Beyond "embers, lie sleeping", Victorian Quote Roulette - Luke/Mara vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4

?embers, lie sleeping?

Genre: Romance, Angst
    Rating: PG
    Time Frame: LoTJ
    Characters: Luke/Mara, Ben

Summary: There are moments, odd moments, where he thinks that he may be haunted . . . and he encourages it.

Notes: Written for the Victorian Quote Roulette. My quote number fourty-five landed me with a deliciously Gothic quote in nature, and what better way to pay tribute to that than a ghostly sort of haunting? [face_love]

To pull off that, please take into consideration that I have not actually read FoTJ (out of principle), and I am going just on gleaned facts on the plot. ;)

That aside, enjoy the read! [:D]

Disclaimer: Nothing is mine, but for the words.

"I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt; I fear; I think strange things, which I dare not confess to my own soul."
    ~ Bram Stoker, ?Dracula?

You wait.

It is a waiting that redefines patience; that makes time pass as though through immense walls of water, rolling over your skin with its cool presence, but so far away from any tangible sensation that you yearn to surface just to feel the burn of the sun, sharp against your skin.

Months have passed, long months in which the world around you has spun on its axis. It is not a world that you recognize, and in the years to come, you know there will be little you recognize even still. This is not the life you had built ? built with her ? this was an echoing and intimidating thing of a galaxy that you had bleed for ? fought tooth and nail for. This new entity was something belonging to those who would come after you in its entirety.

And you are weary of it.

While you perform your mission, your exile, for the good of the many; a part of you travels just for yourself. You feel your age in your journey; something ancient amongst a sea of fledgling lights that strove to be stars. Amongst the small parts of the galaxy, with just your son at your side (beautiful and full and so, so her at times that it made you ache) you feel as close to the true rest you long for as you could be. It is silent out here, so many simple lives intertwining with a mysticism that ignored the foolish turnings of the rest of the galaxy.

You could easily of become lost out here ? a part of you thinks you know how the one whose steps you are tracing erred so grievously before.

You are on the planet of Rostla Vi with Ben, sleeping out under the stars on route to a temple or some monastery that Jacen had stopped at before. You tried to reach out, wondering if you could feel your nephew's presence lingering on the rock, but it was hard to touch the dark of night while you were pointing above and showing the light of the stars to your son.

The names of the constellations rolled easily off of your tongue, and the stories and the mythologies behind them even easier still. Mara had loved to do this with you, you remember, challenging your knowledge even as she lost herself in the fantasies of the names. For everything hard about her, there was a part equally soft, and you had cherished those moments that let you see both parts of her whole and tarnished - a work of art that only you had fully appreciated.

You become silent often, lately. Mid-sentence you break off, your thoughts lost themselves as your tongue tripped on your words. Your mind was heavy with memories in those moments, and you thank the Force and everything else you can think of that your son is so understanding. Ben was all your patience with Mara's insight, and his presence was already a soothing one in the Force ? one that you hoped was strong enough to withstand the darkness of the years to come.

Thoughts of the future were harder to entertain than memories, and so you turned your mind away from them. The future was not yours ? could never be hers ? and so you find yourself so often in the />
  2. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Lovely title and context for the quote. =D=

I adore the memories Luke held of Mara -- full of warmth and teasing and them in the rain -- ;) You know I have a weakness for sweethearts in the rain :D :D :D

She left little clues and neither one of them realized it at the time, of course. [face_thinking]

LOTF and FOTJ become poignant and moving backdrops in the hands of skilled fanfic authors -- but I rank them as sheer AUs :p

:)

Thanks for the awesome read and the uber!wonderful challenge!!!

[:D]
  3. Tarsier Force Ghost

star 3
    That was awesome! Beautiful and touching. I'm not going to try to find a favorite line because all of it was pretty much perfect. I must admit I was a bit skeptical of the second person at first, but I think it really worked well.

=D=

I 100% agree with this. :cool:
  4. Irish_Jedi_Jade Force Ghost

star 4
    She was merely an ember that waited for a breath.

And someday, you two would blaze on eternally.

OH! :eek: :_| That was the most wonderfully beautiful, post-Sacrifice fic I've EVER read!!!!! i can't even tell you how amazing that was...WOW!!! Gosh...i'm just bubbling over, holy cow! I wanted to jump up and cheer when she was finally there!!! So absolutely perfect....thank you!!! That was fantastic, a beautiful response to the quote...just perfect!

Well done girl! You've blown me away again!

Huggles,
    [face_good_luck] Irish
  5. Master_Jaina1011 Force Ghost

star 4
    Glad I checked this before I left...cuz I almost thought I replied to it!!!

So bittersweet yet so poignant. I loved the way you brought together the flashbacks and the present. And I would have to say you've got the plotline of FOTJ pretty good for not reading it. (Trust me I'm just as frustrated as anyone else)

I read it and it brought tears to my eyes (along with entertainment during a very boring night at work).

I loved it! [:D]
  6. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4
    This is one of those times where all I can say is "Dammit, Del Rey!" and cry. :(

Lovely story.
  7. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    I keep saying that I'm not going to read anymore L/M viggies, but then I give in. I'm so glad I did. This is lovely!

Bravo! =D=
  8. MiralukaJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Fantastic. Definitely fantastic.
  9. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    I second that! ;)
    =D=@};-[:D]
  10. SithGirl132 Force Ghost

star 4
    Awwww! So adorable- and so bittersweet. You really do write second person well, and I love the little memories interspersed. And a Dracula quote too. Great job!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.