main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire or Rebellion?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by CodenameShamrock, Jul 18, 2015.

?

Who's side should I be on?

1. The Rebellion

61.8%
  2. The Empire

38.2%
  1. CodenameShamrock

CodenameShamrock Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2015
    I'm having trouble picking a side. I know it sounds weird but I want to pick a side and can't decide.

Here's what I thin of both sides:

Empire
    -------------------------------
    ~I love Darth Vader and I don't see him as a villain. I see him as more of a misunderstood antihero(because of the events of the prequel trilogy).
    ~The stormtroopers, while not the most accurate, are a solid fighting force with tons of awesome equipment.
    ~The TIE Fighter is awesome. I love the sound it makes when it flies.

Rebellion
    --------------------------------
    ~The Rebels win in the movies. It seems weird to watch them and support the Empire.
    ~SW: Rebels is awesome.
    ~They have Jedi, smugglers, wookies, etc.

So who's side should I take? Please elaborate on your answer.

chagrian_scavenger likes this.
  2. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    The Empire is cooler.

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, the Empire is "cooler" if by cooler you mean that they slaughter billions of innocent people on a whim. Even Vader eventually realized he had chosen the wrong side back when he joined the empire.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  4. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I would side with the Rebellion.
    The Empire blew up Alderaan, killed almost all 10,000 Jedi, kills citizens when it's convenient (like with Owen and Beru), and sends people to the spice mines whenever they step out of line, which is basically a death sentence. No government should be able to walk over its citizens like that. Plus the fact that it's ruled by two Sith Lords is not a good sign.

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It depends.

If I were in it only for the shiny equipment, Empire.

If I didn't want to live under the boots of evil, corrupted Grand Moffs and, of course, Vader and the Emperor, the Rebellion.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Rebellion resorted to suicide bombing A-Wing pilots to win out. You can't side with terrorists.

Darth Formidious and Darkslayer like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the middle of a spectacular naval battle, crashing your badly damaged ship into the nearest enemy one is well within most rules of engagement.

Now, if the Rebels were training up entire squadrons of "kamikaze pilots" and using them as basically manned guided missiles - that might be a bit more questionable.

8. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    Funny, I don't seem to recall the Rebellion destroying an entire planet just to prove a point. Plus, it was just one dude and his ship was very badly damaged to the point he was screwed anyway. May as well crash it into an enemy ship in a "Taking You With Me" attempt. He just happened to take an entire Star Destroyer with him.

9. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    The Empire destroyed an entire planet, committing genocide against millions or billions of people, just to make "an effective demonstration".

Not to mention, that planet suffered just because 1 senator was affiliated with the Rebels. To make an analogy, this would be as if the USA decided to destroy New York state with nuclear strikes just because 1 senator was affiliated with some rebels or terrorists. Another analogy would be if the UN decided to nuke one of its countries because it had a senator was associated with terrorists.

I don't know how one could still continue to serve the Empire after that. Presmuably, they must have exceptional propaganda campaigns. If I were a stormtrooper on the DS when Alderaan was annihilated, I would have tried to leave the DS as soon as possible to fight with the Rebellion, to protect other planets from the same fate.

Sarge, DARTHLINK and Iron_lord like this.
  10. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    According to a novelization, the guy who pressed the button that fired the laser was so sickened, so appalled by what he did that the “stand by...stand by....” was actually him trying to delay the inevitable for as long as possible before he was forced to fire the laser, or someone else did it for him.

Iron_lord and enigmaticjedi like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be the Death Star novel - which retells the story of ANH from the point of view of Vader, Tarkin, and various minor characters aboard the Death Star, including the aforesaid gunner.

12. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Who's side would I be on? Rebels. But I do like the organization of the Empire and all of their high class ships and the Death Star.

13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    The Rebellion resorted to suicide bombing A-Wing pilots to win out. You can't side with terrorists.
    --------

I commend you for being able to think objectively, well done :)

Also Proverbs 17:11 ;)

GregMcP and Sarge like this.
  14. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Question, are we considering Rebels canon for this argument?

15. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    No thought for the tens of thousands Death Star employees murdered by the visious Rebel Terrorist attacks. Cleaners, cooks, ordinary recruit Stormtroopers protecting the Galaxy. Think of our Troops! Good men who just wanted to get back to their families.

Murdered by Rebels.

danmcken and Admiral Volshe like this.
  16. Isaiah9823

Isaiah9823 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2015
    I really like the Rebellion and what they stand for. However, the Empire possesses some freaking awesome stuff! Either side you pick, you just can't go wrong! If I had to pick a side though, probably Rebellion!

Long live the Rebellion!!

17. CodenameShamrock

CodenameShamrock Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2015
    If you want.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  18. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Millions, IIRC. Not just tens of thousands. Plus the 43,000+ that were supposedly on the Executor.
    We can blame it on Tarkin, we can say "they asked for it" or we can look at it realistically.... Nobody was really innocent in anything, unfortunately. They'd probably have destroyed the Death Star even if Alderaan wasn't blown up. (Pure speculation, but I have a feeling the Rebellion wouldn't allow the Empire to have any superweapon. They weren't going to use the plans as a holo decoration).

Can I ask why the Rebels felt the need to vandalize, sabotage, steal, break and enter, use horrific weapons on Imperials (weapons they themselves said were twisted), spy, steal sensitive information, blow up Imperials for no reason, etc etc? There's a lot more to list. I haven't read any of the NuEU yet - but before Alderaan and after Order 66, is there anything that really permits them to do those things?

And is slavery/xenophobia still canon in the new novels? (I'd like to know, beyond "they have all humans, so it must be"). Of course there were some isolated comments in the movies that hinted at xenophobia. But is it explicitly stated in any novel "slavery was prominent and encouraged" or "aliens were persecuted often by the Empire", or similar.

I'll comment further after I get those questions answered...it may change my perspective a bit.

Pensivia and GregMcP like this.
  19. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    And do you think killing the Emperor brought piece to the Galaxy? All it brought was chaos and civil warfare.
    Thirty years later, and the Galaxy is still divided with little fanatical factions creating Death and Misery.

The Empire kept everyone in order. We all knew our place in society. We all did what we ought to. We may have seemed harsh, but it was all FOR YOUR OWN GOOD.

And now look at the mess we are in.

Jedi Knight Fett and Hyrum_Solo like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Lords of the Sith (newcanon novel) makes it pretty clear that the Twi'leks of Ryloth are second-class citizens, and even enslaved.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    Can we all just agree that war is hell, even if it's the Rebels vs. the Empire? I'm sure there were atrocities committed by both sides (though Tarkin's takes the cake), and there were innocent people on both sides as well as complete monsters.

Though I'm still siding with the Rebellion. But war?

War...War never changes.

Yanksfan, Admiral Volshe and Sarge like this.
  22. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    The Empire brought peace and stability to the galaxy all the rebels did was bring death and destruction upon the population.This propaganda that the the Empire were responsible for the destruction of Alderaan(a terroist breeding ground) makes me laugh,it was Princess Leia that caused the destrution of her home planet she was in possesion of stolen data that put every citizen of the galaxy in danger. She was giving every chance to return it but refused choosing to have millions killed instead. The lives that could have been saved if those torrorists had just layed down their weapons is incountable.

23. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

But are they enslaved by the Empire, or does the Empire just not stop the slavery? I looked at the canon articles on the Wook and couldn't find anything as a reference to LotS that would indicate the Empire enslaved them.
    The only mention of slavery I can find is from a comic book, and even then it seems to be poor working environment for the most part... but I don't consider comics canon pretty much ever.

Second-class citizens I am not as concerned about. That sort of thing was happening no matter what, so blaming the Empire for that would be a little harsh.

Pensivia likes this.
  24. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    Do I have to choose?? It's kinda like choosing which child I love most at this point in time.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Neither is morally superior to the other they both use most of the same tactics anyhow. As to a supposed 'good guy' doing similar to Alderaan, Kyp and Sun Crusher or Jedi serilising whole planets...BOTH are tremendously wrong. I don't need justifications, thanks.