main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books EMPIRE & REBELLION: RAZOR'S EDGE by Martha Wells: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Sep 6, 2013.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah book covers are a joke now. At leats the njo ones were fairly cool

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    The diversity was in the other pirate crew which is not pictured here.

krtmd likes this.
  3. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Is it poor form to say I didn't care for the official TFN reviews? One mentioned "fangirls" and the other "Han and Leia shippers" in what I could only interpret as a negative way. And both are men...

I haven't finished the book, but I am enjoying it. I think Leia seems pretty much in character, which matters a lot to me. I hate when the characters are sacrificed to the plot gods.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There are some really bad phrases in those reviews, I'm waiting for Horsey's!

5. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    It's up.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the tip-off, definitely grabbing the paperback on the cheap when it comes out next year.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    She also did Leia in TFU and the Detours trailers, but I never thought she really did Leia all that well.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    They must now adapt this into a late-series episode of Rebels. This I command. [face_plain]

10. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Imperial Customs Corvette! :D

11. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm a pretty big audiobooker. Been using audible.com for a while now. There is an unabridged audiobook for this one; however, it is not available via audible.com. Anyone have any insight as to why? Every newly released unabridged Star Wars audiobook has been available on audible.com right away for years now. Wondering what happened with this one.

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Might just be delayed

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Ah, figures. The crew not worth a picture :p

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I finished it this morning. I enjoyed it, and again, I thought Martha Wells got Leia's voice right. Obviously, it's not world changing - and it really can't be, given the time period in which it's set. Unfortunately, that time period really works against Luke in particular, who isn't really used effectively in this novel. I thought Leia's feelings around the destruction of Alderaan and the piracy of the survivors she encounters rang true to both what I would expect from someone in her position, as well as the Leia who appears in the films.

I also enjoyed the very very short tease for the Han book, due up next. According to the timeline, it will actually fall earlier than Leia's book.

15. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Yeah - my thought too. They have tee shirts in GFFA now too? I have my cosplay outfit ready then :p

I thought so. And fear the same about the Han novel :( Considering Luke in Allegiance and CoO was really passive too I'm very glad we get the Hearne novel! Not that I have good experience of hoping too much of a SW book...o_O

ChildOfWinds and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Wonder when we will get word on the Luke novel.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    A note for those in the UK - Amazon UK has a 1-3 week delay on this. I ordered from Amazon US as it's in stock there. (Also ordered a 2014 SW wall calendar..)

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I enjoyed this one too. I think Wells hit all the right notes for Leia: capturing both her dedication for the cause over self, her frustration with being treated as a symbol (ties in well with the Star Wood comics!), doing the Han/Leia stuff really well because she's good at getting into Leia's head in those early days and capturing the initial attraction as well as the frustration, and especially getting across that Leia knows what she's doing.

I'm kinda sad that this isn't a Leia-centric trilogy written by Wells, tbh.

edit: Also, heh -- I'll echo the thought that the full-cast art thing should've been the cover. It worked well for Scoundrels! Moreover, it would've been helpful in visualizing the characters (though Wells did pretty well describing everyone).

krtmd likes this.
  19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002

Follow-up: in case any one cares, the unabridged audio was made available on audible.com yesterday, 9/16/13. The first time a new Star Wars audiobook was not available on audible.com the same day as the release date, as far as I can remember, anyway. But better late than never.

Gorefiend likes this.
  20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i have this on the kindle, but have not looked at it yet

21. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Okay.

I'm going to read this book.:D I didn't plan to do it before.

22. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Just starting to read this, but...
    "R2-D2, masculine astromech droid" (Dramatis Personae)
    ...seriously? :oops:

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

What... did you think he was the girl in his and C3POs partnership? :p

Reaper63, cthugha and kataja like this.
  24. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Well, we've seen masciline and feminine translator droids - why not astromechs too? Though
    the idea of gendered droids opens up for a whole lot of awkward thoughts... :p

Around my first 60 pages into RE and really enjoying it. Like others, I really love Leia's voice in this, both how genuine it sounds, and how relevant charcater/continuity relevant thoughts she expresses. And her interaction with Han is both fun and spot on!

BTW - will the shortening for this be RE - or EARRE? I noticed that in the wook it wasn't found under Razor's Edge but under Empire and Rebellion: Razor's Edge.

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Oh Droids can't get any more awkward than Guri and hey as far as I am concerned 3PO and R2 clearly are one of the first on screen same sex couples in popular fiction.