main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Emergency Costume Help Meeting- Postponed to Saturday, March 15th

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aravis_Antilles

Aravis_Antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2003
    I'm so sorry I won't be able to make it! {Sob} My parents are doing the "family time" thing before I run off to the SCA over Spring Break...

Skip: My persona uses a stormtrooper utility belt as her belt, that's all. I wanted to know if anyone had one I could borrow for the con...

Joy

2. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Joy: Sorry you can't make it. Enjoy your family time.

Rhonda: Yep- Friday night the 28th. Think we should do a practice run?

I'm working on getting sewing machine number two for Saturday. If anyone has one to bring, please do so. Also, don't forget that you'll need thread as well as scissors. I have the bobbins for the sewing machine, but I may be short on straight pins.

Oh, and Hancock's is having a sale on Simplicity patterns. They're only $1.99 right now. I bought an extra pattern for a Jedi robe and tunic if anyone needs one. I also broke down and bought extra stuff to make myself a Jedi costume. (I absolutely love clearance tables! Nothing like paying $20.00 for the material for my costume- and I found great fabrics in colors that, even though they fit the earth-tone color scheme of the Jedi, aren't the usual tan and brown!!)

Oh, and how early is too early on Saturday?

3. Star_Blazer_M31

Star_Blazer_M31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2003
    I can't make it, either. I have a good friend who's off for two weeks from the Marines, and I want to spend as much time with him as I can before he's shipped out again.

I'm in quite a rut, because I want to go in costume all three days...a different costume each day. >_<

My main problem is finding a darn cape...and an old trenchcoat that will fit me and that I can mutilate. I'm pretty sure I can handle most of the rest...

I'll be looking around for supplies this week.

-Grace*

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Grace: Get a pattern and several yards of fabric in a 60" width. I think you'll find that it'll be easier than trying to retrofit something.

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Bad news, guys!!! :(

We have the plague here at our house. I've got a stomach flu and both of our kids are sick.

Tim has managed to stay healthy and still wants to get together and work on costumes. It would be great if someone could volunteer their place for tomorrow. Or we could plan for next Saturday here at our house. I promise to have the place fumigated by then, LOL.

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    If anyone is willing to host this thing, then I'll gladly trek all of my gear to your place. Trust me, you don't want to come here to the ward. You may not leave in the condition in which you arrived!! Unfortunately, it's off for now unless someone else can agree to host.

I apologize for the last-minute cancellation.

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    As you all can tell from the new title of this thread, we will be having our costume meeting next Saturday, March 15th at noon. That gives everyone a week to get their things together.

Early arrivals will be welcomed- I know that costuming can be a real pain in the... er.. a real detailed process, so anyone who wants to can get here at any time after 10am, come on down!

I'll try to arrange for another table or two, as well as maybe another sewing machine for us to use. That way, everyone will have plenty of access to a machine.

Remember to bring the following:

Pattern (recommended- if possible)- It would help you to go ahead and figure out what size you need and have the pattern cut before the meeting. That way you aren't wasting an hour on the pattern when you could be sewing. There are two Simplicity patterns that I've found that could be useful: #9887 (Cloak D can be modified to be a Jedi robe) and #5840 (Jedi Tunics and other robes/cloaks). Hancock's has these on sale right now for $1.99 ea. I have one extra #5840 if anyone wants it.

Fabric- If you can't figure out what you need, have the folks at the fabric store help you out. (Also, if you have a pattern, it tells you what to how much to buy for each garment.) Keep in mind the color scheme you're going for, as well as the way the fabric hangs (or wears). Most of the cheap $1.88/yd. material you find will not do for a robe (it's too stiff). Hancock's is having a truckload sale right now, and has some great fabrics for 50% off (which could be anywhere from $1.75/yd. to $9.99/yd.). I saw about five other combinations of fabrics that I could've used for my robes. Remember that you can do your own color scheme and not stick to what we've seen in the movies. Also, remember that vinyl is a great substitute for leather. So if you want to make belts, vests, pouches, boots or any other accessories, you can find vinyls remnants for cheap, too. ($3.88/yd) It comes in white, too!

If you're going to need to make boots- find a vinyl texture and color that will best re-create the style you want. Also, I recommend buying a cheap pair of shoes from Payless to use as the base of the boot.

Thread to match your fabrics.

An upholsteror's needle, for hand-sewing vinyl.

Pins and needles.

Snaps, hooks, buttons, velcro, elastic, zippers, or anything else you need for your costume.

Scissors- good and sharp ones.

If anyone needs small pieces of wood for their costume, let me know. If anyone wants to make a friction-catch styled lightsaber holder, I can get the catches, too.

Paints, or anything else needed to decorate the costume. I have one hot glue gun. If anyone has another one, please bring it.

See y'all on Saturday!!!

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Remember when I said that if you cut the pattern before the meeting that you'd have an hour that you'd be sewing instead of cutting a pattern....

Let me amend that. It just took me 2 1/2 hours to cut Traci's costume pattern. I still have to smooth it out with a warm iron, wash the fabric and iron it, pin the pattern to the fabric, and cut the fabric.

So, let's back things up and let me re-state what I said earlier...

Try to have the fabric cut out if you can- especially if this will be the only access you will have to a sewing machine. Right now, I'm recommending that you consider making the costume one size larger than the directions say. Their pictures seem to show a tunic that is pretty well fit, and is not loose and flowing like movie garments.

For more information on sewing, check out Sewing.org.

And you can get a better look at the Simplicity patterns I mentioned above (#s 5840 & 9887) at Simplicity.com.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I've got sewing machine #3 for Saturday!!!

Why do I feel like we're playing "Trading Spaces: The Home Version"??

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Who all is in for this Saturday's meeting?

11. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'll be there for nothing else but to spend quality time with my SW buddies!! :)

What time are we doing it early or later?

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Officially... At noon.

Unofficially... Anytime starting at 10am for those who want to get an early start.

Somebody bring some Fruit Loops, please. I'll supply the coffee.

13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'll be at work tomorrow, so I'll just go ahead and say this now:

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This robe is making me CRAZY!!!! I had the stupid hem pinned & pressed BEAUTIFULLY last night only to discover that the spooty pattern has the front panels longer than the back and it wouldn't work! SHAVIT!!!!

And then there's this dang exposed seam in the front. :mad: Thankfully, my mom had an idea about how to fix that, now I've just got to see if I can make it work.

But y'all have fun tomorrow, y'hear? [face_mischief]

14. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Hey Tim I might be coming but I am not sure yet because my mom isnt feeling well but I might be able to talk her into coming with me if thats ok... Dont worry she isnt sick she is just have problems with a pinched nerve...

15. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    What time are we doing dry run and stuff this Sat.? Let me know... :)

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Early-to-mid afternoon is good for me. Sal is coming over to work on the table cover, but we haven't set a time for that yet.

We're still working on our costumes. I spent two-and-a-half hours at six different stores looking for boots to go with my costume. After a near-hit at the womens' shoe department of the Salvation Army (I was desperate, OK? And they were just a titch too small!!), I finally settled on a pair from WalMart. They're not as tall as I wanted, but they'll still do nicely. It was either that, or make my own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.