main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Emperor's Shadow" - Mara, Luke, H/L - Complete - AUTHOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT 8/7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Jedi 2B - You have Mara's jaded personality downpat. - Thanks! :D

I think part of the reason that Luke and Mara finally clicked was that he always believed her, and believed in her, even when people like Han and Leia had shadows of a doubt. - Funny you should mention that....which is something I've been saying a lot lately. You guys really are thinking along the same level here and I think that's great. We all love Mara!!

Looking forward to when he joins the story. And yes, I remember you said this wasn't a romance. - Oh yes, he will be joining us in the next chapter. And just because it's not a "romance" doesn't mean there can't be any "aawww" moments. :D

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Partially, yes. But I have also thought of a few other motives you might find interesting.
    Yeah, I had a feeling you might.

As for Anakin being the wrong Solo to die, I agree. Jacen annoys me.

*runs and hides from Jacen fans*

Wait, are there any Jacen fans? Anywhere?

Jes

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Darth Real Life has had me in a chokehold for the last week or so and I haven't had much time for replying, but I wanted to delurk and say how much I'm enjoying this story. :D The characterization of Mara in particular is extremely good. I'm definitely hooked, and hopefully I'll have time to leave more thorough feedback for the next update. :D

4. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    I just want to say THANKS to all you faithful readers out there. The final part to chapter three is going up today. I'll let you stew over it this weekend and be back sometime next week with the first part of chapter four.

I'd also like to point your attention to my other fic I just started called Haven City. It's about those who survived on Coruscant during the Vong invasion. I thought of the idea awhile back, then McEwok ticked me of so I went ahead and wrote it to get back at him. Since I posted the first part of chapter one I've calmed down and had time to think about it. Thanks to something Lady Padme pointed out to me I reworked some ideas and am now very positive about it. If you like my psychology and characterizations in this fic, then you should enjoy what I've decided to do with Haven City. Well, that's enough shameless plugging for today.

Jesina Dreis - As for Anakin being the wrong Solo to die, I agree. Jacen annoys me.

*runs and hides from Jacen fans*

Wait, are there any Jacen fans? Anywhere?

Nope, don't see a one. :D

Gabri Jade - Darth Real Life has had me in a chokehold for the last week or so and I haven't had much time - I have a feeling I'm missing something there...

but I wanted to delurk and say how much I'm enjoying this story. - I KNEW there was someone hiding in the pantry. And they all said I was crazy...

I'm glad you're enjoying it! And don't worry about leaving a lot of feedback. I don't have a big ego. Oh wait, yeah I do. MORE FEEDBACK! :D

5. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 3 - Part 3

At about the same time Leia was giving medicine to Anakin, who was holding his tummy promising never to reprogram the food droids ever again, Mara Jade sat at her desk in her cabin. Mara always knew that this day would come. Everything was taken care of.

She guessed that Han would be the first to understand.

Closing her eyes, Mara finally let the memories flood into her. Latorin? Of all places why did it have to be Latorin?

Darius had been from Latorin.

He betrayed her.

No.

She betrayed him.

Mara shook her head violently and stood up, knocking her chair to the deck with a clang that reverberated down the empty corridors. Now wasn?t the time to rehash this. What?s done is done. She needed to focus. She had work to do and she needed to get her sleep for tomorrow.

There would probably be dreams tonight, but she could handle it. She always did.

Gathering up all her datacards Mara went over to the wall-safe that comes standard with most models of luxury yachts. Mara had done a little tweaking of the lock mechanism and now someone would have to be extremely adamant about getting to her secrets considering all the defenses she put up.

As Mara laid the datacards in the safe her hand brushed against something cold and metal, Anakin Skywalker?s lightsaber. Mara held it in her hand and more memories came flooding back.

Obi-wan Kenobi had given the lightsaber to Anakin?s son, Luke, when he started teaching the young farmboy about the Force and the Jedi. Luke lost it, and his hand, at Cloud City when he painfully learned a lesson, as well as a horrible truth. Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker. Vader retrieved his old lightsaber, and Luke?s hand, and gave them to the Emperor who stored them on Wayland.

Palpatine was not pleased with Vader?s proposal to Luke that they join together, overthrow the Emperor, and rule in his place. That is why Palpatine had sent Mara to kill Luke before Vader could find him again. Mara knew Luke would go after Solo. Luke?s friendship with Han was his weakness.

?Opening yourself that way makes you vulnerable, and to be vulnerable means that you can fail, and to fail means you are that much closer to your own death.? Mara uttered to herself. The Emperor had told her those words long ago, but that didn?t make them any less true now.

Mara established herself in Jabba?s palace before Luke and Leia arrived. She would have had Luke. But, because of a little misunderstanding, she was busy fighting off Gamorreans while Luke was fighting the Rancor. Jabba then wouldn?t let her on the sail barge.

It was rather a huge mess for her. For the first time since training she actually failed a mission. Mara had promised herself and the Emperor that she would not do so a second time. By then Palpatine had his vision of Luke coming to Vader and that is how Mara escaped her master?s wrath.

Then Vader killed the Emperor. Mara was alone, without an identity.

She wouldn?t pity herself. Not then, not now.

Palpatine was her master, but on some level she was actually glad when he died. Finally her mind was quiet without the chatter of the Emperor?s voice. She was free from having every emotion and opinion exposed to him. Free from knowing that one slight misstep could lead to her death.

Mara knew the Emperor never cared for her. She was simply a tool to him.

And then came Luke Skywalker.

Why did he have to care so much about what happened to her? It made everything too complicated when all she wanted to do was kill him.

Luke had seen how afraid Mara was of becoming another servant to a dark master. This was when the mad Jedi clone Joruus C?baoth had returned to Wayland and they knew they would have to face him. Luke told Mara that C?baoth couldn?t make her be his apprentice, that she was the master of her own destiny. Luke promised she wouldn?t have to face C?baoth alone. He wouldn?t leave her.

Luke ended up fighting a mindless clone of himself made from his lost hand that day. The clone was wielding his father?

6. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    I really love the way you describe Mara's thinking. You have her dead on.

Closing her eyes, Mara finally let the memories flood into her. Latorin? Of all places why did it have to be Latorin?

Darius had been from Latorin.

He betrayed her.

No.

She betrayed him.

Ok. Now I'm worried. What did she do there that she doesn't want people to know?

?She did WHAT??

You had to leave it at that didn't you. Fine. Be that way. I'll just be over there waiting (not so) patiently for the next post.

7. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Told you Mara was there for a different reason.

Go Han!

Go Anakin!!! yeah with the sweets!!!

8. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    You just had to leave it like that, didn't you?

Update soon.

9. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Aaghh!! A cliffhanger! I hope whatever she did wasn't as stupid as the things she was just mentally accusing Luke of doing. And I'm anxious to find out who this 'Darius' person was.

Any chance you could note in your title bar when you update? (You have to go to your very first post for this story, and Edit the title).

10. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, I've developed my own penchant for cliffhangers, so I shan't yell at your for it.
    Maybe I will.
    You left us there?!??! grrrr

I love the insight into Mara's thoughts about Luke and about the Emperor. Your description was right on. Her cynicism, concern, frustration, little bit of anger...all came through perfectly.

Jes

11. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Jedi BMX - I really love the way you describe Mara's thinking. You have her dead on. - Thanks! I'm going to be messing around with her later on so please let me know if I run off the track.

Ok. Now I'm worried. What did she do there that she doesn't want people to know? - I could tell you now, but that would ruin things... :D Don't worry though, nothing bad. Mostly. Sorta.

You had to leave it at that didn't you. Fine. Be that way. I'll just be over there waiting (not so) patiently for the next post. - What can I say...I have an evil streak. [face_devil]

maramijade - Told you Mara was there for a different reason. - You never doubted her for a moment. Go you! =D=

StarFighter5 - You just had to leave it like that, didn't you? - Yeah... gotta keep you coming back! :D

Jedi-2B - I hope whatever she did wasn't as stupid as the things she was just mentally accusing Luke of doing. - Depends on how you want to look at it... [face_thinking]

And I'm anxious to find out who this 'Darius' person was. - That's the idea... And let's just put it this way: Darius is my answer to what I consider a great injustice done to Mara. I'll just leave it at that.

Any chance you could note in your title bar when you update? (You have to go to your very first post for this story, and Edit the title). - Thanks. :) I was actually wondering how people did that. I was just too embarroused to ask. [face_blush]

Jesina Dreis - Well, I've developed my own penchant for cliffhangers, so I shan't yell at your for it.
    Maybe I will.
    You left us there?!??! grrrr

But I did it because I love you all so very much! [face_batting]

I love the insight into Mara's thoughts about Luke and about the Emperor. Your description was right on. Her cynicism, concern, frustration, little bit of anger...all came through perfectly. - Thanks! :D You should see what happens when she and Luke finally meet eye to eye again...oops, was that another cliffhanger? Yes, I think it was. [face_devil]

12. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    You are evil evil evil. No wonder I like you.

Jes

13. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Red: Darius, hmm... [face_thinking]

:D

- The Imperial Ewok

14. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    gaaaahhhhh, what did Mara do NOW???? I'm not liking this . . .

;) no correction, I'm loving this story. . .

15. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    AHH! How DARE you?! More!

16. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Jesina Dries - You are evil evil evil. - Of course I am! Duh! [face_mischief]

Thrawn McEwok - Darius, hmm... - You only know the half of it... [face_mischief] :eek: [face_shhh]

maramijade - gaaaahhhhh, what did Mara do NOW???? - It's not really what she did...it's more like "WHY DID SHE DO IT???" ;)

Mirax-Jade - AHH! How DARE you?! More! - People keep yelling at me...I'm going to go cry in a corner now...I might not come out to post for DAYS!! :_| [face_devil]

17. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    Ah, poor Mara!! :_|

But now what has she done???????? I hope it isn't anything crazy.

18. Mirax-Jade

Mar 7, 2003
    NO! I apologise!

::drags RedGold out of corner::

Edit: Damn OPPM

19. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Lady Jade - But now what has she done???????? I hope it isn't anything crazy. - All depends on a certain point of view... [face_thinking]

Mirax-Jade - NO! I apologise!

::drags RedGold out of corner::

Edit: Damn OPPM
    - I'll post if you tell me OPPM stands for...

20. Mirax-Jade

Mar 7, 2003
    OPPM means One Post Per Minute. It's the bane of my exsistence.

21. Benjor45

Benjor45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2003
    A little late, but here goes:

Han grinned. The Imperials seemed to have a fetish for wrecking Lando?s businesses.
    You... stole one of the lines for my Lando fanfic!!! No, really, I had something very similar said by Luke in one of the scenes. What did you do? Long distance mind-probe? Are you Mara come to earth? *Puts tin foil around head* [face_hypnotized] :p

She never struck people down in anger or cold blood.
    The last time she could have done it was probably in Jomark(I'm not sure though). Althought it would have been better for all involved, Luke couldn't let Mara kill one uncounciouss, defenceless C'baoth in cold blood. He also didn't know that C'baoth was a defective clone at the time.

?Unless,? Han?s voice went dry. What he was thinking didn?t sit well with Han. Not after what he had witnessed between Mara and Anakin the other day, but he had to say it. ?Unless she?s lying to us now to cover up something much bigger then a simple assassination. Something to do with the Emperor??

?Promises to whom? Why won?t she talk to NRI? Why won?t she go to Luke?s Academy? Why does she continue to protect Palpatine after all these years??

?Palpatine blew up planets.? Leia tried to sound as dark and cold as Mara, but her attempt sounded weak in comparison.

Ugh. That was painful. I thought much the same as Han and Leia. Why couldn't she have helped Luke? :_| I know. Mara had no obligation to help Luke in the academy. But it's still sad. :_|
    I still don't understand how Leia could have gone from TLC to the way she's acting here. The NRI can suspect Mara all they want, but how could Leia and Han think like that? Didn't Mara destroy the Death Star prototype? Didn't she rescue Luke and Callista from the eye of Palpatine? AAAAAGH!

You know, I wasn?t the helpless little puppet you want to wish I was. I did have thoughts of my own.

Denial is a powerfull thing. She was very strong in resisting the last command, I used this defence for Mara many times in Lit. But she was a tool, a puppet, manipulated by Palpatine, and the fact that she had freedom of thought only makes it worse.
    ***And in the space of a few heartbeats everything Mara had believed about herself--her hatred, her mission, her entire life--had turned from certainty to confusion.***(TLC)

She was also very good at denial.

***"What do you mean, the rest of the Hands?" Mara asked. "I was the only..." Mara stopped herself. Thrawn's eyes...suddenly came the anger. "No! No, you're wrong!"(DFR)

Your characterization of Mara is very strong. But is Mara all of this invulnerabitily? In TTT she had many flaws. She was petty, she acted like a spoiled brat when complaining to Luke or Leia how her life was stolen from her, she was duped by Thrawn, she was in denial about her self-perceived importance, she bordered on childish sometimes. Obviously she'd have put much of them behind her at this time, but still... Mara isn't all of this block of steel, she never was, IMO.

Who's Darius? She betrayed him? Uh-oh.

Luke had seen how afraid Mara was of becoming another servant to a dark master. This was when the mad Jedi clone Joruus C?baoth had returned to Wayland and they knew they would have to face him. Luke told Mara that C?baoth couldn?t make her be his apprentice, that she was the master of her own destiny. Luke promised she wouldn?t have to face C?baoth alone. He wouldn?t leave her.

It was much more than that. He was willing to oppose his family to help her if needed, broke her out of prison defying the whole NR, discussed with Han again to take her to Mt. Tantiss, trained her in the force so she could make her own destiny,

She looked away from him. YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER. "You'll be there," she reminded him. "What do I need to be strong in the Force for?"
    "For whatever purpose your destiny calls you to," he said, his voice quiet but firm. "We have an hour or so left before sundown. Let's get started."

He protected her against C'baoth's force lightning, healed her a little afterwa

22. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Mirax-Jade - Oh, okay. Cool. We'll, I'll post the next section a little later tonight. Promise.

Benjor45 - You... stole one of the lines for my Lando fanfic!!! No, really, I had something very similar said by Luke in one of the scenes. What did you do? Long distance mind-probe? Are you Mara come to earth? *Puts tin foil around head* - Well, I seemed to be channeling all sorts of people for my Haven City fic, so who knows.

Ugh. That was painful. I thought much the same as Han and Leia. Why couldn't she have helped Luke? I know. Mara had no obligation to help Luke in the academy. But it's still sad. - Hey, don't blame me, blame all the crappy writers that missed such a wonderful opportunity with her. I'm just trying to get things to work here. Don't worry, I try to explain things. Try to at least. [-o|

I still don't understand how Leia could have gone from TLC to the way she's acting here. The NRI can suspect Mara all they want, but how could Leia and Han think like that? Didn't Mara destroy the Death Star prototype? Didn't she rescue Luke and Callista from the eye of Palpatine? AAAAAGH! - Once again, DON'T BLAME ME! Look what I have to work with here...But I totally agree with you. I think you'll find yourself cheering at Han here in a few. As for Leia, don't worry, she gets what's coming to her.

But she was a tool, a puppet, manipulated by Palpatine, and the fact that she had freedom of thought only makes it worse. - Just wait for Chapter Five...

Mara isn't all of this block of steel, she never was, IMO. - Yeah...chapter five, and several later. I'm going for some dynamic character shifting in this one. I noticed all the same things you are pointing out here, and I'll be getting to them. I just can't do it all at once. Well, I could, but then what would be the fun in that? :D

Who's Darius? She betrayed him? Uh-oh. - Yeah. Pretty much.

It was much more than that. He was willing to oppose his family to help her if needed, broke her out of prison defying the whole NR, discussed with Han again to take her to Mt. Tantiss, trained her in the force so she could make her own destiny, - You and I know that, but does Mara really know it? We shall see... [face_mischief]

Mara thinks of it as Luke's lightsaber first, both at the end of TLC and SOTP. I have a thing against everything being about Vaderkin these days. - Really? Okay, so I fubbed up here. Give me a break. It's my first fic! :p

I still think Mara would have helped Luke, if she'd been written by Zahn. Then again, Zahn wouldn't have written Luke declaring himself a Jedi Master, teaching 12+ students at the same time, ignoring a Sith Lord and a student who burned to death, etc, etc... - Everything would have been better if Zahn wrote it... :oops:

23. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Chapter 4 - Part 1

?No. Chewie will be here in a few hours. He?s going to watch you.? Han was being faced down by his three children.

?Sure, he can watch us while we?re on the Falcon.? Jacen said matter-of-fact.

?I ought to ground you for taking to me like that!? Han should have, but there was something in his children?s eyes that stopped him. Skywalker determination mixed with Solo stubbornness? Maybe the other way around?

?We want to go.? Jaina matched her brother?s tone.

Han really didn?t want to leave them, but last time all of them went someplace together they had almost died. ?Why? This isn?t going to be a fun trip. There won?t be anything to do or see.?

?But we?ll be there. That?s what matters.? Anakin said with more resolve then a kid his age should have.

?Captain Solo.? Threepio came shuffling into the room.

?What?? Han was actually pleased to have this distraction from the issue at large.

?Master Luke has just sent a transmission and is wishing to speak with you.?

So much for the distraction.

?Okay, be right there.? Han turned back to his children. ?We?ll discuss this with your mother. If she agrees, then you can go.?

The kids nodded acceptance to this deal and headed off back to their studies. Han took a deep breath and went to the holotransmitter. Tapping in commands, the figure of his brother-in-law?s head took shape.

?Hey, Luke. You still on Bakura?? Han remembered seeing the look on Luke?s face when he told him that he was going to Bakura to tell Gaerial Captison?s four-year-old daughter, Malinza, that her mother was dead. Gaerial had died a noble death against the Triad, but that would do little solace for a girl who a few years earlier lost her father to a disease and was now parentless.

When Luke went to Bakura and asked for Gaerial?s help he promised Malinza that he would bring her mother back safe. Since he couldn?t make good on that promise to Malinza, Luke would make sure that at least she would be well taken care of.

?No. I had some things to deal with at the Academy. I?m on my way back to Bakura and I was wondering if I needed to swing by Coruscant.? Luke?s tone was a little interrogative.

?Did you pick up on something through the Force??

?Just a feeling.?

Han took a deep breath. ?It?s Mara Jade.?

Concern started to worm itself onto Luke?s face. ?What about Jade??

?It all started a few days ago.? Han shook his head. This was all turning into a really big mess. ?The Prime Minister of Latorin accused Mara of murdering his father.?

?Murder? Mara? That doesn?t sound right.?

?That?s the general consensus.? Han nodded. ?Thing is, the murder took place back when Mara was still working for Palpatine. They think it was an assassination ordered by the Emperor and they fingered Mara as the assassin.?

?I see.? Luke said without a touch of emotion in his voice. ?What did she say about this??

?Said she didn?t do it.? Han saw some relief soften the kid?s expression. ?But she was on Latorin at the time. There is proof of that much at least. She said she was there on another mission, but there is no proof of that either.?

Luke shrugged the implications off. ?If she said she didn?t do it then she didn?t do it. How did this man???

?Darlen Baletan.?

?How was Baletan assassinated??

?Poisoned.? Han thought back to the details Leia had given him. ?It was supposed to look like an accidental overdose. Whoever did it almost got away with it. There was some mix-up with left-hand/right-hand that got people suspicious.?

?Well, there is your proof. Mara would never have been that clumsy.? Luke was a little too casual in his assessment of Mara?s capability as an assassin.

?I doubt that will stand up in court.? Han said as he stared at his brother-in-law. He didn?t need the force to see that Luke hadn?t doubted Mara?s innocence for even a second. ?There is also one other thing. Something Mara did yesterday.?

?What did she do?? The concern was back again.

?She went to Devin Baletan, Darlen?s son,

24. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Skywalker determination mixed with Solo stubbornness? Maybe the other way around?
    More like a little of both.

If she said she didn?t do it then she didn?t do it.
    Good boy, Luke.

Luke was a little too casual in his assessment of Mara?s capability as an assassin.
    Well, he was with her when she wanted to kill him. And he's seen her in action...I'd say he's pretty well versed in her capabilities.

?She surrendered.?
    I figured. But I thought she'd actually confessed. Glad she didn't, though.

?I think she views it as her problem to deal with and hers alone. She won?t let anyone get dragged down with her.?
    Yeah, that sounds like Mara.

Mara?s never abandoned us, we won?t abandon her.?
    You better not!

Nice job! I think this is quite in keeping with Mara's character.

Jes

25. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Another excellent post.

I like the way you're going with this. Everyone's action seem perfectly in character. You have a great skill.

I like that they're all going to support Mara as well. Something tells me she's going to need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.