main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Emotional let-downs in Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by anakinsrightarm, Apr 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    This is kind of a complimentary topic to the one about parts of Star Wars that make you cry.

However, this one deals with emotional potention unfulfilled. I.E...which Star Wars scenes had potential for emotional greatness but were "letdowns"?

My two cents:

1. Luke & Leia's conversation in the Ewok village.....BAD acting totally killed this scene's emotional potential to me.

2. The fireplace scene in Clones. I actually LIKE this scene (ducks)...but I think, even more than in Hayden's case, Portman is a bit flat here. It's a good scene in my book...but it could've been been even headier.

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I actually thought Padme did well in that scene. She conveyed to me that she's been a politican all her life who's never had time for love, and doesn't really know how to deal with Anakin's melodrama. Plus she's mature and controlled, which is another reason she quietly resisted.

Anyway, I can't really think of any parts that didn't get the point across with me, although the scene you mentioned with Luke and Leia in RotJ DOES kinda leave you wanting, considering the importance of it. Although it came pretty darn close to hitting the mark.

3. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    I was disappointed when Jango Fett's head didn't fall out of the helmet Boba was holding.

I was also upset to see Padme's shirt not get torn up any more than it was.

But I'd say the most disappointing part was when it cut Anakin's Tusken Raider Slaughter into only a three-second sequence. I badly wanted to see at least a minute of Skywalker mayhem.

4. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

DEFINITELY Qui-Gon`s death, that could have been so moving and SUCH a great, memorable scene....but no. It barely lasted long enough, and didn`t have emotional enough musical accompaniment. So there.

5. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    really? I liked, that scene i was on the edge of my seat before it happened despite being slightly spoiled, and i was still tense the enxt few time si saw it. The music was fien i thought. I guess they could ahev made it even better in that way. The best part was Obi-Wans reaction, that was really an emotional part. That part was really good

6. anakinsrightarm

anakinsrightarm Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I agree with LORD....although NOT a long scene by any measure, Obi Wan's initial "Nooooo!!!" reaction was very emotionally-charged....and Qui Gonn's touching of Kenobi's face conveyed a dying warmth to the brief dialogue. I thought the funeral scene, while also brief, was thoughtful....(the music helped convey the sorrow here I think).

7. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    When ginn died instead of saying stuff like: Youve been a good aprentice. Remember what you have learned. I am proud of you.
    Other stuff like that.

he said,"train the boy. promise me."

that scene could have been a lot better.

8. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    While I don`t think it was a BAD scene, I just felt so much more could have been made of it! Think how you felt when you were watching FOTR(sorry!) and Gandalf fell into the void - that`s how I would have liked to have felt when watching Qui-Gon`s death. That would have also given greater resonance to his funeral scene and, to a lesser degree, Dooku`s mentioning of him in AOTC.

Do you concur?

9. JediImprov

JediImprov Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    The biggist let-down for me in the Star Wars Saga was Boba Fett's death.
    A very promising character totally thrown away.

10. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    yeah i guess Benny_Blanco is right, it could ahve been better. "Gandalf-like", but I still think it is really a good scene. Boba Fett was the sad victim of 80s comic relief, i mean flying into the wall and then into the Sarlcc Pitt, after getting his jetpack accidently fired by an almost blind han solo? That was just suppsoed to get laugh. (I am compeltly guessing here, i was not around when the movie was released.) However, as unfortuante as it is, what would Lucas have doen with him the rest of the stroy? He escapes in the EU anyways. If u like it. Jango's fight with Obi-Wan is supposed to be like what he is really capable of in his better occasions. I hear he has a bunch of good comics. It is ur decison if u wan to accept them or not i do.

11. lil_jedi_blondie

lil_jedi_blondie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2003
    I am thinking when Qui-Gon died and Obi-Wan went over to him, instead of saying, "You were like a son to me" or whatever, he said, "You must train the boy". It's no wonder Obi-Wan didn't cry at the funeral, he thought Qui-Gon loved a kid that he'd known for a week more than someone he'd known for about 13 years.

12. lil_jedi_blondie

lil_jedi_blondie Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2003
    I also think that in ESB when Han and Leia are in the room and Leia says "Well, then your as good as gone aren't you?" That scene could have been a lot more emotional, but it ended too quickly.

13. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    I agree, the L/L conversation on Endor was a big let down. When I first watched this scene, I could feel the importance of this conversation, you *knew* it was a real emotional, important moment in the movie. But after watching it, though I didn't know why, I felt like I had been cheated - there had to be more! Something was missing! I suppose it was the acting, but I don't know, I don't think it was all that awful. This scene always bothers me; they're discussing their heritage and future, something I was waiting to see, and it ends with a hunger for more. It could have been much more fufilling.

14. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Honestly the only scene in AOTC i can say i hate is the love pledge aghhh

15. JediLegOBlock

JediLegOBlock Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2003
    I still think that Anakin and Shmi's separation on Tatooine was excessively emotionless.

16. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Well, I wouldn't call it "excessively emotionless", JediLegOBlock. :p But, I would say that it's an "Emotional let-downs in Star Wars." I've always felt that this scene should've have been much more moving. It almost feels like the acting isn't nearly good enough to warrant John William's great, sweeping score that kicks into high gear when they separate.

17. Emi-Yan_Tetu

Emi-Yan_Tetu Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2001
    Just like to point out that emotionally manipulative cinema in no way, in my opinion, relates to good cinema.

Come on guys it ain't Titanic here!

Star Wars has always been emotionally sublte. Anyway why all the "negative" comments posted here about the PT?

What about in ANH, the destruction of Leia's home planet of Alderaan was destroyed with the anhialation of billions of peace loving people, an entire culture lost was dwelled on for a whole 5 seconds... ;)

18. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Honestly, if there is one emotional let-down it would be in ANH when Luke discovered Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru at the Homestead. All that Luke does is turn his head! The only parents that he has known to that point have been charred to a barbeque crisp! I wouldn't just turn my head and force out a tear, I'd be angry as anything. Luke didn't have enough emotion for that part. Sure, it's a good thing that he didn't flip out like Anakin did after finding his Mom at the Tusken Camp, but a little something more would've been more powerful in the long run.

19. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I'd have to go with Alderaan being destroyed. When Luke rescues Leia she is not crying, nor is her face red from previous crying.

I don't care how strong willed you are. When you lose your family, friends, and your entire planet full of billions of people, you shed a few tears ;)

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think I'd agree with that. Leia doesn't show much effects from her entire planet and way of life being obliterated.

21. Darth_Saber-master

Darth_Saber-master Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2003
    TOO MUCH LOVE in AOTC.....WAY too much.

anyway,The death of Darth Vader/Anakin was taken very well by Luke, and so was the Owen/Beru death thing, as someone already said. I dont think Luke conveyed enough amotion when Yoda died in ESB....I cried.

I agree with darth zchour in saying that padmes shirt wasnt ripped enough. it would have been ripped enough in real life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.