main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire Strikes Back Is NOT enjoyable

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by tommy-lin, Sep 20, 2015.

1. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    The empire wants Luke, not Han or Leia.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    It's amusing to see people's outrage at someone suggesting ESB isn't perfect. If anything, I guess it's equal time for the ROTJ trolling thread here.

ESB is my second favorite SW film, and frankly I'm hard pressed to have anything negative to say about any of the OT. But to each his own.

3. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014

Agree with 90% of this post, but to me ESB is superior to ROTJ, because of its originality, and the Cloud City sequence being superior to anything in ROTJ.

4. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I agree with most of this. The one scene that rose above "Empire Strikes Back", at least for me, was that final scene between Luke, Anakin and Palpatine aboard the Death Star II.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Indeed. That whole sequence involving Luke, Anakin/Vader, and Sidious is the best part of the film. We get to see Luke face his temptations and choose the Jedi path, and we see Anakin become whole again.

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I woke up read this thread and gave it a few minutes in case I was dreaming :) Seriously though each to their own.

But for me it's my favourite SW film and one of my favourites ever. I and many other others have discussed the things we love about the film to death on here, from the score to the character development to the story to the effects to expanding the mythology to the cinematography.... It changed how sequels could be regarded. It wasn't a rehash, it was something different. It was groundbreaking in that it set up a third act and didn't resolve everything. Look how many big trilogies have done this since. It took some balls to invest all that money and decide to do what they did, but it really paid off IMO. It is widely regarded as one of the best films of all time for a reason.

But hey not everyone has the same opinions. Credit for posting yours.

Yanksfan and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I suspect it was a troll post.

Not that simply saying that ESB is boring is trolling. Controversial does not automatically equal trolling.

But notice the total lack of responses by the TS. Then when you try to open the TS' profile, it says "Error, this user's profile is not available." Which I think means the user has been banned.

So, a drive by "controversial" post, with no responses, and an immediate ban. What does that add up to? Troll. Probably one that has been banned before, and now has been banned again.

Not that it's a big deal. The discussion can continue if there's any interest. But the OP is an attempt at trolling, and the TS will not be participating in this thread.

8. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    "TS"? We usually use the term "OP", meaning "opening poster". What's "TS"?

9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Thread starter? Probably something I learned a long time ago and stuck with it.

For me, OP = opening post.

*shrugs*

And since you responded, precluding a double post on my part, the OP also looks like copypasta.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I use TS and OP the same way, makes more sense than "opening poster."

I might have gotten the acronyms from you.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Then the day is mine!

12. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Thats cool OP. Everybody has an opinion and yours is different so thats cool. :) Some parts of esb can be real boresome.

13. The hidden holocron

Sep 16, 2015
    Ep.V is my favourite SW chapter, but i have got an answer: how the empire knew that Han was going to go to Cloud City?

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Fett tracked him, probably just figured it out based on his course.

15. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    The Empire Strikes Back is not only by far the best Star Wars movie, but it's also one of the best motion pictures ever made. It probably has a 97% or 98% approval rating on rottentomatoes and similar sites. If you don't like it, that's your opinion, we can assume you are among the "special" 2 or 3%.

16. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

How long did it take the Falcon to reach Bespin? Because it arrived just shortly before Luke departed from Dagobah to save Han and Luke.

17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This pretty much sums up my feelings. The action there is in the movie is great, but the real appeal of the film is the drama. I don't need action to keep my attention. In fact, a lot of modern movies have waaay too much action for my tastes.

Never seen "TS" used for Thread Starter in English before, but it's commonly used for "trådstartare" (literally thread starter) in Swedish.

darklordoftech and Artoo-Dion like this.
  18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Neat. That may be where it came from.

19. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    And to think, all this time, I thought OP stood for "Original Poster"

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Really? I don't share his opinion but that was still uncalled for.

Valairy Scot and darklordoftech like this.
  21. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Why not? It's clearly meant as double entendre and left to the interpretation of each reader. Considering the OP stated as a fact that the Empire Strikes Back is not enjoyable, it can be construed that he/she views the opinions of 97-98% of other viewers as inferior to their his/her own. Wouldn't that make their opinion special?

22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

The novelization makes it clear that it took the Falcon a few weeks to get to Bespin. This was due to its inability to jump to lightspeed at the time. Han, Leia, Chewie, and 3PO were just limping along in the ship as a result. This gave Luke weeks to train with Yoda on Dagobah. I wondered if it was a few days until I read the novelization twelve years years ago. The movie can be a bit confusing in that sense.

23. The hidden holocron

Sep 16, 2015
    Mmm... it's the opinion of the Star Wars fans, right? Because before 90s many reviews did not agree.

24. The hidden holocron

Sep 16, 2015
    Yes, it can be a bit confusing. Maybe the Empire knows that Bespin is the closest place where you can repair the hyperdrive and it understand their route.

25. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

95% on RT, 76% on metacritic, and 8.8/10 on IMDB...and the "special" wasn't really necessary. :p