main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Empire Fan Fest (a convention)

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by idarii, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idarii

idarii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    hey all

i know some of you might know this already, but our friends down in the NYC fanforce are putting on their own convention and have extended an invitation to all groups. here's what they have to say:

I would like to invite you and your clubs to The Empire Fan Fest Convention being held on April 17th & 18th in Secaucus NJ. During the con we will be having a gathering of all the local (and not so local) Fan Groups.

The guest of honor will be Mark Hamill.
    Please note however that Mr. Hamill WILL NOT BE SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS.

Information on the con can be found here

2. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Anyone plan on going? That's a really good weekend for me because I have that Monday and Tuesday off from school. I'd love to go, but I don't want to go all by my lonesome. :)

3. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    i'm fairly sure i'll be going, and tom has expressed interest. so you'll have at least two people going :)

4. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    This would involve spending the night there, wouldn't it? If so, any idea how much hotels run? And what about transportation?

5. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    I'd like to go if you guys are going, though I do have class on Monday so would have to be back Sunday night. I've never been to a convention before and would like to go muchly...

If that's okay with you guys that is. :)

6. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Do I sense a road trip?

7. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    uhm, well i spoke to meriwyn and she said the hotel they have a deal with was about $100 per night, but there was some other hotel nearby that was like $50 a night. i'll try and get more detail.

as for transportation, i'd love to offer my car in a carpool but it's on a lease and mileage restrictions are a pain (the recent trip to hartford to go to red lobster is a little ouchie right now)...so i'd be taking the train. which is not a bad ride. unless someone were willing to drive, in which case i'd be happy to supply gas money and snacks.

8. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    How much is a train ticket, assuming we can't work out a carpool? I know nothing of such things as the only train I've ever taken in the US has been the commuter rail...and the only other train I've been on in my life was in France, hehe. :)

9. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    The bus from Boston is $20 each way.

10. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    How long by bus will it take to get there?
    The train is cool and more comfortable.
    its about 200 miles i think. I wouldn't be able to leave until 8:30 a.m. Sunday morning from Boston. Would I make it in time to convention? When would everyone else be leaving?

11. idarii

Jun 25, 2002
    yeah for some reason the bus and train are cheaper from boston than from providence. unfortunately i think the train is something like $124 round trip from providence ... but it is pretty comfy. i've done the bus ride to and from NYC and it's just ... ik ... not good ... very cramped.

chris the con is the 17th and 18th so i'd most likely be leaving saturday morning

12. DarthLucanas

Mar 22, 2003
    Yes indeed the bus is horrible!!!
    My adventure to C2 involved taking bus to Indianapolis (23 hrs. of pain) but had to experience a long bus trip just once in my life.

I took the train back from Indy and it was great. :)

13. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    Scratch what I said. I can't read.

I could probably drive providing I had an able navigator. I have never been down that way before so I would probably need a little help.

14. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I volunteer to navigate, but I don't make any promises about doing it well. :)

15. Essence

Essence Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    This sounds neat. And Mark Hamill? For real? Wow. I do believe I am a dork. This sounds great. Who's going for sure? I might consider it.

16. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    We should really start planning for this more seriously soon, since it's a lot to think about. I'd still like to go.

17. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    I would as well. And since it will be somewhat expensive it wouldn't hurt to look into prices and hotels and whatnot.

I suppose we should find out, how many people would be going and for how long. If we need to make hotel room reservations, we need to figure out how many rooms we need and how many people to a room. I wonder if they charge extra for four people per room?

18. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    I did a quick search. A room for 4 people at that hotel goes from 80-200 dollars a night.

Just came across Near by hotels.

19. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Is that $80-100 per person, or per room? Big difference. :)

20. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    per night per room.

21. DarthLucanas

Mar 22, 2003
    Hmm I have a few vacation days I could use.
    Lets get planning!!

22. -Raldayen-

-Raldayen- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2003
    You should get a double bed room and have like 10 sleep in it. Lol. You know some on the bed, some on chairs and on the floor. It would look like my old barracks after a loooong weekend. :D If I can get the time off from work I would go.

23. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Well, I've got directions and two free spots in my car. Anyone wanting a lift, let me know.

24. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Hey guys!

Glad to see you're coming down to enjoy our first convention! We have lots of stuff planned so bring your costumes and whatever else you bring on road trips...LOL.

If anyone has any questions, please by all means feel free to post them here or contact me via PM if you wish. Also, check out our website...link is in my sig.

See you next month!

25. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Ed, when would you be departing and coming back? I'm interested in a spot in your car. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.