main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Emperor's Black Bones and other SW Galaxy phrases

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The_Answer, Sep 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    stang you TC :p

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Let's not forget Lando's "by the Core", and such in TLCA.

TC

3. RogueJaina

RogueJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    It seems to me that Zahn is the one who most often makes these words up.

The non-curse words have hardly been mentioned- "duracrete", "plasteel", "duraplast", "flimsiplast" or "flimsies", and "durasteel", as well as many others are words for the materials that make up the EU.
    It's pretty easy to understand what they mean (and I accidentally said a building was made out of duracrete once), but they aren't real words, either.

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Many of those words came from Daley by the way.

5. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    I loved when Anakin said "Flaming Moffs" in EoVR. That's such a great phrase, and I can just picture Anakin saying that in horror/exasperation when he thinks Tahiri and him have been found out!!! :)

6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    TC : "Here's one I made up. 'Xit.' It's a Falleen curse." Mind explaining it to me ? (I think I got it, but I'm not sure... PM, maybe ?)

7. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

"Kiss my Wookiee- Kiss my @$$ "

Actually...I would think that wookiue means something else....but I'm not going to say. :d

8. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    We forgot "Great Skies!" (See "Emperor's Black Bones")

It's another Zahnism, I think.

9. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    In an early post someone mentioned Frag being a gamer term...and whlie this is true...didn't it actualy originate in the Vietnam war?...something about killing your commander?...i'm not sure but my dad was suprised and confused when he first heard me use it in a gaming context......

And while its not Star Wars...in Terry Goodkind's sword of truth...the most common curse seems to be "Bags!"......while never(at least not yet) explained it seems to replace Dam*......just thought i'd mention it...

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Jaster your probably right, about it originating from a war, but I don't know about the commander part, hmm, something to look into.

11. El_Cid_Campeador

El_Cid_Campeador Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2001
    A few terrestrial expletives have found their way into Star Wars---for example, "damn," "Hell," "bastard," and "son of a bitch."

Indeed, "Hell" has been used at least three times by Han Solo in the films &c.---twice in A New Hope ("I sure's Hell would've boosted your fee," and "What the Hell are you doing?") and once in The Empire Strikes Back ("Then I'll see you in Hell!").

And then, Mara Jade's wonderful interjection "The Gates of Hell you did!"

12. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    ahem, some of my favorites:

"Slimy piece of worm-ridden filth" Han to Jabba the Hutt
    "Misguided scrap pile" 3po to r2
    "Overweight glob of grease" 3po to r2
    "Scoundrel" Leia to Han :)
    "No good, double-crossing swindler" Lando to Han

and some of the more generic curses:

"Stang" = dang or damn
    "Sithspawn" = ****
    "Poodoo" = we all know it technically means fodder, but come on, sounds more like **** to me
    "Blasted" = damned
    "Blast" = damn
    "E chuta" = i have no idea, but it's obviously insulting

and i do remember Han calling Nil Spaar a son of a b*tch. i was very proud of him. :) sometimes, i wish some of the novels would include more of our traditional earthly curses. it would make some of the writing more effective.

13. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    Vaping Moffs is, in my opinion, the best by far.

JMA

14. FarmboyKatarn

FarmboyKatarn Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    Here's a list of sayings/curses that I've come across and who said them:

Frag!
    Blast!
    By the Force!
    What in the name of all the stars?
    By the gods!
    Sithspawn!
    Mother of Madness!
    Kriff!
    Stang!
    Emperor?s Black Bones!
    What in the Emperor?s name?
    Freeze, Jabba, in the 9th circle of damnation!

Did you know that Stang actually originated on Alderaan?

15. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I think there just easy ways of swearing without getting offensive. Sci-Fi is filled with "colorful metaphores" as Kirk puts in in Trek IV; funny thing is most Sci-Fi has made up swear words except the Trekies?!?

To further corrupt our minds, other sci-fi swear words for F--- which seems the most common to be edited out (go figure)
    "Frell" from Farscape
    "Frak" from Battlestar Galactica

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Frak comes from, an old saying "Frik and frak", also known as Friken Fraken, etc.

17. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    "Xizor" is pronounced "Shi-zor". You figure the rest out. ;)

TC

18. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, I had it... Just needed some confirmation...

19. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, don't forget Lambda shuttles, and the imperial flight groups are alpha, beta, theta, zeta, mu, &c...

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, greek letters.

Tau, Omega, etc are a few more of your list(though there not curses).

21. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    To quote The Guinness Book of More Military Blunders (by Geoffery Regan)...
    ----------

Fragging

Mutiny in the British or American armies has been a very rare event in modern times. Yet mutiny can take many forms and one that has become more widespread in the 20th century is known as 'fragging', that is the murder of officers or NCOs who show an over-eagerness for seeking combat with the enemy or undertaking other dangerous missions. During the First World War, young officer- often no more than eighteen year old lieutenants, fresh from public school- had to order men to go 'over the top' in the face of a withering enemy fire. It was relatively simple for the officer to be shot in the heat of battle so that his men could remain in their trenches for lack of anyone to lead them. In the Vietnam War it has been estimated that as many as 20 per cent of officer fatalities were a result of fragging, either through shooting or more often by an apparently misdirected grenade.

The murder of unpopular officers, often in action, has been widely documented even as far back as Roman times. One famous example from the 18th century involved a major of the 15th Foot Regiment at the battle of Blenheim in 1704. The man was an infamous martinet who had treated his men harshly in the past and was thoroughly hated. Aware of this he addressed his men before the fight, saying that if he should fall in the coming fight at least let it be by an enemy bullet. A soldier replied that they had more to think about than him at that moment and so the regiment went into battle. After victory had been won he turned to his men, raised his hat and called for a cheer, only to fall with a bullet through his head. During the First World War one notably unpopular sergeant was dispatched when one of his men came up behind him and dropped an unpinned grenade down his trousers, blowing him to pieces.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Thanks for the info.

23. darthmalt16

darthmalt16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2000
    Anyone remember a thread about this about a year back? n e way I like it when they use sw words instead of curse words it means I don't hae to worry about my parents or anyone else seeing them

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Vaping Moffs is good...

But I've created the best one!

Holy Sandblasted Sithlords!!!!

25. RB-wan

RB-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2000
    I think one of the best Earth-to-GFFA usages occurred in Children of the Jedi ( and probably Planet of Twilight,I'm not quite sure ). Remember the scene in the SW equivalent of a sports bar on Belsavis, where Han's trying to get information out of a drunken Duros? She keeps using variations of "fester", just like any drunk deep into their cups would use the F word repeatedly in conversation. ( Hell, I use it quite often, and to great effect, WITHOUT drinking! )

And like any drunk female, she keeps hitting on Han, calling him "Sugardrawers" and "Angelpants"...or maybe she was just old and hard-up. This was one of the funniest moments in the book.

Bri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.