main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Eminem: Love him or Hate him?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by citizen-tom, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    I saw a clip from the latest MTV awards, and Eminem was booed by practicly the whole audience! Quite rightly too. He was making fun of Moby for no reason at all. Eminem's just a stupid kid. No better than these guys i had the unfortunate luck of bumping into jus the other night; I was in a chinese takeaway place, and these two guys walk in. Almost immediately, they start making fun of the chinese lady behind the counter. They start singing in a soccor chant kind of way "You belong in a zoo! You belong in a zoo!" and other such rubbish. Bloody morons, i don't think Eminem is any better than that.

2. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I didn't say anyone would still find him relevant, I just said that he could probably live comforably for the rest of his life without lifting a finger with the amount of money he makes.

3. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

As much as I despise and loathe Eminem,
    there is ONE thing he and I are in total
    agreement on. I present my case regarding
    internet piracy from the golden lips of
    Mr. Slim Shady himself:

Comments on the Internet Piracy Affecting the Recording Industry:

Eminem, Grammy Award Winning Rapper: "I'm sorry; when I worked 9 to 5, I expected to get a paycheck every week. It's the same with music; if I'm putting my heart and all my time into music, I expect to get rewarded for that. I work hard and anybody can just throw a computer up and download my music for free. It could kill the whole purpose of making music. It's not just about the money?It's the thrill of going to the store; you can't wait till that artist's release date, taking the wrapper off the CD and putting the CD in to see what it sounds like. I've seen those little sissies on TV, talking about how 'The working people should just get music for free,' I've been a working person. I never could afford a computer, but I always bought and supported the artists that I liked. I always bought a Tupac CD, a Biggie CD, a Jay-Z CD.

If you can afford a computer, you can afford to pay $16 for my CD." Wall of Sound ? May 17, 2000

Marshall, you win this round,
    I totally agree with you. :)
    On this one issue, I love him.

4. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I actually like Eminem.

I think he speaks from his heart, and I commend him for that.

(btw, thank you for that search feature, otherwise I woulda posted a redundant copy of this thread)

5. selina

selina Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 22, 2001
    I agree with you EngleFilim completely :)

He is a good singer

6. scruffy-lookin

scruffy-lookin Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2001
    While I think he's just another person trying to push the limits of bad taste to stir controversy and make money he does, every now and then, say something worth listening to.

He is, as far as I can tell, a product of his environment who with some talent, a lot of luck and hard work and great timing been able to succeed.

I find his method of story telling cartoon-like (him too truth be told), ultra-bright and violent. If you choose to see that as real then it is dangerous, if you see it as being fantasy then it can be an amusing diversion.

I tried to sing one of his songs one night at the Nori Bang (A kind of Kareoke room that Koreans are fond of) didn't take me long to figure that mumbling along to his raps in the car is a lot easier than having to actually rap one of them. Won't be trying that again in a hurry.

7. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    Howsabout indifferent? The "na na na na" song randomly appeals? I think he does okays sometimes, better than other stuff of his genre (to me at least) but it's not like I'm madly in love with him or would really even defend his music against others. :\

8. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    No no, Eaglet.. no spamming. Be good.

9. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    ...better than other stuff of his genre

Nah, even mainstream rappers like Xzibit own his ass.

Big names in Rap like Notorious B.I.G. , 2pac, Snoop Doggy Dogg alone own him. Not to mention the really greats like Rakim, Chali 2na :)-P), Guru, Chuck D. Evidence, Gift of Gab etc.

10. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    I dunno, I don't listen to it so the elite stuff or whatever probably wouldn't interest me as much as mainstreamishy stuff? Or I guess I'm not sure how it'd work with rap. :\

11. EmperorFett

EmperorFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    He's a genius

well songwise

~Ian~

12. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    The mainstream stuff sucks arse for most part. (though Snoop Dogg, 2pac and B.I.G. are mainstream ...)

Try something like The Roots or Jurassic 5.

13. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    I dunno if I'd be of the same opinion about mainstream if that music generally doesn't appeal to me?

What I mean is that I'd probably like what most people liked over the underground stuff because I don't have that kind of underground taste? I dunno. lol.

14. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    I don't like the mainstream stuff, I like the underground stuff.

Underground doesn't mean less appealing, just less popular.

15. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    I meant that as far as tastes- I'd probably have to listen to it- but if I can barely like anything that is mainstream I probably wouldn't like things that are from a more developed taste? I guess it's not true with most music styles so I'd have to actually listen . . .

16. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    If you don't like Creed does that mean you won't like Pearl Jam?

Give the Roots and Jurassic 5 a try.

here:

Jurassic 5 - What's Golden?

17. Zasio

Zasio Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2000
    Er, I don't listen to either? Lol.

EDIT: Lol, nah, I still find some Eminem songs more than that one for sure. lol. (Though some, definately not -- And this may just be the effects of polarization. ;) . . . )

EDIT: Sorry, RMConY. 8-}

18. jedistratus

jedistratus Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2002
    Try something like The Roots or Jurassic 5.

Jurassic 5 is AMAZING, they are the highpoint and best rap i have ever heard, as far as eminem well

i guess id say I love to hate him in a way, but the only song thats actually good musicaly is Sing for The Moment

19. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Guys, please push this back on topic.
    The thread is about Eminem, not the great Jurassic 5 ;)

20. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Eminem the guy I despise. I think he's a whining slacker with a baaad attitude. And he wrote a really scary song tlaking about how wondeful suicide is.

However, I like some of his music. I adore his latest. Forget what it's called, but it's the one on the radio all the time now.

Note, though, I only like *some* of his music. Other stuff, like "Hi, My Name IS" really bugs me.

21. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "Cleanin' Out My Closet" is my favorite song when I'm feeling depressed. :D It's a beautiful song, IMO.

"Without Me" is just fun, I love it. :D

"Lose Yourself" is way cool, neat song. :)

22. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I can't believe he's form my home state of MI. Kid Rock is way better then Eminem. In other words I don't like him at all. Sure one or two of his songs are ok. But other then that. I don't like his what he does.

Note: I'm glad Kid Rock is form my home state at lest MI has someone better the Eminem out there repesrting MI.

23. Darth_Bolo_O_I

Darth_Bolo_O_I Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2002
    I like his music, but his overall attitude could use a minor overhaul- he is a bit too antagonistic, but he does bring up good points sometimes.

Later!

24. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm interested in seeing this upcoming movie with him as the lead actor (I forgot the name of the movie [face_blush]). If Eminem can pull off a good actor role and not be cocky about it afterwards, maybe he'll change the way he writes music. Doubtful, but maybe.

25. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Just wanted to throw in a comment here after seeing the trailer for green mile or 8 miles or whatever.

My opinion of Eminem is not good overall. Reason being - I don't know much about him. What I do know I don't particularly like. I was a fan of rap back when Dr. Dre was around, old Cypress Hill. But now I think I have different viewpoints on things.

I think of how many people are Carbon Copies of Eminem - which is good because you need someone to relate to your music. People who have it "hard" - situations they should'nt be in - but, it's like he's a guy who got lucky. I don't think he did'nt earn his way, but for most rappers who may have just as much talent, it's like throwing a rock at the sun. Then again I don't see him having many other talents either - a one trick rhyme pony.
    As far as acting, I would never even give credit to someone for doing a movie based on themselves where they could be themselves. He has the chance to glorify himself and by god he's going to use it. And we are going to pay money to dwell in his life. Well, maybe not "we".
    This guy is not a superhero - he's a an angry 120 pound guy who is trying to make his peace with the world and write songs - hey thats great, just keep it off my T.V. :)
    Just send this guy to Teen Idol or whatever it is so they can rip him a new one.

Evidence anyone can act when they can be themselves even though I love 'em, Jason Mewes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.