main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Empire of Dreams premier in South Africa

Discussion in 'Archive: South Africa' started by starwarstoys, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarstoys

starwarstoys Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2004
    The History Channel on DSTV will be premiering the the Star Wars Special - Empire of Dreams on Saturday 18 Sept at 7:30pm.

Those guys and gals who might not have access to this special is welcome to lemme know as I will be taping it and can maybe screen it at one of the meetups (mentioned in a previous thread)

2. E3SA

E3SA Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2004
    Thanks! Just put a reminder in my phone. I'll be sure to catch it.

E3SA

3. E3SA

E3SA Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2004
    So, I just watched EOD... And I'm very, very impressed. On one hand, I'm impressed at how much original footage was included that wasn't part of the actual movie, because naturally everyone wants to compare "special features" of yesterday to "special features" of today. But today, movie-makers go into a project knowing that there will be a DVD with features.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see how well structured it was. In recent times I've been disappointed by Michael Moore's very poor documentaries, and this contrasted very nicely with it, albeit of different nature.

I read up on www.thehistorychannel.co.za about how some of the actors were difficult to talk to, like Anthony Daniels... After hearing many stories about Mark Hamill's attitude towards SW, I lost respect for him, and he didn't do all that much justice in the documentary either. He made things sound pathetic which, well... we know it wasn't - that's why you and I are here :)

Carrie Fisher's sense of humour is fantastic too... But the biggest thing I walked away from after seeing this, basically just reassured suspicions of mine about Lucas. The guy went against the flow of the stream, few people believed in him, he was resourceful and committed to the end... And what's the effect? He changed cinematography. Stephen Spielberg would not be the legend he is without George's pioneering in technology and techniques. There are huge lessons within Star Wars, and indeed, outside Star Wars. If people tell me that George lost his abilities when making Episode I & II, I'll just say "you haven't seen Empire of Dreams, have you?". I have so much respect for how he always just went with what he wanted to, what made him feel like it was right and enough. Putting the SE versions on DVD has been controversial but people just don't seem to realise the facet of the artist's right.

Great documentary, my Saturday evening well-spent in doors :)

E3SA

4. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I couldn't see it because Multichoice decided to cut off my DSTV over some stupid mistake on their side! Anyway Empire of Dreams is on the bonus disc of the Star Wars Trilogy DVD, isn't it?

5. E3SA

E3SA Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2004
    Yeah it is, but only a 1.5hr version was shown on TV prior to the release, which is the one I made mention of... I see the History Channel is re-broadcasting every so often, so check out the TV guide unless you have the DVD. I haven't got round to checking the full EOD on the DVD yet...

E3SA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.