main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tampa, FL Emperial Officers

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Annya_Latoure2, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    I have been working on Emperial Officers uniforms and I have 2 completed, hats and all and working on a 3rd set. Can't wait to show them off at the DVD Event.

2. Darth_Lego_Maul

Darth_Lego_Maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm working on those costumes, too. (One in the ever growing list of costumes I'm making). I haven't gotten mine finished yet but hopefully I will soon. I saw hats that you made over at Marie's. They look great.

3. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Thanks. I've got 3 hats made. 2 Black Emperial Tunics and have the third cut out. Have to take a little time out for a Great Gadspy dress for a friend of mine for a Halloween Ball at the Country Club, then back to the Empire. Want to have as many new pieces completed before the holidays are full upon us.

4. Sereana_Nightstar

Sereana_Nightstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2002
    I need towork on my LOTR gowns...sounds like we need a sewing workshop!!

5. Darth_Lego_Maul

Jul 30, 2005
    I think I drooled a bit when I read the words "sewing workshop". You know, I have a sewing room in my house. Half of it is taken up by my new quilting machine (the Viking Mega Quilter with an Inspira frame), but I have a good sewing machine (Viking Interlude 445), a cutting table, and a whole lot of sewing supplies.

6. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Oh girlfriends, we gotta get together! I am beginning my savings account for an embroidery machine so I can make my own emperial cogs and rebel isignia patches myself. Also the gowns with all the fancy embellishments will be so much easier once I make the investment. Between Marie's collection of machines, my meager collection, and yours, we could probably have an ole' fashioned sewing bee. I know there are several members seriously interested in learning to sew, improving novice talents, and working with those of us who have been sewing for years. It would be great to get all those talents and undiscovered talents together.

I sew just about every day. It is more of a passion than...can you believe it...Star Wars. I suppose it is my medium as an artist. I love working with other people and seeing them discover the artistic outlet of material and thread. October is tight right now as far as scheduling goes, but my door is always open for an impromptu get together to put things together. I am home most every weekday evening and my living room is set up for sewing all of the time. Got big table for cutting out or setting up additional machines. Let's make a date for it.

7. Darth_Lego_Maul

Jul 30, 2005
    We should definitely set up a time to get together and work on sewing projects. As far as weekday evenings go, I am in class Tuesday and Thursday, but the rest of the evenings I am usually free. And often on the weekends, too.

I also sew every day- its a big passion of mine. I, too, would someday like to have one of the embroidery machines, but for now I just lust after them. It will take me awhile to pay for my new quilting machine (which I've named the Millenium Falcon, by the way). I had to borrow from the Bank of Grandma to get it. I have a tiny quilting business that I am hoping to expand, so I thought it was time to give in and get the machine. Plus, someone commissioned 3 king sized quilts from me and it would have been impossible to quilt them on my sewing machine. I also just started working on a Star Wars quilt. It is actually going to be a series of quilts, but I'm starting with A New Hope. The quilt is going to have a bunch of appliqued scenes from the movie. Then I'm going to make similar quilts for ESB and ROTJ.

I'm really happy to have gotten into costuming because it is another avenue for my sewing to take. So far I'm having a great time with it.

8. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    So maybe a Wednesday or a Friday? I would love to learn the art of quilting. It has come a long way from the simple geometric designs of the colonial days to the muticolored murals of taday's quilts. I have watched the shows on PBS several times and am amazed at the turns quilting has taken. They are closer to tapestries and paintings than a simple bed cover these days. Can you post some pix of some of your work?

Truth be told, I think the love of sewing (started at age 7) far preceded and overshadows my love of Star Wars. I saw a classic old sci-fi movie yesterday, "Forbidden Planet", and I think I want to do the officers uniforms from that one too. I also love the gowns that the "SILVER SCREEN" era actresses wore that were long and flowing and embellished much like our beloved Padme's gowns. Rennisance gowns are a great deal of fun too.

I think I may check out the local community theaters and see if there might be a nitche for me there. Fanclub politics is a bit overwhelming for me.

9. Darth_Lego_Maul

Jul 30, 2005
    I have class on Wednesdays until 5PM, but anytime after that would be good. Any Wednesday or Friday is good. Just let me know when you are available. And I would love to help you get started with quilting. In some of my quilts now I am trying to sneak in a little bit of Star Wars fabric. It's not always noticable that it's there, but it makes me happy that I know what it is. I made a Halloween quilt that had a Jack-O'-Lantern appliqued on it, and for the stem of the pumpkin I used the green from Yoda's lightsaber on the Yoda flannel fabric.

I will try to put up some pictures of my quilts later, but right now I am off to see yet another doctor about my back.

10. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I've a pattern for an Imperial uniform, I only requirce a grade A pattern for the hats. Anyone see any of the gaberdene or it's cheaper 'cousin' Gabadream" around?

11. Darth_Lego_Maul

Jul 30, 2005
    What pattern do you have for the Imperial Officer costume? Is it a pattern that someone made specifically for that costume, or is it one you can buy in a fabric store that you have modified? I'm using McCall's 4745 and modifying it a whole lot. At least its giving me a place to start. I just finished my first Imperial Officer hat. Its not great but I'm happy with it as a first attempt.

12. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    It's a simpliciy 7274 pattern for a Civil war jacket. I had to make some modificaitions. Making a separate pattern peice for the front 'flap' of the Imperial uniform. Adjusting the collar to look right, adding darts in the right spots for us curvy girls. Adding lining to the inside. And whatever else that pops up.

How's yours looking?

13. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    http://www.geocities.com/tkvanb/imperialcostumepageone.html]

Quite a few modifications, but well worth it for a nice look. There are guides online for making them and the hats too. I have both the hat and suit patterns.
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6236067&replies=18]

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6236159&replies=40]

http://www.geocities.com/tkvanb/imperialcostumepageone.html]

14. Darth_Lego_Maul

Jul 30, 2005
    So far the McCall's pattern is working well. It needs to be modified to include the tunic, of course, but it looks like the collar might actually be okay. And I guess when I get close to finishing it I will probably have to modify it a bit to acount for the fact that it is a pattern made for men, which I am not. Jo-Ann's is having a big sale today and tomorrow (I know they have sales a lot, but for this one I have 50% off coupons) so I am going to head over there to try to get things to finish up my costumes.

15. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Nothing like a sale and a coupon for fabric aye Darth lego.:-D I hope you find the fabric you want. The Imperial uniform never did look like it was ment to fit a female's form. Are you making a muslin one to works the bugs out of it before you use your good fabric?

16. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Actually you can get cheap fabric from Walmart for $1.00 that works really well for your practice runs or your completed project. They get a really good variety at the Super Walmart on GUnn Hwy in Tampa. I find great stuff there all of the time and often buy the entire 20 yard bolt when I find an especailly good buy. Unfortunately my auto insurance is due this weekend so there will be no "MIDNIGHT Fabric runs" for me today.:_|

17. Darth_Lego_Maul

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm not using muslin, but I did get another really cheap fabric to play around with until I get it right. I'll hopefully get this done soon, and then the next one shouldn't be as bad since I'll have figured out what I'm doing (in theory).

18. jedi-knight-FL

jedi-knight-FL Jedi Master star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    Thank you Denise for making the Imperial Officer's costume for me for the DVD release event.

19. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    It looks great on you.[face_batting]

20. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Now Matt has an olive drab Naval officers uniform to go with his Sith personna too.

21. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    I finished your hat and made two more. Started on another Naval officer's uniform,(olive drab), men's large. Hat is finished. Started coat. I plan to make several Emperial Uniforms of various colors (different Branches of IMPS)in various sizes so we can have extras for events for those who do not own their own. I must say my "armoury" is growing. I enjoy the work and it helps alleviate stress, which I have truck loads of right now. Anyway, my costumes are my theraphy and it has fewer calories than drinking.[face_coffee]

22. LukeCeremonial22569

LukeCeremonial22569 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 23, 2002
  23. Hopkins9482

Hopkins9482 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2004
    Though it's not needing it, bump again...and as a side note...

It's Imperial not Emperial o_O

24. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Made you look though didn't it? I have Matt's Imperial Navy hat, Jace's Imperial Navy uniform and hat, sans belt, and Ron Michael's Imperial Navy completed and will be bringing them to the December gathering. Ross has to finish Matt's belt still. I also have Ross's Bikerscout "soft uniform" pieces to show off at the December gathering. The sewing keeps me off the streets at night and is really therapeutic in tough times like these. I plan to also build Alex and child's version of Imperial officer uniform...maybe an Admiral or a Moff would be cute in the mini me version. It is all a matter of insignia and epaulettes.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.