main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Empire #5: Princess...Warrior, part 1 (of 2) (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amidala Starkiller, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Star Wars: Empire #5

By: Randy Stradley & Davide Fabri & Christian Della Vecchia
    Cover by: Brian Ching

In the weeks prior to the events in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Princess Leia Organa undertakes a covert mission to deliver much needed supplies to the Rebel Alliance on the planet Ralltiir, only to have her mission thwarted when the forces of the Empire -- including Darth Vader -- take control of the planet. Leia escapes without the Imperials discovering the true reason for her visit, but she realizes that the time may be past for talk and "mercy missions." Turning her attention to another of the galaxy's trouble spots, Leia finds herself up to her neck in Imperial trouble and comes to terms with the need to take up arms against an evil enemy. Before she was a political firebrand, driven by an outraged sense of justice. Now she must fight to save a people targeted for extinction.

Published February 05, 2003
    FC, 32pg ... $2.99

I can't wait for this one :D

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Neither can I- I'm actually in the midsts of doing an adaptation of certain scenes from the radio drama as an example for my EU TV Show layout thread, so more details about these events will be most welcomed ::)

Though, I must ask- how come we haven't gotten a glimpse of the cover art for this issue?

3. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    I've been wondering that too ?[face_plain]

It seems like something should have been posted by now.

4. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Have to say, here, Empire has been the best series that Dark Horse has put out in a LONG time, probably since Open Seasons and several of the Tales stories, and I'm even willing to wait through their now-customary shipping delays to read it. Wonder if they're going to depict Lord Tion (finally) in this story...??

5. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    Up any have it yet?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's out, the two issue arc is entitled "Princess...Warrior".

Gonna read it now, when I'm done I'll type up my usual summary and edit or post it in.

EDIT-

Ok, it looks like the first half of the issue is an adaptation of the Ralltiir scenes from the Radio Drama- with a couple new scenes focused on the firefight distraction and Lord Tion activating and overhearing her misleading convesation with Antilles.

The other half is new, and takes place before she arrives back at Alderaan. Since this is the new part, I'll start my summary from that point on:

SPOILERS!!!

As they leave Ralltiir and prepare for hyperspace, Leia tells the medic aboard to take good care of theRebel with the message- the medic replies that the man will be fine after a day or so in the bacta tank.

Leia then goes on to speak with Antilles, saying that while they may be safe, Ralltiir will still be forced to endure Vader and Tion's purification- plus they still have the medical supplies aboard they tried to deliver there. Since they can't go back, Leia instructs them to plot a new course.

They arrive at the planet Kattada, at it's main spaceport. Leia meets with the elected leader of the planet, Mia Ikova. Mia and her discuss Leia's ties to the rebels while Leia asks that Mia use some of the many smugglers who call the main spaceport there, Haleoda, home to ship the supplies they're carrying to Ralltiir. Since they have no love for the Empire, she agrees- especially since her pilots enjoy a challenge.

As they speak, an Imperial sentinel lander touches down in the spaceport next to the Tantive IV. Antilles has his men get to the ship's turrets and hands Leia a commlink so that she can give the order to fire if it comes to that.

Stormtroopers and a couple officers disembark the lander, proclaiming that everyone is under arrest- including Leia. The officer goes on to explain that Tion's permission to allow her free leave did not extend beyond his jurisdiction- the Ralltiiri system (Ralltiri?). His permission was overruled by Lord Vader's order- if Leia's ship was found anywhere but on Alderaan, it was to be seized and searched.

Mia steps in to vouch for Leia, claiming she arrived for recreational pruposes. The officer doesn't believe her- they are a long way from the beaches. He places Mia under arrest as well. When her bodyguards order him to release her, the stormtroopers open fire, killing the guards and mortally wounding Mia, who dies in Leia's arms.

Leia: "You shot her...she's dying...there was no need. I would have come peacefully...you didn't have to kill her."

Commander Karg: "What is one life, more or less, tp the Empire? Besides, now your cooperation is assured."

Leia: "...FIRE!"

The Tantive's guns open fire on the troopers and officers. As the second in command orders a fallback to their ship. Karg ignores it, saying to Leia that this display of resistace only delays the inevitable, and seals her fate. Leia replies that he was the one who started the violence. Karg says he'll be the one to end it. He aims his gun at her head.

Karg:"Let's see how willing your crew is to fight when your life is in danger. Or better yet, let's see how quickly their foolishness ends when you are no longer alive to protect!"

(Gee, I hope they don't kill Leia off- she was such a good character... ;;D )

END SPOILERS!!!!

7. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I actually got a comic on the day it came out! OMG! :eek: :p

8. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I liked this story, though it didn't excite me as much as Betrayal did. Leia was drawn really good in some panels, and the planet Kattada was very beautiful. The dialogue was great, and Tion's expressions in some panels were funny.

All in all, an entertaining first part.

Still can't wait for that Boba Fett issue though :)

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Apparently BF has not a single line of dialogue in his upcoming comic. I can't wait. :D

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Boba Fett by Wagner & Kennedy = teh :cool:

11. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
  12. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    picked up "Princess...Warrior"
    the title is very appropriate ( most people putting those words together would say Warrior Princess, like Xena (or an X-wing title).. but Leia is still princess first.)

one of the best comics in the respect that i finished reading it and immediately hungered for part II. i'm not sure about Captain Antilles... i always assumed he was more just the ship captain, and not necessarily the head of princess' security detail (more like a Ric Olie than a Panaka) but now we see his Typho side.

So where are Artoo and Threepio?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Depends on how far into the Radio drama this goes. They don't cross paths with Leia until the Tantive IV sets out for Toprawa- which is after the Convoy attack in Rebel Dream occurs, which is after Leia gets home to Alderaan after this issue.

My guess would be that after this "side trip" wraps up, issue 2 will end with the dinner scene between Bail, Tion and Leia on Alderaan, so seeing the two droids will be unlikely.

Perhaps a future story arc after Darklighter and the Boba Fett issue will have the Toprawa mission.

14. Thief

Thief Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 29, 2001
    Well, it seems we finally know what the Lord Tion is. The rank badge he wears is, by Dr Saxton's reckoning, that of an Imperial brigadier (or brigadier-general, after the American usage).

15. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.