main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Empire & Rebellion #2: Honor Among Thieves

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 9, 2013.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i think it is worth hardcover, but kindle is better. i can read it on phone.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    We on the internet have a rule about that. Best keep it in mind.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ugh. I only accept the rule of divinely-ordained monarchs.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I saw it today in Wal-Mart and was depressed to realize that maybe for the first time in many years, there was no preview for the next novel in the back. Because we don't know what the next novel is. :(

my kind of scum likes this.
  5. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    100 pages in and I love it. Han is awesome in this.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Seconded. It's interesting to see the Rebellion from his perspective.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The interaction between Han, Leia and Luke at the start of the book was brilliant.
    Leia "Sorry for taking you away from flying, Luke"
    Luke "Its fine Leia"
    Han "I was in the middle of a sabacc game"
    Leia "Not sorry for that"
    Han "I was winning"
    Chewie "Growl"

Also liked that Han cared for Luke.

And then the escape from that planet with Scarlet Hark. I was dying of laughter during that whole scene.

That was fun! We need more of that. Darth Maul Lockdown was pretty good too in that regard.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a good short story as well, at the end, focusing on Hark.

JediMatteus likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Looking forward to that.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Mine finally came from Amazon US today so it will be next on my reading list.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah it really is a very good book. I have it just short of kenobi in ranking. I no i have criticised the Kenobi book, but it was always splitting hairs. Both are great books.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished the book today. Loved it! So many fun and funny parts. Everyone felt in character. Loved the relationship of the Big 3.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ok, sod it, it's payday and I can get this for £10.72 in hardback - so have ordered!

CooperTFN and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    I liked the first third of the book, which is basically Han and Chewie rescuing Scarlet from an Imperial world. Plenty of evocative description about the paranoia and terror of living under the Empire. For me, the plot and style of the first third is very similar to Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy.

The rest of the book is less memorable, although there is a melodramatic smuggler in the second part of the book who is pretty funny. The Imperial archaeological dig in the last section is a little similar to Jerec's mission in Jedi Knight.

The villain who is built up during the novel is dealt with fairly quickly at the end of the story and it all ends up quite abruptly. However, I thought this was a more exciting novel than Razor's Edge and it mirrors the structure of the OT films, with the acts on three different worlds.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I'm about halfway through and its okay. The thing that makes it tolerable is the fact that it is Han and Chewie. The thing that sux is Han seems more like a kid getting told to stay out of sight for most of the book. I really do not know if I am comfortable with the Nacho Libre crossover either, but we'll see how that pans out. I would like it if Han just blasts his ass no questions asked and then jacks his boots to pay off Jabba, but I doubt it ends that way. I really wish that the author which is two guys with one name?? would have just left the fat guy with a cape visual out of my head. But like I said, I'm not finished yet, but I doubt it can get better.

17. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Got this book on my Kindle today in advance of a weeklong vacation starting April 12. Will be one of just many books I consume that week. Can't wait.

18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah han is not the type to kill in cold blood

19. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008

Oh...you're one of those........

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm up to Chapter 11 and it's pretty good. It is a quick read though - I only started it yesterday.

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    what does that mean? Yes he can be a bit of an anti-hero at times, but he does have his honor

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think he means the whole Han shot first/Greedo shot first first.

23. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

yeah i do agree that Han shot first, but that is because he was protecting himself, his very llife and livelihood. That is not in cold blood.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Finished this earlier. I enjoyed it - plenty of action and humor and the main characters (Han, Leia, Luke) rang true.

25. Obie-2-Kenobi

Feb 18, 2008
    Yes YES!! This is what I mean exactly! And it doesn't get any more cold blooded than shooting someone under the table. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking Han, quite the opposite in fact as he is my favorite character. But I'm just saying, I do not think Han was honorable (at least when he was younger), and I am very much of the mind set that he shot first. This book could have been so much better if it had maintained that element of Han a little. Instead, I felt like this new chick Scarlet and Leia kind of sent Han out to be their errand boy and they kinda make him look like an idiot doing it. If you are going to center a book around a character, I would think you would make him look as kick ass as possible, but it doesn't.