main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Embrace the Dark: A response to the Newbie "First" Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MegumiFuu, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MegumiFuu

MegumiFuu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2003
    Title: Embrace the Dark
    Time: ROTS AU
    Genre: AU / Drama
    Summary: A Jedi embraces the Dark for the first time.
    Note: This was for the first challenge, in which we were encouraged to write about a first kiss, race, ect. This had started out as a sweet, fluffy look at the first time Beru held Luke? but it turned into this. Go figure.

Many thanks to my wonderful Master Kelia for her pointers [:D]

----------

Before, he had never welcomed the Dark into his heart. In his youth, his anger had almost gotten him rejected by the Jedi so he took great pains to keep it in check. His many meditations with his beloved Master over the years gave him the ability to control his emotions so that the Dark was kept at bay.

Therefore the first time the Dark Side had touched him it was an unconscious act, for it was when he was overwrought with grief. The only parent he had ever known, had ever loved, was dying. He lost all control and allowed the Dark Side to flow through him when he heard that most cherished individual take in a wet, ragged breath that rattled in their chest. All he knew afterwards was that his emotions had empowered him and allowed him to avenge this most terrible of deaths.

His Masters, due to the turmoil of the time, overlooked this encounter with the Dark. He suspected that Yoda knew something; the little master had looked at him with sad eyes when they had next met, but it was never spoken of between them.

He flirted with the Dark Side over the course of the ensuing years. On Geonosis it lapped against his senses as he watched his fellow Jedi fall in the bloody sands of the arena. When his brother lay injured on the hanger floor, his emotions had surged forth, causing him to lose control. He wasn?t able to gain control of his violent emotions until he was lying on the ground next to his brother, both of them broken and bleeding.

Dooku and Ventress knew best how to break through the calm façade he projected to bring his baser instincts to the surface. Each time the Team encountered the Separatist leaders, it took more and more control on his behalf, despite the calming presence of his brother, to keep his emotions in check. These, however, still remained mere brushes with that forbidden side of the Force, paling in comparison to that first experience.

When he was standing over Dooku, crossed blades at his neck, there was no Darkness in his heart. When he scissored the blades, he was not exacting revenge for the multitude of injuries dealt to him by this man, nor for those dealt to his brother or Padmé. As a Jedi it was his job to end the war, a war that had almost cost his brother his life on too many occasions. Taking out the enemy leader when the opportunity presented itself was nothing more than a strategic move on his part.

The Dark Side did not swell within him again until he rushed into Chancellor Palpatine?s office and saw Mace Windu about to run the old man through with his lightsaber. Anger filled him instantly at the sight; Mace had said he was only going to arrest Palpatine, not murder him. He needed the Sith Lord alive so that he could learn how to save those he loved. Palpatine had promised him the knowledge that would save Padmé and his brother from the horrific deaths that filled his dreams each night.

He saw his brother fall beneath the blades of Grievous.

He saw Padmé in pain, crying out for those she loved.

Acting on instinct, he allowed the Dark to guide his actions and struck down Master Windu.

No, the first time he truly accepted the Dark Side was as he marched into the Jedi Temple. He consciously called upon all the anger and grief that he had once ignored and allowed it to feed into his Darkness. He allowed the Dark to reach into him, to burn away what little Jedi control he had left.

He gladly welcomed the Dark into his heart as he cut down the first Jedi that stood in his way.

Under the sable cowl of his cloak, a chilling smile spread across the face of Obi-Wan Kenobi. As long as it was within h

2. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    I definitely was surprised by the ending. I had not expected it to turn out the way it did, so I enjoyed the suspense. =D=

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Love the twist at the end. Never saw it coming!! =D=

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice job on this Padawan.

The twist at the end was just perfect!

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow. Nice story. I wasn't really expecting where it went. Great job! :D But I could see it happen.

6. jaina_clan_solo

jaina_clan_solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2005
    I think that Obi-Wan turning to the darkside was the last thing I expected in this. Very well done! I like the way you subtlely changed the events of RotS to create this AU

jcs

7. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    *is speechless* That was unexpected... Obi.

Nice trick there, making us think it was Anakin.

Beautifully written MegumiFuu! =D= =D= [:D]

~Misha

8. Daenarrah

Daenarrah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2005
    Woah! Didn't see that coming. You completely lead me to believe it was Anakin. I was certain it was until the end. Great twist there.

This was the first time he embraced the Dark. Until Anakin and Padmé were safe, it would not be the last.

These two lines, just wow. I can't get them out of my head.

9. Darth_Vastor

Darth_Vastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2005
    What a great twist!

You did an excellent job portraying the darkness and how it consumed Obi-Wan. I wasn't expecting that ending, but it was all the more enjoyable once I got there!

Those last two lines were the best. Excellent work!

10. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Yikes, nice twist at the end that I didn't see coming.

Dark Obi-Wan is a great concept that really shone through in this fic. Great job and keep up the good work.

11. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Oh, great job - I liked the twist at the end!

Well done. =D=

12. MegumiFuu

MegumiFuu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2003
    Luna_Nightshade: I'm glad you liked the suspense, I know I did :D

Healer_Leona: That's what I was aiming for; I'm glad it surprised you.

KELIA: Thanks Master! Your input really helped me to develop this more.

Jaya Solo: But I could see it happen. I could see it happening too... ::shivers::

jaina_clan_solo: It was a bit tough changing the events but still keeping things vague until the end. I'm glad to hear that it worked!

DreamingIce: Thank you for the lovely words. Nice trick there, making us think it was Anakin. That's what I was aiming for [face_devil]

Daenarrah: These two lines, just wow. I can't get them out of my head They are what spawned this. They just popped into my head when I was contemplating the challenge when I was getting ready for work. I ended up developing everything else around those lines.

Darth_Vastor: I blame your evil Obi-Wan for this. :D

whiskers: I'm happy to hear you thought Dark Obi-Wan worked as he's a mite difficult to handle at times. Thanks for the review.

Kestrel_Kenobi: Thank you! I'm glad you liked the twist as it was fun to write.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.