main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Emails not working?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jcgoble3, Apr 19, 2014.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Grimby LAJ_FETT

It seems that I have completely stopped receiving email notifications for everything. I have checked and double-checked that they are enabled on the forums, and I have confirmed that they are not in my spam folder. This has been an issue for a couple of days now. What's going on?

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I too have actually noticed this, since I haven't been getting notifications for PMs (about the only thing I get email notifications for).

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    *Sigh*

The good news is that Elasticsearch is now running again. The bad news is it looks like we started getting connection errors and timeouts to the mail server around the same time yesterday (well after I'd gone offline). I've emailed Philip and Grahame but as they are US-based (and it's Easter) it may be awhile before it's fixed. It's board-wide - not just you.

Edit - also posting is real slow for me right now. Not sure if it's related or just an issue on my end.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Update - Philip and Grahame are working on the mail server issue. I've added Ramza to our ongoing email conversation as I'll be heading offline shortly.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We're reasonably confident at this time* that the issue has been sorted out, but we're keeping an eye on it.

*No new server errors, tests seem to be working properly, that kind of thing.

6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Emails do indeed appear to be working again. Thanks! :D

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yep - I got an email overnight for a conversation reply and there are no new error messages in the server log this morning. I've let Philip and Grahame know.

8. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am not getting email notifications for my watched threads again...

Sue

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Have you checked your spam folder? I'm getting emails just fine, including for your post right here.

10. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    Thanks jc. Yes, I always check the junk mail folder. Now the odd thing is I DID received an email notification regarding your response in this folder. I also just received an email notification for a response that I had to a PM I sent. It appears what I am not getting are email replies to updates in the fan fiction stories forums that I have flagged as watched. I see, when I login to the site, an alert that an update has been made. I have looked over my account setting numerous times and can't spot anything that I missed.

11. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Have you double-checked that emails are enabled for those threads? It sounds like emails accidentally got disabled for those threads. I've had that happen when I accidentally unwatched a thread and then rewatched it in Tapatalk, which only watches threads without email notifications.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

12. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    jc, Thanks to you I think I may have found the setting. Am I correct that in my watched threads I need to check each box and then go down to the bottom of the screen which has a drop down box and I then need to select enable email?

13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Correct. Emails have to be enabled on a per thread basis, and they default to disabled unless you explicitly say otherwise.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

14. jedi1952

Apr 15, 2007
    Gosh jc, I don't know how to thank you! You are wonderful!

jcgoble3 likes this.