main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Emperor Plagueis

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by TheNewEmpire, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    You've hit the nail right on the head. Bringing Plagueis forward is akin to walking through a creative minefield, given the
    anticipation of the character that started with Ian McDiarmid's brilliant performance. Who, exactly is Plagueis; is he
    even real? Was he just a metaphor or an outright lie concocted by Palpatine to ensnare Anakin? Yet watching Palpatine's
    deliciously malevolent sneer as he relishes the thought of Plagueis being murdered in his sleep leaves the impression that,
    despite being psychotic, Palpatine is telling the truth.

Maybe it would be better to leave Plagueis as just some shadowy figure of legend rather than risking the disappointment
    that is sure to follow if his manifestation on screen is less than anticipated.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Bingo. It's also one reason why I have not and will not read anything with Darth Bane in it. Not that I don't think it would be good. But I want him to be a shadowy figure and part of the mysterious backstory to the prequels. Same with Plagueis the Wise.

And even if my favorite PT-EU author, Luceno, penned it, I would have a hard time reading about Palpatine's backstory too.

These mysteries are the same kind of things that kept OT-era fans wondering "what was the clone wars?", etc, back before SW publishing really took off.

Sometimes leaving things open fires the imaginations and anticipations of fans.
    Today we have so many answers to everything.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Meh. :p I wanna know the ins and outs of Plagueis' recruitment of Palpatine, his training, et all. They can leave confirmation of Anakin's origins out of the end and still provide us with a great novel.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah but you just know some mediocre EU writer will have a Jean-Claude Van Damme-sque younger Palpatine doing spin kicks and destroying seeker droids and stuff in his training.

They will essentially flat-line the character as they've done to numerous other characters.

These EU authors always have a tendency to homogenize all the characters. I wouldn't want to see that with someone as unique as Palpatine.

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    But the hope remains...

We've seen the end result, I want to know how he was molded. 10 great lines about dominion, power and control are hardly enough to sum up Palpatine's training. Maul gave us the ultimate example of a... martial art minded apprentice. I want to how Plagueis taught Sidious to rule... the action of it, the methods, the whole nine. I want to see the way DP molded him. So no. No training droids.

I wanna see how Bane's Sith went from taming little lizards into following you to their doom, all the way to getting the Nemodians to fight Galaxy-wrecking wars for you...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.