main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Emperor has dissolved the council permanently" -The Imperial Senate

Discussion in 'Literature' started by marvelfett11, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvelfett11

marvelfett11 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    While there have been mentions here and there about the dissolution of the Senate (beyond ANH)have there been any stories that deal with this directly?

I don't think that there have, but some of you on here have a little more knowledge than I do about certain things, hence the question.

If not, wouldn't it be a great tale?

I apologize if this seems lioke a "What if?" thread. It's not meant to be.

MF11

2. marvelfett11

marvelfett11 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Alrighty then..... I'll take that as a no.:)

3. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I only remember former Senator Simone Greyshade from Classic StarWars, who after his stint in the senate became manager of "The Wheel".

Aside from that the only tip I can give you is the analysis-section on domuspublica.net. You might find what you are looking for in one of the essays or biographies.

4. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I'd kind of like to see this. Maybe from the perspective of on Mothma. We really need a book for Mon Mothma and her political strfie during this time. There's loads of other senators who could provide interestingperspective to this. Presumably they saw this coming as Leis wasn't on Corruscant, maybe she saw it coming and decided to act.

This is a story I think has legs.

5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    It might be interesting to have a short story where we follow someone like Bail leading up to the moment and see how he might deal with it, that strengthened resolve to oppose the Empire even more followed by the appearance of a certain infamous giant sphere...

6. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Mon Mothma had been publicly identified as a traitor a couple years before the dissolution of the Senate, right around the time of the formal declaration of Rebellion.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Imperial Sourcebook contains the original memoranda Ars Dangor used to announce the suspension of the Senate.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The Imperial Sourcebook will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that Licensing will dissolve the canon permanently. The last remnants of the old continuity have been swept away.

:_|

9. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    That's both sadly hilarious and hilariously sad.

10. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Thx, I spat out my breakfast on reading this before I noticed WHO posted it... shame on you [face_shame_on_you][face_liarliar] ! Now I got to clean my computer and everything in its vincinity. I hope milk does not stick and start to smell.. bah

Back on topic:

The Imp Sourcebook was nice on this topic, but there are no prominent characters (Mon Mothma, Garm Bel Iblis, Leia, Bail Organa, etc. all are traitors before that happened) to use for a story to show these events running paralell to ANH. I always had hoped for it to be shown along with a good ANH lead in novel. But with TFU and lots of EU sources out, it's doubtfull we'll ever get it done.

It'd be interesting though to see Senator Pooja Naberrie of Naboo and others like maybe Riyo Chuchi or other young Prequel characters that are known to be senators in the OT (via various EU sources) to star in a novel about that topic!

I could see something along those lines:

Shortly before Alderaans destruction, Palpatine learns of the capture of Leia and the final proof that she is a Rebel, too, like her father. First the official Imperial policy was to destroy the Tantive IV and kill the prisoners broadcasting a distress signal making it so that it looks like an accident. Using that proof, Palpatine decides to go public and announced the Traitors to the public. He dissolves the Senate and starts further investigations placing trackers on other senators trails to see if they run to their former friends or for their lives marking them as enemies as well while Moffs get full control. With Tarkin informed, Alderaan gets blown up.

the potential novel might star Pooja Naberrie as Naboo Senator rallying support (Senators of Mon Calamari, Kashyyyk, Ithor, Naboo, Caamas etc.?) to block more of the Emperors projects that the Senate still had some minor financial control over. Then the Senate is dissolved and they are marked traitors and some run to join the Rebellion with Emperors Inquisitors on their trail. A few might meet Bail and find refuge on Alderaan just as the Death Star appears. Heck even WINTER aka Targeter might be in the novel and while Bail stays on Alderaan lift off with some Senators and Rebels from the far side of Alderaan so that the Death Star does not detect her Blockade Runner leaving make it the Sundered Heart with Cpt Antilles and you got enough prominent stuff to call it a novel worth of reading for the fans.

They might even show their arrival at Yavin IV and the panick spreading there as the message of Alderaans destruction arrives, with Bail AND Leia thought to be dead along with the DS plans. Even a cameo of Han, Leia, Chewie and Luke is possible in the end when they arrive, showing some rebel scenes or training before the Death Star comes.

11. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Quick show of hands, please...

Who, as a kid, had this mental image of the senate being, quite literally, dissolved with acid or something similar when Tarkin said those words?

[face_talk_hand]

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

ahem... [face_hypnotized]

not really

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    good heavens, this isn't the Jedi we're talking about! The Emperor would never act in so untoward a manner.

14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    But it's an awesome vision in my mind.

15. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Obviously, you've never heard of Bevel Lemelisk... :p

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Never in my mind did that ever enter my thoughts...

...but I now am never going to be able to get that image out of my head when I watch ANH.

Someone make this canon now! Now I tell you, now! [face_skull] =P~

17. Magicks

Magicks Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2010
    When Tarkin said the line, and punctuated a certain part of it, I immediately thought that the entire Senate had been executed. Not with acid though.

Fallen Jedi Master likes this.
  18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Surprisingly not. that is a good mental image.

Did anyone else think Tarkin was the Emperor when they were younger. I remember thinking that, though looking back that doesn't make a lick of sense.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Firstly, reading Darksaber can give you migranes.

Secondly, he's a scientist. They're like domesticated pets. Except pets should be treated humanely.

20. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    You know, using that 'scientist' line on a guy going into a scientific field wasn't exactly your brightest debating tactic, Jello. I mean, sure, Lemelisk was an engineer, and I'm going into paleontology, but still- all you specified was scientist. And I take offense at the suggestion that I don't deserve humane treatment. [face_shame_on_you]

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Ah, so THAT'S why you're a Dewback Rancher. :p

22. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    Yep. I've loved dewbacks forever due to their oh-so-dinosaurian appearance. ;)

23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the issue with building a story on the Senate being dissolved is that it would provide drama to what is really an afterthought.

The Senate, for all dramatic and plot purposes, stops being of any matter in ROTS...the mention in ANH is actually very telling in how nonchalant it is.

The Senate goes out on a whimper...less than that even. It had no bearing on the Emperor...it had no bearing on the new counterforce to the Emperor (Rebellion)...it had been shelved, and with an utterance, slips from the shelf to the trash bin.

Ignominious, abrupt, and without protest.

It vanishes and no one cares.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, this has been a debate? Pardon me, I've forgotten my jar of tips and tricks. Next time I'll be certain to tailor and adjust my arguments to fit the biases and passions of my audience, thereby making my arguments more honest and authentic.

However, just hypothetically speaking... suppose you reconstructed the perfect model behind dinosaur extinction, and then all it took to knock it down was some hotshot kid with a a theory he'd come up with while high on some sort of drug that a crazy old man fed him. Now, you might feel bad--or you might thank the kid for improving your craft or whatnot, but how do you think your employer, who was depending on this theory to enforce a sort of global consensus on, err, climate change, would feel?

25. dewback_rancher

Aug 23, 2009
    I would expect him to understand that science is inherently tentative, and that you can never truly "prove" anything in science, and can only DISprove something. Ergo, he should know that was a risk before putting all his eggs in one basket. And not, y'know, repeatedly kill me and clone me and then kill me in a new, more horrifically painful way for his own twisted amusement. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.