main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EMPIRE vs REPUBLIC....Throw your blows!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ausar_vos, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ausar_vos

ausar_vos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    In the race between those two Star Wars comic series, I feel REPUBLIC (John&Jan) is winning by a landslide. But others may be of a different opinion (for some reason?).

This is the throwdown thread. Intended of course, to share points of views in a civilized and respectful manner toward both each other and the artists who work so hard to please us malcontent fans month after month.

But as for why I prefer R over E, well, Quinlan of course! But also the ongoing aspect of the series and the feeling of it advancing the Prequel plot toward ROTS and increasing it's momentum. I find Empire lacks direction and focus, as well as a good subplot.

2. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Um, the paper Republic is printed on smells a bit better? I dunno. They're both good by me.

3. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Empire is better because it's more random -- come on, we got a BoShek issue! and the heroes fighting strange monsters (A Little Piece of Home, Alone Together, etc.) When was the last time that Aayla fought a large tentacled thingy?

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    When was the last time that Aayla fought a large tentacled thingy?

Republic #49. :p

Seriously, though, they both have different merits. Reoublic has the ongoing story right now and it is in the "current" time frame. Empire will become more popular in due time.

5. Nrin

Nrin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Republic by a country mile.

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Republic

Empire just really needs a make over. It need a goal with it' story lines. The story's so far really have had no reason to be told. For instance, Empire 22, why do I need to be told that Leia loves Han by some chick who was created only for that purpose? There's no reason at all. The story's are to simple and are just cramming an already filled up era with stuff that it doesn't need. Some compare Empire to Marvel, but I believe Marvel was much better than this. Of course Marvel had space, time was fruitful for Marvel, because the Empire era was thin.

I'm not even looking forward to Empire 27 because I have the feelings it's gonna have the same effect as 22. It's gonna involve a storyline that doesn't need to be told, just to add a Clone War Reference. Which is to introduce and kill off the Clone Troopers in the comic. I hope I'm wrong with that, but I have a big feeling that's where it's going.

If it were me. I would make this whole idea of the Rebell fleet being hunted down, the main priority of Empire(the series). It's probably the only storyline, involving the Big 3 that can go anywhere.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Republic. Hands down.

8. james_hewlett

james_hewlett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2004
    Republic (as it is/has been since 49), for a few reasons, I like the way all the clone wars stuff ties in, John and Jan, great characters, and even the passing referances are cool. Empire has had some really good issues in the past, ones that come to mind are: the Darklighter run, 13 good one shot story I liked it a lot, 16 17 18 aparently they have plans for whats his name to come back, that'd be really cool he was a good character. 19 seemed to have a good idea but seemed very unfinished, yeah ok its linked with 24 25, but still, seemed as if it could have gone further. 20 21, not good, seemed pointless. On that note we come to 22, I dont think anything needs to be said there, it was just bad, really really bad. 23 was good, I hope it will be carried on, I don't think they can leave it as is. Others I havn't mentioned are because they are good, but not exceptional or perticually bad. I think the last bad issue of Republic was, well, I can't think of one really, there are a few that arn't quite as good as the others (cough 67, sorry Randy cough) but they all are cool and add to the Clone Wars.

Oh, just a quick question, whenever I've tried to sign up to the DH boards it says invalid_sesion, can anyone help there? I've been trying for probably about a year now.

9. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    empire needs direction.

there are plenty of stories they could tell including characters we love.
    or expanding stories from books.

but as it is and has been - i really have no interest in most of the stories.
    there were a few vader emperor stories and i enjoyed them a lot.

how bout some mara jade, kyle katarn, tons of other stuff better than what they have been doing.

on the other hand- for so many many many reasons -- republic rocks / is awesome / is phenomenal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. james_hewlett

james_hewlett Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2004
    I agree with that, and yeah characters like Kyle and Mara, who both had things to do with the Empire and the Rebellion should get stories. Also, if they're did a BoShek issue, how about a Dash Rendar issue, I no a lot of you don't like him, and yes he was just there to fill Han's place, but still, he was at Hoth, so we could have him as a lead in story to where we meet ESB. Then they could do something similar to the storm trooper story in 13 but seeing the events of Bespin, from Lobots pov.

11. ausar_vos

ausar_vos Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2004
    THE REPUBLIC DOMINATES! THE EMPIRE CRUMBLES UNDER THE MIGHTY PENS OF JOHN OSTRANDER/JAN - HADEN BLACKMAN/CHING.

Who...will stand to save the Empire? Jeremy/Brandon? Boshek did rock...

12. Terz

Terz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    republic > chiss > empire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.