main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Emergency!/NPR Crossover] Hair On Fire - One post, Roy and Johnny - humor

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by ardavenport, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Hair On Fire
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: Sometime in the 1970's when everything was bad hair and polyester
    Genre: Emergency! - NPR fiction
    Characters: Real and not-so real voices
    Keywords: Emergency!
    Summary: Roy and Johnny reminisce about a decades old run that has somehow found its way onto a 21st century internet.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my speciality - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to Mark VII Productions, Inc., Universal Studios and whoever else owns the 1970's TV show Emergency!; I am just playing in their sandbox.

___ NPR ___
    Heard on Weekend Edition Sunday
    December 4, 2009
    Hannah Chapin talks to two of the unintentional stars of the latest youtube viral video, 'Hair On Fire'.

2009 National Public Radio. For personal, noncommercial use only. See Terms of Use. For other uses, prior permission required.

HANNAH CHAPIN, guest host: From Keyboard Cat to Susan Boyle, youtube has fostered a succession of popular viewing, but the latest hot video comes with a celebrity flare to it. And a blast from the past from the 70's. We have with us today, two of the stars of this latest youtube offering, Roy DeSoto of Torrence, California and John Gage of Tuba City, Arizona. But back in 1975 they were both fireman paramedics with the LA County Fire Department and on a sunny May afternoon they responded to a fire that, thanks to the internet, has managed to smolder on into the 21st century. Gentlemen, Welcome.

Mr JOHN GAGE: Hi there.

Mr ROY DESOTO: Thanks for inviting us.

CHAPIN: Now before we begin, I understand that you two were among the very first paramedics, not just in California, but in the whole country.

Mr DESOTO: Yep, I was in the first class. And I recruited Johnny for the second.

Mr GAGE: Yeah, he got me into it.

CHAPIN: Well, I have to ask what you think of all the changes that have happened since back then?

Mr DESOTO: Oh, it's fantastic. It's like night and day. Back then, we were still explaining to people just what a paramedic was. But now everyone just takes it for granted.

CHAPIN: So, what would you say is the biggest advance since then?

Mr DESOTO: 9-1-1. Hands down, the best thing. I mean, back then, if you had a problem, you weren't always sure who to call - - the fire department, the police or an ambulance. But now, you just call 9-1-1 and they dispatch whatever they need.

Mr GAGE: Oh, and cell phones! Can you imagine what we could have done with those?

Mr DESOTO: Oh yeah! Back then, we had to lug around twenty pounds of biophone along with all the other stuff we had. We got a workout just from carrying our equipment around. Now, everything's smaller and lighter. It's terrific.

CHAPIN: Well, we're about to see some of it now. If you could give us some introduction about what happened back then.

Mr DESOTO: Oh, it started out pretty simple really. Uh, Johnny do you want to - - -

Mr GAGE: You tell it way better than I do, Roy.

Mr DESOTO: Okay. We got the call for a fire. It turned out it was some kind of movie premiere and they had all kinds of fancy decorations and a big yellow drape over everything.

Mr GAGE: And they had fireworks.

Mr DESOTO: Yeah, it was some kind of tie-in with the movie.

CHAPIN: And the fireworks started the fire.

Mr DESOTO: Yeah, that happens with fireworks. Anyway, there weren't any structures involved, but that drape caught on fire and it fell down on a lot of people. The engine crew took care of the fire and we treated a lot of small burns. There weren't any really serious injuries; it was pretty routine really.

Mr GAGE: Except for all the movie stars.

Mr DESOTO: Oh, yeah. There were a lot of famous people there. Mark Harmon and Mariette Hartley and John Travolta, back before a some of them were all that famous.

Mr GAGE: Roy put a bandage on Cicely Tyson's arm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.