main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dr. Steve Brule, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    1. Get captured.
    2. Get rescued.

[face_tee_hee]

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So what about my comments do you disagree with? Or have you not read it?

In that case, I'd say, maybe take the opinion of one person who likes to heavily promote his own reviews and flaunt his own early-release copy acquisitions, and is trying to downplay another earlier review of a work he hasn't read yet, with a grain of salt.

But that's just me flapping my big mouth off. [face_batting]

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Guys, I'm starting to suspect that the good doctor here doesn't quite care for me.

In any event, I wasn't offering an opinion on the OP--how I feel about the book is beside the point.

5. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    True, and I loved the SpecForces handbook, but in terms of narrative, getting to do stuff a la Ackbar and A'Baht in the BFC...we really haven't seen him do all that much save a few briefings here and there.

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I dunno...he did flirt with you at the end of that tirade. [face_thinking]

krtmd and CooperTFN like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Let's play nicely everyone.

8. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    That was me. Here's what I said in the recently locked thread about when we'll get some news about the future of the EU (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...nnouncement-of-the-status-of-the-eu.50014805/):

2. Del Rey - Empire and Rebellion books. I recently read an interview with the author of the Luke centric book in which he said that none of the 3 authors of those books are familiar with anything EU...only the movies. The kicker is that he said that is what Del Rey/LucasBooks was looking for. Even those 3 books will not be in continuity with each other. The authors aren't talking to each other. They are just 3 stand alone books.

That mainly came from this interview on Club Jade http://clubjade.net/?p=53197

I'll go back and catch up on this thread, but could someone tell me if Madine is a General in Razor's Edge or some lesser rank?

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm not at all opposed to works that don't connect with the EU at all. Some of my favorite Star Wars books are the Daley trilogy, which obviously when read on their own are basically just completely original works that just happen to feature Han and Chewie in them. It just has to be a compelling story, and I don't think Razor's Edge quite got over that threshold.

I actually have a lot of hope for the Han Solo one, since the authors have done good contemporary pulpy space opera (probably some of the best of the last few years), and I think Han's characterization fits their own niche well. I think the hiring of James S.A. Corey to do Han is the sort of pattern Del Rey and Lucasbooks should have done a lot sooner, gotten a good up and coming, original-series genre author to do an EU book that reflects their area of interest and specialty, rather than just continuing to poach Warcraft/D&D/Trek/etc professional tie-in authors.

The Luke one, I know nothing about the author, but apparently the manuscript was very funny, so...I guess that's good? I suppose there's a lot of humor to be had in a novel about a guy whose entire family has been killed by the Space Nazis he's now in a life-or-death struggle with...

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    [face_hypnotized]

11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah i don't expect to love it because i think she is by far the most boring of the big three. Han will have the best book, followed by Luke. People seem to be able to replicate the character of Han Solo the easiest.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Leia, boring? What?

Gorefiend, Giovs and CooperTFN like this.
  13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Depends on who's writing her. KJA certainly seems under the impression that she's as boring as dried paint.

14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Not sure that is the right phrase there...unless you're specifically saying all painted art is boring.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I meant drying paint. Though I would have put something cleverer there if I wasn't too tired to come up with an appropriate metaphor.

16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I assume you mean 'refer to material from other EU works'. The Daley books are foundations of the EU. If anything, they were more disconnected from the movies, which is the reason I didn't read them at the time.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, author writing her poorly is one thing. The user seemed to suggest Leia, as a character, was inherently boring.

18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Leia's pretty high on my list of misused characters in the EU. She was poorly written through a pretty sizable chunk of Bantman's era, KJA's work especially, and the more recent books haven't had much for her to do, same as Han. Here's a question, then: in what EU works (comics, books, video games, etc) is Leia best characterized?

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Black Fleet Crisis springs to mind. Some NJO books. Barbara Hambly's books, for all their faults, use Leia pretty well.

20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yes, the Hambly books are all about Leia. Children of the Jedi is more or less a Leia character study. There's an interesting character arc there which I think got cribbed for Tatooine Ghost.

21. Backbench Jedi

Backbench Jedi Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2013
    As a character, maybe. I would still would love to read a book about her being alone and doing some actual diplomacy. Put some retcons and obscure stuff on top on that and i would be really happy.

22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight, Before the Storm, Shield of Lies, Tyrant's Test.

Perhaps people think she's boring because those books aren't well regarded.

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Why are people even guessing? TTT and Shadows of Mindor? [face_dunno]

24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I wasn't asking for guesses, I was just wondering what people's favorite portrayals of Leia are.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    My favourite Leia moment in the EU, oddly, is pretty random. In "The Last Command" when she's giving birth she's irritated by the soothing light sequencing patterns in the labour room. Sticks in my head. Good character bit. You'd figure she'd have no patience for some pointless nicety like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.