main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Emerging from Shadows (Replies and Interlude 7/26)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Cushing's Admirer, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    i really like how tarkin's friends are there for him and are willing to listen it is good when friend's listen:D

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Intriguing interludes. I like the pacing of the zoom-in, zoom-out where important, broad events are accented by the smaller personal ones like Thimen and Vomkor introducing their younglings to Toru. I really liked that scene; it's particularly cute to me for some reason that Toru asks the young one's permission for naming.

Also, on a name nerd tangent ;) : it's kind of interesting to see the quality/trait names like Harmony are (apparently?) used for both sexes in their tradition. A while ago, I was surprised to read that the Puritan virtue names were used for males too; in modern times the only ones still used (like Charity, etc.) tend to be female-only in usage.

Tarkin's sudden reaction at the dinner -- worrying, but apparently they now have things in hand. Lucky that his friends understand what is going on -- and Toru is evidently familiar with something like these symptoms among others of his faith? Wonder if he was suppressing some issues with the unpleasant memories of his life for a while, and now that they have peace it's like a dam breaking. I'm interested to see what happens with his transfer to a more healing-related career.

Continuing to like the enhanced presence of aliens in this 'verse. It's neat that they're combining the expertise of species with common interests. Enjoyed Ikrit's background cameo in the ballroom dancing with the Zabrak -- not sure if she's someone I've forgotten from the books or an OC, but either way it's a cute picture. :) I wondered if things would work out with a largely Human upper government, but there's an interesting hint in the way their societal changes are going... I'm thinking that the next generations may become a blended culture of Humans and aliens with a lot of hybrid and/or non-blood kinship affiliated individuals eventually becoming the new norm. Especially since some of these are really prominent families -- the Tarkins and their Codru-Ji adopted kids, Thimen and Vomkor's brood, possibly others I'm forgetting.

In a way, they may be leading by example since people are probably paying rather close attention -- especially given how big a role various aspects of social organization are playing in the political scene. The super-analytical part of me is curious how these vast changes are being received "on the ground" by regular citizens who aren't as closely affiliated with the main characters (perhaps I'm trying to spark plot bunnies for you. :p)

Things like, do they have a problem with people building hidden speakeasies with a million secret entrances on city worlds where it's hard to track architecture well? (I could see that being an issue for law enforcement on worlds like Coruscant.) Are there still non-war droids like protocol units? Non-aggressive clone deserters from the old Republic like Cut Lawquane? (Though they may have died of old age by now.) And ooh, are they getting a bunch of never-before-seen species with the drive to open up Wild Space and the Unknown Regions? Are lots of people moving there to pursue new opportunities -- or escape their pasts?

Okay, that's a lot, I realize. Answers to question-barrage not needed if that's not fun for you. I... tend to find a lot of questions the more AU something is. You may have noticed. ;)

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Kahara

Thank you, Kahara. :)

I'm glad you like my approach. It's the only way Cushy can address needed things pertaining to elements that don't speak to her (like war and politics) and still mainly focus on what matters (growth, bonding, love).

I'm glad you liked the bit with Harmony and Toru. They are cute together. :D

Cushy has studied names for about 15 years. Virtue names have never been solely feminine in usage. I consider the modern trend very unfortunate. Cushy favours descriptor names. It's a shame I can't rename Wilhuff in this. Such a ridiculous name for Sir to be associated with. :p Shelby would be much better (I like restoring masculinity to names taken over by women).

Very sharp considerations, Kahara. Yes, Tarkin has been indeed stifling a lot for a long time. Toru, as a Spiritual Mentor has indeed witnessed that many Paths of Calling begin dramatically where the individual must deal with the darkest shadows within and the deepest anguish they still retain and figure out how to leave it in God's hands. Not always an easy thing. Thimen likewise has quite the story. I am considering weaving Wilhuff's Path of Healing with Thimen's History as a means that they bond. (In my experience both Templates: Plummer and Cushing have a vital need for people in their lives as not only guides and supports but so they can fulfil their wiring to nurture others.) If I do this, it will likewise factor in some of Toru and why like Rain Prancer, the Chiss is devoted to House Fireheart but bears his own Clan Name.

The Zabrak lass is an OC. :)

I'm glad you like seeing the aliens. Cushy loves aliens and I have never felt the Empire was specist or sexist and I won't write it simply because it's a common perception among the fanbase. Cushy writes her heart first. :)

Yes! Very good. Winks I have added Dooku's lady into the earlier part but I haven't revealed her yet. Lady Dooku will continue this 'blending' trend. :D

Basically, they're happy because Sidious' oppression is dead. Many of the issues I feel fans project onto the Empire and since I don't agree with the common stances I don't reflect them in my writing.

Speakeasies won't be an issue. I am not about people circumventing sound laws. No, there are NO droids at all. Cushy considers it dangerous how technological dependent we're getting. It likewise distorts personal interactions. This is why I make the changes I do. People return to forming natural bonds and valuing manual labour. :)

All clones are dead. To Cushy they shouldn't have existed at all because you can't clone the Spirit in Man.

Yes. New species galore.

Yes, many beings will move all over now that fear no longer rules them due to Sith and Jedi narrowness of view. Rakata Prime and Korriban may feature later in Wilhuff's tale. :)

Kahara, this is one of the best responses Cushy has received in this thread. I love detailed thoughts and questions. Bring them on!

Thank you, Mentor! [:D]

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    ------------------------------

5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Note: I am going to read through what I have posted and tweak it again as needed in the hopes I can continue. I really would like to share my interpretation of 'humanised' characters that don't get such handling often. As ever, this is AU and my 'source' of inspiration is chiefly Lee and Cushing, the *men* so the fact the characters don't act as most fans envision is VERY purposeful.

I will be renaming and reimaging one key OC planet and her two OC sapient species I will update the needed areas soon.

NightWatcher91 likes this.
  6. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Well written, E-Daughter. =D= [:D]

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh you write so poetically! So very, very! There is such a soothing warmth, it's like verbal rippling brooks. =D= Thank you for sharing such a sensitive courageous journey!

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you E-Dad and Ny! [:D]@};-

I believe I will be calling Part II: Paths of Illumination. However, I am struggling to get a handle on Anakin, he's being difficult and he doesn't speak to me much personally but I have a vital thread intended to enfold his presence more fully. I am amid brainstorming with a handful of other users regarding approaches.

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Catching up before heat catches up with me. The original was good, but the rewrite is even better. :)

One thing that stands out most to me is Toru. I remember Kahara once mentioning the aura a confident Force-sensitive would have and he strikes me as somebody matching that description. Thinking outside of the box, yet very loyal and not power-hungry. Not to mention that the way you described his eyes, he sort of sounds like a cute Pekingese pup crossed with a Human. Would definitely love to read his back story, how he became the leader of the Aspirators. Is your previous story featuring him still relevant, or do you plan to rewrite that as well?

Another thing I would not mind reading is a fanon thread entry about the Kaladroni.

I: Meeting the Gravel Kit

The story starts like a Victorian novel, but not in a corny, clichéd way. I love the description of Tarkin parting and Hannah's conversation with him, the only thing that seemed slightly off was the word "Luv", but I assume you have a logical explanation for this that I am not aware of.

II: Facing the Cobra

At first, I wondered how Leia could be compared to a cobra, so I was pretty relieved that it's Palpatine. Makes far more sense. :p

The conversation Tarkin has with Leia is pretty challenging. The idea that Tarkin himself lost a son in the war is breaking a bunch of stereotypes associated to characters similar to him and in his position and that's far more interesting than writing in as, say, a womanizing psychopath. This gives him more complexity.

Addressing Vader, he instructs: 'Keep careful watch over her, my friend. She does you credit for she is as spirited as you ever were!'

Uh-oh...did Demothi tell him something? :D

The ending of the chapter is disturbing. And that's a well-written Palpatine. While all of his minions are open to interpretation, I just cannot imagine him being any less of a saddist and the idea that he tortured Tarkin at some point seems very believable.

III: Cognisance

This may be a stupid question, but these are call signs, not names? Keen Mynock, Agile Wolf...? Nice to see that Stormtroopers are people, with personalities and their own voice.

A Selonian! I love Selonians! :)

Keen Mynock is a well-written character. Her compassion for the Nelvaanian pup is starkly contrasted with her despise for Palpatine. Luckily, he cannot hear when he's dead.

The sequences with the OCs were intriguing, though somewhat confusing due to brevity. And I liked Toru from the very first sentence.

Interlude: First Ventures

This is a right way to write an interlude - if it's not in the actual story, it shouldn't exist and this proves it. On top of it, the tone used in the communique is on-spot. Like a real diplomatic letter!

The idea of Dooku breaking free and being neither a Jedi or Sith is really interesting. And Tarkin and Dooku working together? A new age, indeed. I assume Dooku himself discovered the two "heretics"?

Now, what I am interested in how Dooku survived, yet Darth Vader is still Darth Vader.

The part where Wookiees have been set free and Selonians are no longer opressed nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Ultimately, Hannah as a diplomat is a lovely surprise. I have plans for Grass Trekkers in my future stories, as they're a freaky species and definitely not completely sentient, but if she can make them reasonable, then she is awesome.

Interlude: Repercussions

All those Force-Sensitives sent to Kaladron are what Toru wants for his revolutionary views of the Force to become an order that is neither like the Jedi or the Sith? Niiice.

And I hope Ackbar gets what he asked for, too. Dac was a site of much, much injustice. Not sure why, in the later interlude, they don't agree. Hmmm...

Interlude: Progressing Forward

After three interludes, there's almost a parallel, WikiLeaks-like aspect to your narrative. I like!

And knowing how Obi-Wan followed Qui-Gon, his master, in some more progressive views, his resignation doesn't come as a surprise at all.

I don't see Mezeri in the character list, so...info, please?

The Polish scenario (the plane that crashed with all of their politicians some years ago)...didn't expect that. Looks like Garm Bel Ibis has ideas. Lots of them.

I was not familiar with Wyrwulves, neither Codru-Ji. Their grown process reminds me of Lahsbees and Huhk. That said, the whole set of homecoming scenes was fantastic. The pups welcoming Wilhuf, those yummy biscuits, the scene when Hannah falls asleep on Wilhuf's lap. As I have said elsewhere, not many people would depict an elderly couple in love, as if it was some sort of a crime; and you just did it. :)

Interlude: Breakthroughs

Ooo, Keen Mynock is here again! And these call signs are cool.

Remember the Outer Rim Sieges. Remember Gideon. Raith Sienar. Senator Borsk Fey'lya. Padawan Ahsoka Tano. Jedi General Even Piell. Finis Valorum. Motti and Tagge. Jedi Knight Aayla Secura. The fiery and ridiculous Daala. A scant few that have fallen in our struggles.

Handy to know who's dead in this AU. ;)

The arrival at Yavin action scene was great. Was it the Rebels who left the sky mines?

The scene with Leia is a very, very important one. As I have hinted in the YKYAFFWW thread, my country has been on the losing side in multiple subsequent wars - that should have never taken place to begin with. The losing side, especially if taken as the aggressor, can often be satanised beyond belief. As in, people may hate you even though you were a child when the war took place, even though you lost half of your family and whatnot. If one is taking the point of wars being futile home, they have to see it from both sides' POVs, especially through the eyes of displaced, wounded et cetera. And you're doing this right.

Chapter IV: Cessation

The war is over! To me, the highight of this chapter was the peace ceremony, with the feather and all. :) May be the highlight of the whole story so far.

Interlude: Shifting Winds

This is basically an infodump and I had to make a list with arrows between the initial state of everything mentioned and what it was transformed to, but it was not a problem at all. :)

Interesting to see Tendrando Arms mentioned here. Makes me wonder what year is this.

Interlude: Momentum

I adored the details about Aspirants. Not that I would mind a fanon post, but this satisfies my curiosity for the start. :D

I can see that the Galaxy is leaning towards an utopia and I bet there is somebody, or more people, who don't like that...somebody who wants to profit from warfare, for example.

Interlude: Memories

The ball started out wonderfully. Very retro, very fun and that "women like men in uniform" thing was between the lines, too. :p

And then...EEEK?! Very intriguing, somewhat of a cliffhanger. What attacked Tarkin and why? Was it an enemy or was it simply related to his meal?

Definitely love what I have read so far, looking forward to more!

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Poet: Thank you. :)

I am so glad you like Toru. :D It makes me a happy Cushy that an OC has been received well. Heehee, thanks, I basically am fusing how I am and how I read Jeremy to be to arrive at Toru. It seems to be working. Aww, that's cute! Never thought of that. I associate Jeremy with Irish Cobs and Flatcoat Retrivers, personally. Thanks! Well, at the time, Love in the Shades of Grey in Before was meant as sort of the Prologue to a series. Some elements are the same in essence: Toru loses his family in a fire due to a Sith, he commits revenge murder upon an innocent, mistakenly. Toru and JB OC are bonded. Toru is outside the box as he's been Jedi and Sith and neither.

An origins tale according to me...I like the idea. I'd have to start fresh and study this one intently to get it to mesh.

Thank you. What would you like to know? I love questions and thinking. :)

I: Meeting the Gravel Kit

Thank you ever so much! One thing I fairly detest about SW novels and works in general is they are mainly focused on 'fun' action and 'move, move, move!' It's fine whoever likes that but I much prefer heart and emotions. I lead by feeling and intuition. One of my goals is to personalise the characters as I develop them. I want them to feel real.

I do have a logical reason for 'luv' yes. It's Peter I am basing Tarkin upon and this man is a sincere Endearment Giver with a very simple, easy air. 'Luv' he doesn't use too much, I prefer it. He usually uses 'darling' both genders or 'dear' usually when addressing fellow men. 'dear boy', 'dear fellow'.

Peter was a rare breed of English Gentleman and you bet I'm doing my best to infuse some such traits into my take of Wilhuff! :D

II: Facing the Cobra

Yes. :p

Thank you for saying that. I am amazed how oft people present Tarkin as worse than a male dog as far as those habits go. Likewise with the vindictiveness and wiliness to torture/rape. Clearly, I've seen a different character and I am glad of it.

In my experience most people only see the character not the man playing him. I simply can't do that with Peter. Like you say with my writing, I know it's my Sweetheart no matter what and he's nervous, vulnerable, noble, genuine, a lover, and a peacemaker. I hope I do these traits justice while still acknowledging this story is dealing with war and the damage wrought. My goal is to offer hope of mending not just for my Sir but to any that have suffered the horrendous wounds of any kind of conflict. Oh, and yes I HATE war!

Likewise with his delivery and pattern of speech I can so tell Peter is 'working mode' as Tarkin, precise and stilted. When truly natural Peter is beautifully ungraded and so very simple.

I think you have something there.

Thank you. Ian is the single most terrifying presence in SW film for me as Emperor. Frying Luke alive for fun left an impression on a young Cushy for real.

III: Cognisance

No, actually. They are their names. I love descriptor names. Nuzzler is Tarkin's call sign to denote Peter's affectionate and tactile nature. Grey Stag is my name for him to denote his majestic, earthy, primal nature. Glad you noticed. I don't buy the 'faceless solider' mentality, it's very dangerous.

Yay, someone noticed! :) I think they are cute otter people.

Indeed. I want to show that just because one is painted as on 'wrong side' it doesn't equal lacking all discernment or standards like so many act. Drives me up the wall that does.

Thank you.

Interlude: First Ventures

The Interludes are a way I can convey what I feel I need to when it comes to things that aren't my forte. Though I still heed my intuition in handing. Glad it seems credible.

Yes, Dooku has become aware of the Aspirants.

Is he?

Yay, it's connecting!

High praise indeed for Hannah. Yeah, I do definitely favour writing men, and elders more because it suits my inclinations but I wanted to show that while Hannah is chiefly Wilhuff's support it's not devaluation of any kind and she has her own chops.

Interlude: Repercussions

Toru's Aspirants seek inner balance then foster it outwardly. They actually strive to DO what the Jedi SAY. He knows that denying emotion is lying and unhealthy. He teaches instead self-control without caving into the nonsense feelings are inherently evil. It's motive that counts. :)

Gial did get what he asked for. See, I am willing to have someone cede ground for the greater good.

Interlude: Progressing Forward

What does this mean, please?

Glad to hear it. It's about Truth for me, not labels.

Mezeri: She's essentially one of six pups the Tarkins adopt as 'war orphans'. The Codru-Ji aren't even involved in the GCW. They are merely 'acceptable losses' or 'collateral damage'. All the adults died. Originally my intent was for their presence to factor into Wilhuff's journey of confronting the results of the mismanaged Empire. The Pack isn't public knowledge. This was intended to be linked to the arc where Tarkin is tried for war crimes. Again, my key point in this is no matter the uniform or the propaganda used amid war, all sides have decent people with the same baseline needs and wants regardless of differences that get entirely too much attention. Difference isn't always a hindrance but it often is due to lack of understanding, empathy, and acceptance. Yet, commonality and unity is the true point. What few grasp is you can have both you just have to WORK at it. Really there is no good reason to war anyway.

It heartens me that you enjoy the Pack and thank you for noticing and supporting my ageing couple being in love. Love is not simply youthful passion and dreams. It is companionship, learning, trial, growth, and hope. I don't write casual relationships, not my style.

Interlude: Breakthroughs

Yes, Rebels seeded the area with sky mines.

It is nice to see someone else who understands how downright frustrating it is to see many people insisting that X people MUST be R way because of H reason. No, you don't. Most here paint the entire Empire as monsters but LOATHE all officers and above ANY my Sir's Tarkin. Now, I DO 'get' why in spite of many 'telling' me otherwise but I don't agree with it because I see the whole of SW through a different lens than the majority. I am simply highlighting traits pretty obvious but most either ignore or dismiss and I DO have him admit wrongdoing.

IV: Cessation

Thank you. I strived to make this special and see? Cushy proved it CAN be done: ending the war AND dismantling the DS. Many people won't hear anything besides 'Luke HAD to do it'. I say ********!!!. No one in SW truly seeks peace and that is a crying shame.

Interlude: Shifting Winds

Yeah, I edited these because I know many despise 'infodumps'. I love details myself. Actually, I don't know and honestly timing isn't my concern.

Interlude: Momentum

Great. [​IMG]

Oh, some still want Tarkin and Dooku DEAD. They don't care that they were deceived as much as anyone else. Some act like they chose this ****. In my book, if you can forgive Vader one ought to be willing to forgive anybody. That's my intent with this show everyone has worth regardless of errors.

Interlude: Memories

What? Peter is lovely in uniform. :D :p Glad you liked the ball.

Ah, curious you are good. It was regarding the reptiloid's meal but what 'assaulted' Wilhuff was suppressed boyhood trauma. It's something I got from the novel.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Note: I have the basic gist of the next two chapter mapped out. However due to potential drama in RL it may be awhile until they are up. Plus these coming bits are likely to be the *longest* chaps in the whole piece. I really don't feel I can break them up beyond section breaks so please respect that.

Coming: Part II: Chapter I: Papas

Ewok Poet and Darth Gangrenous like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    If you do get to re-writing the origin tale, I think it would be a great match for the current OC challenge. He was in the shoes of Jedi, in the shoes of Sith and ended up being neither. That would make an awesome challenge response.

As for my question about Kaladroni - anything. I have no idea what they look like, how they live, what they believe in...there was a fanon discussion on alien species about six months ago and I think there are one or two good templates on introducing a species there.

As for your responses to everything else - the biggest YES to hating wars and to the great description of Mezeri.

As for men in uniform, don't worry, I know. But there is this song here about a man who claims that "women like soldiers" and it's so camp that it's probably etched in my mind. In reality, my grandfather was a gentleman soldier type and a bunch of women in the family were envious of my grandmother. :p

13. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I knew this would be good. :) This interpretation of Tarkin and the inclusion of Toru are great DD! =D=

Cushing's Admirer and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    ------------------------------

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Okay, my heart is remaining pretty steady with my intents for this piece. I do have my flow for Papas figured out but as I said prior it is likely to be a flood of words. It may even breech my current 10 page and I fizzle limit. I am intending it to have two major sections: One for the Tarkins and the Other for the Dookus and Skywalkers. :)

16. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Come DD, get on it. We want more. :D

No pressure. :p

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thanks for the encouragement, Furio. :D

Note: Cushy has decided that since the next two chapters are going to be quite extensive, covering a lot of ground, I am going to post them in sections. Please be aware my Chapters and Interludes are clearly marked so unless and until you see such headings, the words posted belong to the same one.

Part II: Paths of Illumination

Chapter I: Papas

Five Years Later

Carrion Plateau, Eriadu—Twilight

Wilhuff has been working tirelessly both as Mentor Toru's erneast and eager Pupil as well as Advisory Leader to Mildness' assorted officers, passengers, and civilians. This current mission troubles him deeply.

Having just completed a 20-hour shift of monitoring vitals, administering medicines and medicinal aids, carefully annunciating meticulous notes (for Wilhuff has known from his school days his scrawl is nearly unintelligible) into his mini-datapadd, and running between four makeshift camps spread across his ancestral lands, he absently massages his forehead as dark thoughts begin manifesting at the edges of his mind's eye.

As calcite, stones, soil, grass, and ash particles crunch beneath his boots, Wilhuff slows his breathing. Inhaling deeply through his long nose, he holds it for a five-count then exhales through his mouth soundlessly.

Repeating this five times, his nerves begin to settle. Without any audible sounds, the Mender-in-Training brushes minds with Toru who is taking names of new arrivals at a simple table situated directly before a modest supply tent.

The Stag is haunted by his past. He is agitated and his heart wails unvoiceable cries of mourning, pleading, and love. Go, offer yourself to Great One Above. Seek His comfort.

Bowing deeply to the compassionate Kaladroni many metres from him, Tarkin turns on his heel and sprints towards a rise in the mid-distance.

Reaching the summit of the modest knoll, Wilhuff settles in a seated position facing the looming satellites within the sky. Within moments his soiled tunic is removed from his lean frame and discarded carelessly among the mosses and grass.

Incandescent moonbeams dance and skitter across the weathered flesh of his torso, shoulders, arms, and back as he allows his eyes to close.

I have returned to this place which I forsook long ago, to render mending where once only might and terror reigned. Feel thy Native Son's boundless contrition, O Planet, that forms his most primal recollections!

The wicked joka'lar, my Granduncle Jova, is dead. His body and bones nothing more than nourishment for thee, the descendants of Great One Above's creatures that he, his ancestors, and to my great abashment and shame, yes, even I, have harassed and hunted without any restraint. It is just. Yet, I plead, creatures of every kind, any that Fashioner of Stars allows to understand through instinct or reason: know I, Wilhuff Tarkin, and any that follow from my strain of the line shall never haunt you again regardless of habitat, life cycle, or type of creature. I shall draw no more blood, forever. Dwell in harmony and safety, fellow beings.

Many hours Tarkin's prayer spills forth, unabated. So focused on this is he that he is overcome by bristling dread when he belatedly thinks of Rookery. Awash in shame, Wilhuff bolts for his vessel.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    very descriptive and detailed i loved it

19. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
  20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you, E-Dad and Mentor. :)

Note: I have just started the next segment. This one will contain a vital development. Returning to expressing my Heart through writing has been a very taxing journey. I desire that it be understood that though this section will primarily focus on the eldest and the youngest current Tarkins, I am doing it not as a slight to anyone else in the clan, simply following my Heart in conveying some what I hope are touching moments between grandsire and grandcub.

21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You can really, really set up the mood - I think that's one of the most dominating characteristics of your writing. The twilight and Wilhuf pressing his forehead and experiencing those thoughts, with stone and darkness being the dominant motives...just plain beautiful. While this is certainly one of the most unique works on here in terms of plot and structure; the approach to the Force and the way your characters, both canon and OC, connect to it, raises every single hair on one's head. :)

And by the way Toru is present in this scene, I assume he can somehow reach into Wilhuf's mind and feel what's tormenting him - either now or later. Not to mention that Toru's presence in general is lovely, lovely, lovely. Toru = [face_love]

I am eager to see how Wilhuf's prayers are answered and what the One he prayed to will send his way to comfort him. :)

22. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    I: Meeting the Gravel Kit & II: Facing the Cobra

CHARACTERS: Princess Leia, prisoner to the Empire she rebelled against, expects harsh treatment at the hands of Darth Vader and Tarkin. The Empire has gained a reputation for, well, evil. She departs her scene confused, maybe hopeful.

Wilhuff, a refined and sophisticated man, believes in the purported ideals of the system he serves, but views Palpatine ("Sand Cobra") as a tyrannical, incompetent Emperor. He has three allies here: his kindly wife Hannah, Vader, and the shadowy Demothi.

PLOT: Wilhuff seems to have a risky plan to restore dignity to the galaxy. We don't know many details yet. He boldly enters the Emperor's main chamber, insults him, then suffers painful initial consequences.

MISC: Superb stuff! *lights cigarette* Wait, where are my dress gloves?

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Poet: Thank you very much for thoughtful and insightful thoughts. :) Mood and emotion I know very well due to being intensely wired to empathy. Glad it comes through.

:eek: New Reader! Hello and welcome. :) I always find it interesting how perceptions differ among readers. It's very informative.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meditation Chamber, Tarkin Quarters, Mildness—An Hour Later

Cleansed by a long purifying bath, Wilhuff's now wholly pewter hair shimmers in the muted illumination. Garbed in pale yellow under tunics with a matching sash at his waist, the elder's outer robe is soot grey as are his leggings. The large, nimble feet are bare as he strides to the subdued youngling.

'If you will indulge me, I have something for you, my Playful Acklay.' The distinctive accented tenor tone murmurs with a hint of entreaty.

Nine-year-old Leilani Tarkin attired in a cotton jumpsuit that reflects her grandsire's shades, meets his bloodshot, exhausted, yet incredibly tender gaze with a mixture of expectation and sympathy. This part of the Remembrance of the Departed ritual the pair has done for the last three years. Aware how much it means to Papa Wilhuff, the girl won't ever dare deny him it.

You have his eyes. So beautiful. Wilhuff acknowledges with longing and a subtle glimmer of satisfaction as he watches the bright emerald-eyed lass closely as his hand nervously feels for the treasure held by one of his tunic's inner pockets.

The spritely youth inclines her head in assent then glances at the washed out eyes then to the tremulous hand that now grasps a delicate thin piece of glossy-finished flimsy. Brushing her elder's fingers, Leilani cautiously takes hold of the precious object. It is a freshly developed, finely detailed photograph. The image so beautifully imprinted upon it's surface is barely dry.

It is of a bright-eyed youth of aquiline and strong features, his form slightly more robust and musculature more defined than the man standing nervously tense before her. The hair is short and full, a shimmering raven-black. The full lips are curved upward in a relaxed smile even though the posture is straight and smart. The purple and silver-white uniform smooth and crisp along the contours of the body flush with youth's vitality.

Papa. Leilani thinks achingly, instinctively stretching with all her innate Force potential to comb the picture for any hint of residual genetic memory or wisps of emotion or thought encoded intrinsicly into it as her Elder had undertaken his solemn task.

A gleaming thread of unabashed delight glints amid the constricting web of suffering as a scene unfolds within the lass' mind: a much younger Wilhuff gaily chases after a giggling tot, across the fragrant expanse of a tranquil Endor meadow. Lean arms seizing the boy, the pair tumbles in a joyous tussle to the soft vegetation below. It ends, with Rookery kissing the elder's long nose adoringly.

You cherish him as you do me. Leilani sends through the Force to the now stock-still and utterly silent man directly before her.

The girl barely has time to secret the picture beneath her jumpsuit near her heart before she is swept into a fierce embrace. Wilhuff's knees growing watery, he guides the pair to the carpeted floor then kisses Leilani's neck as sobs cause his form to hitch and quiver involuntarily, scalding tears coursing from dull eyes.

'Oh, Great One Above, yes. Your father is more precious to me than all the gems in existence, Child! As are you, my Miracle Amid Tribulations...'

Speech becomes immaterial as the couple rocks together in mutual torment.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Glad to see that you're continuing this, Cushy. :) You've got a very lyrical and poetical voice here, especially with Wilhuff's prayer (correct use of "thee" for the win! [face_dancing]) and the detailed descriptions of the environment and attire (I love the crunching of the calcite underfoot). He and the crew of Mildness have a huge task ahead of him, and the healing and mending process for him will be a long one indeed. Like Ewok Poet, I too am intrigued by the mental bond between him and Toru, and I find it doubly interesting that it's happening even as Toru is busy with a very mundane task, taking down people's names. That says a lot for Toru's powers, and I'm sure we'll see more of them at work in subsequent chapters.

Very sweet moment between Wilhuff and his granddaughter, too, and I like how the still image of the photograph segues to the moving image of the younger Wilhuff and his son inside Leilani's head. (Right? She seems to have some Force sensitivity, and her grandfather is picking up on it—so does he have Force sensitivity too in this AU?) Their embrace kind of reminds me of the embrace between Wilhelm Meister and the gypsy orphan Mignon in Goethe's Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship, which is an equally forceful and emotional moment between a young girl and an older, beloved father figure. (You can read it here, in the second-to-last paragraph that begins "She stood before him.")

25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you, Findswoman. :) It's nice you picked that detail up. My Heart is finally speaking where I can truly hear it again and the flairs of lingistical turn stem from two chief sources: 1. Most of my Boys that I have casted here are English or Commonwealth-born 2. Church hymns and how the Bible is translated into English in NKJ version (This is one that is clearest to Cushy). Plus, I have very vivid mind and just love details. I want to make my Words feel Real because their inspirations certainly are.

Yes, in my AU everyone has Force-Sensitivity, that is why I had the Awakening occur towards the beginning. I have always seen the Force as somewhat akin to God's Spirit (minus the mortals can exert their will upon it element, thus I see it as a Spiritual concept not a Secular one. Force ability is linked to an individual's understanding and faith in God. But, these Spiritual Gifts manifest prior to Calling because Great One Above is kind. :)

Yes, sorry, at time of writing I thought I had indicated the vision of Wilhuff and Rookery she saw is in her mind. Clarified.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soundlessly entering the Tarkin quarters, Toru glides within the meditation chamber. Scanning the room, dark solid eyes note eight natter-bee wax candles situated upon a pine table whose legs are covered by an intricate vine motif creeping and wrapping along the powerful felid legs and clawed feet. The wicks all sway slightly in the poignancy-tinged air, the rich blue pinpricks of flame sending lavender-rose incense to Fashioner of Stars as a form of acknowledgement and plea as the nearly entranced pair alternates between reciting passages from the Living Scared Texts, whose form is a silver-glided tome of cervid-leather coverings and konbalar-leaf paper.

At the moment Toru observes them, Leilani's fingers traces the smooth surface of the pages before her as she recites the Prophesy of Mourning's Demise.

From his place against the back wall, his soft rumbling baritone gently melds with the youngling's hesitant and conflicted vocalisation. As his voice caresses the penitent ones' ears, the Kaladroni Mentor delicately surrounds them in spirit-deep understanding of their plight and compassion for the gnawing void that injustice has blasted deep within the invisible portion of their beings that in this life they will never be fully released from.

Given he is the cause of a very similar misery to an Ishi Tib school he has never met, the platinum and ash-maned Mentor is acutely aware he is fortunate to be a 'free' man and abided by the Tarkins.

The Path of Realisation is never an easy one regardless of which strand or what circumstance Lord of Might seizes one's conscience and pierces the blackness of ignorance and malice with his glorious Light of Truth making every detested thing known and inescapable until the Child He is Calling humbles his or herself admitting how lost they are and that they need the Blessing of his Sacrifice to purge them of all taint. Toru remembers his well for at the time he nearly drove himself mad with guilt-ridden grief terrified that he could never escape the blood stain on his soul.

In the rains that he has guided Wilhuff individually and by extension the man's entire clan, Fireheart has seen the Eriaduan man struggle many times with this most personal dilemma. How to trust Beings one can't see enough to bare all swirling within no matter how wretched or detestable? How does one trust they are truly forgiven when all one feels is hollowness and ragged nearly inexpressible tumults?

Yet, with each passing season, the Kaladroni grows more certain that Great One Above has chosen Wilhuff Tarkin, ex-governmental official and military leader, to become His son.

Truly Your Might, Mercy, and Power are beyond mortal comprehension, O God of the Universe! You speak to the hopeless; You hear the broken; You comfort the lost; You mend the insignificant to awe the proud. Magnificent are Thee, O God of All! Fireheart praises within himself viewing himself fortunate to be witness to such an extraordinary event series.

Recitation complete, Wilhuff closes the Holy Book before tenderly resting his elegant if somewhat gnarly and age-spot speckled hand upon his granddaughter's dear head then closes his eyes verbalising a concluding prayer. Mental and physical fatigue is now compounding his long standing emotional strain.

Wilhuff steps to the table snuffing the candles, cleaning the holders, and putting them each carefully back in their accustomed place within a handcrafted rack. Next, he strokes the gilded Book yearningly before striding, somewhat stiffly Toru notes, to replace it in a shelf along the left side wall.

Striding up to the weary man, Toru braces him both at the right shoulder and by clasping the left hand with reassuring strength. 'Come, my fawns, rest. You have tended the living and the memory of He that Sleeps enough. Relinquish your burdens to He that Never Wearies. Trust that He beholds your suffering and contrition and will not forsake it.

'I shall hold you. Shall I summon Hannah?'

Wilhuff shakes his head as a pained hiss disturbs the solemn atmosphere. Aware instantly what pains his Pupil, Toru disengages his nearer hand, gently tracing the cantankerous bones of the once broken hip and pelvis, healing energies flowing from the clawed fingertips through the trouser fabric and directly into the protesting muscles, ligaments, and bones.

Sighing in blissful relief, Wilhuff whispers: 'Bless you for your kindness, Mentor. Forgive me, but I am flat done in. I can't take another step.'

Toru carries Tarkin as Leilani drags her feet behind him drowsily as they trudge to the oversized leather couch in the main common area. Toru lays supine upon his back, he cradles the overwrought Wilhuff against his solid chest, a soothing purr emanating from his chest directly beneath where the other's large ear rests, the fingers of one hand absently stroking calming patterns into the concave chest and the rigid shoulders and back. For herself, Leilani curls on her side on the outer side of her grandsire's Mentor's form.

Ewok Poet likes this.