main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire Strikes Back Is NOT enjoyable

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by tommy-lin, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  2. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    TESB changed the meaning of SW it changed the entire narrative of the saga in the best way imo. To me George Lucas the artist had his fingerprints all over it. It took ANH classic but safe story and changed it into a deep personal family/destiny story. The whole movie for me leads up to one line that sums it up "the force is with you young Skywalker but you are not a Jedi yet" gives me chills every time. From Ben telling Luke to go to Degobah and the things yoda tells Luke before he accepts him as a student you as the audience start to sense this is not going to be easy or fun at all for Luke and that's why it's my favorite of the saga no glamour all grit.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I concur. I appreciate thoughtful, personal stories. There's usually more at stake besides collective situations. It can be melodramatic, but that's okay if it is well-executed. TESB is marvelous for its story and acting, and I do love that haunting line from Vader. Well said.

4. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I think ESB is somewhat overrated. But the OP just reeks of troll thread.

5. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Considering the OP hasn't logged in since last month, I'd say they made it to troll and nothing more.

6. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Most likely.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I never found ESB boring, even as a kid. But that's maybe because I enjoy slow atmospheric movies. I love 2001, Alien and the extended LotR trilogy. I never found anything boring about them. I don't have to have a lot of action in order to enjoy a movie. I do find ESB somewhat overrated though. It appears that to many fans that one is the single best SW film of all. I don't agree, but I still enjoy the movie. It's certainly the darkest chapter of the OT. By the way, has anyone noticed that this darkest chapter is the ONLY SW episode (OT and PT) in which no major character dies? Except for a few Imperial admirals, unknown rebels and the Wampa, no one dies in Empire.:cool:

Sarge likes this.
  8. Pax12

Pax12 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 14, 2015
    It may be true, "from a certain point of view."

But in my point of view, ESB is enjoyable as it combines action and romance with excellent dialogue and fantastic visuals.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  9. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I respectfully disagree with EVERYTHING the OP said. Specially the bit about AOTC being a good example of a 2nd act movie. The last time I watched that movie, I felt depressed. No joke.

Darth Mikey, Dinos4Ever and Sarge like this.
  10. hdridernate

hdridernate Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    I loved TESB s a kid & I love it as an adult. TESB & ROTJ are by far my favorite to date, of all 6 films! The prequels were a waste ... that's for sue! I think for me, it's a toss up between TESB & ROTJ for my favorite Star Wars film .... that is ... until VII VIII IX come out! Please don't disappoint me like the prequels! :bb8:

11. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm so glad you feel that way, now I know for certain this truly is one of the greatest films of all time.

hdridernate likes this.
  12. hdridernate

Nov 5, 2015
    @PHIERY - I don't think you can even call yourself a Star Wars fan if you don't love all 3 of the original films ... :xwing:

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Please don't do that.

Star Wars fandom should be inclusive - no matter if you love all six movies, just the originals, just the prequels, just the very first film, or whatever - you're still a Star Wars fan, and should be welcomed into this community.

14. hdridernate

Nov 5, 2015
    I guess i forgot the LOL on the end!
    I was just kidding ... please dont get bent out of shape!
    Have a Force Filled Weekend! :-B

15. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Funny how it’s been my favorite since its opening weekend then.

Tosche_Station and hdridernate like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly.

For the purposes of this community, anyone who likes any aspect of Star Wars is a Star Wars fan.

Now let's discuss Empire Strikes Back, not each other and not the old "True Fan Debate."

17. hdridernate

Nov 5, 2015
    Nothing like beating a dead horse right ....
    No harm done lol. My apologies...

18. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    We have arrived and it is now that we preform our charge. In fealty to the Emperor, our UNDYING lord and by the grace of the dark side, we declare this thread to be full of TREASONOUS FABRICATIONS. To all those who listen to these lies, who wish to test the empire strikes back's strength, you will answer to me.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  20. GremlinOfTheOrder

GremlinOfTheOrder Jedi Padawan

Oct 22, 2015

Of course it's their opinion? What's your point? They didn't state otherwise...

I love Empire, but like every SW film (or every film in general), it's not perfect. I can love a film to pieces but be able to acknowledge it's flaws. Jaws is my favorite movie ever. I consider it perfect...but I know it's not and can find things that bug me about it. But I consider it perfect because the film does it's job so well that the nitpicks don't matter.

Empire is along those lines. The time frame is royal screwed. What seems like days or weeks on Dagobah seems like mere hours-at most a day for the Falcon. I know people will come in here giving me reasons as to why this isn't so-but ancillary media doesn't count. You can't use a novelization or a deleted scene or whatever to justify something that's not in the film. It doesn't work that way. As it stands, the editing of the two separate plots simply don't match up. This is a pretty massive flaw imo, but it never seems to get mentioned. Instead, people harp on Ewoks.

21. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I agree that it's not good for people to believe that what they love this perfect. I can relate to your attitude in this area.

22. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    I have to agree with the OP. This is my least favorite of all the movies and I think highly over rated. When my husband wants to watch it I tune out quickly. Maybe it stems from the fact I was coming down with the flu when I first saw it and had nightmares because of the illness, or the fact that it really is dull to me. It has important storylines, but the Han/Leia never worked for me, and I wanted to see more Luke and training. Then as a teenage girl when it first came out I was a Luke girl and really didn't like Han at all. :D

23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
  24. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    This is actually a pretty good point! I was always wondering about that in the OT as well. I hope I am not going too far off-topic with this. If it has been discussed in another thread then someone please point it out to me.
    All the action of ANH takes place in a couple of days, a week at most. Opening sequence in space: an hour? Droids on Tatooine: 2 or 3 days? Falcon and Death Star: another few hours, half a day? Trip to Yavin and battle: a few hours at the most - the battle itself is just about 15 minutes. Then nothing much happens for 3 years and we have ESB. The action once again is concentrated into a very short time. In theory the Falcon could have been inside the asteroid for weeks or months while Luke is training. But I don't think so. Does it say anywhere how long they are there? Then the whole Bespin sequence and rest of the movie is just another couple of days at the most. Same thing in ROTJ: Tatooine: no more than 3 or 4 days. Rebel fleet: another few days maybe. Endor: I would say a week at most. This is an OT thread, so I won't talk about the prequels.
    My point is, I would have liked to see somewhere in the movies that time has passed. Like a small "flash-forward". Not that they would have needed captions reading "6 months later" or something. Just maybe small things like change of clothes, Luke saying "I have been training for a year now..." or whatever. I think it would have helped the story if more time had passed within the movies themselves, not just between them.

GremlinOfTheOrder likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

The EU managed to stretch the trip from Hoth to Bespin into a few weeks.