main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire or Rebellion?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by CodenameShamrock, Jul 18, 2015.

?

Who's side should I be on?

1. The Rebellion

61.8%
  2. The Empire

38.2%
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lords_of_the_Sith

On Ryloth, a planet crucial to the growing Empire as a source of slave labor and the narcotic known as "spice," an aggressive resistance movement has arisen, led by Cham Syndulla, an idealistic freedom fighter, and Isval, a vengeful former slave.

The fist chapters of the book also mention the Octagon - an Imperial command centre built by Twi'lek forced labor.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Did the Twi'leks revolt before and then become prisoners of war?
    Enslavement of alien races also seems to be an exception to the rule. For example, in the old EU, the beginning of Piets career was hunting pirates and slavers.

And having an all human military isn't anti-alien either.
    Humans are recognized as being the most populated race in the SWU. It would be a lot easier to only produce stormtrooper uniforms for one race. Logistics get a lot easier if you only have to supply for one race.

Which side would I side with? I'd have to side with the Empire for standing for peace and order. And their cool weapons.[face_beatup]

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be my next question.

It sounds like they were uprising...wouldn't be surprised if they had done something in the past. If that something was trying to kill the Emperor (like the synopsis says), then...well...can't say I blame Palpatine.
    It doesn't make it right, but since the Empire has no other mentions of it.

I agree with neither side fully. I don't agree with the Rebellion, it reminds me far too much of the Republic. I disagree with a lot of the action they took, as well.

Then of course the Empire has the big three of evil who are in charge. Vader may be an exception to that, but with Palpatine and Tarkin - they don't have a huge chance for being called a force for good. I don't support them. However, I wholeheartedly support the millions of men, women (and any other galactic citizens) who are not evil and are trying to stand for a better galaxy.

I guess I support the soldiers, not their supreme commanders. Since they are the majority of the Empire, well, I guess that means I support the Empire.

Darth Basin and Pensivia like this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You're getting slow in your old age, Cushy. I expected this post from you at least a week ago. [face_not_talking]

Yanksfan likes this.
  5. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Admiral Volshe
    I'm surprised you didn't correct me on the spelling of Piett's name. :oops:

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  6. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012

I noticed lol, but I don't like to make people feel silly with their spelling errors. :)
    My autocorrect still doesn't get he's Piett, not Piety. :p

Darth Basin and Pensivia like this.
  7. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Well he did act piety around Vader. :p

Darth Basin likes this.
  8. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Yeah, blowing up Alderaan, stabbing thousands of Jedi in the back, and sending people to their deaths in the spice mines is totally bringing peace and stability to the Galaxy. Not.

And I don't see how Leia was responsible for the destruction of Alderaan. It's not like she wanted it to happen. In fact, she was shocked when Tarkin gave the order to blow up her beloved home planet.

9. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    empire,any day of the weekxD

Darth Basin likes this.
  10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Rebellion:

Great people, greater space ships, greater good. Give me an R2 unit and an X-Wing any day of the year please. I'd gladly be on the front lines against the Empire.

War is an awful thing, but without those fighting to restore peaceful rule through democracy, the galaxy would remain under the yoke of darkness and dictatorship.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    How the **** does anyone not see the Empire or Vader as evil?

Here look. It's a GFFA. They have advanced technology. Help the rebels win then you can go virtual reality all you want and play a villain or something. You know, kill off billions and billions of innocents then claim "peace".

12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    but you're confusing Democracy means peace/good and that dictatorship definitely means bad. Neither of these assumptions is correct.

13. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    VLM, I direct you to my post :p

Because democracy can never be corrupt or dark or evil, and dictatorships always have to be evil. :p

If the universe were a textbook, I might agree with you. But it's not.

Pensivia likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Democracies can be corrupt.

However...one person who has the power to tell everyone else what to do, and make laws according to his or her personal whims? Nothing good about that.

And the only person responsible for Alderaan is the person who gave the order "You may fire when ready."

15. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing good about that if the person is evil. (Which they tend to be). I actually think (in theory) it could be alright.

16. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    [​IMG]

that goes for Xenophobia as well.

17. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Anakinfan: I for one am looking forward to the next life when there is only one person in control (God) and to take it further when Christ is ruling Earth for over a 1000 years

(don't know whether that would be considered dictatorship or not...interesting question)

but anyway to get back on topic, I'll go with Empire :p

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    At those who commented about my comment:

Not talking about real life, just Star Wars. Big difference. :p

Rebellion all the way!

19. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    Not talking about real life, just Star Wars. Big difference. :p
    --------

fair enough :p

I was going to say lets make this thread a poll, looked up to see that it already was :oops: :p

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

Yeah, I would consider that a dictatorship and would be upset if I believed it were real.

So yeah...Rebellion all the way.

21. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    They need to make a video game alternate ending in the next game about the Battle of Endor where the attack on the shield generator fails, Luke kills Vader and turns to the dark side, and the Rebel fleet is destroyed in a grand show of force by the Emperor. Leia escapes off world and the Galactic Civil War continues. She now has to kill her own brother and try to restore the Jedi order herself. The spirits of Obi-Wan and Yoda train her in the ways of the Force.

This could be an alternate ST.

Darth Basin and Admiral Volshe like this.
  22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave! - Torquemada.
    Gods and Rebels have no place in a neat efficient society.
    If we have to blow up a planet to make you understand this, then so be it. Sometimes you have to be Taught.
    Behave. The Emperor knows best.

Darth Basin likes this.
  23. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not talking religion at all here, so ignoring that concept.

I just want to know, if a dictatorship was ruled by a benevolent leader who matched interests completely with you, would you still not want to live in a dictatorship?
    If a democracy had a majority vote that disagreed with you and did not have your best interests at heart, would you still want to live in that democracy?

I'm seriously wondering, because there seems to be some huge dictatorship = teh evilz! thing going on here, which I don't understand.

I did not need more to write. Sigh :p

24. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    AV: because Dictatorship has been seen as bad since the 40's

Benevolent dictatorships aren't reported on in the real world.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While some monarchs have been basically "hereditary dictators" and occasionally depicted as somewhat benevolent - it's rare for the non-monarch dictator to be portrayed sympathetically, for a wide range of reasons.

Since long before then, I think. Oliver Cromwell tended to be portrayed as a villain ever since his regime was replaced with a restored monarchy. Maximillian Robspierre was another semi-dictatorial, and very hated, ruler.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.