Lit EMPIRE & REBELLION: RAZOR'S EDGE by Martha Wells: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

As bad as it sounds even the Prequels did it better.
  2. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4

Is that the dude with the giant 'stache? I guess I could go check the Wook, but I wanted to see if I remembered.

And... no. Though Rebellion apparently guessed wrong, too. What I remember about Willard was that the guy that dubbed him is one of the Wars/Trek actors.
  3. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    Well, not the feeling you're describing, not the "this is the next big novel thing". But rather that it's a plausible thing to be released as a regular SW novel. And I can't say how these novels I mentioned actually feel, as I said, I've real only few releases lately. But with these E&R books, I don't even feel this "oh, they're putting out some non-main Jedi adventure novel". But maybe it's the covers - The Last Jedi doesn't chart on my radar, either, although I could theoretically be tempted to read it since I've already read Coruscant Nights. These new covers really turn me off more than any 3-minute-Falcon-shop. Is it the colour/design of the logo? I truly can't say.
  4. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    i agree. i don't find myself looking forward to these either. maybe i will be surprised.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, for years I thought the same thing -- when I learned Rebellion got it wrong, I was saddened. Willard will always be mustachioed to me :(
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  6. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    *cough*
  7. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    Perhaps you ought to go get that cough checked out by a doctor.
    Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  8. ShanOffirin Force Ghost

star 2

Willard didn't have a moustache, that was Commander Bob Hudsol.
  9. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    So you're hinting at a continuity error regarding Doctor Evazan! Or maybe 2-1B? Interesting...
    Ordo N-11 likes this.
  10. Dr. Steve Brule Force Ghost

star 4
    Not really any errors from what I can tell, but that's also because there's basically not a whole lot of continuity to begin with. Definitely not with the EU (outside of one vague mention of a prior story) and very little with the movies, other than the obvious ANH mentions and this being set during Echo Base's construction 2 ABY.
  11. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    There is also the whole Han Solo and the Corperate Sector thing that keeps getting brought up, but yeah other then that, very little I could spot so far.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Yes, friend, that is where "Rebellion got it wrong" comes in. ;)
    CooperTFN likes this.
  13. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I'm with Jello--Rebellion ruined me.

On continuity--I'm very early in the book, but already I noticed that they're still called Red Squadron; that seems off but I'm not positive.
  14. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Rebellion - the comic or the game?
  15. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    themetresgained and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    She's got the wrong gun.

What?

Awkward.
  17. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Sep 9, 2013
  18. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    STAR WARS: EMPIRE AND REBELLION: RAZOR’S EDGE micro excerpt #2:

Terae said, “If Alderaan had kept to its principles of peace and neutrality, the Empire would not have attacked.”

And if the Empire had not been corrupt, venal, and determined to destroy any hint of resistance, the Empire would not have presented a threat to Alderaan’s peace in the first place, Leia thought. This was not an argument she wanted to have again, but she seemed perpetually doomed to repeat it. Her punishment for surviving, perhaps.

“Alderaan was too powerful, too influential. Sooner or later, the Empire would have found a reason to attack us, no matter how peaceful and neutral we claimed to be.”
  19. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Makes sense. I'm sure Bail's vacation on the Death Star in Force Unleashed I and Princess Leia's direct involvement with Vader's capture in Force Unleashed II had absolutely no influence on the Empire's decision-making process.
    Grey1 and Gorefiend like this.
  20. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 5
    Leia's involvement was super secret.
  21. JediMara77 Force Ghost

star 4

In her defense, she made her costume in 12 hours and didn't know she was going to Dragon Con until the week before. She had to borrow my gun, which is for my Mirax Terrik costume. Yes, Leia and Mirax share weapons. :p
    Last edited by JediMara77, Sep 10, 2013
    Revanfan1 and Gorefiend like this.
  22. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

In certain parts of the internet they also share husbands [face_batting]
  23. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Hey, I'm not being critical; I'm just observing. :p
  24. CodeName_Targeter Force Ghost

star 5

I'll just toss myself off the metaphorical bridge now because someone on the internet has criticized that I had to borrow a blaster for a costume at the last minute even though Del Rey and Martha Wells have both praised the costume. Oh no.

Back on topic, I really enjoy the book. Wells has a great handle on both Leia and Han's characters and it's the happiest I've been with Leia's portrayal in years. The main cast is also nice and diverse, as someone already noted. It's a solidly enjoyable read and I recommend it.
  25. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    I really should've put some kind of emote up, but it was a joke and I totally wasn't criticizing you. I really do like your costume.
    Ordo N-11 likes this.