main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Empire of the Hand (Post NJO: Jaina Solo, Jag) Completed 9/26/05!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by YodaKenobi, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Jedi_Eruanne

Jedi_Eruanne Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    :eek: :eek: :eek: It wouldn't be disgracing!!!! Jag would want her to be happy!!!! Besides, Jag is still alive, and Wrev likes Kyrn.

Um, btw, was that the end....*realizes it is* AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! THere is a sequel, right?????????

2. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    It wouldn't be disgracing!!!! Jag would want her to be happy!!!! Besides, Jag is still alive, and Wrev likes Kyrn.

No...no... NO... JAG WILL DIE!!!!! [face_devil]

3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    jaya: So when's the sequel?

I was hoping to start the next series in October, but that's looking bleak. Hopefully soon though.

Eruanne: Ooo, the plot thickens. I do hope you have sequel for this.

A 4 fic series, actually ;)

Not good, I've only done two days when I haven't slept and I didn't have a whole lot of fun.

Yeah, things get weird :p

Oh my giddy aunt...this is seriuosly NOT GOOD!!!!

[face_laugh]

Awesome post! Loved Wrev and Jaina's growning affection for each other,

Is that what it is? [face_mischief]

but Jag better live....or I don't know what I'll do to you...

[face_worried]

Next FRIKKIN' POST!!!!

Sometime next week. Will be the absolute last post!

Thanks for reading :)

evil-twin: It sad that this fic will soon be finished.

Nah, I'm glad to be done with it. Moving on to bigger and better fics, I promise!

And I think that the Chiss should look for help when designing basements.

It wasn't actually in the basement, it was in the caves of the moutain it was built into :p

Thrawn: *grins* Great update...

Hmm... I get echoes of Luke and Mara in VotF, and Jaina's insistance that Jaina is dead between SbS and DW...

Huh?

As for the Luke/Mara in VotF thing, definitely intentional [face_mischief]

Both of which may, of course, be shameless misdirection, or pure coincidence... either way - good work!!

Thank you again ;)

oldj: Of course. De-nile.

[face_tongue

Whitey: You know what'd be even better than Jag being dead? Jaina disgracing his memory by falling in love with Wrev.

That would be pretty great [face_mischief] Nice idea, Whitey, we'll see how it plays out [face_devil]

Eruanne: It wouldn't be disgracing!!!! Jag would want her to be happy!!!!

I think he meant to do so now, while Jag's body was still warm :p (if it ever was!)

Besides, Jag is still alive, and Wrev likes Kyrn.

One of those is dead wrong.

Um, btw, was that the end....*realizes it is* AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! THere is a sequel, right?????????

No, there is one more epiloguish post to wrap things up (or to wrap the things up that I want to and leave a bunch for later [face_devil]). After that, there will be a series of fics. This is really just a teaser for those.

Whitey: No...no... NO... JAG WILL DIE!!!!!

So certain, are you? o_O

The final post will be up later next week. Thanks everyone [:D]

4. Sola_Halcyon

Sola_Halcyon Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2004
    Jedi_Eruanne: Um, btw, was that the end....*realizes it is* AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! THere is a sequel, right?????????

There's one more post, I think. [EDIT] Ah, yes, two minutes make all the difference. See directly above.

Chimpo: *puts thermal detonator in Yodas-evil-twin a$$* Now Jump!!!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

YodaKenobi: Still not caught up, but getting there. This is more about the first three books, but I wanted to mention that what you did with Anakin was almost exactly what I thought they were going to do with him after SbS. Then I heard that the powers-that-be wanted him killed...still don't know if the reason that came with that story (they were afraid fans would get Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker confused since SbS and EpII roughly coincided) was true. But I like your result much better.

-Sola

5. TahiriSoloFan

TahiriSoloFan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2003
    You know what'd be even better than Jag being dead? Jaina disgracing his memory by falling in love with Wrev.

Whitey ! [face_shame_on_you] You :oops: , you naughty thing, you! :p

6. Jedi_Eruanne

Jun 17, 2005
    Oh good, well maybe then we can actually see if Jag's dead or not....whew.

A 4 fic series, actually
    YES!!!!!

Is that what it is?
    Yes, nothing more, RIGHT?!

Sometime next week. Will be the absolute last post!

Thanks for reading

Was my pleasure, kind sir. ;)

One of those is dead wrong.
    Umm, which one? Okay, so if Jag dies, then will probably fall in love with Jaina, so those would both be wrong. So JAG LIVES!!!! Unless of course, YK is lying through his teeth. [face_laugh]

7. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    That would be pretty great Nice idea, Whitey, we'll see how it plays out

Heheheheheheheee... [face_mischief]

So certain, are you?

I have become more certain than any fanboy. :p

Whitey ! [face_shame_on_you] You :oops: , you naughty thing, you!

*prepares Jag's coffin* :p

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Arrgghhh, still don't know what Parck is hiding, arrggghhh!!??? *starts a Force storm*

That's probably the most interesting of the posts for this story so far, actually.

Goeresh has his own mysteries, too. I wonder if his masters also have their own mysteris (come to think of it, who doesn't?)

I must admit that I was a bit surprised by Goeresh surviving though (I actually expected him to meet the same fate as his predecessor from SQ did)

9. Jaina-S-Fel

Jaina-S-Fel Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2005
    Jaina-S-Fel: You're killing, you're really killing me!!! Why don't you just stick a lightsaber in my back!

YodaKenobi: Because I prefer the chest

Well I think I know why--you want to see the horror on my face when you do it!

So, you told me to stop bowing down to your greatness and then you keep up with this amazing writing and I have to start bowing all over again! I think this is a new aerobic workout!

Although I respect your right as the author to decide what happens I have one little request---DON'T LET JAG DIE!!!! PLEASE!!!!![face_praying]

You don't have to have a last post--You could just keep the story going and going and . . .

And if you follow the suggestion and have Jaina fall in love with Wrev--I can already feel myself getting sick at the thought [face_sick]

This is such a good story I could just :* you! hahaha

10. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    *Waits for next update*

11. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Sola_Halcyon: Still not caught up, but getting there. This is more about the first three books, but I wanted to mention that what you did with Anakin was almost exactly what I thought they were going to do with him after SbS. Then I heard that the powers-that-be wanted him killed...still don't know if the reason that came with that story (they were afraid fans would get Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker confused since SbS and EpII roughly coincided) was true. But I like your result much better.

Bringing Anakin back was the motivation for the whole thing, so I'm glad you're enjoying it. I don't understand why they killed off Anakin either :( I really hope that's not the reason for it. The only person who seems unable to tell Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker apart is Troy Denning [face_plain]

TSF: Whitey ! You , you naughty thing, you!

I like his idea :p

Eruanne: Oh good, well maybe then we can actually see if Jag's dead or not....whew.

Yeah, I'll probably answer that question ;)

YES!!!!!

[face_dancing]

Yes, nothing more, RIGHT?!

[face_whistling]

Umm, which one? Okay, so if Jag dies, then will probably fall in love with Jaina, so those would both be wrong. So JAG LIVES!!!! Unless of course, YK is lying through his teeth.

No, I stand by what I said. One of them is wrong [face_mischief]

Whitey: I have become more certain than any fanboy.

Is it possible to learn that power?

*prepares Jag's coffin*

A dead Jagged Fel... that will be a very stiff body :p

Pel: Arrgghhh, still don't know what Parck is hiding, arrggghhh!!??? *starts a Force storm*

And you probably won't know for months and months.

That's probably the most interesting of the posts for this story so far, actually.

Goeresh has his own mysteries, too. I wonder if his masters also have their own mysteris (come to think of it, who doesn't?)

They certainly do [face_mischief] will make more sense with the next fic.

I must admit that I was a bit surprised by Goeresh surviving though (I actually expected him to meet the same fate as his predecessor from SQ did)

Yeah, I figured that would be a surprise. Goresh isn't a major villain really (I mean, he's a Vagaari. How scary are they? :p) but he still has a significant part to play in the future.

Jaina-S-Fel: Well I think I know why--you want to see the horror on my face when you do it!

Hehehe [face_devil]

So, you told me to stop bowing down to your greatness and then you keep up with this amazing writing and I have to start bowing all over again! I think this is a new aerobic workout!

Maybe I should advertise in the title that reading this is good exercise then? 8-}

Although I respect your right as the author to decide what happens I have one little request---DON'T LET JAG DIE!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Thanks, and we'll see ;)

You don't have to have a last post--You could just keep the story going and going and . . .

But the story is complete. A new one will start soon from the same story line and we'll see Jaina and Wrev and a whole bunch of other characters (a real epic again, not like this fic!).

And if you follow the suggestion and have Jaina fall in love with Wrev--I can already feel myself getting sick at the thought

Really? Not warming up to him at all huh? [face_thinking]

This is such a good story I could just you! hahaha

Well, that's very nice of you [face_blush] Thanks for reading :)

evil-twin: *Waits for next update*

:eek:

Why did you edit out all of your comments from before, I wanted to discuss it? Constructive criticism is welcome here, young man! You had some good points :D

12. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    In that case.... What I'm basically saying, is that it was a major disappointment when after everyone else had dead on characterizations, I found something that seemed to be extremly out of character. Nas Choka in the books struck me as a person of restrained violence. He never seemed to let anger and vengence blind him, always opting for conservative tactics. In "The Final Prophecy", he mentions that his predecessors tactics left them in the situation that they now find themselves in. And yet you have turned him into a Tsavong Lah clone. Took the quick and easy path, you did YodaKenobi[face_shame_on_you]. In fact you will probably notice little difference if you replace "Nas Choka" with "Tsavong Lah". Plus, it should not have been an extremly difficult fight for Luke. Kyp and Kyle could've teamed up and wiped the floor with him. Choka was better at strategy then physical combat, where as Lah seemed to be 51/49 favoring brute force tactics where he would obliterate his opponent using overwhelming numbers, along with more emphasis on physical combat. If you had Lah in this fic instead of Choka, then I would've accepted the characterization. But this is not Lah, it is someone who in some ways is the opposite of Lah.

While this issue is at times just barely visible in this fic, it was not for an an entire characterization.

13. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    You must have been extremely lucky in your reading ways, then. Overstate much?

I found Nas Chokas characterization just fine... he is a Yuuzhan Vong warrior after all.

Magnus

14. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    A little bit.

But lucky is hardly the word I would use. I've read fic's that make "The Glove of Darth Vader" novels look like pulitzer prize winners.

15. Jedi_Eruanne

Jun 17, 2005
    One wonders why you would even bother? Although, I just read 'The Last Of The Mohicans', and wish I had spent my time doing something else. That book is HORRIBLE!!!!!! Oh well, back on subject.....UP!!!

16. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    Medic!!

(Sometimes they present what seems like a good idea, then the author goes and turns it into a pile of road kill.)

17. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Uh, and you then call YKs writing of Nas Choka "the worst bit of characterization I ever had the displeasure of laying my eyes upon"? I must question your judgement, I fear.

Magnus

18. Jedi_Eruanne

Jun 17, 2005
    *kicks up* Stay where you belong!!

19. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    evil-twin: In that case.... What I'm basically saying, is that it was a major disappointment when after everyone else had dead on characterizations, I found something that seemed to be extremly out of character. Nas Choka in the books struck me as a person of restrained violence. He never seemed to let anger and vengence blind him, always opting for conservative tactics. In "The Final Prophecy", he mentions that his predecessors tactics left them in the situation that they now find themselves in.

Okay, here is where I think the misunderstanding is: "The Final Prophecy" and "The Unifying Force" are not part of my storyline. I was working on the 8th cortex before they were even released and had a characterization for Nas Choka that I wasn't going to change because of canon books. My characterization is based on what we see of him in the AoC books, and I don't see any contradictions, let me know if you do.

You're right, in the last two NJO books Nas Choka suddenly became "peace-loving" and began to question Shimrra. But I already had that role filled with someone from domain "Saa" and it seemed very anti-climactic to have the YV warmaster, who is supposed to be the most fanatical in order to gain that post, suddenly turn on the person he believes is the conduit to the gods.

I also needed another villain, having Nas Choka work against Shimrra would have taken a lot of the suspense out of the story (I didn't like it in TUF either).

And yet you have turned him into a Tsavong Lah clone. Took the quick and easy path, you did YodaKenobi . In fact you will probably notice little difference if you replace "Nas Choka" with "Tsavong Lah".

I completely agree here, and that's what I meant about my YV characterizations being "flat." Nas Choka, Malik Carr, and most other warriors are the same character. The same is true of the other castes, I'm afraid. Though, this is also true in the NJO :p There's probably an argument for this, that they are fanatics and thus give up individuality through indoctrination, but I would probably make more of an effort to make them singular in a rewrite.

Plus, it should not have been an extremly difficult fight for Luke. Kyp and Kyle could've teamed up and wiped the floor with him.

Where would the suspense be if Luke easily defeated him?

Choka was better at strategy then physical combat,

Where are you getting that from?

where as Lah seemed to be 51/49 favoring brute force tactics where he would obliterate his opponent using overwhelming numbers, along with more emphasis on physical combat. If you had Lah in this fic instead of Choka, then I would've accepted the characterization. But this is not Lah, it is someone who in some ways is the opposite of Lah.

He's only the opposite of Lah in TFP and TUF, not in this storyline. Nas Choka is the warmaster, i.e., the greatest warrior in the caste. He even has a special weapon that takes incredible skill to wield.

There is also no mathmatic formula for a fight. Just because Luke is a better fighter than Nas Choka, doesn't mean that Choka couldn't kill him. It's all situational, any fighter can lose on any given day. There were thousands of warriors all around them leaving our heroes with more concerns than just killing Choka.

I liked the idea of making him very strong, and I loved it when he wiped the floor with Wrev, beat Alema, almost killed Valyn, fended off Kyp (while he was trying to save Valyn), and even killed Waxern Kel. This is going on simultaniously with Corran's death so the audience knows I'm serious about killing characters, hopefully making the Choka fight more suspensful.

While this issue is at times just barely visible in this fic, it was not for an an entire characterization.

Not quite sure what you mean by that, but I appreciate your post :) You made some good points and I agree with you in part, though I think you're misunderstood things by incorporating TFP and TUF.

Mags: I found Nas Chokas characterization jus

20. Yodas-evil-twin

Jun 3, 2005
    Ah and no school either. I have Rita to thank for that.

21. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I know I've been extremely absent from the boards of late, but I wanted you to know I'm still reading and still enjoying. Again sorry for being so tardy lately.

JD.

22. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    evil-twin: Ah and no school either. I have Rita to thank for that.

Hope everything is alright in your neck of the woods then :)

JDH3: I know I've been extremely absent from the boards of late, but I wanted you to know I'm still reading and still enjoying. Again sorry for being so tardy lately.

No worries :) Looking forward to seeing TSI completed though ;) :D

Final post in a bit and then this sucker is done ;)

23. jagsredlady

jagsredlady Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    *waits for final post*

Yep, been here all along. :D

24. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003
    Thanks Red :) [:D]

25. YodaKenobi

May 27, 2003