1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Sydney (19th-21st June), Perth (26th-28th April)

Oz Comic Con: Melbourne (27th-28th June), Brisbane (19th-20th September)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LittleTinGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok i have a question for those of you who don't live in Perth, what exactly is there to do out in the country so to speak?
  2. Symmbian Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ive lived in rural WA a few years.

In my opinion down south during the winter is nice, Pemberton and places like that. Haven't been up north but some people I know love
    it up there, Broome places like that.

Bed and breakfast places have sprung up, or staying at hotel and seeing whatever sites are there in the region.

3. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Some of the best beaches, fishing spots and camping spots in the country are in WA away from the city if you're in to any of that. In kalgoorlie where I am, most people move here for one reason - $. Lots of money working in the mining industry here without the need for all those pesky qualifications that are needed in other jobs. Teachers here are still poor though. :p
  4. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    That's because your union sucks. :p :p :p

The Albany experience is nice, but a little cold. I've become a big fan of the whole "down south" thing. I'd be living in Margaret River if my wife didn't have a violent objection to living in the country ;) ... seriously, wineries, surf, bush, good restaurants, good beaches ... one of Australia's better-kept secrets.
  5. LittleTinGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    What about the Manjimup and Albany area? Anyone know about those places?
  6. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Albany is where I was born and grew up. It's a pretty place, a quiet sort of coastal town which for many years had to put up with its image as a 'retirement town'. You won't find a teeming nightlife there, but if you're into natural wonders like bushwalking, fishing, coastal drives, and that sort of thing, it'll be right up your alley.

It is reasonably cold, particularly in winter -- though you won't see snow fall, it's prone to wild and woolly storms especially through autumn and winter. Generally you'll be lucky to see 30 degrees celsius on the thermometer, and usually it's more around the high teens-mid twenties in terms of temperature. Sunbaking is pretty much out ;)

Best way to enjoy Albany is to get out and see the natural sights. Don't expect fantastic tourist attractions (other than whale watching, maybe) but just relax in a coastal town that hasn't been taken over by the chardonnay set. It's quiet, sleepy even, but I still have a very soft spot for it.

EDIT: If you're in Manjimup (and if I remember right) you're actually within striking distance of Margaret River, Augusta, and Dunsborough. I would really recommend checking those places out first. Manjimup I don't know as much about, but I thought it was in the Pemberton area as well, in which case natural beauty is again your friend.
  7. LittleTinGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    I've been a city girl for far too long so it will be nice to get back to nature. As long as i have the internet and a good credit/debit card i'll be happy. Never been a clubber myself but aslong as there are a few good pubs then i think i can survive...Mebbe check out the local talent ;) :p

Depending on work, my parents i think will we be either in Manjimup, Albany or Pemberton.Don't quote me on that though:p

8. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    In about 4 years or so I intend to sell up here in Kalgoorlie and move down to Albany. To me it's like pleasantville on a larger scale.

And I just love all the green (Even more so since moving to Kal)
  9. LittleTinGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    Hopefully all this nature stuff will get me outside a bit more...instead of being on here most of the time[face_blush]
  10. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    Perth's the only place in the state with decent clubs (the kalgoorlie club scene's a joke and that's one of the biggest places outside Perth) but for most other things, I don't really miss out on much other than family being away from Perth.
  11. Stinky_jawa Jedi Master

star 4
    Woot, a month late welcome!

Forgive meeeeeee!

(sorry, in an odd mood.. making up for it with excessive posting. Well for me it is)
  12. LittleTinGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Stinky_jawa:)

Hopefully i'll get to meet a few members once i get to W.A
  13. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm always up for a meet. We haven't had one in a while.
  14. Ivo Jedi Knight

star 1

I take great offense to that the night life in Kal is great if you haven't spent a evening at the Exchange or Paddies you haven't experianced life
  15. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I've DJed at Paddies and I have to say, I've DJed at better. :p

On another note, I'll actually be in Perth next week but won't be available for any meets unfortunately. A big group of our school students are coming there for Country week and I'm coming along as coach of the soccer team. I knew very little about soccer before, but I know a lot more now. :)
  16. Stinky_jawa Jedi Master

star 4
    Apparently I am deceased...

ooOoOOoo.. ghost jawa..

I'm up for a meet tho, any big moofies coming up? (Please don't say Harry potter)..
  17. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Harry Potter? :p

Blades of Glory
    Bridge to Terabithia
    Clubland
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
    Four Minutes
    Hostel Part II
    Nancy Drew
    Ocean's Thirteen
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    Romulus, My Father
    Shrek the Third
    Transformers

Blades of Glory looks good. I like comedies.
  18. LittleTinGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
  19. Stinky_jawa Jedi Master

star 4
    Welcome, to the laaaand of tomorrowwwww.. *grabs coat and holds in dramatic fashion*

lol, well, to WA anyway :D
  20. LittleTinGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.