main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Emperor's Shadow" - Mara, Luke, H/L - Complete - AUTHOR'S ANNOUNCEMENT 8/7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Hmmm... The real question still remains. Is the data on the card helpful of harmful.

Good post.

2. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Great post...but...iwannaknowwhatsonthedatacardahhh!

::huff puff::

3. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    For excerpts, I like the 'lessons-learned' section after the fight scene....had a very NJO - Dark Tide duo feeling to it.

I also liked the section of Chapter 3, part 2 when Mara enters the scene: "No, you wouldn't understand that. You couldn't."

And, Vader fangirl that I am, I loved the conversation about him.

4. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yay! Congrats on your nominations, RG. ;)

I haven't quite read enough yet to proffer advice on excerpts, but for the character category basically any section where Mara's thoughts and opinions come through would work well. :)

5. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Fallin data cards. The information will take even longer to decode. I think you should do the Anakin/Mara scene in one of your excerpts. Congrats on the nom.

6. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Jesina - That's how I feel about my room...except that it's not "when i moved in." It's "last week." - YIKES! :eek:

That's a bit of a political gamble - Yeah, that's the whole point. Leia is going out on a limb for Mara and she has no idea why!!! :eek: [face_mischief] o_O

That's a great ending!!! Sounds almost like the Force is trying to help him out. - Never thought of the Force being involved, but you know, makes sense. [face_mischief]

And thanks for the scene of Ghent's little crisis of conscience. - No problem! I wrote that especially for you!! :D :D

Lady Jade - Aww, poor Ghent. He really so clueless! - But he's so cute! [face_batting] [face_love]

Jedi BMX - Hmmm... The real question still remains. Is the data on the card helpful of harmful. - Or is it even important at all? hhhhmmm...see shall we... [face_worried]

Mirax-Jade - Great post...but...iwannaknowwhatsonthedatacardahhh!

::huff puff::
    - See, why does everyone have to yell at me??? I know I'm evil...but still... :D [face_devil]

Jedi Trace - For excerpts, I like the 'lessons-learned' section after the fight scene....had a very NJO - Dark Tide duo feeling to it. - You make a good point there. [face_thinking] Thanks!

I also liked the section of Chapter 3, part 2 when Mara enters the scene: "No, you wouldn't understand that. You couldn't." - Didn't even think of that. hhhhmmmmmm..... [face_thinking]

And, Vader fangirl that I am, I loved the conversation about him. - hehehehehe, no problem, I'm gonna find a place for that one. Thanks for the input!! :D

Tahi - Yay! Congrats on your nominations, RG. - Thanks!!! :D :D

I haven't quite read enough yet to proffer advice on excerpts, but for the character category basically any section where Mara's thoughts and opinions come through would work well. - I see what you are saying, and combining that with what Jedi Trace said I think I know what I'm going to do. Thanks! :D

StarFighter5 - Fallin data cards. The information will take even longer to decode. - This is a good thing. Because if they decoded any earlier then my entire timeline of events would be shot all to heck! :oops:

I think you should do the Anakin/Mara scene in one of your excerpts. Congrats on the nom. - Thanks! :D And yeah, that seems to be the favorite. :D

7. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Thanks! I'm glad you're loving it. Just, I'm not going to have any mass slaughters okay.

I'm devastated ;)

Congrats on your nomination BTW.

And good update.

8. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Spike2002

I'm devastated

Good. :D

Congrats on your nomination BTW.

Thanks so much! :)

And good update.

Thanks. Just wait till the next one...now things start to get interesting. [face_worried] [face_mischief]

9. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    now things start to get interesting.
    I think you're way past 'starting,' dear

10. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    I think you're way past 'starting,' dear

You would think so...

Let's just say that this only the tip of what's in store...

11. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    NOTICE - Since the holiday's and my wedding is just around the corner, I'm going to take a little break after I publish chapter five. This should give all my readers who have left for the holiday's time to catch up when they get back. Plus give me time to work on later chapters of this and my other story Haven City. Also, I'm going to be a basket case in two weeks anyway so anything I write might be completely intelligable. Enjoy.

Chapter 5 - Part 1

It was such a dull view, but at least Mara had one. When she was brought to the prison she expected to be thrown into a small room at least ten levels underground with nothing but a slab and bucket. Why would her jailers put her in a ground level room, and one sharing an exterior wall no less? Surely they knew that the former Emperor?s Hand could get out of room like this whenever she pleased.

No wonder Darius left this place. It was too much stupidity for him to handle.

Mara starred out at the small strip of grassy plains that separated the prison from the rest of the capital city of Kelve. The most important aspect of the city was that the spaceport was big enough to get lost in if that was what one desired.

Now and again Mara would see speeders fly by or individuals walking between the buildings on their daily business. Within the first day of captivity Mara had already figured out where she could get a speeder. Of course she would have to make it outside the prison perimeter first. She had that covered too. This was assuming that she was going to bother with trying to escape.

So this was what the force was getting at. Retribution.

Another hour or so passed. The only excitement Mara had was watching a kid driving a speeder bike take a corner too fast and almost plowed into a building. That reminded Mara. Darius?s father used to repair speeder bikes. He was the reason Darius left Latorin.

Grumbling Mara leaned her head against the window seal. What she was doing was hard enough without having herself constantly reminded of Darius. She betrayed him. Mara couldn?t argue that with herself anymore.

Darius Bartan. He was one of the greatest swordsmen that she had ever known, and the first real friend she ever had.

Few outside the Hapans bothered learning the skill of handling a vibrosword. Darius thought of it as a more civilized weapon. The blaster for him lacked a certain amount of sportsmanship in combat. When he joined the Academy he spent his extra training on what was thought of as a useless antique weapon. Soon word of his preference of the sword over the blaster made him a pariah in the eyes of his superiors. But that didn?t stop him and he quickly rose to the rank of captain.

As for his skills with the vibrosword, his talent was whispered about among those who bothered to keep up with such things. It was these whispers that Mara heard.

When she was first brought to the Imperial Palace to begin her training, the Emperor insisted that Mara learn to use the vibrosword. After years of practice, and with the Force as her aid, she had become quite the swordswoman herself. She yearned to test her skills against a worthy opponent. Mara had the power of the Emperor behind her, and so she used her pass codes to amend a few orders in the data system where he was stationed. She had arranged it so that there he was, standing before her, in an empty training hall.

Darius must have been ten or twelve years older then her. His eyes were the softest beige, almost white, which was a stark contrast to the dark chocolate of his hair. Darius stood tall like a fighter, a warrior.

Yes, Darius would make a worthy opponent indeed.

?I bet you?re curious as to why you?re here.? Mara remembered being smug. It was her power, her position, that got him there to do as she pleased.

?No.? Darius?s voice was strong and exact.

?Really?? Mara said with only a slight hint of surprise.

?Why should I be curious when you?re just going to tell me?? Darius obviously wasn?t impressed with her. Mara wanted to make h

12. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    *sputters* Blast it all!

Love the fight scene...looks like they both learned a lesson

But *sputters* You -- gah!

Jes

13. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Jesina

*sputters* Blast it all!

Love the fight scene...looks like they both learned a lesson

But *sputters* You -- gah!

I'm glad you liked the fight scene...but I'm a little worried about the rest of the comments.

Is this good or bad?

And don't worry, two more posts of Chapter 5 left before the intermission! You'll find out who's at the door!

14. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Either Leia has arrived or it's Luke. Will we get to see more of Darius and Mara?

15. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    first of all : Congratulations and have fun :D

I can see where he would mistake Mara for a impetuous high strung Brat. .. she was way to full of her own importance before the Emperor's death. .. ;)

I wonder how she betrayed him.
    Probably by being his freind, he was a freind back, and her having freinds didn't sit well with "good ol' Palpy" and his influence was eliminated. . .

grrrr

16. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    StarFighter

Either Leia has arrived or it's Luke.

Who would you like it to be? :confused:

Will we get to see more of Darius and Mara?

I dunno. Do you like Darius? [face_worried]

*wonders if she should burn later chapters and rewrite before she gets beaten up* [face_beatup]

maramijade

first of all : Congratulations and have fun

Thanks! That's the plan!! :D

I can see where he would mistake Mara for a impetuous high strung Brat. .. she was way to full of her own importance before the Emperor's death. ..

She was, wasn't she. Well, we'll just have to take care of that, won't we! [face_mischief] [face_whistling]

I wonder how she betrayed him.
    Probably by being his freind, he was a freind back, and her having freinds didn't sit well with "good ol' Palpy" and his influence was eliminated. . .

Good guess, but not exactly right. [face_whistling]

Thanks for reading both of you!!!

17. Mirax-Jade

Mar 7, 2003
    Hmmm...so we find out who Darius is...

Hmmm...

My bet on the person behind the door is Luke.

18. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    Haha...RG, you are malicious! And no, I don't think it's Luke...

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Excellent fight seen Red. I always like the mention of the fighter's maxim of always looking at the shoulder to anticipate your opponent's next move. It was one of the first things I was taught when I took up martial arts :)

20. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Mirax-Jade

Hmmm...so we find out who Darius is...

Hmmm...

Is that a hmmm'ing a good thing? [face_worried]

My bet on the person behind the door is Luke.

I'll put you down for a tenner then. :D

flowerbee

Haha...RG, you are malicious! And no, I don't think it's Luke...

You read that quickly! Thanks for joining us over here!

And yes, I'm evil...thank you for noticing! :D

So who do you think it is?

Spike2002

Excellent fight seen Red. I always like the mention of the fighter's maxim of always looking at the shoulder to anticipate your opponent's next move. It was one of the first things I was taught when I took up martial arts

Thanks Spike! Dad was a Marine so I learned this the hard way. Literally. I took up kick boxing instructed by a TKD blackbelt. It really does help with the fight scene writing!

I'm glad you enjoy this! :D

21. Mirax-Jade

Mar 7, 2003
    10 pounds or 10 dollars?

::rummages around for where ever I put all my British money::

That Hmming is...a...contemplative hmmm. lol

22. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    10 pounds or 10 dollars?

::rummages around for where ever I put all my British money::

Let's go with the dollars, it's worth more, sorta. Stupid exchange rates! :mad:

That Hmming is...a...contemplative hmmm. lol

Contemplative huh? What are you contemplating?

*looks suspiciously at Mirax-Jade*

23. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    Ack, yet another cliffie!!! You just love keeping us in suspense, don't you? ;)

Great fight scene!! I really loved the interaction between the two of them. Are we going to learn more the story later?

24. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Hey, just found your fic. Love Mara's charicterization! I am eagerly awaiting more. :)

(Though the uncompromising Luke/Mara worshipper in me is gazing at Darius Whatshisname in vague distrust... :p )

Who's at the door? My guess is Luke or Leia... but we'll see! [face_devil]

25. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Lady jade

Ack, yet another cliffie!!! You just love keeping us in suspense, don't you?

Yeah, it's a gift. I have to keep you coming back though, don't I!! :D

There will be more soon!

Great fight scene!! I really loved the interaction between the two of them. Are we going to learn more the story later?

I'm glad you liked. I really like Darius. You will be seeing a bit more of him in the story. I wasn't sure how well he would be received so his part is big, but at the same time, minimal. If that makes sense? Anyway, I was considering starting up a fic about him and Mara's relationship. Didn't know if anyone would be interested, or if I'd get chased out of the forums. [face_worried]

Jaded Girl

Hey, just found your fic. Love Mara's charicterization! I am eagerly awaiting more.

Thanks for joining us here! It's always good to have more Mara fans around! Don't worry, more soon.

And if you like my Mara characterizations, well, you might check out my Mara & Lando 'Date' series. It's about them on the mission Karrde sent them on. Everyone seems to think they are downright funny!

First Date
    Late-Night Date
    One Last Date

I also have one I wrote dealing with Mara's training under Palpy.

Training Day

(Though the uncompromising Luke/Mara worshipper in me is gazing at Darius Whatshisname in vague distrust... )

Hey, if Luke can have *shudders* Callista, then Mara can have Darius!!! Oops, did I give something away? But you have to admit, kinda unfair that Luke gets all these girlfriends and Mara never once has a real date.

Who's at the door? My guess is Luke or Leia... but we'll see!

Very soon in fact... *goes of to get next part ready to post tonight*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.