Beyond - Legends "Emperor's Shadow" - Mara, Luke, H/L - Complete - AUTHOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT 8/7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Killik_Twilight Jedi Master

star 4
    *steals third reply*

The End? NOOO!!!!

*ahem*

Mara, all by herself, torn apart?

?and she finds peace.

Great job!

KT
  2. MirandaFair Jedi Master

star 4
    RedGold, a brilliant conclusion! Congratulations on writing a wonderful story that really gets the reader into Mara Jade's head.

Above an insignificant planet that played a significant role in a galactic rebellion, a speck of a ship emerged from hyperspace. In the cockpit a woman frowned. She didn?t know why she had come there, chose that planet to orbit.

Beautiful description. ^ Gave me chills!

With a slight nod of his head, the emperor?s shadow faded away, and with it went the cold and heaviness that had fallen upon her.

The title has followed Mara throughout this story, her life. I just loved how at the end it tied it all together finally. Masterfully done, if I may say so. ;)

She retrieved the lightsaber and clipped it on her belt, then set a course away from Endor, where ever the Force took her.

That's definitely a change. Sets up a lot of how we'll see Mara in the future. Finally accepting who she really is.

A very entertaining piece of work. While the cliffies were painful, they did do their job. =D= Can only try to be patient in waiting for the sequel. Brava!
  3. academygrad88 Jedi Master

star 5
    Wonderful ending, RedGold.

She used those skills to carve a new life out for herself. It made her tough and resilient, able to combat anything thrown at her.

Whatever she was, it was because of the Emperor. Perhaps he wasn?t completely to blame, but he had destroyed what she might have been so that she could become what she is. Perhaps it was better than what could have happened, perhaps it was worse. Perhaps didn?t mean anything.

She was what she was, she could never deny that, only accept it.

I like this thinking. Could it have been the Will of the Force that she was captured and trained by Palpatine? Did her deadly skills make the difference to the NR? Make it a better place? We already know her skills helped her save Luke's life, Kill the crazy clone C'baoth, save the Solo twins, help Leia during the Corellian insurrection, help destroy the Death Star Prototype, saved Luke another time from Pirates, help fight against the Vong and now she fights against the Dark Nest threat. If she never was trained by the most ruthless and skilled Sith in the Galaxy would she have done these things? Or would she have been as effective.

That is the question. If it was the Will of the Force that Anakin kill almost all the Jedi in order to bring balance to the Force, then wouldn't the Force be just as cruel to Mara? Leave her to languish under the rule of a harsh Master so she could learn what she needed to to make the Galaxy better? To me it seems like The Will of the Force is more interested in the end result than the means.

But that is just me rambling. Good job!!

AG88
  4. CommanderK23 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Above an insignificant planet that played a significant role in a galactic rebellion, a speck of a ship emerged from hyperspace. In the cockpit a woman frowned. She didn?t know why she had come there, chose that planet to orbit.

She only knew she had to get away, from everything.

?Just put us in a standard orbit,? she answered her droid?s whistle. ?I won?t be landing.?

o_O

Slips twitted and went about its work. Mara stared out at the planetary horizon, still curious as to why she had come to Endor of all places. Twice her life had changed above the forest moon. First when her master died, then when events were set in motion with Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Both had lead her to what she was today.

But what was she?

[face_thinking] Interesting question... one I think many people ask themselves...

She picked up the datapad that had found its way through all her defenses and into her safe. Who had put it there, she didn?t know, and wasn?t too eager to find out. If the NRI ever discovered she had it, she was done for.

The information on the datacard was damaging. Mission details about the men she had killed, spied on, set up. Not so much damaging for her, but for those left behind and effected by the events. The Republic still swayed in a delicate balance and she would not be the one to bring them down with something from the past when they should all be looking to the future.

o_O So that's what's on that blasted datacard.

Personally, Mara was more interested in the past at the moment. There wasn?t anything on the card she didn?t already know. She tried not to get her hopes up that maybe there was mention of anything from her past, a name, a planet, anything. Palpatine probably never bothered with any of that.

Perhaps she was never meant to know what she had been? only what she had become. What Palpatine turned her in to.

Turning the datacard over in her hand, that is what she was. The very essence of her being was on that card, recorded, sorted, and catalogued. All that made her the Emperor?s Hand.

With a heavy sigh she flung it down onto the console. Just touching it sent burning shivers through her body. That wasn?t her anymore. She didn?t follow blindly, murder for the sake of one man?s whim.

She was Mara Jade now, her own woman, no more voices, no more being controlled.

So why didn?t she feel any better?

o_O

A sharp thud resounded off the floor and she watched as her lightsaber rolled across the deck after being knocked off the console when she slung the datacard. She couldn?t remember why she had brought it with her when she went to the cockpit to revert to real-space.

It came to a stop in the middle of the cockpit, sitting alone in the wide span of flooring.

It was more than just a lightsaber, she had always known that.

It was a symbol of the past, something she would rather forget.

It was a symbol of her friendship with Luke, fragile at best.

It was a symbol of her future, as non-existent as it was.

It was a symbol of the Jedi, something she wasn?t.

It was a lethal weapon for those who spout peace, a contradiction that made her smile. Perhaps the lightsaber was a truer representative symbol of herself than she realized.

Perhaps it is...

Palpatine?s legacy ran deep?

?just like all her scars.

Shaking her head and fighting the heavy emptiness that threaten to overcome her she pushed off the chair and walked over to the fallen weapon. As she bent down to grab it, a cold breeze shivered down her spine and left her immobile.

Her eyes, however, were able to look up, knowing what they would find.

?You?re dead old man,? Mara bit out at the emperor?s shadow.

What's he doing here? Granted it is Endor, but...

?Not to you,? the same eerie voice she had come to despise echoed through
  5. Jedi-2B Jedi Master

star 4
    Wonderful ending. I loved the symbolism of the lightsaber.

Looking forward to the sequel!
  6. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Masterful ending my dear Red. Good to see Mara rid herself of that nasty man ;)

And congratulations on completing your first epic. Hope we get to see a restart on Haven City soon :D
  7. flowerbee Jedi Knight

star 5
    Wow. :eek: Evil. Very intense.

I'd like a PM when the sequel goes up, if that's not too ,uch trouble. :)
  8. JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    What a wonderful ending RedGold! =D= =D= =D=

I certainly wasn't expecting the "Emperor's Shadow" to turn up there, but it fit so well in wrapping up Mara's journey.

I really lovd this fic, thank you for sharing it with us. Can't wait for the sequel!
  9. Jaded_Girl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    PM: The Final Post

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! :_|

But strangely... yay too- for the conclusion! [face_dancing]

ME! I DID IT!! MMMUUUWWWAAHAHAHAHAAH
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

... that's why Leia and Mara give each other that look at the end of the scene where they discover what's on it...

Uber coolness!!! Oh, I love it how you tie stuff together! [:D]

We need to get them one... don't we...

Yeah, but in all honesty we wouldn't be in an "Incurable L/M Shippie Anonymous" group 'cause we wouldn't want to quit... oh! You mean the soundtracks! Oh definitely! If I had any skill in composing, I'd do it myself. Something that sounds perfect and lovely and haunting and complementary when played with Luke's Theme/May The Force Be With You... [face_mischief] :p

You're as bad as Mara!!

How can I be taught to not be bad when the temptation is so darn good... O:) [face_devil] [face_whistling]

You got it!

Yay! (THAT's a first... [face_blush] )

And I want to me PM notified when the sequel/prequels are out, do you hear me?! :mad: Even the one you said might have her relationship with Darius... ;) :p

It was a lethal weapon for those who spout peace, a contradiction that made her smile. Perhaps the lightsaber was a truer representative symbol of herself than she realized.

Beautiful. Wonderful. Excellently done. @};-

As she bent down to grab it, a cold breeze shivered down her spine and left her immobile.
    Her eyes, however, were able to look up, knowing what they would find.
    ?You?re dead old man,? Mara bit out at the emperor?s shadow.

:eek: :_| What's Palpy gonna do to her now?! :(

She put those skills too good use against those who threaten the Republic and her friends, among which was Luke Skywalker.
    She used those skills to carve a new life out for herself. It made her tough and resilient, able to combat anything thrown at her.
    Whatever she was, it was because of the Emperor....
    She was what she was, she could never deny that, only accept it.

You are just batting 1000, RedGold. Mara's past is a vital and even necessary part of her. As much a part of her identity as Luke. I love how she's coming to terms with this. (Now if only the anti-Mara people... ;) )

Glancing back up at her former master, all she could do was shrug and say, ?Thank you.?
    With a slight nod of his head, the emperor?s shadow faded away, and with it went the cold and heaviness that had fallen upon her.

An unexpected way to resolve this. Unexpected and odd, but very appropriate, in-character, well done and satisfying. I like this resolution very much.

*sigh* What shall I say? This story was from start to finish thoughtful, angsty, subtle, well-crafted, canon-compatible, superbly (even peerlessly) characterized, multi-layered, heart-wrenching, tender, tight, suspenseful, witty, hilarious, warm, biting, insightful, action-packed, fun and a thousand more adjectives all perfectly blended into one exquisitely entertaining and satisfying fic that I shall be glad to visit again and again. I can only thank you most profusely for sharing it with us. You have made my SW fanfic message board visiting a pleasure.

KUDOS! =D= [:D] [face_love] =D= [:D] [face_love] =D= [:D] [face_love] =D= [:D] [face_love] =D=

@};- @};- @};- @};- @};- @};- @};- @};- @};-

*sleepily shuffles off to bed, grinning contentedly with reminisces of Han getting beaten with a fish, Luke holding
  10. MaraJade4S Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Wonderful ending, RedGold. I like your style. It's wonderful. I wish someday I could be half as good as you.

It was an unexpected surprise to see the Emperor's Shadow. I should have expected it, considering the title.

I just knew you were not going to tell us what's on the datacard. It didn't fit in with the Cannon world. But maybe in one of the other sequels. [face_plain]

11. Courtney_Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    oOoh! Now I wanna read the sequel! When you have it up, send me a link PLEASE! [face_praying]

What a way to end a great fic.... WhY! Why do we hafta wait for the sequel! *taps fingers on desk waiting for next fic*
  12. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    =D= =D= =D=

Brava, Red!! Wonderful conclusion to a great story!

I loved the end - gave me chills. Excellent take on Mara, there. :D

Fantastic job!

*throws flowers*

@};- @};- @};- @};- @};-
  13. Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Wow. That was a great ending.
  14. jade51999 Jedi Knight

star 5
    That was excellent Red.

A sharp thud resounded off the floor and she watched as her lightsaber rolled across the deck after being knocked off the console when she slung the datacard. She couldn?t remember why she had brought it with her when she went to the cockpit to revert to real-space.

It came to a stop in the middle of the cockpit, sitting alone in the wide span of flooring.

Nicely written. I appreciated so much in that post--the musings and the references to Luke (sigh) and of course that surprise at the end--thanking the "emperor's shadow." Accept what you can't change and move on.

Brilliant. Looking forward to the other parts--and i'm off to link that new story of yours.

Ohh..And can I tell you that I love your Mara? She's probably the person I love to write the most, and well when she's done well she's done well.

Excellent job.

You made me smile, and gasp with shock...and smile some more and I appreciate it!

:)
  15. Tahi Jedi Knight

star 5
    Marvellous story, Red. I love the way you write the characters and also the interactions and dialogue are spot on.

She tried not to get her hopes up that maybe there was mention of anything from her past, a name, a planet, anything. Palpatine probably never bothered with any of that.

Perhaps she was never meant to know what she had been? only what she had become. What Palpatine turned her in to.

Turning the datacard over in her hand, that is what she was. The very essence of her being was on that card, recorded, sorted, and catalogued. All that made her the Emperor?s Hand.

I loved this bit. Interesting comment on the concept of roots and what they mean to people. We tend to think knowing our history is crucial, but sometimes maybe it isn't. In a way the card allows her to bunch all the past together and move on - it's a kind of control that not many can have. And let's face it, sometimes the past can muck us up.

I also liked the discussion about the symbolism of the lightsaber.

Yes - I DO like your take on Mara very much. :) Congrats on a brilliant story.

16. tasujad Jedi Knight

star 1
    so...

finished the reading ... luckily i found thata story quite late because would have hated [face_skull] and loved [face_love] you for the cliffies :)

Above an insignificant planet that played a significant role in a galactic rebellion, a speck of a ship emerged from hyperspace.

one of the best description for the Endor what i have read just loved it =D==D=

To conquer the fear you must face it :)

liked the philosophical ending. sometimes it's better than mindless action

MAY THE writingFORCE BE WITH YOU

17. maramijade Jedi Padawan

star 4
    :: nodds:: she is what she is because of what he made her . . .

interesting with the thanking, and therefore comming to terms with herself, who she is and her past.

in that way she is banishing him from her mind. . .
  18. StarFighter5 Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice ending RG. It helped to sum up the entire story and to end it on a bright(er) note.:D
  19. Ariapaige Jedi Youngling

star 2
    ah RedGold! I must say i'm flattered that you put me in your list of readers. i stopped coming to the site, so i only just caught up when i noticed your PM. thank you so much for that. i would have missed out on your wonderful story had you not sent me your message, and that, indeed, would have been sad. i definitely stayed up til 4.o'clock in the morning to finish it, because i couldn't bear to put it down. cliff-hangers are evil incarnate[face_frustrated] not that i didn't thorougly enjoy getting picked up in the next section after each one. :D

i really liked your characterizations, they were very much believable. i also liked the way you had the characters interact with each other. like Mara with the kids. and all the Leia/Mara scenes were fantastic. i'll admit, i was hoping for more Luke/Mara romance, but the story works well without it.

congratulations on the completion of an excellent story. and please let me know when you start new ones :D

always
    ;) paige
  20. RedGold Jedi Master

star 4
    I want to thank all my readers again! You all wonderful! [:D]

Jadie - The perfect ending, the right lines, a wonderful story!
    Aww, thanks! [:D]

When I grow up, I wanna be like you!
    Now there's a scary thought... [face_worried] :p

PonyTricks - Wonderful ending!
    Thanks! :)

Killik Twilight - Mara, all by herself, torn apart? ?and she finds peace.
    A small measure of it, but yes, she does... and it will help her for later when VOF happens!

MirandaFair - RedGold, a brilliant conclusion! Congratulations on writing a wonderful story that really gets the reader into Mara Jade's head.
    Thank you! :)

The title has followed Mara throughout this story, her life. I just loved how at the end it tied it all together finally. Masterfully done, if I may say so.
    This is the shadow that the title refers to... though I do reference before now... I'm just a bit evil that way... thanks for catching it!

While the cliffies were painful, they did do their job.
    Oh come on... they weren't that painful...

um, okay, maybe they where... [face_devil]

AG88 - That is the question. If it was the Will of the Force that Anakin kill almost all the Jedi in order to bring balance to the Force, then wouldn't the Force be just as cruel to Mara? Leave her to languish under the rule of a harsh Master so she could learn what she needed to to make the Galaxy better? To me it seems like The Will of the Force is more interested in the end result than the means.
    You got it! It's my view that it was the will of the force that Mara had to go through all of this to set her up for the future. Destiny you might say...
    Great job! :)

CommanderK23 - Wonderful conclusion, RedGold I loved you story, in my humble opinion you captured the characters' character perfectly the whole way through... and captured the spirit of Star Wars in the process. I'm serious. You are amongest my top five authors who have captured the spirit of action/adventure/romance/drama, the battle between good and evil that are in Star Wars.
    Loved it.

Aww... thanks! [face_blush] [:D]
    I hope the sequel is just as good!

Jedi-2B - Wonderful ending. I loved the symbolism of the lightsaber.
    Thanks! I was trying to establish why she's suddenly wearing it again in VOF

Spike - Masterful ending my dear Red. Good to see Mara rid herself of that nasty man
    Always a good thing... thanks! :)

And congratulations on completing your first epic. Hope we get to see a restart on Haven City soon
    I hope so too... but got issues in real life to deal with at the moment... *is tired*

flowerbee - Wow. Evil. Very intense.
    Couldn't ask for a better review! Thanks! :D

JadeLotus - I certainly wasn't expecting the "Emperor's Shadow" to turn up there, but it fit so well in wrapping up Mara's journey.
    I'm glad I kept you guessing till the end! Thanks! :)

Jaded Girl - Uber coolness!!! Oh, I love it how you tie stuff together!
    Thanks! That was the one goal I had and I'm happy I succeeded!

Yeah, but in all honesty we wouldn't be in an "Incurable L/M Shippie Anonymous" group 'cause we wouldn't want to quit... oh! You mean the soundtracks! Oh definitely! If I had any skill in composing, I'd do it myself. Something that sounds perfect and lovely and haunting and complementary when played with Luke's Theme/May The Force Be With You...
    I took four years of band... and I'm useless... oh well... let's go look for something and adopt it... *is looking*

Even the one you said might have her relationship with Darius...
    That would be Shadow Dawning... it's basically Mara's backstory... and Darius is in the middle of it. But first Union's Shadow will be written... um... eventually.

Mara's past is a vital and even necessary part of her. As much a part of her identity as Luke. I love how she's coming to terms with this. (Now if only the anti-Mara people... )
    See, WE get it... ;)

21. Rosh_Penin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    You know, I'm SURE I'd already replied to this ... [face_plain] I think some author somewhere is very confused as to why I posted in their thread calling them RedGold [face_worried]

But, as I think I said last time, an excellent end to the story. Mara can accept her history and move past it, conceding that it shaped her present but does not have to define her or her future.

Oh, and the culprit of the swipe? My money's on the astro-thief - sorry, I mean mech. :p
  22. Blondie_JediKnight Jedi Youngling

star 2
    It was a great ending! I really liked this story! But what was on the data card????!!!!!
    :p
  23. RedGold Jedi Master

star 4
    Rosh - You know, I'm SURE I'd already replied to this ... I think some author somewhere is very confused as to why I posted in their thread calling them RedGold
    Now that I would pay to see... hehehe

But, as I think I said last time, an excellent end to the story. Mara can accept her history and move past it, conceding that it shaped her present but does not have to define her or her future.
    I couldn't have said it better... :)

Oh, and the culprit of the swipe? My money's on the astro-thief - sorry, I mean mech.
    hehehehehe... could be... could be...

Blondie_JediKnight - It was a great ending! I really liked this story! But what was on the data card????!!!!!
    Thanks! as for the datacard...

I kinda snuck it in there... evil like... [face_devil]
  24. Maggy Jedi Master

star 4
    Chapter 17 ? Part 3

Her arrogance of their first meeting being tapered by his confidence. The inviting warmth of his laugh. The lingering passion of their first kiss. The look in his eyes when they first?

sweet :)

poor Mara ... she still suffers from Palpys influence :(

it seems as has someone else troubles to find rest [face_mischief] :p

Well, let?s think of something else, then.
    Lando?

[face_laugh]

Cause he has a cute butt?

[face_laugh]

Mara nearly choked on her caf.

[face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

Mara.
    Yeah?
    He still has a cute butt.
    Voice.
    Yeah?
    Shut up.
    Ah, you?re no fun.

[face_laugh]

that was very entertaining :D
    I like how you write Maras inner struggle with this inner voice of hers.
    It?s a bit freudian :p

Chapter 18 ? Part 1

?Well,? Leia sat back in her chair with a bemused look on her face, ?considering the fact that the NRI like to meddle in everything else, I felt that it was only fair.?

superb answer

?It?s out job to meddle, madam.?

did he just say that? *laughs*

?And when were you planning on telling me about this??
    ?What?? Leia borrowed a smirk from Mara, ?You didn?t already know??

*laughs* teehee ...

?It, um, kinda disappeared.?

*laughs* that?s Ghent for you *laughs*

I like how Han is once again the more reasonable one then Leia ... she is far too much absorbed by her job

Chapter 18 ? Part 2

He smiled thankfully and scratched his head, ?Well, Captain Solo said that you might not be gone as long as you were planning, so I didn?t make her a priority to move.?

*silly grin*

?Well,? Ghent let out a nervous laugh, ?when I called the Chief of State about it, I talked to Captain Solo.?

teehee

?Kid,? Han came around and patted Ghent on the back, ?you need to get out more.?
    ?Get out where??

*laughs*

?Oh Force,? she said as she read the title, ?The Emperor?s Hand?.

[face_mischief]

coolness :D

Chapter 18 ? Part 3

?See, not in there,? Ghent said as he showed them his safe, which took him ten minutes to open with all his security locks.

how so it?s on Maras ship :p :D

woohoo Leia finally goes into action against Cracken [face_dancing]

Luke looked up at him, a blank durasteel expression on his face, ?A Jedi does not steal.?

*laughs out loud*

?A Jedi also doesn?t break people out of confinement,? Han retorted, getting up to get himself another drink.

*lol*

wonderful interaction between Han and Luke

those two are so sweet :D

Epilogue

a very fitting end

Red you did a wonderful job with this ?fic
    I am happy that it ended somehow good for Mara on the other side I am sad because it?s over. But I have seen you started already new ones :D

~Mags~
  25. RedGold Jedi Master

star 4
    Mags - Thank you for your wonderful review! I'm sorry I didn't say so sooner, but I just now learned how to unlock a topic! :) Thanks again! [:D]

AUTHOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT

Back on September 23rd, 2005, I completed my first ever fan fiction, The Emperor's Shadow. It was one story of four that encompassed four major moments in Mara's life. This one was about her finally being able to accept who she is. The first story, Shadow Dawn, will about her life growing up under Palpatine. The final will be Shadow Dusk which takes place after Mara has become a mother and how much her life has changed.

Ah, but I said four, didn't I.

Union's Shadow is a romantic tale about Luke and Mara's wedding, taking place in canon along with the events of the Union comics. Of course there is healthy dose of action and comedy, just to make life interesting, plus some added story lines and plot twists that you didn't see coming.

On the first anniversary of Emperor's Shadow's completion, I will start Union's Shadow, so keep your eye out for it!

I have a PM list from those who previously requested to be notified, but if you would like a head's up as well, just let me know. But this September 23rd... expect everything you've come to expect from a RedGold fiction!

Thank you all!

RedGold

Oh, and Path fans, I haven't forgotten about you... next update soon!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.