main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire Strikes Back Wampa Attack

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by nothinglikethesun9, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    It's great to be that guy having all the fun while Luke was hanging around.
    [​IMG]

2. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    It's reasonable to speculate that in the end, Kersh, Paul Hirsch, and/or others, just thought the wampas were an unnecessary distraction in the film. Of course Lucas felt otherwise, as he always cared most about the creatures and the stuff going on in the background. But after shooting all kinds of different takes, eventually the director and editor decided that the extra wampa scenes were not wanted. The reason could be that they didn't like the look, as was stated, but don't you think they would have noticed that on set and not shot all of that footage? Maybe they didn't like the look and I guess we take them at their word, but it's very reasonable to speculate that creative differences were the reason they weren't included.

Lucas loves the creatures and wanted the camera to give them as much time as possible. The other people were trying to make a tight character-driven narrative of a movie. In the end, the fat got cut.

Nibelung and Rickleo123 like this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But it is speculation, not fact on your part. We have official statements on the matter. No one is lying. Take off the tin foil hat.

4. Prequel_Rubbish

Dec 5, 2014
    I said it was speculation. And reasonable speculation at that. It's interesting to discuss. We're here to discuss Star Wars after all, so if you would like to do that in a polite way without being insulting, that would be great. Thanks.

Mod Edit: Knock it off, and that includes the sarcasm. Discuss in a civil matter or not at all.

5. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Ah, Irony.

6. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Necessary irony.

Nibelung and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  7. Prequel_Rubbish

Dec 5, 2014
    This post of mine says it was edited by Bazinga'd, but I would like to point out that none of my words were edited. There is also nothing sarcastic in my post. And I was the one asking for another user to be respectful. Thank you.

Mod Edit: Please do no derail the thread by arguing. PM me if you want to discuss further.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    That Wampa deleted door scene is hilarious! I actually think it fits in well with ESB's other zany moments, including "laser brain," a box of tools falling on Han's head, R2 not tasting very good, etc.

darth-sinister likes this.
  9. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I will never forgive Lucasfilm for teasing us with the shotin the trailer of 3PO ripping the warning sign off. It lead us to believe the film would show us 3PO being heroic but gives us nothing of the sort. Simply a deception to get you on board with their agenda. Whatever that is.

10. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    For me though it feels more like humour pushing a bit too deep into the wider setting as we'd see on Endor. I think that along with making a lot of the humour based on wit a lot of the success of ANH and ESB is about compartmentalising it, characters like Han, 3PO, R2, etc have these more humorous moments that don't impinge onto the more serious setting very much. Really that's a lot of the influence of The Hidden Fortress I would say as a way of both having a serious setting AND having some levity.

Honestly I do tend to think that the Wampa FX much like Ridley Scott's Alien the year before were best left to as few shots as possible so as not to expose there weaknesses. What we actually got was I think very effective indeed dispite showing very little.

Both of these issues are I'd say something you often actually need to film to really see the issues, pretty much all of the extra ESB material for me just highlights how good the editing of that film actually was.

11. Prequel_Rubbish

Dec 5, 2014
    Jaws was filmed that way too. Less is more.

Sarge likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    "Jaws" was filmed that way because Bruce the shark kept breaking down due to the salt in the water screwing up the electronics. If not for that, we'd see the shark in full view.

13. Prequel_Rubbish

Dec 5, 2014
    And the movie would have been a lot less successful and looked like a B picture instead. Good thing it worked out the way it did.

Rickleo123 and Sarge like this.
  14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Maybe, maybe not. "Star Wars", though, has always been a B movie. That includes TESB.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  15. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Agreed and another brilliant reason hiring Kirshner to direct was hands down the best decision Lucas ever made. It makes absolutely zero sense that a "Wampa attack" would take place while the Rebels are under attack by the Empire. It totally deflates the main threat of the story. Wampas are mindless savage beasts that live in isolation in the caves on Hoth why would they waste energy attacking a fortified military base that the Empire has trouble breaking into?

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Wampas were already breaking in before the Empire shows up. You can see it early in the deleted scenes. They're trying to get in because they're starving. Food is scare and here's a supply of fresh food. And the Empire doesn't have trouble getting in. They blast the shield generator and that's it. All Echo Base is is a bunch of snow and ice hollowed out. The exterior of the base that we see are the shield generators. It's not Fort Knox.

17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. The main thing going for Echo Base was its secrecy. Once the Empire found out where they were, the game was up.

Sarge likes this.
  18. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    I do not think she should be in the movie. It does not add anything to it. The Battle of Hoth is only centered on the Empire and the Alliance.

Are these photos known?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nibelung likes this.
  19. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016

They would have been good with the special effects we have today. The movie came out long before Jurassic Park but had they Jurassic Park level of CGI those scenes could have been epic.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    That's why when the SE's were being made, another suit was made. It wasn't so much that the technology wasn't there. The designs were just altered. CG wasn't used in 96 for the Wampa. Lucas had the time to figure out what went wrong with the original design and had it fixed. He just trusted Kershner's instinct to leave the rest of Act I alone, aside from darkening the Snow Speeders.

Yes, they're known.

21. MisterJedi2002

MisterJedi2002 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2017
    This picture scene is in the movie, it's in the part of: ''Then I'll See You in Hell ''.

22. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    The Wampa attack was a good cut. Wasn't necessary to the plot of the movie.

23. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The real point of the Wampa stuff was to have threats breathing down the rebels necks, particularly Luke, from the get go. And it shows Luke's friends and comrades dealing with a problem while he is detained.

Luckily, the environment on its own was forbidding enough that they could do without the intervention of multiple Wampas and they got enough out of what they had to make Luke's danger credible.

24. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    They can make an "Anthology" movie out of all the cut ESB Wampa scenes.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  25. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014

Wampas Attack: A Snowy Star Wars Story......