Beyond Empire of the Hand (Post NJO: Jaina Solo, Jag) Completed 9/26/05!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Title: Empire of the Hand
    Author: YodaKenobi
    Timeframe: Post NJO
    Characters: Jaina Solo, Jag Fel, Alema Rar, more.
    Genre: Adventure, mystery
    Keywords:
    Summary: Jaina Solo embarks on a search for a missing Jedi Knight that takes her into the Unknown Regions where something more sinister has been gathering.
    Notes:

This is a continuation of the storyline from Revolution, The Eighth Cortex, and The Living Force . You don't need to have read them, just know that they replace "The Final Prophecy" and "The Unifying Force" in the NJO storyline, and that the New Jedi Order ended differently.

This will probably be much shorter than the above fics, as it's just meant to be a launching point for another series later. I hope you all enjoy it :)

Thanks to the readers of The Living Force for your encouragment :)

Here is some coverart provided very generously by Maggy:

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/YodaKenobi/EmpireoftheHand.jpg]

Dramatis Personae

Alema Rar; Jedi Knight (female Twi'lek)
    Anausia Ciezor; pirate (female Human)
    Belorne; GFFA Commander,Muuri outpost (male Human)
    Brosh; commander of Thrawn's household phalanx (male Chiss)
    C-3PO; protocol droid
    Chi'tolow; bounty hunter (male Tunnisan)
    Corssa; Imperial commander (female Chiss)
    Gazzo; smuggler (male Toydarian)
    Ghost; Imperial stormtrooper (male Human)
    Hunter; Imperial stormtrooper (male Human)
    Jagged Fel; Chiss Commander (male Human)
    Jaina Solo; Jedi Knight (female Human)
    Kyrn (Shawnk'yr'nuruodo); Colonel, Chiss Expansionary Defense Fleet (female Chiss)
    Luke Skywalker; Jedi Master (male Human)
    Lyress; Adjucate, Sabosen family (female Chiss)
    Mysi Ona-Rem; GFFA Colonel, Muuri outpost (female Human)
    Oaxley; Lieutenant, CEDF (male Chiss)
    Runeori; Aristocra, Inrokini family (Male Chiss)
    Soontir Fel; Chief Syndic Chiss Expansionary Defense Fleet (Male Human)
    Strafe; Imperial stormtrooper (female Chiss)
    Talon Karrde; independant information broker (male Human)
    Voss Parck; former Imperial Captain (male Human)
    Wampa; Imperial stormtrooper (male Human)
    Wrev Caster; Jedi Knight (male Human)

(More will be added to the dramatis as I go)

NJO Spoiler Warning: I got a PM from someone who was afraid there were NJO spoilers in this fic and thought I should warn people. I'm not sure if there actually are any, since this is written about the NJO with a different ending, but just in case, you may want to avoid this if you haven't read the NJO. :)
  2. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Chapter 1: Hitchhiker

She clutched the hilt of the glowing weapon in battered hands, held low and staggering on battle-weary legs. Before her was her enemy, ready to attack, his lightsaber blindingly intense, obscuring his face. She didn't know who it was but she knew that she loved him... and yet they were enemies in this place she could not make out. It was too fuzzy around the boarders, an illusion she could only see peripherally despite her best efforts? but it was windy. Somewhere out in the open. Somewhere at a high altitude.

She brought her blade up to a guard, hands trembling as she braced herself for her foe's attack; she looked at the ground between them. Writhing in the throws of death was another she loved, but differently... The smell of cauterized flesh was nauseating, and the man's wails seemed more distant than they should have been, as if coming from underwater.

She dragged her tear-filled gaze away from the fallen and settled them back upon her rival. He stepped over his victim and brought his shimmering blade around in a fierce strike.

And a deafening scream sent her vision into white.

The blaring siren of the Millennium Falcon's reversion alarm brought Jaina Solo out of her sleep and jolted her upright with panic. As she looked around the familiar cockpit with wide eyes, the Jedi Knight began to get her bearings and settled back into the pilot's seat. Gently rubbing her eyes and wiping an embarrassing amount of saliva from the corner of her mouth, Jaina reacquainted herself with the Falcon's instruments before the aging YT-1300 Corellian freighter slid out of hyperspace and brought the dizzying stream of lights into single scattered points.

"It seems we have arrived, Mistress Jaina," a nervous metallic voice announced from beside her.

"Threepio, you really have begun to master the art of interpreting obvious starship signals," Jaina sighed.

"Why thank you," C-3PO replied, oblivious to the sarcasm in the young woman's voice. "I trust your sleep was restful."

Jaina's brow furrowed as she went over her startling nightmare. It had been so real...

"Not exactly."

"Oh..."

Jaina didn't bother expanding on her answer to the gold-plated protocol droid, instead using a Jedi relaxation technique to slow her racing pulse. It was the second time she'd had the dream in as many weeks, and she was afraid that it meant something more.

Pushing her fears away, Jaina took in the ship's sensor readings, knowing she needed to focus on her mission and that the distraction would help her ignore the gnawing after effects of such a dream. In a few hours she might forget about it completely or at least forget why it had troubled her so much. It was the same strategy she'd used to avoid internal and personal struggles for years. The chill in her bones, however, told her that this particular fright might take a bit more than simple escapism to resolve.

"Might I ask why we came out so far away from our destination? It seems to me it will take much longer using the ship's sublight engines."

Their destination was an innocuous point in dead space according to the nav computer, just outside of the Bright Jewel System and the Outer Rim.

"Because we don't want to make the same mistake our predecessor made," Jaina explained. "If we run into the dovin basal mines as well, we won't be much of a rescue force."

"Oh, indeed," Threepio agreed. "I have just never been terribly comfortable with space travel?"

"I know, Threepio," Jaina cut in. "Just relax. As soon as we get this taken care of, we can get back to what I was supposed to be doing and you can go back home."

If something else doesn't come up, Jaina thought grimly. The eldest Solo child was supposed to be running supplies and farming equipment to refugees on Ansion. Two-and-a-half-years after the Yuuzhan Vong surrendered at Coruscant, the Jedi were still running supplies to the billions displaced by the invasion force's rampage, while warlords and rogue organizatio
  3. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So Jaina and Jag meet again.
  4. Morgoth_The_Enemy Jedi Knight

star 3
    Morgoth runs through the thread on a mad sugar filled rush...

wow YodaKenobi, not bad for a start,but then, it is one of your fics so, i expected no less. I'm not too much of a Jaina fan as i found her to be too, how to put this, stiff and boring in the NJO, then again the majority of that series was stiff and boring (Except Greg Keyes stuff) you make her seem interesting however and I'm intrigued at how the plot might unravel from what I read in the first post.
    I'll be keeping an eye on this, when I've got the time to (See my reply to your message in my fic thread for further explanation)

well, i'll sit here and work on my Egyptology stuff whilst I await the next post!
  5. JDH3 Jedi Master

star 4
    Gazzo; smuggler (male Toydarian)

Toydarian characters are not often seen in fanfic, but they?re :cool:

Then again, her father and mother seemed to be genuinely happy most of the time these days.

Yay! :)

The last time she'd been able to relax had been on a three month holiday her family had taken on Naboo...

Nice! I do so enjoy tying things together, even if the characters don?t know it.

Alema is missing?! And you thought me making her a Dug?s pleasure slave was bad. :mad: :p

Don't come any closer, Falcon! They're out there."

Uh-oh... [face_worried]

The skip really didn't have a chance.

[face_devil]

Acting out lightsaber fantasies like holodrama stars instead of true Jedi Knights.

Reminds me of the Jacen/Anakin duel in Vector Prime. Is that intentional, I wonder. [face_thinking]

Wrev just grinned. "Apparently so does diplomacy."

Ouch

[face_laugh]

"My, he's certainly a peculiar human being," Threepio said when the Jedi was out of ear-reach.

"You can say that again," Jaina murmured as she watched Wrev's shadow disappear.

"My, He's certainly a peculiar human being."

Jaina looked at the droid with tired eyes. "This is going to be a long trip.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I can?t believe that Han let the Falcon out of his sight! :eek: And where are Han and Leia, anyway? :confused:

Great start, YK! :D

JD.
  6. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Sil: So Jaina and Jag meet again.

Most likely :p thanks for reading.

Morgoth: Morgoth runs through the thread on a mad sugar filled rush...

Good to see you again, Morgoth :D

wow YodaKenobi, not bad for a start,but then, it is one of your fics so, i expected no less. I'm not too much of a Jaina fan as i found her to be too, how to put this, stiff and boring in the NJO, then again the majority of that series was stiff and boring (Except Greg Keyes stuff) you make her seem interesting however and I'm intrigued at how the plot might unravel from what I read in the first post.

Yeah, I knew it would be a surprise that Anakin wasn't in it, but this story really only works with Jaina, and I've been wanting to write something that centered around her for awhile (She was a major character in 8th cortex and TLF). Hopefully Jaina will hold your interest.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, when I've got the time to (See my reply to your message in my fic thread for further explanation)
    well, i'll sit here and work on my Egyptology stuff whilst I await the next post!

Fun :p

JD: Toydarian characters are not often seen in fanfic, but they?re

:D

Nice! I do so enjoy tying things together, even if the characters don?t know it.

They were going to Naboo at the end of TLF if you remember :D

Alema is missing?! And you thought me making her a Dug?s pleasure slave was bad.

That's because you were going to besmirch Alema's good name. :p

Reminds me of the Jacen/Anakin duel in Vector Prime. Is that intentional, I wonder.

Sort of. It's more about all those Jedi in the NJO who came off as show-offs and died :(

I can?t believe that Han let the Falcon out of his sight!

Just to borrow it so she could move those supplies ;) he's not using it so much these days anyway.

And where are Han and Leia, anyway?

Denon, probably.

Great start, YK!

7. jasa Jedi Knight

star 3
    "My, he's certainly a peculiar human being," Threepio said when the Jedi was out of ear-reach.

"You can say that again," Jaina murmured as she watched Wrev's shadow disappear.

"My, He's certainly a peculiar human being."

Jaina looked at the droid with tired eyes. "This is going to be a long trip."

~~

hehe

ps. i read the 3 other stories all last weekend, they were great, i wish that was how the series went itself, bringing anakin back...
  8. Magnuskn Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, cool start! :)

But, um, Jaina is having PMS, yes? Because with her behaviour, I´m kinda comparing her to Buffy in season 6 of the corresponding series. :p

And I had hoped you would write about startling discoveries during the vacations on Naboo... ;)

Aaaand... Anakin and Tahiri? Where are they? :p I´m guessing she is his apprentice, although that somehow doesn´t sound right, neither...

Magnus
  9. FORCEBlLADE Force Ghost

star 3
    Not a bad start. Not a bad start at all.
  10. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    YK: Jaina with the Falcon, Threepio, Wrev, and in the background, A/T, Jag, Luke[/Mara], H/L maybe Kyp... and, that title... :D :D :D

I'm going to enjoy this one! :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok
  11. JAGSGURL15 Jedi Master

star 4
    Very nice! uve got me interested~!
  12. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    jasa: hehe

:D

ps. i read the 3 other stories all last weekend, they were great, i wish that was how the series went itself, bringing anakin back...

Wow, thanks :) I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Magnuskn: Hey, cool start!

:cool:

But, um, Jaina is having PMS, yes?

Well, that's not the way I would describe it. She's just going through a lot and isn't timid about telling people what she thinks.

Because with her behaviour, I´m kinda comparing her to Buffy in season 6 of the corresponding series. :p

I've never really watched that show.

And I had hoped you would write about startling discoveries during the vacations on Naboo...

The only thing they discovered was that Naboo is beautiful ;)

Aaaand... Anakin and Tahiri? Where are they? I´m guessing she is his apprentice, although that somehow doesn´t sound right, neither...

If it doesn't make any sense, that's probably not what I meant. Of course, Wrev could have meant Tahiri and been joking by using the word "apprentice." But "master" would probably fit Tahiri better for a metaphor on that relationship.

FORCEBlLADE: Not a bad start. Not a bad start at all.

Thrawn: YK: Jaina with the Falcon, Threepio, Wrev, and in the background, A/T, Jag, Luke[/Mara], H/L maybe Kyp... and, that title...

Yeah, that's basically it, though I should probably take Luke out of the dramatis cause I think he may not make much of an appearance [face_thinking] I do know of a secret character who you'll be happy to see though, Ewok :D

I'm going to enjoy this one!

Hope so :)

JAGSGURL15: Very nice! uve got me interested~!

Thanks for reading :)
  13. Magnuskn Force Ghost

star 4
    YodaKenobi wrote:

>>If it doesn't make any sense, that's probably not what I meant. Of course, Wrev could have meant Tahiri and been joking by using the word "apprentice." But "master" would probably fit Tahiri better for a metaphor on that relationship.<<

<eyes glaze over> Errrr... yes. Interesting. :p

Magnus
  14. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    It was intentionally ambiguous :p
  15. Draconarius Force Ghost

star 4
    Ooh. Caught my attention. I'll have to read the other stories. Very nice start.

Jaina's always been a favourite of mine, so I think I'll like this. Can't wait till you put up Chapter Two!

Where are Anakin and Tahiri, anyway? Off on the honeymoon, or something like that?
  16. Jedi_Master_Mouf Jedi Master

star 3
    *scrolls through pages of fics, YodaKenobi is the author of a fic, does double take and clicks as fast as possible*

yay! another fic by YK!

~JMM~
  17. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Interesting beginning! =D=

Poor Jag... :( He needs some one to keep him company. ;)

I want to know where Anakin & Tahiri are too! :* Hopefully together! [face_praying]
  18. Tahiri-Solo Force Ghost

star 4
    :eek: :eek:

a new fic?!?!?!?! my life has meaning again!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Draconarius: Ooh. Caught my attention. I'll have to read the other stories. Very nice start.

Jaina's always been a favourite of mine, so I think I'll like this. Can't wait till you put up Chapter Two!

Yes, I like Jaina too. I'll have another post up this week.

Where are Anakin and Tahiri, anyway? Off on the honeymoon, or something like that?

They're not married. They're probably doing the same type of thing as Jaina, traveling around the galaxy on whatever mission the new Jedi Council sends them on.

Mouf: *scrolls through pages of fics, YodaKenobi is the author of a fic, does double take and clicks as fast as possible*
    yay! another fic by YK!

Alright! Someone who will read whatever I right no matter how terrible it is [face_mischief]

:p Thanks for reading, Mouf; it's good to see you again :)

TSF: Interesting beginning!

Poor Jag... He needs some one to keep him company.

Yes, it's cold on Csilla. Perhaps he could just curl up with a book :p or maybe he'll meet a nice Chiss girl.

I want to know where Anakin & Tahiri are too! Hopefully together!

Well, Tahiri's last name is still Veila if that's what you're asking. That post references Anakin having been on Sullust recently. Basically, the Jedi are all over the place, and Anakin and Tahiri are probably apart a lot more than together.

Tahiri-Solo: a new fic?!?!?!?! my life has meaning again!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[face_laugh]

I'll be sure to tell your son that someday :p Thanks for reading, Erin :D
  20. zettazofia Jedi Knight

star 2
    I did a marathon read of the other fics in this series, and really enjoyed them. I'm excited to see a more Jaina centric fic coming from you, and I look forward to the updates.

One question though- Stent is listed in your Dramatis Personae. Didn't he die in Red Sky, Blue Flame? I'm a newbie to SW fiction, so I don't know how well the short stories like that work into fanfic, so I'm sorry if that's a stupid question.

Anyway- I'm really looking forward to reading this. It sounds like it'll be a great read. :)
  21. TahiriSoloFan Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin and Tahiri are probably apart a lot more than together.

Awwwww! [face_not_talking] You are NO fun! ;) Oh, well... at least the time they do spend together should be really meaningful! :* [:D] =P~ [face_love] @};-

[face_laugh] ;)

...and Jag needs more than a book! :p
  22. Jedi_Master_Mouf Jedi Master

star 3
    of course I'll read when you write no matter how bad, because you actually consistent and will post when you say.
  23. FORCEBlLADE Force Ghost

star 3
    The part you wrote about some Jedi still not sure about Wrev - could that be forshadowing?
  24. Tahi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yay! You're away again, Yoda. This looks GREAT - off on a slightly different track from the other which makes it especially challenging. Good for you - it's always good to sample how the land lies with other characters.

I love the banter - and I'm enjoying your Jaina. Like some of the others I found the NJO Jaina a bit tedious, especially after the YJK Jaina who I liked.

Nice combination of characters here. I'm looking forward to what develops. :)
  25. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    zettazofia: I did a marathon read of the other fics in this series, and really enjoyed them. I'm excited to see a more Jaina centric fic coming from you, and I look forward to the updates.

Wow, thanks :D that's a lot of reading for one weekend :p hope you can still see straight.

One question though- Stent is listed in your Dramatis Personae. Didn't he die in Red Sky, Blue Flame? I'm a newbie to SW fiction, so I don't know how well the short stories like that work into fanfic, so I'm sorry if that's a stupid question.

:oops: I had not read RSBF before and I had no idea [face_blush] Was it published in gamer? Anyway, someone sent me copy today and you're right, Stent it dead. His death is a little ambiguous, but I don't feel like going into a big conspiracy to get him in the story, when an OC chiss will do just as well :p that and I've used up all my bringing back the dead credit on Revolution.

Thanks so much for telling me. That would have been really embarrassing :)

Anyway- I'm really looking forward to reading this. It sounds like it'll be a great read.

Thanks again :D

TSF: Awwwww! You are NO fun!

You already knew that :p

Oh, well... at least the time they do spend together should be really meaningful!

Yes, you can imagine whatever you like about their time together [face_mischief] 8-}

...and Jag needs more than a book!

The book was "How to impersonate a human being".

Mouf: of course I'll read when you write no matter how bad, because you actually consistent and will post when you say.

:D I'll try and keep it that way.

FB: The part you wrote about some Jedi still not sure about Wrev - could that be forshadowing?

It certainly could be ;)

Tahi: Yay! You're away again, Yoda. This looks GREAT - off on a slightly different track from the other which makes it especially challenging. Good for you - it's always good to sample how the land lies with other characters.

Thanks so much :) I really wanted to write something that centered around Jaina and it's kind of nice to work on something that isn't such a huge scale as TLF with about 90 characters and all.

I love the banter - and I'm enjoying your Jaina. Like some of the others I found the NJO Jaina a bit tedious, especially after the YJK Jaina who I liked.

Yeah, at times in the NJO she seemed cruel for no reason at all.

Nice combination of characters here. I'm looking forward to what develops.

I'm glad, but you're going to ruin the end of TLF for yourself :p
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.