as the one who’d turned the tables and was now sprinting up field with the ball. The defense was so surprised by the explosion of speed and force that Vigo brought that they were totally unprepared for him barrelling through their midst. It was no surprise to Dash when Vigo scored.

There it was. 10-6 Starkillers. It was going to be a tough road back with the little time they had left, but not impossible. Even so, Dash had a feeling that the critical moment of the game had passed before his eyes as quickly as if someone had snapped their fingers.

“Trey, what a game. What defense. Has your fingerprints all over it,” Dash said, shaking the hand of the senior co-coach of the Starkillers now that the game had finished 10-8 after a couple late points by the Miners and an inability to get through Tuff for one more score. “Shame you won’t be in the playoffs--you guys are hot at the end of the season like always.” He turned to Loren Jul, the Hapan forward who had been part of one of the great coaching partnerships in limmie. “Loren, almost had you today, but Vigo was the difference today. Talent’s nothing without a system and structure. You’ve done great work here. Best of luck next season.”

Dash hustled to the visitors’ locker room before any press could get to him. He’d deal with them at the press conference. Right now he had a more important communication to make.

Pushing open the doors to the visitors’ locker room Dash appraised his team. They were tired and the two close losses were weighing heavily on them.

“All right everyone,” Dash said, taking up a spot in the middle of the room, “I’m going to be honest with all of you. We let down here at the end of the season. Now, you know what I said at the start of the season. You have all outperformed every expectation that anyone had for you. That’s true.

“But you’ve reset expectations for yourselves. You showed what was inside you all season long. And now the expectations are higher for all of us.

“We’ve shown our potential time and again. We’ve realized our potential. These last two games? Coin tosses. One different bounce and that score flips in our favor. Plain and simple. Put them out of your mind.

“Because nothing matters anymore. We are back where we started. It is preseason again. It’s time for us to find our groove again.

“We’re going back to school,” Dash proclaimed.

TAG: Runjedirun (who was kind enough to review and approve, as you all are, even if I forget to mention it! :D)

Jedi Gunny, jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.