main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire or Rebellion?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by CodenameShamrock, Jul 18, 2015.

?

Who's side should I be on?

1. The Rebellion

61.8%
  2. The Empire

38.2%
  1. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    They probably don't happen that very often, and whose to say their successors are going to be just as benevolent as they were? That's why democracy's better because if anything else, the guy you hate won't be in office for life.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

There's a reason that statement is so well known.

3. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Oliver Cromwell tended to be portrayed as a villain ever since his regime was replaced with a restored monarchy. Maximillian Robspierre was another semi-dictatorial, and very hated, ruler.
    ---------------

I've never really seen Cromwell portrayed as a Villain. The main reason the monarchy was restored is because his son Richard wasn't up to the job which caused too much in fighting in Parliament.

Link: noted, but that's not to say that there is no dictatorships out there that don't co-exist peacefully with his/her subjects. It's really Despotism that is bad.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Mostly to do with his actions in Ireland - though his dissolving of Parliament and ruling as a despot was also a factor.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    oh yes, the Ireland thing, kind of forgot about that. Eeeek.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

True, but you can't say that about a democracy either. You can hope the same kind of person wouldn't be elected, but it wouldn't be a guarantee. If the majority wins - it wins.
    I'd prefer a pretty good person in charge for life versus a string of terrible elected leaders.

I am giving scenarios where it wouldn't be all bad because I kind of get tired of the "any _____ is evil" parade. Certain things we are inclined to see as evil (mostly due to history), but when you put it into other perspectives...it changes things.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A benevolent dictatorship can turn non-benevolent very, very quickly.

Not a fan of having every aspect of my life depend upon blowing sunshine up one person's ass, no matter how nice that person might seem.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Eh, it could. But there are a lot of things in life that could turn bad. I'm just saying that there are situations that could be better and lot of situations that could be worse.

9. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    Kinda ironic that Palps was elected into dictatorship. :p

The worst of both worlds, democracy and dictatorship/monarchy.

A group of women stood up and said, "We will not be dictated to!" So they went out and became stenographers.
    -G.K. Chesterton

Ok, that last part didn't have anything to do with it but it was funny. It was also a paraphrase.

jakobitis89 and Sarge like this.
  10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The Empire has the cool toys, but in the end it's the Rebel Alliance that is superior morally.

Lt. Hija, themoth and Sarge like this.
  11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I voted for the Rebels this time. The Empire might have cooler looking weapons, armor and vehicles but the rebels you truly root for. Mainly due for the fact they truly want peace and freedom in the galaxy with no malicious intents.

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  12. Filar-Nitzan

Filar-Nitzan Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2016
    Knowing my unfortunate talent for insulting people I would probably end up on the run from both the Empire and the Rebellion. Or I might end up being a double agent who for the most part sides with the rebellion but is ultimately only loyal to a handful of people.

13. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Neither. People are always dying. I'll be over in the Corporate Sector making my fortune!

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Rebellion. The freedom achieved by the Rebellion might not be perfect, but it's far better than the oppression of the Empire.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  15. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I chose the Bounty Hunter and work for Jabba. Decent pay check at the end of the week.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  16. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Declaration of The Galactic Empire:
    Citizens of the civilized galaxy, on this day we mark a transition. For a thousand years, the Republic stood as the crowning achievement of civilized beings. But there were those who would set us against one another, and we took arms to defend of way of life against the Sepratists. In doing so, we never suspected that the greatest threat came from within.

The Jedi, and some within our own Senate, had conspired to create the shadow of Separatism using one of their own as the enemy's leader. They had hoped to grind the Republic into ruin. But the hatred in their hearts could not be hidden forever. As last, there came a day when our enemies showed their true natures.

The Jedi hoped to unleash their destructive power against the Republic by assassinating the head of government and usuring control of the clone army. But the aims of the would-be tyrants were valiantly opposed by those without elitist, dangerous powers. Our loyal clone troopers contained the insurrection within the Jedi Temple and quelled uprisings on a thousand worlds.

The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated. Any collaborators will suffer the same fate. These have been trying times, but we have passed the test.

The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger. The war is over. The Sepratists have been defeated, and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled. We stand on the threshold of a new beginning.

In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for 10,000 years. An Empire that will be continue to be ruled by this august body and a sovereign ruler chosen for life. An Empire ruled by the majority, ruled by a new consitution.

By bringing the entire galaxy under one law, one language, and the enlightened guidance of one individual, the corruption that plagued the Republic in its later years will never take root. Regional governors will eliminate the bureaucracy that allowed the Separatist movement to grow unchecked. A strong and growing military will ensure the rule of law.

Under the Empire's New Order, our most cherished beliefs will be safeguarded. We will defend our ideals by force of arms. We will give no ground to our enemies and we will stand together against attacks from with or without. Let the enemies of the Empire take heed: Those who challenge Imperial resolve will be crushed.

We have taken on a task that will be difficult, but the people of the Empire are ready for the challenge. Because of our efforts, the galaxy has traded war for peace and anarchy for stability. Billions of beings now look forward to a secure future. The Empire will grow as more planets feel the call, from the Rim to the wilds of unknown space.

Imperial citizens must do their part. Join our grand star fleet. Become the eyes of the Empire by reportingsuspected insurrectionists. Travel to the corners of the galaxy to spread the principles of the New Order to barbarians. Build monuments and technical wonders that will speak of our glory for generations to come.

The clone troopers, and proudly wearing the name of Imperial stormtroopers, have tackled the dangerous work of fighting our enemies on the front lines. Many have died in their devotion to the Empire. Imperial citizens would do well to remember their example. The New Order of peace has triumphed over the shadowy secrecy of shamful magicians. The direction of our course is clear. I will lead the Empire to glories beyond imagination.

We have been tested, but we have emerged stronger. We moved forward as one people - the Imperial citizens of the first Galactic Empire. We will prevail. Ten thousand years of peace begins today.

How can you support anything other than The Empire after reading that!

Darth Basin and Snokers like this.
  17. Snokers

Snokers Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2015
    Long live The Empire!

:deathstar:

Darth Formidious likes this.
  18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    This for me.

It's fun to be bad though. :cool:

19. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Agreed. I like having the freedom to criticize whoever I please without fear of the government's secret police knocking down my door in the middle of the night to drag me off. :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The Rebellion.

Because they are democratic.

21. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Join the Darkside..........We have cookies!!!!!!!

Darth Basin likes this.
  22. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I have always watched the movies from the imperial side.

Darth Basin likes this.
  23. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    I like the Imperial ships, armor, mystique, tone and general design.

But I support the rebels in sentiment because I don't like fascist authoritarians.

24. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Kill a billion. Save a trillion.

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    That's the argument that Ciena made in Lost Stars. Great book! You really get a sense of many of the most important events in the Star Wars saga from the point of view of both the Rebellion and the Empire. For the record, I don't agree with the argument.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.