main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Emperor Death - Blue Exsplosion

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What is the blue energy that follows the Emperor being thrown down the Death Star reactor shaft in Return of the Jedi?

2. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    His lightning bolts he was generating struck the Death Star's energy grid causing an internal explosion.

3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think the EU explained it as a massive burst of Dark Side energy.

I always thought it was just the effects of Palpatine's lightening hitting something down the shaft, making a big, electrically charged explosion.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Ignore the two posters above, they're just trying to mess with you.

What happened was the Emperor fell into the Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark and was killed by the wrath of God.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

That why the subtitles have the Emperor saying "It's beatifuuuuuulllll!" as he falls.

6. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yes, but only the Latin subtitles on some foreign releases of the 2004 DVD, and you have to play the disc in reverse to read it.

7. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Also notice that Anakin is the only one who looks straight at it. In the next scene, he dies.

DavidSword79 and DarthCricketer like this.
  8. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Also note that the Imperials are essentially Space Nazis. Nazis in Space, if you'd prefer. Now, all together now: who did the Ark of the Covenant kill in Raiders?

You don't need numbers to connect these dots, folks.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  9. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

Historically - if you check the timeline in your bibles - the empire came first - so wouldn't they be Earth Imperials?????

10. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

That's hilarious and smart!

Do you think that energy from the Emperor could have actually had any part in Vader's death???

11. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    I've always believed so. We start seeing Vader's skeleton pulsing with electricity while he has the Emperor raised above his head, and we continue to see his skull through the mask as he looks down into the chasm as the Emperor explodes. The Sith energy -- out of control lightning unleashed during Vader's ambush attack -- undoubtedly contributes to Vader's demise.

jc1138 and Iron_lord like this.
  12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    In all seriousness, since I was a kid I just assumed the Force lightning fried Vader's life support. We saw Luke get electrocuted for far longer and although he was close, he didn't die.

Lt. Hija and DarthCricketer like this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

That's true. Also, Sidious was enraged and shocked at the time. I like to interpret Anakin/Vader using the Force to contain Sidious and then force him downward.

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

Totally agree.

And I like to think it went further than that with the lightning irreparably damaging what was left of Anakin's organic body. So Anakin actually died, it wasn't just a mechanical problem alone. And even if there was some crazy way Luke could have replaced Vader's parts on the shuttle or before the Death Star blew up - nothing could have saved Anakin. What was left of the man died. Somehow for me that is more romantic and complete an ending.

15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    More than that, what did Anakin have to live for? Standing trial in front of a war crimes committee to spend what was left of his life incarcerated, or perhaps even facing execution? No. This was about the best death he could ask for, knowing he had at last done something to earn the love his son unconditionally held for him.

16. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I interpreted the blue explosion as Palpatine being destroyed in the reactor shaft and his evil energy being dissipated in his destruction. Not really anything to do with the lightning per se, but more saying that both in person and in spirit he is no more. Must say Anakin dying 'because his injuries were too great' or whatever the exact line was confused me. Yes he does get lightning on him, but it didn't register very easily to me that this might be the cause, probably because it's not particularly noticeable as a specific event in the scene.

17. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    The loud, raspy wheeze and his inability to move without Luke's assistance kind of clued me in that something was wrong with him.

Sarge likes this.
  18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    are people seriously just now realizing that palps lightning killed vader? omg.

Dandelo likes this.
  19. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    The OP asked the question. We answered. Which part are you unclear on?

20. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014

Most people probably understand lightning from the Emperor killed Darth Vader. But how the lightning actually killed Vader could be open for debate. Like did the fan for his hard drive get fried and that's what killed him. Or was his heart char broiled in his chest.

The main questions of the thread is however - What is that blue energy explosion that happens after the emperor is thrown down the reactor shaft?

21. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    The question was in relation to the reactor shaft so if someone could explain what that actually is would be convenient as it is the subject of debate. For me reactor shaft is an energy grid that flows through the Death Star, electrically charged and travels through cylindrical tubes.

22. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I have always interpreted the blue 'exsplosion' to have been dark side energy released from Sidious. I see it like this because Sidious was THE MOST powerful Sith lord of all time and his death had to be quite spectacular in the sense that his raw power had to be released. This view is also supported by the EU (RIP). :D

Anyone else agree with this? :)

Admiral Volshe and Sarge like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yes, I think he was so deep into the Dark side that he got himself into a kind of feedback loop where he kept calling for more power and doing more damage to himself. It was a vicious circle that ended with a bang.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I thought it was clear that the "blue energy" was the result of solid matter (Sheev's body and clothing) falling into the reactor and that Vader died because as he picked up and carried Sheev, Sheev's lightning short-circuited Vader's armor.

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the emperor got disintegrated by the energy in the shaft.