main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Empire magazine's cover revealed

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Logical Scoundrel, Aug 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

Totally agree.

Yeah - it's hard I think when they release the best parts online early.

FWIW, I think the two new BTS shots are both really nice. As ThreeDeathstickProblem says, the desert one feels appropriately epic - while it's nice to see Finn with his helmet off at the Jakku slaughter - I suspect this is the moment he allows villagers to escape rather than kill them. And it's good he's taken off his helmet (why? how? Faulty transmitter? Needs to think clearly? knocked loose in the fight?) as we'll get to see the performance. It's also good to see that he looks like a trained soldier and not like a shanghaied recruit.

TK327 and thejeditraitor like this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

That's true, however, the article in question, considering that there are two covers and it is screaming that it is a big exclusive, is basically mostly filler - it's JJ talking about being excited. I'm totally fine with them keeping the film under wraps, but not so fine with paying £5 for a magazine that has a Star Wars article that contains virtually nothing at all that hasn't already been revealed.

It's more a problem with Empire magazine itself than with the marketing of the film, Total Film tends to be a lot better for in depth articles, and probably wouldn't do the trade off of lack of actual info for what they could label as an exclusive.

The magazine itself actually apologises, almost, in the editor's column, by saying that the article is just a small taste of what will be coming up in future months: they maybe should have made that clear on the cover.

(I realise I come over really ranty, I'm not actually that bothered, but if I articulate my opinion on the magazine like a review, that's what I'd come up with. I'm still going to read the rest of it in the pub inhalf an hour)

3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    isn't that why I kept telling people that it's not worth the pay.;)

with Empire done I think the next announced magazine is the Vogue one but that one seems more focused on Ridley/Boyega more than on VII.

4. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Probably not, since it's very unlikely that footage (or more importantly, score) will be released.

5. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah but merchandise and books/comics that tease/hint at stuff in VII is not to bad of a start and we don't know what else is in stores for September.:)

nightangel likes this.
  6. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well those are ok pics I guess. [face_dunno]
    *sigh* Back to waiting for the trailer

7. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't mind buying it - it's a one-off and there's plenty of readable stuff in it. Also, nice to see the actual photos so to speak - it's great to see just how unstable Kylo's saber is. It reminds me of the way the spells from the wands in the duel between Voldemort and Dumbledore are almost dripping/ melting off the main beams of energy.

8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    well at least they confirmed that it's the Falcon that they (Rey/Finn) run towards in that pic from Celebration as if it wasn't obvious.:p

9. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Don't know if this has been posted but the BB8 cover is nice (though not a surprise at all).

[​IMG]

Fixed for starocean90

Redimet, Revanfan1, TK327 and 3 others like this.
  10. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    a link only to it was posted back on page 10 but I don't get this new trend where people post a link to a pic instead of the pic themselves which is nicer to see than clicking at a link.[face_dunno]

Satipo and nightangel like this.
  11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Probably not the case here, but a lot of website's don't like pics being embedded in forum posts because they want you to go to their website to see the pic (and see/click AD'S) That can be especially true if the images are copyrighted.

I run a website and I've been asked a couple of times to remove pictures/charts and post links to a website instead.

12. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    that's when one owns and runs a website but I'm talking about how people here instead of posting the pics they post links to pics which I've seen numerous times in the last few months. ;)

@Satipo
    see now there's a nice sight, why was BB-8 hiding it's "pretty" face before, there's nothing to be shy about?:p

nightangel likes this.
  13. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I wouldn't expect Empire or any other publication to be dropping much big info though, really. I thought the JJ quote about Snoke and Kylo was quite big, if I'm being quite honest. More than I'd have expected to be said at this point. These sort of 'exclusives' usually tend to be mostly fluff with a few one off images in my experience. It's mostly general chit chat about the fact that there's a new Star Wars film coming, informative enough to sell a copy of the mag to someone with a passing interest, but not containing much that isn't already known or speculated about by those who spend time on spoiler forums. The average Joe will find it quite interesting. Most people on these boards; probably not.

14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

That's true, and people who go to other forums would know that. You have to remember that Star is surgically grafted onto this one though.

15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. In one sense these magazines shoot themselves in the foot with the early drip feed rather than dropping the magazine in one go (maybe not in terms of hits or even sales, but in terms of the "is that all?" entitlement mindset that pervades pop-culture now.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    I bought it this morning from the local petrol station. The missus was just as excited. Haven't read it yet but I actually am looking forward to reading an article in a magazine rather than online.

Practical effects baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr strangelove, G-FETT and Satipo like this.
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  18. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I didn't even want revelations really - it was just quite a poor article as a whole. It's a brief phone chat with JJ padded out to a few pages, with a couple of sidebar bits to fill space

19. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015
    Terrible, as expected

the wait until the October trailer goes on, enjoy your 18 hour unboxing of children toys video

20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    lol, what do some of you people want?

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I would have liked a more substantial interview, some on set anecdotes, a bit more talk about the challenges of getting the script right.

Edit: I think this is the first time I've disagreed with Satipo

Satipo likes this.
  22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Oh, I was replying to the "that was terrible" comment. Terrible feels like hyperbole to me.

thejeditraitor and sterling3763 like this.
  23. DashRender90

DashRender90 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 20, 2015
    I think it feels just right for a fluff piece disguised as a THIS IS THE EXCLUSIVE YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR! cover story

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    well I would have liked the entire script to be on the magazine and anything that's not that would be meh.[face_clown]

joking more pics from the movie maybe a few aliens could have been cool,interviews about the movie but it seems that since SDCC-present JJ seems to not want to discuss story yet which makes you wonder when will he do so in Sept-Dec?It really does seem like all the big info will come out in the Fall. So all that's left is yet again the behind the scenes stuff.

on the positive side, those 3 covers (including BB-8) the Kylo pic and the Finn stuff is better than nothing.;)

nightangel likes this.
  25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014

Nope. Still hyperbole.

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.