main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire Strikes Back Wampa Attack

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by nothinglikethesun9, Oct 29, 2015.

1. nothinglikethesun9

nothinglikethesun9 Jedi Master

May 29, 2009
    Hello, In Empire, there is a scene were snow falls onto R2's head. I think I read in the novelization and / or the comic adaptation that this was from a Wampa attack. Is this correct, and if so, wasn't it disappointing that special editions didn't include this scene. Thank-you.

2. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Yes, there are some deleted scenes showing a wampa attack to the rebel base in HOTH.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks Lord it was deleted.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Thank God. The movie didn't need it.

thejeditraitor and Jo Lucas like this.
  4. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Yes, the scenes with the wampas were never finished. And every image that has surficed is just terrible.
    However (and once more), it's a shame that the special effects were unable to portray Lucas' original vision of the creatures (which were meant to "swim" through the snow!)

And another small detail: it's been said that the original Wampa cave scene was better than the SE version of the scene because we never saw the creature and therefore, it was left to the imagination of the viewer. However, most people don't realize that, originally, the Wampa was not meant to be fully seen in that scene BECAUSE the big reveal would come in the Rebel Base attack, in which several Wampas would be seen. But we were always meant to see the full creature at some point.

5. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    its on youtube. Its hilarious.

6. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
  7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Great seeing the deleted Wampa scenes again!
    Those are so funny! Maybe like colorized rehearsals from a discarded Twilight Zone episode.

Darth__Lobot and Dandelo like this.
  8. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Aye, it is like a 80's nightmare [face_hypnotized]

9. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Wampa arm pulls snow trooper out of frame and then Vader marches up and just stares at the door. Lol.

Force Smuggler and Ananta Chetan like this.
  10. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    It would be nice to see Vader fighting a wampa with his lightsaba!

11. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Haha. Slice and dice.
    I always liked the Wampa scenes the way they were in the OOT.
    It was kind of cool to extend them in the SE but I find the OOT version more suspenseful and dramatic.

12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I'm showing the Star Wars films to my fifth-graders (discussing archetypes, plot, conflict, etc.) I was showing the OT trailers, and the ESB trailer had the snippet of 3PO pulling the orange warning sheet off the door. I giggled.

13. butlerd

butlerd Jedi Master star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    I was just playing the Star Wars trilogy arcade game and they included a part where you go into that room and fight the Wampas

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What I think the SE should have done is only show the Wampa after Luke cuts its arm off.

Sarge and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  15. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    I actually really like the deleted wampa attack scenes. Sure, the wampa's don't look very good, but the suspense and atmosphere of the scenes are very scary.
    I'm still glad they weren't in the movie, though. Like someone here already said, the movie didn't need it. The ultimate threat for the Rebels was the Empire.

16. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    There are some deleted scenes from the saga that I wish had stayed in, but the wampa attack is most definitely not one of them.

Jo Lucas and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I read somewhere that that wampa became well-known afterwards for only having one arm.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  18. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013

[​IMG]

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Vader was supposed to speak. He asked what happened and the Snowtrooper said that it was a Rebel trap.

In "Darksaber", Luke takes Callista Ming to Hoth as part of an effort to reconnect her to the Force by revisiting planets where he experienced strong connections to the Force for the first time. While inside what was left of Echo Base, the two of them become surrounded by Wampas and one of them is the one that had attacked him and he had wounded.

20. HowManyMidichlorians

HowManyMidichlorians Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2015
    The door (as seen below) is seen twice in the Echo Base scenes. The symbol and writing is said to translate as a warning sign for Wampas. The rebels were capturing and storing the creatures in this room. You'll see in the second viewing of the door in TESB, C3P0 actually double takes, to make sure that the Wampas are still secure inside, then he rips the poster off. In the original draft, the stormtroopers open the door when they storm the base and one is dragged inside and mauled.

Haven't seen that youtube footage yet, will take a look soon.

[​IMG]

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  21. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I recently read Leigh Brackett's original screenplay draft for The Empire Strikes Back and I'm almost certain that James Cameron must have somehow acquired a copy of it.

It actually reads like Aliens in the Star Wars Universe with the Wampas playing the role of the aliens in Cameron's sequel to Alien.

I wonder if that could be the idea for an anthology movie set on Hoth: Wampas - it's so cold you'll freeze before you scream

22. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Ah, I see. That's interesting.

23. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    I think that I have watched that on Youtube, it isn't very good.

24. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I can't remember exactly which novel or author it was but I am sure somewhere in the Legends EU the Wampa that underwent Lightsaber Surgery not only survived but became some sort of military genius (by Wampa standards) and waging a war of revenge at the head of an army/clan of other Wampas. It was really hilariously awful but as you can tell, it stuck with me!

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like that one too. :p

Dagobahsystem likes this.