main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Emergency Costume Help Meeting- Postponed to Saturday, March 15th

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Sal made a suggestion that seemed to me to be a great idea.

With the MidSouth Con only a month away, many of us may be scrambling to get costumes together. Of course, gathering the materials is the easy part- putting the blasted thing together is not.

If we were to all get together in one location, perhaps we could help each other out by not only providing on-site advice, but also by helping each other in the areas where we are strongest.

If anyone is interested, give me some sort of idea of when would be a convenient time to do this. If enough interest is demonstrated, we'll try and schedule it ASAP.

-Tim

2. sheja_mamid

sheja_mamid Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2001
    I would be happy to loan out my Barris Offee costume if someone needs it since I will be working that day. Sorry Tim....for females only :)

3. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    Anybody know where I could find a pattern for a Han Bespin costume, that's the only one I can wear, anything else would be....too easy. I'd rather be a fat Han than a fat Jedi anyday.

4. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Well I will look in my links for costuming on finding a solo pattern but I really didnt expect that anyone would be dressed as something other than a Jedi... Not that there is anything wrong with that. Dale are you going to make your costume from scratch? or are you going to accent existing clothes to match a solo costume? Do you have the boots and blaster with holster? Let us know and we will see how we can help you get it together.

5. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    I have nothing, I figured I'll start from scratch. I don't plan on having it for next month.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    You could probably just add some Blood Stripes to the right pair of slacks. As for the shirt and vest, I detect a trip to Hancock's Fabrics in the Force.

I wonder if you can get patterns online?

7. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    My Jedi costume needs help....well, more than help. But I really want a Bespin Leia costume. Anyone have a link or something?

8. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    you guys better get to work! it took me a year to build my vader costume to what it is now and it took 3 months to make my kids zam and jawa costumes.

9. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    ohh, now that sounds like fun. I'm actually working on a Grey Jedi outfit. Black pants with high boots grey tunic, black leather tabards and long black arm slit cloak with hood. heh...me like leather. Let's figure a day to get out and sit down together in a ...*sigh* sewing circile...someone bring coffee too so I don't fall asleep and sew my arm up in the machine...

10. Aravis_Antilles

Aravis_Antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2003
    Fat chance of you not falling asleep, darling.

I'm working on Aravis Antilles' costume. Does anyone have an approximation of a stormtrooper utility belt? It's the one thing I'm Missing.

Joy

11. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    what do you need to know about the belt.ive got one right behind me.

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Anybody want to suggest a time and place?

13. TheDarknessX

Nov 3, 2002
    Any plans yet for the meeting? I would volunteer but I dont have a sewing machine and my parents are getting ready to go out of town so its been hectic around here. Do we have any volunteers?

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    What about next Saturday - Tim's house? 8-} Okay, only Tim's house if he wants to... I have no costume, and won't be going to St. Jude, but I'll come to the emergency meeting cheer you on....

Why don't you guys do it on Saturday and invite Skip?

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    We can do it here, but we'd have to do it early. We have to leave by 6pm Saturday night to make it to my sister's suprise 40th birthday party.

16. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    yeah i wish they would have scheduled the st.judes trip on a day that people can actually attend!
    people work!noon on a weekeday isnt very convenient for anybody.
    and the fact that theres not a single 501st member in memphis and that we(501st) will be driving at least 4 hours away would tell you that we could barely make a noon deadline even if i was able to hit the road first thing friday morning.

but in the con's defense,i had checked into visiting a hospital here in nashville and they dont do this kind of stuff on the weekends.apparently thats "family time".they dont want visitors coming in and disturbing that.I disagree with that policy on events like this, i would think that this would be something the entire family would enjoy.

its the hospitals loss.

17. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Yeah, I won't be able to make it because of the time, but hopefully next year. And hopefully my costume will be complete by then.

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Skip: I will actually have to defend the hospital in this case. St Jude schedules many field trips for their patients on Saturdays. Considering that these poor kids have been stuck in a sterile, droll atmosphere for a week or more, then I can't blame them in the least for making us come on Friday. (And having had a family member treated there, I can understand even more.)
    While it's cool to show off our costumes to the public, we have to remember our true purpose for the trip- the kids. I know it's inconvenient for us, but let's put the kids first in this case.

19. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    OK- if we have the meeting here, it will have to start pretty early. We're talking no later than 10am. Bring y'all's sewing machines and material and come on down. We have one sewing machine. I may have access to another one, but I'm not sure yet. I also have all kinds of crap somewhere that can be costume stuff, but I'll have to find it. We have a Hancocks Fabrics 10 minutes away in one direction, and a WalMart 10 minutes away in the other direction, just in case.

20. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I dont have a problem with the policies of the hospital.I merely think that this is an opportunity that the hospital doesnt get often.
    if you are saying that "every single" weekend they get "every single" patient out and away then i wouldnt agree.I would bet that there are plenty of weekends that nothing is going on,probably most weekends.And there are lots of patients that do not leave on the weekends.Why cant they bring everyone down to the cafeteria or something perhaps show them a movie(starwars) and then we all come out to see them.the families would all love to see that,not just the kids.Most of these kids have brothers and sisters,they would enjoy it.Plus i havent met a parent yet that doesnt know who we are.
    And how often does the hospital have guests such as us?
    The answer is never!We(501st) have never been there.Though its a wonderful gesture that michael sheard goes to see them wouldnt that experience be multiplied by having the movie characters there as well?Those kids wouldnt recognize him on the street.Unless your a starwars fan you wouldnt either.Im just saying that when an opportunity comes up they should take it.Basically the hospital is saying "if you cant come during the week we dont want you"

I would prefer them to say that particular weekend was already planned for something else and could we do it another time.but thats not the case.
    Were not even asking for money,its completely free for the hospital.
    And if the hospital does do things with the patients on the weekends then what are they doing?alot of these kids cant go to the park,they cant go to the mall,alot of them cant go outside!Again,why not let us come and do something fun with the kids and really brighten up some lives.

Last year i was working with the Make A Wish foundation to try to help make a wish come true.The little boy's wish was to meet darth vader.By the time we got it all worked out we lost him.he died suddenly at thanksgiving.It was hard on those of us going to see him because we knew we were what he wanted.He was 4yrs old and all he knew was star wars.We would have been his ultimate dream come true,and we were only weeks away from making that happen.

Until youve been in one of these costumes like mine and seen the way people come up to you then you wont understand what its like.children "do not" understand that I am not the real vader!my costume is so convincing that the older kids think im the actor from the movie,younger kids think im the real vader from the movie.Most never thought they would see anything like that,EVER.
    Only kids over 10 begin to question.they assume your the actor in a movie used suit.Then some older than that will question the whole thing.the younger kids just dont question it.when they see me and the troopers ,we are the real deal.

I know how the kids and families would react to seeing us come visit.ive seen the faces and felt the hugs.some little kids just stand there and stare in disbelief.I still think that its the hospital's loss and therefore the kid's loss.

I come to memphis numerous times a year.If the hospital was to want us to come on a weekend then i could work it out.Im 100% in favor of helping them out,so dont think im saying this stuff out of negativity.

see you guys soon!very soon!
    skip

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Skip: I completely understand, and appreciate, your zeal and fervor in this matter, but, unfortunately we have no say in this matter. We are to be guests of St. Jude, and therefore we are subject to their schedule. As guests, we must be gracious to our esteemed host.

Unfortunately, this really isn't the forum to discuss this matter. I take the blame for this in that I should have responded to your post in a private message.

Perhaps things can be changed next year, but that will be at the discretion of both St. Jude and the board of MidSouthCon. Maybe with a bit of gentle persuasion, next year will be more convenient.

Now, to the subject at hand: Who's in for Saturday morning? I'll make coffee and get out the Fruit Loops.

22. Obi_J_Kenobi

Obi_J_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2002
    I'm in....*nodds head*

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Is it dangerous to mix a kegger and a sewing circle?

24. TheDarknessX

Nov 3, 2002
    I NEED HELP!!! The table cloth still needs some help so even if you dont plan on making a costume for the con please come to the meeting anyways because I will need plenty of help with the tablecloth!!! ThanX

25. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Being that I can't sew should I still come? 8-}

Seriously, I haven't sewed a day in my life, I was a tomboy, but I'd be glad to come and hold corners, whatever.

Tim, all set on LCD projector. New DVD Player for my laptop came yesterday and I installed it, and I'm bringing the really small (excellent pixelation) LCD. Just tell me when, Friday night?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.