main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Happy opening day! In true opening day fashion, we have lots of bonus rolls: Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime.

286 Week 1 Results
    Denon Demons at Jakku Junkers (6-19)
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Dac Mariners (22-25)
    Bakura Miners at Stewjon Metropolitans (38-4)
    Coruscant Senators at Ralltiir Starkillers (8-23)
    Carratos Pirates at Mando’ade Mercs (19-6)
    Hapes Consortium Buccaneers at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (6-10)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

CPL_Macja and Vehn like this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a cloudy and cool Taungsday afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the defending Galactic Cup Champion Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Mercs dropped their season opener just like last season, and boy did they look terrible doing it."

"Just like last year, they had their ceremony, raised their banner, got their rings and then...total dud from what we saw out on the field."

"Give the Pirates..."

"I really hate those guys."

"...credit though, they came out firing and really socked it to the Mercs."

"They did, they really did. Punched them right in the mouth and the Mercs just had no answer."

"Their trio of half forwards really drove that game, completely overwhelmed the Mercs halfbacks who seemed just a step slow all game long..."

"Think they seemed that way due to the emotional drain of the game or the way the Pirates came out and played?"

"A little of both I think, just a perfect storm of coming up against a tough team, a playoff team from last season, eager to knock off the reigning champs..."

"Who happen to be a huge rival."

"...and they took advantage of a team who was a bit off their own game following all the pomp and circumstance of the pre game ceremonies."

"Dragon's charge in from midfield took them by surprise too."

"That took everyone by surprise I think, but it works. He left Mor'kesh in the dust there, and the look on his face was priceless."

"Oh yeah, that 'hey where the shab did he go?' look form Mr'kesh when he lost track of Dragon."

"Ended up being an open shot that was just emblematic of this game."

"Mercs got dominated in all phases, but where do they go from here?"

"Tough sledding ahead, they are at the Monarchs next week, and that's always a tough game, especially on the road."

"Must win already?"

"No, not at all, especially being a non conference game, but a loss would mean starting out the season 0-2 and that would be a hard thing to come back from, especially with the Senators on the horizon."

"Have to remember too that the Mercs lost last season's home opener in a similar fashion to an in conference foe."

"Yeah, but that was to the Valor, a team that went on to win a grand total of just two games all season."

"Your point?"

"I don't see the Pirates going away that easily, they'll be in the playoff hunt and now they have an advantage over the Mercs in the standings."

"Well we said it was going to be tough for the Mercs to even make it back to the playoffs to defend their title, now we have our first evidence of that."

"Just one game, plenty of time left in what will no doubt be a long season."

TAG: galactic-vagabond422

3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines
    • Kerry Trieste speaks publicly at Bak10 media day regarding the new playoff format
      • Confirms that she was part of a high level working group formed by GCAA to review the new system
      • “The big changes--the elimination of bowl games as play-ins, the delinking of the Bowl matchups, and the HSN rankings being used to determine the playoff participants--are all positive improvements”
    • Trieste said that the Bak10 athletic directors voted to de-link the Bak10 from the Carnation Bowl during the offseason, endorsing new format
      • “It’s the right thing for the sport and the GCAA has made it clear that they’re going to respect the heritage of the Carnation Bowl. We have every hope that our teams will play in it often en route to the galactic championship.”
    • When asked about the possibility of a Bak10 champion being shut out from the playoff by finishing worse than eighth, Trieste said, “It’s a possibility. However, I’ve been clear that the best thing for college limmie is a playoff system that makes more sense. We’ve had top 8 teams in the last two seasons and the year before that our champion had one loss. If we can’t make the top 8, then we shouldn’t be in the playoffs.”
      • HSN analyst: “Watch a two loss Bak10 champion finish ninth in the rankings this year. Just watch and remember these words when Kerry Trieste is crying about how unfair the system is.”
    TAG: Bardan_Jusik

jcgoble3, Runjedirun and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines
    • ELL registers the trade of the Meril brothers to the Stewjon Metropolitans in exchange for three million credits
    • Trade was completed prior to training camp, but was left unannounced due to backlog of transactions
    • Mets head coach Cherry Tollins says the Merils will start in Week 2 vs. Denon after spending Week 1 vs. Bakura on the bench learning the team's playbook
    • Team captain Noah Trevor will move to the Full Forward position
    TAG: jcgoble3

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

The LFL Welcomes the Iego Angels to the League!

Limme Premier League 286 Schedule
    Week 1
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Atzerri Bandits
    Thyferra Force @ Concordia Crusaders
    Iego Angels @ Tatooine Sandskimmers

Week 2
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Thyferra Force
    Iego Angels @ Atzerri Bandits
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Concordia Crusaders

Week 3
    Iego Angels @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Tatooine Sadskimmers @ Thyferrra Force
    Concordia Crusaders @ Atzerri Bandits

Week 4
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Concordia Crusaders @ Iego Angels
    Atzerri Bandits @ Thyferra Force

Week 5
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Concordia Crusaders
    Atzerri Bandits @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Thyferra Foce @ Iego Angels

Week 6
    Atzerri Bandits @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Thyferra Force @ Concordia Crusaders
    Iego Angles @ Tatooine Sandskimmers

Week 7
    Thyferra Force @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Iego Angels @ Atzerri Bandits
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Concordia Crusaders

Week 8
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Iego Angels
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Thyferra Foce
    Concordia Crusaders @ Atzerri Bandits

Week 9
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Concordia Crusaders @ Iego Angels
    Atzerri Bandits @ Thyferra Foce

Week 10
    Concordia Crusaders @ Druckenwell Marksmen
    Atzerri Bandits @ Tatooine Sandskimmers
    Thyferra Froce @ Iego Angles

Tags: Jedi Gunny Bardan_Jusik galactic-vagabond422 Vehn

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Mihal Ceallaigh
    Inky Raven pub, Salis D’aar, Bakura

"Good afternoon," Mihal said as he took his customary seat.

"Okay, let's just get it over with," Piper said, coming over to clean the bar in front of him with a rag.

"Get what over with?" Mihal asked innocently.

"Miners look like the best team in the league right now, they're going to win the Cup this year, yadda yadda yadda," Piper groused. "You know, everything that every other customer has been saying. But please, try to top their hyperbole despite the fact you beat a team that wasn't good enough to play ELL limmie last season. I.e., the worst team in the league."

"Ah, well they did look rather fine, didn't they?" Mihal said happily.

"Maybe if they hadn't kept the Merils on the bench the Mets would have had a shot," Piper said. "You dominated the time of possession. Did Comstock even have to deal with five minutes of defensive zone time? That was the easiest shutdown I've ever seen."

"You hear the report on the BBC?"

"Pfft," Piper said, waving her hand. "Public broadcasting. Never listen to it. Give me the HNN any day of the week."

"So then you haven't heard the rumor," Mihal said, raising the eyebrows.

"Uh uh," Piper said, wagging her finger as she poured Mihal's Three Crowns. "You play coy with teasers like that and I play coy with your pint."

"And about that tip?" Mihal asked mischeviously.

Piper rolled her eyes. "I hate that trump card," she sighed as she put Mihal's beer in front of him. "Okay, what did the BBC say?"

"That Quinn Cundertol was furious. He told Valerii to sub in Blake at the half and she wouldn't do it," Mihal said conspiratorially.

"She damn well shouldn't have!" Piper exclaimed. "Take out a keeper working a shutdown. Infamnia. You don't do that. Oh, wait." Piper slapped her forehead. "We're talking about Quinn Cundertol, the biggest jerk in the entire galaxy. No wonder it took 200 years before his family could show their face on this planet."

"Heard about that, did you?"

"There's a library down the street and believe it or not they let me check out books on Bakuran history there. Man, Moliere Cundertol was stupid."

"That he was," Mihal sighed.

"Okay, speaking of stupid things, explain something to me," Piper asked, leaning forward. "On game day, there are vidscreens everywhere showing the Miners game. And now they're gone." She gestured to bar's currently relatively unoccupied interior, which indeed was devoid of any type of holographic projection or visual presentation.

"They're hidden behind the wood somehow. Never quite figured out how it worked," Mihal said before drinking his beer.

"No, I get that. But my question is why aren't they out now," Piper pressed. "There are sports going on in the galaxy right now."

"But they aren't Miners games. They only show two things here: Bak10 limmie games and Bakura Miner games. Though, I supposed they showed the Interplanetary Cup too," Mihal mused.

"What kind of a sports bar is this then?"

"It's a neighborhood pub," Mihal stated. "You hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"Exactly. There's no music."

"Right! You know how boring it gets here during the day without anything to listen to?"

"If there were music, would we be talking right now?" Mihal asked. "If there were two dozen beings in this bar, would they all be talking? I doubt it. A neighborhood pub should be a place that beings come to be together, to socialize. It's about the beings around you, not some lightball game on Dantooine."

Piper looked at Mihal and then sighed. "Bakurans are weird."

"Though, of course there's the sessions in the corner."

"Sessions? Of what?"

"Traditional music. Haven't you been here in the evening?" Mihal asked. "It's a right good time."

"All I've seen was a bunch of instruments left unattended for an entire evening," Piper said. "They didn't seem to be the self-playing kind of instruments either. It was a little weird."

"Oh, that would be because the band sets up and then goes out drinking," Mihal explained. "They don't always come back."

Piper shook her head. "Luke, Leia, and Han. You are a weird planet."

"They say that when our ancestors got to Bakura and realized they were on the edge of the known galaxy, some of them went mad," Mihal shared.

"Clearly they dominated the gene pool," Piper sighed.

TAG: None, darn NPC team.

Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Briar Adama
    Ralltiir

For having made the Conference Championship game the prior season, the Senators had not looked the part in their season opener. The hometown Starkillers have come to play, completely dominating the Senators in all phases of the game. Sometimes fans thought that had one or two plays gone differently, or the oft-cited “blame-the-ref” technique for a bad call down the stretch, that a game could come out differently. This was not one of those days. This was one of those days where you had to admit that your team was soundly beaten and that it was best to look forward to the next game instead of dwelling on how this one turned out.

The Starkillers had come out with a lot more fire than they had shown in their friendly loss against the droid team. It appeared that the Senator players had taken too much stock of that outcome, and despite the repeated warnings Briar had given to them, it had cost them. She had been afraid of that happening; it was all too common in this sport, to expect to be able to coast through a schedule. That kind of logic always ended up biting a team in the backside.

Of interest was how Bas Wren took her first Elite League game. With no friendly match ahead of this one, it was her first chance to play against competition outside of her teammates in scrimmages. She had been soundly defeated by the Starkiller defense, prevented from using her speed and lethal dexterity to good use. The times when she wasn’t taken out of a play by a defender was usually when she made a boneheaded play; those were rare, but there were enough flaws in her performance that one could tell she needed more experience.

“Tough game,” Mirik Lopaki, the assistant GM, commented.

“The Starkillers wanted this game a lot more than our players did,” Briar mused. “They showed up to play, and we didn’t, simple as that. I saw way too much entitlement out there on our side, probably from last year’s trophy win. We cannot allow another effort like this for next week; I will make sure the coaches reiterate that on the way to Hapes Prime.”

As she boarded the team shuttle later on, Briar was reminded how volatile the media could be. There was already unease in the fanbase that their team was headed towards the #1 overall pick in the 287 Draft. While it was much too early to speculate, they did have a point; consistency had been hard to come by for this franchise for a decade. After winning the Commissioner’s Trophy in 285, the Senators had to come out and put in a good follow-up showing. But they obviously needed to work on a significant number of things if they wanted to get back to the playoffs this season. It was early, and that was when mistakes were easier to correct. The only question was if these were issues that could be easily fixed.

TAG: Runjedirun

Trieste and Runjedirun like this.
  8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Richard Vigo

You just know you are going to have a good afternoon when your son is getting his fingerprints all over the flimsy of the front of your box. “Look, there he is!” Jimsey exclaimed when Olidiipo ran out of the tunnel for warm ups.

“Look at those biceps. I’m going to have biceps like that one day,” he proclaimed as he clenched his fist and displayed his stringy arm in the air.

“What a joke,” Zoey observed with an eye roll. “You can barely carry your backpack in the school hallway without getting short of breath.”

The 12 year old in the room had no parents present. Since Jimsey didn’t seem to mind the insult I let it slide.

“Who cares about the stupid offense anyway,” T.J. declared. “Everyone knows defense wins championships!”

“Both sides are important,” I said as I walked up to the front of the booth. Ezra sat quietly with his eyes on the field and Cammie was cross legged on the floor. I glanced up at Lucie who didn’t even seem to be looking down at the field. I wondered about Ty’s habit of carrying around ale bottles. I worried about my sister’s family.

“My daddy won the best defensive cup game in the history of the Galaxy,” T.J. reminded everyone. I watched Lucie’s face fall.

“Without the offensive point there would have been no win,” I reminded T.J. His dad had been simply amazing in that game. He played through injuries though and Lucie had found him unconscious afterward. T.J. didn’t seem to remember that. Did T.J. know his father forgot often because of his head injuries? Did T.J. know his father visited doctors weekly to help keep his memory intact? Did Ty pretend to drink because he knew I couldn’t fire him. If I did he could sue me or the league. Perhaps bring down an entire franchise or league.

I brushed it all aside as a military fly-over brought a cheer from the crowd. Players ran out on the field and took their positions.

Our new midfielder showed off some spectacular dribbling skills early. Sureysh wowed the crowd with an early goal. Cliff Tuff slapped a ball out of the goal with one hand. I chose to drink an iced caf because I was letting Ty Allin get to me. “Go, Go Go!” I heard Jimsey scream. He was jumping up and down banging on the flimsy. Olidiipo had the ball.

I stood up to get a better view. Olidiipo dribbled all the way up the field and made a nice pass to Fortune. Fortune was wide open and made an easy goal. “Why’d he pass it?” Jimsey moaned. “You should of taken the shot!” He called down to the field.

I chuckled. “Dumbass,” Zoey commented. “Andres had a wide open shot and he’s one of the leading scorers in the league. Your little idol did the right thing.”

Aside from the dumbass part Zoey made a good point. Olidiipo remained scoreless for the entire first half. Jimsey was getting discouraged. Yolanda punched a ball through the uprights for a bar point at the beginning of the second half. “Now everyone has scored,” Jimsey complained. “Everyone but Olidiipo. I know he can do it, why doesn’t he score?”

“He’s playing a good game,” Ryan said walking up to the front of the box. “Scoring isn’t everything. Limmie is a team sport, someone has to pass and more importantly someone has to tackle. Did you see the tackle that allowed Sureysh to score on that last play?”

“Well yea, it was an awesome tackle,” Jimsey agreed. “Olidiiipo took that guy down!”

The afternoon was winding down. The sun was setting and the stadium lights were filling the field with artificial light. “Get open! Get Open!” Jimsey screamed as if we weren’t ahead by 12 points.

There he stood though, a wide open Vic Olidiipo. Lofykam passed through the air and Olidiipo made the easy catch. He didn’t hesitate as he took his shot and scored his first ELL goal. “Oh my gosh! Did you see that? Did you see that?” Jimsey was beside himself.

When I arrived at the stadium on Tuesday Caffrett McMee was pacing the hallway near my office. “Team meeting is downstairs in the training room,” I said as I cleared my throat. “Please don’t tell me you have a problem with the Coach’s after a big win on opening day.” Realizing that if she did have a concern and she did want to voice it I quickly back tracked. “I mean you are a valued employee and whatever you have to say I’m listening.”

She folded her hands in front of her. She bit her lip and took a breath. “I can’t believe this is hard to say, I mean especially to you,” she rambled.

“You can tell me anything,” I assured. “Why don’t you come in,” I offered as I used my thumb print to unlock my office door. The lights automatically came on at a dim setting. I set them to gradually brighten the first hour of the day. I found it more gentle on the eyes. Instead of heading behind my desk I grabbed one of the chairs in front of it and offered Caffrett the other. “Any concern of a player is a concern of mine,” I assured her.

She gladly took the seat. She relaxed a little. “I’m not here to talk about the team,” she explained. “I have a personal problem.”

“I’m more than happy to listen,” I said doing best to put some enthusiasm into my voice.

“Do you ever experience backlash for being married to another guy?” She asked unexpectedly.

“More often than you’d expect,” I admitted. Of course I knew what she was going to say next, but I allowed her to say it.

“For some time now,” she started. “I’ve known that I am attracted to women. My parents are traditional,” she explained. “We’ve always been close. We’ve always gotten along. They were so proud of me after the win on Sunday. They called me on my data pad to congratulate me. It seemed like a good time to break the news. I’ve been dating someone a while now and the secret has been gnawing on me more and more.”

“Your parents didn’t take it well?” I hazarded.

“My father told me it was just a phase,” she said allowing anger to show in her voice.

“And your mother?” I asked.

“I don’t understand,” Caffrett said sadly. “My mother’s always been my best friend. She kept trying to change the subject. She wouldn’t even acknowledge what I had told her.”

“I’m so glad you came to me about this,” I reassured. “I do understand. I never even told my father about my relationship.” I watched her eyes bug as I admitted possibly my deepest regret. “Hopefully your parents will come around. If you need family in the meantime you can come have dinner at my house anytime,” I offered.

She lit up. “Thanks,” she said simply. “I better go. I don’t want to be late for that meeting.” She jumped out of her chair and raced down the hallway towards the lift to the field level.

I left Jimsey at home when I went to walk the stadium and shore up any loose ends before the Pirates game. He’d been up early, but was willing to go hang out with Louise in their new video game room. Upon arrival at the stadium I headed straight to the Coach’s office where I found Ty Allin. He was tossing a ball around his office. Bouncing it off a wall and making catches. I knocked softly as I let myself in.

“Morning,” I greeted.

He was caught off guard. “Oh, hi.” He said softly.

I walked right by him and opened his top desk drawer. I grabbed the ale bottle and spun it around in my hands. “You know this isn’t sealed properly,” I pointed out as I tapped the cap. He just stood there staring at me. I took the cap off and drank the fizz. It burned my throat, but in a much different way than ale. “I think it’s gone bad,” I said making a face.

“What do you want?” Ty asked.

“I want to know why you want me to think you have started to drink? It’s most unusual. Lots of bosses would have just fired you. Do you think I won’t or can’t fire you?”

“You can do whatever you want,” Ty said with a shrug of his shoulders.

This wasn’t the Ty I knew. “Can I?" I challenged.

Ty leaned up against a wall and hugged his bolo ball. “Look I got some bad news recently. The head injury. It isn’t going away. I have 10 maybe 15 years to live. And before that I could lose my mind completely. This isn’t just a Limmie thing,” he said loudly before I could interrupt. “My father, my teachers, my coaches, prison guards, they all wrapped the back of my head when I got out of line. There’s just nothing that can reverse the damage enough. Please don’t take my job,” he whispered.

“Does Lucie know?” I asked not caring about Limmie.

He nodded. “I promise I can coach this season, hopefully several more. Quiz me on anything. We play the Pirates today. Leigh is their top scorer. They beat the Mercs last week, and that’s scary,” he added. “They won’t be an easy opponent today. Fortune played lights out last week,” he continued. “I’ve been watching Noah and Wylla at practice. They might flirt a little more than they should. Poletin still has flare and Hervey surprises me every day.”

“I don’t doubt you,” I said putting my hand up to stop him. “I’m not going to take this diagnosis sitting down either. I’m going to make some calls. We’ll find a doctor who can help,” I assured him.

Ty shook his head, but he smiled and thanked me. “You can keep the ale,” he said as I walked out of his office with it still in my hand. I had forgotten I still held it.

Tags: Jedi Gunny galactic-vagabond422

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Addison Karr
    New Vertica, Nar Shaddaa
    Smuggler Front Office
    286 ABY

"Miss Karr," the media liason said poking her head into the general manager's office. "The media is requesting a press conference."

"Regarding?" Addison said looking up from her computer terminal.

"The draft, the state of the franchise, and..." the media liason trailed off.

"And?"

"Theyr'e questioning whether or not you were properly vetted for this position. They're questioniong whether or not you are capable enough to lead this squad given your..." the media liason stopped in mid-sentence. She wasn't sure if she should proceed.

"Spit it out," Addison said, her eyes all fire.

"War record."

Addison rose from her desk and turned her back on the media liason. She gazed lazily out at the blinking lights of the city that never slept. Air tugs, speeders, taxis, transports, and even larger capital ships buzzed above, through, and below the many skyscrapers and walkways. The city was alive with an energy that rejuvenated her, gave her focus, gave her clarity, and helped her forget the sins of her past.

"Miss Karr? Should I tell them to call it off?"

"No," Addison replied, "it's time I gave them what they wanted."

Press Conference
    New Vertica, Nar Shaddaa

Addison stood before the podium, the assembled media masses, as camera's clicked, lights flashed, holodroids zoomed left and right, all trying to get the best angle, the best soundbite, on the heiress of Druckenwell, the heiress of Karr Pharmaceuticals. Addison checked her chrono. The Smugglers were now playing on Dac. She hadn't followed the team because she had to put out this fire.

"Good afternoon. I will now take your questions," Addison said.

A chorus of voices shot up through the room. Addison felt as if she'd been hit by a hurricane as she weathered the storm, the roaring wind of voices, the torrential downpour of criticism and questioning. It was hard to pick just one person to answer. Her eyes settled on a familiar face. A woman who believed that Karr Pharmaceuticals, and therefore everyone who came from that family, was purely motivated by corporate greed.

"Carly," Addison said calling out her long time rival.

Carly Fyres, former host of the popular sports talk show Fyre Storm, stood and adjusted her auburn hair. All eyes in the room turned to look at the venerable reporter. She had since left the world of sports journalism to focus on what she viewed was real journalism: life. She was missing her left arm from the elbow down. A war wound. A land mine.The war between Roon and Druckenwell had taken its toll on her as well.

"Addison," Carly said. "This is your first press conference as general manager despite being with the team for over a year now. Is that because Vera Grames herself didn't trust you with the media based on your checkered past?"

"What checkered past are you referring?" Addison questioned.

"Your war record," Carly replied.

A heavy silence descended across the room. Addison didn't react. Her mind raced with things to say. Rebuttals to give. Excuses, even. Too many words were at the tip of her tongue ranging from benign to downright nasty. She wanted to fire back at Carly, attack the woman's own time during the war, but that would be a mistake. That had been the card that so many had chosen to pull when confronted with her questions.

Addison sighed. "I am only going to say this once, so listen carefully. I ran supplies, many of them necessary, to both sides during the conflict. Against the wishes of my family, against the concerns of friends, against my own beliefs at times, I entered conflict zones that would have most of you in this room urinating in your pants. I fought through the blockade of Herdessa. I braved the muddy, lice infested trenches of Mon Grappa. I was there on Roon when the war ended in a blaze of misery. My war record is impeccable. Look it up. Do your own research. Whatever you do, do not listen to that woman."

More silence.

"Does anyone else have something to say on the matter?" Addison asked the room. She noticed that Carly Fyres sat down, quietly reflecting on what Addison had said.

"Now, let's get down to the real business, shall we? The business of running the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. I'm sure you all have questions as to why we decided not to participate in the draft this year...."

Six Boroughs Stadium
    Nar Shaddaa
    26th Annual Black and Blue Battle

"Tradition dictates that you stand right here," Vera Grames said to Addison pointing out a spot at the entrance to the tunnel leading out onto the pitch.

"Why?" Addison asked.

"Because that's what Kaitlyn Vehn did. That's what Rhia Grames did. That's what all general managers who work for the burgundy and black have done since the inception of the franchise," Vera pointed out. "It's tradition, Addison."

"I didn't do this last year," Addison replied.

"You were learning the ropes then. You've gone through one ELL season running the front office. Now it's high time that you learned the other aspects of your position," Vera said. "You see, tradition is more than following age old customs for show. It's about respect. Respecting the institution. Respecting the uniform.

"When those players come down the tunnel the first thing they see as they burst out into the light is you. You are the guiding beacon of this franchise. This roster that is on the team is yours. Yours to cultivate. Yours to support. Yours to cheer on when times are good and regroup when times are bad. I don't know about other general managers in the league, or other franchises, but I know that here on Nar Shaddaa we like our traditions. Six Boroughs stadium is hallowed ground. It's not only the final resting place of my grandmother Rhia Grames and Kaitlyn Vehn, it is the place where our dreams of championship glory come alive," Vera said.

"Why didn't you show me all of this last year when I first started? Why did you hide me from the press and keep me running the team from the offices at New Vertica?" Addison asked.

"One simple reason," Vera replied, "you weren't ready."

"And now?" Addison asked.

"Now this team is yours. Now this team will follow you anywhere," Vera replied, "so long as you keep to tradition. So long as you respect what has come before as you blaze a path toward what is to come."

"I don't know where to begin," Addison said. It was rare for her to feel so uncertain. This wasn't like her.

"Yes, you do," Vera replied as she headed toward a turbolift that would take her to the owner's box.

Addison heard the crunching of cleats on durracrete. She turned around to find the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, single file, wearing their all black jerseys with burgundy accents and shorts. They were special jerseys. Jerseys that were only brought out to honor the Black and Blue Battle. The Miners, Addison saw as the visiting team warmed up on the pitch, had chosen to wear all blue jerseys with golden accents and shorts. It was, after all, tradition.

Addison returned her attention to the lineup. Leading the team out onto the pitch was team captain Martia Paak, graduate of Keldabe Military Institute, first pick of the 282 draft. Addison felt a surge of pride as she looked at Paak. She'd fought hard all her life to be recognized, to be respected, and accolades had started to come in when she wrestled away the captaincy from Mick Steele last year in training camp.

Addison extended her hand in the traditional handshake and said, "Very thankful to have you here, Martia. I'm very confident you'll lead us to victory today."

"That's my intention, Miss Karr. That's my intention," Martia said as her name was called during team introductions.

One by one, Addison shook hands with the players. All of them.

Mick Steele, 280 first round draft pick, local boy, from VCU.

Sa'Akhuun, Helmsman Winner, 280 second round draft pick, VCU.

Peter, "Maverick", Mitchell, 281 first round draft pick, Bakura Fleet Academy.

Tom, "Iceman", Kaz'ansky, 281 second round draft pick, Chiss Ascendency.

Shady Lerouex, 275 second round round draft pick, University of Bakura Salis D'aar.

Zen Keisel, 275 second round draft pick, Druckenwell Technical University. He would be a reserve for this game.

Erin Windreaver, 276 first round draft pick, University of Tatooine.

Zelena Wiles, 278 first round draft pick, PCNS.

Annabelle Shaw, 279 second round draft pick, University of Tatooine.

Victor Drago, 283 first round draft pick, Enarch Tech University.

Gretta Hardy, 283 second round draft pick, University of Ord Mantell.

Ric Grimes, 284 first round draft pick, VCU.

Zak Tomaas, 285 third round draft pick, Druckenwell Technical University.

Jade Enders, 285 second round draft pick, VCU.

Helen Ripley, 285 first round draft pick, VCU.

Addison watched as they filed past her, the handshakes complete, the small talk done being exchanged. Now they had the challenging task of taking on the Bakura Miners. A squad that had gone to the Final last season only to run into the buzzsaw known as the Mando'ade Mercs. The Miners had owned the rivalry as of late. They were on a five year winning streak. This being the 26th annual meeting between the two storied franchises in the Silver Age.

Addison knew the rivalry had waned a bit in recent years, superseded by a nasty in conference rivalry with Carratos and Mando'ade. To her, though, the Black and Blue Battle was memorable every year, even if Nar Shaddaa didn't always win. Part of that had to do with the historic match ups between the two franchises. The other part had to do with the sharing of the Old Whiskey Trophy, that ingenious reward devised by both franchises years ago. To the victor went the spoils. To the victor went the liquor and fame.

Addison stayed on the sidelines as the game was about to commence. She took in the sights of the full stadium, the glass dome, the massive steel girders, the pristine grass, the infamous skull and cross-blasters logo at midfield. The roar of the crowd was deafening as the game commenced. The sound thundered in her chest, made her ears ring and whine, and still she could not help but smile.

The Black and Blue Battle erupted with a fire and ferocity unseen in ages.

Tag: Trieste (for team mentions) ; Bardan_Jusik (for team mentions)

10. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi, I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"Let's start in the S-16, where number two Chandrila A&M University beat University of Corellia, Bella Vistal 24-17."

"Over in the Bak10, the Pioneers of UB Telaan Valley lost a stunner at home 12-10 to the Bakuran Fleet Academy Ensigns."

"University of Tatooine, Anchorhead dominated in their 34-2 win over unranked Ackbar Air Fleet College."

"Kashyyyk lost an out of conference match to the Dawn Treaders of Concord War College 15-8."

"And the University of Devaron got shocked 14-13 by Imperial College of Bastion, a team with just 4 upper classmen starters."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Top 25 rankings after Week One

1. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute
    2. Chandrila A&M University
    3. UB Salis D'aar
    4. Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore)
    5. Dac State University
    6. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa
    7. Norand University, Carratos
    8. University of Corellia, Bella Vistal
    9. Druckenwell Technical University
    10. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    11. UB Telaan Valley
    12. University of Devaron
    13. University of Sanbra
    14. Ralltiir University
    15. University of Csilla
    16. University of Zeltros
    17. University of Agamar
    18. University of Kashyyyk
    19. Wookiee Forrest Institute
    20. The Ord Sabaok University
    21. Grand Vulptur System University
    22. Concord War College
    23. University of Onderon Rupings
    24. Imperial College of Bastion
    25. Balmorra State University

Runjedirun likes this.
  11. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Harron Myrat'ur
    The Kingston Pub, O'Pahz, Carratos

"Huh," the burly man with the broken nose grunted as Herron handed over a pouch of credits. He open the bag, howlrunner tattoo visible on the back of his right hand. Slowly he pulled a coin out and set it on the bar top. He took another and another.

"Seriously, you're going to count it?" Harron said exasperated by the whole exchange.

"If I give Raka a light haul, she's libel to gut me, then come looking for the rest of her money." The thug answered rather nonchalantly as he continued to count up the money, piece by piece, each one tapping on the metal bar. Each tic caused Harron to twitch just a little, he didn't know why.

"Your boss sounds like a wonderful woman." He said looking to step away.

"You think she's bad, you should hear about her sister." The other man grumbled, reaching out a hand. Said meaty appendage wrapped around Harron's wrist, "I'm not done." He scolded pulling the assistant coach closer like a parent would a child.

Harron wrenched his hand away a slight sneer on his face, "So your boss has a sister, she…" he didn't know how to word this and right now he didn't care about being delicate, "In the family business?"

This question drew a huff from the thug, "Used to be, she went 'straight' a while back." Another chuckle left the burly being's chest "Like there is such a thing on this planet."

"You see her often." Harron snapped offhandedly.

"Every game day."

Harron's face soured, he wasn't expecting an answer, much less that answer, "Limmie?" he followed up brow still raised. The thug, taking ages to count the payment nodded his head. "Who do you support?"

"There's only one team you can pull for, the Black and White, the Skulls and Bones, the Pirates. At least when Raka's around. She doesn't take too kindly to fans of other teams."

"How does she feel about the Mercs?"

"Blue and Silver are banned colors, you where those you are cursing for a beatdown. Same for burgundy, wear those shades at your own peril."

Harron took a seat next to the broad-shouldered human, "you're rather talkative for a 'debt collector'." He said with a bit of sarcasm.

"All part of customer service." There was a pause as he finished counting, finally. "You made good," he continued putting the pouch of money into his pocket. "Pleasure doing business." Harron turned away thinking it was all over. "You know," the thug called out leaning back on his stool, "We've got a game mostly stupid rich guys looking to take a risk."

Harron stopped looking over his shoulder, "Why you telling me this?"

"You seem like you've got a thing for the cards. I'm just offering you an easy win. You get play, without any risks. I'm sure we can work something out, offer you a bit of credit to get you started." There was an oniums pause, "Least I could do for such a loyal customer."

A shiver ran up his spine. This was like setting a free drink in front of his father. It was right there, no risks, no strings, just a game. He swallowed hard, weighing his options, well he wasn't really, he was just trying to fight off the almost irresistible urge to say 'yes'. Gambling was what got him into this mess, got him a heart to heart with his boss, and his Brother/Landlord angry at him. But, a game, free and clear, he'd be stupid not to take the chance. Rich idiots just looking for a thrill, they'd be easy picking for him. He wasn't the best but, he's won a few hands against the best card sharps on Carratos, a place known for two things, Pirates, both literal and figurative, and gambling.

He was frozen for a long, noticeable amount of time. Still wrestling with the fact that he shouldn't but, the offer was just too tempting. "When's this game."

"It happens every week, you can show up or not. Its run out of Vane's, so show up when you want, I'll keep you in mind."

Mesh'la Vhetin, Keldabe, Mandalore

Harron had taken the thug up on his offer of the 'easy money' game. A few times in fact, and he wasn't lying. The people he played against probably hadn't even heard of a sabbacc face much less had one themselves. However while it allowed him to indulge in games without too many risks. It was the risk that had hooked him so many years ago. Even though he was winning money, good money, he wasn't getting what he really needed, the thrill. Never once had his heart rang in his ears while he was playing those games. It was maybe time to get back into his regular games, against real opponents.

Thoughts of home would have to wait. His team had a game to play and against their greatest rivals. In the locker room everyone was fired up, ready to get a jump on the season ahead of them. A win here would be a huge boost to morale. In Harron's experience how a team feels, has a big effect on their performance. Right now, everyone seemed ready to go, some of the younger players looked to be just barely containing themselves. Off in a corner was Anne Ocracoke, one of the rookies, speed stacking. It was a skill she showed off a few times during training camp and she did it to warm up her hands.

Hands she might not need this game. She was a corner back, with the loss of Ame'shepa'sabosen there was an opening for another back line defender. However she was stuck behind Kala, Bel, and Boutros. The latter being a veteran of the 278 team, the original team, tough players that have seen the ups and downs of this game and know it almost inside and out. As well Boutros was one of the most aggressive and physical backs on the field. 'Queen' Anne was more, tactical, preferring to pick off passes rather than the ball carrier.

Another veteran of 278 walked past Harron. The growing legend that was Leigh Cavanaugh. He would have thought she'd have shoulders the width of a Star Destroyer. Given the stories told of her putting the whole team upon them and carrying her mates to victory. Looking at her in the flesh, she looked average, athletic yes but, nothing like the mythical woman that made the opposition quake when she stepped on the field, that terrified goalkeepers as she charged down on them. He couldn't deny that she did have this air about her, especially before this game, an aura of determination and power. If the assistant coach still played he'd fear having to play her.

Soon it came time to take the field in the single largest stadium in the galaxy. The noise as the Pirates took the field was rather muted. He was expecting a defending roar. However first was the raising of the championship banner, the receiving of the rings and finally the dha werda verda. As was tradition the Pirates put their arms over each other's shoulders, an unbroken wall of black and white. They wouldn't be intimidated, not by the crowds, not by the challenge being thrown down, nothing could shake their will, not from what Harron could see.

The ref started the match and right away, the assistant coach could see a difference in the two teams. The Mercs while they were playing and putting up a defense, it was slower, not as, well perfect as one would expect. Particularly from the second best defense last year, a year they won the Cup, as the banner that now hung above them clearly stated. The Pirates on the other hand came out thrusters on full, from whistle to whistle they never let up, never slowed down. It was a constant assault when the visitors had the ball, and even when they didn't they were still a force to be reckoned with.

The 'Iron Cage' was doing its work keeping the pressure on the defense, even when the forwards didn't have the ball. When the Mercs did make their way into the Pirates' zone they still had difficulties making any headway. 'One Eye' Logan grumbled from next to Harron. He could understand, the coach might have been expecting more from the back to back GC winners. If Harron was honest, he expected a little harder fight. Not that the game didn't have its trademark physicality, it was just that, the Pirates were visibly doing better, coming out on top in almost every engagement.

All throughout the first half Harron could see the influence of the half-forwards on the offense. It wasn't just the goal Leigh had put in, or the assist from Seiji. It was everything, the offense started with them, and they seemed to dictate the pace of the attack, which was always breakneck speed. Cutty and Ariel were always in the front applying pressure not giving the back line any rest. If a turnover happened in the offensive zone the Mercs still had to get past the tenacious half forwards and the midfield pair of Dragonblaster, Natsu Dragon and Grey Fullblaster.

The first half ends with the Pirates a little ahead of the Mercs on the scoreboard, and well ahead if you looked at the stats. During the break the team was somewhat up beat, they weren't really expecting it to be this easy. Well easy for a Mercs/Pirates game. Leigh and the other players on the half forward line wore some welts and other signs of tough physical play but, they didn't seem worn down. In fact it looked like they could go for another hour, maybe more. It wasn't just L.E.S the whole team was ready to go another round.

That same energy carried over into the second half. Though the Mercs found their openings and scored goals, they didn't faze the team, nor did it faze their coach. The order was clear, keep the pressure on, and keep it on they did. Leigh came charging in from the right bypassing Riian with a quick juke. Tian kept the wall of muscles and scales that was Mauntak at bay. It was only a few moments but, it was enough for Leigh to get the shot off. The experienced forward let off a fast rising shot the just got above Stargazer.

After a quick celebration the team settled back into the rhythm they had started from the beginning. The forwards assailed the defenders constantly, like quick moving predators they stuck fast and from unexpected directions. Still the Mercs couldn't seem to find the energy to match the Pirates. They were getting a little overwhelmed with the relentless attack. It seemed no matter how hard the defense hit one of the forwards, they always got right back up and got right back to what they were doing. Madalorians were tough but, it looked like Carratosians were giving them a run for their credits.

While much of the focus was on the offense, the defense was putting in a solid performance. The three ladies of the half forward line were constantly harrying the Mercs offense. If last year's champs made it past the first line, they still had the back line of Kala, Bel and Boutros to contend with. Those three showed no mercy in their hits but, the Mercs didn't give up so easy either. They rose to the challenge, especially Arock, and Jaing. Unfortunatly it seemed that even their powers combined would not be enough to carry the rest of the Mercs to victory.

Seiji assisted on another goal by Ariel, his pass somehow fiding the smallest gap between Mynus and Kol and threading the ball between them. The Mercs came roaring back after that goal and slammed into the young midfielders Natsu and Grey. The pink haired man picked off a pass and wasted no time rocketing into the Mercs' zone. The defense didn't seem to know what to do, how to answer a charge made by the sophomore player. This confusion gave him the path he needed to score another three points for the skull and bones. Logan snorted though his nose, amused by the exuberant display of the young man.

The goal more or less sealed the game. The Mercs never really had a chance to comeback. Not that Harron really thought they could, not with the way they were playing. He worried just a little, if this was the way the Mercs were going to play every game, they were going to be in trouble. Every year the fans of the Skywalker conference wanted the Smugglers, Mercs and Pirates to make the playoffs. Nothing against the Mariners or the Mets but, the dynamics between those three teams were legendary.

The slugfests of Pirate/Smuggler games, the tough energetic play of Mercs games. It was what people loved about this sport, or about Skywalker Limmie in general. Harron wanted it too, he wanted to see that happen to have the three best teams in the Skywalker to actually be the best in the standings. Hopefully the Mercs get sorted out. He'd like to face them in the playoffs. However that was a long way away, it was time to focus on the upcoming game against the Starkillers, and the sabbacc game back home.

TAG: Bardan_Jusik

12. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Sgt. Rax D’vja
    One Kilometer outside of Ryell, Rydonni Prime

Everyone had their own method of mentally preparing for an assault. For Rax it was taking a few minutes, after all his troops were in position, to meditate on the Force. Unlike the rest of his family, and the majority of citizen of Rydonni Prime, he did not believe in the Twelve. During his time in the service, he had the opportunity to come in contact with Jedi and other Force users. He was in awe of their focus and the peace they brought amongst the raging chaos of battle.

Rax’s platoon, even though most of them had not served with him for a long time, they knew that after they were in place, the sergeant would go comm silent to find himself in the Force. Reaching into his pocket Rax felt the small crystal disk at the end of the silver chain that was attached to his trousers. As he rubbed the medallion between his fingers Rax quietly said this prayer, “I am one with the Force, the Force is with me. The Force of others surrounds us and penetrates us. We are luminous beings, not this crude matter. The Force flows through the living and binds us to the ones who have become one with it. May the Force be with us all.”

Opening his eyes, Rax brought his comlink to his lips, “Alright, remember we are only probing the outer wall. If you find a weakness in their defense do not press forward, allow them to push you back so we don’t tip them off to the vulnerability. As soon as the bolo is kicked off, start your chronometers. Any questions? No? Good because you should of asked them at the briefing.”

4th Fleet Memorial Field at Monarchs Stadium

The Monarchs found themselves in an interesting position, they had a one point lead, 5-4, with less than a minute left before half time, over the C-Bucs. The newly reformed offense of the Monarchs had been turned away time after time. Each time they learned something new about the defense of the C-Bucs. Finally, through a combination of Gemma Sal-Solo’s power and Maggie Adams’ speed, they were able to sneak the bolo past Toma Artis, the C-Bucs’ Goalkeeper. Tandra Nalo was able to squash any hopes of a shutdown when she blasted the bolo past Corvo Antilles two minutes later.

Neither defense seemed to yield their side of the field. It was going to be a long tough match.

13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

I'm really loving this last week's posts! In fact, with Nar Shaddaa and Rydonni Prime back in the mix I thought of this:

More like a mission from the Force, but you know what I mean. ;)

Bonus rolls to Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime.

286 Week 2 Results
    Dac Mariners at Jakku Junkers (14-7)
    Denon Demons at Stewjon Metropolitans (13-7)
    Bakura Miners at Nar Shaddaa Smugglers (33-0)
    Mando’ade Mercs at Rydonni Prime Monarchs (35-32)
    Carratos Pirates at Ralltiir Starkillers (15-27)
    Coruscant Senators at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers (18-1)

TAG: Bardan_Jusik CPL_Macja galactic-vagabond422 jcgoble3 Jedi Gunny Runjedirun Vehn

Runjedirun, CPL_Macja and Vehn like this.
  14. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Concordia (28), Druckenwell (28), Atzerri (28), Tatooine (28) and Thyferra (28)

LFL Week 1 Results

Druckenwell Marksmen @ Atzerri Bandits (12-23)
    Thyferra Force @ Concordia Crusaders (17-18)
    Iego Angels @ Tatooine Sandskimmers (21-1)

Tags: Vehn galactic-vagabond422 Jedi Gunny Bardan_Jusik

Vehn likes this.
  15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Briar (Thorne) Adama
    Hapes Prime

In every facet of the game where things had gone horribly wrong for the Senators on Ralltiir, things were going much better on Hapes. After the lackluster performance in the season opener that had caused the coaches to change up their tactics to fire up the players, that work had paid off in the second game of the year. The Senators had shown up to play, obviously inspired again after having their backsides handed to them the prior week. Sometimes it required a hit or two to get into the game, players said; maybe it was true for an entire team as well. Take one hard loss, and use that as motivation to go forward so that the bitter taste of defeat would never be tasted again.

Where the offense had not been effective against the Starkillers, they had finally found some sense of rhythm. While it still seemed somewhat disjointed, the effort was back, and it showed on the field. Leia Adama scored two goals to lead the attack, her teammates keeping defenders off her back so that she could operate in space. The Starkillers had effectively boxed her in with their defensive scheme, so Gark S’rily and the offensive position coaches had drawn up a new gameplan to get their star forward in space. There was no way they would let themselves be burned twice by failing to adjust in-game. Bas Wren, while still exhibiting signs of inexperience, had her finest game thus far as a pro. She looked faster and more agile on her feet, displaying more heads-up playmaking ability than had been seen the prior week. Maybe it had taken her a week to see the speed of the Elite League game before she could get into the flow. Whatever the case, she scored a beautiful goal on a shot across the box in the second half, tallying her first career ELL points and goal in the process.

The defense, which had trouble stopping the Starkiller attack, came back with a vengeance. The gameplan to stop Tendra Nalo at all costs had worked like a charm, forcing the other forwards to try and make plays. Without the Merils to worry about, it had made the defensive plans much different than had the three brothers still been on the Hapes team. Add in several key saves by Michonne throughout the game, and it was an overall stifling performance.

As the seconds ticked down, the only question was if the Chiss goalie could complete the goal-less performance. She had yet to record one in her young career, one which started with an Ingbrand Award but had been pushed into the back seat for a year because of her loss in the positional battle with Jayla Leed. Leed had since retired, pushing the third-year goalie back into the starting role.

Finally the horn sounded, and Michonne thrust her arms into the air in celebration. She was quickly mobbed by her teammates for her achievement, the first shutdown of her career. Leed had recorded quite a few in her time with the Senators, so this event had happened in recent years, but it was still special. Shutting down an opposing team at this level was hard enough; keeping them from scoring a goal was even more difficult.

“Hard to believe that we got her in the third round,” Briar commented. “I’m sure a few teams are kicking themselves that they didn’t draft her.”

“She still has a long way to go,” Tela Loni, the head scout, said. “One shutdown does not make a complete season. Had she won the starting gig last year and done as well as Leed, then I would say you are right. But, for now, we should see how far she can go when she is the franchise goalie. Leed was still in that role during the rookie season, so expectations were lower. And don’t forget that most of her wins came in meaningless games after the team had dug itself into a large hole the first half of the season.”

“I understand that,” Briar said. “But this game proves that she has the capability to go out and dominate any given game. That’s the kind of franchise goaltender we need, and we still have a year left of team control on her to see how she does in this role. She is our best option going forward.”

“I know that’s why we didn’t take Blake, even though she could have been special as well,” Loni replied.

“No need to draft a replacement when we are trying to groom our franchise goaltender,” Briar reiterated. “She has had two years in the system, so it’s time for her to prove her worth.”

“Like Stargazer,” Loni said, referring to the Mercs’ goalie whom the Senators would see the next week in their home opener.

“It should be a good matchup,” Briar said. “Two young goaltenders with all sorts of potential. I think the fans will enjoy seeing that.”

“Not to mention that we finally get to go home.”

“That too.”

The defending champion Mercs were next up on the schedule. It would be a stiff challenge, to be sure, one that the Senators would have to meet head-on. It was games like that which would go a long way towards determining who was a contender and who was drifting into the middle-ground of the standings.

As for Briar, it also meant a return home for the next five weeks. The Senators had all of their home games in the middle of the season before returning to the road for the final four weeks. Both stretches would be critical in importance, and the team would be tested both mentally and physically. Such was life for a team looking to return to the playoffs and make a play for their first Cup in nearly 20 years.

Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009

IC: The Rancor Pitt

"LIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE! From downtown Keldabe, on a sunny but cool Victooooory afternooooon. Welcome on into the Rancor Pitt, here on your wave home of the defending Galactic Cup Champion Mando'ade Mercs. I'm Randy the Rancor, he's Justin Pitt. Liz Baker on the boards, with Kitterich on the other side of the glass and oh baby do we have a lot to talk about today."

"Lots of points, lots to talk about amirite?"

"That was an absolute shootout, but when you're facing a team like the Monarchs that's what you can expect, their offense is explosive."

"Yeah they are..."

"You must have hated it."

"Well, I do prefer a defensive struggle, and..."

"Not much defense played in this one!"

"No there..."

"By either side!"

"Are going to..."

"Interrupt everything you say?"

"Oh I see..."

"Yes, yes I am."

"You..."

"Yeah, I know."

"shab."

"OK, OK I'm done."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure."

"Can I talk about the game now?"

"Go ahead."

"Thank you."

"So, you were saying you like a defensive struggle."

"Yeah I do, I really do, but this game was so much..."

"Fun to watch?"

"Yes...shab it you're doing it again."

"Sorry, continue."

"The way the Monarchs jumped out to that early 4 point lead..."

"And then the Mercs went on their own run to bring it back 4-3."

"Yeah, of course then the Monarchs got out again and scored three of their own on..."

"Three straight bar points..."

"Before the Mercs went on their own five point run to tie it up..."

"The whole game was like that, a game of runs between both sides..."

"It seemed just when one of them was getting set to put things away and take over the game..."

"The other one put a stop to it and made a run of their own to keep things close."

"For awhile there I thought whoever ended up with the ball last was..."

"Going to win that game? Yeah I know, funny..."

"How it didn't work out like that, the Mercs last run put them..."

"Up by five..."

"And then the Monarchs stopped them cold and started making their own run..."

"Two quick bar points made it a three point game, they..."

"Just didn't have the time to finish off the run..."

"Another two minutes and that game would have been a loss for the Mercs..."

"Yeah, but another three would have probably put them right back on top again..."

"At least it's a win..."

"Gets the Mercs off the schneid and back..."

"To their winning ways...."

"Following the same script as last season where they lost an early in conference game..."

"Only to rebound the next week and get their first win..."

"That was a defensive match up played in terrible conditions though..."

"And against a conference foe which..."

"Which helped in the standings..."

"So while it's a similar script..."

"It's not exactly the same."

"Right. You know..."

"The Crusaders won a regular season game too..."

"Something they failed to do all of last season..."

"Even though they did go on to win..."

"That LFL title..."

"So they've got, what a..."

"Four game winning..."

"Streak, which seems to better than..."

"The amount of words I..."

"Or I..."

"Can string together..."

"Without getting...

"Interrupted." the two co-hosts said in unison.

"Oh this is going to be a..."

"Long show."

TAG: CPL_Macja

17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Mihal Ceallaigh
    Inky Raven pub, Salis D’aar, Bakura

“Because it's the Smugglers, I am okay with this,” Piper announced to everyone in the bar, “but only because it's the Smugglers.”

The game was on and the Miners were thrashing their way through Six Boroughs. What last week could be chalked up to a threepeat Galactic Cup Finalist playing a team that hadn't seen ELL action in a season was now looking more like really, really good limmie. The Smugglers had come loaded to bear this week--that much was clear from the way they came out of the tunnel. However, the field entry appeared to be the only thing that had gone right for them today.

The Miners were looking so good that Valerii, who usually rode her starters, had decided to give Stephana Adiims time at half back, relieving Falene Trieste. The owner/player was now the most senior defender on the team. While she still had a lot in her, it seemed Valerii had decided she’d asked enough from her quasi-boss for today. Furthermore, Valerii was rotating her half forwards, trying out combinations of Morgan Alesh, Darryl Dixun, and Quint, the flinty rookie from Chandrila A&M. Only one of the major reserves was still on the bench: Marnie Blake of Interstellar Cup fame. It was clear why Valerii was letting the third round pick cool her jets on the sidelines: Lizbit Comstock, who had not let a goal in during the opener, was working a you-know-what late into the game and Mihal certainly wasn’t going to be the one to say it out loud.

“Though,” Piper added, “I wouldn’t mind if they scored maybe just one point.”

“Ah, quiet you,” one of the patrons further down the bar said, even though her eyes were turned up towards the game.

“What? You want to see a shutout?” Piper asked sweetly.

This, for the fourth time today, got a chorus of shushes, hushes, reprimands, and curses directed Piper’s way.

“You are all extremely superstitious. Anyone ever tell you that?” Piper said as she deflected a damp, wadded-up cocktail napkin thrown at her from somewhere in the back of the bar.

“You don’t take chances with these things late in the game,” Artur said from two stools down from Mihal.

“But wouldn’t a shutout be bad? Wouldn’t it upset the Balance?” Piper said.

“So you’ve been reading up on the Cosmic Balance then, have you?” Mihal asked.

“I picked up the Gungan’s Guide to it after someone tried to give me a Fulcrum on the street last week,” Piper said.

“That’s appropriate. You and a Gungan probably have a lot in common intellectually,” someone called out.

Piper threw a towel in the comment’s general direction. “You ever meet a Gungan, buddy?” she challenged. “They are a damn sight smarter than you. After all, they only act dumb, like Jar Jar Binks in that play The Phantom of Menace. You, on the other hand, aren’t acting.”

That set the entire bar howling. Even though she was tragically misguided in her limmie loyalty, the bar’s patrons had come to appreciate the acerbic wit of their new bartender.

“Back to the important stuff: if the galaxy has to be in balance, then doesn’t the fact the Miners are running up the score mean they’re going to get beat down pretty harshly later, according to your philosophy?” Piper quizzed Mihal.

“The Balance is a bit more complicated than that. See, back in the Reformation, the hierophant considered the Balance. She thought deeply on it, meditated on it, and realized that the galaxy is a vast place. There is much good in it and much bad.”

“You mean evil,” Piper corrected.

“Beings can do bad things without being evil,” Mihal said. “In any event, the hierophant announced that the Balance held, but we had lost sight of its true meaning. You are familiar with Children of the Feather and Children of the Bowl?”

“I haven’t gotten that far.”

“Hey, Piper! Another beer!” someone called.

“Theology now, beer in a minute!” Piper shouted back before turning more calmly to Mihal. “Continue.”

“Well, the Rule of the Feather and the Bowl said that when you had two children close in age they underwent testing. The one deemed more promising was a Child of the Feather. Their education was supported in part by the Zanazi, the priests of the Balance. The other was declared a Child of the Bowl and sent to serve the Zanazi, sometimes begging on the streets to support the order.

“The hierophant declared that the Zanazi and the faithful had gone too far in seeking the Balance. We were attempting to create balance. This was wrong of us. Instead, there is so much bad in the galaxy that we should all strive to do good to achieve balance. Our own suffering was still reflected in good fortune somewhere else in the galaxy, so our burdens were not borne in vain--but we must not seek out pain or inflict it on others in the name of the Balance. Rather, let our actions balance the suffering of others. Let our part be compassion and kindness.

“And so the Rule of the Feather and the Bowl was abolished,” Mihal finished, “and we stopped trying to make Bakura balanced and instead made it as good as we could.”

“But if everyone believed in the Cosmic Balance, wouldn’t the galaxy be all good and out of balance?” Piper quizzed.

“Bad things still happen out of good actions,” Mihal said. “There will always be bad in the galaxy. Take a limmie game. It is always in balance.” He motioned to the game. “Every point the Miners score is a point allowed by the Smugglers. Everyone in that game has good intentions. Perhaps what the Miners are doing today is bad.”

“If this is bad, then sign me up for the First Order!” someone cackled in the bar, drawing laughs from the bar.

“Well that explains everything then,” Piper said. “You really are a bunch of neo-Imperials.”

“Here we go,” Artur groaned. “She’s going to throw Human High Culture at us.”

“Oh quiet,” Piper dismissed. “No, it’s all very clear: Quinn Cundertol must be a clone of the Emperor, Gaeriel Valerii is the second coming of Admiral Daala, and Alana Glencross is clearly the a descendant of the most notorious Emperor’s Hand ever, Mara Jade.”

“Ah she’s got us there,” Mihal admitted.

“You, of all people Mihal, are going to agree with her?” someone asked.

“Of course,” Mihal said. “Mara Jade’s descendants all flow through the Skywalker line, so she just said that Alana Glencross is one of the greatest Jedi of all time.”

The entire bar howled at that as Piper sighed. “Some days I really hate you all...but I also really love your tips, so laugh it up, fuzzballs.”

TAG: Vehn

Runjedirun, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Bak10 announces that Lakota Trukop of UB Telaan Valley has been suspended for upcoming game after late hit on Gaius Trieste of the Bakura Fleet Academy
      • Trukop was ejected from the game for targeting
      • In postgame comments, Trukop said, "I ain't apologizing for hitting a Sith"
    • Freshman Trieste was playing reserve minutes for Ensigns in game when he was blindsided by Trukop
    • Trieste walked off the field, but did not return to the game
      • Trieste is a descendant of Sith loyalists found on the planet Kitokaime
    • Kerry Trieste confirmed she recused herself from the decision and delegated final authority on the matter to the league's Vice Commissioner for Officiating
      • Gaius Trieste is her adopted grandson through her daughter, Falene, owner of the Miners
    • Another Kitokaime Sith, Elza Trieste (also an adopted child of Falene Trieste), is on the roster of the defending champion UB Salis D'aar Golden Bears, but has yet to play in a game
      • UBSD head coach Jon Draper: "I will play whoever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want without fear and any team that messes with my players will feel the wrath of the Force, so help me Yoda"
    TAG: None

19. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    OOC: Posting this today since I have a busy day tomorrow and I want to post it before I forget. :p

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"In the Bak 10, number three UB Salis D'aar loses to the now surprising 2-0 Ensigns of Bakura Fleet."

"Also in the Bak-10, UBTV makes up for their season opening loss with a big win over UBGC. 14-3"

"Over in the S-16 UCBV loses again falling to 0-2, this time with a 5-1 loss to Duro State."

"Universtiy of Tatooine , Anchorhead wins big for the second week in a row look for them to climb in the HSN rankings."

"And Balmorra State goes to 0-2 on the season after a 19-5 loss to University of Shili."

"I'm Ken Kitterich and this has been your five by five sports update. I'll be back with you next hour at five after the hour but until then more of the Rancor Pitt, right here on the Fandalorian!"

TAG: no one/everyone

HSN Top 25 rankings after Week Two

1. Coruscant Polytechnic Institute
    2. Chandrila A&M University
    3. Keldabe Military Institute (Mandalore)
    4. Vertical City University, Nar Shaddaa
    5. University of Tatooine, Anchorhead
    6. UB Salis D'aar
    7. Norand University, Carratos
    8. Druckenwell Technical University
    9. UB Telaan Valley
    10. University of Devaron
    11. University of Corellia, Bella Vistal
    12. University of Sanbra
    13. Ralltiir University
    14. University of Csilla
    15. University of Zeltros
    16. University of Agamar
    17. Imperial College of Bastion
    18. University of Onderon Rupings
    19. Wookiee Forrest Institute
    20. The Ord Sabaok University
    21. Concord War College
    22. Grand Vulptur System University
    23. College of Deredith &Millicent
    24. Cathar Technical College
    25. University of Kashyyyk

Runjedirun and Trieste like this.
  20. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Harron Myrat'ur
    Vane's Bar, O'pahz, Carratos

The lights were dim in the back room of Vane's, the little known hangout for the Howlrunners. It is also where they host a sabacc game. Harron was seated around a table with four other beings, another human with a cocky smirk on his face, a zabrak constantly looking at his cards, a cathar her eyes moving from player to player, and finally a quarren dealer handing out the cards so there were no accusations of cheating.

However this is Carratos, there's always cheating, particularly from the dealers, that's how the house wins. Tonight it seemed the house favored Harron, the only local playing. The others didn't want to use their real names choosing instead to use the cities they came from. The other human was Cambrielle, the zabrak called himself Cormond and the cathar was Hana City. One could tell from their attire that they were businessbeings, and well off if the fine materials used were anything to go by.

Harron didn't have the best hand, and the smirk on Cambrielle's face told him that his hand wasn't good enough to win this hand.

"Fold." The coach said tossing his hand away.

"Too rich for you local boy?" Cambrielle asked

"No, just a junk hand."

"Like that joke of a team on Jakku." The human commented. Harron's brow rose.

"Limmie fan?"

"Yeah, played when I was in school."

"Who you pull for."

Cambrielle gestured to his tie, a garish blue and orange, "Who do you think?"

The coach nodded his head, "They got a game coming up, against the Pirates, if you want to put some money down…"

"I already have a bet in with my bookie," the sabacc player cut him off, "'Killers all the way."

"Really, Pirates just stunned the two time champs."

"And the Starkillers crushed the Commissioner's trophy winners by nearly three times their score." Cormond and Hana City folded, leaving Harron's conversation partner to rake in his winnings, less than he would have if he could keep that smirk off his face. "As well, they drafted far better than the Pirates. I don't get that, why do you guys draft locals when they are clearly inferior."

Harron let out a huff. "Maybe only Carratosians can handle our style of play."

"If that were true you wouldn't have fallen to the Mariners in the Semis last year."

"Hey, everyone has trouble with that team."

"Hey," Cormond piped up, "it's to you." He gestured with his horns to Harron. He let out a breath, putting his sabacc face back on, though he resolved to bring the human down. No one bad mouths the Pirates and gets away with it. Though he though he saw the 'Guard' flinch. The Guard was of course a Howlrunner, he might do something to this poor man after the game.

Looking at his cards Harron knew he had a good chance of winning this hand. "Raise." He said with a quiet confidence.

"Call." Cambrielle said a twitch in his brow. The other two folded leaving only the Starkiller fan and the Pirates' assistant coach, not that any at the table knew.

"Raise," Harron said again, he was trying to fake his opponent out, make him think he was trying to bluff.

"Alright O'Pahz, call." He turned his hand over, Harron already knew he had him. It was in the way he showed his hand, a little hesitant. The local revealed his hand, just a little better than the tourist's. "Ah…I thought you were bluffing."

"That's the thing, Carratosians rarely buff." That was just the start, as the evening dragged on, Cambrielle slowly hemorrhaged his funds, until he was out. For the first time Harron smiled, he hadn't like the human and it brought him a little bit of joy seeing the cocky man fall.

One by one the others ran out of credits until Harron was the only one remaining, that's how most of these nights ended. At the end, Harron didn't really feel like he accomplished anything, well other than bringing down a guy that had insulated his team.

As he was leaving, handing over a portion of his winnings to the guard, house always gets its cut, the bulky bothan with a Howlrunner dyed into his fur put a hand on his shoulder.

"You looked a little bored, would you like more of a challenge?" Harron's ears perked up. "I thought so, we've got a game we run out of the Nassau. Less money but, tougher players, you can use what you win here to get you in there."

"Why you telling me this?"

"Because, you make me, and by extention, Raka, a good bit of money taking these chumps for everything they have. I think that deserves a little reward. Escpeally given your…" he had a little chuckle to himself, "Needs."

Harron froze, was he that obvious, or was he just known to the gambling circle as a degenerate. His stomach rose in his throat, a true challenge he could finally test himself against real players. And the guy was right, he had a fall back if he got too deep.

Though he couldn't say yes, deep in the back of his mind, he knew this was a bad idea, he could feel Lily's hand on his shoulder trying to pull him away. His feet remained unmoved.

"I'll think about it." he said finally walking out the door. He could feel himself pulled in two different directions. One back towards the guard, to say he'd changed his mind, that he would be there, the other out the door to never come back. Part of him knew that this was a terrible idea, that it would only end in tears.

His other side, couldn't stop thinking about it, couldn't help itself. It wanted to play to feel that rush again. He took a breath heading outside into the crisp spring air. He'd have a lot to think about.

____
    Financial Square Arena, Cambrielle, Ralltiir

Harron took a breath, his exhale visible in the cold air. The game was about to begin. He had to focus now, he had to be here, not back home, he had to leave his demons, well demon, there. The sharp twill of the ref's whistle brought him back to the real world, back to the present. The white streak of Cutty Sark dipped and threaded their way through the defense. Ariel, her brilliant hair simmering under the lights, kept pace with her front line partner. The second line, the L.E.S line, was close behind. This was the standard Pirates' starting gambit. Hit hard, hit fast, and be prepared to transition on a dime.

The first transition came fast, Cutty made a quick shot at the goal and had it rebuffed by Tuff. The offense dropped into the 'Iron Cage', taking a defensive formation. It slowed down the Starkillers a little, harried them as they carried the ball forward. Then the home team slammed into Dragonblaster. Sniider and Lawco had their work cut out for them dealing with the most energetic midfielders in the game. It seemed Natsu was all over never giving his mark any space. The Ingbrand winner managed to get possession but, before he could take off for the offensive zone, Erza's commanding voice roared for him to pass.

The pink haired middie tossed a pass forward to Seiji. The iktochi, juked and spun his way through the defense. With a flick of his wrist the ball flew from his hand, somehow curving around Wylla Sniider and ending up in the hands of Cutty. The half forward was taken down by the charging half back, but he went down with a smirk, he'd gotten the pass off after all. Cutty did what she did best blaze past the defense and hammer a shot past Tuff. One Eye, nodded his head, he liked how the game was starting. His offense that he had coached for years now was getting to work.

This momentum carried as Leigh picked off a pass and put another fast goal into the net. There was a reason she was the top scorer, she had a field sense like no one else on the team. She knew when to push, when to pull back, and most importantly, when to go for the interception. The offense tried to pin the Starkillers in their own zone again but, the home team broke out of the cage and brought down an attack that pushed all the way to the goal. A light tapping reached Harron's ears. It was Logan eyes locked on the defense, finger tapping on the arm of his hover chair.

He could see it, Harron could see it too. This drive was like a tidal wave, it wasn't going to be stopped. Despite the valiant efforts of the Bruising Beauties, the fan nickname for the half back line of Eponette "Ponie" Ternardiel, the team captain, Erza Scar'lett, the sophomore center that kept her midfield friends in line, and Mikia Sandin-Manx, the wife of the head coach, the Starkillers still bashed their way through. Bel was caught out of position leaving an opening for Andres Fortune to score the first goal for the Blue and Orange. A long sigh left Logan's chest, he felt the game starting to turn.

And turn it did, Sureysh put in another goal to tie up the game. The Pirates roared back, Seiji making another incredible pass to Ariel only to have the shot blocked by Tuff. The momentum was killed. Dunerider put a point over the bar soon after and soon the home team started to dictate the pace of the game. The moment that happened, it was bad news for the Pirates. They thrive on fast paced plays, and keeping the ball moving. The moment they lost control, and the game slows down, they're like a shark that isn't moving, dead.

The cold also didn't help, Limmie was a spring and summer sport on Carratos. The light dusting of snow on the ground surrounding the field gave evidence of the frigid conditions. The Pirates were tough, they could deal with the cold, but it seemed to be taking a little spring out of their step this game. Not that the weather was any excuse for sloppy play. This was still the same team that won the Skywalker Final in 283 on a cold day on Aphran. They could win, it would just be an uphill climb.

The half time break came and went, this was the time to take up the tempo, get the game back on the Pirates' frenetic level of play. However the opening gambit crumbled as Cutty was unable to get the first possession. Fortune took the ball and ran with it, his team following behind. A sloid thump sounded from next to the assistant coach. He looked to see Logan, his cybernetic eye somehow glowing brighter.

"Cut him down." The coach roared.

Bel the towering full back rushed forward shoulders lowered. Harron winced to see that. The defender was over committed to the tackle, if Andres took two steps to…And he did, the forward took two quick steps to the side and completely bypassed the charging player. After that, it was simple, Fortune did what he is paid a ridiculous amount to do, score.

Another three points went up on the board for the Starkillers and the game slipped further out of the Pirates' hands.

"Make it back," Logan shouted again. The team was at the point where he didn't really need to change the strategy they just needed to get back into their rhythm. A rhythm that he had difficultly finding again even after the last goal. Dragonblaster had issues resting control of the midfield from the Starkillers. It felt like the Pirates were stuck in mud, unable to get traction, to gain any momentum in this game. It looked about over for the team.

That was until Leigh scored her second goal. Grey finally broke through and still had the ball. He made a quick pass to the star forward, and everything else was automatic. Leigh charged toward the net breaking fast around Hervey. Tian covered her outside line keeping Leak off her back. It was a perfect Cavanaugh goal. Not just her alone but, helped by those around her. Now with some wind in them, and the 'Black Spot' cheering, Harron felt this was the last time they had to turn the game around. They were down by a few goals but they could make it back just as long as they could control the tempo.

They made a go of it, Seiji, picking off the throw in from Tuff and quickly passing off to Cutty. Well he tried to, Till, Noah, wise to the scheme brought the lightning fast forward down before she could get moving, forcing a fumble. Ariel fought for it but, Selex scooped it up before she could. The qurren passed up to Wylla Sniider but, Seiji was right there, crashing into her with a sort of desperation. The Pirates were struggling to get moving again, to keep up the pace they thrived upon. Else got possession and looked to put up a bar point.

At this point anything would be useful. The bolo-ball dropped from her hands then off her boot. She never saw Till flying in from the backfield. He leapt into the air knocking down what was sure to be bar point. Poletin was quick to come up and clear the ball out of the zone. This drive wasn't over yet, Erza surged forward taking McMee to the ground and forcing a fumble.

"Take it." She yelled to her friends in the midfield, Grey picked it up just barely getting it before, Lawco and turning away. With what looked like the last of his energy he made a long pass to Leigh. She just made it under the pass taking it and rushing the goal, trying to put the game back on their terms. With a stutter step she made it around the last defender and put a shot into the top of the net. Looking at the clock, there was just enough time to make a comeback, to make up for all the lost momentum.

The throw in went to the left side, Seiji once again tried to steal the pass but, Sniider was having none of it this time. She put her body in the way blocking off his path, and took firm possession, palming off the forward on her run to the midfield. Natsu stepped up to try and block it but the sisters Sniider had other plans executing a blind pass that left the normally quick midfielder flat-footed. After that, the game was sealed. The Starkillers continued to control the tempo, and the Pirates could do nothing about it. This would be their first loss of the season.

The after game festivities passed by in a haze and before Harron knew, he was on the shuttle heading back home his mind still turning over the deal the devil had given him.

TAG: Runjedirun

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  21. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

IC: Addison Karr
    Post Game

Tap!

Tap!

Tap!

Tap!

The water dripping from the shower faucet hit the floor with deadly rhythm. It was the only sound heard in the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers locker room as the team reflected on what exactly had gone wrong against Bakura. The only conclusion, the only one that could be reached, was that everything had gone wrong today.

"We're going to regroup. We're going to climb out of this hole. We're going to go to Denon, go to Stewjon, go to Jakku, and kick the crap out of the teams who have no right belonging in the Elite League. What happened out there, it's sickening. You're professional players. You made Bakura look like Galactic Champions. We are six years in the hole this year. Six years since we last defeated the Miners. I don't even know where to begin," Mylessa McCloud said as she tore up her game plan.

Nobody said a word. The mood was grim. The Smugglers were sitting at 0-2. They were in the basement of the Skywalker. Fortunately, they had an easy schedule coming up against equally dismal teams. That didn't guarantee a victory. Nothing did. All Addison Karr knew was that something had to change. Something had to give.

The players filed out of the locker room. The stench of defeat and disgust lingering in the air. Addison pulled Mylessa aside and said, "I want you to change the game plan."

"Our arrangement, Addison, was that I coach the team and you provide me with the players," Mylessa testily replied.

"You have everything you need to make a run with this roster. We've got Reaver, Lerouex, Wiles, Ripley, some key players out there that are not performing to their potential. Tap into that potential and you'll win," Addison replied.

"Stay out of my business," Mylessa growled, "it wasn't my decision to pass on the draft this year. That was yours. Look where that's got us. 0-2 and the laughing stock of the Skywalker."

"This team doesn't need the draft," Addison fired back, "they need a leader. Either you lead, Mylessa, or Vera may have to consider making a change."

"You threatening me? You don't have the authority to remove me from my position. Don't tell me how to coach!" Mylessa said raising her voice.

"I'm not telling you how to do your job," Addison said, "I'm telling you that Vera is expecting both of us to deliver a championship. If one of us goes down, we both go down. We either work together or we lose our jobs together."

Mylessa bit her lip. Addison had a point. She wasn't the problem. The problem was the players. They weren't buying in to the system this year. Something was off. Something was the matter.

"I want you at our next team meeting. I want you to tell me who is paying attention and who isn't," Mylessa requested, "because I think we need a change."

"I couldn't agree more," Addison said.

Tag: No One

Runjedirun, jcgoble3 and Trieste like this.
  22. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Richard Vigo

I had trouble keeping track of the game action. Each time Tuff blocked a goal or Sniider made a hard stop T.J. would stand up and cheer. Not many kids worshiped their father as much as T.J. Ty had a special relationship with all three of his children. Ezra was a quiet intelligent child. One Ty probably didn’t fully understand. Ty found ways to relate to his son. He’d have Ezra study Limmie plays and Ezra could predict what player in a certain offense or defense would get the ball watching game tape. He seemed to recognize the behavior patterns of beings. A surprising accomplishment for an adult, Ezra would be 6 next month.

Cammie was a tomboy one minute and a princess the next. We hadn’t figured her out yet. Ty showered her with love. Sometimes he put flowers in hair and sometimes he taught her bolo ball lessons in the back yard. Most notably none of Ty’s kids played organized ball. I wasn’t thinking about that today. I was thinking about these kids losing the man that meant so much. Possibly before they all graduated from high school.

Every once in a while a play would wake me from my trance. Leigh had undeniable talent. The Starkillers were lucky more Pirates weren’t playing with her ferocity today. Or maybe they were, maybe the Starkillers had finally turned a corner. Maybe this was their season. Maybe we would break through and find our way back to the play-offs. Normally these thoughts would be a cause for celebration.

Andres wasn’t letting his old body slow him down. I was impressed with his swiftness of play, always accurate passes and unforgiving goals. The best moments were when Olidiipo got the ball. He was showing improvement over just last week. His thin body allowed him to slip past tackles. He scored one goal just before half time. Jimsey celebrated by drinking an entire can of fizz without stopping to take a breath. Not too hard for someone with multiple mouths but still impressive.

Instead of scolding him for dripping the fizz on the furniture upholstery I laughed out loud and handed him a napkin to get the excess off his chin. The Pirates made a short run in the second half. Giving them a chance to get back into the game, until the Starkillers made a few adjustments and found their own momentum again.

“What’s eating you?” Ryan asked as I warmed up the speeder after the game.

“Nothing,” I trailed.

“Excuse me?” Ryan asked angrily. “You do not expect me to believe that. Your team is off to a two and oh start. You should be ecstatic, the look on your face,” he paused. “It looks like someone died Rich.”

“Let’s discuss this when we get home,” I suggested motioning my head towards the back seat.

Ryan and I sat up late at the kitchen table sipping caf. “There’s bound to be a specialist in this galaxy who can help,” I said in summation. I was definitely trying to convince myself more than anything.

“You care a lot about this,” Ryan observed.

“Ty’s kids are my nephews and niece. He’s married to my sister. My father purchased the business that is responsible for what could be his early death. I own that business now,” I said putting my head in my hands.

“Hey, your dad knew the dangers of playing Limmie. If I remember correctly he limped around cause he blew his knee out playing the sport. Isn’t that why there’s a pool in this house? So he could exercise?” Ryan reminded me.

“There’s a big difference between a knee injury and what Ty has,” I explained. “Do you think my father knew?” I hoped he didn’t know. Would he have purchases the team? Would he have passed this liability on to me knowingly?

“Why don’t we go to bed?” Ryan offered. “You can’t solve this problem tonight.”

The next evening I rushed in the door just minutes before dinner. Ryan was chasing Shannon around the living room trying to fasten a bib around her neck. I jogged up the steps to change into something more comfortable. I could hear the booming of Jimsey’s holo game. After changing my clothes I popped my head in and asked him to come down for dinner. “Is your homework done?” I asked as we made our way to the table.

“Most of it,” he answered.

I reminded him that he wasn’t supposed to play holo games until all his homework was done. Jimsey ate about ten bites of food before asking to be excused. “We eat as a family,” I reminded him. “Tell me what you’re learning about in science.”

“Dad I need to get back to my game. My new friend and I found a secret portal.”

“Wait a minute,” I interrupted. “Did we say he could meet online friends?” I said turning to Ryan.

Ryan shrugged. The next thing I knew I was explaining to Jimsey that you never give away your true identity and you never tell anyone where you’re from and never offer to meet anyone in person ever, anywhere.

“Gosh,” Ryan mumbled.

I realized my lecture was probably getting long. “You can be excused,” I told Jimsey.

“Yes!”

“But no more holo games tonight. I want your homework done. Take a bath, do some reading, work on your artwork, use the gym,” I offered.

“Fine,” Jimsey said as he pushed his chair back and stormed up the stairs.

“I don’t like his attitude,” I said to no one in particular. I had a busy night planned myself. I went to my office and pulled up studies on brain injuries. There were articles of men and women who went sithspit crazy. Some blew their own brains out. Others couldn’t remember their own names. I couldn’t take it anymore. I started watching old clips of Ty’s play. I watched play after play of his head banging into the turf, into the heads of other beings, into shoulders, and most disturbingly off goal posts. Then there was all the times Ty purposely jumped in the air and used his head to stop the ball or propel it forward with a swift motion of his neck. There were so many times it took him a while to get up and never did anyone suggest he leave a game. Commentators and audiences alike would cheer when he shook it off and got back in the game. Often to take another blow just minutes later. I couldn’t watch anymore. I shut down the data pad and made my way upstairs. Only to find Jimsey in the holo game room.

I burst into the holo game room. “I told you no more games tonight,” I said angrily. I grabbed a remote device and shut the game off.

“Hey, you can’t do that!”

“The Hell I can’t. You were supposed to finish your homework. Is your homework done? You better hope so. Have you taken a bath? No your clothes are still on. Get out of here! Go to your room! I don’t want to see your face for the rest of the night!”

“I hate you!” Jimsey ran down the hall and slammed his door shut. I ran after him. No way he was going to slam a door on me. Ryan came out to stop me.

“Rich,” he said calmly. “You’re upset. Don’t take it out on Jimsey.”

“I don’t want him to get away with slamming doors,” I said still frustrated.

“I’ll talk to him at breakfast. Let him calm down. You come to bed,” Ryan offered.

Ryan is a good husband. He listened to my concerns for Ty. My concerns about Tomas. My concerns about my employees…my Limmie team. The next morning I called an emergency meeting with my coaching staff. Ty was initially uncomfortable. He hadn’t shared this secret with many. Once he found out that I wanted suggestions to make play safer Ty was on board. Dash was more hesitant. “How do we coach to play aggressive if we make players afraid to get injured?” Dash wanted to know.

“It’s instinct to be afraid of pain,” I offered. “These beings put their bodies on the line, it’s part of their job description. I know we are going to continue to see injuries. I’m just suggesting maybe we teach to tackle with our shoulders or reach up and bat the ball with a fist instead of a forehead.”

“This isn’t going to be easy,” Dash complained. “You expect me to re-teach the game after two wins. When you’re winning you don’t change your strategy.”

“When someone’s life depends on you making a change, you make a change.” I said forcefully.

I dismissed the meeting. Ty remained at the table sipping his fizz. “Thanks,” he said. “You’re the first boss I ever had that actually cares.”

“I care a lot,” I looked Ty in the eyes. “Do you think I should pull Tomas out of Limmie?”

“Definitely not,” Ty said quickly.

“Why not?” I asked curiously.

“First of all Tomas plays midfield. A lot less dangerous position. Second he loves the game. It’s his livelihood, third he’s going to win you a championship…maybe multiple championships.”

“Did you see that Trieste kid get his head bashed in last week?” I asked incredulously. “And that was after the whistle blew. How can I allow my little brother participate in this sport.”

“It’s more than Limmie on Bakura,” Ty explained. “It’s personal. Falene has adopted kids who are Sith descendants. Not everyone on Bakura is welcoming of them. It’s like when you tried sending Jimsey to the snobby academy. I bet he’s fitting in much better across town.”

Leave it to Ty to bring up a sore spot. I let it fall off my shoulders. I didn’t have a choice. “You go Coach the defense,” I encouraged. “We have a game against Hapes coming up and while I’d like to see it played safely I’d still enjoy seeing us win.”

Ty pulled back his chair. “I’ll see what I can do,” he said. “You should talk to Tomas. Make sure he knows the dangers. I can talk to him if you’d like. I don’t want to be some spokesperson for this cause. But I did teach Tomas to play. I owe it to him to warn him.”

Ty did speak to Tomas. I was worried about how Tomas would react. I tuned in to watch the UTA game with great caution. I was prepared to see Tomas steer clear of an important tackle or just somehow not be the aggressive player I knew. I was wrong. Tomas tore up the turf. UTA got another big win. Jimsey sat in a chair and watched with me. “Tomas is my hero,” Jimsey said.

“I thought Olidiipo was your hero,” I said.

“Well he is. Tomas is my human hero. Tomas’ teammates are almost all alien and he treats them like brothers. See him hugging that Twi’lek on the sideline,” Jimsey said pointing.

The female Twi’lek looked like she was enjoying that hug a little too much. “Come on,” I said as I got up and gave Jimsey a pat on the knee cap. “Let’s get to bed. Starkillers play Hapes early in the morning our time. You gonna watch with me?”

“You think Daddy Ryan will make us pancakes?”

“If you ask him nicely.”

Tags: galactic-vagabond422 Trieste jcgoble3

23. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    IC: Sgt. Rax D’vja
    Two Hundred Kilometer outside of Ryell, Rydonni Prime

The probing mission was a success, but at the same time it was a failure. They were able to find a few proverbial cracks in the city defenses, but those cracks could not be exploited with their current man-power and resources. Due to this Rax had been called back to the R.A.I.D. central command post. In one of the few strips of planet that had been untouched by the wars there stood a farm house. Utilizing a series of underground tunnels.

The R.A.I.D. CP was only accessible from the farm itself through one door within the main house. The main hub of activity was several kilometers below the sunken house. The droids on the Farm had been given duel programming, they would still function as farmhands and maintenance workers, but beneath those façades they would also act as perimeter defense and sentries.

Within the CP stood the four platoon leaders of Rax’s company which surrounded Ryell, the four platoon leaders of the company which surrounded Rythani City, and each companies’ commanders. Captains Dougant and Grekie were situated on either side of Commander Namaryne, who was leading the briefing.

“Gentlemen,” she started, “congratulations on the successful completions of your respective missions last week. The intel you gathered will be invaluable to our efforts going forward. Once again we will utilize the spectacle of a Monarchs’ home game to cover our activities. Due north of your areas of operation, there is an abandoned walker factory. The Governor-General has left it woefully defended and we are in desperate need of some heavy armor.”

The Commander motioned to the holotable and the tactical layout sprung to life. “This will be a joint operation under the command of Captain Grekie. Each platoon will supply one squadron of troops, a medic from each of the odd numbered platoons, and a mechanic from each of the even numbered platoons. Captain Dougant’s squadrons will lead the assault. Once the entrance has been breached and the walkers secured, you will fall back to muster point Avalanche. Any questions?” Each platoon leader answered in the negative before she continued, “Very well then. May the Force be with us.”

Rax started to walk away when he was abruptly called back to the table by Cpt. Dougant. “Sgt D’vja, we have an additional mission for your platoon. We need for you to select one team from your remaining two squadrons to escort a special team into the capital.”

“You want me to smuggle…”

“No, eascort…” Dougant corrected him

“…escort a team, using one of my own teams as cover, into the most heavily guarded city on the planet?”

“Correct.” Com Namaryne answered.

“Well then, can I at least meet this team I’m risking my life to get into the capital?”

Dougant looked over at the Commander who gave a simple nod. The Captain tapped a few buttons on his data pad and a young female lieutenant slinked out of the shadows followed by three young males. “Sergeant, allow me to introduce you to Rascal Team. Who needs to up their game this time around.”

Certainly it seemed that R.A.I.D. had opted to go with an all out offensive.

Vehn, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Bonus potential for Bakura, Carratos, Coruscant, Mando'ade, Nar Shaddaa, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime on this objective superb game day. ;)

286 Week 3 Results
    Nar Shaddaa Smugglers at Denon Demons (23-13)
    Stewjon Metropolitans at Jakku Junkers (22-5)
    Dac Mariners at Bakura Miners (22-20)
    Mando’ade Mercs at Coruscant Senators (34-4)
    Rydonni Prime Monarchs at Carratos Pirates (39-12)
    Ralltiir Starkillers at Hapes Consortium Buccaneers (18-8)

Vehn likes this.
  25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Concordia (30), Druckenwell (28), Atzerri (28), Tatooine (28) and Thyferra (28)

Week 2 Results
    Druckenwell Marksmen @ Thyferra Force (9-19)
    Iego Angels @ Atzerri Bandits (10-7)
    Tatooine Sandskimmers @ Concordia Crusaders (11-15)

Tags! Vehn Jedi Gunny galactic-vagabond422 Bardan_Jusik

Vehn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.