main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Embedded Video Heavy] ITT We Discuss Who Did The Song Better

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Mar 20, 2018.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This is a thread to compare the same songs performed by different artists, and discuss who did the song better and why. I'll start out with...

Compared to

For me, there is no comparison. Cash's version is far more powerful than the original by Nine Inch Nails. This doesn't take away from Reznor's original. It feels like someone who feels shame and self-loathing after the most recent of many benders; but the youth in his voice holds some hope that this was his "moment of clarity" that will inspire him to change his life. The Johnny Cash version OTOH, is much more poignant. It has the tone of someone who has looked over the sum total of his life, and feels a lifetime's worth of regret. In this version, he is pondering all the awful things done over the course of his life, while at the same time lamenting that it is far too late to change. Reznor's version is shame over one moment too many, while Cash's version is of bitter regret over an entire (long) lifetime wasted. Of course, there is the additional emotional weight that this was the last song released by Johnny Cash before he died, so there is that.

Feel free to post your own comparisons, and we can banter back and forth about all of them :cool:[face_coffee]

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    My wife and I were discussing this very song the other day, and came to the same conclusion; Cash is king.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Jeez, kicking it off with the "Hurt" cover debate? This is already harder than Sophie's choice.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Easy:
    The nurse who loved me - A Perfect Circle vs Failure

Hard:
    Hooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede vs B.J. Thomas

Even though Failure wrote the song, I like A Perfect Circle's version better.

Hooked on a Feeling is more a mood thing. Sometimes I don't want the "oooga chaka" of Blue Swede and it gets me pumped up. Sometimes I just want to hear Mr. Thomas's beautiful voice.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Here's another one...

Compared to

But then I also heard about...

@Ramza THIS is the "Sophie's Choice" for me :p There's soooo much emotion in each of these versions. The rawness of Chance's voice gives it enough emotional "oomph" to at least stand in the same proverbial room as George Michael and Stevie Wonder.

Wow, though! Such heavy songs on the first day of Spring! Maybe I need to go outside for awhile...:p

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    As much as I adore Dolly Parton, her version of "I will always love you" is pretty mild and fell under the radar.

However, Whitney Houston's version of the song just crushed the Billboard charts. Whitney's big voice and range definitely carried the song to the top of the charts. So much so, that people wanted to be nominated for an Oscar not knowing it was a remake.

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think for "Hurt" the Cash version is the best version but I like the NIN version better, if that makes sense.

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Speaking of "The Man in Black," his song I Walk the Line is a fun tune. A song you could tap your feet to.

I live the band "Live" cover of Johnny Cash's I Walk the Line much better than the original because of the changes in the arrangements and modern alternative rock take on the song. The spin gives the song a bit more drama and less folksy. Alternative rock is my jam.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    For me NIN's version of 'Hurt' is great, but Cash's version speaks to me more. A song that Cash didn't write, that originated in a completely different music genre for Cash's spoke more about his life than a lot of the tributes to him that came out after his death. The video only enhances that feeling.

10. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000

Unpopular opinion: I prefer the original recorded by The Family (trivia: The Family features Susannah Melvoin, the twin sister of Prince & the Revolution guitarist Wendy Melvoin. I'm like "there are two of them?!?" :eek:=P~)

Also, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find the original version of "I Feel 4 U" by Prince, to compare to Chaka Khan's version

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I think I have to go with the conventional wisdom and say I prefer the Cash version of Hurt. I like Reznor's version too and it plays better as the final song on The Downward Spiral than as a separate song, if that makes any sense; it really fits in with the album and its deliberate anti-climax. But Cash is just so raw and the soundscape Rubin fashions is so bleak and grim.

I like Dolly Parton's version of I Will Always Love You. It's more restrained and the emotion feels more genuine to me. She doesn't have the strength of Whitney Houston, but I just reject this notion that every song needs to be turned into a super-intense arena-epic. Maybe this song is best when it's about a quiet emotion, something Houston never encountered in her whole life apparently. The song is, in my opinion, meant to be bittersweet, not "screaming at the top of my lungs" posturing. I mean, I'll still sing along with the Houston version, but Parton's version is, you know, way more nuanced and emotional.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Talk Talk's "It's my life" is definitely a song reflective of the new wave sounds of the 80's with the strong electronic keyboard and somewhat whiny sounding vocals. As such, it's a classic.

No Doubt's modern take on the song was wonderful as they made it their own with more emphasis on the beats of the bass guitar and drums. Additionally, they did a wonderful job giving the original vibes.

In this matchup, I have to say No Doubt did it better. But, I bias towards No Doubt.

Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    As soon as I saw this theadt title I thought of Hurt. And yes, Johnny Cash did it better. He had a lifetime of woes, but crucially also then had great years. So he actually knew very well what regret was. Having read both his autobiographies, I know he regretted things from his youth and really would have done things differently if he could start again. He had grown into an incredibly wise man by then.

Honestly, this entire thread could be Johnny Cash vs. someone else's version and I'd pick Cash 9/10 times. Yes he's my favorite artist ever, but this is why. He really understood the stories within each song and made you truly feel them.

Also let's be honest, his Hurt has the best music video of all time. It helps.

Hurt is the song that made me really pay attention to Johnny Cash as a teenager. There's a good reason. Cash all the way on this one.

The minor key soft rock here seems like a pat way to do a reinterpretation of a song, sorry. To me it misses the actual tone and point of the song. It's an earnest song, a song about trying to keep a promise. But it ought to stay earnest in my mind. When it goes dark it frankly loses that meaning, IMHO.

As for "I Will Always Love You", I will definitely side with the Dolly crowd here. I agree it's more authentic. Whitney feels like she's on a grand movie soundtrack, Dolly sounds like she's in a Nashville bar singing this sincerely.

Fun fact, this song isn't about romantic love as written. It was about her longtime business/creative partner, whom she would no longer be working with. To me somehow that makes it more unique and sweet.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I recently visited the Johnny Cash museum in Nashville and the last room in the exhibit featured elements from the Hurt video, such as his ring and the actual chair he sat in. Plus they had the music video on loop.

Now for my pick-

It's really hard to top the Beatles when they're at their best, but somehow Joe Cocker managed to do just that. He utterly transformed a kind of jolly upbeat tune into this powerfully soulful ballad, completely making it his own thing.

I do love the Ringo version, but the Cocker version is just in a league of its own.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh the Cocker version. Hands down for me. First time I listened to it, it was the theme song for The Wonder Years, and I've loved it ever since. It's similar to Cash and Hurt, where Cocker put all his soul and emotion into that song, despite not being the original artist.

16. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I believe I read that the first time Trent Reznor heard Cash's cover of "Hurt" he instantly knew that it wasn't his song anymore. That kinda speaks volumes. That's not to disparage the original though. It's interesting to listen to them back-to-back and compare the same lyrics coming from the mouth of a young man and a man at the end of his life. Changes the entire context.

David Bowie's classic "Heroes" has been remade any number of times. The Wallflowers had the most commercial success of those remakes, and their version has slick commercial appeal (It was used in Roland Emmerich's Godzilla [face_plain]), but it lacks soul. Bowie contemporary Peter Gabriel did manage to both do it justice and make it his own w/his version (recently featured in S2 of Stranger Things), but for me, nothing beats the original.

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I see the point of Parton's version being more intimate than Houston's. And maybe it's my nostalgia talking, but I prefer the original version of It's My Life. Nothing against No Doubt, though.

For your consideration:

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    CCR, by a long shot. They sound like they're singing. Ike and Tina just sound like they're yelling. They do have a lot of energy, but it's not very musical.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Proud Mary's one of those where it depends on my mood which version I like to hear.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    CCR. A solo Tina version and we could talk. But I despise Ike. Also, I don't like his singing.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I don't think anyone could beat Bowie with that particular song. Though I do greatly enjoy the version Postmodern Jukebox did that features in some Heineken commercials.

Some of Seu Jorge's covers from Life Aquatic are pretty good too.

22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Huh. I prefer Turner’s version. CCR’s version sounds too “laid back” for my tastes.

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Cash over NIN for me.

Hooked on a Feeling - I also adore BJ Thomas' voice and his version hooks me right in the heart.

Whitney over Dolly - that twang in Dolly's voice always turns me off.

Proud Mary - that's a tough one as I love both versions.

I will admit I don't remember hearing this song until I got into Jeff Buckley, but he makes the song special and it's not even my favorite song of his (it's Grace- one of my top 5 songs)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Juke Skywalker and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I just posted Voodoo Child in what are you listening to thread recently. As much as I love Jimi Hendrix, I was floored at how great Stevie Ray Vaughn's cover was. I like SRV's better, he plays with such emotion.

Stevie...

Jimi...

--

Heroes...will always be David Bowie for me. Though I like the Peter Gabriel cover.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm a huge Leonard Cohen fan and a fan of his vocals, not just his songwriting. But on Hallelujah, Buckley is just . . . breathtaking. It's a perfect example of taking a song to the next level. Love Cohen, but Buckley's version of Hallelujah is just beyond reproach; it's as near perfect as music gets.

As to Heroes, that's just Bowie's song. Gabriel's version is . . . wow, I actually think it's pretty bad. Bowie's original is just so brain meltingly epic. It's one of those songs that just moves me intensely every time I hear it.

And I have to go with the Ike & Tina version of Proud Mary. I'm usually not a fan of those "let's take a mid-tempo song and just turn it into a riotous meltdown" covers but the last half of Ike & Tina's version is just so visceral. Pure ecstatic frenzy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018