main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Elite League Limmie

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Trieste, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Bonus Potential for Druckenwell (28) Thyferra (28) and Tatooine (30)

LFL Semifinals
    (4) Thyferra Force @ (2) Tatooine Sandskimmers (28-6)
    (6) Atzerri Bandits @ (1) Druckenwell Marksmen (22-16)

Futures Cup Finals
    The Pond, Theed, Naboo
    (6) Atzerri Bandits vs (4) Thyferra Force

Tags @Jedi Gunny @galactic-vagabond422 @Vehn

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Boutros Sabah, Brian Ebeling, and Samia Dantas have chosen to retire from the sport of Limmie
      • In a statement the players said it was time. They have been playing for over a decade now and wanted to leave the sport they love on their own terms
      • With their departure Qazi Hameedduden, Leigh Cavanagh, Else Reppen, and Seiji Tan are the only remaining players from Carratos's debut team in 278
    • Boutros Sabah was been hired by the Pirates Organization as Defensive Coordinator.
      • When asked about the hiring Logan 'One Eye' Manx-Sandin said: "Finally, our defense has consistently been a weak point for us. Having someone the team knows and trusts, and is experienced with the position should help greatly. And give me some days off"
    • Scott "Brick Wall" Sterling (Human, Male, Goalkeeper) has been released to free agency
    TAG: @galactic-vagabond422

Vehn and galactic-vagabond422 like this.
  3. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• HSN releases final draft rankings
    • Rankings include several familiar names
      • Abigail Ripley (younger sister of ELL player Helen Ripley)
      • Gaius & Elza Trieste (adopted children of former ELL player/owner Falene Trieste)
      • Aurora Windreaver (younger sister of ELL player Erin Windreaver)
    • Carratos Pirates will have the first overall draft pick in 290
    HSN Final Rankings
    Goalkeepers
    1. Nataya Vance (Human, Female, Goalkeeper, Coruscant Polytechnic Institute)
    2. Darlene Aaawokha (Wookiee, Female, Goal Keeper, Gargarrump University [ Kashyyyk])
    3. Fam Keth (Bothan, Male, Goalkeeper, GVSU)
    4. Danne Bogun (Human, Male, Goalkeeper, University of Procopia, Estalle Island)
    Defenders
    1. Krabbas (Rodian, Male, Defensive Back, Republican University)
    2. Walter Tundarys (Human, Male, Full Back, DTU)
    3. Wally Buchanan (Balosar, Male, Half Back, University of Carratos)
    4. Luba Tran (Iktochi, Male, Corner Back, University of the Northern Industrial District)
    5. Jerr Tatheny (Togruta, Female, Defensive Back, University of Zeltros)
    6. Abigail Ripley (Human, Female, Half Back, VCU)
    7. Cora Inthet (Human, Female, Defensive Back, Mimban A&M University)
    8. Gaius Trieste (Human, Male, Defender, Bakura Fleet Academy)
    9. Ausiv Itith (Human, Male, Defensive Back, Coronet University)
    10. Simon Salahi (Human, Male, Back, B'Arton LC)
    Midfielders
    1. Ruunrha (Wookiee, Female, Full Back, University of Trandosha)
    2. Aurora Windreaver (Human, Female, Midfielder, VCU)
    3. Bosewick Tachalla (Human, Male, Midfielder, University of Ralltiir)
    4. Liz Hasselbeckski (Human, Female, Midfielder, The Ord Sabaok University)
    5. Tonya Wess (Twi'lek, Female, Midfielder, The Ord Sabaok University)
    Forwards
    1. DeeJay Jcamlio (Rodian, Male, Corner Forward, University of Tatooine, Anchorhead)
    2. Goobal (Duros, Male, Half Forward, University of Coruscant)
    3. Verral 'Angel' Sorano (Nelvaanian, Female, Forward, University of Grianaig
    4. Elza Trieste (Human, Male, Forward, UB Salis D'aar)
    5. Becky George (Human, Female, Half Forward, University of Ralltiir)
    6. Colby Donsun (Human, Male, Forward, Taanab A&M University)
    7. Oshi Merk'ava (Human, Male, Full Forward, DTU)
    8. Peter Tenaada (Human, Male, Forward, DTU)
    9. Leopard Jackson (Human, Male, Forward, VCU)
    10. Klyn Doim (Trandoshan, Male, Center Half Forward, University of Kashyyyk)
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

jcgoble3, Vehn, Jedi Gunny and 2 others like this.
  4. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• ELL season awards handed out on Naboo in advance of LFL & ELL Finals
    • Shady Lerouex (NS) caps career with Salbukk and Vigo Awards, recognizing the league's most valuable player and perseverance and dedication to limmie, respectively
    • Harle Quinn (BAK) brings home the Miners' first Ingbrand Award since 275
    • Dawn Solo (RP) brings home top coach honors with a Langann Award in her first year as head coach
    • Aebett Zargana (EUC) honored with Grames Award as best GM
    • Christine Gamble (COR) recognized with Duchess Eldin Award for sportsmanship and athletic achievement in her final ELL season
    • Maggie Adams (RP) wins first Nalo Award for comeback player of the year
    TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Runjedirun @SWNerd11 @Vehn

Bardan_Jusik, jcgoble3, Vehn and 3 others like this.
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    College Award Winners

Ruy Gey Award for Best Goalkeeper:
    Danne Bogun (Human, Male, Goalkeeper, University of Procopia, Estalle Island)

Grazo Award for Best Corner or Full Back:
    Jerr Tatheny (Togruta, Female, Defensive Back, University of Zeltros)

Outlandi Award for Best Interior Defender:
    Simon Salahi (Human, Male, Back, B'Arton LC)

Batkis Award for Best Midfielder:
    Aurora Windreaver (Human, Female, Midfielder, VCU)

Bulitnekoff Award for Best Corner or Full Forward:
    DeeJay Jcamlio (Rodian, Male, Corner Forward, University of Tatooine, Anchorhead)

Lombardee Award for Best Interior Forward:
    Leopard Jackson (Human, Male, Forward, VCU)

Myxwell Award for Best Offensive Player:
    Goobal (Duros, Male, Half Forward, University of Coruscant)

Remmiton Award for Best Defensive Player:
    Krabbas (Rodian, Male, Defensive Back, Republican University)

Helmsman Finalists:
    Elza Trieste (Human, Male, Forward, UB Salis D'aar)
    Ruunrha (Wookiee, Female, Full Back, University of Trandosha)
    Krabbas (Rodian, Male, Defensive Back, Republican University)
    DeeJay Jcamlio (Rodian, Male, Corner Forward, University of Tatooine, Anchorhead)
    Leopard Jackson (Human, Male, Forward, VCU)

Helmsman Winner:

TAG: Everyone

6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Harle Quinn
    The Grande Villa, Ryell, Rydonni Prime

In a way, it all started here.

Well, not here here. Geographically, it started on Bakura. But the game was against the Monarchs, so it kind of started here. You know what I mean? (Of course I do. I make perfect sense all the time.) That was when I punched Elsa Sarnac in the face. Maybe my life would be different if I hadn’t done that. Maybe we would have never made the playoffs. Maybe I would have never thought of taking a stand for non-human dignity and rights.

But here (get it?!) we are, so I guess I’d better get on with it.

And “it” is punching Ryan Barlen in the face. (Not fast enough to see that one coming, eh speedster?)

And “it” is also Elsa Sarnac subtly blindsiding me in return. I think I fly into the next postal code before I hit the ground. But it’s the Solo Conference Championship and when it comes to making it to the Final, anything goes. Nobody gets mad--we just get even. (Though I think it would be more fun to get odd. Why isn’t that a saying galaxy?!)

Unlike last week, it’s clear that we are firing on all thrusters from the get-go. Irvin is still a force behind me, but this week I’m in the flow too. Not much that we’re trying isn’t working. The Monarchs had a week off, but I don’t buy into the theory that makes a team sluggish. No, they had time to get healthy, to sort their game out. They have home field advantage. Yeah, we smacked them down in Week 3, but you know they watched that tape all week long. They probably got mad about it. (I would have. Honestly, I don’t think mad is as bad as beings say it is.) That’s clear from the way they’re hitting--especially me. It’s like somebody stuck a “tackle me” sign on the back of my jersey. (I mean, it would be a pretty hilarious rookie prank.)

But the best revenge is to put the boloball in the back of the net--and I do. I pay for every goal with a hard hit (sometimes in advance!) but I will take that trade every single time. Every time.

And then the unthinkable happens. Draper pulls me.

I’m in disbelief, but I head to the sidelines. Of course he pulls me. I’ve only put in two goals today. The way we’re going today I should have four goals. Stupid, stupid Harle. This is the playoffs. I should bury these Monarchs, show them who really wears the crown. Draper has every right to pull me.

I’m about three meters from the sidelines when I see Draper applauding. As I trot past him, he slaps me on the back. “Good game,” he says, before returning his attention to the field.

Now I get it. He’s not pulling me because he’s unhappy with me. He’s pulling me because he wants to save me. I am too valuable to leave in a game like this. Do you get that? Do you know who else gets pulled before the end of a game? Stars. That’s who. I am a rookie and I am already worth that much to my coach in the playoffs.

I pull a windbreaker on and have to dab my eyes with a towel, but there’s a huge grin on my face as I do. These are not tears of sadness. They are tears of relief, of joy.

They are tears of arrival.

:bb8::bb8::bb8:

Theed, Naboo

I fidget nervously in my seat. I’m the only Miner here tonight (well, in this theatre at least, seeing as everyone is on Naboo for the Final), the only one to be nominated for a season award, the Ingbrand Award. Do you know who never got nominated for an Ingbrand? Alana Freaking Glencross. (A lot of beings don’t know that, but that’s her middle name.) By the transitive property, I am more awesome than Alana Glencross. (I paid attention in math, thanks very much!)

My stomach is churning inside me as they read the other nominees. There’s Tomas Vigo, who made me eat turf in my second game. Midfield is considered a much more difficult position to play than forward. Even though Vigo didn’t reach the playoffs, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t stand a shot at the award. There’s Devanti Parkwaad of the Mercs who...well actually I’m not sure what he did when we played Mando’ade, but I’m like 83% sure I punched him in the face at some point. (And remember, I’m good at math so that’s a reliable statistic!) He’s a full forward behind Fu Arock, so he’s got to be a stud if he got nominated for rookie of the year as a reserve behind one of this era’s dominant players.

Basically, even though I’m about to play in the Galactic Cup of Freaking Limmie Final (also part of the name that most beings don’t know about), I am not at all confident I’m going to win this award.

“And the winner is…”

My chest gets tight. This is what a heart attack feels like. I’m having a heart attack. I’ve never known anyone who had a heart attack, but this has to be what one feels like. I’m going to die right now and I’ll never have played in the Galactic Cup Final. I’m too young to die, Maker!

“...Harle Quinn of the Bakura Miners!”

I jump out of my seat with my hands over my mouth in shock. (They like me! They really like me!) I walk up to the stage and receive the Ingbrand Award. Tonight I’m not wearing my black and white makeup. It’s not like I have an alternate ego that I take on whenever I’m doing limmie things. (That would be insane. Literally, clinically insane. I can’t imagine any ELL player could actually get through that kind of a situation. Definitely not one playing in this day and age. And I was a Psychology major, so I know what I’m talking about.) No, I’m all right with my regular pink skin and purple hair tonight. Maybe it is a little stereotypical for me to be looking gorgeous tonight, playing into Human opinions of Zeltrons, but I’d be damned if I didn’t shine tonight.

“Wow, wow, wow,” I say, looking out at the crowd. It’s big. Like super big. “So, the last time I won anything was in seventh grade when my science teacher gave me the Standout Star Award. I think it was for being most improved that year, because I was not very good at chemistry. No joke, I still have it framed on my wall to this day. I’m just trying to figure out how I can frame this…” I appraise the award (which I’ll have to return to the ELL at the start of the following season anyways) critically to audience amusement.

“I mean, obviously there are a lot of beings I have to thank. Most of them aren’t here--except my parents and my girlfriend Pam. They’re very private beings who don’t like the spotlight, so of course I want everyone to turn and look at them over there.” I point to my right. “Hi Mom! Hi Dad! Hi Pammy!”

[​IMG]

“But someone once told me that when you win an award, you should say something important, so I will. We all matter. I don’t care what species, sex, or age you are. You matter. You matter to me and I will never look at this award without thinking of all of you. Believe that, every single day. Thank you.”

I kiss my my free hand and then extend it to the crowd.

At the end of the night, the euphoria hasn’t worn off, but something niggles at the back of my brain. Only one being wins two awards tonight, despite several having multiple nominations and a shot to do so. Who is that being?

Shady Lerouex.

It’s going to be an interesting Galactic Cup Final, I just know it.

TAG: @SWNerd11 (who approved game action) and @Vehn

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Runjedirun, Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

"Hi I'm Ken Kitterich with your five by five sports update brought to you by Merr-Sonn, Fill you enemies with primal fear, fill their lungs with fire, Merr-Sonn."

"The Skimmer Ade Bowl was for all the marbles last night, and those marbles were contested between two Super 16 teams in The Ord Sabaok University and University of Kuat in a match we nearly saw in the S16 title game oh those many weeks ago."

"GVSU ruined that by beating the Bucks in the regular season finale, and then Kuat ruined GVSU's post season seed by beating them in the S16 Championship game and now it comes full circle as the StarBucks of tOSU beat UK 29-14..."

"Which explains where Justin is."

"Yeah, not here!"

"Liz Hasselbeckski was again the star, leading her StarBucks to their first galactic championship in the playoff age..."

"Did he even call?"

"I don't think he had the capacity right now."

"In their first season with famed former KMI coach Ur'ban Me'yer at the helm..."

"Justin isn't ever coming back to work is he?"

"Not sober anyway."

TAG: no one/everyone

Congrats to The Ord Sabaok University, your 289 GCAA Limmie Champions!

8. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Shady Lerouex
    Eusebus, Euceron
    Smugglers 40, Officers 21

Shady admired her tenacity. Her grit. Her steely determination to not let the final score be the legacy of the game. Her name was Tendra Nalo and she single handedly was willing the Euceron Officers back into the game.

Shady watched as Nalo put the Officers point total up to 21. Ripley had been caught flat footed on that last series. The second half was well underway as the ball was funneled through the commanding midfield hands of Erin Windreaver and to Martia Paak who had been absolutely lighting the day up.

Shady ran her route, setup the pick, and created a path for Martia Paak and Niall Rian to add to the Smugglers gargantuan lead. Shady had decided that after last week's personal scoring record in the playoffs she ought to lay low. The Officers had planned for her this game and largely shut her down.

Rian juked an Officer defender and ran up the score to 41 points total. The crowd booed. They didn't like unsportsmanlike play like that. Shady waved it off as the buzzer sounded. Game over.

She made her way to midfield and conducted the obligatory handshake with the Euceron squad. They'd fought hard all season, they were the Commissioner Trophy winners, after all. And, Shady remembered, they had cleaned the Smugglers clock during their regular season match earlier in the year.

Shady drew Tendra in for a fierce hug. It was the last time the two of them were going to play one another for a game that mattered. She whispered in Tendra's ear, "Next year is yours. Hell of a game you played today. Hell of a game."

Tendra returned the hug. "Thank you. You did even better. Now go out on top next week so I can say we were beaten by the best."

And then they parted and just like that Shady Lerouex drew another curtain on another game.

This time, however, she was heading back to the Final. She was 0-2 this decade having lost to Rallitir in 282 and Bakura in 287. Now she was heading back to play the Miners for the very last game of her career. The team that could have drafted her back in '75 was going to see something they'd never experienced before: vengeance.

The Pond, Theed
    133rd Galactic Cup Final
    Nar Shaddaa vs. Bakura

"Anyone else have anything to add before we wrap up?" Head Coach Mylessa McCloud asked the locker room.

Shady tentatively raised a hand.

"You have the floor, Lerouex," McCloud said.

Shady gingerly stood on her battered right knee, in full kit, and looked her teammates in the eye. Everyone in the room silently waited for Shady to speak. She had their attention, she had their respect. She had made it this far after a killer season that had brought her up against the record books.

"My name is Shady Lerouex. I was born on Nar Shaddaa, spent my formative years on Bakura, and since entering the league I have striven to be the dirtiest player there ever was. I've drawn more flags, more penalties, and more fines than anyone else in my 14 year playing career. I don't regret a single thing I've done. You can't live life looking backward but it seems that's all I've been doing this year as my retirement comes upon me.

"I am 36 years old, I'm ancient by most standards in this sport. The pundits all said I have been enjoying a career year. I guess I have. I never checked. This year wouldn't have been possible without all of you. Without you, I wouldn't be here. Without you I wouldn't be looking at another shot at winning the Galactic Cup. I've brought the Cup home to Nar Shaddaa twice in my career, I've failed another three times, and with this being my last ride, my last shot, I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for sticking by me. For supporting me. For believing that I could still make a difference on that pitch.

"I'm not as fast as I once was. I'll admit that some days it kills me to be out there in this physical sport. I've got a tingling in my right leg that won't go away. I've got a bad knee. My body is wearing down. I won't lie, I can feel the end coming. People ask me what I want more than anything. Right now, all I want is to go out there and win one more for Nar Shaddaa. For the city that inspires my heart to do great things. For those children in the Valor Foundation who look up at us as the heroes of the skies.

"I stand before you, in pain, asking once more for you guys to fight for me. One last time. Please, fight for me. I can't carry this team the way I used to, I can't be a scoring machine like I once was. I need all of you to pitch in. Together, we can beat Bakura. I know we can."

"We're with you," Martia Paak said.

"Always," Erin Windreaver added.

"Till the final buzzer sounds," rookie Niall Rian commented.

"Put your hands in the circle," Mylessa McCloud commanded.

The team gathered around, gloved hands thrust together, a show of unity, a show of strength.

"For Shady," Mylessa and the team cried out in unison.

"Wicked! Wicked Wicked!" The Smugglers players chanted as they escorted Shady Lerouex out onto the pitch for one final battle. One final game. One final shot at the trophy that had defined so many great players over the years.

Shady basked in the cheers of the traveling 'Crew'. She waved and blew kisses at her father who flashed her a thumbs up. This was her final ride. This was it. She wanted to break down and cry.

Shady wanted to collapse on the pitch as the Nar Shaddaa anthem thundered throughout the stadium. Her teammates refused to let her as they locked arms and sang their anthem in Huttese and Basic. They were united. No matter the outcome. No matter the final score. The entire stadium seemed to reverberate with the beautiful sound of an anthem that had come to signify the uniting of two cultures, two peoples, two ways of life into one.

Shady felt the words fall from her lips as the tears came. The final game of her career. The crowd began to take over the anthem as the flags of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers waved in the stands. She was moved to tears as the players sang with their fans. Fans who had stood by the team through thick and thin. Fans who had flocked to Naboo to see their lady, the face of the franchise, off into the sunset in one final game.

You can do this, Shady, one final game. One final play. You've got this. No matter the outcome you're a winner, Shady thought as the anthem subsided and the cheers took over.

Another chant whipped through the stadium. One that had come to define her resurgent season.

"Wicked! Wicked! Wicked!"

Shady raised a closed fist in the air as she took her position on the field against the Bakura Miners.

The whistle blew.

This was it.

Tag: @jcgoble3 (who approved Euceron participation), and @Trieste (for you know, the biggest game of all)

Runjedirun, Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Sub GM Post

Futures Cup Finals

The Pond, Theed, Naboo
    (6) Atzerri Bandits vs (4) Thyferra Force (22-24)

Congratulations to the Thyferra Force on the 289 LFL Championship!

Tags: @Jedi Gunny @galactic-vagabond422

Jedi Gunny, Trieste and Vehn like this.
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

And for all the (ELL) marbles, Bakura and Nar Shaddaa both have bonus potential.

133rd Galactic Cup Final
    The Pond, Theed, Naboo

(3) Nar Shaddaa Smugglers vs. (2) Bakura Miners (35-28)

Congratulations to the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers, the 289 Galactic Cup of Limmie champions!

TAG: @Vehn

jcgoble3, Runjedirun and Vehn like this.
  11. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    IC: Shady Lerouex
    The Pond, Theed
    133rd Galactic Cup Final
    Smugglers 35, Miners 28

The game had been a total blur, a total shootout, a high scoring affair that had nearly broken the legend of Shady Lerouex. Her brace was shredded from the fast pace of the game action, the quick cuts, the hard hits, the unrelenting scoring. Defenses were in full bend but don't break mode. The entire playoff run the Smugglers had taken to getting to this point had proven that much. This league, this year, was about offense. Burying your opponent in a sea of points.

Harle Quinn had thrown in some dirty hits. Shady had to admire the technique. She'd once been that scrappy. She'd once been that respected. She'd once been that feared. Martia Paak and Niall Rian had combined for nearly ten points a piece as they absolutey tore into the Miners defense. Jamie Duplysses had contributed her share, Nil Brynner even had a point or two, and Dac VanDaam had setup the game winning pick that had sealed the victory.

The Smuggler's defense, so stout all year long, had done their part in stopping the Miners offensive attack. Zelena Wiles, Jade Enders, Zak Tomaas, and Helen Ripley had put a masterful plan that put to the test their endurance and their strength. Middies Erin Windreaver and Acantha Zane had done their bit as well winning their matchups in classic fashion to put the ball in the dangerous hands of the offense.

The Smugglers had outlasted the Miners. The victory was historic. They'd lost the last two match ups in 259 and 287 respectively. This game meant so much, to everyone, but most of all to Shady Lerouex who'd been snubbed by the Miners in '75 on draft day. She still carried through with the post game handshake and even locked eyes with Harle Quinn before the Miners disappeared from the field. Perhaps, in some ways, it was the passing of a torch from one generation to the next.

OOC: I don't normally use country music but I thought this was fitting. For some reason this song just seemed to click with the ending of a storied career.

Burgundy and black confetti rained down all over the field.

Shady was immediately mobbed by Erin Windreaver, Martia Paak, Niall Rian, Zelena Wiles, Helen Ripley, and so many members of the team that had made this victory possible. She felt herself being lifted upon powerful shoulders, the victory lap beginning as the enormous traveling contingent of Smugglers fans applauded, cheered, and looked on in admiration from the stands. It was the final salute to a storied career and Shady soaked in every minute as she waved to Lars Steelhead, his muscular frame towering over everyone else, and her eyes caught sight of former owner Lilly Vehn who gave a respectful nod.

Shady felt a lump in her throat as she knew that somewhere in the heavens Kaitlyn Vehn was looking down on this franchise. A franchise she'd helped resurrect. Shady remembered when Kaitlyn had been present for the Smuggler's victory in '76 and had just missed the team's victory in '78 due to the assassination attempt that had taken her life. She raised a gloved finger to the heavens and mouthed a quiet thank you. Kaitlyn had believed in her. From draft day until the day she died. For that, Shady was eternally grateful.

The team carried Shady to the dais that now stood assembled at midfield for the presentation of the Galactic Cup trophy. Shady eased off the shoulders of her friends as she planted her weak legs on the stage and waved to the Smuggler fans who chanted, "Wicked! Wicked! Wicked!"

"There it is!" Erin Windreaver shouted as she pointed to the most beautiful silver chalice that ever existed. She and Zelena Wiles were the only two players, besides Shady, on the team that could physically remember holding the Galactic Cup.

The 289 Nar Shaddaa Smugglers parted as the Galactic Cup made its way to the dais. Players kissed the trophy, others simply reached out with gloved hands to touch a piece of Limmie history, and others refused to touch it in awe of its mystical power. Shady kept her hands tightly together as the trophy, carried by Commissioner Fenrir Lokensgaard, appeared on stage up close and personal.

The crowd fell quiet a little bit as droids hovered close to Lokensgaard to project his voice throughout the stadium and across the Holonet. Fenrir was widely appreciated throughout the galaxy as being a capable commissioner. He was popular with the owners. He was popular with the players. He'd saved Limmie's image after his predecessor Niakara Kayl'hen had been voted out in a league wide coup.

"What an incredible Final! A classic Final!" Lokensgaard began, "What a way to wrap up an incredible decade of Elite League Limmie! I couldn't have imagined a better finish!"

The crowd applauded and whistled.

"Let's take a moment to congratulate the Bakura Miners on a hard fought game! They put up one heck of a fight! It's not often we get to see these two teams go at one another in the Final. It's only happened three times in the modern era of Limmie and the Miners were in the victor's circle for two of them. Let's give them a round of applause," Lokensgaard said.

"And now, let's present the Numifolis Award for Playoff MVP," Lokensgaard said, "I think we all know who has earned this prestigious trophy: Shady Lerouex!"

Shady stepped forward and pumped her fist in the air as she shook Lokensgaard's hand and held the Numifolis Award high above her head with the other. This was all so surreal. So incredible. So amazing. She soaked the cheers of the crowd in for a moment and then returned to her position behind Vera Grames. The next moment was the one she wanted to remember for all time.

The crowd applauded once more and then fell silent as Vera Grames stepped near Lokensgaard for the official presentation of the Galactic Cup. Holocameras whirred all around as the league wanted to record a historic transfer of the Galactic Cup trophy to the granddaughter of arguably one of the most influential figures in league history, Rhia Grames.

"Vera Grames," Lokensgaard said as he started to hand the Galactic Cup over, "on behalf of Elite League Limmie it is a privilege and an honor to present to you the Galactic Cup trophy."

Vera grasped the Galactic Cup firmly in her hands and was about to lift it high above her head when she caught herself. She looked back at Head Coach Mylessa McCloud, Defensive Coordinator Autumn Graves, Team Captain Martia Paak, and Shady Lerouex. She knew what she needed to do.

"Together, we won this thing together!" Vera yelled.

Shady stepped forward as did the others and helped Vera hoist the trophy high above their heads. 'The Crew' cheered so loud Shady thought her ears were going to burst. She smiled and soaked in every moment as the trophy was brought back down from the heavens and given to her. She kissed the silver chalice and her eyes casually tracked down the names of previous Galactic Cup winners of the 280's like Mando'ade, Bakura, Carratos, Ralltiir, and Rydonni Prime.

She remembered when she last held the Cup back in '78. The team had been grieving a fallen leader. She remembered the painful defeats against Ralltiir in '82 and Bakura in '87. Two years ago she thought about calling her career quits but something inside her urged her to go forward, to fight beyond the physical degradation of her body, to go that extra distance. She did and was so thankful she pushed herself to stay in contention.

Now the great struggle was over.

Now she was victorious once more.

Shady Lerouex sighed in resignation as she passed the Galactic Cup trophy to Erin Windreaver and she in turn passed it on to Zelena Wiles. There was Mylessa McCloud, hoisting the Galactic Cup trophy for the first time in her coaching career as a victor. That meant a great deal to her. That was something special.

A heavy fatigue settled over Shady as the celebrations continued. A 14 year career in the Elite League had come to a close.

Shady felt a tug on her jersey. She limped around to find her father gazing at her with tears in his eyes. She'd been able to keep it together up to this point but now she just lost it. It was too much. Seeing him standing there looking so vulnerable, so fragile, made her reach out and drag him into a fierce embrace. The pair held one another tight. They didn't speak for the longest time.

She remembered when she was young and he'd first encouraged her to play Limmie. She'd fought, she'd resisted, and he'd insisted that she play, that she might even like it, that she might even grow to love the game. Here she was, decades later, at the pinnacle of her career, at the end of the road, on the verge of retirement, making history once more.

Shady whispered in his ear, "This is for you, Daddy. All of this is for you. I'm so glad you could be here today."

"I wouldn't miss this for anything," her father replied, "I was there for your first game and I am so thankful I could be here for your last."

"Me too," Shady replied as she gave her father a tight squeeze, "Me too."

"What are you going to do after all this?" Her father asked as she pulled away.

"Enjoy my last few minutes as a professional limmie player of the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers," Shady replied, "and after that, well, I don't know. I guess I'll do what I've always done. Find a cause worth fighting for and take no prisoners."

"That's my girl," her father replied with a laugh.

"You taught me everything I know," Shady replied, "thank you."

The 289 Nar Shaddaa Smugglers knelt around the Galactic Cup trophy for their team photo. They had made history today. For Shady Lerouex, now a three time Galactic Cup champion, it was a fitting end to a bitter and brutal career. A career that had taken its toll on her body but never her mind, never her spirit.

At long last she was done fighting.

Tag: @Trieste

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Trieste, jcgoble3 and Runjedirun like this.
  12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Harle Quinn
    The Pond, Theed, Naboo

I sit on the bench. The game is over. Red and black sparkly confetti is stuck to my hair, skin, and uniform. It’s super clingy for some reason. I don’t know why it’s got all this static. (Psychology major, remember? Not science. Even if I attended a university with “Natural Sciences” in its name.) I tried shaking my arms a couple times, but the confetti just kept sticking. I must have looked like a Fosh who fell into a vat of glitter. I’ve given up now and have accepted it’ll probably take a show to wash the Smugglers’ glory off me.

I gave this game, the biggest game I’ve ever played, everything I had. Two goals, three points over the bar. Even so, I’m proud it was a team effort. Irvin kept up his amazing play again today. Niskat Deenever was a beast in the middle, a vintage effort from her. I can’t fault anybody up front. Defense...well, my fellow Ranger Niall Rian was a hard mark to stop today. Horst and the gang did their best, but their best wasn’t going to deny Shady and Crew (capital letter very much intended) today.

A storybook ending for the Smuggler great, that’s for sure. It’s the way everyone wants to go out, lifting the Cup over your head, like she’s doing now. I was so close to that being me, to capping my first ELL season with a championship, a feat so rarely achieved. It was almost my storybook ending.

I watch as every being I shook hands with parades across the field with the Cup. (I think I punched all of them in the face at least once today.)

Abe Cynour.

Quillan Sands.

Beck Thornton.

Ruunjaa.

Foyr Ralote.

Woosel Rahcson.

Collie Austen.

Jeremid Taskark.

Fianna Ragnos.

Jack Kettch.

Shae Bellwether, that old hand.

Henry Jones (Jun-yah!)

Morgan Renhorn.

Dalton Ward, the former Miner.

Nigel Garadd.

Zak Tomaas.

Jade Enders.

Victor Drago.

Ric Grimes, who earned his ring by receiving more abuse from than anyone than any of his teammates.

Acantha Zane.

Dac VanDaam.

Jamie Duplysses

Nil Brynner.

Zelena Wiles, another PCNS grad (I guess they just love us Rangers!).

Erin Windreaver, an epic Smuggler.

Niall Rian, who was wet behind the ears when I left PCNS. (He probably learned everything he knows from me. Definitely. I meant to say definitely.)

Martia Paak, the steady captain who brought this team back.

Autumn Graves, a former Miner herself, now coaching with their old rivals.

Mylessa McCloud, a legend of the field and the sidelines.

Vera Grames, a woman who carried on a dream begun a generation before her.

And Shady. Of course Shady. If I had to choose one being, she represents this rivalry more than anyone else. Born on Nar Shaddaa. Raised on Bakura. College limmie on Bakura. Pro ball on Nar Shaddaa. She understands this game in a way no one else can. It doesn’t make this better. It’s just how it is.

Everyone had an extra word of congratulations for Shady. Even though the rest of the team is probably grumbling about the Smugglers right now in the locker room, we all put that aside for a moment to pay tribute to a limmie great. (I, however, am planning something to do with a cream pie to the face during her press conference. I’m still working on the details, but I think it involves a rubber chicken as a distraction.)

So, one might ask, why are you sitting on the bench covered in confetti, Harle? That’s a great question! Glad to see somebody was paying attention and didn’t lose the thread in all this championship nonsense. I am sitting here because I can’t help myself. I have to watch this sad scene. I have to see what I just missed on. It’s painful to have been so close and see someone else raise that chalice. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not some kind of masochism that keeps me here, wanting to revel in this feeling, remember it to fuel me next season. I’m not sitting here making a vow that the Smugglers will pay, that the galaxy will see what Harle Quinn can do, that my name will be etched in eternal glory. (Which they will, they will, and it will, respectively. I mean, revenge is a dish best served with chocolate pudding, you know.)

The truth is that I don’t know why I’m sitting here. I just know this is where I’m supposed to be right now. My teammates can sit in the locker room and feel sorry for themselves. I already cried on the field when the game ended and this season’s dream was over. Maybe it’s that respect must be paid. Maybe it’s that some part of me never believed that I would ever be this close to the Galactic Cup in my life. Maybe it’s that I want to be witness to history, to the last glory of Shady Lereoux.

“Do you know what my goal as general manager is?”

I turn and see Mr. C sitting down next to me. “Uh...win the Galactic Cup, Mr. C?”

“It’s not just to win the Cup. It’s to put the Miners first in the Galactic Cup count in the Modern Era. Coming into this game they had 11--” He nods towards the celebrating Smugglers. “--and we had 10. My job is all that much harder now.”

“I wish we could have gotten one more for you today,” I say.

“It’s the playoffs,” Mr. C says. He leaves it at that and I understand. In the playoffs, there is no regression to the mean. It is what it is and you can’t rail against it. (Well you can, but that would be crazy.)

“Next year, Mr. C,” I say. I put my head against his shoulder.

“Harle, we’re going to have so much fun together next year,” Mr. C promises.

“That’ll be nice. Why don’t you tell me about it?”

I don’t hear what he says, because I immediately fall asleep. I’m pretty sure I start snoring. Wake me up when it’s the 290 training camp, would ya?

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Ralltiir Starkillers announce end-of-season moves
      • Head Coach Dashric Stonlon and the Starkillers agree to part ways
      • Ty Allin agrees to sole head coaching position for the Starkillers with a contract of five years for a non-disclosed amount
      • Chestnut Reeser retires as player and accepts a junior coaching position with the Starkillers
      • Annabelle Shaw retires
      • Chira Moun retires
      • Caffrette McMee signs 4 year extension
      • Selex signs 3 year extension
    • Tatooine Sandskimmers also announce end-of-season moves
      • Mort retires
      • Corunno Non retires
      • Kaeper’nick Kryze signs 5 year extension
      • Willi Mayes Hays signs 2 year extension
    • Bakura Miners assistant GM Saorise Sloan announced as new general manager of the Hapes Consortium Buccaneer
      • Sloan says she will bring a "100% stats-based approach" to the Bucs
      • "Male, female, something in between, I don't care. I care about winning limmie games"
      • Sloan's philosophy is entirely in keeping with recent gender rights laws signed into law by the Queen Mother
      • Quinn Cundertol released a valedictory statement on Sloan saying "She is one of the brightest minds in personnel I have ever seen. I have no doubt she will reach great heights with the Buccaneers"
        • HSN analyst speculates that Sloan had been seen as Cundertol's potential successor, but "this likely means Cundertol isn't going anywhere in the near future if Sloan was willing to go down to the Bucs to get a full GM job"
    • Bakura Miners captain Niskat Deenever announces her retirement from limmie
      • Deenever won three Cups with Bakura, one as captain
      • On why she waited to announce this until after the Final: "I didn't know until the Final was over that my time was done"
    • Miners name Horst Penn new captain
      • Penn on the honor: "Do I have to tuck my shirt in? Because that's kind of a dealbreaker"
    TAG: @jcgoble3 (for old time's sake with Hapes) @Runjedirun

14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

HSN Headlines

• Head Coach Mylessa McCloud given a five year contract extension by the Smugglers
    • Shady Lerouex retires and is hired as offensive coordinator for the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers
    • Erin Windreaver retires and is hired as midfield coach
    • Massive riots on Nar Shaddaa as the victory parade makes its way to Six Boroughs stadium

15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    IC: Christine Gamble (back by popular demand)

Theed, Naboo

The elegance of the night’s festivities could not be overstated. Everything about Naboo was luxurious, the water immaculate as it flowed downstream near the main city center. The hosts from Naboo were gracious hosts for the Elite League Awards Ceremony and the Limmie Finals, and had not pulled out any stops in their efforts to entertain all comers.

But Christine was not one of the normal visitors. She was here for one final hurrah, the Awards Ceremony. She was up for two awards, with a chance to win her first award. It would be a fitting end to a career, she thought. Perhaps an Award, if she had the fortune to win one, would lessen the sting of the shocking end to her playing days. In the two weeks since her dreams of a Galactic Cup Final appearance had been dashed by a complete three-game collapse by her team, it had been difficult to find a sense of purpose beyond the game. She had spent plenty of time in bed, just sitting there trying to find the motivation to find new activities now that Limmie could no longer solely define her. It was a real struggle, and she relished the opportunity to have one final go at being Christine Gamble the Limmie player here on Naboo.

Undoubtedly she had received many odd looks from passerby as she and her fiancée, Ric Anderson, made their way through the events center to their seat. She had decided, after all these years, to finally dye her hair a different color. Her normally-blonde hair was now dark brown to black, with some blonde highlights for good measure. It would be a sign that she was moving on to something new, but perhaps it also was homage to her former self. That version of herself had once dreamed to play professionally; what she had done was noteworthy. 12 All-Star Appearances, including one the previous night when she had dressed and played the final minutes of her storied career. The Skywalker had won, of course, but she had been given an opportunity to go out on a high note. Well, at least a high-enough note given her inability to paste a Patriots player with a big hit. Some things just had to stay imaginary.

When it came time for the Duchess Eldin Award to be given, she had to restrain herself from her excitement. It was prudent to be excited at an Awards ceremony when one was nominated; she hoped that there would be a win in her future.

“And the winner is . . . Christine Gamble of the Coruscant Senators.”

What happened next seemed to be a whirlwind. She gave her acceptance speech, unable to really say what was on her mind. But no one needed to know her struggles to find a new sense of purpose after Limmie. This was about her on-field accomplishments, and she gave one hell of a presentation. Or, at least she figured she did, because it came out as a stream of randomly-placed words and phrases. Some probably thought she was drunk or completely lost. Those who knew her best understood that she was completely overwhelmed with emotion and could not truly convey what was on her mind for fear of sounding like a raving lunatic.

The press tour afterwards was another flash of brilliant color, the questions coming fast and furious. She answered the questions the best she could, but she didn’t seem to care. Something in her brain seemed to be off, the lingering question of her future still tugging at her and screaming for attention. Perhaps she could still those thoughts later and remember this party, she thought.

After the event, she and Ric decided to go to dinner at one of the fanciest restaurants in town. It would be a no-frills exercise in drinking in the spotlight, but not at an afterparty. This was just for her and Ric, or so she thought.

“Thought I might find you here,” came a gregarious voice from the next table over. Christine looked to see the legendary Dirxx Horstse sitting there with several Senator celebrities. There was Polis Vayne, the 262 Numifolis Winner. Next to him, Gark S’rily, 268 Cup-Winning Coach and Senator legend. The other one Christine did not recognize off the bat. But they had to be a Senator legend, right?

After a few minutes of conversation, the reason for their presence was clear. “Gamble, you in?” Horstse finally asked.

Frak, guess I’m jumping back in after all. Imagine that.

“Wouldn’t miss it.”

:falcon::falcon::falcon:

Headlines:

• The Coruscant Senators announce that former team captain and 12-time All-Star Christine Gamble has agreed to become new Corner Backs/Full Backs Coach for 290 season. Remainder of coaching staff yet to be determined.

16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post

Elite League Limmie 290: I Can't Stop This Feeling

(OOC: Honestly, this is the weirdest, most hilarious thing I have seen all week and worth a watch if you need something to do while you figure out your draft picks.)

Kashyyyk

[​IMG]

"Bet you didn't think the Draft was going to be on Kashyyyk this year," Commissioner Lokensgaard said. "In truth, I didn't either. My assistant threw a bag over my head, chucked me into the trunk of a speeder that then got loaded onto a starship, and when they took the hood off I was backstage and someone was shoving me on stage. So that's what my day was like. How was yours?"

The Wookiees in the audiences started chuckling their chuffy growls.

"No, that is not funny. How would you like to be taken against your will and stuffed on a shuttle without so much as a juice box?" Lokensgaard asked.

A Wookiee roared at him from the front row.

"Okay, okay, so maybe no on the slavery jokes on Kashyyyk," Lokensgaard said, putting his hands up in an act of surrender. "Next thing I know Alderaanians aren't going to enjoy my Death Star jokes. Sheesh.

"So, because I was so rudely transported here, I didn't have time to work on my usual speech. So, let's see...Carratos...pirate joke...arrr...Ralltiir...something about a base...etc. etc....Coruscant...something something broomhead logo...Mando'ade...buckets and flamethrowers...Rydonni Prime...ummm...lions I think?....Euceron...Commissioner's Trophy curse...yadda yadda yadda...Bakura...usual awful draft position with nothing to show for it...Nar Shaddaa...bet they're okay drafting last...so on and so forth...

"I think that about covers it! I hereby open the 290 ELL Draft. So, say it with me now:

"The Carratos...Pirates...are...on...the...clock!"

jcgoble3, Bardan_Jusik and Vehn like this.
  17. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Jella Fernandes
    O'Pahz, Carratos

Jella looked out the window of a rundown apartment, an earbud attached to a simple comm picking up the live ELL draft coverage. He really shouldn't be listening to it while on stakeout but, it did help the time go by faster.

"Are you listening Jella?" a woman with long black hair called out from the couch. Her legs were crossed as she leaned back casually on the worn out sofa. Her clothes were tight fitting but, not necessarily immodest.

"Yeah Ultear." He replied turning back around a slight smile on his lips hearing the Commissioner's opening lines. It was ironic...no more coincidental that such a act was what Jella was here to do.

Call it kidnapping, call it renditioning, it's all about the same.

"Then you know who we are looking for right?"

"Yeah," He started leaning against the water stained and grimy wall, "his name is Sprax, he's a suspected White Star sympathizer, and up to his eyeballs in debt. We're going to take him, squeeze him for information on the newest branch of his little insurgency opening up here in the city."

"Good, at least you're not completely distracted by that thing in your ear." Ultear Milkovich, the woman's full name, stretched her lithe arms letting out a long breath. "He won't be back for a few more hours." She continued getting up from the threadbare furniture that came with the place when they 'rented' it. It wasn't the best place but as they say, it's all about location, location, location. And this location was neatly situated between a local grocer that sells fresh local produce out the front, and imported glitterstim out the back, and a condemned tenament that should have been knocked down about a decade ago. But, at least the schools are good.

The dark haired woman looked out the window again, a force of habit really, like she said their target shouldn't be home for a few more hours.

"Good," Jella said making his way over to a stuffed chair. "Give me time to listen to the Draft." He flopped down a slight puff of dust accompanied his dropping into the chair.

"I didn't think you cared for Limmie…"

"I don't usually but…" he looks around the room, "What else is there to do."

Meanwhile, far away from Carratos, Schnitt Polenta strode out on to the stage a smile on his face. "One-Eye" Logan remained just in the wings.

"The Carratos Pirates with the First pick of the 290 Elite League Draft select Wally Buchanan, Half Back from University of Carratos."

As the crowd cheered and the Scallywags started to sing, a young Balosar with a broad brimmed hat, pinstriped suit and white scarf walked down the aisle and up onto the stage. He accepted his jersey with a wry smile.

Jella smirked, he might not have known a lot about limmie but, he knew enough about the place he grew up to know.

Carratosians like local products.

"The Ralltiir Starkillers are on the clock."

TAG: @Runjedirun

@Trieste Approved PC for the 290 Season

Name: Jella Fernandez

Species: Human

Homeworld: Carratos

Physical Appearance: 6'0" with an athletic frame and blue hair. Besides the blue hair around his right eye is a distinctive red tattoo, not one he wanted. Generally wears a long blue coat with a white shirt underneath.

Relationship to Team: Fan? Well maybe just a fan of one particular redhead...not that one...not that one...yeah, that one.

Bio: It is often said that we hurt the ones we love. This is more true of Jella, he'll make no excuses for his actions, won't blame the darkness that took control of him, won't blame cult that kidnapped him as a child. He knew what he was doing, knew he was hurting her and he did it anyway.

They 'grew' up together, if you can call being kidnapped at the same time by the same cult trying to resurrect a long dead sith lord. They spent their first few years enslaved, building a tower in the middle of the ocean never told why they were building it, what it was all for. Jella was, rebellious, fighting back not bending to the overseer's will. That willful attitude got him locked away, in a isolated room, with only his thoughts...and the thoughts of another.

They were darker thoughts, dangerous thoughts. They wanted him give into his rage, to let go and usurp those that oversaw this tower. His young mind couldn't take it, couldn't shutout the constant whispers. When he gave in suddenly he felt possessed by a power he didn't understand and almost couldn't control.

His laughter could be heard throughout the tower as he finally broke.

With a wave of his hand the durasteel bars were blown out, ripping from the duracrete wall. With this new found power he tore his way through the guards and anyone that tried to stop him. The other slaves thought this was the start of a revolt and rose up to fight, even her. However, Jella, or maybe it was the darkness inside him had other plans. After killing any overseers that stood against him, he quelled the rebellion in brutal fashion, him a child. She tried to reason, tried to speak to the boy that was underneath the pain and hatred.

He told her to run, told her to flee, or he would harm everything she loved.

He was, in his own twisted way, saving her, he knew he couldn't control the power within him driving him to continue this work he was forced to do.

That was the last she saw of him.

Years past, things change, with him, and with her.

She now plays for the Carratos Pirates, and he is changed. The specifics of his change are difficult to explain but, after many years and time spent in another prison, one designed to hold people like him. Cut off from the presence and the darkness he had time to think, to reflect on what he had done, and was horrified.

He was 'released' though he had a feeling there were other powers at work.

Now, he hunts down those that would use dark powers to get what they want. With two associates, the two he suspects were the ones that gain his release. He travels the galaxy dealing with problems no one else can. This is his act of atonement, his penance.

Now his latests case, brings him back home, to the planet it all started, Carratos and to her…

Erza Scar'lett.

18. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    IC: Tomas Vigo

Tomas sat back into his sofa and put his feet on the caf table. He wore his most comfortable UTA sweatpants and a worn out comfortable T-shirt. Von’kedo was in the bedroom fast asleep. She had asked Tomas to wake her for the draft, but Tomas couldn’t disrupt her sleep. She’d been at the med center 3 nights in a row and she needed her rest.

No sooner had Tomas gotten comfortable on the couch than there was a knock at his door. It was unusual for anyone to knock without him expecting a visitor. Only family could get through stadium security and up to his apartment without a call from the doorman. Quickly Tomas got up and answered the door, hoping that Von’kedo hadn’t been woken.

It wasn’t family on the other side, it was Starkillers team captain Yolanda Dunerider.
    [​IMG]

At least that explained how she got past security. “What are you doing here?” Tomas asked.

“I came to watch the draft,” Yolanda said walking right by Tomas and into the kitchen.

“Don’t you have a holo at your house?”

“Well I do, but I was in the weight room. I lost track of time and you live so close,” Yolanda pointed out.

Tomas couldn’t argue with that logic.

“Do you mind if I finish this take-out?” Yolanda asked picking a container out of the ice box. Tomas still stood in the living room watching her as she opened drawers until she found one with a fork. “You have anything good to drink?” Yolanda asked as she opened the take out container and stabbed her fork into the sweet and sour chicken.

“Alcoholic or non-alcoholic?” Tomas asked cautiously.

By this time Von’kedo had awoken and she was walking out of the bedroom in pajama pants and a plain pink t-shirt. “Has the draft started?” She asked with a yawn.

“Did you get enough sleep?” Tomas asked concerned.

“More than enough. I see we have a guest. Should I make caf?” Von’kedo was wandering around aimlessly. Tomas could tell she was still half asleep.

“You sit down,” Tomas instructed. “I’ll make caf.”

Von’kedo fell into the sofa and Yolanda plopped down next to her. “You woke up just in time. Tomas was going to pour us some wine,” Yolanda said enthusiastically.

Von’kedo watched as her husband’s teammate took a bite of her left over dinner from two days ago. She was too tired to protest. “We do still have some bottles left over from the wedding,” Tomas remembered. He handed Von’kedo a steaming cup of freshly brewed caf and looked to see if she approved of them sharing their unused stash.

“Why not,” Von’kedo said as she pressed the mug up to her face and inhaled the scent of her too hot to drink caf.

Tomas unlocked a cabinet and grabbed a cork screw. He looked up at the cabinet to grab some glasses. “Screw it,” he muttered under his breath. He went into the bedroom and powered up N-17. “Pour three glasses of wine and make some hors d’oevres,” Tomas instructed.

Yolanda took no time in finishing her first glass of wine. “About time you offered me something to eat,” she said when she saw that N-17 was putting something in the oven. “Turn up the holo. The Pirates are about to make their pick!”

N-17 adjusted the volume. Tomas sat back and sipped his own glass of wine as the Pirates picked a predictable local recruit. “Here it comes,” Yolanda said. She paused to drink another half glass of wine. “This is when they pick my replacement.”

Tomas knew what his captain meant, her contract was up, she’d been in the league for 12 years. Everyone expected her to retire at the end of the season. He hadn’t thought about how said captain felt about her career being so close to over. Richard took the stage with Ty Allin at his side. “With the second pick of the 290 Elite League Limmie Draft the Ralltiir Starkillers select DeeJay Jcamlio Forward from the University of Tatooine.” Tomas hoped there was enough wine to get them through the night.

Tag: @Jedi Gunny

Trieste, Vehn, jcgoble3 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC
    Miner offices, Salis D’arr, Bakura

For the first time in many years--everyone stood at the beginning of a Miners press conference. It was not out of respect, but rather one of de facto protocol.

The Prime Minister of Bakura had entered the room.

“Good morning,” Ayn Trieste said. Behind her stood team general manager Quinn Cundertol and her husband Declan. “Thank you for joining us today. To be honest, I’m glad of the excuse to skip a couple briefings.” She flashed a smile and enjoyed chuckles from the media. “Hopefully you’ll be kinder than the Marian Square press pool.”

Three days earlier, Ayn Trieste had been sworn in as Prime Minister following the resignation of Silas Madsen under a cloud of scandal. As Deputy Prime Minister, the executive mantle fell to her in the event of a vacancy. She would now finish the remaining two plus years of her predecessor’s term until it ran out in 292.

“I would like to address one matter that has been speculated about in the sports media recently, which is the ownership of the Miners,” Ayn began with all the organization of an attorney making her opening argument. “I can confirm that, by the decision of my husband, the mantle of Taoiseach of the Noble House of Trieste has passed to me, along with all accompanying property. As such, I now administer the Noble House’s ownership of the Bakura Miners. This change has been registered with the ELL on Coruscant.

“Accordingly, I decide who will serve as Chairman of the Miners. I am pleased to announce that Declan will continue in this role. His leadership has produced fantastic achievements in the last three years.

“Similarly, Quinn Cundertol continues to have our full support as general manager. In fact, I’m hoping we can finally talk him into actually signing a multi-year commitment. After 20 years, it’s about time.” Cundertol simply smirked behind Ayn.

“After last year’s Galactic Cup Final run, Jon Draper will continue as head coach. With two playoff appearances in two years under his belt, reaching the Conference Final and Galactic Cup Final, we continue to expect great things from him.”

“Now, there is one thing I’d like to address before I return to the pesky business of running the planet,” Ayn said casually. “That’s this whole bit about the Miners winning a championship every time the ownership is handed on. It happened with my mother in-law, it happened with my sister in-law, and it happened with my husband. As far as I’m concerned, Declan and I are a package deal. There really hasn’t been much of a transition except on flimsi. Therefore, the whole notion is completely irrelevant this year.”

Ayn paused.

“But I wouldn’t turn my nose up at bringing the Cup to Bakura in 290,” she finished with a grin. She concluded her press conference with that. After all, she had a planet to run.

GM Approved

[​IMG]
    Name: Ayn Dormingale
    Species: Human
    Birth Year: 249 ABY
    Physical appearance: See above
    Homeworld: Bakura
    Relation to Team: Owner
    Brief Biography: In 273 ABY, Ayn Dormingale began attending Bakura Miner games in the Noble House box as nothing more than a member of “the fast set,” “the in crowd,” whatever you want to call them. She was on the list of people you invite to parties to impress other beings. Ayn didn’t have much to do with limmie—although she had slept with roughly half of the UB Salis D'aar Golden Bears limmie team during her time as a student there. The granddaughter of former Prime Minister Sabé Dormingale had a reputation as an alluring young woman. She was invited to all the right parties, had a contact book that includes all the fashionable beings, and, in short, was where she should be all the time. At any given moment there were likely two or three young male beings who were pining for Ayn's charms and attention.

Yet she only wanted to win one heart: that of Declan Trieste, then heir apparent to the Noble House of Trieste and the Chairmanship of the Bakura Miners. Limmie was her way in and only that. It was a means to an end. Even so, the drama in the owner’s box had its own fascination for young Dormingale. It was full of ego, playing out between some of the most influential beings in the galaxy, a representation of their hopes and dreams, the embodiment of their machinations against one another. And if Ayn enjoyed one thing, it was high stakes games between the rich and powerful—and Elite League Limmie, she realized, was one of the biggest games of all.

That was 17 years ago. Now married to Declan, she deployed every bit of guile and cunning in her body to depose the Prime Minister and rise to that office herself. Now she has to stay there...and the voters love a Miners team that wins…

(For the history fan, this CS is an almost exact replica of my 273 CS, which I thought would be a fun tribute. :p)

20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    GM Post
    Kashyyyk

"Gentlebeings, we have a trade!" Lokensgaard announced. It was, unquestionably, the most exciting sentence that could be uttered in the draft hall and the fans showed their lusty appreciation appropriately.

"The Coruscant Senators trade the third overall draft pick in this year's draft to the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers--"

Much cheering from The Crew, who would now be drafting quite a bit higher than anticipated this year.

"--in exchange for the eighth, sixteenth, and twenty-fourth picks in this year's draft, as well as the Smugglers' first pick in the 291 draft."

The draft hall was silent for a moment, and then exploded. The Senators had gotten a massive haul for a single pick, gaining the Smugglers' entire draft and their top pick next season. It seemed their new GM was going all in on this year's draft.

"As a result, the Smugglers are now on the clock."

TAG: @Jedi Gunny @Vehn

21. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Kashyyyk
    12 Hours Prior to the 290 ELL Draft

Erin Windreaver sat on a swinging bench overlooking the great forests of Kashyyyk. Strange creatures called to one another in the semi-darkness. Specks of torch light illuminated the various tree dwellings that made up the Wookiee homeworld. She enjoyed the quiet. She enjoyed the heavy, musky, smell of the old growth. So very different from her homeworld of Tatooine with its expansive sand dunes and twin suns.

She'd arrived early on Kashyyyk with her partner, and superior, Mylessa McCloud. The two had formed a strong working relationship in '76 when they'd been drafted together by Kaitlyn Vehn. That working relationship had evolved into something deeper, more meaningful, in ways that Erin still couldn't fully put into words. They'd had to keep their relationship secret while Erin was an active member of the roster. That had presented its own stresses, its own fears. Now, with Erin recently named midfield coach, those worries had slowly begun to dissipate.

Erin buried her face in her hands as she ran the names of the draftees that dominated the Smuggler's board. She'd studied the materials on the flight out from Nar Shaddaa. Read a lot of the athletic profiles on the top prospects broken down by position. She'd graded out the midfielders, her speciality, to present to General Manager Addison Vehn. There were a few decent prospects. Only one name rose to the top.

"You should get some sleep," Mylessa said sitting next to Erin.

"Big day tomorrow," Erin replied, "it's hard."

"You ever have this problem on game nights?" Mylessa asked.

Erin shook her head. "Never. I was always focused. Knew exactly what I had to do and how I needed to execute the game plan."

"Why is this different?" Mylessa asked.

"Addison is expecting my report tomorrow before we draft," Erin said.

"Yeah, so?"

"We pick number eight. We're dead last. A lot of the best prospects will be gone," Erin pointed out.

"We can't be sure of that," Mylessa said. "Besides, you're only supposed to be focusing on the midfielders. You talk as if you've studied the entire draft. That's Shay's department. Let her do the scouting."

"You don't understand. We need to be more aggressive. If we sit back we're going to lose out," Erin replied.

"Lose out on what?" Mylessa inquired and then her eyes widened.

"Don't give me that look," Erin said.

"Oh, I know what you're up to," Mylessa said, "I know why this draft is so important. Your little sister, Aurora, just declared. She's the number one rated midfielder and we have a gaping hole. You're not going to give your report to Addison. You're going to pitch why we should draft your sister. Am I right?"

"You always had a way of seeing through me," Erin replied.

"She is the best midfielder, I won't deny it. She killed the combine. But there's teams out there that might snatch her up in a heartbeat," Mylessa said, "Carratos and Ralltiir are probably out. They're set at midfield. Coruscant could be a possibility. Dirxx Horste is wanting to make a name for himself. He could very well draft best player available at number three."

"They won't take a middie," Erin replied, "but Mando'ade would."

"That'd be just like them to snatch someone that we're coveting right out from under our noses," Mylessa said, "besides I couldn't live with myself with Aurora Windreaver playing for the Mercs."

"Me either," Erin grunted, "I hate those guys."

"Me too," Mylessa replied with a laugh. "It was great beating them last year enroute to the Cup."

"It's going to cost us a lot to jump ahead of the Mercs," Erin said, "some serious draft capital."

"She worth it?" Mylessa asked. "She really that good?"

Erin looked into Mylessa's eyes and replied, "She's better than I ever was. There's only one problem."

"What's that?" Mylessa asked.

"She hates my guts," Erin admitted.

The Draft

"Are you out of your frakking mind?" General Manager Addison Vehn challenged her coaching staff.

"Give Coruscant a call," Erin urged.

"And sacrifice our draft?" Addison replied.

"We have a strong roster, not very many holes," Mylessa said, "except for a gaping one at midfield. Give the Senators a call. Feel them out on what they want in return for pick number three. If they bite and we can move up we have a chance to reshape this draft. We have a chance to stiff arm our mortal enemies."

"If they don't bite," Erin added, "we are still in a strong position."

Addison warily eyed up Erin before picking up her datapad to make the call. She walked off to a corner of the war room where Erin couldn't hear what she was saying. Addison looked tense. Not an ounce of emotion slipped across her face. She watched as Addison killed the transmission, took a deep breath, and made the long march back to the table.

"We have a deal," Addison said, "but I'm afraid we paid a heavy burden."

"How bad is it?" Mylessa asked.

"All three of our picks this year and our first round next year," Addison said. "Coruscant had us dead to rights and knows how brutal our conference plays Limmie. They're aware that the Skywalker has been on a tear the last decade with Galactic Cups. They want the balance of power back in the Solo, in their court. I agreed only because we have the opportunity to draft a once in a lifetime player whom is also a Batkis Award winner."

"You won't regret this decision," Erin said.

"I hope not," Addison replied, "because if this blows up in our faces we're not going to survive the axe that is sure to fall."

Draft Hall

"With the third pick of the 290 Elite League Draft," Erin Windreaver announced over the raucous cheers of the crew, "the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers select,"

"Whaaaaaat!" the Smugglers fans cheered.

[​IMG]

"My sister, Aurora Windreaver, Midfielder, VCU!"

The draft hall went nuts. Absolutely crazy.

Erin stepped aside as Aurora put on the team cap, jersey, and then pulled her little sister into a fierce embrace.

"You frakking better listen to me," Erin whispered in Aurora's ear. "It's not just my job on the line here. Nar Shaddaa had to give up a lot to get you."

"Whatever. I'm going to do things my way," Aurora replied in a sweet but deadly tone.

"Frak you," Erin hissed.

"Frak you," Aurora replied, "You know I can beat you anytime, anywhere."

"That's where you're wrong," Erin replied before pulling away. She leveled a finger at her younger sister, "Don't push me."

"I'd be afraid to push you," Aurora replied, "you're old and might break something."

"We'll settle this later," Erin grunted, "I've got a lot of explaining to do to Vera Grames."

"Whose that?" Aurora asked.

"The boss," Erin replied.

GM Approved!

[​IMG]

Name: Erin Windreaver
    Birth year: 253 ABY
    Physical appearance: Athletic build, 6'2''
    Homeworld: Tatooine
    Relation to Team: Midfielder Coch

Brief Biography:

Erin Windreaver is a three time Galactic Cup champion, Cup wins in '76, '78, and '89, best known for her play as a hard hitting midfielder for the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers. She is part of the famous Nar Shaddaa Smugglers draft class of '76 which also featured Head Coach Mylessa McCloud. She is the recipient of several League awards.

Erin has faced numerous challenges on and off the pitch but her greatest challenge lies directly before her. Molding her younger sister, Aurora, into a feared midfielder for the Nar Shaddaa Smugglers....

Tag: @Trieste, @Bardan_Jusik (not only for next pick but for brief mention of Mercs) and @Jedi Gunny (thank you for agreeing to this deal. You got the better end of it but I'm appreciative to be able to grab this player)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    OOC: Holy Week and Easter weekend are pretty busy here in the Jusik household, so no time for a "real" post from me here, but as I don't want to hold things up either...

IC: The Rancor Pitt
    Wavecasting the 290 ELL Draft

"With the fourth pick of the 290 ELL first year player draft, the Mando'ade Mercs select, Krabbas..."

"Wait did he just say crab ass?"

"I think he did."

" ...Defensive Back from Republican University."

"Oh he will fit right in on this defense."

"The Rydonni Prime Monarchs are now on the clock."

TAG: @SWNerd11

Vehn, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. SWNerd11

SWNerd11 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2017
    IC: Dawn Solo
    Rydonni Prime

Dawn sat in her office watching the draft unfold, without any input from her or her staff. She received a memo earlier in the day from GM Nathans informing her of such. So when she heard the announcement from the podium it was just as much of a surprise to her as it was the rest of the planet.

"With the fifth pick of the 290 ELL Draft, the Rydonni Prime Monarchs select, Cora Inthet Defensive Back from Mimban A&M University"

The Monarchs Head Coach could only sit there and shake her head. She had no clue what her roster was going to look like once her sophomore General Manager was done.

"The Euceron Officers are now on the clock."

TAG: @jcgoble3

Sent from my comlink using Tapatalk

Trieste, Runjedirun and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IC: Tendra Nalo
    Time: Draft night (Euceron local morning)

Tendra stood in the back yard of the house she grew up in, surveying the damage. Daylight allowed her to see what could not be seen last night. A portion of the roof was simply missing, and on the other side of the house, a medium-sized tree had toppled over, caving in the roof in what used to be Tendra's bedroom—which was the room Tendra was intending to sleep in last night. It was a good thing she had delayed her trip to bed by an hour to watch another episode on Holoflix.

Her mother, Jaria, walked up beside her, having studied the front of the house, which was in similar condition. No words were exchanged, for there was nothing that could be said that wasn't already painfully obvious. Finally, Jaria just let out a sigh.

"You know," Tendra said, "I knew there was a reason I didn't like Euceron. Now I remember. Tornadoes."

"At least this wasn't a big one."

"You got that right. I'd guess an F1, maybe an F2 at most. The thing is, we're millionaires. You have multiple vacation homes you can go live at while this house is repaired. The people around us probably don't have that luxury. What are they going to do? Overcrowd a friend's or relative's house? What about Asliam three houses down? He and Kea have eight kids in that house, and they're going to be forced out for months. Finding a place for a family of ten is tough, and raising eight kids costs a lot. I'll bet they have a lot fewer resources than their income suggests."

"Are you suggesting we should help them? But how?"

"Of course. You have how many vacation homes? Five? Pick one to live in, and let other families use the other four for a while, rent-free. And for the rest, I have a hundred million credits sitting in the bank. A few million will probably be more than enough to help provide places to live for a while for everyone forced out, and at the rate my investments are growing, it won't be more than a small blip on my bank account at the end of the day. That tornado wasn't on the ground very long; I'd hazard a guess of maybe 100 homes at most unlivable. Thank goodness it didn't hit downtown or approach the stadium."

"You know, sweetie, there are three things I've always admired most about you. Your courage and integrity are two of them. But the biggest one is your heart of gold. I never expected you to come up with anything like that, but it's just like you to do so. You remind me of your father. He was like that too. Sometimes I wish..." Jaria's voice trailed off.

"That you could see him again?" Tendra prompted. Jaria just pursed her lips and nodded, unable to get the words out. "I do too," Tendra said. "I wish he were around to see me now."

"He would be so proud of you and what you've accomplished. You've got a few more years left in you. I know you can win that Galactic Cup before you're done."

"I hope so, but I'm honestly not sure how much longer I can play. I'm seriously concerned about concussions. I had that really bad one off the field my rookie year. I don't want to end up with CTE. And I'm on the receiving end of a lot of hits in my position."

Just then, Tendra's datapad pinged, and she looked at it. "Well, look at that. I think Aebatt may already thinking about my replacement."

"Why? Draft pick?"

"Yep, UBSD forward Elza Trieste."

"Trieste, huh? That oughta be fun when you play the Miners."

"Don't get me started on that. Now, let's get these people some homes. We can't wait all day for that."

TAG: @Trieste (both for next pick and for the selection of Elza)

Trieste, SWNerd11, Jedi Gunny and 3 others like this.
  25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    IC: Ayn Trieste
    Marian Square, Salis D’aar, Bakura

Most beings didn’t know this, but the West Office, the room that citizens most closely associated with the Prime Minister, wasn’t her actual office. It was more a formal receiving space for meetings with staff, diplomats, visiting heads of state, and constituents. Her actual office was right next door. This was where Ayn Trieste went to actually get her work done, her sanctum sanctorum. Few beings got to come inside. Here was where she actually got work done.

Even though it was the weekend, Ayn had decided to clear out some of her backlog. It was a good use of her time, seeing as Declan had taken the kids to Kashyyyk for the ELL Draft. Truth was she was happy to let him be the public face of the team. He was like his mother in that he so loved the Miners. The impracticality of running the executive branch of the federal government and an ELL team at the same time aside, Ayn had no desire to take something he loved so much away from him.

But it was her team.

It was all hers, she thought, laying a legislative summary aside. Everything. All the stock holdings, all the land, all the property, the team...and more. Declan had told her after she’d become Taoiseach that the Manda’lor owed the Noble House a favor. It was related to enabling transit of a major Mandalorian military force through the Republic or something like that. The details were a little fuzzy at thirdhand. Falene and Declan hadn’t called that favor in, which was good. Ayn liked outstanding favors, when she was due the return benefit.

Her personal datapad pinged. She flicked the notification alert to read the full text.

Miners draft Angel Sorano (Forward, U. Grianaig [Carratos])

Ayn put the datapad to the side. Though Ayn was taking a hands off approach to the team, leaving it to Declan to oversee Quinn, he had discussed their tentative draft strategy. Elza must have gone already, a scenario Declan had thought probable. With Niskat retiring, there was a big hole in the offense. Though they anticipated Harle Quinn to continue to grow and be a major part of the offense, she’d benefited from a skilled player like Deenever on the half back line with her. It was a priority to maintain their momentum there. As a result, the Miners now had rights to another forward--and a Carratosian no less.

It made sense. Ayn understood limmie, even if she chose not to wade into its minutiae. She allowed herself a small smile. She knew the Pirates enjoyed taking their local talent. The Miners weren’t going to win any popularity awards over there for snapping up one of their own in the draft this year.

Ayn made a mental note to check later where Elza had gone so she could congratulate her niece...and remind her that limmie allegiances need not preclude continued ties to the Noble House. Vesper Lynd had shown that.

Ayn turned back to her work. Had the Smugglers not traded the pick away, Aunt Verity, cousin Eleanor, and cousin Austin would be on tenterhooks waiting for Nar Shaddaa’s selection. Austin’s wife Addison had taken care of that earlier today--one of the few tidbits from the Draft she had heard about given the huge swing it caused.

“What will Coruscant do?” Ayn mumbled as she picked up an analysis from State on the current state of efforts to repeal the Kattan Doctrine. They were on the clock now.

TAG: @Bardan_Jusik @galactic-vagabond422 @jcgoble3 @Jedi Gunny @Vehn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.