main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Empire & Rebellion #2: Honor Among Thieves

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 9, 2013.

1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I like stories that have Han as the central character. You know that when he takes the center stage, chaos usually abounds. And while I liked Scoundrels, I didn't take to it like I did with all of Zahn's other works.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Look out! It's Zombie Han and the Attack of the TESB Promotional Images!

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh he's a zombie? And here I thought he was in a Kubrick film. [face_relieved]

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I am disappointed people, no Uncharted 2 jokes or photoshops yet? :p

5. Pax Bandica

Pax Bandica Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2013
    No more Empire and Rebellion?

Sent from my Secure-A3 comlink

6. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Nope. She's completely modeled over LL

krtmd likes this.
  7. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    He looks haggard and dead-eyed, with his arms hanging loose, shoulders slumped, and head hanging forward. It's a really weird pose for a book cover. Add in the cardboard cutouts of Luke and Leia lurking behind the film still of Chewie, and it adds up to another Photoshop abomination cover. Better than the ultra-cheap-looking Razor's Edge, but Jesus, would it kill them to pay for actual art? Chris Trevas can't be that expensive if they're willing to pay him to do twenty pieces for an EG, or all the pieces they commission for Suvudu can't be breaking the bank. It can't be the price of real art -- it must be that they honestly think, "Gee, what people most want from their covers today, what will really sell this book, is incredibly lazy Photoshop collages!"

Valin__Kenobi and Gamiel like this.
  8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    CooperTFN likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    At least it is better than any of the LotF covers, but than again that is not hard

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Oh, that's definitely photoshop. Leia and Luke are both obvious TESB stock images. Chewie isn't as recognizable a shot but from the blowing hair I'm guessing it's a Hoth or Bespin still. Han is definitely a stock photo of Harrison Ford with some manipulation. It's not the ugliest lazy Photoshop cover ever, but it's definitely a bunch of stock photos, only one significantly manipulated, plonked down on a generic background with one probably more-involved manip for the OC. It's classic basic-Photoshop cover work.

Gamiel likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is how you do it
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That was unnecessary.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but cool.

newdawn12 likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not familiar with the Kubrick Stare, eh Hav?
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, I think it's a decent enough cover. About as good as any of the Bantam books that did the same thing. And a helluva lot better than the preliminary cover.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As someone who went to school for VFX, I feel like I should object to the reflexive conflation of "Photoshop" and "lazy". Not that lazy Photoshop isn't, well, a thing.

16. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Gamiel Should have just posted a bunch of the Japanese NJO covers. That is how you do it :D

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    It's a total thing. I don't mind good Photoshop -- something like the cover of Shatterpoint is passable, and the crazy NJO hardcover collages are kind of awesome in their wild distinctiveness. But we've got way too much lazy Photoshop going around. These Empire and Rebellion covers, Millennium Falcon, the FOTJ Photoshops -- they're all just taking some reference images, slapping them together, and maybe putting on a filter or changing an arm to point outward or swapping heads. It's incredibly lazy, and it never looks as good as actual art. And it's so limiting. "Oh, we can't put Saba on the cover, because we don't have Barabel photos." "Oh, Kenth Hamner doesn't look like he does in all the other pictures because Chris Trevas can actually draw but I'm stuck trying to find photos of Arby's managers to put a filter on." "Hey, if I were actually good at drawing, I could draw a great Jedi Master Luke that would be pretty photorealistic, but I'm stuck with lazy Photoshop, so you're getting Obi-Wan with Luke's disproportionate head stuck on top and his shoulder looks kind of weird because I had to tweak it but I don't know how to fix it to look natural again I guess that's good enough." Photoshop can be a tool in the right hands, but way too often it's a creativity-crippling, quality-diminishing way of enabling laziness.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I tried to like FOTJ's covers, I really did...but I just can't. They're really, really weird. At least with LOTF, they tried to have new characters on the front. With FOTJ, except for Ben and Vestara (and Gavar on that one) all the characters on the covers were easy photoshops of old stock photos of the main characters. Look at Scoundrels, or Riptide, or Dawn of the Jedi. That's how you do an (American, adult) novel cover.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Unfortunately, it seems like gone are the days of Paul Youll cover art.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Or is it all about speed? i.e. This cover is NEEDED and it's needed TOMORROW!

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Well if anyone ever wants to see what "good photoshop" can look like, one only need examine the work of Chris Scalf.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I actually prefer the YJK covers over the Japanese NJO covers

23. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I would have loved if that exclusive illustration from Razors Edge was actually the cover art, it was much better then the image of Leia they used.
    This one, although just altered images, is one of the better ones, I think, but still could be much better.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Best covers? Ahem.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I honestly HATED that Story. one of the worst in my opinion.