main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Empire & Rebellion #2: Honor Among Thieves

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 9, 2013.

1. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Oh excellent, this is now out on Kindle in Australia.

I'd intended to start reading this about a month ago but had to divert through Shadow Game and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader town.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Got my copy and...... What an insultingly slim volume. Paper feels thinner too and I dislike the Empire and Rebellion design aesthetic for the chapters, if this is the future of SW books I may well bail on the hardbacks!

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You're worried about the design aesthetic for the chapters when you've got the design aesthetic of that cover to look at?

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I can more easily overlook a bad cover that's out of sight the bulk of the time than poor production quality on the book itself. Though yeah, there's something off-kilter about that cover, just doesn't look right to the eye.

5. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I didn't like the cover to start with, but putting it on my shelf next to everything else really highlights how cheap the design looks.

Don't judge the book by the cover, though, because the story is a blast.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The comments here were the only reason to buy it! I've also tracked down a copy the Han Solo Adventures!

Kylun, AdmiralWesJanson and jasonfry like this.
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Good, good...

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

Well, Han Solo At Star's End is something of a surprise disappointment! Sad to say it doesn't grab me at all and I can't say I'm particularly inclined to give the other 2 stories a whirl. Part of the problem is the Corporate Authority is a quite dull villain, but the bigger problem? Han and Chewie don't work that well for me on their own and that's what they are here.

So, time to give Honour Among Thieves a whirl.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Han Solo Adventure's aren't my favorite either. I prefer the Lando Calrissian trilogy.
    Have fun with Honor Among Thieves Jedi Ben!

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think the Han Solo Adventures is amazing in a nostalgia-type way (ironically, they were literally almost the last SW books I ever read). They're not top-notch books, but they're fun, light, adventurous, etc. Han acts like Han in the movies, and Chewie acts like Chewie in the movies, and it's all an exciting adventure (I admit the third one is by far my favorite). As to the Lando Calrissian Trilogy...eh. Just eh. It was too Star Trek/Indiana Jones (ironic) and not enough Star Wars for me. Nothing that makes a classic Star Wars tale. It picked up in the third book but the first two were meh. Vuffi Raa was enjoyable, but the "Silly Rabbit" constellation and the Big Bird guy especially were just very over-the-top silly, and not in a good way IMO. It took me forever to slog through that trilogy, whereas I blazed through the HSA. But I still like the Han Solo Trilogy better.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I don't think that's strong enough.

[​IMG]

EDIT 2: No, wait. Still not strong enough.

[​IMG]

There we go.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You endured my dislike of NJO Hav, you will endure this!

This must be you:

[​IMG]

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I finished this last night. As a Han fan it was a fun read, and Han was very much in character. It was nice to have an idea of what was going on between ANH and ESB.

Scarlet was enjoyable. Nice to see another badass spy female character; those are always welcome. And thank you, thank you, thank you for not letting anything romantic happen there.

Showing how absolutely clean the Imperial Core was, was a nice touch. You know there's some serious dictatorial **** going on when things are so clean that nobody can breathe.

Hunter Maas was annoying in a laughable way, with the constant talking about himself in third person and thinking women want him with his pot belly hanging out. Duuuude, really?

I loved Baasan and his interactions with Han, both good and bad. I thought maybe there would be a connection to "the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell."

His death was really sad.

Leia: "always the diplomat." That side of her at its finest. The only part I thought was out of character was the scene when they found the weapon and Leia wanted to use it for the Alliance, and Han had to point out that she did not want to become what she hated. It seemed like a shoehorned "We need to show Leia pissed about Alderaan" scene and was just really off.

And all is well that ended well.

On to the X-Wing series now. Started chapter one, "Corran is a ****ty pilot," last night.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just remember- it's basically Top Gun: IN SPACE! And Corran is definitely Maverick.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hot. ****ing. Damn. =P~

I should have done this sooner.

Cynical_Ben, Kylun and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So that makes Bror.... Iceman !?

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Same here. Lando stories were a bit strange in places but I did like them more.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Corran...Horn

I am dangerous. :D

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I had too high of expectations for them (HSA) going in or something.

20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The Lando trilogy was just a scam that L. Neil Smith ran to get Del Rey to pay him to write his typical libertarian screed. See also: every other thing that L. Neil Smith has ever written.

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

But, but... it is fun :(

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, unlike the HAS, I finished this today. It was all-right but that's about all.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010

And now I'm really, really curious why Trudy wants to destroy Pete (because I can't imagine she's speaking to anyone else).

Scratch that. I'm not sure why it's taken her this long.

24. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    WATCH THE SHOW JEEZ YOU'RE SO SLOW.

25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    If this is the final entry in original EU, it's saved its... reasonably good for last. I started this back when it came out, put it down for a while, then for whatever reason didn't have the time or will to pick it back up. Now I'm wondering why because it's a fast read and I loved it quite a lot. Not a bad way to end the Legends.

For what it's worth, I think Star's End is the weakest of the three, personally. Though if Han and Chewie is your issue, it'll be hard to overcome that. Have you read Crispin's trilogy?

That didn't end up bothering me for a couple of reasons. One because it seems that it's rare that we've seen her dealing with Alderaan. I mean, occasionally she'll run into some person or aspect of the planet and she deals with that case, but I don't recall her addressing the event itself all that often. It was one of the reasons I had high hopes when Woods' Star Wars kicked off, before that went off the rails. Because of that, I didn't feel like I even knew how she would react.
    This is a unique situation, too. This device, if controlled, is close to ultimate power in an FTL-dependent galactic society. Leia quite rightly states that by using it she can end the war and render the Empire powerless. That's a situation we've never seen her in, particularly in this era. With such a choice before her, it's not out of the realm of possibility in my mind that she could want to use it, considering its immediate use rather than down the road where it can be abused.
    I would have liked to see them give her an "I wasn't thinking" moment later, perhaps without admitting that Han was right. Back on the fleet, where she wasn't being shot at and had a clearer head, they could have had her reflect on it and realize that destroying it was for the best, but instead they keep the mini conflict with Han going. I think that's a missed opportunity.
    But it's like... seven seasons now. That's so much.