Lit EMPIRE & REBELLION: RAZOR'S EDGE by Martha Wells: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac, Sep 6, 2013.

1. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    yeah book covers are a joke now. At leats the njo ones were fairly cool
  2. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    The diversity was in the other pirate crew which is not pictured here.
    krtmd likes this.
  3. krtmd Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Is it poor form to say I didn't care for the official TFN reviews? One mentioned "fangirls" and the other "Han and Leia shippers" in what I could only interpret as a negative way. And both are men...

I haven't finished the book, but I am enjoying it. I think Leia seems pretty much in character, which matters a lot to me. I hate when the characters are sacrificed to the plot gods.
  4. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    There are some really bad phrases in those reviews, I'm waiting for Horsey's!
  5. krtmd Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  6. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Thanks for the tip-off, definitely grabbing the paperback on the cheap when it comes out next year.
  7. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule Force Ghost

star 4
  9. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
  10. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Imperial Customs Corvette! :D
  11. DarthStymi Force Ghost

star 3
    I'm a pretty big audiobooker. Been using audible.com for a while now. There is an unabridged audiobook for this one; however, it is not available via audible.com. Anyone have any insight as to why? Every newly released unabridged Star Wars audiobook has been available on audible.com right away for years now. Wondering what happened with this one.
  12. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
  13. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    Ah, figures. The crew not worth a picture :p
  14. krtmd Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I finished it this morning. I enjoyed it, and again, I thought Martha Wells got Leia's voice right. Obviously, it's not world changing - and it really can't be, given the time period in which it's set. Unfortunately, that time period really works against Luke in particular, who isn't really used effectively in this novel. I thought Leia's feelings around the destruction of Alderaan and the piracy of the survivors she encounters rang true to both what I would expect from someone in her position, as well as the Leia who appears in the films.

I also enjoyed the very very short tease for the Han book, due up next. According to the timeline, it will actually fall earlier than Leia's book.
  15. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah - my thought too. They have tee shirts in GFFA now too? I have my cosplay outfit ready then :p

I thought so. And fear the same about the Han novel :( Considering Luke in Allegiance and CoO was really passive too I'm very glad we get the Hearne novel! Not that I have good experience of hoping too much of a SW book...o_O
    Last edited by kataja, Sep 25, 2013
    ChildOfWinds and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    Wonder when we will get word on the Luke novel.
  17. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    A note for those in the UK - Amazon UK has a 1-3 week delay on this. I ordered from Amazon US as it's in stock there. (Also ordered a 2014 SW wall calendar..)
  18. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I enjoyed this one too. I think Wells hit all the right notes for Leia: capturing both her dedication for the cause over self, her frustration with being treated as a symbol (ties in well with the Star Wood comics!), doing the Han/Leia stuff really well because she's good at getting into Leia's head in those early days and capturing the initial attraction as well as the frustration, and especially getting across that Leia knows what she's doing.

I'm kinda sad that this isn't a Leia-centric trilogy written by Wells, tbh.

edit: Also, heh -- I'll echo the thought that the full-cast art thing should've been the cover. It worked well for Scoundrels! Moreover, it would've been helpful in visualizing the characters (though Wells did pretty well describing everyone).
    Last edited by GrandAdmiralJello, Sep 26, 2013
    krtmd likes this.
  19. DarthStymi Force Ghost

star 3

Follow-up: in case any one cares, the unabridged audio was made available on audible.com yesterday, 9/16/13. The first time a new Star Wars audiobook was not available on audible.com the same day as the release date, as far as I can remember, anyway. But better late than never.
    Gorefiend likes this.
  20. JediMatteus Force Ghost

star 4
    i have this on the kindle, but have not looked at it yet
  21. Vespasian Jedi Master

star 1
  22. cthugha Force Ghost

star 3
    Just starting to read this, but...
    "R2-D2, masculine astromech droid" (Dramatis Personae)
    ...seriously? :oops:
  23. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5

What... did you think he was the girl in his and C3POs partnership? :p
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Sep 27, 2013
    Reaper63, cthugha and kataja like this.
  24. kataja Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, we've seen masciline and feminine translator droids - why not astromechs too? Though
    the idea of gendered droids opens up for a whole lot of awkward thoughts... :p

Around my first 60 pages into RE and really enjoying it. Like others, I really love Leia's voice in this, both how genuine it sounds, and how relevant charcater/continuity relevant thoughts she expresses. And her interaction with Han is both fun and spot on!

BTW - will the shortening for this be RE - or EARRE? I noticed that in the wook it wasn't found under Razor's Edge but under Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge.
    Last edited by kataja, Sep 27, 2013
  25. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Oh Droids can't get any more awkward than Guri and hey as far as I am concerned 3PO and R2 clearly are one of the first on screen same sex couples in popular fiction.