main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Emperial Guards?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthMalak9876, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMalak9876

DarthMalak9876 Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2003
    You see emperial guards in the jedi council,you see them in retun of the jedi with Darth Vader.Are they stom troopers of some kind?Will we see them fight in episode 3,Are they good or evil?

2. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Do you mean Imperial Guards? ;)

If I am not mistaken, the main role of the Imperial guards seemed be that of Private body guards to the emperor.

3. DarthMalak9876

DarthMalak9876 Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2003
    Yeah,I messed up.Will we ever see them in action?

4. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Hmmmm . . .

Well . . . um . . . hmmmm . . .

So as I think about this, I can't help but ask why? What would it show? Besides let us "fan-boys" see just how "bad" they are (or are not), a fight of the Imperial Gaurd would do what for the story?

I can imagine situations that could show them fight . . . but when I put on my George Lucas mask and flannel shirt, I can't answer that basic question.

5. MOSEP

MOSEP Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2002
    "emperial guards in the jedi council"

Do you mean Palpatine´s office?

Anyway it would be great to see them in action.
    In "the visual dictinoray of epII" they are described as mysterious guards no one knows the origin of.
    Later on, empire-era, they are the men most loyal to the empire who are picked out to serve as the emperor´s guards.
    Their weapon of choice is this long energy pike.
    There are some deleted scene-pics on the net from ROTJ where you can see them using this.
    There was a thread some year ago where someone had posted a link to that site.

6. Sith9211

Sith9211 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2003
    Here is where you're mistaken. The guards you see in the Jedi Council are Republic Guards while the ones in Return of the Jedi are Imperial Guards. The ones in the Jedi Council are suposed to be good but some of them might be corrupt. The Imperial guards are complete evil, being elite stormtroopers. I hope we can see them fight in Episode III.

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    The Imperial guards are complete evil, being elite stormtroopers.

Just because they work for the bad guy doesn't mean they're 'complete evil'. They may be completely loyal to the Empire, but probably personally don't give a rip about dominating everyone else in the galaxy.

8. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I agree they are not evil, they are geneticly designed to follow orders and evil/good is irrelivant.

I would love to see them in battle, it would be cool to see what makes them so much better than the reg. troopers.

9. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    I agree they are not evil, they are geneticly designed to follow orders and evil/good is irrelivant

Genetically designed, eh? I don't recall that being mentioned in the films... ;)

10. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Either way we need to see what they are they for. :)

The Prequels are so full of eye candy that is just there to take up space, which isn't bad, but I want some eye candy with some functionality.

And yea I know we have Padme. :)

11. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    Either way we need to see what they are they for

Why? They are guards. That's it. They did nothing in the OT, and they have done nothing in the PT. I see no point to expanding their role at all

12. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    Genetically designed, eh? I don't recall that being mentioned in the films

They are designed to follow orders, I think it was implied by what was said in the conversation between Obi-Wan and whatever that Kamino's name was. Go watch the scene again.

13. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    And where does it say that the guards are clones like the stormtroopers? Afterall, there were similar guards in TPM, before the Clone Army was even ordered...

14. KfistoRox

Oct 31, 2002
    There needs to be a reason for there to be guards in the first place, other than just looking tough by having a posse. (spelling?) Give us some guard action Lucas!!

15. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    It doesn't say that the Imperial guards are clones anywhere that I know of. And I think we can safely say the ones in AOTC are not clones.

However, I read somewhere that they are "elite" stormtroopers". If Stormtroopers are clones how can you tell which ones are better?

16. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    There needs to be a reason for there to be guards in the first place, other than just looking tough by having a posse.

Uh, isn't guarding Palpatine the reason that the guards are there? ;) :p

Just because the overrated hood ornament that is Boba Fett got a major plotline in the prequels, doesn't mean that every bit of OT furniture needs a backstory. It's only going to appease rabid fanboys and will do nothing to advance the events of ep3.

However, I read somewhere that they are "elite" stormtroopers".

Unless it came from the mouth of George Lucas or from an existing SW film, I'm not going to believe that the guards are clones. There has been NO indication of it being so thus far.

So, yeah, I vote 'nay' ;)

17. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    And where does it say that the guards are clones like the stormtroopers? Afterall, there were similar guards in TPM, before the Clone Army was even ordered...

That is true, but logic would lead to the conclusion that once old man Palp's had a more reliable and obedient form of protection he would take it.

I for one cannot think of one reason why I would choose a standard soldier over a genetically enhanced and superior clone of a great bounty hunter.

It would be nice for GL to use them in some capacity in EP3, I have always wondered what kind of damage those spear like objects inflicted.

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, but it's like the same thing with Dooku: does he really need a bodyguard, even one as qualified as Jango Fett?

We're talking about one of the most powerful people in the GFFA, if not in history.

Palpatine doesn't need guards per se, I think he just has them for show.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they're quite capable, but necessary? I doubt it.

19. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    That is true, we saw in RotJ that he ordered them to leave the room and that is when it would have benifited him the most. It is probably a status symbol for him.

20. KfistoRox

Oct 31, 2002
    I would have a hard time believing they are clones also. Wouldn't make sense to me.

21. ACloneWhoIsDifferent

ACloneWhoIsDifferent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2003
    i believe that they fought in the eu

22. KfistoRox

Oct 31, 2002
    Sure people need body guards.

Obi and Qui Gon take on Maul. Was that a far fight?

Obi and Anakin were going to fight Dooku at the same time. And it could have been three on one when Yoda arrived if Anakin and Obi didn't get their butts kicked.

See what I'm getting at? Is two on one far? No. So guards do need to be there to settle the score.

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    oh, I'm sorry - now the Sith and the Jedi have to worry about being fair in their battles?

Well, in TPM, Maul had a saber-staff and was bad-ass, so that pretty much evened the odds.

Plus, you have to consider the likelihood that more than one person (or even one) could actually get into Palpatine's office or the Throne Room without being noticed.

That would be difficult, even for a Jedi.

Maybe Obi-Wan and Anakin should have been whining at Dooku because he used Sith Lightning...that wasn't very fair of him, was it?

Don't get me wrong, I can see the need for guards if Palpatine is NOT a Force-user, but for people like the Emperor and Dooku to have bodyguards seems extraneous. Or, more accurately, symbolic.

24. KfistoRox

Oct 31, 2002
    Two against one isn't far regardless of double bladed or not.

I'm not against the jedi for ganging up at all. You do what you have to do to fight evil. All I'm trying to show is the DS needs help in fighting off the jedi. They don't need guards standing around doing nothing at all.

And if the jedi go after Palpatine they really need more than just the clones, who can't hit the broad side of a barn for some reason, to have a good battle.

25. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    Two against one isn't far regardless of double bladed or not.

You think a double-bladed vs a single blade would be a fair fight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.