main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx ***Emergency Resolved*** -- PVC frame issue resolved!!! Thanks to Master_Duron, our savior!!!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Obey Wann, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    The SDCC folks have been pretty busy, and I found out today that they ran out of materials to make a frame for us and our table. So that means that we get to put something together in the next 26+ hours. [face_plain]

But we can do it!!! I'm sure with the wizards we have in the group, we can put something together quickly and easily. //crosses fingers//

Our banner will be 8' wide and 3 ' tall, and I believe the max height for the frame can be 8' tall. It'll obviously need to be self-supporting. And we'll have to figure out which vehicle can carry PVC pipes. We'll probably have to break it down into 4' sections and couple it in the middle if we're going to fit it into cars.

Sorry for the [face_plain] news, but last minute stuff is the name of the game, I guess. But at least we'll have a frame for future events. :)

So anyone have any ideas, connections, hook-ups, or about 30-40' worth of PVC laying about that they want to donate? ?[face_plain] I'm all ears. If not, we'll pool $$$ (again) and run off to the Home Depot closest to Void's and pick up everything we need and make it up tonight at the meeting.

2. Darth_Greedo

Darth_Greedo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 15, 2002
    I have about 15' I can donate if you want it!!!

3. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    DGredo: What diameter is it?

Looking at my rough sketch that just I did, it looks like we'll also need 2 - 90 degree adapters, 4 - "T" adapters, and 2 straight adapters, plus 40 feet of PVC. The adapters will probably ru about $10 or so, plus the cost of whatever pipe we need to buy.

I'm not sure what diameter would be best for this application. 1/2 is cheapest, but I'm betting that it would be too flimsy. 3/4 or 1" will probably best, but I'm not a PVC expert.

Thoughts?

Also, does anyone have one of those cool kid PVC cutters? If not, they're $14.97 at the Home Despot.

ED: Looks like 40' is what we'll need. We can break it down into 10, 4' complonents and fit it together with adapters.

4. Master_Duron

Master_Duron Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2002
    I have been doing a lot of sprinkler work lately so I have a ton of extra joints and connectors. I can run by Home Depot on the way home and pick up the supplies. I can probably put something toegether in less than a half hour. I also have a Nissan Xterra that can easily fit the pipes in.

5. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    //bows// You're awesome!!! Woohoo!!!

[Han]Situation normal. We're all fine here. how are you?[/Han]

What size pipe is it? Just curious. And are you going to be at the meeting tonight at Void's?

6. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    If not, I have to run out so I can meet somebody to pick stuff up.

7. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    With the dimensions you gave, it will be 8' wide, 8' tall with a horizontal pipe running 3' from the top. I will also make some sort of feet to keep it from falling over. I have PVC pipe cutters so it really wont take that long at at.

I do need to know where & when it needs to be taken. I am planning on making the meeting tonight.

Pipe size - PVC pipe really isnt that expensive. A 10' section is only about $1.50 - $3 depending on diameter. I have to see what size my adapters are and I will probably go with that diameter.

Is the banner going to have rings in the corner to tie it up?

8. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    I PM'd you my address, the meeting is at 7 pm tonight.

9. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Yes, the banner should have rings. I was going to bring my zip ties to secure it.

The quick design I did had 8' on top, both sides, and an additional 8' spar in the middle to help keep it stabilized, then use T fittings at the bottome with 4' lets pushed through it. Total pipe: 40 feet.

If everything was 4' sections, then it would work out fairly well, and just and would use the fittings to put it together.

I'll be picking up the banner at 5 today. Can't wait to see it!!!

10. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    Even if I have to buy all new supplies it shouldnt cost more than $20. No big deal. :)

11. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    [Wayne & Garth]We're not worthy! We're not worthy! We're not worthy![/Wayne & Garth]

You kick much @$$!!!!

12. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    I'm remembering when Alice Cooper stood up and assumed "the pose" in the theater to when we did that.

Now imagining Master Duron doing it at the meeting tonight :)

13. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    OBI For the actual frame part, Do you want it 8'x3' or 8'x4'? It doesnt matter to me. Its only measuring. :)

14. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Either way works, I think. I guess 8x3, just to match the banner would be best, but am not 100% sure.

I'd say to use your best judgement. :D

15. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    OB1 Do you still need that latex caulk?

I will do 8'x3' so the banner should fit snuggly.

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Yes, I still need the caulk and glue. Thanks! Now I just need to find the antenna...

17. Darth_Creamy

Darth_Creamy Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2002

Oops forgot about my sock.

18. Master_Duron

Apr 29, 2002
    OB1 I will bring the goodies tonight.

About the fliers, I live at 36th st. & Greenway and can pick them up.

19. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    MD --you are great! Could you coordinate with Liquido for the pickup?

I'm very happy about it, because it looks like we'll be giving away a lot of flyers and we'll need whatever we can get.

Void: Do you know if MrBunny has everything he needs for the flyers he is printing?

20. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    Sounded like he did last night. he came in and showed me the sheet.

21. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Excellent. :D

//checks off another box on the to-do list//

22. liquido

liquido Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    OK, Master_Duron should be picking up the fliers and spare paper this morning from me. Let me know if there's anything else I can do before sending you folks off to SDCC!

Have fun and do us proud. :)

23. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    The frame and the banner look awesome!!! Great job. :)

This weekend is going to be such a blast! See you in about 5 hours (not that I'm counting or anything).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.