main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Emperor's Shadow" - Mara, Luke, H/L - Complete - AUTHOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT 8/7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    ?You know.? Mara said right as she opened the door. ?I don?t suppose it matters at all that I didn?t assassinate Baletan.? The door closed behind her.
    Leia blinked. Never once during her discussions with Baletan and Mara did it ever occur to her ask Mara if she was actually guilty or not.

I like this part because it describes very accurately, without hitting you over the head with it, the way most of the galaxy pictures Mara Jade. This is a tactic i need to work on myself, so know that i am impressed.

Of course, nothing could happen and the problem might go away on its own.
    ?And lakes could start forming on Tatooine.? Mara mused.

:D :D :D You capture her sense of humor perfectly :)

I'm caught up again!
    ;) paige

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Just stumbled onto this story. Like it very much. Please continue soon?

I love the characterization of Mara. She's my favorite canon female character.

Jes

3. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 3 just recently went under the knife again. I dunno, it's such an important chapter and I felt that it needed just a little more work on the sentence structure. Hopefully part 1 will be up in a few days.

maramijade - Loved Leia's thought about Succesor. . . - You can thank the New Jedi Order series for giving me that little insight. Glad you still like!

Mirax-Jade - ::catches up:: - Yeah, sorry about that. I'm gonna slow down to a couple of days between posts. And thanks!

Thrawn_McEwok - was as poised and perfect as I'm coming to expect from your 'fic... - You flatter me to much. No really, you do. o_O
    I'm not sure whether Leia's little murmur is your instinctive fondness for dictatorships creeping out, but it's certainly her instinctive fondness for dictatorships - she's her father's daughter, after all... which is fine, and subtle, and superb... - Well, I kinda got the insight while reading the New Jedi Order books. However, you do know my fondness for Absolutism. Possibly that snuck in there. I don't know. I'll have to think more about where this scene came from.

Tahi - I've read the first post and really loved it. - Thanks! I'm glad you liked the narrative and action!
    It was also good to see Skidder get a short sharp shock. - I was gonna make up a character, or just not give him a name, but then I got to thinking about Skidder's role in NJO, and, well, this happened. Something tells me I need to think more. :) hehehehehe

Lady Jade - She really doesn't like being stuck in situations that she has no control over. - This is true, which makes what she does comming up here in the next two chapters seem rather curious. Just a little tease. ;)

Benjor45 - Sharp as always I see.
    They were a great pair at the end of TLC, but after all the crap that came afterwards... - Oh I know. Mara was/is such a cool character. Makes you wonder why no one picked her up as such later on and instead used her as a delievery gal.
    Trouble is, from what I know of the NJO, Luke and Mara seem to have been lobotomized or replaced by clones. Probably lobotomized clones. - Don't get me started on how Mara was treated in the NJO, or Luke for that matter. NJO...bad...bad thing.
    Exactly. Luke never forced her to open up to him. He just made it clear he was there if she wanted. - Funny you should mention that....
    Trust issues, trust issues. - Funny you should mention that too. Hey McEwok, have you been leaking chapter 3????

Ariapaige - This is a tactic i need to work on myself, so know that i am impressed. You capture her sense of humor perfectly - Thanks! [face_blush]

Jesina Dreis - Just stumbled onto this story. Like it very much. Please continue soon? - Glad you liked! And sure will, just for you!

4. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Here goes Chapter 3, Part 1. I hope you all enjoy.

I'm going to put about two to three days between posting now, to make it easier on you guys. I've been lurking around and I noticed some writers PM their readers when they update. If anyone wants me to PM them when I update I'll be more then happy to. Just let me know in your reply or PM me if you're a lurker too.

Lastly, if you haven't done so, you might want to check out Training Day. It's a short fic from an idea that came from writting this story. It's about Mara when she worked for Palpatine.

Anyways....Enjoy!

5. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 3 - Part 1

It had been three days since Devin Baletan first told Leia his suspicions about his father?s death. He said he would return when he had the evidence he was looking for. Leia hadn?t expected to see him so soon. She had hoped not to see him again at all.

?Please, have a seat.? Leia said cordially as Baletan and his group were ushered into her office. ?How is your search going??

?As well as we had hoped. Kar had a few leads and we followed them nicely to this.? Baletan gestured to his assistant.

Kali removed a datacard from her case and passed it over to Leia. It was labeled The Rising Twilight, Latorin.

??The Rising Twilight???

?One of a few gypsy-like entertainment troupes who traveled the galaxy during the time of the Empire.? Baletan was trying to hide a smug grin. ?They performed plays, ballads, and dances wherever they could. The Emperor wasn?t very keen on such groups. So naturally they ended up on out-of-the-way worlds like Latorin.?

?This particular group performed on Latorin the day before Darlen Baletan?s death.? Lotan continued. ?I remembered watching them perform at a private show hosted by Jori Netlan who was the Minister of Commerce at the time. Netlan?s cousin, Morak, had a passion for making holodocumentaries. He wasn?t very good.?

?Fortunately, this piece of work was decent and rare enough that someone thought to save it.? Baletan no longer hid his grin. ?We have it keyed to a certain point in the performance. Please, take a look.?

Maybe it was the Force. Maybe it was the look on Baletan?s face. Leia knew she wasn?t going to like what she was about to see.

Slowly Leia placed the datacard into her datapad. A stilled image appeared. It was a grand ballroom like many Leia had seen during her youth. She could make out the delicate floral pattern that snaked its way across the pale green walls to three tall transparisteel windows that dominated the far end. Leia imagined that in the daylight the design etched into the windows would have cast a forest-like shadow on the floor mosaic, which itself reminded Leia of a meadow.

Dozens of people were gathered around the edges of the main floor to watch the performances. The men and women were all dressed in fine robes and some lounged on huge chaises plush with rich fabrics, while others stood and no doubt gossiped. More severely dressed servants looked hurried about their tasks.

Yes, it was an image Leia knew well, but what was she supposed to see?

Four young women stood in a diamond pattern in the center of the ballroom. Another woman was frozen in mid-spin between them. Each girl wore a strip of soft blue fabric accented with glittering stones fitted about her chest and one shoulder. Cuts of the same blue fabric streamed from their wrists and decorated headpieces. Wrapped low around their waists and high on their long lean legs were skirts that barely passed all common laws of decency.

Jabba the Hutt would have been proud of these outfits. Leia couldn?t help but reminisce.

Wraps of beads weighed down the dancer?s ankles. The outer four women stood motionless on the very tips of their toes, arms gracefully outstretched into an elegant pose. Leia winced at memories of her own dance instruction. She never could understand why learning this particular move was so important to her Social Graces teachers. Leia couldn?t think of anyone for whom such advanced dance stances would ever be important, even if they were beautiful to view.

No, there was one person Leia knew. ?You said this was taken the day before Darlen Baletan was assassinated??

?Yes,? Baletan replied. ?The troupe did not leave till late the following day. Well after my father was murdered.?

?And we had the image authenticated by the NRI as well as an outside source.? Lotan cut in. ?Just in case you were thinking this was faked. That is Mara Jade, the Emperor?s Hand.?

It was the young woman on the left. Her hair obscured by the headdress and her features soft with youth. But there was no mistakin

6. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    she wasn't there to assasinate that guy, it may have been cover for a job later down the line or she was there for someone else.

7. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I meant to comment earlier re: chapter 2, part 2 - but I liked that Mara didn't immediately jump to defend herself when accused. Her calm, professional, just-the-facts demeanor was very appropriate. And, as far as her innocence or guilt is concerned, personally, it wouldn't bother me if she did do it. It was her job. Then again, I'm not an apologist when it comes to her Imperial-era activities....but that's just me.

Anyhoo - all that to say, I like your characterization of Mara very much. Looking forward to more of the story. :D

8. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Sorry I've missed a few posts. You put up new ones before I have time to formulate a response. :p Great work by the way.

Everything appears to be going downhill now.

I wonder how long it will take for things to get to the point where they have to call in the heavy artillery (aka Luke) to get Mara out of this mess.

9. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Gah.

I love how you descibed her eyes...hauntingly...::shiver::

I cannot wait for more. :D

10. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    The picture doesn't count as proof cuz Mara didn't do it!!! Great post though! :D

And I'd love a PM when u update if you don't mind.

11. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    tsk tsk tsk. Don't you dare start doubting her, Leia!

I love the reminiscence on Leia's part.

Jes

12. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Mara was there, but someone else made the hit.

13. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Naw, Mara made the hit and she's lying. And she and Luke aren't meant to be together.

::Runs away as fast as possible::

;) Joking, of course.

::Keeps running for the heck of it::

14. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    maramijade - she wasn't there to assasinate that guy, it may have been cover for a job later down the line or she was there for someone else. - So quick to defend our Jade I see. That's so cool. It would be nice if Mara had more friends like you.

Jedi Trace - Her calm, professional, just-the-facts demeanor was very appropriate. - That was part of the reason I wrote it that way, but there is another that you soon will see. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Jedi BMX - Sorry I've missed a few posts. - Yeah, sorry about that. Slowing down now. I can PM you when updates if you like.
    I wonder how long it will take for things to get to the point where they have to call in the heavy artillery (aka Luke) to get Mara out of this mess. - You're assuming a lot there. These next few chapters are going to be rather interesting.

Mirax-Jade - I love how you descibed her eyes...hauntingly...::shiver:: - Thank you for vidicating me. When McEwok beta'd this thought I should change what I wrote. I said no. Thanks!

Lady Jade - The picture doesn't count as proof cuz Mara didn't do it!!! - Everyone is so quick to defend Mara. It's so great! And sure, I'll PM you with updates.

Jesina Dreis - Don't you dare start doubting her, Leia! - You're gonna love this next part...

StarFighter5 - Mara needs more friends like you.

TheCrazyRodian - Naw, Mara made the hit and she's lying. - You never know....you never know...

15. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Red: well, as usual, you know I liked this one... I really liked your control of Leia's thoughts on the matter, from her putting it out of mind through the dialogue of the meeting, and then into and around the image...

Apart from that - just a quiet, friendly, late-night UPP!!

- The Imperial Ewok

16. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Here we go, another part to chapter three. This one is very important. I hope you all enjoy.

I noticed that I got nominated for the Winter Reader's Choice Awards. I didn't even know you had reader awards here! They had to be pointed out to me. I feel very honored and want to thank whoever nominated me. Thanks!!

I also put up another vignette that I thought up while writing this fan fic. One Last Date is a little tale of Mara and Lando. Not as important or "tied-in" as Training Day, but pretty fun. It's got an action scene!

Thrawn McEwok - Here goes another, I know you liked the Mara/Leia confrontation in this one.

17. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 3 - Part 2

?Like the name.? Han tried desperately not to roll his eyes, but did anyway.

?Ah, come on Han.? Lando Calrissian?s broad grin flashed through the holotransmission. ?The Deep Pockets is a sure fire investment.?

?Oh, so is that why you called?? Lando had just finished telling Han about his current project, the mining of the water planet Varn with the ore miner Deep Pockets. Han knew that Lando was actually very good at setting up profitable businesses. But there was no way he would ever let Lando reel him into investing. For one, Leia would kill him. Secondly, Lando was also very good at loosing those profitable businesses. Usually because he gambled it away or someone decided to destroy it.

Han grinned. The Imperials seemed to have a fetish for wrecking Lando?s businesses.

?Nothing like that. Me and Tendra have all that covered. I set it up and she finances it.?

?Brave woman.?

?Han.? Lando momentarily dropped his flashy grin. ?Tendra has a lot of faith in my abilities. I?m not going to loose this one.?

Han wanted to ask just what or who Lando was referring to, but that might have been just a little too cruel to do to his old friend at this stage of the game. ?Well, just stay away from the Sabacc tables okay.?

?What? You afraid I?ll win back the Falcon? Again?? That flashy grin was back.

?We?ll never play for the Falcon again. We made a deal!? Han grimaced. A few years back when he wasn?t in a particularly good mood he let Lando goad him into playing Sabacc for the Falcon and Lando won. Lando tried to give the ship back to Han when he realized why Han was in a bad mood. Leia had almost died on Vortex just a day before.

But a deal was a deal.

Lando and Han played another game a few days after that and Han won back the Falcon. Later Han had a feeling that Lando might have let him win that one. That?s probably why he let himself play one more time for ownership. The last and final game the two agreed. Han couldn?t believe it when Lando won. He couldn?t believe it any more when Lando then gave the Falcon back to him. There was nothing altruistic about the situation though. Mara was there at the time and Lando was trying to impress her.

Mara.

?Hey Lando, have you heard about Mara Jade??

?No.? Some concern flashed across his face. ?What?s happened??

?Some guy from Latorin accused her of murder.?

?Murder?? Lando almost laughed the word.

?What??

?I don?t know.? Lando shrugged. ?Murder implies killing in cold blood. That doesn?t track with the Mara Jade I know.?

?No, it doesn?t.? Han knew Mara was deadly. Many had discovered that the hard way. But despite the fact that she refused to go his Academy, Luke said she was still a Jedi of sorts. She never struck people down in anger or cold blood. There was that time she cut down Luke?s clone, but you could hardly fault the woman for that incident. Mara was still suffering the effects of the Emperor?s control over her. ?But they are accusing her of an assassination that Palpatine might have ordered twenty years ago.?

?Oh.? Lando?s face went blank.

?Did she ever mention anything about it??

?Why would she??

?Well, you were dating her.?

?Oh, right.? There was that I-know-something grin again. ?No. She never brought up her past and, to be honest, I was afraid to ask.?

?Don?t blame you.? Han mumbled, that old paranoia sneaking up on him again. Now wasn?t the time to question Lando about his relationship with Mara.

?I?ve got my hands full at the moment, but if there is anything I can do to help her you let me know okay??

?Will do.?

After Lando caught up on how everyone else in the family was doing he said his goodbyes. It was good timing too as Leia was due to come home any minute. Although when she was due home, and when she came home, were two separate things.

Han let out a long breath and he went and fixed himself a drink. He was getting tired of sitting around all day with nothing to do but tweak the Falcon. It wasn?t that he wanted to get b

18. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Nice post.

Good. Mara had a prefectly goo explanation for what she was doing there. Of course, I still don't see this going away any time soon. At least we know Han's on her side if nothing else.

?Young Master Anakin has reprogrammed the SSP droid! It won?t stop making sweets!?

?No kidding?? Han wasn?t surprised.

?Oh yes. I?ve explained to it twenty-three times how much irreparable damage a diet of such foods could do to a child?s metabolism but it just won?t listen.?

Han turned to his wife. ?You hungry sweetheart??

Leia smiled. ?Famished.?

?Alright then.? Han and Leia brushed past a fussing Threepio and joined their children. They paid for it later that night but it was worth it.

[face_laugh] That was great.

19. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Why couldn?t he, Leia, and the kids, all find some nice place away from all the people who either wanted something from them or wanted to kill them? Hadn?t they earned that right?
    Yes, you have. But you would get bored out of your mind.

?Promises to whom? Why won?t she talk to NRI? Why won?t she go to Luke?s Academy? Why does she continue to protect Palpatine after all these years??
    Maybe because she wants to move on and have her own life, not run by anyone else?

you?re right, about all of it. You don?t owe us anything, least of all explanations.
    Thank you, Han.

?Young Master Anakin has reprogrammed the SSP droid! It won?t stop making sweets!?
    I love child Anakin. He's adorable.

Jes

20. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    Ooh, I really love this post.

21. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    <i>?Young Master Anakin has reprogrammed the SSP droid! It won?t stop making sweets!? </i> I love Anakin. He makes me smile.

I'm sure that Mara will find some proof that she's innocent, but I think that will require her to give up more information about herself than she wants to.

22. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    Great post! :D

Poor Mara! All these people gaining up on her just because of her past! :( But I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

23. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    GREAT chapter!!

?No? Han wouldn?t believe it, couldn?t believe it, not after all the times he called on Mara for aid and she never let him down. ?Mara has been our ally for years now and that means something. She?s manic about trust and promises.?

I suddenly adore this Han Solo. :D

You know, I wasn?t the helpless little puppet you want to wish I was.

*stands up and cheers* You go, girl! ;)

Seriously, it's about time they got an earful.... :cool:

24. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Jedi BMX - Good. Mara had a prefectly goo explanation for what she was doing there. - A perfectly good explanation yes, but is it the truth?

Of course, I still don't see this going away any time soon. - Of course not. That wouldn't be nearly as fun to read! or write for that matter...

Jesina Dreis - Yes, you have. But you would get bored out of your mind. - You know, I am so tempted to find a place were I can get Leia to say that....it's so TRUE!

Maybe because she wants to move on and have her own life, not run by anyone else? - Partially, yes. But I have also thought of a few other motives you might find interesting.

I love child Anakin. He's adorable. - Isn't he so? I still think he was the wrong Solo to die in NJO.

TheCrazyRodian - Ooh, I really love this post. - Thanks! :D

StarFighter5 - I'm sure that Mara will find some proof that she's innocent, but I think that will require her to give up more information about herself than she wants to. - To the reader, yes. To the characters, well, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Lady Jade - Poor Mara! All these people gaining up on her just because of her past! - That's kinda why I came up with this story. I mean, you have to know something like this happened at some point. But don't worry. She has a friend in me. I'm just gonna run her through the ringer first. :D

Jedi Trace - I suddenly adore this Han Solo. - I have always adored Han Solo. I'll turn to my fiance and say "Why can't you look (or be) like Han Solo??" and he'll turn to me and say "Why can't you look (or be) Mara Jade??". Great times....

Seriously, it's about time they got an earful.... - Oh, just wait. It ain't over yet.

25. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Finally got caught up here, and I'm loving the story. You have Mara's jaded personality downpat. Good job. I think part of the reason that Luke and Mara finally clicked was that he always believed her, and believed in her, even when people like Han and Leia had shadows of a doubt. Looking forward to when he joins the story. And yes, I remember you said this wasn't a romance. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.